Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 30, 2012 8:13 PM
Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A very dramatic story from Fukuda in this episode.
I think some sand fly into my eye and I can't stop my tear .
MorningGloryJun 30, 2012 9:29 PM
Jun 30, 2012 8:27 PM

Jul 2010
I honestly don't like Fukuda's story too much... He wants to spend more time with his daughter, but becoming an astronaut would sacrifice even more time. I just don't feel in touch with what's most important to him: his dream or his family.

I'm really loving Furuya though :) He's annoying, but he's sweet at the same time, you know? Haha~
Jun 30, 2012 9:06 PM

Jun 2011
i like the new op and lmao @ the dancing , but i prefer feel so moon. LOL at furuya walking away like a monkey at the end.
Red_StarJun 30, 2012 9:26 PM

Jun 30, 2012 9:32 PM

Nov 2008
This made a tear or two come out!!

I can understand wanting to reach your dreams, but choosing it over your daughter is kind of wrong i guess....but I still felt bad for him, cause honestly it doesn't seem like he had bad intentions. It must be a very important dream and I can understand wanting to accomplish it despite everything. I didn't like his wife either, cause I feel like she should of been more supportive, although its not his wife anymore..probably for the best.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Jun 30, 2012 10:44 PM

Jul 2011
I love the opening!!

And aw, Furuya is a nice guy after all. :3

I personally support Fukuda's decision. How many people actually follow through on their dream when they're into their 50s? I mean, I understand his daughter is important, but I think it's unfair for him to sacrifice his dream. Besides, if I were the daughter, I'd be inspired by such a father, even if I'm sad that he's not home that often. I could say, "My dad followed his childhood dream and is now an astronaut!" (or something) And it's not like he's one of those cold-hearted people that value work over family - he's a very nice fellow, it's just that he's passionate about his dream.

Ending song is very nice. :D
MirorinJun 30, 2012 10:48 PM
Jul 1, 2012 12:39 AM

Nov 2011
Some characterization for the team, and background on Fukuda. When you can't be there for the family, what difference does it make that you want to be there? I'm ambivalent towards his decision, but it's never as simple as picking one or the other. At least he followed through on it. His story is a common one, but still a good one. It doesn't feel too forced, as most character expositions tend to be. I rather liked the opening sequence as well. Another good episode.
MissileSoupJul 1, 2012 2:04 AM
Jul 1, 2012 12:44 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
I liked the new opening theme. Strangely enough, I have to say my favorite part is where everyone has afro hair like Mutta's.
Jul 1, 2012 1:57 AM

Oct 2011
Guy sacrifices his family for his dream... it feels wrong however I look at it.
Somehow I lost sympathy towards him in the end - ok part about quiting job to take part in selection was fine, still that thing before.
I wouldn't feel inspired by it, rather have a feeling that there was no father along the way.
He is nice guy and all still.

Next episode may have some work for Master Detective Mutta!

@Numi: I won't call it strange as it is best part :)
Jul 1, 2012 2:16 AM

Nov 2009
It was a nice way to explore the story of the old man. No matter how dramatic it was, I don't think leaving your family is the way to do it. Still, the resolution to the matter proved to be a lot more emotional than I thought it could be. And Serika was as cute as ever again!
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...
Jul 1, 2012 2:43 AM

Jan 2012
An episode about Fukuda. Well it wasn't bad, atleast we get to know the characters more. Looks like there will be some heat in the next episode. Can't wait for it.

Jul 1, 2012 2:48 AM

Jun 2009
Fukuda's the man, struggling so many years to achive his dream, having to sacrifice time with his family in process, i really hope he'll become an astronaut this time.
A rather tear-worthy episode, loved it.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jul 1, 2012 3:36 AM
Aug 2011
THAT OPENING ROCKS I hated the first one.

I feel sorry for the old timer, but I really want Mu-chan and Serika-san to pass. Maybe they'll choose more than 2 people from this group.
Jul 1, 2012 3:45 AM

Sep 2011
what's with Fukuda's wife :\ why she's not supporting her husband's dream :\
and wth she won't let him talk with his own daughter idgi :\
i felt bad for him tbh :( he's so unlucky to have such a wife smh

new op & ed :3 i like the new ending :333
Jul 1, 2012 4:06 AM
Nov 2011
the new ed is glorious
Jul 1, 2012 4:35 AM

Feb 2012
new Op and Ed. I liked first op more, but second ed is way better. I also don't like Fukada's story too much.
Jul 1, 2012 4:49 AM
Jun 2008
Hekshi_Sekshi said:
what's with Fukuda's wife : why she's not supporting her husband's dream :
and wth she won't let him talk with his own daughter idgi :
because she found a better man for the job. Taking care of children is not an easy job .

I wonder what happen if Kenji's wife find another man when Kenji is not around ? She can also give reason like " you always not around me, it is more wise to find some else to take care the children" excuse and Kenji can't argue about that.

Its really nice to see different type of opinion given in this episode.I think that this episode is actually very similar to the previous one , " Why should we care about space when problem below are more important ". Tbh,for me its really hard to judge what is correct or what is wrong T.T
MorningGloryJul 1, 2012 4:53 AM
Jul 1, 2012 6:08 AM

May 2008
The new opening and ending is awesome ! Ya-san finally released his guilt huh. I feel really inspired my Fukuda haha! it seems everyone in group one is turning out to be not a bad person.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 1, 2012 6:08 AM

Aug 2008
Yeah! Sukima switch and Angela Aki! <3
The dance in the OP was so silly. XD

I feel bad for Fukada. He's not a good father but he fits to be an astronaut (it would have been better if he was younger though). I kind of want him to succeed...

And the monkey's action really touched me! It killed me the moment he greeted the people of the control shift! T^T

Btw, am I the only one who is really worried about their food?? I do think Serika cooked way too much and they will not have enough stock in the end ><
Jul 1, 2012 6:16 AM

Aug 2011
Fukuda's background released a tear or two. The way I interpreted, is that he is doing all those things so that his daughter is proud of him. So that his daughter looks up to him (Like he said: ''I wonder what hse thought of me?'' or something along those lines). Not because he wants to achieve his dream.

This episode made clear why Furuya probably passed the tests, he has some knowledge about the human body(this became clear to me at the wrist part).

Loving this anime so much.
Jul 1, 2012 7:34 AM

Nov 2007
Furuya does have a heart. Nice touch.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jul 1, 2012 9:25 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Kurini said:
Btw, am I the only one who is really worried about their food?? I do think Serika cooked way too much and they will not have enough stock in the end ><

No, you're not the only one. I fully expect this to crop up sometime during the last few days they're stuck in there.
Jul 1, 2012 10:59 AM

Jun 2010
I like both the new OP and ED more.

That was a good dramatic episode.

I can't wait for the next episode. That preview. Look's like it's Mutta's time to shine.
Jul 1, 2012 11:06 AM
Oct 2011
I started the episode just like any other episode with the hopes of hearing Feel so Moon.. The new op is not that bad though, the dance, the afro Eclipse and Serika wearing the hat-like afro were awesome.

as for the episode, it was a great dramatic episode, I was pissed at the wife and the old guy choosing his dreams over his family though.
Jul 1, 2012 12:35 PM

Jun 2010
The new OP & ED are great. The whole afro theme was amazing.

I love everyone on Team A and I don't think anyone's going to be picked from Team C. There's definitely going to be more picked than the main 3, I'm almost sure of it.

As the episode itself, Furuya made a kind decision at the end, good for him. I used to dislike him but now he's not that bad

I noticed the food thing too, I expect that someone might start to breakdown within the next few episodes. Tensions seem like they'll run high next episode, and that Mutta'll be the one to save the day.
Jul 1, 2012 1:37 PM

May 2008
New ending song is brilliant :D
Jul 1, 2012 2:51 PM

May 2009
Yup, yup, new OP and ED are great! How cute was that solar!Hibito-hair eclipsed by Mutta-hair in the OP? *o* I love this show!

Furuya's conscience at the end was aww-inducing, and so was Fukuda's story. I don't quite get the bashing he's receiving here for wanting to chase his dreams and remain a father to his daughter. As long as he's able to support the family, and he's not off just having fun, what's wrong with trying to make both work? :/
Jul 1, 2012 4:00 PM

Jan 2012
It's going to be sad when Fukuda doesn't make it
Jul 1, 2012 7:22 PM

Jan 2011
Athena said:
Yup, yup, new OP and ED are great! How cute was that solar!Hibito-hair eclipsed by Mutta-hair in the OP? *o* I love this show!

Furuya's conscience at the end was aww-inducing, and so was Fukuda's story. I don't quite get the bashing he's receiving here for wanting to chase his dreams and remain a father to his daughter. As long as he's able to support the family, and he's not off just having fun, what's wrong with trying to make both work? :/

I think Fukuda made the choice to pursue his dream rather than remain a father. He probably isn't entirely to blame as I think he was fitting in with both societal and industry expectations--prioritizing your family actually is a barrier to success in many field-- but a lot of people don't like it. I can remember when my father left the oil industry because he didn't want to be away from home for weeks on end. In the end, even though we didn't have nearly as much money, I think our family was happier with that decision. You'd be surprised how fast kids grow up, and if you can't be with them then you'll never have another chance. In a field which doesn't make major accommodations to support families it is almost impossible to balance work load and family life so you end up having to choose.
rodacJul 1, 2012 7:26 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 1, 2012 7:28 PM

Jun 2011
This new OP doesn't make me feel so moon, but even so I liked it, same with the ED. Touching episode btw.
Jul 1, 2012 11:15 PM

Nov 2011
Red_Star said:
i like the new op and lmao @ the dancing , but i prefer feel so moon. LOL at furuya walking away like a monkey at the end.
Haha ya the op was pretty good, the dancing made my night! Not to mention the wigs they all were wearing xD. Feel so moon is only good since mu-chan flies by while shooting a rainbow out his nose!
Jul 1, 2012 11:32 PM

Mar 2009
I can't bring myself to feel sad for him because I can relate with his daughter. If he was so set on following his dream he should have done so BEFORE settling down and having a family- (Yes, I'm aware he did try before. However he should have given up and thought about his child and wife when he had them No matter how painful it would have been).
If he intended to keep trying after he married then that was selfish.

He shouldn't have bothered getting married and having a child if he cared more about his dream than he did them.
And to some extent I feel the same way about Kenji. However it seems like his wife knew what she was getting into and was prepared for his choice and to a point she seems to support him.
Also he doesn't really seem like the type to abandon them, so he might change his mind as time goes on.
If anything this episode made me like Fukuda less. However I still love the anime.
Jul 1, 2012 11:48 PM

May 2010
monkey boy still piss's me but he not all bad i guess and the new op is funny as hell
Jul 2, 2012 9:37 AM

Sep 2009
Feel soo moooo-

Oh.. nevermind.
Jul 2, 2012 12:34 PM

Feb 2010
Numi said:
Kurini said:

No, you're not the only one. I fully expect this to crop up sometime during the last few days they're stuck in there.

I was thinking the same thing! lol Glad I'm not the only one. She really needs to ease up on portion sizes...

Interesting info on Fukuda's past...
Jul 2, 2012 6:48 PM

May 2011
A wonderful episode that managed to give so much more to not just one but two such different characters. I love how what Yasushi learned about Fukuda lead to the letter and that it wasn't just a matter of being pressured or even personal guilt completely.
Jul 3, 2012 5:55 AM
Jan 2011
Oh my God. I'm never tired of this show.
I really liked Fukuda thanks to this episode.
And new OP&ED are great!
Jul 3, 2012 10:35 AM

Jul 2009
Hahaha oh my God the dancing had me rolling
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jul 3, 2012 12:24 PM

May 2008
The new OP and ED is awesome love that OP LOL wonder if Fukuda will get through!
Jul 3, 2012 2:28 PM

Mar 2012
Man they changed the best OP of the season dammm ittt.... at least the new ED is good.
Jul 3, 2012 3:59 PM

Oct 2011
i lke the new op ...BUT I PREFER THE OLD ONE
ON ANOTHER NOTE I LIKED THE FUKUDA STORY :)
Jul 3, 2012 7:43 PM

Apr 2011
NEW OP AND ED OMGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH LOVE IT.
Jul 4, 2012 2:58 AM

Jan 2011
Nice episode, the old timer's story was good, he isn't an observer after all. I wonder if all members are serious contestants or if there are some observers. I prefer the old OP and ED, although it might just be getting used to the new ones.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 4, 2012 8:43 AM

Apr 2011
I was smiling like the biggest idiot in the world right when I saw them dance in the opening. XD Awwwwh this show is just the besttt~ Feels so good.
Jul 5, 2012 1:19 AM

Dec 2009
I LOVED this episode. The new OP was meh, and so was the ED.

Yassan's actions in the end was absolutely adorable :3
The flashback with Fukuda and his daughter was heartbreaking ;_;

Loving the show 5/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 7, 2012 4:30 PM
Apr 2011
Yes, the food will become a problem, I put it at about 80% probability. If you were to bet against it... yeah. Perhaps 90%. They have foreshadowed it, by explicitly stating that this is all the food they will get. No refills. They have also made a note, several times, of the fact that she eat quite a bit.

Secondly they have stated that anyone leaving the capsule will disqualify the entire group. It is only one week left, and group A is clearly doing fine in the social and stress aspect. There is one issue and that is the old man. But he should be fine, even without glasses and struggling.

They might combine these two clouds into one giant storm, or separate the issues over several groups - maybe group B, with the nervous wreck, tries to leave the capsule. Anyway, they have several cards to play to build up a nice bit of drama.
Jul 8, 2012 12:49 AM

Feb 2012
This episode really hit home with me. I still remember what a shock it was when I learned that my mentor was able to achieve his dream by putting his dream over his family and consequently got divorced. I also remember my roommate in college who took pride in the fact that his father put his work his family. His dad is an officer in the army and was one of the top Brigade commanders in Iraq, and the only way he became such a good commander was by dedicating most his time to it.

The two lessons I have learned is that there are some people who will never be able to give up their dream. The only way those kinds of people can have a family is to marry someone who understands that and accepts it. The second is that a child will understand if a parent is away if they know it is for a good reason. I don’t know how much time President Obama spends with his daughters, but I’m sure they take pride in his accomplishments and understand that they may much get much time with him.
Jul 9, 2012 4:17 PM

Jun 2008
Very intense... I'm glad Furuya showed us his good side. I love the entire team A.

Don't give up, Fukuda-san!!!
Jul 19, 2012 1:07 AM

Mar 2009
Man, Fukuda's a complex character. Even if he's putting his dream first, at least he feels guilty about not spending enough time with his daughter. Needless to say, in the real world, some deadbeat fathers wouldn't even care, and their children would just be a hindrance to them.

Anyway, I hope his daughter doesn't hate him despite his absence. Yeah. Complex and realistic stuff here. It's what Space Bros. does best.

And good on Furuya! He impressed me.
Dec 1, 2012 5:05 AM
Nov 2011
I'm gonna say it now. The broken glasses feels a bit forced. Why do I say that? If these astronauts were going to be away for a long time, wouldn't it make sense to have glasses that are so much harder to break?

I understand what it's like since I wear glasses myself, but it felt like kind of a stupid plot point.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Dec 24, 2012 4:25 PM

Nov 2007
I think I am in love with this anime!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Sequel update

excalibur977436 - May 4

4 by Cayusashi »»
May 5, 9:03 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Allografter - Mar 22, 2014

152 by valoon »»
Apr 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kurini - Feb 2, 2013

150 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 22, 7:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.