Forum Settings
Forums

Will you still actively watch anime if every illegal source of anime was shut down?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Mar 24, 2015 10:09 AM

Jan 2008
Shuhan said:
Paying for something with terrible quality isnt really my style. Literally everything I download now is 1080p.

1080p for an ep of animu is excessive and a waste of time to torrent. 720p is the sharpest resolution you can actually discern any visual changes compared to lower resolutions. Also it's pretty great to sit out on comfy living room furniture to kick back and watch anime on CR using the Roku.
๐˜”๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜ฐ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ. ๐˜ˆ ๐˜ค๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ด. ๐˜๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ด ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ.
Mar 24, 2015 10:44 AM
โ–ฌโ–ฌฮนโ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•๏บค

Feb 2012
I'm barely active enough as it is, haha. I feel it'd be much easier to keep up if I only watched anime I could watch legally. Since there would be a lot less to choose from. Tbh, I'd prob just watch anything Funimation has on their YT channel.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." โ›ฉ๏ธ

Mar 24, 2015 11:00 AM

Sep 2014
Maybe only when i'll earn my own money.
Mar 24, 2015 11:19 AM

Nov 2014
I own many DVDs and Blu-ray Discs.. I do what I can now to make sure I'm watching everything legally. And when I can't obtain a physical copy of something. I'll just stream it on crunchyroll or funimation's website. No big deal. The only times I'm going to stream illegitimately now is if I'm looking for some obscure OVA or something. XD But my answer, yes. I will definitely keep watching anime.
TheDerpManMar 24, 2015 11:22 AM
Mar 25, 2015 7:34 AM

Mar 2014
I'll probably get Crunchyroll and I would use netflix too since I have it, but Netflix is very slow on adding new anime and they don't have all of the seasons of a finished anime. ._.
Mar 25, 2015 7:37 AM
โ™ก( โ€ขเฅขโ—ก-เฅข)โœงห–ยฐ โ™ก

Dec 2014
....then it is time to stop watching any new anime temporarily and buy the originals in the future for sequel of my favorite anime.

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ ๐“˜ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฑ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ♥
Mar 25, 2015 7:38 AM

Jun 2012
Nah, I don't have the money for that, so I wouldn't if there were no way to watch it for free.
"I'm gonna make you bleed like me!"
Characterization Society
Discord
Mar 25, 2015 7:42 AM

Jul 2014
If it won't cost much, cause Im only a student atm :
Mar 25, 2015 11:30 AM

Sep 2014
Yup, I already have Netflix and Funimation for streaming so I would only miss out on a few series I'd like to watch that weren't available on either of those.

Add me on League of Legends: BigT - NA Server
Mar 25, 2015 7:23 PM

Aug 2009
I will definitely keep watching anime.
I DO have my backup resources to watch anime, There just aren't as many animes as I'd like to see on the legal services.
Hulu, crunchyroll, and a few other sites are legal and free for SD (standard definition with commercials. And netflix would be just plain stupid to get for anime. I mean there's only 20 on there at a time, and usually stuff that's on funi's website.
IF I have to, I'll buy anime USED online, by the volume for pennies and pay for the shipping. [haha]. Then I can focus my efforts on watching tv shows and movies that I have hoarded from pawn shops [yes I know, ridiculous]
Fortunately, I live in the US, so there are many LEGAL ways to see anime. :) I have also found that public libraries have manga and anime, so If I ever had to, I'd borrow a few.
dakotasapphireMar 25, 2015 7:27 PM
Mar 25, 2015 7:25 PM

Nov 2009
Cant afford it so guess I would move onto other vices =(
Mar 26, 2015 12:03 PM

Apr 2014
Nahh, probably just a few...
Mar 26, 2015 12:05 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
At this point I don't really use any illegal streaming sites or torrents for anime. I pay for Crunchyroll and for Funi and I'm happy with that.
Mar 26, 2015 9:11 PM

Mar 2012
There would definitely be more legal sites like Crunchyroll created to fill the gap. Where there is demand there will be supply.
However, for the sake of discussion, if there wasn't any new sites: Yes, though I likely wouldn't watch it as frequently. But I would lap up anything on Netflix pretty quickly and surely would find cheaper dvds and stuff on occasion. It would work out somehow.
Mar 26, 2015 9:31 PM

Apr 2013
Na fam. AnimeTorrents op. I probably would watch some of the trash anime on Netflix, and I might get crunchyroll even though a lot of their shows are aimed towards casuals
Mar 26, 2015 9:33 PM

Jul 2012
Id re-watch what I have on DVD.
Mar 27, 2015 6:32 PM

Mar 2015
Define illegal? Cuz I was reading a thing the other day that said, In Florida at least, that it's not illegal to download, just illegal to distribute. I'm not going back to watching ONLY mainstream anime via TV or what have you, and I pay too many bills to religiously buy everything I want to watch. I do buy my favorite anime box sets though (when I can afford them). I have many sitting on my shelf like battle trophies.

Mar 27, 2015 6:50 PM

Mar 2013
I wouldn't mind paying for crunchyroll if there were no other options.
Mar 27, 2015 6:58 PM

Feb 2015
I'd just get a crunchyroll subscription.
Mar 27, 2015 7:15 PM

Mar 2015
retrogamer32x said:
The_Dean_Scream said:
Define illegal? Cuz I was reading a thing the other day that said, In Florida at least, that it's not illegal to download, just illegal to distribute. I'm not going back to watching ONLY mainstream anime via TV or what have you, and I pay too many bills to religiously buy everything I want to watch. I do buy my favorite anime box sets though (when I can afford them). I have many sitting on my shelf like battle trophies.

I want to nip that in the bud before the idea even gets started - it is a civil, not criminal, offense to download. No, you won't go to jail. But, you can be sued for $300,000 U.S. (actually, your parent whose name is on the ISP bill will be) for downloading ONE title (U.S. copyright law is in desperate need of reform); some content rights holders are doing this, it's a practice called copyright trolling. They will usually offer to settle for between $3,000 and $10,000 based on your income. Florida is one of the worst states for this, just read about Prenda Law. Before you say this hasn't happened with anime yet, yes it has, that's part of why I'm not crazy about supporting FUNi these days. Hollywood is also doing it, a notable example is Dallas Buyer's Club.

Here are some relevant blogs on copyright trolling, to give you an idea of how widespread this is:
http://fightcopyrighttrolls.com/
http://dietrolldie.com/

Interesting reads, thankyou for the info.

Mar 27, 2015 8:34 PM
Sep 2010
The_Dean_Scream said:
¨

How is life under the rock? Missed both Crunchyroll and FUNimation?
Mar 27, 2015 8:37 PM
Sep 2010
retrogamer32x said:
The_Dean_Scream said:

I want to nip that in the bud before the idea even gets started - it is a civil, not criminal, offense to download. No, you won't go to jail. But, you can be sued for $300,000 U.S. (actually, your parent whose name is on the ISP bill will be) for downloading ONE title (U.S. copyright law is in desperate need of reform); some content rights holders are doing this, it's a practice called copyright trolling. They will usually offer to settle for between $3,000 and $10,000 based on your income. Florida is one of the worst states for this, just read about Prenda Law. Before you say this hasn't happened with anime yet, yes it has, that's part of why I'm not crazy about supporting FUNi these days. Hollywood is also doing it, a notable example is Dallas Buyer's Club.

Here are some relevant blogs on copyright trolling, to give you an idea of how widespread this is:
http://fightcopyrighttrolls.com/
http://dietrolldie.com/

Suing Bittorrent users doesn't by itself qualify as Copyright Trolling, but I guess a pirate troll as you wouldn't understand the difference as you just throw out "copyright troll" at them when they are defending themselves from infringement.
Mar 28, 2015 8:20 AM
Sep 2010
retrogamer32x said:
Idria said:

Suing Bittorrent users doesn't by itself qualify as Copyright Trolling, but I guess a pirate troll as you wouldn't understand the difference as you just throw out "copyright troll" at them when they are defending themselves from infringement.

Defending themselves from infringement can be done by shutting down the streaming sites, and using six strikes notices to go after the downloaders without suing them. Six strikes was implemented as an educational tool to stop these lawsuits. I also don't think that $7000 is fair market value for some crummy movie, there need to be reasonable caps set on settlement amounts (or better yet, do away with these john doe IP address suits altogether). There are easy ways that you could stop the piracy, if you want: For instance, watermark the streams/files based on each users' account (many streaming services already do this), then you can just go after the uploader, not the parent of every kid who thinks they are screwing over the man by using torrents. Many of these rights holders are actually seeding their own content.

EDIT: This summarizes how I feel about current U.S. Copyright law - might be NSFW.

It isn't possible to shutdown all streaming sites as they are hosted in Russia, China or some other country that ignore copyright laws. The Six strikes system is a joke when you can get 30+ notices without anything happening what so ever. Well don't pirate it then and you won't have to pay excessive amounts for it, $7000 is quite reasonable amount considering you are also distributing the movie too not just downloading it. So you want to make it pseudo legal to download by banning lawsuits against the pirates? Uploaders have scrubbed the files before they release them on pirate sites, if you as a parent can't trust your kid not download maybe you shouldn't let the kid out on the internet in the first place.
Mar 28, 2015 8:26 AM

Jul 2014
If there's a site that doesn't do censoring, them MAYBE I'd consider subscribing.
Mar 28, 2015 8:44 AM

Nov 2010
I think we'd get a resurgence of anime clubs, mailing lists, swaps, and real life sharing. Piracy will find a way.
Mar 28, 2015 8:45 AM

Aug 2014
fuck anime, it's gay and for kids
Mar 28, 2015 9:42 AM
Dec 2014
maybe
Mar 28, 2015 1:59 PM
Aug 2010
My library has a pretty decent selection of anime/manga that I haven't seen yet, and there's always crunchyroll, so sure. There wouldn't be as much variety, though.
ใพใใ€ๅ…จ้ƒจๅ˜˜ใ ใ‘ใฉใญใ€‚
Mar 28, 2015 2:02 PM

Apr 2014
I would still watch anime, but the amount of anime I would watch would decreased significantly.
Mar 28, 2015 2:36 PM

Jul 2007
Hmm would probably pay for Crunchyroll.
Mar 28, 2015 10:36 PM

Feb 2013
I would not stop watching, but if I'm paying, I expect the best quality. (bare-minimum retail subs don't cut it) I demand nice signs and karaoke!
Mar 28, 2015 10:59 PM

Jun 2012
Strayfe said:
Shuhan said:
Paying for something with terrible quality isnt really my style. Literally everything I download now is 1080p.

1080p for an ep of animu is excessive and a waste of time to torrent. 720p is the sharpest resolution you can actually discern any visual changes compared to lower resolutions. Also it's pretty great to sit out on comfy living room furniture to kick back and watch anime on CR using the Roku.

Yeah my nigga, I made that post three years ago. I think a subscription to crunchy is worth it.
Mar 29, 2015 12:22 AM

Jun 2007
OppaiSugoi said:
If there's a site that doesn't do censoring, them MAYBE I'd consider subscribing.
If anything's censored on sites like CR, it's because the Japanese companies give them the censored TV broadcast versions, not because CR actively censored anything.
Mar 29, 2015 1:20 AM

Aug 2014
lol probably not..

If it does ever happen... Welp, it's time to fly to Japan.
Mar 29, 2015 1:33 AM

Jan 2015
Am I the only person who buys Anime physically?

Don't you guys like having, organizing and looking at your collection?

I mean, sure, I watch a show online first, but if I like it I usually buy it afterwards.
Mar 29, 2015 1:37 AM

Sep 2012
I'll do ANYTHING to watch anime. ( อก° อœส– อก°)
Mar 29, 2015 3:04 AM

Jan 2012
lets face it torrents are never going to die! xD

but not if everything went down I'd consider getting a CR sub but only if there were enough anime on there I wanted to watch to warrant me paying for it, but tbh my friend just paid for a subscription and he still uses sites like kissanime and stuff so I just don't see the point :/
Mar 29, 2015 3:06 AM

Apr 2013
Probably not. I'll just continue to buy books and won't mind anime anymore.
Mar 29, 2015 2:48 PM

Jun 2012
Probably not, at least not very often. I certainly couldn't afford to watch as much anime as I do now if I had to actually pay for it.
Mar 29, 2015 2:55 PM

Apr 2012
Might subscribe to Crunchyroll

Mar 29, 2015 3:29 PM
Feb 2014
Sadly nope cause i'd have to pay, I'd suffer the pain of not watching or reading anime and mangas :'(

Thank God it's not like that
Mar 29, 2015 3:31 PM

Sep 2014
Absolutely not

fuck supporting the creators. If they wanted support they'd make better shit
Mar 29, 2015 5:22 PM

Dec 2012
Without fansubs keeping up to date with current anime releases, I wouldn't even watch anime. Not to mention there being a lot of anime you can't even get legally..
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Mar 29, 2015 7:40 PM

Mar 2012

My take on it is this: My family was in farming for over 100 years in America before it become mechanized, but it when it did, they had to adapt and get out of farming. Some farmers got larger to survive, becoming the giant corporate farms today, and the yeoman farmer is mostly no more. Sometimes life gives you crap, you make the best of it and figure it out or you move on to something else. What I was always taught, and still believe, is that lawyers are ultimately parasites on society, and once you resort to using them to shake people down you're just as bad as they are, so I just don't buy that argument.

I agree. The entertainment companies aren't going to be able to stop technology advancing, they will just have to adapt. People will still create, and people will still consume. I believe things like Netflix and Steam are becoming the future, and there are plenty of famous musicians that release most of their content free online, they still make plenty of money, imagine that.
Mar 29, 2015 7:55 PM
May 2011
yes id still watch it.
Mar 29, 2015 8:04 PM

Apr 2014
I'll just find something else to keep me entertained.
Psx Rival Schools 1p Mode Shoma Very Hard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1XulZDm2-M
Bully Sfinges Club http://myanimelist.net/forum/?clubid=67037

Mar 29, 2015 8:09 PM
Aug 2012
Only if one of the legal ways of watching anime was for free. Something like spotify but for anime. Streaming in my opinion is eye cancer, but if it was free and I would be supporting the creators buy watching I would gadly put up with it. I'm used to dowload it and watch in my computer. Since there will probably never exist a legal way of doing that, and chances of me getting wealthy enough to be able to buy all that I like to watch are very low, I'll keep going as I am. Also in my country anime dubs(another cancer in my opinion) or subs are made too childish, cause they are targeted for an younger audience so...nah. I'll pass.
psychopath666Mar 29, 2015 8:15 PM
Mar 29, 2015 8:29 PM

Nov 2014
ToaofJustice said:

You're not alone, man. I love adding to my collection. I regularly walk into best buy and check the anime section.
Mar 29, 2015 10:04 PM

Jun 2007
shuhan said:
Blu-Ray rips are one thing, but if you're DLing currently-airing shows in 1080p, you're getting the exact same thing that CR/Funi subscribers are getting.

notsomacho said:
Absolutely not

fuck supporting the creators. If they wanted support they'd make better shit
You've rated 29 shows 8 or higher. How much "better" do they have to make their "shit"?

retrogamer32x said:
My take on it is this: My family was in farming for over 100 years in America before it become mechanized, but it when it did, they had to adapt and get out of farming. Some farmers got larger to survive, becoming the giant corporate farms today, and the yeoman farmer is mostly no more. Sometimes life gives you crap, you make the best of it and figure it out or you move on to something else.
The difference is that mechanized farm operations weren't magically copying (since I know certain people will freak out if I call it "stealing") the yeoman farmers' crops and selling them cheaper or handing them out to ten million friends for free. One can't exactly say "Well, Entity A just found a way to do things better than Entity B, Entity B should just get with the times" when A and B aren't playing by the same rules.
Mar 29, 2015 10:11 PM

Nov 2011
TheDerpMan said:
ToaofJustice said:

You're not alone, man. I love adding to my collection. I regularly walk into best buy and check the anime section.

Best Buy overprices DVDs. -_-

I agree, I've got a good collection going myself. I watch anime on stuff like Hulu and CR, and then buy the series I either really like or want to watch again on DVD or Blu-ray.

Of course, some series, like Yuru Yuri, don't get official DVD releases, so I get a bootleg off of ebay. I guess that's not really supporting. I tried? I usually pass by an anime if it's $50+. Still looking for Kodomo no Omocha, though. I only know of the S.A.V.E. releases, and they're out of production and hard to find at a decent price. That, and I'm broke right now.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - Yesterday

17 by Strahan »»
56 seconds ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - Yesterday

14 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
1 minute ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme youโ€™re biased to

nishant0 - 8 hours ago

9 by animejas »»
2 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 4 hours ago

77 by Piromysl »»
3 minutes ago

» Visual Novels โ€” General Thread

Shizuna - 10 hours ago

31 by -YaoiBoy- »»
5 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.