Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2010 9:09 PM

May 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Man, this was a great shonen manga, the last two JoJo's Bizarre Adventure were alright, but this one takes all the glory. I was skeptical at first about trowing out the "ripple" and replacing it with "stand", but thanks to that we got to see a lot of unique and interesting fights. 8/10 Awesome series.
Apr 8, 2011 12:06 PM

Apr 2009
When I first started reading this part years ago, I was disappointed by this too, even to the point of losing interest. Surprisingly, it got much better by the latter half. Great manga, although for me it can't beat the crystallized epicness of the first two parts.

PS: did I said Jotaro is a master troll? Well, Joseph just shows that you can't top Grandpa Troll!
Aug 18, 2011 4:43 PM

Aug 2011
This part 3 is considered to be the most successful one, with Jotaro the most popular character.
Oct 26, 2012 2:58 AM

Apr 2009
Just reread this part while listening to the respective songs for each stand.

Still one of the best Shounen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI-kHl8pvZ0
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Dec 19, 2012 10:04 AM

Feb 2008
Not really sure what I'm thinking about this. I liked the good guys, the battles were creative and so were the stands. But one thing was bad. The story. Basically, they are going to the west and kicking random villain of the volume's ass. The only villain who had more screentime was Hol Horse. Everyone else was pretty much random villain. Even Dio was lack luster. He only appeared at the end for one long battle.

Who knows, maybe I expected too much. Also I don't know how people who haven't read the first two parts ended up liking this part (only this part reached the west if I'm not wrong). Many people love Dio, but looking at Dio only in this part, he wasn't really impressive. He was only great because we know him from Part 1.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 12, 2013 4:09 AM
Jan 2010
People like this because it has a japanese protagonist and the story begins in japan. That's it. The japs are extremely racist like that.

It wasn't bad per se, but I really got the feeling of "villain of the week" from all of those fights. Jotaro is a terrible protagonist and it seemed like he was only there to occasionally shout ORAORAORA and kill Dio in the end while the rest of the gang nabbed the spotlight for the rest of the series. Can't say I'm looking forward to this getting animated too much. Battle Tendency was much better.
Mar 2, 2013 12:39 AM
Jun 2010
wailofthebanshee said:
People like this because it has a japanese protagonist and the story begins in japan. That's it. The japs are extremely racist like that.

Nope. Part 5 is extremely popular in Japan too, and it takes place in Italy and has an Italian protagonist.
Mar 17, 2013 1:05 AM

Jun 2009
Personally I think this was where Jojo's Bizarre Adventure really took off. Yeah, it was battle of the week and all but, seriously with the diversity of the Stands it didn't really matter at all to me. Jotaro was cool as fuck too and probably ranks as my favorite protagonist of the series so far. This final battle was incredible as well.

Looking forward to seeing this animated, I can't even begin to say how much more I liked this than the first two parts.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 5, 2013 9:25 PM

Jul 2010
I found it inferior to Battle Tendency, but still pretty damn good. Jotaro is my favorite character in SC so far. The villains were 'meh', a part The Gambler/The Gamer/Dio and someone else that i'm surely forgetting.

Also, can't wait to seeing this animated.
Feb 9, 2014 11:46 PM

Nov 2011
Awesome, Holly is healthy with Dio's death. And everything seemed like it worked well. That was awesome and incredible adventure with all the main characters.

I lost track how many Stand users there were in the series though...but it was still a fun ride.

9/10.
May 7, 2014 10:56 AM

Sep 2013
Really awesome series, the stands were creative, the battles were awesome, it had some mind game parts with the D'arby brothers, and the fight with Dio was great.
May 23, 2014 9:10 PM

Jan 2013
This chapter is the end? meh It could be better

But I'm feeling refreshed after reading because there's nearly 1 volume per fight.
Nowadays, people just want to see fast fights in battle shounens and I think this is complety absurd. The fights don't satisfy me anymore.

I'm hoping that the next parts are better and better.
Jun 6, 2014 6:10 PM

Jan 2010
I wish Araki had ended it with more of an epilogue, but eh what can you do. Amazing series!
Jun 8, 2014 5:57 PM

Jul 2013
That was a really fun read. Dio's fight and some of the others in Egypt were awesome. Looking forward for that to get animated.

Joseph surviving like that was a bit too ridiculous for me but I think I can roll with it. Better than surviving a semi-meteor crash.
Jun 26, 2014 11:16 AM

Feb 2012
Akanezora said:
I found it inferior to Battle Tendency.

It's probably because I watched the 2012 JoJo anime first, but I also found SC to be not as good. I want more build up and emotional impact around each battle. It seems like Araki went more with quantity rather than quality on this one (albeit it was still a good arc).
Nov 25, 2014 12:57 PM

Apr 2014
SuperLlama said:
wailofthebanshee said:

Nope. Part 5 is extremely popular in Japan too, and it takes place in Italy and has an Italian protagonist.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Dec 20, 2014 11:19 PM
Aug 2011
God I love this entire franchise.

Some villains were indeed meh (+ repetitive formula didn't help) and some parts are ridiculous beyond belief (I have to remind myself that JoJo manga knows no bounds!) this is still so damn entertaining as a whole.

Dio is someone that I will enjoy far more in the anime because hearing Koyasu shouting muda muda muda muda muda and well... shouting everything else is so amazing. <3

I will have to go back and read Battle Tendency because I really miss young Joseph.
Jan 13, 2015 1:43 AM

Apr 2012
The fight with Dio was so great. Still sad that Iggy, Abdul, and Kakyoin were lost in this journey. I have to say, I didn't get care for the "monster of the week" aspect of Stardust Crusaders but the amazing character chemistry and the great battle scenes easily override that complaint for me. Looking forward to reading rest of the parts. I can't wait to see the Dio's World chapters animated.
Jan 27, 2015 4:39 AM
Jan 2015
Joseph made quite a bet with that joke.

Well,well,well, if this is't an good series I don't know what is not.

I do understand it lacked an actual plot, with actually just one objective (kill or protect Dio) holding protagonists and antagonists together, but I think the fights make up for that.

Still, it lacked an "flame". Let me explain, the "flame" is something unique or interesting about a work that make him singular in my POV. For that, Stardust Crusaders don't have it. For that, I can't say it's an masterpiece.

Also, all this eighties gore never resonated well with me.
May 1, 2015 2:12 PM

Jun 2014
10/10
Jul 1, 2015 8:32 AM

Aug 2012
Truth be told, I think watching the anime adaption (David Pro's) significantly hurt my read through of Stardust Crusaders. The few chapters near the beginning of the Egypt Arc (from N'Doul to D'Arby the Gambler) were probably my favorite chapters & those are the only ones that I read before seeing the anime. Obviously this doesn't stop the source material from being really entertaining during it's highs, like the fight with Vanilla Ice. David Pro wasn't shining a turd, they were enhancing something generally great but I still felt like I was reading an inferior version. Although ignoring that, the pre-Egypt stuff was pretty hit or miss with plenty of boring or lame fights with few select moments of greatest (Death 13 for example). The quality in the second half of the manga was much stronger. 7/10 in total for me. Really excited for Part 4, will probably start that up soon-ish.
Aug 16, 2016 9:23 PM

Aug 2014
Seems like each part just keeps getting better and better!

Don't know why people didn't like this one so much, I mean yeah the monster of week was pretty tedious, some villains were great while others were meh but everything else from the aesthetics (thank god for no more bad body proportions) fights, characters etc..was a huge step up from part I and II imo.

Jotaro is definitely my favourite JoJo atm.
8/10
Apr 7, 2018 6:04 PM
Mar 2015
A big step-up in both writing, side characters, and abilities. And they also made the previously awesome Joseph even more awesome.
I do prefer the story of Battle tendency though (same goes for the final battle), and the monster of the week formula grew tedious at times.

All in all, I'll say that it's slightly better than Battle Tendency (for vastly different reasons though) and increase my grade for the series from 5 to 6, with great hopes for the future.
crocodileman94Apr 8, 2018 5:53 AM
Sep 16, 2018 10:20 AM

Aug 2013
My favorite part and some of the most fun I've ever had reading manga. The battle with Dio was a sight to behold, and I'm so happy my two favorite characters didn't perish. While I would've maybe liked a bit more finality with the remaining Stardust Crusaders (like the little epilogue narrations at the end of part 2) but since the three of them are seen in further parts, I suppose I don't mind all that much. Overall, this manga was never not entertaining, I had a blast reading this part, and typically had a smile on my face whilst doing so.
Dec 27, 2018 3:34 AM

Feb 2013
And it's over, let's say RIP to Avol, Iggy and Kakyouin again, without them Dio would have won.
But lol, only Joseph would joke in that situation.
Feb 13, 2019 1:54 AM

May 2016
I wonder how Weird Al reacted when he found out that he got a shoutout from Joseph Joestar. Dude just came back from the dead and the first thing he decides to do is to impersonate their greatest enemy after all.

Like all hard-fought victories, it was a given for them to be happy that the goal they all risked their lives for was finally attained but the losses that have occurred on the way prevented them from reaching the point of celebration because all that's left is bittersweet relief that Holly's saved.

Jan 5, 2020 5:38 AM

Feb 2017
Queueing up that Beatles song when Joseph did was a great way to close out this part.

Get back, JoJo!

May 12, 2020 7:40 AM

Jun 2016
A broad look into what Stardust Crusaders means to me
I didn’t cry the entirety of Stardust Crusaders outside one or two tears or watery eyes. The way I saw the deaths were as cool setpieces. The way Abdul got disintegrated was shocking to a degree I never expected to see in a shounen. Kakyoin getting blasted from downtown is brutal and cool and while it all happens, the fighting never stops. It’s rad, some of the raddest deaths I’ve seen, but not emotional. That is, until I began this chapter and the mere freaking mention of Kakyoin’s body being found, and Polnareaff being unconscious made me start sobbing. Jojo has done this twice to me, it’s hit me with emotions I can’t control on a level faster than I can logically understand and I find that beautiful. The other time this happened was when I suddenly found myself crying for Wham, but this was a whole new level. I was sobbing the entire chapter.

In this emotional reaction the entire journey had been contextualized. The way I felt this manga was skippable episodic content sticking to a formula until finally having the freedom to break that formula in the climax has been challenged. In this bittersweet conclusion, upon seeing Dio burn along with the life he has taken and the remaining bros split up and say their goodbyes evoked a strong sense of loss for the fallen comrades we spent so much time with, and a sense of gratefulness for those who made it this far. It was a statement, a representation of our temporal existence. Nothing lasts forever, so we ought to reflect on the journey that felt so episodic. We better appreciate the fun we had, the triumphs we felt, and the friends we made. They could all be gone in an instant as the lack of prolonged grieving scenes and goodbyes masterfully represent, making us appreciate our comrades more when we can. I think the way Stardust Crusaders doesn’t have characters who explode off the page in a way the previous parts did plays into this because no one individual is the point of the text. What we have is the unit, the group, the camaraderie and it evokes a feeling that moves beyond the page in the way a character cannot. It’s the connection that the heroes fought to the bitter end for.

When seeing the story in this light, can I even have an issue with it? The criticisms I thought I held pale in comparison to the strong pay off that was created. It made me feel an appreciation for life and it affected me in a distinct way which manga hasn’t before. It was seriously profound to have all of this pour in through my emotions when I hadn’t even realized it myself. In fact if anything, my criticisms made the ending all the more powerful. There were times that I was somewhat bored. I wanted to rush to the ‘good bits’ and I wanted to see the characters die, I wanted to see the relaxing formula of guys having fun distort. By doing this, I missed the entire point and it took a sobering conclusion to make me realize what I missed. It changes the way I interact with the entire text! It makes me want to make sure I fight to the bitter end and live moment to moment like this story is about. To make the best out of even the hardest of situations and to carry those who fall with me.

Specific Thoughts
To talk more specifically about potential issues I had and their redirection, I’d like to start with stands. Their existence already felt valuable in their creativity and problem solving but they were elusive and each stand of the week had different rulesets. I didn’t care about learning their ins and outs like I did for ripple users, vampires, or pillar men, they were often more like gimmicks to wait until Araki told me how to beat them and then forget about them. However, I realize as later parts will likely have more recurrent villains, this issue will go away. I will likely hang onto every ability and possibility of these powers because they will hold more importance. The issue I brought up before of pacing and formula created a world that was never fully gripping until its peaks but in retrospect that’s the point. We were supposed to enjoy our time with it, not be racing through and dismissing everything that wasn’t crucial. The heroes being less distinct was touched on above in that they formed a coherent sense of camaraderie and a unit which complimented the broader picture. The villains were obviously not that remarkable due to their short standing, I won’t remember many of them at all beyond their powers. Yet, they served their purpose, and some were really effective. Again this is about the connection of friends beyond all else, not deep and intricate villains with motivations! But I will get into Dio later because I adored him.

At first all my critical thoughts made me feel as if my opinion was set in stone when it comes to my favorite Jojo parts. Phantom Blood is one of my favorite manga, and I love reflecting on its characters and ideas. Battle Tendency had some wonderful concepts and it was a blast but it sat in the shadow of Phantom Blood when it came to what I was interested in. What I mean to say is that if I wanted Jojo I’d prefer to read more Phantom Blood rather than reread Battle Tendency. With this in mind, I thought Stardust Crusaders was the part I enjoyed least, however it was unique enough that it was nowhere near the shadow that Phantom Blood left, it was completely its own creation. Because of this, despite enjoying Battle Tendency more consistently, I actually favoured Stardust Crusaders. However, suddenly in one recontextualizing chapter, Stardust Crusaders did something to me even Phantom Blood didn’t do. It imprinted one strong, meaningful and personal point into my dang soul. Looking back, all these issues I had started to dwindle away. Ultimately my point in this paragraph is expressing that no longer do I favour Stardust Crusaders over Battle Tendency because of the shadow left by Phantom Blood, but rather that I prefer it on its own merit and very much appreciate that merit.

I’d like to finish this post by expressing succinctly why Dio sincerely impressed me because the amount of rambling I did in past posts may have been unclear and far more confusing than it had to be. I love this rendition of Dio because, despite burying the inherently human and personal weakness inside of him and making him appear hollow, terrifying, and monstrous rather than tragic, his core is still deeply human. His drive for purpose is something relatable and understandable and it’s no surprise he turned out this way. He is still distinctly human despite playing a different role and being more monstrous than ever. And that is really dang cool.

Currently rating this part a 7/10 or 8/10, we’ll see how it grows over time!
Oct 13, 2020 5:21 PM

Oct 2013
While Part 3's anime adaptation is my least favorite anime from JoJo franchise, I was pretty much skeptical about reading Part 3 manga, although many people encouraged me to do read it, since it fixed a lot of things that I found annoying in Part 3's anime adaptation. And they were right.

Jotaro is really likeable character with his own specific personality (he is not that expressive like Joseph, but he's a good guy); the pacing is way, way better; fights are more interesting and more dynamic.

I'm not saying that Part 3's anime was bad. It was good in its own way, expanding the source material by a lot of things that served their purpose as additional content. I just didn't like it. It was too long, too slow and did not make a good transition from Hamon to Stands. Unlike the manga.

I really liked this manga. Very good one, filled with great action, likeable characters, a lot of humor and bizarre situations. In fact, at least when it comes to JoJo manga, Stardust Crusaders became one of my favorite JoJo mangas. ;-)
Feb 16, 2021 8:14 PM

Jan 2020
An emotional conclusion to a fantastic part. I'll really miss this and I loved it. What a great farewell between Polnareff, Jotaro and Joseph.

"Avdol, Iggy, Kakyoin, it's over" hit hard too

5/5 Conclusion

Mar 1, 2021 3:04 AM

Nov 2019
I love battle shounen like I’m still seven years old, but can’t do anything about it.
I was born in 1991 so this serie has more or less the same age as me, and even though it’s a pretty old manga, I really enjoyed it a lot. Slightly improved from the previous one, but not by much, so I’ll give it a 8/10 too.
Aug 20, 2021 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
Overall, I would say I liked Stardust Crusaders. It was pretty draggy on their journey to Egypt and not all the Stand users were relevant besides being distractions. But the story got really good as they got closer to Egypt and fought the 9 Egyptian God stand users. I also grew to like Jotaro along the way. I didn't like him at first because he came off as the chad, tough guy who always won his battles with badassery. But I liked how I saw more vulnerability with him as the stand users got stronger and how he adapted to the situations accordingly. It was one of the reasons why I didn't like Part 2 and Joseph Joestar as much.
Aug 20, 2021 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
ZetaZaku said:
Not really sure what I'm thinking about this. I liked the good guys, the battles were creative and so were the stands. But one thing was bad. The story. Basically, they are going to the west and kicking random villain of the volume's ass. The only villain who had more screentime was Hol Horse. Everyone else was pretty much random villain. Even Dio was lack luster. He only appeared at the end for one long battle.

Who knows, maybe I expected too much. Also I don't know how people who haven't read the first two parts ended up liking this part (only this part reached the west if I'm not wrong). Many people love Dio, but looking at Dio only in this part, he wasn't really impressive. He was only great because we know him from Part 1.

Yeah. I never understood the hype around Dio. Since his actions towards Jonathan in Phantom Blood, I've hated him as a character XD. I do admit that he makes a good villain though. I didn't know that Stardust Crusaders was the first part of Jojo to get released in the West. But I guess people love this part because of the use of stands and Jotaro's delinquent personality. Most people tend to like the bad boy characters.
Oct 28, 2021 3:40 AM
Apr 2021
Jojo’s 3 really good Shonen and final battle and ending was perfect I give the ending 8.5 or 9 give part 3 8.5/10 I wanted to give 9 but it do got a lot problems but ending is good but still really good part not my favorite but but really good classic
Jan 30, 2022 6:34 AM
Dec 2021
Great ending for a great manga.
Oct 17, 2022 2:36 AM

Jan 2011
After rereading it, I still prefer the anime adaptation. Could always go on about how overrated it is compared to what came before and after, but that's not exactly an unpopular sentiment anymore. And besides, it still has undeniable style.
Jul 9, 2023 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
I liked this manga; it was great. The art felt a bit rough at the beginning, but it got better, and I grew more used to it and ended up liking it quite a bit. Overall, it's a bit repetitive, but it's a shonen done well, and it wasn't afraid to kill off its characters. I liked the characters, and the second half of the Egypt arc was great. 7.5/10
Jul 12, 2023 8:03 PM
Jul 2018
Besto Power level

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders Chapter 103 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2014

8 by Wrathu »»
Feb 6, 10:45 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders Chapter 30 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Dec 6, 2012

8 by Farm-key »»
Oct 22, 2023 2:43 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders Chapter 29 Discussion

ViniSD - Jul 25, 2013

13 by Farm-key »»
Oct 22, 2023 2:34 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders Chapter 14 Discussion

RX-782 - Feb 7, 2013

10 by Farm-key »»
Oct 20, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders Chapter 95 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2014

10 by AragornLannister »»
Oct 5, 2023 8:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.