Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2011 8:51 AM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So far, it felt like a mix of Bakamonogatari (background) and Hidamark Sketch (characters), and even Zetsubo-sensei-style expression later. The direction of overall animation is very distinctively Shinbo Akiyuki style.

The atmosphere felt much DARKER than I expected, especially with Homura Akemi. Her personality seemed like a Senjougahara-clone.. -_-;; (No wonder they're both voiced by Saito Chiwa)

Now, I'm really looking forward for the 2nd episode. >_<

P.S: Hmm, it's like there's already a spin-off manga Kazumi Magica coming out on January 24th..

Jan 6, 2011 8:53 AM

Apr 2009
What the hell did I just watch.
Jan 6, 2011 8:55 AM

Jan 2008
awesome crazy psychedelic shit
Jan 6, 2011 8:58 AM

Jan 2010
Unlimited musket works out of nowhere.

Incredible first episode..absolutely incredible.
Ok™
Jan 6, 2011 9:09 AM

Dec 2007
First half was sooo similar to the first episode of Nanoha, just, way better. I mean, how awesome was the dream sequence? And it just continued to be that awesome all the way to the end culminating in Tomoe's badass entrance.

Also, the soundtrack was fantastic, as expected.
yakisobapanJan 6, 2011 9:52 AM
Jan 6, 2011 9:24 AM

Aug 2009
Great first episode, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the next episode to this turns out.

Interesting choice of music, but I would expect nothing less from Yuki Kajiura.

To be honest, some of the really unique visual flair to this episode is also how Shinbo cuts costs with animation. While I don't like how Shaft is being cheap with animation, what they did really adds a very distinct surreal, mysterious feeling to this episode, which is a great idea in my opinion. Whatever gets the job done, eh?

Darker-themed mahou shoujo should be rather interesting, and considering the animation studio is Shaft, anything could happen. I'm certainly looking forward to next week's episode.

This episode's artwork:

Screenshots:

Kuro4735Jan 6, 2011 4:55 PM

Jan 6, 2011 9:57 AM

Nov 2007
Wow, beginning with Kalafina's song used for ED, Magia (at battle/dream)!

Kajiura-san's variety of style of music can be seen here. Even "storia" style.

Seems like this magical girl doesn't have obvious transformation/change much.
tsubasaloverJan 6, 2011 10:15 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 6, 2011 10:08 AM

May 2009
Ok, so Magia is completely epic.
Jan 6, 2011 10:30 AM
Feb 2008
Awesome music.
Awesome visuals.
Interesting, yet little cliche story and characters.
Lets hope they will keep up.
Jan 6, 2011 10:51 AM

Aug 2009
That was amazing. Simply amazing.

It started out so nice and happy and then it just went balls-out insane. Then UNLIMITED MUSKET WORKS and I knew we had a freaking winner.
Jan 6, 2011 11:06 AM

Nov 2008
70's LSD trip much

Very abstract and surreal (this would make Salvador Dali proud if he were alive to see this)

Epic episode

Mami is class incarnate, even her transformation is classy and takes advantage of the abstract and surreal environment and I like her Musket as well, it's totally badass. She's a potential favorite for this season. I expect a lot from her in future episodes.

5/5

Jan 6, 2011 1:00 PM
Jun 2008
Ayase!! you should come and watch this !!

oh ..the toilet/washroom is BIG and something caught my attention

ohh..one of the character in this Anime remind me of Hitagi but the face is square...or maybe its rectangular...I think its more like pentagon?? lol..anyway,the the art of the whole Anime remind me of Hidamari (^o^)

I guess this Anime give me a wtf feeling like the first time I watch sailor moon...well I guess all mahou shoujo give me a wtf moment, so I guess this is no exception. 5/5
Jan 6, 2011 1:30 PM

Apr 2008
Only seen screen-shots of the episode but dude! UNLIMITED MUSKET WORKS!

Pretty sold just by that.
Jan 6, 2011 1:48 PM

Oct 2010
wow simply wow. finally a really enjoyable shaft serie again.
1st look hidamar? 2nd look nannoha parody? 3rd look awesome
after nanoha there arent his much good mahou shoujo anime which could top it, but this looks pretty promising.
hope for more <3
Jan 6, 2011 2:59 PM
Sep 2010
Very impressed with the visuals, especially at the beginning, even with the low-res version I have. Can't wait to see this in all of it's glory in hi-res. Shaft never fails to deliver as far as visuals are concerned.

Got a very Bakemonogatari vibe at the beginning, as far as setting and background work goes. Also cause Chiwa Saito's voicing Homura...

I'll definitely be looking forward to this every week. I'm liking the darker twist Shaft's pulling on the mahou shoujo genre.
Jan 6, 2011 3:05 PM
Apr 2007
KazeKon said:
Very impressed with the visuals, especially at the beginning, even with the low-res version I have. Can't wait to see this in all of it's glory in hi-res. Shaft never fails to deliver as far as visuals are concerned.

Got a very Bakemonogatari vibe at the beginning, as far as setting and background work goes. Also cause Chiwa Saito's voicing Homura...

I'll definitely be looking forward to this every week. I'm liking the darker twist Shaft's pulling on the mahou shoujo genre.

It also gives a "Negima!" feeling as well in my opinion.
Jan 6, 2011 3:19 PM
Jul 2009
Miya_F_Exia said:
Ok, so Magia is completely epic.

HELL YEAH!
First few second was omg cool cool!!!@@!#$$!
xxx
Jan 6, 2011 3:27 PM

Feb 2010
Wow... that was awesome. o.o
Can't wait until the 2nd episode!
Jan 6, 2011 3:44 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, that was incredibly boring.

I'll give it one more ep before deciding to drop or not.
Jan 6, 2011 3:45 PM

Jun 2009
that was awesome..i love the darker feel to it

music is epic

Unlimited Musket Works indeed.....Epic!
Jan 6, 2011 3:53 PM
May 2010
This is going to be the greatest Mahou Shoujo of all time. My god, I love Shaft.

Going to be rewatching the first episode again in HD in a bit....
Jan 6, 2011 4:00 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
With the art and the story I had seen at the ad , I thought it'd be more simple but it definitely gave a Shaft feeling with good graphics and pretty dark start . I'm glad I decided to pick this up ^-^
Jan 6, 2011 4:01 PM

Aug 2007
That was fun. I want to see what happens next, though.
Usotsuki. 
Jan 6, 2011 4:14 PM

May 2009
I waited for the subs to watch the episode. It looks promising, music is Kajiura (although they may mess this up, as directors tend to use her songs in an inappropriate manner quite often), character design is terrible but I can bear with it. What I thought odd was the animation regarding the characters. Somestimes their heads simply are bigger than they should be. Also, Senjougahara-chan bothered me quite a bit. A transfer student that is mysterious and good at everything? Meh.
Jan 6, 2011 4:27 PM

Apr 2010
I am amazed by this the only thing i was thinking at the end of this episode is, i want more.
A really nice start.

And the art it looked like canyons where used in the characters yet most seemed to be done with pencils and computer.
The action scene near the end was breath taking.
The only thing i can complain about was that bathroom at the start, my inner designer was horrified by it.

The story looked nice i hope this Anime keeps this up.
Jan 6, 2011 4:31 PM

Apr 2010
I was led to deception by the cover. I didn't expect that from a magical girl anime. I expected fluffy lolis and moe girls flying around. But I got a darker version of Bakemonogatari with magical girls tied into the plot.

I'm going to keep watching this.

Jan 6, 2011 4:39 PM

Dec 2010
My interest has certainly been piqued by the opening episode. Obviously the visuals were going to be excellent, but we'll have to see where the story goes now.
Jan 6, 2011 4:51 PM

Jul 2010
This was actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Loved the beginning "dream." It piqued my interest. Also, YUKI KAJIURA! The music is probably what made that opening seem amazing to me. I'll admit the weird psychedelic visuals were also kind of cool. I'll keep watching this for a while.

So does this show remind anyone else of Pandora Hearts? The music, the visuals, the contract deal, the weird dream sequence... it all reminded me of Pandora Hearts.

Black haired girl, Akane, is my favorite so far.
Jan 6, 2011 5:08 PM

Sep 2008
I found the settings/ backgrounds very nice.
High glass walls and fancy desks in their school? And Madoka's house looks great too.
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Jan 6, 2011 5:13 PM
Feb 2010
Wow, the cover and description is totally misleading. I almost overlooked this but i'm glad i didn't cause it looks pretty epic. It amazes me how shaft can make a Mahou Shoujo Anime into something so interesting, Soundtrack gave a nice dark vibe and the Artwork was interesting too. Looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 6, 2011 5:21 PM

Oct 2009
Loved it! Staying for the whole ride!
Jan 6, 2011 5:51 PM

Feb 2010
Wow, I didn't expect it to be that dark. I loved the abstract art in this dream/illusion world and the music made it even better.

SO FKN EPIC!!!
Jan 6, 2011 5:57 PM

Apr 2008
Miya_F_Exia said:
Iilia said:

So does this show remind anyone else of Pandora Hearts? The music, the visuals, the contract deal, the weird dream sequence... it all reminded me of Pandora Hearts.

Same here.

Thats a interesting comparison now that you brought it up.
Jan 6, 2011 6:03 PM

Mar 2010
I wasn't sure about this series because of all typical mahou shoujo animes but when I saw that Aoki Ume was designing characters I had to watch it. Now, after watching first episode, I can tell that I'm really surprised how great it is. So dark and psychodelic. I hope next episodes will go even better.
I'm waiting impatiently for the next week ;]
Jan 6, 2011 6:09 PM

Nov 2007
Totally different then most mahou shoujo animes...
Jan 6, 2011 6:16 PM

Dec 2007
The first half of the episode was boring and the second half was a convoluted mess.

Kajiura's music was just as awesome as I had hoped for though.

Hopefully it gets less convoluted and less boring next episode.
Jan 6, 2011 6:30 PM

Jul 2010
That ending animation sequence was crack-tastic.

Did those puff balls have Pringles moustaches or was it just me?

Tons of magical girl cliches (pretty much all of them really) on display, but it was surprisingly good to me.
Jan 6, 2011 6:34 PM

Dec 2009
Was a little iffy, but this actually looks good and interesting. Looking forward to the next ep.

Jan 6, 2011 6:35 PM

Jan 2010
I was expecting this anime to be more of the lines of cutesy, but the bakemongatari vibe I got is what I did not expected. I like this weird dark twist on a magic girl. I will be watching this more.
Jan 6, 2011 6:36 PM

Jan 2010
Okay, after watching it again with subs and on my HDTV I have to say this was incredible.

Definitely see the darkness that Urobuchi Gen does so well and the trippy magical world is a great pairing with Shaft's abstract style. I haven't been this excited for a new episode of something in ages. I have to say this is one of the best first episodes I've seen in a long time. Absolutely incredible. 5/5 definitely.
Ok™
Jan 6, 2011 6:45 PM

Aug 2008
It was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, though I wouldn't call it good yet either. The mixing of the styles was interesting, but it also felt disjointed. If a better studio than SHAFT were doing this it might have actually turned out to be good...

For the first time in over a year, I have no idea what rating to start this series out as...
Jan 6, 2011 6:47 PM

Dec 2007
Instant 10 out of 10.
Jan 6, 2011 6:56 PM

Jan 2009
Well, it's all good, music and stuff. But... DAT FACES
I mean what the hell they are like footballs. It just friggin makes me want to switch the aspect ratio to 4x3.
Aside from unpleasant faces, it was rather cool though.
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.
Jan 6, 2011 7:13 PM

Mar 2008
I'm impressed~ <3
Jan 6, 2011 7:21 PM

May 2009
"This show is about little girls being attacked by ZSZ's opening" - lol, so true! :D The first episode bored me to hell though, a little disappointing, but it does have some potential, so I'm kinda looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 6, 2011 7:23 PM

Apr 2010
Wow- cliche, yet unique at the same time
I haven't seen a mahou shoujo show ever since I saw cardcaptors and sailor moon back when I was a kid, so i was kind of skeptical when I started watching this.

I definitely don't regret it. The animation quality was jaw-dropping.

Also, could someone explain to me what Unlimited Musket Works means? o.O
Jan 6, 2011 7:26 PM

Oct 2009
I love you SHAFT, I love you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2011 7:33 PM

Aug 2009
aznkirby890 said:

Also, could someone explain to me what Unlimited Musket Works means? o.O

It's a reference to Archer's attack Unlimited Blade Works in Fate/Stay Night where a bunch of swords are summoned.
Jan 6, 2011 7:48 PM

Sep 2007
Very interesting start. Plenty of SHAFT in this show but done in a much more creative way than something like Vampire Bund. How this show's budget is going to be several episodes later though...
Jan 6, 2011 7:53 PM

Apr 2008
I have no idea what just happened, but this show now has my full attention. This episode repilcated almost blow-for-blow my reaction to Star Driver's first episode last season. Of course, Star Driver then proceeded to do the same thing every episode until I got bored and gave up on it, so hopefully SHAFT can actually push the show forward from here while keeping the same level of quality.

Also, I really like the way they colored Madoka's face.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.