Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Rose of Versailles Episode 36 Discussion

Dec 2, 2008 12:29 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"The Watchword is "Au Revoir""

(synopsis courtesy of Wikipedia)

A lot of transition and foreshadowing in this ep. It seems Robespierre is making his powerplay, just as St. Just said.

May 27, 2009 9:20 PM

Oh I knew Robespierre was evil. Oscar is getting ready to die and that is very sad.

Marie is an idiot.
My anime list

Dec 21, 2010 11:10 AM

It's kinda sad thinking that Oscar is sick :((
Until I've read the comments from some episodes, I didn't think about Oscar's death at all. She seemed all right to me, but now, whenever I think about it, it makes me sad :(

Feb 12, 2011 2:00 PM
Au Revoir?

it's more like À Dieu...

wtf Oscar is sick? This show has so much resemblance with LOGH LOL

Mar 8, 2011 12:42 PM

LotGH spoilers:
Modified by Alas86, Mar 8, 2011 12:54 PM

Apr 23, 2011 12:55 PM

SuperSaiyen said:
Au Revoir?

it's more like À Dieu...

wtf Oscar is sick? This show has so much resemblance with LOGH LOL

This disease runs in the family
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Sep 25, 2011 12:06 PM
Everyone thinks the same as me ^^. It seems todays "die-flashy-and-come-back-alive" is yesterdays "die-of-a-sickness-because-it's-more-realistic-and-tragic".

It's a shame, really.
no more forums

Dec 11, 2012 7:13 AM
Oh! They've said the r-word! It's happening!
Another sign of Oscar's illness last episode occurred to me watching this. If she wasn't sick, she would've chased Saint-Just instead of simply throwing her sword. I was wondering how they would deal with Oscar and the revolution since the earlier episodes, and I guess it's pretty clear now.
Louis has been getting an acceptable amount of screentime. It'd just be cool he didn't spend it dropping the ball at every available chance.

Feb 22, 2013 4:56 AM

Crap Oscar not you too I don't want another Souji Okita. T^T

Well all hell is breaking loose in Paris now.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"

Oct 29, 2013 12:07 AM

Oh Marie....you are a spoiled brat and an idiot to the very end. I have no sympathy for her or the king. I feel bad for Oscar but she made the right call.

Jan 3, 2014 12:08 PM

Viva la revolution!!!!

Oct 8, 2014 9:25 AM

WolfWood37 said:
Oh Marie....you are a spoiled brat and an idiot to the very end. I have no sympathy for her or the king. I feel bad for Oscar but she made the right call.

She screwed France over right until the end lol.

Oct 19, 2014 2:11 PM

mitamaking said:
Oh I knew Robespierre was evil.

Alas86 said:
LotGH spoilers:

Obviously they're related!

I guess it'll pull a LotGH ending on us:

Mar 10, 2015 8:58 PM

oh no.......Oscar is as good as dead. I'm going to be crying at 1 am over an anime character.......

I take back what I had said about Marie....she's still naive. damn her! if she wasn't didn't persuade the king, everything would have been easier

May 28, 2015 11:17 PM
Forum Moderator
Top Aidoru ♪

It has been around 20 years since Oscar and Marie first met? Holy crap, the passing time still hasn't sunk in for me yet. That means they're well into their 30s by now. Rose of Versailles has been moving at a breakneck speed, a pace full of necks getting broken as well. With things accelerating within the past few episodes, there's no breathing room at all - a far cry from how this show first started off. It's almost frightening how much things have changed.

Jan 11, 2016 8:00 AM

The beginning of an end. My body is ready for the Revolution.

Feb 16, 2016 8:46 PM

I am not ready, Not ready for the revolution, been stalling this episode for long . Poor Antoniette, Oscar anbandoned her. Seriously Oscar, You shouldn't broke your promise.

I thought Oscar would be the sole survivor..

Jun 17, 2016 5:37 PM
Marie Antoinette is just so... ugh, Why did she have to dismiss Jacques Necker. I know he's been a horrible Queen, but knowing what's coming up next I can't help but feel bad for her.

It's also said that her an Oscar had to end our 20-year long friendship, just because she was being stubborn.

Apr 22, 2017 11:21 PM

That was an amazing episode - like all the kinda-historical episodes have been.

The Oscar-Antoinette farewell scene was the first that made me tear up in this series too. That scene carried the weight of their entire relationship. From Oscar's PoV: to be forced to betray a beloved friend and liege like that, because you know she is in the wrong, but yet getting racked by guilt for turning a blind eye to her faults before and leaving her to the hounds now that she is irredeemable. From Antoinette's PoV: her last bastion and pillar of loyalty just betrayed her, leaving behind the irrefutable truth that her kingdom is crumbling all around her. This is it, this is the end. This isn't au revoir, this is adieu.

Jul 11, 2017 11:29 AM

Oscar did well, 20 years passed and Marie is still as retarded, not much to do.

Sep 23, 2017 6:37 PM

That last scene was so majestic!
The melancholic colors, the sadness of the characters ...
I'm ready for the revolution!

Sep 26, 2017 11:47 PM
Arachnophobic said:
That was an amazing episode - like all the kinda-historical episodes have been.

The Oscar-Antoinette farewell scene was the first that made me tear up in this series too. That scene carried the weight of their entire relationship. From Oscar's PoV: to be forced to betray a beloved friend and liege like that, because you know she is in the wrong, but yet getting racked by guilt for turning a blind eye to her faults before and leaving her to the hounds now that she is irredeemable. From Antoinette's PoV: her last bastion and pillar of loyalty just betrayed her, leaving behind the irrefutable truth that her kingdom is crumbling all around her. This is it, this is the end. This isn't au revoir, this is adieu.
Miru said:
That last scene was so majestic!
The melancholic colors, the sadness of the characters ...
I'm ready for the revolution!

this. antoinette is a terrible queen who makes bad decisions, but i just can't seem to hate her.

Dec 14, 2017 2:44 PM

Oh shit,not ready for what's going to happen.

Farewell betwenn Oscar and Antoinette was so sad.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Jan 4, 2018 4:59 AM

That last scene was really depressing and intense. I really liked it although it saddens me to see that they won't meet again and that their friendship is over. I'm nostalgic looking back at the first few eps. As for Marie, she hasn't been a good Queen at all, she hasn't cared for the commoners but I still can't seem to dislike her in this adaptation, maybe because her character has been fleshed out really well. As for Robespierre, the foreshadowing was well-done.
Marie Antoinette is a JoJo

Jan 6, 2018 4:52 PM
I think Marie Antoinette seeming like she's become unbearable is more because of how little focus there was at her for some time rather than anything else. They should've probably smoothed that out a bit more, though.

Oscar having a terminal illness sounds unnecessary to me.

I found the scene with Oscar and Marie Antoinette pretty nice, both because I quite care about their relationship and also because of how nicely it was done in terms of presentation.

Apr 28, 2018 3:26 PM
Minha menina está morrendo!!! Não posso suportar a ideia!!
Antonieta será a causa do fim do reinado!! O rei é um batata que só segue a opinião dos outros! É um fantoche!

Apr 3, 4:53 PM
I hate how they portrayed Saint-Just why the hell in the anime he's talking bad about Robespierre while in real history he was the biggest defender of Robespierre.