Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 27, 2012 11:03 PM

Mar 2012
Hakuromatsu said:
fishergirl16 said:
ChoomTOP said:
This anime is getting better by each episode! I never saw that Ritsuka would be in love with Sentarou though :c

Honestly, are you an idiot?
She's in love with Kaoru. Kaoru just misunderstood her feelings and thought she was crying because of Sentarou and Yurika.
Gosh, no offense, but is it that hard to pick up on?

Are you being sarcastic, I hope?

I don't think he is, lol.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 28, 2012 1:00 AM
Oct 2010
JoshSalas said:
Something tells me fishergirl16 isn't a guy, but you're probably right otherwise.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Apr 28, 2012 1:13 AM

Jul 2010
i like those shrimps who have guts.pretty rare in anime nowadays..
looking forward to the progress
Apr 28, 2012 4:02 AM

Oct 2010
ALL THESE FEELINGS OMG ヽ(;▽;)ノ
[insert awesome signature here]
Apr 28, 2012 4:36 AM
Jan 2012
fishergirl16 said:
ChoomTOP said:
This anime is getting better by each episode! I never saw that Ritsuka would be in love with Sentarou though :c

She's in love with Kaoru. Kaoru just misunderstood her feelings and thought she was crying because of Sentarou and Yurika.

No reason to lash out like that, especially when you're most likely in the wrong.

Ri-chan thinks both Sentaro and Kaoru have the hots for Yurika, and she likes Sentaro. Watch again how relieved she sounds when Yurika says Kaoru invited her, how bummed she looks when Sentaro doesn't even look at her new hairstyle, or when she doesn't want Yurika to challenge Sentaro to a climb onto the Lovers' Rock, how she clenches the onigiri having Yurika and Sentaro in front of her, acting kinda close, or when Sentaro bandages Yurika's scratch Ri-chan is put in a very "sad" camera angle etc.

Later she doesn't want Sentaro and Kaoru to fight over Yurika, that they shouldn't be angry at each other when she knows they both mean much to each other.
Apr 28, 2012 5:12 AM

Mar 2009
Having read the source material, @onzeedge got it right in that Ri-chan is secretly crushing on Sentaro, who is her childhood friend. She obviously misunderstood that Kaoru likes Yurika thus didn't want them to fight over Yurika and ruin their budding friendship. Ri-chan is happy that Sentaro found not just a jamming buddy, but a friend in Kaoru and wants to protect that friendship. Anyway, Kaoru really cut to the chase and cleared up that misunderstanding with Ri-chan by confessing that she's the one he likes. How she reacts to that is another matter of course. I'm absolutely enjoying this adaptation. That ending theme hits my emotional spot after listening to it a few times...the lyrics make sense tying in with what I've read...can't wait to see the rest of the story unfold in animated form.
Apr 28, 2012 7:25 AM

Aug 2009
Oh my. More shows with one-sided loves? The anime world loves me too much!
I like the pace of this show. Nice episode.
Apr 28, 2012 10:53 AM

Jun 2010
I love this show.
Apr 28, 2012 3:09 PM

Apr 2009
Kaoru loves Ritsuko loves Sentaro loves Yurika. And I love this show too! XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 28, 2012 3:12 PM

Feb 2012
JoshSalas said:
Hakuromatsu said:
fishergirl16 said:

Are you being sarcastic, I hope?

fishergirl's post was so ridiculous in every way that I at least wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt...
Apr 28, 2012 3:55 PM

Nov 2011
I wasn't expecting that. I honestly thought Ritsu liked Kaoru. What a twist. It's usually the guy (Sentarou) who likes the childhood friend but this time it's the girl (Ritsu) who has feelings for the guy. Anyway, I wonder how this is gonna turn out.

I was confused during the end Was Sen naked when Yurika came in? Cause it's looked like it since sheets were covering up his lower half.

Oh and is the Manga already finished?
Apr 28, 2012 4:06 PM

Mar 2012
good plot i like the main character and the fact that this anime isn't a shoujo one i hope they just don't turn out showing kisses and stuff... the music is combined perfectly with the whole flow
Apr 28, 2012 6:13 PM

Nov 2011
chiarAscuro said:
Tomodachi5 said:
I was confused during the end Was Sen naked when Yurika came in? Cause it's looked like it since sheets were covering up his lower half.

Oh and is the Manga already finished?
I'm think he was completely naked, yup.

Also, just because I'm seeing a number of people thinking they seriously did it... xD
It was mentioned at the beginning of the episode that Yurika liked to paint. They were at school, she was saying "don't be stiff", and he had a sheet draped over his lower half in an artistic looking manner... I think it's pretty safe to say she had just gotten him to model nude for a painting for her. Poor Kaoru unfortunately misunderstood. D:

And if I understand correctly, yes, the manga finished in Japan at 9 volumes.

Ah I see, that makes sense. I wonder how long it will take to translate all the volumes. It looks like only 3 volumes have been translated so far.
Tomodachi5Apr 28, 2012 6:19 PM
Apr 28, 2012 6:44 PM

Jan 2008
I knew Ritsuko liked Sentaro and not Kaoru. If she did like Kaoru, it would have been so convenient as the two would be in love with each other, which doesn't usually work this way. As to what will happen or who she will end up with, I am not sure but I hope it is going to be Kaoru she ends up with.

If Sentaro realized her feelings, he may fall for her as well and things will get more interesting? I don't know but I have a feeling Kaoru will remain alone at the end. I hope this won't be the case.
HatsumiShinoguApr 28, 2012 11:48 PM
Apr 28, 2012 8:49 PM

Aug 2010
HatsumiShinogu said:
I knew Ritsuko liked Sentaro and not Kaoru. If she did like Kaoru, it would have been so convenient as the two would be in love, which doesn't usually work this way. As to what will happen or who she will end up with, I am not sure but I hope it is going to be Kaoru she ends up with.

If Sentaro realized her feelings, he may fall for her as well and things will get more interesting? I don't know but I have a feeling Kaoru will remain alone at the end. I hope this won't be the case.

I really hope it won't be like that. Anyways another great episode. I like how it's moving so fast. I was hating on Kaoru throughout the episode, but he redeemed himself in the end.
Apr 28, 2012 9:09 PM

Feb 2008
Sentarou is moe
Apr 29, 2012 1:15 AM

Jan 2008
The heck with the modeling scene?! It felt reeaaally out of place and killed the anti-cliché mood. The part with Kaoru confessing to Ricchan was ok but it was rushed as well. I did not want the misunderstandings to last forever though this was just too condensed. This ep did not do what the first two episodes did in terms of pacing and direction but anyway it's still one of the greatest of this season.
Apr 29, 2012 1:38 AM

Nov 2011
onzeedge said:
fishergirl16 said:
ChoomTOP said:

No reason to lash out like that, especially when you're most likely in the wrong.

Ri-chan thinks both Sentaro and Kaoru have the hots for Yurika, and she likes Sentaro. Watch again how relieved she sounds when Yurika says Kaoru invited her, how bummed she looks when Sentaro doesn't even look at her new hairstyle, or when she doesn't want Yurika to challenge Sentaro to a climb onto the Lovers' Rock, how she clenches the onigiri having Yurika and Sentaro in front of her, acting kinda close, or when Sentaro bandages Yurika's scratch Ri-chan is put in a very "sad" camera angle etc.

Later she doesn't want Sentaro and Kaoru to fight over Yurika, that they shouldn't be angry at each other when she knows they both mean much to each other.

Agreed I think the biggest clue was the onigiri Ritsuko was clenching and gave to Kaoru. If you remember he states that "it's huge." Realizing that Ritsuko actually made that for Sentarou. I think Sentarou finding a girl he wants to be with romantically was something Ritsuko didn't quite expect. So the two had a childhood best friend relationship and didn't really progress farther then that.
However when Yurika came into the picture as someone who Sentarou would want to be with romantically Ritsuko probably felt the same way about Sentarou or at least began to have those feelings develop when another girl besides Ritsuko came into the picture.

I mean to say that she doesn't feel some sort of love for him would be absurd since after all they grew up with each other. However how this plays out we'll have to wait and see.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Apr 29, 2012 1:58 AM

Jul 2007
This show is too good. The jam session between Kaoru and Sentaro was fun to watch and listen to.

This season has somewhat renewed my faith in the anime industry.
Loving Sakamichi, Space Bros and Tsuritama.
Apr 29, 2012 9:42 AM

Jul 2010
This show has got to be one of the best i've ever seen, not wasting time with the confession. instead of prolonging it till the last ep.

This show really feels like the reincarnation of honey and clover
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Apr 29, 2012 10:46 AM

Feb 2010
I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH
Apr 29, 2012 12:52 PM

Dec 2009
Oh the time flies by when watching this. This is beautiful.

5/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 29, 2012 1:21 PM
Dec 2008
so much development in one episode...
the romance part is killing me (in a great way ofc)
Apr 29, 2012 2:42 PM

Dec 2008
I usually don't like slice of life that much, but I'm loving it so far!
Apr 29, 2012 8:16 PM

Jun 2009
Orulyon said:
and so this became Honey & Clover XD

Honey and Clover if it had severe pacing problems, yeah. This episode moved way to fast imo.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 29, 2012 8:18 PM

Feb 2012
insan3soldiern said:
Orulyon said:

Honey and Clover if it had severe pacing problems, yeah. This episode moved way to fast imo.

It would be so much easier to comment on pacing if we knew whether this is going to be 11 or 22 episodes. If it's 11, then Sakamichi's current pace may be (unfortunately) necessary.
Apr 29, 2012 8:31 PM

Jun 2009
Hakuromatsu said:
insan3soldiern said:
Orulyon said:

It would be so much easier to comment on pacing if we knew whether this is going to be 11 or 22 episodes. If it's 11, then Sakamichi's current pace may be (unfortunately) necessary.

Don't get me wrong, this was a pretty good episode. I probably should have elaborated a bit more. So I will

I like how Kaoru was quick on the uptake here, from my experience romance leads are usually pretty clueless in a situation like this so that was pretty refreshing. The confession was pretty good but, again, I can't help but think it would have come off a little better with at least one more episode of focus on the bond of the characters.

Then again, I could very well think differently whenever I watch these episodes back to back. I find that I sort of lose out on the experience with a week in between episodes so this "pacing" problem could very well be on my end.

You are right that it may be too early to comment on pace, though. Hopefully this series will get a longer run than just 11 episodes.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 30, 2012 2:11 AM

Jan 2009
like the pacing hope they keep it up
Apr 30, 2012 5:11 AM

Jun 2011
This anime is perfect so far, I wonder if it'll continue its brilliant pace and all that.

And gosh, I ship Kaoru and Ritsuko so hard!
Apr 30, 2012 12:58 PM
Mar 2012
hey when will episode 4 be airing??
Apr 30, 2012 3:00 PM

Apr 2012
kittenkissesxoxo said:

Next Thursday, if I'm not mistaken.
Madu_ScientistoApr 30, 2012 3:33 PM
Apr 30, 2012 10:10 PM
Sep 2007
yesss Bill Evans, awesome. Great jazz scenes and all, but the pacing is an issue. The scenes with Sentarou modeling was just plain jarring with how quickly it appeared, I thought it was a dream sequence or something at first. Kaoru's fucking awesome though with his confession and all.
May 1, 2012 4:47 AM

Jun 2009
Kaoru trying to help Sentarou got me laughing. Totally didn't expect this to happen since KAoru appeared more of a shy type in the beginning. Totally love this show. ^^
May 2, 2012 2:48 AM
Aug 2009
Bigbuffoon said:
Now if only anyone would tell me what piece Richie and Sentaro played, if it ever has a name...

"But Not for Me" by Gershwin. They start off playing something fairly similar to the Chet Baker version, albeit without trumpet or vocals, although it takes off into its own thing after a bit when they go into double-time. There's a cover of said Chet Baker version with the full band on the OST. It's about unrequited love, which is probably exactly why they're jamming to it.

Coltrane has a really good version of it as well on My Favorite Things.

Anyway, I'm absolutely in love with this series so far. I'm a big jazz fan (and used to play it quite a bit as well; not sure what happened, but I've sort of abandoned jazz guitar for other genres over the years), and I was totally stoked to hear there was going to be an anime about it. Really liking the romance element as well.

Possible AOTY for me if this series keeps at it.
HolyKatanaMay 2, 2012 2:52 AM
May 2, 2012 4:23 AM

May 2008
Madu_Scientisto said:
kittenkissesxoxo said:

By Next Thursday you mean 3rd May or 10th May? Because in Japan is golden week now and I'm afraid that many shows won't air this week ;<
May 2, 2012 2:58 PM

Apr 2012
Darkmaya said:
Madu_Scientisto said:
kittenkissesxoxo said:

By Next Thursday you mean 3rd May or 10th May? Because in Japan is golden week now and I'm afraid that many shows won't air this week ;<

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.
May 2, 2012 7:48 PM

May 2008
Riche making a plot to get Sentaro the girl so he is totally free to persue Ri-chan, way to go Richie hahha.

Awww sentaro is such a softie lol wow thats a lot of sibilings. Sarah his girlfriend, a pigeon? hahhahaha.

Oh noo Sentaro why did u tell her richie invited her omg... it was funny and painful to watch that.

Ri-chan jelious? ohh what a mix up richie thinks she likes sentaro and is sad about that but the reality is that she thinks richie likes the girl sentaro likes omg what a mess. Right?

sigh someday my prince will come what a beautiful song... still waiting hahaha.

Oh Richie ur so brave for confessing ur feelings * I melted. Blush*

LOVE THE END SONG!!!
May 2, 2012 10:02 PM
Apr 2011
So glad that they didn't prolong the confession. I hate it when they bring stuff like that midway. Now the drama is just dealing with the feelings out in the open.

I'm not sure what Ri-ko is thinking to be honest. Perhaps she thinks Richie is confessing to her like second best.

I'd love to see more Jun though :)
May 3, 2012 6:15 AM

Sep 2008
Lots of development happening and it's only 3 episodes in.

I was half expecting Yurika to end up liking Kaoru to make a love square.
May 3, 2012 10:08 AM

May 2009
Aww... I just watched it again... And I realise I was really wrong... I totally misinterpreted it... :(

Ri'ko really does like/love Sentarou. And Yurika wasn't fast at all... she made him the subject of her paintings. She does love oil painting after all. :) And it was the art room. Quite a sexy pose though. :)))

Owaaaaa.....
Ep 4 is out! =D
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
May 3, 2012 1:39 PM

Jul 2010
onzeedge said:
fishergirl16 said:
ChoomTOP said:

I see what you're saying... Maybe it's just me, but I found it incredibly obvious that Ritsuko liked Kaoru. Most of the evidence you said were things that I saw in the opposite way. I'm usually keen on romances, but now you've gotten me stumped. Well, let's just keep watching and see who's right.. ;)
May 3, 2012 4:37 PM

Oct 2008
holypoop said:
This is continuing being the best anime of the season. Although I do have to say I prefer the manga. I feel like the emotions of the characters came across better in it, and it didn't feel so rushed as this suddenly feels (though I'm kinda happy about that, it might mean that they're going to cover more material).

I'm going to cry if this doesn't sell well/get a second season..

I also wish I hadn't read the manga now because, what I was afraid of could be happening. Rushed! The subtleties in the manga were lost, and they were the only thing that made this love square work for me. Ritsuko's misunderstanding about the love triangle came across much better in manga. But I'm being one of those people now so I'll just stop reading and hope the anime does something other than rush an already mediocre melodramatic plot. Worst aspect of the rushing through the melodrama is that the potency behind the confession song was lost.

Edit: Oh and unless things have changed the show was announced as being 12 episodes before the season came out. Someone on crunchy posted this as proof bet never really gave me it's source.
Orion1May 3, 2012 5:18 PM
May 6, 2012 12:44 PM

Jun 2011
zorapup said:
So glad that they didn't prolong the confession. I hate it when they bring stuff like that midway. Now the drama is just dealing with the feelings out in the open.

I'm not sure what Ri-ko is thinking to be honest. Perhaps she thinks Richie is confessing to her like second best.

I'd love to see more Jun though :)

Same. I am so glad they didn't prolong the confession and stretch it out. Also, yay for no homo.
May 7, 2012 11:40 AM

Feb 2012
Definite yay for no homo as stated above. And god damn, Ri-chan hitting him with the friendzone TWICE in one episode. Essentially she was saying, "Obviously you like Yurika, because there's no way it would happen between us." Felt so bad for this guy. I had to pause this episode several times due to feeling embarrassed for either Kaoru or Sentaro (mostly Kaoru, poor guy, he's trying so hard and is right in the middle of the friendzone). Cannot wait to see how this develops.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
May 7, 2012 4:25 PM

Jul 2010
There was never any homo except in your mind.

Just throwing that out there, MAL masses.
May 9, 2012 6:36 AM
Dec 2008
wow, the pace is really faster than most other romance animes. Love it.
May 14, 2012 6:17 AM
Feb 2010
i dont think she realises exactly how amazing that confession was
May 14, 2012 6:21 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This show is brilliant. Sentaro's nervousness was so cute!

Aya Endo's voice can make any woman look thrice as attractive as she is. it's pure vocal honey.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 16, 2012 8:27 AM
Jul 2018
bros before hoes
May 19, 2012 9:27 PM

Dec 2010
This anime gay? Not even close.

Confession in the third episode WAS SURPRISING. Nice change of pace for me. I am happy where this show is going.

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

HawthorneKitty - Jun 28, 2012

462 by Nebbby312 »»
Apr 12, 10:17 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dltd - May 24, 2012

253 by defaulticus »»
Apr 9, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

a6342164 - Apr 19, 2012

209 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Mar 30, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pizzaholic - Apr 12, 2012

308 by onnongo »»
Feb 13, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

166 by lazypanda666 »»
Feb 5, 4:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.