Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 27, 2011 2:08 AM

Mar 2010
About Alex:
Though I think he did die, there was a little hint that he did not.
This frame. Right after a Silvana crewman says that there's debris of Delphine's ship falling on the ground.
It's a human body (you can see it in motion a bit afterwards) and looks a lot like Alex to me. The legs are folded in this frame, but they're there (again, you can see it when it's in motion).
Of course, there's no proof that this isn't a dead body.
The grave could be just empty and just there as a memorial, but I guess they would've found him if he survived.
Also, it would make his final scenes a bit meaningless.
Oh, and I'm not sure if you can call that a spoiler...

Dio survives - he's still alive in the second season of Last Exile.
Jan 10, 2012 4:52 AM

Apr 2011
Erzaa said:
Um.. Last Exile was a 10 for me but went down to a 9. Every episode was perfect until the end. I actually hated the ending. Way too many things unanswered. Dio's death was in vain. All this time building his character and relationship with Claus and everyone and he just dies alone, forgotten. Even Claus said he was a friend, but I guess not. Delphine's death was stupid. Was expecting something way more horrid after everything that bitch did. Alex.. I'm glad he died. Never liked that jerk. Good to see how the world is a better place now though.. But yeah I'm unsatisfied.

I'm exactly the same, the ending really soured what had been an almost perfect series. Lucciola's death was beautiful, but after that it all crashed in a heap. Especially appalling was the complete trashing of that odd, complex relationship between Claus and Dio, that they'd spent half the series building, and Dio suddenly being pretty much forgotten. I think I spent most of the last 3 episodes thinking, where the hell's Dio and why doesn't Claus care anymore?

Mullin Shetland magically surviving was also stupid, since it was plain from Dunya's reaction that he was dead. If someone you love has been shot but is still alive, you don't walk away and leave them to bleed. Either he's dead or Dunya's a complete idiot who doesn't know how to check for a pulse, and left him to bleed his life away while she went and cried her eyes out.

It's a shame, because I was really loving the series up until that point, but now I can't look back at it without feeling almost betrayed. When an ordinary series has a crappy ending, it's no great loss, but this one was a real waste.
Jan 10, 2012 9:56 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
antisense said:

I'm exactly the same, the ending really soured what had been an almost perfect series. Lucciola's death was beautiful, but after that it all crashed in a heap. Especially appalling was the complete trashing of that odd, complex relationship between Claus and Dio, that they'd spent half the series building, and Dio suddenly being pretty much forgotten. I think I spent most of the last 3 episodes thinking, where the hell's Dio and why doesn't Claus care anymore?

Mullin Shetland magically surviving was also stupid, since it was plain from Dunya's reaction that he was dead. If someone you love has been shot but is still alive, you don't walk away and leave them to bleed. Either he's dead or Dunya's a complete idiot who doesn't know how to check for a pulse, and left him to bleed his life away while she went and cried her eyes out.

It's a shame, because I was really loving the series up until that point, but now I can't look back at it without feeling almost betrayed. When an ordinary series has a crappy ending, it's no great loss, but this one was a real waste.

We all get different things out of the same show. I found the ending good.

Regarding Dio, I never got the impression Claus considered him a close enough friend to be distracted by him given everything else going on - Claus had to be focused on keeping Alvis safe and to Exile so she could do her thing - taking care of Dio when he appeared to be trying to sabotage what Claus was doing was surely a low priority for Claus. Dio's "death" (as it seemed at the time) might have been in vain, but in war many people die in vain.

Regarding Mullin - (shrug) - not sure what I an say there other than when in combat everybody reacts differently - there were a lot of dead and dying bodies around, and what I took away was that Dunya appeared to be in shock from it all and when she saw his butchered body and the huge pool of blood on the floor she just broke. I've personally never been in combat but what I've read a lot about read about people's reactions - her reaction didn't seem unreasonable from what I've read, so I'm not going to second guess it.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.
Jan 17, 2012 1:55 AM

Aug 2010
Badly written show but entertaining nonetheless.

Dio made it worthwhile. So fucking sad he had to die. Oh well.. at least Mullen miraculously came back to life.
Feb 23, 2012 4:10 AM

Aug 2007
Too many things left for speculation, lots of loose ends.

I still liked the series despite its flaws.
Mar 4, 2012 12:21 PM

Jul 2010
Happy face :)
I'm really sad about Alex though :/ He did fulfill his desire in the end so it's alright :D

Nice, conclusive ending to a great show with great pacing.
^ There were loose ends, as others pointed out, but that's why there's another season. But it still ended the main plot well, so I can't complain.

The show gets an 8 from me :) It used to be a 9, but things got less awesome towards the end.
Apr 20, 2012 11:54 AM
Jun 2010
Hmm, finished the series in a few days, and the ending... I was kinda hoping Lavi would die =P I actually detest her character. While watching this I couldn't help but notice how alike it is with Eureka Seven, and while Claus wasn't anywhere near as annoying as Renton, Lavi wasn't anywhere near as perfect as Eureka (character wise).
I doubt Dio actually died, and I was kinda going "WTF MAN!" when Mullin died... And then they had this funeral looking thing with dark-skin babe and Lavi handing over the treaty, and crying and such, THEN SUDDENLY, A WILD MULLIN APPEARS 30 SECONDS BEFORE CREDITS! I loved dark-skin babe so much that I'm willing to accept a mystical resurrection, just cause they're both awesome.

My understanding of the ending was that they all went on Exile back to Earth, and the time lapse would have to have been at least 4-5 years, as Mullin's kid is like, somewhere between 3-4, maybe older.

I WANTED TATIANA TO BE THE LOVE INTEREST! SCREW YOU STORYLINE! Man, Lavi.... TATIANA, WHY!?
Apr 23, 2012 10:21 PM

Apr 2011
Justwon said:
Hmm, finished the series in a few days, and the ending... I was kinda hoping Lavi would die =P I actually detest her character. While watching this I couldn't help but notice how alike it is with Eureka Seven, and while Claus wasn't anywhere near as annoying as Renton, Lavi wasn't anywhere near as perfect as Eureka (character wise).
I doubt Dio actually died, and I was kinda going "WTF MAN!" when Mullin died... And then they had this funeral looking thing with dark-skin babe and Lavi handing over the treaty, and crying and such, THEN SUDDENLY, A WILD MULLIN APPEARS 30 SECONDS BEFORE CREDITS! I loved dark-skin babe so much that I'm willing to accept a mystical resurrection, just cause they're both awesome.

My understanding of the ending was that they all went on Exile back to Earth, and the time lapse would have to have been at least 4-5 years, as Mullin's kid is like, somewhere between 3-4, maybe older.

I WANTED TATIANA TO BE THE LOVE INTEREST! SCREW YOU STORYLINE! Man, Lavi.... TATIANA, WHY!?
Haha!

Lavi forever!
Jan 7, 2013 11:12 PM

Mar 2012
ihateuimeanit said:
Pretty good series, but after the harem almost scene... It went downhill -___-
But still they ended it with a very good --almost impossible-- ending, so I'll put a 9/10 just to annoy people! ^^

Why would giving it a 9/10 annoy people? I think that's a fair score for Last Exile.
Jan 22, 2013 4:37 PM
Feb 9, 2013 8:47 AM
Feb 2013
Looked alright. Even after a decade, the animation is still beautiful.

Delphine deserved a more fitting death (I actually liked her), but I do have to say she looked pretty even after she died. I liked that little touch of animation they did with her body being blown away.
Feb 14, 2013 6:57 AM

Jan 2012
Well, I didn't feel convinced about that Exile thing, but atleast it was a happy ending. Also best part without any doubt was when Alex killed Delphine, there was nothing I wanted more that to see that annoying bitch dead. That alone made the ending satisfying enough for me. In any case, Last Exile was a really good watch.

Mar 1, 2013 9:11 AM

Jun 2012
like this ending but it's better if Alex wouldn't die..
Apr 4, 2013 6:48 AM

Jan 2009
That was really one of the best series I've seen in a while. I loved the adventure of it, it was for the most part really fun.

Towards the end I wasn't sure if this was the kind of anime to actually kill off major characters, in a tragic way like that... But then when we were led to believe Mullin died, and Luciola died... I wasn't too surprised - but still incredibly sad - when Alex died.

But regarding Alex's and Dio's deaths... Or "deaths"... I want to believe what people say about Dio, especially since his death ("death") was rather glossed over, no mourning, no mention, nothing. His presence wasn't missed (well, he only did just become likable to the main characters a few episodes before the conclusion)... Maybe he isn't dead? I don't know what to make of it. As for Alex, I'm really upset about that, but, his death seems rather expected. I mean, he was out for revenge, and that didn't change the whole course of the series. That was what he was living for, he didn't seem to have much left of him after Euris died... The prospect of one day avenging her death was probably what kept him going so long after her death, even if he became an unsociable grump, lol. So when he died after getting his revenge, at the tragic hands of Sophia no less... It felt kind of...right.

Still not happy he died, but if he just magically survived that and went back to the Silvana, it wouldn't have felt very final. Sadly it just seems that's where his journey ends. Damn though, I was hoping someday, maybe years down the road, Sophia could get through that coldness of his. Meh, that's a pipe dream.

But I still want to believe that they didn't find Alex's body, and perhaps that was an empty grave, and they assume he's dead... Lol, not the case at all of course. But hey, Mullin came back and I was so sure he was dead. =[ Glad he came back though, he was awesome. xP

Well. Aside from the deaths or not deaths... It was an okay finale. A lot of things were left unanswered or without closure, but by that point I was kind of sucked up in the drama and action of the last episodes that I wasn't thinking too much about it. I know there are answers outside the show itself, in DVD booklets or magazines, but... It would've been cool to learn more about Exile, Alvis, the Guild (curious people), what becomes of Lavie and Claus' relationship, what the Silvana is up to/its next mission under presumably Sophia's command, why Exile acted the way it did and why it was supposedly obeying Delphine even with only 3 'poems' (forget the other word for them), etc...

I don't see them as plotholes rather things that weren't entirely necessary to answer, but were just things that would've been nice to have answered...but still entirely possible to forget about or fill in the blanks yourself. I'm not going to sweat over the origins of Exile, lol, but it'd be nice to do more than speculate. Still, not necessary for me to have enjoyed this series.

Which I fully did enjoy. I give it a final 9/10. The overall journey is most important, not necessarily the conclusion you arrive at, and that's how I see this show.
May 22, 2013 7:13 PM

Dec 2009
Enjoyed this series quite a bit! Sorta reminded me a bit of Eureka Seven, probably should have been as long. Glad I'm not the only one feeling left with unanswered questions. I actually kinda like that some of the characters we connected with died, some you win others you lose like real life.

7/10
Such junk...
May 30, 2013 3:30 PM
Jun 2009
Nobody was in awe in the scene where Alvis erased the omnipresent grand stream in a instant? After that you could see Anathorey on the other side of the hourglass in their artificial world. The climatic aberration seems to have been fixed, so they can leave in peace on both sides again.

This whole ending scene was a rare opportunity to see sufficiently advanced technology. Technology indistinguishable from magic.
Jun 15, 2013 8:50 AM
May 2013
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see the characters having gone back to Earth at all.
I see the world on which they currently resided as having been finally "repaired" by the last Exile.
No question that a lot wasn't handed to the viewer on a silver platter with regards to concrete explanations, but I see Exile as, among other things, a terraforming device.
I think that this was indeed a colony world, and that the Exiles were transport ships as well as terraforming devices, which had, for whatever reason, failed to compete the terraforming.
Because the existing state of the world worked very nicely for Delphine, she wanted to ensure that the Exile was never allowed to fulfill it's purpose, thereby leaving her as absolute ruler and in a position of unchallenged privilege.

As for Dio, despite the aforementioned official picture, I think he's dead, and while I would have hoped for his possible redemption and return to the fold, I think his ending works well with the story. I don't know that Dio's memory came back to be honest. I still think he was completely messed up from whatever the heck Delphine had done to him, and in that state firmly believed that Lucciola had actually jumped from the Vanship when he told him to.
I think that if Dio's memory had come back, he would have been a complete basket case realizing that he had killed so many people during the rite and lost his lifelong friend as well.
Death may have been a mercy for him.

Alex and Delphine...while I was glad Delphine finally got it, and gratified that it was at Alex's hand, it almost seemed too easy. That Alex died shortly afterwards is sad, but LE was written as a more serious story, and part of it being that is to have central characters die.

And while what I'm about to say flies directly in the face of what I just said, I'm glad they let Mullin live.
To be honest, I needed a bit of "happy ending" from a character standpoint in order to leave LE feeling truly satisfied.
I'm also going to believe that some of the children seen at the end are Claus and Lavie's for the same reason.
For me, Claus and Lavie belonged together and it was only a matter of time before the bonehead realized it.

All in all, I'd have to say that last Exile was phenomenal, and stands as a shining example of what anime can be when it's not pandering to adolescents.
It was well written. the characters were entirely consistent and believable, the artwork and animation were beautiful, and Gonzo somehow managed to do the entire thing without a single panty shot or boob grope.

I wish there was more like this.
Jul 26, 2013 8:24 PM

Sep 2011
So many victims, all tried so hard, and eventually kills the captain with his bare hands Maestro, LOL. But the anime very much, 9/10.
Oct 11, 2013 9:24 AM
Sep 2013
I really loved the designs and settings of the show. The begining was promising..

Then it got really boring towards the middle and the ending was rather dull... With all the climaxes of the show ending in an unimpressive manner and wasting a full episode on Claus getting to Exile.

Overall it was a very pretty decent anime with a boring direction..
It could have been much more imo.

I like Dio character though.

5/10.
Di-DorvalDec 22, 2013 7:21 AM
Oct 29, 2013 9:21 AM

Oct 2013
The new release of Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing picks up the Last Exile story two years later on Earth. And, some of the original characters appear in the new series, including one who was thought to be... gone. The artwork is quite a bit different from the original series, but I enjoyed the new series as much as the original - and watched back to back the two series tell a much more complete story. Very good ending to wrap everything up, as well! Together, one of my all time favorite anime series ever!

Also there is a Last Exile wiki online called "To the Sky: A Last Exile Wiki" that has a very long, detailed timeline page describing all the backstory and history of the Last Exile World - definitely a must-read - but only after you have watched the original series first, as there are many spoilers in the timeline!
Girls_with_GunsOct 29, 2013 9:25 AM
Dec 7, 2013 6:28 PM

May 2012
This sure was a nice yet touching ending with quite a lovely yet interesting concept how everything ended! I do wonder what the second season has to offer but well this ending sure was suiting enough to close up the series so I'll quite enjoy the second season as well!
Jan 3, 2014 12:04 PM

Jul 2011
That was really good ! :D an 8.5/10 for me ! I loved it. I also wanted an end where Mullin was married with kids and I got that so I am happy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2014 7:55 AM

Aug 2013
Hmm okay so the Exile is a spaceship. Didn't see that coming. I honestly thought it was just some advanced ancient civilization technology.

I'm not going to ask any more question, I'll just watch the sequel I guess. But yeah I was confused lol. I wish they could have focused more on the main plot and discovering the mystery behind Exile. I mean I don't even know what the Guild is, why they're there or how they got so powerful. Maybe I just missed it, I don't know >__<

I think that scene where Alex killed Delphine was a bit lacking. Needed more oomph I guess. But it was strangely satisfying. Alex literally killed Delphine by his own hands...or hand in this case. And was that sound the sound of Delphine's neck getting broken? Woo!

I would have given this a 10 but that ending was just really confusing. But this doesn't change the fact that this series is awesome. The characters were likable. I raged at some of them at first but then ended up liking them. The villains aren't one-dimensional either. Really loved it :)
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 7, 2014 11:47 PM

Jan 2013
WTF Ending loved the show though
Oct 18, 2014 8:51 PM

Aug 2012
WTH Delphine?

I'm disappointed in you :<
VeldarthOct 18, 2014 9:01 PM
Mar 19, 2015 1:30 PM

Mar 2012
The ending was neither bad nor good. A lot of things were conveniently left either unanswered or vague.

I can't get over how Claus abandoned Dio in the hospital when he was clearly disoriented. Was he expecting a deranged individual to stay in place? After I viewed Dio's birthday party scene, I had great expectations for the relationship between Claus, Al and Dio. However, Claus and Al left Dio all alone in the Grand Stream without a care -- as if he was merely some burdensome baggage. Is that how shallow their relationship with him was? Yes, they had a vital mission before them, but helping Dio wouldn't have been too much of an impediment. Furthermore, Dio wasn't a lost cause. He was slowly regaining his memories and personality.

Elrondp said:
How, and when, did Mullen get there? I mean, the only thing left was to make him a grave if you think about it. He got shot on the torso, stayed there for a while and the girl left him inside and went out by herself to sit right away. The guy was dead!

That's what I was thinking. If your loved one was gravely injured, it wouldn't make sense for you to leave them all alone and lament in another room. Mullin was dead in that scene. Since his corpse wasn't shown, perhaps they decided to revive him at the last minute for the hell of it.

j0x said:

and Alex death is a tragic one just when he was about to move on after he accomplish his revenge then later planning to love Sophia, the unaware Sophia fired a missile at him accidentally, what a waste of good love ending right there lol

Alex was never planning on moving on to Sophia or any other girl. His heart was reserved for Euris. The only thing that was keeping him alive in a world without her was his profound craving for revenge. After he fulfilled his vengeance, he really had no reason to be living anymore. I feel a bit bad for Sophia, but I believe that she'll be able to move on. It would be nice if she got together with Vincent.

Overall, this series was a 8/10 for me.
MischievousGhostMar 14, 2017 3:54 PM
Nov 11, 2015 6:41 PM
Dec 2010
Alex's death would've been sadder if I didn't imagine his last thoughts: "YES, I finaly got my revenge after carefully planning my own capture and pretending to be drugged! And now my trusted crew is here to get me out of this place! Wait, are those cannons?"

Maybe that wasn't Mullin? She just found someone similar and thought "close enough".
Nov 28, 2015 7:07 AM
Oct 2014
OutlawJess said:
WTF Ending loved the show though

That ending (although a little ambiguous) made the show for me. Characters had faults, even the story had some holes here and there, but it was one of the best adventures, with one of the best worlds I've seen in a long while.

Obvious spoilers;

"Prester", the "planet" this show was playing out on, with the two nations warring, and the guild? Nope, not a planet. It was a big-ass, glass-hour shaped space station, with the two nations located at the two sides, facing each other (there's a scene where looking up the sky the other side can be seen from above) housing the descendants of immigrants, who fled a certain "blue planet" (possibly Earth, although I do not remember it being mentioned), most likely because people fucked it up big time. Anyway, people built the Exiles, big-ass colony ships that transported people to Prester (and *possibly* more, similar space-stations). It was their exile and so the ships' name was "Exile" also. And this was the last Exile, thus the name "Last Exile". Yep, that happened.

The "Grand Stream"? It was a stream separating the two nations, the two sides of this "glass-hour". Exactly why it was there in the first place was not explained, or at least I don't remember it.

The "Guild", with the four houses, was originally the "head" of this space station, the overseers, keeprers, governors of it. Until a certain house (which the main bitch and Dio belonged to) decided to annihilate the remaining three because of selfish, power-hungry reasons. In short, the Guild went apeshit. Not sure if before or after, but they lost their original purpose, which was to keep the immigrants (and their descendants) alive and in time to send the Exile back to the "blue planet" it originated from. Instead they (main bitch whose name I forgot) wanted to dominate the population herself, because she was that kind of twisted cunt.

Some things are still unclear for me, maybe because I did not pay attention, or maybe because some things were not explained whatsoever, but in the end, Al activated the "last" Exile, the Grand Stream vanished (possibly because the Exile powering it left, or not, I don't know), opening the borders between the two countries. Later it returned to a certain blue planet with passengers, including the two main characters, Al, Musketeer Man, Musketeer Girl, Tsundere Pilot and her navigator. Even the crewmen of the Silvana said they "miss them". Unfortunately, it wasn't shown if there were more people on the planet ("Last" Exile, duh), or if the Exile took other passengers also, as we were only shown these few. The last scene where they are living happily in the middle of nowhere? Yep, that was the "blue planet".

Musketeer Man died? No. He did not. He was shot, yes, he lost consciousness, yes, but he did not die. So why did Musketeer Girl come out and sit down crying? Don't know. My best guess would be; surgery! She was in the way.

The kids? Those weren't Musketeer Man's, not enough time passed, those were probably the relatives of Musketeer Girl, Musketeer Man's love interest. At least (some) looked very similar.

These things weren't exactly "explained", but were referred to, or shown. I admit it took me some time to actually connect the dots.

Also...I'm quite fucking bad with names, sorry.
Jan 14, 2016 6:29 PM

Dec 2012
Dio was officially off his rocker. I couldn't feel anything but sorry for him at that point, he was completely wacka-doodle and it was painstakingly understandable why. I thought it was interesting how Wina lied to Sophie about Alex's last words. She did it without hesitation and it spoke volumes about that one way love. I liked the moment where Claus and Lavie found their fathers' vanship in Exile, but after that it started to lose me.

Usually I'm on board for interpretative conclusions and showing rather than telling, but this one just rubbed me the wrong way. The spaceship bit felt out of place in the steam punk setting and took away from the novelty of the world building. Nevertheless, I will give credit that its purpose made sense. It was established as a colonization ship before and the hint is in the Mysteria themselves. Specifically "The place where all are born and all will return. A blue world." This, combined with other responses, leads me to believe that they did indeed use Exile to travel to Earth and make a fresh start.

Although that then begs a new question - how did Mullins survive? I mean, last time we saw him, his wife to be was abandoning his corpse and sulking. Personally I didn't want him to die, but it just seemed out of nowhere to include that scene and then randomly show him to be all dandy. Still, it was a sweet little happily ever after.

Last Exile was certainly an adventure...of sorts. I don't mean to nitpick since I really did enjoy it overall, but there were certainly elements within it that left far more to be desired. For starters, I personally preferred the early episodes. There was a far more vibrant and colorful atmosphere with Lavie and Claus's dynamic duo working together as messengers. The sky was the limit (ba-dum...tsh...). But once they boarded the Silvana, it felt like that energy diminished with the battle against the Guild.

There was also the matter of the romance octagon that was starting to take shape midway. It seemed rather pointless to introduce elements of affection only to pretend they never existed later on.

With that aside, the negatives weren't nearly enough to outweigh its merits. Aside from the above gripes, I felt the journey was smooth and well executed. The characters were also particularly well handled, as demonstrated by Claus's growth and how his perspective on flying vanships changed. In contrast, Lavie wanted to hold onto her love for peaceful skies. By the end, their initially opposite visions were able to unite in their desire to protect the freedom of what had become their true home - the sky. I'd love to mention more about Dio but I'm getting tired of typing soooo....Dio rules!

Last Exile managed to weave together a very fascinating atmosphere and the art style was reminiscent to Kino's Journey. The CGI was actually very well utilized and organically blended into its sci-fi world. Admittedly I found myself dozing off during some of the air battles, but the vanship flights were always thrilling to watch.

7/10, I've heard nothing but bad things about the sequel but ironically it looks more up my alley so I may give it a go in the near future.
Nov 6, 2016 2:42 PM
Sep 2009
Why does everyone think Dio is dead? You could clearly hear his voice towards the end. He is alive.

And when it stands between saving a whole world and one person, world does kinda come first considering that end of a world would mean end of Lavi, Al and far more people that Clause cares for. There was no luxury to go after Dio in that storm when they were already late. Dio's madness could cause even more problems at that stage. And how exactly should they know that Dio started to regain his memories? It was Dio's personal flashback, not public announcement.

Also did that sound girl lie? Cause I'm sure it's not Sophia Alex said.

Now then... for a show named after weapon of mass destruction, Last Exile was completely pointless. Take it out and not a single thing would have changed since Delphine was killed by Alex and her fleet was taken down by strategic missile attack. Replace Exile with even bigger fleet and result would be the same. We know nothing about Exile, how it functions, where it came from, how is Al related to it and why on earth can she control it?

Claus coming with Al barely effected anything, his whole mission was pointless. It pretty much made his, Al's and Lavi's whole existence pointless in the series. They did not contribute anything. Series could have easily focused on Silvana alone, would be far more progressive and entertaining.

Honestly I had high hopes for the series when I started but it was a massive disappointment. Series wasted more time on pointless love triangle and out of nowhere Sophia/Claus kiss than actual plot. Horrible.

I'm afraid this show was nothing more than average for me. I could care less about any of the characters. Maull is the only one I kinda liked. Such a waste considering it reminded me of Final Fantasy franchise.
Jan 25, 2017 6:52 PM

Sep 2014
Why do I have the feeling that 70% ~ of this shows important event and explanations happened off-screen?? Oh well..

Also, annoying leads and only 2 interesting characters (Alex and Dio) dying in the end didn't make it any better. The only thing that made me rate 6 and not 5 was that Delphine s* getting chocked to death.

6/10
May 22, 2017 12:51 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A bit of an odd ending, but overall a very enjoyable show. I thought Dio's death was very well done. All his life he's had Lucciola right by his side and when he snapped out of his stupor, he was nothing without his other hand.

Delphine's death came out of nowhere. Out until the very end she thought she was in total control and her face when Alex grabs her by the neck is priceless.

If I have to point out a weakness of the series (besides too much happening offscreen) it's Claus. He just had so little in place of personality. He could have been better developed and written. And don't get me started on the weird haremic turn it took halfway through. It felt inappropriate
On to the sequel I guess.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 23, 2017 5:15 AM

Jun 2013
Well, I guess that happened. I don't like the priorities of the finale. Instead of expanding on the more intriguing aspects of the show, and leaving the personal narratives of Claus and Mullin and the like up to our imagination, it did the opposite.

Dio and Alex died in some pretty unsatisfying ways, and Delphine never really got the chance to be a three dimensional character. Oh well.

It's too bad they didn't recognize the strength of the material they had on their hands; if the narrative had been tightened up, for example by cutting the melodrama baggage surrounding Claus, as well as developing the core ensemble with fewer distractions, this could have been an all around excellent series. But that's just my opinion.

At the end of the day, it had several good ideas and at least it looked pretty.
Feb 25, 2018 3:16 PM

Oct 2016
huh? So what? What happened? What was so great about the ship ? How is there peace in the new planet? Was there other life there? How was Alvis connected to the ship? Why was she the only one able to open it? Who seperated the poems that needed to open it? What does the ship do now? Who governs it? What happened to Dio, he was the only good character that made sence, killing him off isn't right, his friend sacrificed his life to save him. So much uneeded romance in the middle and the main couple doesn't even end up together?
Man and i thought bleach had a loose ending...
i had high hopes for this show it had such a good setting... bummer
Feb 26, 2018 7:53 PM

Jan 2013
Man its like hardly anyone paid attention to anything and are asking questions that have been answered years ago. Anyway, I'm rewatching this show after a couple years and I still think its an amazing adventure series. Yes, the ending is rushed and I would of liked a bit more clarification on things but it was still great. Delphine's death was satisfying for me, bitch got her necked snapped. The only part that was meh for me was the romance which didn't really go anywhere. Well, I guess Mullin finally got his girl. Great show, not as great as Eureka Seven but still pretty damn good.
Nov 28, 2019 6:56 PM

Aug 2008
Felt nothing from Dio's "death", crazy guy who killed several innocent people yet I am supposed to care about him because Lucciola sacrificed himself. Nope. Really all the characters felt muted and not really fleshed out.

Claus and Lavie's relationship never really went anywhere which is annoying and in the end Alex was just a one dimensional character looking for revenge and nothing else to him. Decent show for all that but after rewatching just isn't as good as I recall.
Dec 1, 2020 2:30 AM

May 2020
This was just disappointing. We never learn anything about this world enough to actually care. The main characters are barely interesting and the interesting ones are dead.

You don't have to spoon-feed me the answers but at least make an effort to answer something damnit. Overall, this series had a few good moments but honestly, I just could not care about any of this. 5/10.
Jan 6, 2021 4:38 PM

May 2010
Was between a 6 and 7 during the series, this ending kinda pushed it down to 6 for sure.

Overall an enjoyable watch, but nothing too special. None of the characters really stood out. The world was interesting, but we didn’t see enough to care too much about it. I think with more episodes it could have been better. Would like to have seen more world and character development.
Feb 26, 2021 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
I'm... kinda too dumb for this anime, I think? I even rewatched the last few episodes and I just don't get a few things. Is it me or is it the anime lol?
Why didn't need Delphine Alvis' power anymore? Why didn't she need Dio anymore? Why ... uhm. I'm just confused. .__.
I loved this, but in the end some events were just so damn random and kinda deus ex machina.
May 25, 2021 11:55 PM

Jun 2016
As the alliance force rush Delphine's ship, Claus, Lavie and Alvis get closer to delivering the poem and ending everything.

Would you look at that, a happy ending. How nice.

I still have little to no clue what Exile is, why it was there in the first place, who created it and how it got there, and tbh I think I'll never know (unless it's explained in the sequel, of course).

So Mullin is alive. Awesome. Shame Alex had to die, tho. I wonder if Alex could have choked Delphine to death sooner, avoiding his own death...

Last Exile wasn't necessarily a bad watch. It had interesting and enjoyable characters. Decent CG for 2006, although frustratingly out of focus most of the time. What let this show down for me was the lack of consistency and care for the art and character designs. The animation and plot were average too.
A-Simple-SquireMay 26, 2021 12:06 AM

Jul 22, 2021 1:53 PM

Aug 2017
Delphine's death was definitely anticlimactic (I actually liked it) and funny, in a sense...until I realized they were going to kill Alex ;_;

Overall Last Exile turned out to be an enjoyable steampunk show, but I think the mysterious elements could've been either less mysterious or better fleshed out...I wasn't too huge of a fan of the ending and the whole Exile thing, not gonna lie. Alvis' connection to it is still a mystery, how does that even work?

Dio's fate is left ambiguous, given that we hear his voice in the engine room later on (how?), and he seems to be a character in the sequel? Well, even if he died, that was pretty sad. Same if he didn't.

This frame. Right after a Silvana crewman says that there's debris of Delphine's ship falling on the ground.
It's a human body (you can see it in motion a bit afterwards) and looks a lot like Alex to me. The legs are folded in this frame, but they're there (again, you can see it when it's in motion).

The link isn't working anymore, but what I see after that line is a green vanship, not a body.

P.S. Still no idea who that weird yellow person in white...things in the first opening was.
St0rmbladeJul 25, 2021 2:21 PM
Jul 30, 2021 6:39 AM

Dec 2020
for people who are confused about the fact that Al didn't age, read this: "The epilogue shows that he [Mullin] survived to be with Dunya and live on a farm alongside Dunya's siblings. Many viewers mistakenly assumed the child shown to be Mullin's son. Additional materials state the child is Dunya's younger brother."

this is from the character info.

so sad :( I thought they were their children.
Aug 12, 2022 11:17 AM
Sep 2013
I'm going to start saying that this anime is an original work, that is, everything was thought of only when they were animating, there is no material before they could use it as a base.
With that said, here we go:
I think the anime remains consistent from the beginning, it may improve a little after the second episode, but after that in the vision it remains in quality.
Characters are very good, I don't hate the characters in this anime are very good, I saw people saying that they hate such characters, but they are very normal, I don't hate their roles very well, especially the protagonist, himself being a normal person, with his roles very well, especially the one, himself being a normal and flawed person, did not fail to move forward from the beginning.
With the characters even though I don't hate them, only a few have a few to mention actions that I'm not a little stressed, nothing too big, one of them Lavie jealous of Claus when Tatiana comes back dressed with Tatiana comes back clothes of him, since both were in equivalence lost in the desert and nothing had happened and the other character is Sophia when she kissed Claus out of nowhere even though she liked Alex, so I didn't understand her relationship with Claus.
I could have something from Alex, but I thought it was coherent and only he was weird to be worried, he wouldn't have asked anything about it.
Animation: The animation of the anime is very good if you take into account what was done at the time of its release, even for me the CGI parts are much better even some animations made today (2022), the anime positively surprised me .
"Man liked the story since, for sure, after I never saw these two battles I remembered when I was up to a battle remembering more of the moment as I ended up socializing, about what happens later in the anime wars" If there is an attempt to find out, completely, which never explains to me what the world was, when they lived was not so mysterious. the ending doesn't explain these things anyway, in fact the ending doesn't leave much open in my opinion, it impacts the note I would give the anime, nor would it impact the story of it, there are endings that destroy a work completely but this is not one of them .
The anime at the end certainly gave a rush but making a defense, the year was 2003, the animation of the anime is very good and the anime still got 26 I think to do something better and complement what was missing only if the anime had more 12 /13 that is, the anime would have to have a total of 39 episodes, it would be too expensive
Vousale with that, I think other only studies on those, I didn't push, that were excited, I didn't push of it were up to the belly, I think the thing is not so good in it is the novel, we so important an episode that happened a little salt on the wound but it doesn't extend much, I wish it had a little more romance but that would be my personal taste, in the end we see us see them so they must form a couple, and we see Claus with his 4 wives, Nessavis,Alister,Alister), we don't know and Holly would enter, these brides Sophia too.
The ending kind of hints that the world they had recently was a colony in space, that is until the old colony where the protagonists lived had a metal hole in the visa, it had a life of water to the ground and the population could not see it at the end and Lavie's parents die if not everyone else, and the exile ship took the kids we had in the episode, where Alex and Lavie's parents were buried, but nothing to talk about.
8/10

PT-BR

Vou começar a falar que esse anime é uma obra original, ou seja tudo foi pensado somente quando foram animar, não tem nenhum material antes que eles pudessem usar como base.
Dito isso vamos lá:
Eu acho que o anime se mantém consistente desde o começo, pode melhorar um pouco depois do segundo episódio, mas depois disso na visão ele se mantém em qualidade.
Personagens são muito bons, eu não odeio os personagens desse anime são muito bons, vi pessoas falando que odeiam tais personagens, mas são muito normais, eu não odeio seus papéis muito bem, em especial o protagonista, ele mesmo sendo uma pessoa normal, com seus papéis muito bem, em especial o, ele mesmo sendo uma pessoa normal e falhas, não deixaram de seguir em frente desde o começo.
Com os personagens mesmo não tendo ódio de deles, só alguns tem alguns alguns de citar deles ações que eu não tenho um pouco de estressado, nada muito grande, um deles a Lavie com ciúmes do Claus quando a Tatiana volta vestida com a Tatiana volta roupa dele, visto que ambos estavam em equivalência perdidos no deserto e não tinha rolado nada e o outro personagem é a Sophia quando ela beijou do nada o Claus mesmo gostando do Alex,então não entendi essa relação dela com Claus.
Eu poderia algo do Alex, mas achei coerente e apenas ele estranho de ficar preocupado, não teria nada pedido a respeito.
Animação: A animação do anime é muito boa se levar em conta o que foi feito na época de lançamento dele, até pra mim as partes em CGI são muito melhores até algumas animações feitas hoje em dia (2022), o anime me surpreendeu positivamente questão.
"Cara gostaram da história desde, com certeza, depois que eu nunca vi essas duas batalhas me lembrei quando eu estava até uma batalha me lembrando mais do momento como finalsociei, sobre o que ocorre depois no anime wars" Se há uma tentativa de descobrir, completamente, que nunca me explica qual era o mundo, quando viviam não era tão misteriosa. o final não explicado essas coisas mesmo assim, de fato final não deixa muita coisa em aberto ao meu ver impacta na nota que eu daria pro anime, nem impactaria na história do mesmo, existem finais que destroem uma obra completamente mas esse não é um deles.
O anime no final com certeza deu uma rushada mas fazendo uma defesa, o ano era 2003, a animação do anime é muito boa e o anime ainda conseguiu 26 acho que para fazer algo melhor e complementar o que faltava só se o anime tivesse mais 12 /13 ou seja o anime teria que ter no total 39 episódios, seria custoso de mais
Vousale com que, acho que outros únicos estudos sobre aqueles, eu não empurrei, que foram empolgado, eu não empurrei de ele foram até a barriga, acho que a coisa não é tão boa nele é o romance, nós tão importantes um episódio que aconteceu um pouco de sal na ferida mas não se estende muito, eu queria que tivesse um pouco mais de romance mas esse seria meu gosto pessoal, no final a gente vê a gente vê-los então eles devem formar um casal,e vemos Claus com suas 4 esposas, nessavis,Alister,Alister),não sabemos e Holly entrariam, nestas noivas Sophia também.
Final meio deixa a entender que o mundo que eles tinham recentemente era uma colônia no espaço, o é até a colônia antiga onde os protagonistas moravam tinha um buraco de metal no visto, tinha uma vida de água até o chão e a população não podia se ver isso aos finais e os pais de Lavie morrer se não todo o mundo, e a nave exile levou as crianças que a gente no episódio, onde Alex e os pais de Lavie foram enterrados, mas nada a falar .
Nota 8/10
Aug 23, 2022 11:11 AM
Jul 2019
The ending could of been better. I wanted to know more about Dio.
Nov 17, 2022 7:17 PM

Aug 2019
While yes, I loved this ending, I also can't help but feel like maybe it was rushed, or it wasn't put together in the best way. They "freed" Exile, and then suddenly they were inside it? But also there was a ton of other people in there too? Like they just showed up there? I'm glad Mullin is alive (which is like, what? It looked like he died two episodes ago. I don't like how they did that), and I think Dio is alive too? I think you can hear his voice in the engine room... But how? We saw him fall in The Grand Stream, and suddenly he's back on the Sylvana? How did that even happen? Again, I loved this ending but I feel like it could've been done better, but then again, that's with a lot of things from this anime. Some things felt off and awkward at times, but overall I enjoyed this! So glad I finally got around to watching this! This was awesome! :D
Nov 20, 2022 10:48 AM

Dec 2018
so i guess exile was a colony ship meant to terraform and spread humans across the galaxy. not sure where "the guild" comes in, but the ending, even if a bit rushed, was quite beautiful. i also don't like how dio was just killed off with no resolution to his character.
Dec 5, 2022 8:02 AM
Nov 2018
Fucking Gonzo and their rushed endings ,literally the same as with Bokurano,NHK and some their other series from that period.

It really was their MO.
Jan 12, 2023 10:45 AM

Aug 2016
This episode jumps around from one twist to another without really giving you much time to process what's happening, and Dio's death scene was unintentionally funny due to how he just falls off his plane and there's absolutely no reaction from Claus, Lavie or anyone else despite them having become his friends, they also don't explain how Mullin survived, one scene showing him being treated by a medic before the ending would already be good enough to be honest. There's a handful of stuff that's left ambiguous, like the backstory surrounding the Guild, Prester's creation and the Exile, which is a shame because exploring all of this in a flashback episode or something like that would be very interesting.

That being said, I do think this is a good ending from a thematic standpoint. Last Exile is mainly a story about people's ability to change and adapt, as well as how much of an influence the past has on who they are, this being applied to a context like war, which is something that always brings changes to the world at large. Aside from the characters' individual stories relating to their pasts, there's the overall idea of Anatoray and Disith repeating the exact same mistakes that led to the Earth being ruined and the migration to Prester happening in the first place by waging war against each other, while the Guild's overall apathy towards them stems from the fact that the previous generation of their houses failed at passing on their knowledge to the new one, which in turn led to their internal conflicts and Delphine taking over. Seeing how much death and destruction all of this caused, the people who survived and returned to the now healed Earth can put what they learned from their experiences in Prester into practice and hopefully create a better future for themselves and for mankind as a whole once they repopulate the planet. This conclusion might be way too optimistic for some people, you can argue that realistically there will be some conflict in the future because humanity is hardwired to go to war or whatever, but I think having such a positive ending for Last Exile is a breath of fresh air compared to the high amount of "human bad" messages these types of stories tend to bring with them.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jan 31, 2023 1:36 PM

Apr 2016
First, I will say that Last Exile is cool. Airships with people manning observations towers looking around with binocular towers, people shouting down brass tubes, morse code signaling. Airship battles. The Silvana crew look good in their uniforms and Alex looks great in his black coat. Instead of the usual "plucky rebels vs evil empire" setup, instead it's the empire and the nomadic barbarians team up to fight the guild, which has a monopoly on clean water while everyone else is drinking filthy water and nations are disappearing off of the face of the earth because of drought.

That being said, rule of cool is no substitute for the fundamentals of storytelling. Proper pacing and scene tension, coherent plotting, and so on. Unfortunately, Last Exile just does not hold up. The show was okay up until the Silvana's first battle with the Urbanus at the Dragon's Fangs. After that, the show begins to break down. Characters we were supposed to take seriously as adult military officers begin acting like indecisive manbabies. The mystery boxes are not paid off in a timely manner and have unsatisfying reveals. Things happen for no apparent reason. Why are there thousands of people evacuating onto rockets in the middle of nowhere, that then launch and crash? No clue. Why is Alvis and Exile so important? No clue. Why isn't the Guild doing anything to stop the Alliance when they are clearly massing for an attack? The fact that the engine compartments of ships in this setting were sealed off and contained guild personnel was not apparent until the last few episodes. Why did Luciolla put the suicide ring on? Why was the Maestro able to control Exile without Alvis or the last stanza? Why does Alvis have the power to control Exile anyway? If Exile was a colony ship then shouldn't everyone on the planet be descended from the colonists and should be able to control Exile? Why was Exile covered in a shell and floating around in the Grand Stream in the first place? And so on.

I've heard that the sequel series is "worse" and often viewed as noncanon by fans, but I am curious as to how it could possibly be worse than the first.
Valyrian1124Jan 31, 2023 2:08 PM
Feb 1, 2023 10:26 PM

Aug 2016
@Valyrian1124 most of your questions are answered in the series, though.

Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Jul 11, 2008

64 by Inter_anime »»
Apr 24, 10:44 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 23 Discussion

37 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 19, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 19 Discussion

19 by MagicPolly »»
Jan 16, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 16 Discussion

18 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 15, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 14 Discussion

29 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 14, 6:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.