Forum Settings
Forums

So fellow weebs, How good is your Japanese?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 25, 2022 5:48 PM

Jun 2022
Really bad at it, but I like to pretend I know them.
Dec 25, 2022 5:55 PM

Oct 2022
Watashi wa Nihongo not Daijobu Desu.
Dec 25, 2022 5:56 PM

Mar 2020
I basically know all of the hirigana and katakana and how tsu or shi works. That is it and I am planning to study more into it.
Dec 25, 2022 5:57 PM

Nov 2015
don't have time. tried to it's a lot.

basic and repetitive sentences in anime are understandable. 
Dec 25, 2022 6:19 PM
Feb 2019
Very basic, and beginner proficiency. Improving at a slow pace, but have daily consumption of Japanese for the last 130 days, though the quality of it rather poor.
Dec 25, 2022 6:20 PM
Dec 2022
Reading Japanese is much easier for me due to the fact that I was exposed to Chinese characters when I grew up. However, the grammar is very atrocious for me, a native Chinese and English speaker.
Dec 25, 2022 6:21 PM

Oct 2012
Ore no ninhongo sugoi ja nai desu.

I have no idea. I can piece together short sentences with basic ass vocabulary, possibly even understanding the gist of basic, polite conversation I hear in anime and a few times in real life. And that's just from the muscle memory of reading subs while I watched anime. I can probably read some basic Japanese from having drilled hiragana and katakana, and having a 2nd grade level of Chinese vocabulary. Kanji meanings are often similar to Chinese, and the pronunciations could sometimes be matched to what I know the word to be. So obviously I could not really communicate with anyone with it. I can just be a passive observer...
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 25, 2022 9:40 PM

Apr 2020
ペラペラではないけどまぁ最近日本語字幕付きでアニメ見ているね。気に入るアニメを日本語で再視聴するがおもしろい、別の目で見てるって感じ

Good enough for sol, something like monogatari or lotgh would give me a stroke
rudnamDec 25, 2022 10:01 PM
Dec 25, 2022 9:48 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
I can't read it or speak it, but I understand most conversations in Japanese. I kind of want to learn to at least speak it but it would take forever.
Dec 25, 2022 9:58 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Let’s just say I prefer my anime English subbed but I can make out about 40-50% (and maybe 60% on a good day) without it.

Studying for a bit now and I’m starting to get into JDrama slightly so hopefully that’ll help a bit more, lol. 
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 25, 2022 10:18 PM
Feb 2021
konichiwa. boku no nihongo ga warui
Dec 25, 2022 10:50 PM

Jul 2022
Yare yare daze
Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto
Konnichiwa
Dec 25, 2022 11:07 PM

Feb 2021
I studied Japanese at school for a few years. Sometimes I read and watch Japanese without subs.
Dec 25, 2022 11:22 PM

Oct 2012
rudnam said:
ペラペラではないけどまぁ最近日本語字幕付きでアニメ見ているね。気に入るアニメを日本語で再視聴するがおもしろい、別の目で見てるって感じ

Good enough for sol, something like monogatari or lotgh would give me a stroke
I guess this serves as a good example for Chinese adaption. I have no idea what this says normally, however... I know 最近 is zui4 jin4 (i.e. most recently) in Chinese. I think every weeb knows that the first character also spells 最高 (zui4 gao1, i.e. the best, highest (literally)), or saikou. Therefore, being that the Chinese imported pronunciations are similar, 最近 is saikin.

Next, 日本語 is zi4 ben3 yu3 (i.e. the Japanese language) in Chinese, so obviously nihongo.

Every weeb probably recognizes this iconic katakana アニメ as anime. Next.

見ている , the first character is jian4 (i.e. to see) in Chinese. So obviously in Japanese if we paid attention to the dialogues at all, this is miteiru. Don't even have to learn the kanji specifically.

気 is chi4 (i.e. air, breath) in Chinese, obviously ki, because DBZ.

入る is ru4 (i.e. to enter) in Chinese, iru in Japanese. Similarly, 出 is chu1 (i.e. to exit) in Chinese, so 出る would be deru.

Anyways, I just match the meanings with what anime characters say and I can read a lot of Kanji without ever having learned it.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 25, 2022 11:43 PM

Oct 2020
I know a few words, but that's it.
Don't think i can even form a sentance
Dec 26, 2022 1:23 AM

Jun 2021
@Nemesis95 learn about desu and politeness chain so it easens up the subject!
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Dec 26, 2022 1:41 AM

Nov 2022
Waga wa nihongo no shiranai, uso ja nai.

I wonder if that is grammatically correct.

I can only understand some words and such or say a few things.

I guess I pick words that are often used in anime I watch. Some I later forget, others do not.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Dec 26, 2022 1:58 AM

Jun 2021
I am the shitposter to my fellow Weebs. Did you know that Gilgamesh was a Chrsitian (that's why he's so graceful and wise) and he's rumored to be very well-endowed (50).
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Dec 26, 2022 2:45 AM
Jul 2022
日本の作品を日本語でほとんどのすべて読るほど上手だけど、自分が日本語で喋ろうとすると、各文には文法的な間違いが多い。きっと流暢ではない。

あと、作品のレベル差が良く大きい。今は「絶頂島の姫」を読んでるけど、よくクソ難しいなのに、他の作品は、例えば、Mobile Flowerに出てくるのは、よく読みやすい。

恐らく僕より上手な人はこの文で間違いをたくさん示せるとよく分かる。
reginald11Dec 26, 2022 2:51 AM
Dec 26, 2022 3:18 AM

Jun 2021
Crying In my Nemurenaka. These tears are because I read bieru and I'm a spazz!

Dec 26, 2022 4:30 AM

Jun 2021
Anata wa retardado desu ne? Fakto proxiaru beechu!

Dec 26, 2022 4:36 AM

Mar 2008
Like shit but maybe I could pretend I am just really slow and just say “ ano”  a lot...
Dec 26, 2022 8:04 AM

Jun 2021
Kazu-chan-san said:

Anata wa retardado desu ne? Fakto proxiaru beechu!
Someone deletes their post. Thos os jost an an answer to hir or her or water ever!

Dec 26, 2022 8:53 AM

Jun 2021
Any1 remembrems when

the teiborus have turned! WWII joke!

Dec 26, 2022 12:06 PM

Mar 2022
Used duolingo to learn and now can atleast read words that doesn't have kanji in it
Dec 26, 2022 2:36 PM

Aug 2011
I'm able to pick up words and common sayings but I have nothing close to fluent lol. I like being able to read the subs and sometimes be able to figure out what words I'm familar with
desu desu binches
Dec 26, 2022 3:26 PM
Jun 2021
Meme tier, and that's really it.
Hardly gonna improve unless I choose to leave my undeveloped shit hole of a country and go seek a job in Japan.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Dec 26, 2022 3:52 PM

Oct 2017
I'm still in the early stages. Took 4 semesters so far in college but haven't had much of a chance to work on my skills outside of class. I should prolly find something to do to work on it soon since in June it'll have been a year since I had classes. Kanji is where I really tend to struggle the most to be honest
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Dec 26, 2022 4:04 PM

Feb 2014
Yeah, I'm also using Duolingo, on a 67 days streak, currently 3/4 in that part where you are asked to learn more katakana to be able to continue.
Dec 26, 2022 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't learned in a while, but I was planning on starting back up soon.
Dec 27, 2022 9:54 AM

Aug 2018
私はグーグル翻訳を使ってこの文章を書いています

Dec 27, 2022 10:29 AM

Feb 2016
あの。。。ちょっとだけがわかります。僕の日本語は、上手じゃないですよ。ちょっとまあまあだけです。

I use HeyJapan and Memerise. Though, Memrise is only for vocab and I only use the usermade courses.
Dec 27, 2022 11:13 AM

Dec 2020
Chronon said:
Tried to learn Japanese like 4-5 months ago and did that for one whole month. I learnt only the hiragana and basic grammar. Forgot most of the words.

Duolingo is not that good for grammar.
honestly yeah it's only good for getting started and learning some basic hiragana and katakana, and even then they explain practically nothing, it's way better researched yourself tbh
I like Közi a healthy amount.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This is no joke I'm really going to do it this time.
Dec 27, 2022 11:43 AM

Nov 2020
I studied japanese for three years in high school, when I finished those courses I probably could pass the JLPT N5 test. Now its been 10 years since high school and while I understand spoken japanese on that level, I cannot speak x'D I understand the words, but forget them when I'm using them myself. I also tend to forget the grammar. I can read easy childrens books and follow some manga as long as they have furigana (hiragana at the side of the kanji). Some slice of life anime I can watch without subtitle and understand quite a bit and fill in the blanks through context.  I can write with hiragana/kanji and a few basic kanji, tho I've forgotten most of the kanji I learned, my grammar sucks and I forget which order to put things.  

back in the day when I used to forum roleplay, me and my friend thought it would be a great idea to do a historical japanese roleplay completely in japanese. We did around four to six full sentences per post which took around 1 hour because we had to look up so much words and kanji and translate the other person's post. x'D It was fun but a bit too exhausting, so eventually we stopped. I'm guessing there were many mistakes in our texts since no one actually corrected us and neither of us were fluent in the language, but we had a good time trying at least. 
Dec 27, 2022 11:45 AM

Apr 2018
DoisacChopper said:
why of course it's very sugoi dekai desuyo 
小学生は最高だぜ! (means hello)

もしもしお巡りさん?ここにダメな変態さんがいますよ。早く逮捕してください!
Dec 27, 2022 2:57 PM

May 2018
"How good is your Japanese?"

Jouzu janai, mazui-desu!
Dec 27, 2022 4:12 PM

Feb 2020
Parataxicalis said:
DoisacChopper said:
why of course it's very sugoi dekai desuyo 
小学生は最高だぜ! (means hello)

もしもしお巡りさん?ここにダメな変態さんがいますよ。早く逮捕してください!
に〜げるんだよ〜!スモーキー!

Dec 27, 2022 4:40 PM

Jun 2021
Onore! Kusogyaro no Scheißeposters took over this thread. Maybe I should summon Shirou Emiya to teach you all how to be a man!

Dec 27, 2022 6:37 PM

Jul 2012
reading: 20% (i know most kanji cus it's chinese)
writing: 0%
speaking: 10%
listening: 70%
Dec 27, 2022 7:03 PM

Oct 2015
None existent, but know a couple phrases. It isn't a language that I want to or need to learn.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Dec 27, 2022 7:06 PM

Oct 2022
it's more like. I just understand at the moment what's being spoken, by using a lot of context clues. can't remember most of it in application. 

Dec 27, 2022 7:14 PM

Dec 2018
え-と、日本語がわかりません。すまんない [>、<]

I learned hiragana, katakana, and basic grammar years ago; I also recognize a few phrases and kanji here and there. But my speaking ability is not so great. That's the most I can understand as of now.
Dec 27, 2022 9:56 PM

Jul 2021
I never learned much but i know a few words 

Dec 27, 2022 10:28 PM

May 2020
I can read with some effort, certainly reading manga is quite easy on me as long as it doesn't have an insane amount of jargon, on the JLPT scale I think I'm between N3 and N2 although I have not taken any exams.

Duolingo sucks ass btw, I would not recommend it even for a beginner. You're much better off self studying a textbook series like genki.
AnjuroDec 27, 2022 10:33 PM
Dec 28, 2022 6:23 AM

Oct 2019
i have an anime lvl in japanese lmaoo so i only know how to say hello, my name and some anime words that will be useless if i go to japan 😭
tbh i really wanted to learn japanese but i gave up when i saw all the hiragana, katana, kanji.. so i'm learning korean instead, its easier bahaha, wpp to you guys who are learning all of them ! i really admire you

thanks to my Secret Santa for this set <3
my instagram art acc

Dec 28, 2022 6:33 AM

Feb 2020
-koolkid said:
i have an anime lvl in japanese lmaoo so i only know how to say hello, my name and some anime words that will be useless if i go to japan 😭
tbh i really wanted to learn japanese but i gave up when i saw all the hiragana, katana, kanji.. so i'm learning korean instead, its easier bahaha, wpp to you guys who are learning all of them ! i really admire you
most of the people i've seen have said korean is way harder than japanese
interesting that you'd think it's easier

Dec 28, 2022 6:36 AM

May 2020
-koolkid said:
Not to give unsolicited advice but just for the record you don't have to learn Kanji to learn Japanese, if you only care about watching anime/talking to people you could just work on your listening comprehension (I have a faint memory of a book series that was like that but please do some research if you're interested).
Dec 28, 2022 6:53 AM

Oct 2019
DoisacChopper said:
-koolkid said:

woah seriously ? 😭 i rly thought it was the easiest asian language for everyone since the king who invented it tried to make it simple so that it would be easier for his people to learn it than Chinese but i guess it depends on people

my instagram art acc

Dec 28, 2022 6:55 AM

Oct 2019
Anjuro said:
-koolkid said:
Not to give unsolicited advice but just for the record you don't have to learn Kanji to learn Japanese, if you only care about watching anime/talking to people you could just work on your listening comprehension (I have a faint memory of a book series that was like that but please do some research if you're interested).

npp thxx for the advice rly, i'll give it a try next time and do more research so!

my instagram art acc

Dec 28, 2022 6:57 AM

Feb 2020
-koolkid said:
DoisacChopper said:

woah seriously ? 😭 i rly thought it was the easiest asian language for everyone since the king who invented it tried to make it simple so that it would be easier for his people to learn it than Chinese but i guess it depends on people
No, it depends on the part of the language
the korean alphabet is one of the easiest in the world
now; having a easy alphabet doesnt mean the rest is easy at all.
korean has a lot of honorific language and stuff (im not super informed) but of the people ive seen who studied korean they had a really hard time at it
it could be that the beginner experience into korean is more friendly than beginner into japanese
ive been studying japanese for over 3 months now and it doesnt feel difficult to study at all at this point
the beginning is just a bit of a hurdle
from what people have said; all the intermediate korean stuff is really bullshit

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 40 seconds ago

0 by APolygons2 »»
40 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Yesterday

17 by Serafos »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

44 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
6 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

62 by -YaoiBoy- »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 5 hours ago

14 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.