Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2022 7:15 PM

Jul 2017
Bilibili early release, still unknown if this is going to be the standard going forward.

Honestly, I was expecting Studio Deen's Bakumatsu levels of mediocrity, but this surprised me that it's just decent. How did Geno Studio let go of Golden Kamuy to do this side project is beyond me.

Takanori Nishikawa (TNNK) with his stylistic OP, that's a song alright. Decent ED.

The usual Sengoku era of the Shinsengumi, and original characters drawn by Hiroyuki Takei of Shaman King fame (of which the 8th Division Shinsengumi captain Heisuke Todo is quite similar to You Asakura). The many characters with famous samurai names (though they sound quiplash in their original state), though most are made out to be the usual samurai defeating the evil that is the Masked Demons, the "bastard" group whom killed the Shinsengumi, and the red-haired Ichibanboshi is one for force in a rag-tag team of a newly formed Shinsengumi group made out from scratch.

Each Shinsengumi former-criminal member has their own unique speciality, though the obnoxious Ichibanboshi uses his feet and fists to protect people, the typical Shonen feel, and his sword being that of a similar kin to Star Wars lols. But he has a reason: his family who's been killed by samurai, he's here to take revenge.

Having Tetsuo Hirakawa as director and series composer, given how he butchered Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO and almost with Grimoire of Zero, I'm not hoping for the best...
KANLen09Jul 9, 2022 3:53 AM
Jul 7, 2022 7:17 PM

Feb 2021
Literally was thinking in my head the entire time that this gives off Katanagatari vibes.

"๐˜๐˜ฆ๐˜บ, ๐˜๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ช... ๐˜•๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ถ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ต ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ, ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ข ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ."
โป๐˜•๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ข ๐˜–๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ฌ๐˜ช
Jul 7, 2022 7:45 PM

Oct 2020
My thought above, as well as KANLen's. I really do like some of the character designs and the colorful lines albeit that's just aesthetics. 3/5.
Jul 7, 2022 7:47 PM

Mar 2010
The animation of this is so wacky... The scenes where they join the group and any of the fights. The characters are also annoying so far lmao. There is so much ost in this that its insane.
Jul 7, 2022 8:19 PM

Sep 2021
This wasnt what i expected when the first KV came out
Jul 7, 2022 9:13 PM

Jun 2021
Someone killed the Shinsengumi huh? Did he by chance have an X shaped cut on his cheek? Haha. Little old school reference for you folks.

But fr, this was actually a pretty dope premiere episode. I’m a real sucker for these kinds of historical fiction type shows. Especially when it comes to samurais and the like. These guys are sorta like a “samurai” Suicide Squad complete with unique skills and quirky personalities. They even got a Waller-esque handler lol.

All in all, good first ep. Looks like a fun series, I look forward to following this weekly. Hopefully the release schedule is a little more stable.

Silent_Shadow05Jul 9, 2022 4:54 AM
Jul 7, 2022 9:48 PM

Aug 2020
Cool start, it reminds me a bit of a combination of Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi and Jigokuraku. The blue guy is already my favourite out of the new Shinsengumi.

ใ€Œ ๐•‚๐•–๐•ช ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•’๐•ฅ ๐•™๐•š๐••๐•–๐•ค ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•– ๐•—๐• ๐•ฃ๐•”๐•–๐•ค ๐• ๐•— ๐••๐•’๐•ฃ๐•œ๐•Ÿ๐•–๐•ค๐•ค, ๐•ค๐•™๐• ๐•จ ๐•ž๐•– ๐•ช๐• ๐•ฆ๐•ฃ ๐•ฅ๐•ฃ๐•ฆ๐•– ๐•—๐• ๐•ฃ๐•ž ใ€

Jul 8, 2022 12:04 AM
May 2021
Interesting start of the series. I hope it will improve more. looking forward to next episode. And why it's still showing Not aired in MAL??
Jul 8, 2022 2:21 AM
Dec 2021
What is this pacing bruh. i hope the MC stops screaming
Jul 8, 2022 3:09 AM
Jun 2021
For me the highlight of the episode was when the dad of the mc ran at the bad guy with a rock, scene made me laugh everything else was painfully boring.
Jul 8, 2022 3:13 AM
Jan 2020
Love the aesthetic
Jul 8, 2022 6:58 AM

Nov 2010
  • The art style of the show is too comic-ish; that is to say, it uses too thick outline for characters. I don't like it.
  • The show also applies filthy filter on all the scenes. I don't like it.
  • The show also has low frame rate. I don't like it.

Jul 8, 2022 7:00 AM

Nov 2011
They really made an impression at introducing the main cast, especially with characters like Akira from the first episode. On a technical level, I also like the style of the artwork.

Ichibanboshi seems like a punk with his practical approach at fighting. I hope we find out more about his character's past. Seems he needs to respect his sword more, especially for a samurai. Not going to lie though, this was quite entertaining for the sheer amount of entertainment coming from the casts' personalities.
Jul 8, 2022 7:35 AM

Apr 2016
This is exactly one of those super swag samurai shows that are SO japanese in every aspect, so full of wack and style, really love those. Like this is what an original anime is, should be. Hope it won't be dragged down by the characters and predictable story.

(Blonde dude from the opening who's younger brother of our main guy, whom he will be forced to kill at the end, cuz you know ... anime).
Jul 8, 2022 9:19 AM
Sep 2015
The group that has many psycho reminds me of Akudama Drive while the aesthetic reminds me of Appare-Ranman! Despite being very Japanese atmosphere, I think this anime is actually tailored for western audience, or is it because it has Japanese atmosphere so much it makes me think it was created for western audience, because I don't think Japanese people will buy shinsenkumi plot anymore.

Todo reminds me of Shaman King, not surprised because of same character designer.
Yasuharu Takanashi composed the music, but this feel like a collection of his unused songs instead of new one.
Highly violence and no fanservice, many people will appreciate this fact, but not me, I'm the opposite.
Many people already guess the yellow hair guy is the brother of the red hair guy, so I'll guess a different thing. I'll guess the evil mastermind is Teijiro Akiduki, he's the servant of lord Matsudaira. A real-life Teijiro (Akizuki) didn't betray Matsudaira clan, but I somehow suspect him.
Jul 8, 2022 12:43 PM
Jan 2016
Best way I could describe this show is if super sentai and samurai 7, which if you end up liking this then go watch that anime next, fused together. Not a bad premise for a story, though a little generic, but I am willing to give this series a try
prrgangstaJul 8, 2022 12:52 PM
Jul 8, 2022 3:44 PM

Apr 2018
Honestly, the fight scenes aren't the worst. Even the bisuit anime got far shittier quality and animation. This reminds me of the Hidaten anime from MAPPA so looking forward for more episodes even though it ain't the best.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 8, 2022 4:07 PM
Jan 2019
Honestly i don't get why this show is already rated so low, it's got a colorful, varied cast, some good ass soundtrack, standard battle shonen-ish battle sequence, some form of political intrigue, a unique artstyle and decent animation. I wouldn't call this "bad" by any means, what's not to love?
Jul 8, 2022 11:12 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Its Gintama like Shinsengumi for me. everytime i hear the name kondo isami an image of a monkey suddenly pops in my head.
I cant stop imagining a Gorilla lol and Hijakatas Mayonnaise addiction..
They paired up... almost everyone in the squad was hilarious everytime i hear their name I keep getting Gintama flashbacks .
The Leader of Shinsengumi looks like Asakura Yoh from Shaman King..

Sakuya, his personality is no personality (blue)
Bou, his personality is being fat and dumb (yellow)
Gyatarou, the pervert for living things (orange)
Sogen, the pervert for dead things (green)
Suzuran, his personality is pretending to be a woman (purple)
Akira, her personality is pretending to be a man (pink)
Shakuya, his personality is screaming a lot (red)

05:23 He looks like that Person who was with Hao in Shaman King.
The criminal guy in the beginning that was killed is from shaman king same as the captain..

welcome to the Power Rangers.. i mean Gintama.. i mean shaman king... okay mean: Shinsengumi!
Another hidden gem of this season. Hope it goes well and higher

Jul 9, 2022 12:50 AM
Aug 2018
Not getting the low score already.
Pretty decent first episode.
Jul 9, 2022 2:19 AM

Apr 2009
awful filter. Looks like my screen is in dust
Jul 9, 2022 3:03 AM

Oct 2014
Honestly better than I expected.

What worries me is the pacing and the amount of main characters, think it was like 8.
Based on the fact that this will be 12 episodes, there is no way these 8 characters will get proper development and be fledged out. Instead it will just be something like "thats the one that eats alot, thats the one that like anatomy" etc etc.

Jul 9, 2022 5:16 AM

Jul 2016
Although somewhat generic, the first episode does ended up better than I expected.

BTW:

Luchist, what are you doing here? Was this "majesty" referred to Hao? Lol
MahiaErebeaNegiJul 9, 2022 9:05 PM
Jul 9, 2022 7:27 AM

Dec 2016
It was an OK start. The MC is very generic, I wouldn't have watched it but I like the animation, the animation style is quite similar to Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi.

I also liked the OP and ED.
Jul 9, 2022 8:22 AM

Mar 2016
And here we got the shinsengumi version of suicide squad! The art style remembered me of Angolmois Genkou Kassenki (anyone else remembers that one?), pretty straight forward action show, which isn't bad I think for this anime.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jul 9, 2022 10:18 AM

Jan 2016
the art style and animation are really cool, and that's the definitely the thing that this show has going for it. Otherwise, the characters are kinda generic, especially the MC.
Jul 9, 2022 12:01 PM

Jul 2011
The creator of Shaman King must really hated Luchist to put him here just to be killed in less than 10 min.

And helped his favourite child get a new job as Heisuke.
Jul 9, 2022 6:10 PM

Nov 2012
I am torn. This was better than I thought it would be, but I do not like dark outlines. I'm passing on many titles so far this season because of the artwork. I'll give 2 more episodes for ma attention to be diverted from the outlines.
Jul 9, 2022 7:31 PM

Sep 2008
I feel the themes are too dark for this whacky colorful cartoony show, with these obnoxious characters.
https://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/1717/121768l.jpg expectation
https://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/1935/122754l.jpg reality
้ฆฌ้นฟใ’ใŸๅ€ซ็†ใ€€ๅ…จ้ƒจใ‚ฌใƒฉใ‚ฏใ‚ฟใง
Jul 10, 2022 3:01 AM

Feb 2021
Unfortunately pass for me. Animation is pretty strange and the plot is quite lacking in story.
Jul 10, 2022 4:05 AM

Jun 2020

oh hes too cute!โœฟ

๊•ค but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing
๊•ค

Jul 10, 2022 6:06 AM
Jan 2017
Remind me to basara,,
there some similar face like Mobius from Honkai and Venti From genshin,,
interesting show
Jul 10, 2022 10:27 AM

May 2021
Wow, the art was amazing. And the choreography was also well done. And that's it. The rest of the show is too boring, probably coz of the big cast whose names I already forgot and whose personality seems to be defined by one line. MC screams too much; I can understand screaming during battles; a tactic commonly used by martial artists to instill shock in their opponents and also allow them to move more freely, but he screams all the time, even when its completely unnecessary.

I can only hope it improves from hereon.

Jul 10, 2022 11:26 AM

May 2018
Some visual stylistics, kabuki theatre shenanigans and old timey singing.
Ichibanboshi is your typical baka shounen protagonist of course,
Nice shamisen riffs.
Katana testing - ouch!
Sith swords give you advantage in sword fight, duuuh!
Is the chibi sketch at the end a Bilibili mandatory thing?
alshuJul 10, 2022 1:12 PM
Jul 10, 2022 1:11 PM

Jun 2013
The villain has a huge sword, let me fight him with a rock
Jul 10, 2022 3:26 PM

Mar 2022
Well, it was pleasant surprise. Took me a few to get used to the art style but, other than that, I find it entertaining enough to keep watching.
Jul 11, 2022 7:15 AM
May 2022
At first I didn't expected something nice,but I finished the chapter loving the art style and character design! About the story, it doesn't really got me,but it's the first episode after all so... Idk, I hope this turns in a great anime, it has some really good points
Jul 11, 2022 9:03 AM

Oct 2015
Okay, I like it. Let's go, typical as you are.

Sword awakening already๐Ÿค”
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 12, 2022 7:42 PM

Jul 2016
Swagernator said:
This is exactly one of those super swag samurai shows that are SO japanese in every aspect, so full of wack and style, really love those. Like this is what an original anime is, should be. Hope it won't be dragged down by the characters and predictable story.

(Blonde dude from the opening who's younger brother of our main guy, whom he will be forced to kill at the end, cuz you know ... anime).

Everything I came on here to say is said here.
Jul 15, 2022 3:13 PM

Oct 2012
WTF half of those characters look like they were taken straight out of Genshin Impact.
Aug 5, 2022 8:34 PM
Mar 2012
Colorful & animation surprisingly nice, but weird dance moves.
Monk & doc seem fun. MC typical dumb hothead is annoying.
Aug 24, 2022 4:44 PM

Jan 2014
heisuke looks like that one laidback mc from shaman king XD
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Sep 26, 2022 6:56 PM

Jun 2009
I get the feeling this is going to be a very "style over substance" anime, but you know what? I'm okay with that.
Nov 22, 2022 12:53 AM

Feb 2021
This one a unique anime. The story is quite classic but the animation style is great! Can't wait to see more.
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

More topics from this board

» Do I watch this or do I watch the 2024 Bucchigiri?

AnimeDownUnder - Apr 25

4 by Piromysl »»
May 7, 4:53 AM

Poll: » Bucchigire! Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2022

17 by Destroyer31 »»
Dec 5, 2023 9:00 PM

Poll: » Bucchigire! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2022

8 by YudiYusantoS »»
Nov 22, 2022 9:08 PM

Poll: » Bucchigire! Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2022

7 by YudiYusantoS »»
Nov 22, 2022 9:01 PM

Poll: » Bucchigire! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2022

6 by YudiYusantoS »»
Nov 22, 2022 8:51 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.