Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2008 1:28 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Why did my heart warm when Sayla-san appeared for the first time since the last episode of Mobile Suit Gundam?

Do I have a thing for Sayla-san!?

!!!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 26, 2008 5:02 AM

Feb 2008
Random cameo I guess, she didn't even speak! :(
Oct 19, 2009 9:59 PM

Feb 2009
Sayla-san! Welcome back, also we see Kaz in the backstage watching what was going on, that sneaky sly individual!

Amuro and Char together sharing their thoughts in the end of the episode, the greatest two rivals, companions and character I've seen in anime, was a magnificent sight.
Jan 18, 2010 12:50 PM

Jul 2008
jerid is so stupid, he helped them prove their point
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jul 30, 2010 9:31 AM

Apr 2009
So wait... is Char like Greenpeace or sth? Generally the episode was rather uneven, as usual with Gundam thus far... parts of the speech for instance were kinda laughable... instead of outing the Titans for what they are Char wasted all that time promoting, quite blandly too, his ludicrous plan to save the earth utilizing uninspired sentimentalisms a 5 years-old could come up with... and parts of the speech felt quite awesome, like when Char finally decided to talk about the Titans...
Aug 4, 2010 8:37 AM

May 2008
The Titans managed to prove that they're wrong during the speech of Char~ Beltorchika earned my respect, she developed a lot since we last saw her. Even we got to see Sayla for a few moments, I hope she'll reappear and reunion with Char~
Aug 23, 2010 12:39 AM

Sep 2009
Yay Sayla!

Awesome speech by Char.
I really liked that Titans guy who died though.
Tragic, he was fighting for a cause that didn't really exist.
Dec 8, 2010 12:30 AM

Dec 2007
This episode, like many of the others, left me completely speechless in the end. I can already tell that I will be re-watching this series for the rest of my life.
DunkyDec 8, 2010 12:38 AM
Jan 4, 2011 10:19 AM

Aug 2009
Woo! Hai Sayla!

That speech by Char was brilliant. His destiny is sealed now!

Man he looks good in a suit <3
Jul 28, 2011 4:33 AM
Jul 2018
Wee, Gundam politics and enviromentalist speeches. As usual, mecha battles take priority over everything else, even if that one in particular helped Char prove his point. But still I was hoping for a memorable, thought-out speech that wasn't going to be cut off every ten seconds or so. But this is Gundam, so silly me.

Also, good to see some Beltorchika action now that she apparently quitted being the crazy psycho bitch.
May 8, 2013 5:58 PM
Apr 2008
Sayla-san~ (●´∀`)ノ♡

Beatnik said:
Why did my heart warm when Sayla-san appeared for the first time since the last episode of Mobile Suit Gundam?

Do I have a thing for Sayla-san!?

!!!

Hey, back off, man! Σ(-`Д´-ノ;)ノ

Alas86 said:
So wait... is Char like Greenpeace or sth? Generally the episode was rather uneven, as usual with Gundam thus far... parts of the speech for instance were kinda laughable... instead of outing the Titans for what they are Char wasted all that time promoting, quite blandly too, his ludicrous plan to save the earth utilizing uninspired sentimentalisms a 5 years-old could come up with... and parts of the speech felt quite awesome, like when Char finally decided to talk about the Titans...

I shared the exact same sentiments. Char's speech wasn't bad, but it relied too much on the fallacy of emotional appeals; however, the audience saw the Titans' actions speak for themselves, so it actually wasn't hard to believe that the audience was persuaded—I just wish the speech was far more convincing.

When Beltorchika said (roughly), "The assembly members are being drawn to his speech," I was displeased with how forced the comment was/it being used as a writer's crutch to make sure the viewers understand that the speech was "serious business".

Oh, and Amuro one smooth fella.
TheOtherJNMay 8, 2013 6:03 PM
May 18, 2013 2:16 PM

Nov 2011
We don't fight in this war to take lives but to save people.

Or something like that. Char has some great quotes.

Woww..At the end there with Char, Kamille, and Amuro. That was definitely a cool shot with all them working together.

Err, and I think Kamille might be the first person I've seen Char genuinely care about. I wonder if he sees himself in Kamille or something. Everyone else, Char treats as tools as means to his end.
Jun 19, 2013 4:00 PM

Nov 2009
Awesome episode, the 2nd half of the show has been great so far and this ep proved that even more, the Char & Amuro interaction was awesome and the Sayla cameo was even more awesome, I cant stop saying awesome.
Jun 30, 2013 8:43 PM

Mar 2010
Why is the show so much better when they're on earth? How can that be possible?

Not that it isn't great when they're in space, but I feel like all my favorite episodes are from earth stories.
MyLonesomeCowboyJun 30, 2013 8:47 PM
Aug 4, 2013 12:14 PM

Oct 2008
Sayla! I was starting to think she won't appear.
Anyway, really good episode.
Though most of Char's speech was kinda stupid.
HatulAug 4, 2013 12:21 PM
Dec 10, 2013 11:36 PM

Sep 2008
I really liked this. Char's speech was bit bland, but hey! Episode where MS battle is not 100% centerpiece of episode but it is actually bit in the background while real action is elsewhere.
Jan 4, 2014 12:39 PM

Mar 2013
It might have been a mistake to start this timeline with Zeta instead of MSG. I don't get why Char and Amuro are buddies here. Still, all I know is that Jerid is fucking retarded.
Feb 5, 2014 12:03 PM
Aug 2011
They're boyfrands and why would anyone start from Zeta anyway?
Mar 7, 2014 10:14 PM

May 2008
Hi Sayla.

While Char's speech was pretty dumb, especially since it kept getting interrupted, I think this was the best Zeta episode so far. Almost everything was excellent and we actually have Amuro and Char talking to each other! We can't we have more of these scenes?

Bye, Sayla. Until the sequel.
Jun 3, 2014 11:08 AM
Jan 2013
Sayla is back! Amuro time to switch blondes. Char should've mentioned some of the things the titans have done like trying to drop a colony on another or using poison gas to wipe out colonies.
Jul 8, 2014 5:57 PM

Jul 2009
Another amazing episode!!

First off i love how Amuro and Kamille are in good spirits now. It seems Kamille won't stay crying for long compared to Char and Amuro where it took them 7 years to move on from Lalah's death.

And wow Beltorchika with the same glasses as Char!!!! The more i look at her the more she really resemble Sayla!

Sayla!!!! She looks beautiful as ever. It seems she's staying at a near bar with Kai Shiden.

I read from few episode from back. Someone mentioned that Sayla's seiyuu wasn't available at the time of Zeta. I wish she ended up with Amuro and instead of creating a Sayla like.

I don't mind Beltorchika even though in the first few episodes she's pampering Amuro. It's just a shame they had to create someone that looks like Sayla instead of just using her in the first place.

Plus it would have been fun to see how Char's reaction would that be. I'm guessing he will be okay with it since he wants Sayla to live with full of happiness.

It's awesome to see Char and Amuro drinking and conversing peacefully!!! Even Beltorchika and Kamille who use to hate each other are now conversing. I like this Beltorchika now compared to back then!

Can't wait for the next episode!!!! We're almost done T__T
Mar 27, 2016 5:17 PM
Nov 2015
This episode is kind of what I expected Zeta to be like. Politics and fights and Char and Amuro sharing the spotlight. I like that it's PR that is winning public opinion to the AEUG's side.
May 1, 2016 9:23 PM

Dec 2015
The episode's story was great, the way it was made not so much: almost every characters faces were horribly drawn and the constant back-and-forth between the speech and the fight was annoying. I am also wondering if Jerid exists only for convenience..
Beltorchika behavior was quite surprising. Finally useful and less stupid!

The Casval's speech was full of this stupid Zeonism ! I was right, this guy didn't change ! No matter what his name is, he's still the "enlightened" little boy whose wish is to follow his father's path and be the heir of his will. -_- How can such a thing impress Earth leaders? Even worse for us, the watchers: we actually know his view on the matter better than this. Where her father and the Zabi family's ideology was based on the superiority of the spacenoids, Char once said the real conflict was between Old and Newtypes, the NT being the superior race! That's why I couldn't understand why Kai, Hayato, EVERYONE who knows him from before were pushing him to enter the political game: he is no viable leader, he's a mass extinction trigger who needs to cope with her mother's loss...
What a disappointment to see Amuro warmly trink with him right after that (when it should have been a great scene).
Sayla's mute appearance would have been better if she did not sem to agree with her brother: she was clearly against it when he exposed the same ideas to her back on Texas.

theGreenDeath said:
This episode is kind of what I expected Zeta to be like. Politics and fights and Char and Amuro sharing the spotlight.

I thought I was alone but my illusions were shared.

4/5 because the idea was great but the execution poor and Char could not stick to the accusations against the Titans and the spacenoïds discrimination .

October 11, 2019
DazeFire said:
Sayla she finally showed up again but sadly didn't even talk once.

The actress wasn't available, if I remember well.
Rei_IIIOct 11, 2019 4:10 AM
Jun 18, 2016 11:21 PM

May 2016
First of all, what the hell happened to the animation towards the end of the episode?

Mobile Suit Gundam had the occasional lousy drawing but this is an abomination. The above image isn't even the worst one to appear during that stretch. This one is (not for the faint of heart):

I don't know what to think about Zeta's habit of mixing convincing, serious stuff with profound silliness. Both the mission as a whole and the continuation of Jerid's slow descent into insanity were really nice to witness. Char's speech much less so - a particularly intelligent 12 year old could write that.

"We will take the people who have remained on Earth to space, and that task can't be done without some human sacrifices."

So Amuro is now aboard the Suspiciously Extremist Train. Interesting.

Lease_of_LifeJun 19, 2016 12:17 AM
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Nov 23, 2016 8:05 AM

Nov 2011
The plot takes a step forward, although the script is compelling. The thing that makes me happiest is the appearance of Artesia, anyway. Who knows what will decide to do. Yet another fighter, very well run. Drawings (except for a few scenes) and animations, more than good.
Nov 27, 2016 10:01 PM

Jun 2013
Great episode as always! I have no idea why, but the twenty seconds of Sayla that we got made the episode twenty times better!
Mar 2, 2017 8:47 AM

May 2012
The truth is out! Pretty impressive story development, let's see what's next!
Feb 3, 2018 2:44 PM

May 2015
I enjoy this episode. I wish they would have done this sooner (trying to tell the whole earth [civilians] and some Federation/Titans soldiers who aren’t aware of the crime committed by them) in the beginning of the show so that we had a more ambiguity in the show (in the sense of exploring some of the soldiers questioning the methods vs the ones who obey without questioning their superiors)… the only thing was the death of Four was only cover at the end of this episode…
Feb 25, 2018 7:12 PM

Feb 2012
I'm actually impressed that this episode got me to hate the AEUG. I thought their goal was just to stop the Titans from being dicks, but AEUG really wants to relocate all of humanity to space. That was the same position that Zeon took that lead to the One Year War. I can respect the sentiment of wanting to protect the Earth, but the reason Earth is in such a poor state is because Zeon DROP A COLONY ON IT. I still can't wrap my head around the idea that Zeta Gundam is pushing the ideas of eco-terrorists as good with a straight face. AEUG's position seems more evil to me than the Titans, even though the Titans use more deplorable methods.

I also don't understand why it was so wrong for the Titans to fight that battle. The AEUG conducted a military operation to seize the ruling body of the Earth Federation, and yet the Titans are the bad guys for trying to stop the AEUG. Kamille has no ground to complain about being attacked when he is flying a machine of war over the Earth Federation's capital.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
0 kills this episode
6 kills this war
83 kills total

Kamille Bidan Kill Count:
1 Asshimar and 2 Hizack Kills this episode
3 kills this episode
48 Kills total
Nov 4, 2018 5:01 PM

Nov 2016
Best episode in a while.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 8, 2019 1:27 AM

Jul 2019
Phaetons_Folly said:
I'm actually impressed that this episode got me to hate the AEUG. I thought their goal was just to stop the Titans from being dicks, but AEUG really wants to relocate all of humanity to space. That was the same position that Zeon took that lead to the One Year War. I can respect the sentiment of wanting to protect the Earth, but the reason Earth is in such a poor state is because Zeon DROP A COLONY ON IT. I still can't wrap my head around the idea that Zeta Gundam is pushing the ideas of eco-terrorists as good with a straight face. AEUG's position seems more evil to me than the Titans, even though the Titans use more deplorable methods.

I also don't understand why it was so wrong for the Titans to fight that battle. The AEUG conducted a military operation to seize the ruling body of the Earth Federation, and yet the Titans are the bad guys for trying to stop the AEUG. Kamille has no ground to complain about being attacked when he is flying a machine of war over the Earth Federation's capital.

I completely agree, you can't just invade and deploy war machinery throughout the city and expect the enemy not to defend themselves, that's madness. And now the AEUG is shoe-horning their extremist views into this war against the titans, now if you don't like them or their methods you must support radical Zeonism. I was hoping Char to recognize his own sophistry at the end of this episode, that would have been a brilliant way to reintroduce the moral ambiguity of the last series, but that didn't happen.

Still, this was a much better "Lalah's episode" than the Four's one, as they were both about how mutual understanding can stop any conflict (instead of that stupid Cyber-Newtype bullshit that doesn't make any sense so far), it's a shame that it was ultimately undermined by how badly written politics are on this show.
Oct 7, 2019 9:44 PM

Apr 2014
seriously now that titan idiot needs to die already as each time he's shown he gets more stupid lol

as for Sayla she finally showed up again but not much from her sadly didnt even talk once

but nice ep nonetheless
"one step at a time"
Jun 16, 2020 1:45 PM

Aug 2017
The whole Zeta was worth it for several seconds of Sayla :3 I wish she was an important character in this installment, but alas >_<

Char finally disclosed his identity to the whole world. Poor guy! Though I should add that politics in this show is so close to nonexistent that I can't comprehend the substantive difference between everyone's political positions.

By the way, I appreciated the guy who changed his mind and also protected Beltorchika from some serious sexual harassment.

I also congratulate Beltorchika for being useful for once. Strangely, the animation quality during her talk with Kamille dropped.

P.S. What did they do with Four's body after Kamille brought it on the plane?
St0rmbladeJun 17, 2020 2:15 AM
Aug 18, 2021 7:43 PM

Apr 2014
Okay so the Char speech was cool, and the way it played into the mech battle was well-done, but why did he do it? Was it because Kamille randomly told him to at the end of the last episode? None of this makes sense.

But it's okay because

SAYLA

Gundam best girl finally makes a return.
Jan 2, 2022 3:40 PM

Feb 2017
That was some extreme camerawork by Beltorchika. That footage must have made it to gundamverse liveleak. Hey, I wonder what the internet is like in the gundamverse...
Jun 25, 2022 2:18 AM

May 2012
This is probably my favorite episode of the series up to this point. Great, great stuff.

Imo the weakest part was the shoehorned in Titan who had his beliefs changed, because it felt a little too obvious that he was a plot device more so than a character.

And to be honest, if Jerid died and got replaced by Yazan as Kamille's main rival, I would be fine with that. I used to like Jerid when he had more ambition and nuance, but it seems like Maour and Scirocco appeared and drained that all out of him.
Jun 28, 2022 9:22 PM
Jan 2017
Bloody hell this was terrible. The AEUG. wanted show how bad the Titans were but ended up being the biggest asses of them all. Holding the ruling body of the Federation at gun point. Flying there mechs over a major city. Expecting the titans to fight them. To show how bad they are, when didn't do anything that bad apart from being reckless. All whilst char goes on about how the earth suffering and he's here to go on about true zoanics. (doubt i spelt that right).Thinking this will will bring people to use.

And the worst part is. it works! Its fine if people are sick of the titans and the federation but only the people on the colonies suffered from them. At least directly.

The worst part is. All they had to do is go on about the colony gassing from early in zeta. To bring it back round. But the show been running around. jumping from space to earth. Back to space again like a headless chicken. It never had time for that. Even if they thought of the idea of getting proof the federation or titans did it.

This just sour zeta for me and even pissed me off a little.
Mar 26, 2023 11:30 PM
Nov 2020
Everyone hating on the blond Belka girl, but this episode shows that she has some real balls.
Jul 18, 2023 3:26 PM
Sep 2019
Awesome character moments and reunions, Char's amazing speech and how it affects those who listen. All in all a really good episde!
Aug 29, 2023 3:52 AM

Jul 2017
despite non liking the anime very much, I LOVED this episode, truly wonderful
also, sayla i missed you so much.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Sep 8, 2023 6:12 PM
Aug 2016
Good speech. Watching Amuro and Char speak is the best, also Kamille and the other girl.

So i am a human sacrifice?
Maybe humans sacrifices run in your family.
Mar 26, 1:32 PM
Nov 2022
absolutely lost it when Amuro makes that joke "human sacrifices run in your family"
p13guMar 26, 1:35 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jun 6, 2008

92 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 15, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jun 9, 2008

73 by Dane-se »»
Feb 7, 8:50 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 47 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 20, 2009

44 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Jan 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 27 Discussion

MrHatandClogs - May 27, 2009

38 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Jan 21, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Beatnik - Jul 5, 2008

156 by Lethal_Rabbit »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.