Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 14, 2022 5:53 AM

Mar 2020
Amazing to see characters from The Tatami Galaxy back! The dialogue and monologues are as fast as I remember. The plot is as ridiculous as ever still, and Ozu is as revolting to watch as ever, but that’s a good thing.

Looks like we have more time travel shenanigans in this series, I wonder if Watashi’s remote can be fixed, with some time travel.
Sep 14, 2022 6:05 AM

Sep 2016
it's really good to see the good old cast back together! their interactions are still fun to watch, and it's great to see they haven't changed. i got a little confused on what happened in the middle, but by the end it kinda made sense i guess. very excited for future episodes :D
Sep 14, 2022 6:56 AM

Jan 2021
Letssss gooo
Tatami Galaxy is back!!! 🐐🐐

Great episode.
Sep 14, 2022 7:30 AM
Jul 2017
I never thought we’d get more of this universe and it’s characters. Takes me back to when I watched Tatami Galaxy all those years ago. I’m gonna enjoy my experience of watching this for the first time 👍
Sep 14, 2022 7:43 AM
Jan 2020
this ain't really a sequel?
Sep 14, 2022 7:59 AM
Oct 2017
A little bit slow to start but I love the eccentricity of it. The narrating is interesting, the animation is vibrant. I haven't seen anything else in this series but I'm looking forward to watching more!
Sep 14, 2022 9:27 AM

Jul 2017
It's been nearly 5 years since I watched Tatami Galaxy so my memory of it was pretty rough but it was good to see the cast back together and the episode itself was a solid return for the series. I should rewatch the original in the next few days to get completely back to speed with the characters in the series but for the most part, had a pretty good time. Shingo Natsume's drawings maybe lacked a little polish at times but for the most part, he did a pretty good job helming this episode and bringing out what Yuasa did with the original Tatami Galaxy visually, here in this new adaptation for the most part. The pace of the monologues and the eccentric characters/animation that I did remember from the original, were definitely present here in spades.

Tatami Galaxy is great so I should expect to have a solid time with this one, even if it's pretty short with the 6 episode run.
Sep 14, 2022 9:50 AM

Jun 2022
It's amazing to see the whole squad back. Even with director change it doesn't matter, we went from amazing director to another amazing director. I'm so happy we are getting more of this series/universe
I'd like to make myself believe that Planet Earth turns slowly
Sep 14, 2022 11:04 AM
Aug 2016
What a charismatic comeback, I'm really excited to see where this story is going to take us.
Sep 14, 2022 11:21 AM

Jan 2020
reminds me of AKFG ,
well they waited until the very end for it to get interesting . so i look forward to E02 .
The dude on the time machine is ugly as hecc. whats with those teeth? XD
Sep 14, 2022 3:15 PM
Jul 2020
Seeing the cast of Tatami again felt like a fever dream. I love where this is headed. Can't wait for more
Sep 14, 2022 3:25 PM

Jul 2017
I loved it. Cant wait
Sep 14, 2022 4:05 PM
Jul 2019
Piss anime. Unappealing style over the substance lol

Sep 14, 2022 4:55 PM

Oct 2020
security_desu said:
reminds me of AKFG ,
well they waited until the very end for it to get interesting . so i look forward to E02 .
You should watch The Tatami Galaxy before this one. Its really worth it
Sep 14, 2022 7:08 PM
Sep 2016
It's so refreshing to see tatami galaxy again. It already starts with the themes of the waste of time, youth and procrastination. and of course the humour is as good as ever, plenty of ridiculous and over the top shenanigans + Ozu being great as always. I like it so far.
Sep 14, 2022 8:39 PM
Aug 2014
tatami galaxy is back baybeee
Sep 14, 2022 9:24 PM

Sep 2020
security_desu said:
reminds me of AKFG ,

watch Tatami Galaxy first
Every living being is a slave to something.
Askeladd, Vinland Saga.
Sep 14, 2022 9:53 PM

Apr 2014
It hurts to see my precious little onion boy relegated to yokai status once more. HIS MOTIVES ARE PURE DAMN YOU
Sep 15, 2022 12:08 AM

Jan 2018
Nice to have the tatami galaxy feel back although can't help but notice the lack of Yuasa's vibrant direction as the episode went on.
Sep 15, 2022 3:16 AM

Jun 2016
RyTeOnJohnston16 said:
A little bit slow to start but I love the eccentricity of it. The narrating is interesting, the animation is vibrant. I haven't seen anything else in this series but I'm looking forward to watching more!

You should watch the original first! HIGHLY recommended, its my favorite anime ever :)
Sep 15, 2022 8:12 AM
Oct 2017
Thanks for the suggestion! It has been on my list for a while, now would be a really good opportunity!
Sep 15, 2022 11:38 AM

Jan 2020
Ahmed_Alkautsar said:
security_desu said:
reminds me of AKFG ,

watch Tatami Galaxy first

oh that explains a lot!!! xD
Sep 15, 2022 12:18 PM

Apr 2019
The time machine is a Doraemon reference isn't it?
Sep 15, 2022 12:47 PM

Sep 2021
Ronninn said:
this ain't really a sequel?
I think its supposed to be a spin-off cause I got the same feel.
Sep 15, 2022 2:10 PM
Nov 2020
Does anyone know what the ending song is called?
Sep 15, 2022 3:23 PM

Jan 2022
YESSSSSSIR, I loved the ep, I can't wait for more !!!!
Today I don't exist
Sep 16, 2022 9:33 AM
Feb 2022
It's a pity I watched the Tatami Galaxy only after college. My college life wasn't a "rose-colored" experience.
But luckily I am watching this before I go to graduate school, and hopefully, I will have a good student life this time.
Sep 16, 2022 10:50 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
This is so cool, it's really as if it is the same even though it's been 12 years, and I'm just loving seeing more of the story with it not being a sequel but a kind of spin-off or alternate settings since it's like the beginning of the loop with the alternative universes but this time we have a real time machine that Ozu found and tried, also RIP the AC remote lol
Sep 17, 2022 7:41 AM
Sep 2018
I didn't like it,the story seems to be a sort of reboot or something. That kinda ruins the great ending of the original serie.
Sep 17, 2022 11:20 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Entertaining start, this. Looks like this season will be easier to follow for once because it delves lesser into the individualistic philosophy and whatnot, which only time will tell whether it's for the better or not.

Some more raw interactions between Watashi and Akashi-san! Yes, just what I wanted, lol. A possible date with someone though, definitely curious about that. It's nice to see the other characters just being themselves too. Ozu is just Ozu, imagine realising the time machine works only after using it. It could've gone anywhere, props to him for not showing the slightest hint of hesitation. Gold reaction from the side characters when Akashi-san claimed to attain enough footage for the movie, the disbelief was real xD.

Great to have Asian Kung-Fu Generation return to perform the Op, and the visuals have a similar sort of style to it. Probably not going to go down as iconic as the original's but this is a good shout, nonetheless. Pretty nice and boppy ED theme too, I'm already pleased with the two. Dialogue is as good as ever, and the main lead VA is doing a fantastic job again!

"When waking up, be an immovable mountain. When paying for rent, be as swift as the end." - The show really does come up with the best lines, doesn't it?

Curious to see what this is all about.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 17, 2022 1:07 PM

Jun 2015
Fenlix said:
I didn't like it,the story seems to be a sort of reboot or something. That kinda ruins the great ending of the original serie.
It's a spin-off, hence how it ruins anything? I'd agree if it were an actual sequel that gave the impression of being unnecessary. Plus as another thread pointed out, the story itself is from a 2005 movie. This is reinventing that film's plot with the Tatami characters, which I only see as a fun idea.
Sep 17, 2022 8:53 PM

Apr 2019
I'm really glad that Science Saru is working on this. Their work on The Night is Short was simply amazing.

Despite rewatching The Tatami Galaxy only few weeks ago, it feels nostalgic to see everyone again. Especially with their new looks. Love Yusuke Nakamura's character designs; always so unique and stylish.

So I'm hoping that by the end of this, Watashi and Akashi will go to Gozan no Okuribi together. I mean, that'll probably be the case; but I'm gonna hope for it regardless.

The OST was simply beautiful as it was in Galaxy. I'm really glad that they're using tracks 2 and 9 ('Watashi' no Theme and Akashi-san no Theme) from Galaxy's OST. Both are great tracks and fit perfectly with their respective characters. Both the ED and Asian Kung-fu Generation's new song sounds pretty good. Also love how the visuals are similar to Galaxy's.

All in all, this was a fantastic first episode! Loved everyand I'm very excited to see where this goes!
Sep 18, 2022 12:23 AM

Oct 2016
I liked the changes readapting some elements of the movie to the Tatami universe. But I thought Watashi and Akashi were already a couple and Ozu no longer looked like a demon at the end of the original series? Anyways, I'm excited for the rest because I loved the movie.
Sep 18, 2022 5:15 PM
Mar 2021
Un buen comienzo, aunque no me atrapo del mismo modo que la primera parte
Sep 18, 2022 5:42 PM
Sep 2018
Rip the dude all hail Zoro
Sep 19, 2022 5:14 AM

Oct 2010
I see they're doing their own way while adapting the play and the end result is great, I was a bit afraid thinking that it'll be a mindless comedy but it still retains the Tatami energy, even the dialogue is almost as fast as in the old anime
I have nothing more to say 5/5
one of the best anime I ever seen recently
Sep 19, 2022 11:39 AM

Apr 2008
It was so so~
There were some really good quotes, tho.
Sep 20, 2022 4:03 PM

Oct 2015
Even after all this time the style instantly felt like the original, complete with rapid-fire dialogue and all. It put a smile on my face right from the start. Loved seeing the cast again as well. All in all this was a wonderful start and a nice reunion with the characters!
Sep 20, 2022 8:15 PM
Apr 2017
Feels good to be with these characters again. A solid 1st episode that introduces us to the central conceit of the show really well. Some great character expressions and animation - Science Saru has been hit or miss with quality control since its inception but this feels like one of the shows that got a lot of attention and care from its staff.
Sep 22, 2022 11:09 AM
Sep 2021
the art is incredible, it is endearing and creates a good atmosphere, the stylization of each character suits them. The characters are fun and zany, making the show much more interesting. The plot is a bit slow, but thats not necessarily a bad thing.
Sep 22, 2022 5:28 PM

Sep 2019
The characters are one thing but just hearing ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION again brings back memories, it's been a long time since I've listened to them...time goes on too fast. Anyway pretty solid start, this is an actual anime I'm legit excited for.
Sep 22, 2022 6:30 PM
Oct 2019
I really enjoyed this first episode. Its very rare I laugh at an anime but this one really made me laugh. It did an amazing job at simulating a friend group to the point where it made you feel like you were part of it. Its not boring, its not over the top. Its a great slice of life, which to me, are two things that don’t go together.
Sep 23, 2022 1:00 PM
Sep 2022
returning to this is so nostalgic. loving it so far.
Sep 29, 2022 3:56 PM

Oct 2018
It's been 4 years since I watched the original and the fast-paced dialogue immediately brought back it's memories. The voice acting was so consistent that it just feels like something done right alongside the original. Even the whole "time wastage" thing is being taken even more literally this time with a time machine. Now, with the change of the director, it does feel a bit less expressive in its presentation, but Natsume still delivers on all the things that made the original (and Night is Short) so great. There's also the "heat" effects which does add up narratively but at the same time, it kind of ruins how good the backgrounds look.

My only worry is considering this is supposed to be released as a movie (atleast the first 5 episodes), I hope the pacing doesn't get fucked as a result of it getting split into episodes.
Oct 5, 2022 8:36 AM
Jul 2016
Akashi's blue Sailor dress is literally cute af. If I could sew, I would definitely make myself one. 10/10 super cute, add to cart immediately.
Oct 6, 2022 10:59 AM

Mar 2012
Oh, Tatami Galaxy how I've missed your mile-a-minute dialogue, witty repartees, and time travel shenanigans!

It's strange yet amusing to see the main cast get along like they've been good friends all along, especially Jougasaki considering how big of a jerk (and a pervert) he was in Tatami Galaxy.
(It's kind of like watching Carnival Phantasm where all the Fate characters are generally getting along, but were trying to murder each other in the main series.)

But I'm all for it. Our MC is more candid and everyone's personalities bounce off each other which made for some great comedic scenes.

I burst out loud laughing when Ozu disappeared with the time machine. I mean, I completely expected it to work given that this is a time travel story.
It must've been the brilliant build up from Ozu's grandiose farewell speech to the blank stares from everyone to their surprised/panicked reactions immediately after.

xxxATiONOct 6, 2022 12:57 PM
A good author leaves the audience enough material to be satisfied with, yet yearning for more.
Oct 8, 2022 10:09 AM
Nov 2021
great first ep , exited to see more of it
Nov 20, 2022 8:23 PM
Jan 2020
Great, fresh and pretty
Dec 21, 2022 12:23 AM

Aug 2019
It's definitely different than Tatami Galaxy, but in a way that helps this sequel to distinguish itself, I think. The direction is more slow-paced and easier to follow. There's a noticeable change in character design too, but it's consistent to the old style, so it didn't bother me.
Like a lot of people have already said, the main cast feels like a group of old friends hanging out, and this is probably what I've gotten the most out of.

I can't wait to see what will come out of this time machine plot.
Ahora, triste en la pendiente, solitario y ya vencido yo me quiero confesar

Si aquella boca mentía el amor que me ofrecía, por aquellos ojos brujos, yo habría dado siempre más

Jan 27, 2023 6:49 AM
Jan 2023
Personally, I really like how they have animated it, the characters are unique, and, you can see it in their designs. The voice acting is good, were introduced to a close-knit friend group in college. The anime looks pretty, its a comforting happy, and realistic comedy where it's not overexaggerated (Except for the time machine).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 6 Discussion

CaptainKenshiro - Oct 12, 2022

36 by cchigu »»
Jan 28, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 5 Discussion

Unowen - Oct 12, 2022

21 by deg »»
Dec 7, 2023 3:05 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 4 Discussion

CodeMoon - Oct 5, 2022

21 by deg »»
Dec 7, 2023 1:24 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 3 Discussion

CaptainKenshiro - Sep 28, 2022

17 by deg »»
Dec 7, 2023 12:50 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 2 Discussion

_MushiRock11_ - Sep 21, 2022

23 by deg »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.