Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 8, 2015 6:54 AM

May 2014
The awesome thing about Rainbow is that you get to see how the characters grow up from young 'delinquents' that entered the reform school with bitterness and angst into mature adults with a sense of loyalty and strength of character due to An-chan's influence.

I enjoyed watching the second half of the anime (post-reformatory) more than the first half. The first half was amazing but a bit too traumatising for me to stomach. However, the trauma was purposeful because it formed a part of the foundation upon which their strong bonds were formed.

I really liked the episodes that featured Turtle and Lilly's story. How Turtle mistakenly scolded Mr Sugi for being an old pervert and the communication breakdown between Mario and Jeffrey due to language barriers was just hilarious.

I have to say that Mario, Turtle and Sakuragi impacted me the most throughout the series due to their loyalty and self-sacrifice. The other characters were all very interesting but I felt that these three were the most commendable. Mario wasn't just a copy of Sakuragi or someone who did not have his own goals or thoughts. I feel that you don't have to be seeking out something for yourself in order to be a unique individual. The ability to remain utterly committed and loyal to a person/ people is also a unique character trait that not many people have. He was that kind of person who always thought about the people around him first.

Overall, it's an anime that, if you don't mind going through the darkness together with the characters in the front part, would end off on a very positive and encouraging note. The same way that there must always be rain before a beautiful rainbow can be formed.
Nov 28, 2015 3:32 AM
Jun 2013
I'm really disappointed. Why Soldier's and Cabbage's story isn't told? All we "know" about it is what we can see from the opening. I was soo curious about their story and that scar under Soldier's left eye.
Apart from that (but that is a BIG part) I really enjoyed and liked this anime. But they need to tell their background story!!
mirai742Nov 28, 2015 3:37 AM
Nov 28, 2015 3:34 AM

Oct 2014
mirai742 said:
I'm really disappointed. Why Soldier's and Cabbage's story isn't told? All we "know" about it is what we can see from the opening.
Apart from that (but that is a BIG part)

Yeah you have to read the manga for their story. But the translation is fucking slow
Nov 28, 2015 3:40 AM
Jun 2013
Cnon said:
mirai742 said:
I'm really disappointed. Why Soldier's and Cabbage's story isn't told? All we "know" about it is what we can see from the opening.
Apart from that (but that is a BIG part)

Yeah you have to read the manga for their story. But the translation is fucking slow

It's explained in manga? THANKS GOD! I was just about to continue reading manga now that I've finished anime. Should I continue where anime ended or read it from the start?
Jan 11, 2016 1:36 AM

Feb 2013
awesome anime, added to my favourites ^^
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Jan 18, 2016 7:53 PM

Jan 2010
One of the best series i ever watched :) 9.5/10 rounded to 9/10

great characters, good OST and animation, and an incredible story.
A big thanks for the creators for making such a great anime!
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Feb 17, 2016 3:30 AM
Jul 2018
I enjoyed this show quite a bit and I think they wrapped things up pretty well. There were a few points I didn't care for, like the over the top bad guys, the tendency to play up the drama, and the recycled story type to wrap up each characters story. Even with a few flaws I think it's a solid 8 kind of show. Definitely worth the time.

Setsuko and Solider got forgotten, heck Mario didn't even mention Setsuko in the final episode, would have been nice to see her happy even if just for a moment.
Mar 19, 2016 9:02 AM
Jul 2018
Finally completed it! Beautiful ending, everyone found it's place. One of my favourites! 10/10 ~
Mar 27, 2016 1:01 PM

Aug 2014
Ah man, what an ending, amazing.

I was hoping that Heitai gets a decent short arc as well, but it was still very, very enjoyable.

This show brought the nakama level beyond my imagination, waow.

The prison arc looked and felt original compared to most SoL anime, I could never anticipate what to expect in the next episode.

I was thrilled during the prison break, Anchan's death and his legacy absolutely gave me the Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann vibes, in a good way.

As far as the small arcs are concerned, they were just perfect imo. As I said before, it could've been perfect if they showed how Heitai got into the reformatory and some more detailed episodes about him. Also, how could Cabbage end up in the reformatory as well? We could only see a glimpse of his past in the opening.

What is life without happiness? 10/10
Jun 4, 2016 10:24 PM

Jan 2016
PotatoFlare said:
Ah man, what an ending, amazing.

I was hoping that Heitai gets a decent short arc as well, but it was still very, very enjoyable.

I also wait for Soldier Arc.

The ending was great, feel chills when sounds the op in Mario's fight :)

/

También me quedé esperando el arco de Soldier. El capítulo final fué grandioso, me sentí escalofríos al escuchar el opening en la lucha de Mario :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2016 10:29 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
A fairly irregular series. They have also supercharged atmosphere, dramatizing too, although the issue of post war who wanted to reflect was very, very hard. In the end it was good, but expected much more. 7/10.

--
Una serie bastante irregular. Además han sobrealimentado la atmosfera, dramatizando demasiado, aunque el tema de post guerra que han querido reflejar ha sido muy, pero que muy duro. Al final ha estado bien, aunque esperaba mucho más. 7/10.
Aug 27, 2016 11:36 AM

Apr 2009
Well done MADHOUSE!
The first half was awesome while the second half kinda went downhill but continued with a solid ending.

10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2016 5:14 PM

May 2014
Amazing anime! Made me realize how much you can do despite how destitute your position is.
9/10
Nov 19, 2016 9:19 AM

Oct 2016
Happy ending at last. An-chan must be proud of them all. *sobs*
Jan 25, 2017 5:06 AM

Feb 2013
Mario is going to make An-chan's dream true!
It was great to see An-chan's mother.
Feb 3, 2017 10:54 AM

Apr 2015
That was a real pleasant ride. The lines were cheesy and had predictable story-line but the characters really grow on you. And it's nice to watch something like this after a while.

Solid 8/10 from me
Feb 14, 2017 10:20 AM

May 2016
Wow awesome episode loved every episode, I'm so glad to hear An-chan's voice again, 10/10
Feb 24, 2017 4:08 AM

Oct 2015
This was the best anime i have watched in my life and i am going to add it to my favorite. Everything about it was beyond superb and the plot oh my god it was out of this world. I dont repeat anime but this is an exception deserving an award. Who ever wrote this anime is my hero because it almost brought me to tears. Oh how i wish i had friends like that, those six guys were a family because of one guy.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 10, 2017 8:34 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A bit cheesy and melodramatic at times, but there's so few series that dare deal with the aftermath of WW2 in Japan and the despair and destitution it produced, that on the strength of that alone I can recommend it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 17, 2017 2:19 PM

Sep 2015
Very masterpiece worthy of an anime. Shows legit awesome friendship and bonds, too bad Soldier never got an arc of his own ;-;
Gonna give this a 10/10 and dam really does feel good. Anyone who dares to not watch this because its based off of the 1950s or isnt dubbed is really gonna be missing a heck of a series.
May 5, 2017 3:16 AM

May 2013
Jeeze. People either had sagelike wisdom or were degenerate rapists. Was a very enjoyable ride nonetheless.
Aug 17, 2017 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
What a show it was! I remember the very first episode teared me up for the whole minute. And first half was incredible and I can't forget the face of those villains how they were part of the story. Glad their punishment has been taken on a right way.
Although the second half was not incredible and had flawed but I think it was neccessary build-up and good connection with the story flow while making a decent finale episode that worth remembering. I do wished we could have gotten at least one episode with Solider's character development instead of a recap episode.

I don't want to address flaw for this show because every show has its flaw somewhere around. I am really glad to watch this show and teared up countless times. Sadly its underrated and not a show for everyone I suppose.

Could had rated 8/10 if I address the flaw but I generally try to ignore when watching something like this show. So 8 ->10/10 because I am feeling good watching this and nevertheless this show gave me some idea how 1950s setting in a most compelling way.

Sep 7, 2017 3:57 PM

Jan 2013
I really wanted a Soldier backstory; he seemed the most stable one of the six.

R.I.P Anchan tho

8/10 for the series.
Oct 12, 2017 12:24 AM
Jan 2015
good ending
Turtle's dream was hilarious
I never really like anime that show deep friendship , but this one was exception
it was getting dull at some episode , but still okay
my favourite was Megu and Jeffrey beside an-chan
hope to see more of them , I guess I will read the manga

7.5/10
Feb 26, 2018 1:01 AM

Dec 2014
well a great show ..each episode was so heartfelt and the development of characters was so fulfilling to watch. I am amazed how the director took the show…still bumped how anchan was killed like that but the ending in itself was pretty much satisfying…the first part of the show was the main star point that GOT ME WATCHING AND I REALLY LIKED how they explained he life in general is very difficult .. Gonna miss this show

Oct 26, 2018 5:28 PM
Dec 2014
7 to me would be higher if the characters was less stupid.
Nov 27, 2018 12:52 PM

Sep 2011
I loved to see Mario meeting Sakuragi's mother, she is all alone after losing all of her family, but if his precious friends would care for her, and keep her company from time to time, then I'm sure that he would be able to truly rest in peace. Leaving her behind by herself is the only thing that could've weighted his heart down since Hagino's death was avenged, even though he pretty much let go of his desire for justice in the end.

I also loved to see them all going together to the hospital after Mario told them about the surgery, but their Bro's teaching of taking any chance because they have 'nothing' to lose doesn't work anymore, if it failed it would affect his daily life, it was too risky, but since he is the main character it wouldn't end like this. He doesn't even like boxing too, well maybe, but he is pursuing it to fulfill Sakuragi's dream, which would in turn fulfill his own.

What can I say? This was an unforgettable experience, pretty unique too, it's just, it doesn't feel like the end at all, it's just a pity that there isn't more animated. There are some things that are hard to accept too, like the way Sakuragi died, it was really stupid. Uncovered being a jerk at first, and then later on again, being the only one who trampled over his friends made him hard to like too, and also Soldier was criminally underused, I would've loved to see more of him. And this is a given, but it's a pity that I can't see the true end to their fight, I wanted to see them happy, especially Joe and Meg. I guess I'll just have to read the manga sometime.
Jan 26, 2019 9:20 AM

Oct 2013
I enjoyed the first half of the series more, as most seem to echo, but I also feel the second half of this series was integral to developing the characters (Mario was basically meaningless before he picked up boxing) and painting how their lives were impacted by their time in juvi-prison. In that sense, I don't feel comfortable rating this lower on account of not enjoying the second half quite as much...

At any rate, it was a really good show. It's super melodramatic, but in a sense I can appreciate. The themes were largely heavy enough to handle the melodrama, unlike the common school shit that gets hyped (looking at you, Sora Yori...).

There was a heavy void created when Anchan was killed, and this episode made me miss him more than I have since episode 14. Rainbow Jesus was the best.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 24, 2019 2:13 PM

Mar 2017
10/10 anime.
The last episode was a feeltrain!
Apr 4, 2019 12:51 PM

Nov 2016
Pretty nice conclusion and damn it's depressing that Sakuragi isn't around :(

Great series overall, even tho it also had it fair share of issues, like some weaker episodes in the middle, forced actions or stupid decisions at times which lead to some overplayed drama. Usually I don't mind that, but imo very unfitting for a series with such a grim tone and serious themes.

The potenial to become an all time favorite was there if it weren't for those points I've mentioned. That said, there was still one scene where I teared up a bit and others where I was close.

Other aspects like characterization, character development, music or atmosphere in general were handled very well and I had a lot of fun watching.

Not quite an 8 but 7,5/10 for me.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 13, 2019 8:30 AM
Jan 2017

The ending is very good im crying at the last moment when mario meet anchan,, this is the best ending for everyone,, after they throught the hard way,, every sadness and pain they passed im very happy with they can fullfil their dream,, this ending is very awesome..
Aug 31, 2019 5:53 PM

Sep 2012
Pretty overrated in my opinion. While I really enjoyed the first half, the second was pretty boring for me, it felt more like a slice of life anime. Still, a 7/10 from me, would probably watch again (the first half)
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Oct 3, 2019 12:58 PM

Jan 2016
Glad to see Mario boxing again.

Happy his hand got fixed.
Dec 11, 2019 10:43 AM

Sep 2019
I really enjoyed the show one of my favorites. I can say this is the first anime I've seen where the plot based on jail break type of scenario. Well I know the motive of this was the bond of friendship love for each other that those seven had.

8/10
Jan 31, 2020 5:40 PM

Jan 2015
Damn what a beautiful anime.
Solid 8/10
Feb 23, 2020 12:03 AM

Apr 2019
I loved the second half of the series. As for the finale, it was already amazing! Now I want to see what happens in the manga, that being said the story as it is feels complete enough to make me feel as ease for them and everything they have been through.

Apr 5, 2020 7:31 PM

Mar 2020
Show went down the fuckin toilet after episode 9.
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Apr 11, 2020 6:16 AM

Mar 2017
This anime is the very definition of "BROMANCE!" at the highest level.
Although I feel Soldier was the only one who lacked an arc. Even Cabbage got one, but Soldier? nah we will just make him be a soldier and thats it lol

Apr 25, 2020 11:14 AM

Feb 2019
Mario finally got his right hand working and got to box. Really liked the scene with him and sakuragi mother. Really good conclusion for mario.
Nice Punch!

Cabbage became anime big show lol

First cour of this show was definitely better than the 2nd cour but still mario and noboru were great in latter one and they took after bro the most, turtle with his kindness and mario overall.

Really liked this scene. It was heartwarming and beautiful.
May 16, 2020 8:56 AM

Mar 2017
guidodi said:
Hydropanic said:
This anime is the very definition of "BROMANCE!" at the highest level.
Although I feel Soldier was the only one who lacked an arc. Even Cabbage got one, but Soldier? nah we will just make him be a soldier and thats it lol

The anime covers less than half of the manga, anime ends around chapter 103 and Soldier's arc starts in chapter 104...

That's unfortunate RIP, really wanted to see more of him but seems like he only played a huge part during the prison arcs

Aug 10, 2020 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
The very best show for men to shed some manly tears.
Aug 24, 2020 12:42 AM

Jan 2019
This is a pretty good show, sadly no soldier arc.

I can't deny that is far from perfect and it does have some overused cliches. Still, for me it was very enjoyable, so 9/10.
Aug 24, 2020 9:46 AM
Apr 2019
best friendship anime I have ever watch
Oct 11, 2020 9:36 AM

Jan 2010
Gotten really hype when Mario was fighting and music started playing. Second half of the season felt kinda slow at some moments, but still solid anime. 8/10
Dec 30, 2020 7:07 PM

Nov 2012
This show was good, especially when focused on brotherhood, camaraderie and the guy's bonds but outside of that it had some massive issues.

The characters are constantly making irrational/illogical decisions. And pretty much all of the drama in the second half after Sakuragi died felt heavy handed, fabricated and forced af.

Irrational/Illogical decisions:

The show is still good and a 7/10 imo, but damn considering what the second half had to offer, this was better off ending on ep 14 which felt like a much better finale.
Feb 4, 2021 12:04 AM
Jul 2010
One of the all time best series.
May 12, 2021 8:30 PM

Aug 2018
Decent anime. really shitty characters though.
Got worse after Anchan died.

Jul 10, 2021 7:47 AM

May 2020
VongolaXEspada said:
One of the all time best series.

i think u need to watch better anime mate lol
Oct 3, 2021 4:04 PM

Jul 2010
Someone had said this show gets better after 13th episode, and they were not lying. Honestly speaking, this show was a lot different than what I expected. It was far from perfect. It was definitely not realistic. Characters were either comically evil, or comically good. But when it was real, it was real. For me all of their character arcs were deeply relatable, especially Baremoto's. Also I have a thing for historical setting.

I think I will read the manga now. I hope to see Soldier's arc and what Mario does.
Oct 14, 2021 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
This anime was fun to watch, had way more potential than this though.
Regardless, the finale was good.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jakeki - May 11, 2010

132 by phantom346 »»
Apr 24, 9:46 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - May 5, 2010

151 by phantom346 »»
Apr 24, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DrRoboto - Jul 20, 2010

79 by Gabi15 »»
Apr 19, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

shanimebib - Jun 22, 2010

182 by AnimeDownUnder »»
Mar 22, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tomimi - Jul 6, 2010

111 by prozyne »»
Mar 4, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.