Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 2, 2011 2:47 PM

Oct 2010
omg cant wait for the next one love this series
Oct 2, 2011 3:04 PM
Sep 2011
I have never seen hunter x hunter before, this is my first time watching the series, but if I like it I will watch the old one.
So far I love this, the first episode was very welld one, I like the opening and ending and the animation just looks like improved 90s animation which is great, I can't wait for more of this.
My only hope is that they don't just rush through the first part and leave people who havent seen the series in the dark since it has been 12 years since the origional (and I also hope it doesn't end up hundreds of episodes long)
Oct 2, 2011 3:45 PM

Oct 2008
This first episode lost all of the psychological complexity in Gon that the first series managed to incorporate into a shounen series. They Brotherhooded it was a correct statement by an earlier commenter. And since the original was actually pretty true to the manga from what I here, this series doesn't have a chance at improving upon the first, story wise. Recommendation as of now. Just watch the original and forget that Madhouse decided to destroy one of the better shounen series out there. Hopefully it will change, but as of now, it's off to a terrible start in my opinion of course. Easy series to drop this season for me. Oh course I was wrong about Brotherhood which actually got a lot better after 13 episodes. Perhaps this remake will be similar, then again my guess is that they will just continue to dumb it down. I can't remember right now but Leorio also seemed to be a lot more of a clown this time around.
Oct 2, 2011 3:47 PM
Aug 2011
(why is some people rating this show after only one episode?)

Whitout comparing it to the first teve series:

Positive parts IMO: the design, the animation and majority of the voice actors (except Gon's and Mito's. It will take time for me to get used to them).

Negative parts IMO: the soundtrack (the background music is to strong and somewhat un fitting, and instead of mixing well with the scenes, the music takes over and almost ruins them instead), the cheerful almost childish feeling to it all, the fast pace and the ED (it feels very out of place, both the animation and the song).
RuechanOct 2, 2011 4:00 PM
Oct 2, 2011 3:55 PM

Dec 2009
Ruechan said:
(why is some people rating this show after only one episode?

I don't see reasons why we shouldn't. I always rate the shows i'm watching basing on the first episodes, then i'll keep watching and if i feel like it deserves more or less, i'll change it.
Oct 2, 2011 3:56 PM
Aug 2011
I
Orion1 said:
This first episode lost all of the psychological complexity in Gon that the first series managed to incorporate into a shounen series. They Brotherhooded it was a correct statement by an earlier commenter. And since the original was actually pretty true to the manga from what I here, this series doesn't have a chance at improving upon the first, story wise. Recommendation as of now. Just watch the original and forget that Madhouse decided to destroy one of the better shounen series out there. Hopefully it will change, but as of now, it's off to a terrible start in my opinion of course. Easy series to drop this season for me. Oh course I was wrong about Brotherhood which actually got a lot better after 13 episodes. Perhaps this remake will be similar, then again my guess is that they will just continue to dumb it down. I can't remember right now but Leorio also seemed to be a lot more of a clown this time around.

I agree with everything you said.The first episode completly lacks depth, and I am not very fond of the pace. Though there is a chance it could get better. (And yes, Leorio acts more like a clown, but that's how he acts like in the begining of the manga...and one of the reasons I always prefered the anime version, because of how Kazuhiro Furuhashi handled Leorio, and the rest of the cast too).
Oct 2, 2011 4:35 PM

Jun 2010
Are they going to finish the anime this time?
Oct 2, 2011 4:36 PM

Sep 2008
I saw the original "Hunter x Hunter" and its OVA's (the first one complete, the other two still to be completed) some years ago and for me, it's one of the best ever ;)

This first episode of this remake was good, so can't wait for more... ;) Megumi Han's voice on Gon really reminded me of Junko Takeuchi's voice on the original ;)
Oct 2, 2011 4:47 PM

Jun 2009
Kurapika = Miyuki Sawashiro? My ears were not ready.

Even though it was good. I really don't see the need for a remake (unless they're planning to adapt way ahead of the story in the first one). The original was good in the first place. Still not sure if I'm planning to continue this since there are a lot of good ones this season.
Oct 2, 2011 4:48 PM

Sep 2007
I would have a lot of criticism and comparisons to the original to make, but...I love this anime too much so I enjoyed the hell out of this episode. I need mooooooreeeee. Maybe I shouldn't have reread the manga over summer when I heard a new HunterxHunter anime was coming out.
Oct 2, 2011 5:21 PM

Mar 2011
HOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT! O.O

i cant wait for the generyodan arc! they are better villains than akatsuki :D

i still remember when i was like 7 or 8 when i first watched this, full of EPICNESS if you ask me!
Oct 2, 2011 5:33 PM
Aug 2007
I am biased because I always viewed the original anime to be about 90-95% accurate to the manga. It's what happens when my favorite anime/manga is redone/adapted...

Some pros:
-The faster pace is a better way to introduce people to the series. I loved that.
-The animation itself is very good.
-Loved the intro about Hunters. Some of the silhouettes~
-Eyecatch. Loved it!

Cons:
-With the faster pace, I feel that a lot of key aspects were cut out. Gon's reasons for taking the hunter exam is turned into just... idolization. It seems like Mito never told Gon that his parents died (hence where Kaito would tell Gon that Ging is Kaito's teacher and that Ging is still alive... that he's a hunter... giving Gon Ging's double hunter card) and that his father was a hunter but that Gon was abandoned by his father... Also disregarded that Mito was the one who took Gon away from his father. Maybe when he comes back with Killua.
-So far, it doesn't establish Gon having a good relationship with animals (he didn't mention it with the seagulls for the storm).
-Parts of the show's bgm REALLY did not match. The glaring one was when Gon saved Katsuo. That was just extremely mismatched for me.
-The ED song. The animation was great but the song itself I dislike.

Neutral aspects:
-My nostalgia makes me really miss the older voice cast, while it's not horrible, I don't think it is as good.
-Interesting that Kurapica already has the contacts in. Remember the Kurata clan's eyes are blue. Blue to red~
-No touching scenes between Gon and the animals of Whale Island.
-Or the scene between Gon and Mito about her lying to him so much and that he always knew.
-Gon wasn't in Mito's face with the hunter application. That always made me laugh...

Hopes:
-Some flashback scenes.
-They really don't change Hisoka, that it was just a rumor.
-They don't tone down the violence like the rumor states.
-Better scenes between Gon and Mito when he takes Killua back.

Observations:
-From the OP looks, this op will cover until Heaven's Arena. Considering most OP cover 13-26 episodes that seems... really fast.
-I was mostly unimpressed, but I am very critical of it I realize. That said, I will be watching it weekly and not marathoning it like a few of my friends want to do. I will have a better opinion once the hunter exam really starts (like a couple of weeks to a month).
Oct 2, 2011 5:45 PM

Jun 2009
I don't really understand why they're doing this remake instead of continuing the story with the Chimera Ant Arc and such. But, as I love HxH, a remake is a thousand times better than nothing. About the first episode:

Pros:
- Okay OP, great ED
- Animation looks solid
- Artstyle is true to the original, looks good
- Pretty good introduction of the characters, considering it is quite rushed
- It stars Hisoka, no need to say more.

Cons:
- Pacing is a little to fast (unless they're rushing it to get to the Chimera Ant Arc)
- BGM is goofy, doesn't live up the glorious OST of the original series
- Doesn't have the same feeling to it (seems more like a generic shounen now, especially if you consider the planned dumbing down of Hisoka's bloodlust etc., as mentioned before)
- Gon meeting Kaito completely cut-off (WHY?)

I'm not sure what to think of this remake as of now, I just hope they don't dumb it down too much.
Wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 2, 2011 6:12 PM

Jul 2010
Well that was pointless.
Oct 2, 2011 6:32 PM
Sep 2011
Meddigo said:
Really loved that Madhouse tried to stick to the same art-style as the first series. I did laugh at how quickly the pace moved. I'm pretty sure we went through episodes 1-3 with this first episode, and we didn't even get to see Gon's animal friends on Whale Island or anything of the sort.

EDIT: Actually, they just skipped over Gon's backstory with Kite/Kaito, no?

Pretty much but they also decided to go with the manga story line which moves a little faster than the original series.
Oct 2, 2011 6:34 PM
Sep 2011
llamaben said:
Good first ep. I'm not a fan of the fast pace, but I'm fine with it here as the original started real slow. Hopefully it slows down from now on though.

OP and ED were great, BGM was not.

well it's not that they were going too fast, they decided to go with the manga story line which moves along a lot faster than the original anime.

The OP was great and so was the ending, the BGM will probably get better as they move along with the show.
Oct 2, 2011 6:41 PM

Aug 2010
I am expecting good things. I might also consider watching the original if I keep liking the remake as much as I do now
Oct 2, 2011 6:41 PM

Mar 2009
Good first ep,

They will certainly add a flashblack about the Kaito scene. They are obviously taking the common shounen approach of having a kick ass first ep to get today's type of fan interested, and then they'll add the rest after they get them hooked.

I like the new voice actors so far.
Oct 2, 2011 6:46 PM
Sep 2011
Okay after watching the first episode and re-reading the first few chapters of the manga again, i'm sure it follows the manga storyline. I was a little surprised when they didn't have the scene with Kaito in it but it will probably come at a moment where it has greater relevance.

The opening i really like and the ending was well animated but i wasn't really a fan of the song used for the ending but i'll live with it since i love the series.

I'm really hoping hisoka's blood lust doesn't get toned down. ( i hope it's just a rumor) I wonder how their fight scene will work out ? i'm really interested to see how the hunter exams vary from the original series. ( i mean sailing up a giant wave was really different from the original lol )

now to wait for next weeks episode =u=
Oct 2, 2011 7:18 PM

Jan 2010
The opening is so weak!I just want it to be changed!!!
Oct 2, 2011 7:28 PM
Feb 2011
well its just great to have this anime again
Oct 2, 2011 7:40 PM

Jul 2010
So does anyone else feel like they took what could have been 4-5 episodes and mashed it into one?

I didn't watch the first series nor did I read the manga, so I have no idea if it's supposed to be this fast paced or not. Also, the voicing is... ugh. I love Sawashiro Miyuki, but why is she voicing male characters lately? Not only that, but 3 out of the 4 main characters are voiced by girls. I just can't get used to it... >.<

I do like this show. It seems pretty cool and I'm hoping it'll continue for a long time. I wasn't going to watch the first series since this one is airing, but now after this rushed first episode I'm seriously considering watching them both at the same time week by week. I feel like I'm missing a lot of important backstory. It's like watching the first 20 episodes of FMA: Brotherhood and never seeing the other FMA, totally missing the point of how important Hughes' character was to the show. :/
Oct 2, 2011 9:24 PM

Dec 2009
Kage said:

-My nostalgia makes me really miss the older voice cast, while it's not horrible, I don't think it is as good.

I completely agree. Somehow, it all sounded just weird to me. AHHHH, KILLUA, PLEASE SOUND OKAY! T_T This VA voices Levy in Fairy Tail and Riko (the crazy blonde chick) +_+ Nooo...

... Well voice acting aside, the fast pace doesn't really appeal to me. I agree with many of you that the first part about him realizing that Ging didn't abandon him and about Kaito showing him his hunter card was important. Maybe people're supposed to have seen the original adaptation before this? :S Hope they don't skip the parts with Kurapika's backstory / how Killua and Gon became close friends / cheesy things like that.
Oct 2, 2011 10:24 PM

Sep 2010
Great this is called the definitive version by the producers before it even aired and the first episode already skipped one of the most important character establishing flashbacks. Sure they can bring the flashback in later to properly explain why Gon has the Double Hunter card but a definitive version wouldn't be out of order in the episode.

Oct 2, 2011 11:46 PM

Feb 2011
Oh boy, I was so hyped for this, as the manga is just brilliant and I was urging to see a better anime adaption then the 1999-one.

And then THIS!
Everythings so bright, colorful and shounen. Hunter X Hunter ISN'T SHOUNEN!! :<
And my beloved Kurapika looks aweful. Actually he kinda looked like that, in the beginning of the manga. But they should've just went with his later design, now that the old one is about 9001 years old. <.<"

Never happened before, that I'm 100% (or let's say 99%) sure, that an anime-series will be a complete disappointment and waste of time, after only watching the first episode. But you did it, Madhouse.

At least the ending song was pretty good.

/hate

Sorry, had to let of some steam. I know it isn't THAT bad, but I'm really disappointed.
KuchenlightOct 3, 2011 12:06 AM
Oct 10, 2011 9:52 PM

Mar 2009
Oh boy, this is rushed. The OST could use some work, as well.

OP is okay, although I prefer the first series' OPs.

The ED is going to take some time getting used to. Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas is an acquired taste IMO.

One thing, though: WTF is going on with Hisoka's glowing crotch?

HisokaWTF.jpg
Oct 10, 2011 11:02 PM

Jun 2008
i missed this soooo much! though the first episode was an 'ok' watch, i find it rather disappointing that they omitted the scene where gon meet kaito. :(
if you bother me when i'm watching One Piece, OMAE WO KOROSU!
Oct 11, 2011 4:22 AM
May 2007
Mormegil said:
One thing, though: WTF is going on with Hisoka's glowing crotch? HisokaWTF.jpg

Haha my heart skipped a beat there.
Glad someone brought this up, I thought I'm the only one who think his is glowing!
Oct 11, 2011 9:59 AM

Oct 2009
Hmmm i liked it, great animation as expected, the BGM not so much, nice OP, meh ED.
The pacing is way too fast, they are skipping a lot of the character development and past. Maybe its something like FMA: Brotherhood was, you know catch up to where the first anime ended or something and go on normal pace from there. It also lacks the pleasant feeling the original anime had, but I like it, hopefully its gets better!
Oct 11, 2011 7:43 PM

Jun 2009
Thought it was pretty good. We'll see how it goes from here.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 11, 2011 9:02 PM

Jul 2010
wth!? where the hell did the 1999's music gone to? the OST of this remake is very disappointing. but so far, direction and animation is quite good.
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Oct 12, 2011 10:28 PM

Aug 2010
Yanoflies said:
Nostalgia...

Oct 15, 2011 12:12 AM

Oct 2007
The BGM is distracting. I don't care what anyone says, the scene with Kaito is important and should have been included; Kaito's the reason the journey begins. The ED theme does not fit the series at all. They should have stuck with the original voice cast.

I enjoy that the art style seems to not have changed all that much. I loved being able to actually watch the series as it comes out this time. I've loved HxH since it was originally released in the US and would definitely call it my favorite series.

I need to give the remake more time. Not so it can grow on me, but so I can pinpoint the things that make/break it as a series. On its own, this is a generic shonen anime and not something I would commit myself to.
Oct 19, 2011 5:52 PM
Jun 2008
AriSky said:
<span style="color:#FF6600;">I don't care what anyone says, the scene with Kaito is important and should have been included; Kaito's the reason the journey begins.

I don't care that Kaito wasn't in this episode because why Gon is starting his journey honestly isn't important at this point and I honestly think they are going to flashback to that point at a more appropriate time frame.</span>
Oct 19, 2011 6:17 PM

Sep 2010
Yemi_Hikari said:
AriSky said:<span style="color:#FF6600;">I don't care what anyone says, the scene with Kaito is important and should have been included; Kaito's the reason the journey begins.

I don't care that Kaito wasn't in this episode because why Gon is starting his journey honestly isn't important at this point and I honestly think they are going to flashback to that point at a more appropriate time frame.

Why he idolizes Hunters and his goal for becoming a hunter is damn important. Otherwise it just looks like he is trying to be a Hunter just for the hell of it or because he likes the outdoors. I thought the point of making this "definitive" anime version was going to stick to the manga and not mish-mash the order of things because they feel they can tell the story better than Togashi.</span>

Oct 19, 2011 7:52 PM
Jun 2008
Anime_Name said:
Yemi_Hikari said:
AriSky said:<span style="color:#FF6600;">I don't care what anyone says, the scene with Kaito is important and should have been included; Kaito's the reason the journey begins. </span>
Oct 20, 2011 12:54 PM
May 2007
Mormegil said:
One thing, though: WTF is going on with Hisoka's glowing crotch?

Hisoka explains himself.
Oct 20, 2011 7:50 PM

Mar 2009
Ahahahaha, thanks. The guy's hilarious. Is that taken directly from the manga?
Oct 21, 2011 3:52 AM
May 2007
Me finds him quite hilarious too, I wish they won't change the fact he is funny and a joker. Yes that's from the manga directly. I know I get a dejavu seeing that each time and I saw it in the manga.
Oct 21, 2011 3:52 AM

Aug 2009
Mormegil said:
Ahahahaha, thanks. The guy's hilarious. Is that taken directly from the manga?

isn't it obvious ?
ofc
Oct 21, 2011 6:11 AM
Sep 2009
I think the remake is really good :D
I'v watched the orginal anime + the OVA's and I'm currently reading the manga, and I actually find this better than the original, its true that its kinda sad that they skipped the Kaito part, but I find it nice that they follow the manga and skip the fillers :)
the opening is good, but I doesn't like the ending that much &gt;&lt;', its sorta wierd :P
(no offence to the people who likes it)
I just hope they keep making the anime longer than last time, so we can watch the next arc as well :D
Other than that I'm looking forward to see Illumi and Genei Roydan( If they make it that far) in a different anime style and with different voice actors :3

=^^=
Oct 30, 2011 5:30 AM

Aug 2011
Having watched the original I still thought this was good. The music is nothin' much, but it isn't bad. Except the ending... huh. Kurapika's design was pretty retarded, when compared to the original.

Hoping for Killua soon :]
Nov 4, 2011 10:25 AM

Sep 2009
When I saw the trailer for next episode I saw that they omitted a boring part....that's good. But we'll see if they will make the error of omitting important stuff.

Really really LOVED THE ED !
Nov 4, 2011 12:45 PM

Sep 2010
Hisio said:
When I saw the trailer for next episode I saw that they omitted a boring part....that's good. But we'll see if they will make the error of omitting important stuff.

Really really LOVED THE ED !

What they are omitting is content that was in the original anime but not the manga to try and be closer to the manga but they are also taking out some manga stuff. Don't claim what they have taken out is the "boring stuff".

Nov 7, 2011 8:18 AM

Aug 2007
New anime isn't that much more faithful to be honest (actually after watching 6 episodes I would say it's less faithful). Kaito wasn't in the first episode and they've added some random guy for no reason. Both changes were pointless if you ask me. Also, first episode lacks good directing, everything is paced too fast and changes between the scenes are too abrupt. It is very faithful to manga but that's why old anime &gt; manga. In old anime Gon had to make some effort in order to catch the big fish, in manga and in new anime he did it without problems. There was also an interesting "atmosphere" thanks to very fitting music and scenery (for example the night+woods+fitting music = awesome scene).
Jan 10, 2012 8:06 AM

Sep 2010
After watching the first episode, I must say that I really didn't like it, in all ways.
I still prefer the 1st version. And I don't think I will keep watching this.

Dewa...
Jan 12, 2012 12:06 AM

Apr 2010
don't know how the original one was, it may be better but I like this one.. :)
Jan 17, 2012 8:07 PM

Jul 2010
damn ten episodes past in only 1 episode.

Jan 29, 2012 10:39 AM
Aug 2011
the original much much better! </3 ;(
Feb 2, 2012 9:05 PM

Jan 2009
Entertaining first episode
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.