Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 15, 2022 8:02 AM

Jul 2017

Eris going goblin slaying, who would've thought. This is Episode 16.5, where Eris and Ruijerd goes on their own journey while Rudeus and Paul had their reunion.

But this OVA basically has a new character: Cliff Grimoire, one of the best boys in the series. And given the entire prologue montage, this gives the first impression of who he is: a kid who's been sheltered most of his life, and a grown-up being cocky, confident, annoying and prideful one at that.

Of course, Cliff gets a beating from Eris calling her ugly, that's not good for a first impressions, even more so from his overzealous confidence. Eris has known Rudeus much before this, so Cliff isn't that remarkable to her. The duo's journey testing Cliff's endurance with Eris, takes them into the woods from goblin slaying to encountering the Milis Religion's Pope Faction
and Therese Latreia from the Order of the Temple

Hah, Cliff asking Eris to marry her out of seeing her plain fantastic performance (thanks to Studio Bind's amazing production), he must be hoodwinked for her to accept the offer, let alone face rejection. And seeing Eris's smiling face only further strengthens his concede that he can only swallow his pride down his throat.

All these events wll happen as the seasons pass...so definitely looking forward when it drops in the future!
KANLen09Mar 15, 2022 9:24 AM
Mar 15, 2022 8:09 AM
Jun 2019
Well yeah kinda unexpected that Eris did that XD. Well for an OVA, they sure still want to offer the best, the fight scene is really good. Props to all of the staffs working on this. @MegamiRem is that really? damn if so then i can't wait for season 2, can't wait for those two to meet.

This kind of ova is pretty good, it can makes us feel hype about the upcoming season. Well can't wait to see what they have to offer in season 2 since i don't read the LN

Also that rejection is a LOL scene for sure.

HYPE!!
William03Mar 15, 2022 8:30 AM
Mar 15, 2022 8:18 AM

Oct 2017
My girl Eris is amusing as always. Also good to finally see Cliff in the anime. This guy cliff here will be a legend but that's a story for the upcoming seasons. Looking forward to season 2.
Mar 15, 2022 8:24 AM

Jul 2021
Woah the beginning, who was that? They represent it through some interesting presentations.

Yay Eris and Ruijerd are both back and back and the song inserted is so calming. Eris seems to be discovering her potential and true desire, how independent.

Eris is doing her own way to start her Goblin Slayer but encounters Cliff with some adventurer. Heh my first time hearing Cliff's voice and he sounds like a wimpy kid, or is he?

Eris seems mad at wimpy kid though and that punch was chef's kiss <3 Cliff definitely deserved it for calling her ugly though.

Lol gonna do the character introduction while walking heh? Like how Cliff is trying so hard to prove his strength but Eris is constantly rejecting her and in the end, Eris accepts whatever this wimpy kid is sprouting.

Eris sword ability will never fail to amaze me and Cliff uses his Exodus Flame to kill those goblins, how cool, the animation was so fluid in this moment.

Eris yet again show off her sword skill fighting against some sussy prepatators, that's some illusion of destruction within her own competence! Heh wondered why Ruijerd was left behind, would be cool if they'd explore his character more in depth or maybe in the latter.

Cliff got rejected by Eris, heh this episode shows that Rudeus > Cliff but we know that already. Do feel bad for Cliff though and oh that episode of Rudeus feeling depressed, ouch some emotional damage right there.
CQLLISTMar 15, 2022 8:35 AM
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Mar 15, 2022 8:26 AM
Jan 2019
Cliff-hanger.

Ok sorry i will leave
Mar 15, 2022 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
Where are you watching this
Mar 15, 2022 8:40 AM

Jul 2017
An interesting direction taken for the prologue of the chapter to describe Cliff's life before heading to the guild. Felt like a different show at the start, but I quickly got back into the swing of things after that. For a Goblin chapter, there's actually less value in the goblins themselves and more surrounding Eris and Cliff's characters and the conflicts that arise in Millis surrounding the Blessed Child there and various factions. Millishon looks like a heavenly place with the colors, architecture and the church vibes presented strongly, but it doesn't mean that there's no sins about that place whatsoever.

I loved the action from Eris' side, she kicked some absolute ass there to save the Blessed Child and had no qualms about killing people in a brutal fashion to do her 'good deed' here. The action was quick, but showed some choreography and brutality that was fitting alongside Eris' development as a fighter towards people other than Ruijerd and monsters and how strong she actually is at such a young age. Only got so much more room to develop her strengths for the long run. Cliff was spoiled in his past, and him being humbled by Eris the whole time and having her fawn over Rudeus as a magician, teacher and someone she likes over him definitely had his ego take a beating. Let alone him having to deal with everything surrounding him be in absolute chaos. Can't wait to see where his character goes in the 2nd season. Eris' feelings for Rudeus definitely were something else in this episode. It only confirms how later on, she does want to get stronger to protect and fight by his side and not just abandoning him for the sake of it. She's all over him.

This is less of a throwaway episode and more of an episode that's needed to build to the future with the 2nd season and beyond. Good thing that the show has its 2nd season confirmed and introduced those characters that some people feared would be completely omitted, which I'm surprised by the amount that had their doubts for the long run. Gonna miss my MT content till whenever that 2nd season is out with this being over now. I thoroughly enjoyed this, and yeah, this episode like the other MT episodes felt like 5 minutes again. And this sucks since this is out 3 months after the Part 2 finale.
Mar 15, 2022 8:41 AM

Oct 2019
Love it, I was a bit confused about the sudden backstory, but it delivers well. The silhouette of Cliff immediately clicked into my mind and was surprisingly interesting. Though, when I did first look at the preview, we could see that he's bratty and prideful, luckily Eris is there to keep him at his place, even when he attempted to confess. Never stood a chance in the first place.

Anyways, the animation is still solid though I could see a few inconsistencies throughout the episode. Peace!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2022 8:41 AM
Jun 2020
mattnoce said:
avaliable on youtube for me through muse asia shouth east asia
Mar 15, 2022 8:43 AM
May 2021
I get it now where the story is from!
Mar 15, 2022 8:53 AM

May 2020
we finally got to see cliff animated

always good to have more Mushoku Tensei
amazing animations and sound design
studio bind>>>

also that cliff hanger tho
I can't wait for s2 now

Homura24Mar 15, 2022 9:27 AM

Mar 15, 2022 9:11 AM

May 2021
PRETTY GOOD,The new boy introduced was kinda fine tho,but the visuals are still top notch.the story telling was what would u call a top class Extra story. Although by little,they consolidated the eris's respect towards Rudeus.
Mar 15, 2022 9:18 AM

Jul 2020
eris really out here cutting dudes in HALF. also great animation
Mar 15, 2022 9:20 AM

Jan 2017
Though I get Eris POV on why she worship Rudeus so much, telling too much info about him to another mage@stranger is never a good thing. A battle between Cliff and Rudeus is pretty much confirmed at this point

Not much info about the Blessed Child introduced this episode? ok then
Mar 15, 2022 9:28 AM

Jan 2009
Cliff-hanger indeed

so Rudeus got this new love rival with Eris named Cliff eh

Eris is a slasher alright she has no hesitation or doubts about killing for the sake of protecting people she deems worthy

the action sakuga is awesome again
Mar 15, 2022 9:30 AM

Mar 2021
Man, I was not expecting this special episode to be canon at all.
Mar 15, 2022 9:33 AM

May 2021
this episode was great, idk about the LN but it seems that boy may become a villain figure
Mar 15, 2022 9:55 AM
Jul 2018
"No one is as amazing as Rudeus", said Eris. True, I agree with your words. That child sage really thinks he's stronger than Rudeus HAHAHAHA NO WAY.

And look at that child, HAHA, "Greatest Sage"? Rudeus doesn't even need to chant magic words!
Mar 15, 2022 9:59 AM
May 2021
This episode said alot about Eris's character growth.

Now I have this to add into my collection.
Mar 15, 2022 10:11 AM

Oct 2021
Good Episode. I am happy we got to see more eris and ruijerd though story was decent which is expected as OVA's usually acts like a filler. However, I certainly liked the parallel between Rudeus and Cliff at the end. ANIMATION quality was great as well.
7/10 for now but might consider a rewatch to sum-up ratings.
Mar 15, 2022 10:17 AM
Nov 2021
It was a decent episode. I loved how detailed the food were displayed in the marketplace, but the scene where Eris was washing her hands looked unpolished. The fight against the assassins was pretty cool. The brisk animations and the elaborate movements made for an entertaining performance.
Mar 15, 2022 10:39 AM
Feb 2022
Desi_Nehra said:
The graphics were all over the place. I am feeling disappointed... (I thought they would do a better job than this.)

That's because they're animating the season 2 and 3 simultaneously, from what I heard.
Mar 15, 2022 10:40 AM

Apr 2018
One of the best OVA's I've seen so far. Well, it was nice to see Eris again and Cliff in the end. Really liked the fluid animation and this was a great episode.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Mar 15, 2022 10:41 AM
Feb 2022
I hate people nitpicking just because the animation of Eris washing her hands looks choppy.
Mar 15, 2022 10:50 AM

Jan 2021
Great episode, potentially set up a lot of new characters? Animation was top notch, and omg hearing that ED again takes me back.
Mar 15, 2022 10:58 AM

Feb 2021
Its good to have Mushoku back, Cliff seems like an interesting character and the Eris fighting scene was very well done.
Also its nice having an episode focusing on characters besides Rudeus.

mattnoce said:

It's on Funimation
Mar 15, 2022 11:24 AM

Mar 2016
A great extra story overall focused around Eris and a newly introduced character in Cliff Grimoire. Not only this was a nice addition of context that was initially missed out from the LN, but it also builds up for future development that would definitely turn up in s2 when that comes around. The general animation quality isn't that much different from the main series, but that fight sequence with Eris and the Pope Faction members was hella sick. As for the other character that many LN readers clamored and complained about the series not highlighting properly, Therese's introduction ain't that bad, tbh. I feel like they could always go back to her later on in the adaptation if it's really necessary to bring her back up.
Other than that, this OVA was worth the watch. Kinda sad that s2 will be quite a long wait ahead.
Mar 15, 2022 11:33 AM
Jul 2018
Considering my thoughts on the main series are mixed this was overall a really enjoyable episode. Eris kicking ass was nice to see as-well as Cliff being overall an interesting new addition.

6/10 - Feels weird to rate it higher than the show itself
Mar 15, 2022 11:53 AM

Oct 2021
So it seems that the voice actor of Therese was the one who voiced Zenith. Quite odd, but I kind of understand for the selection.

Overall, 8/10 for this episode.
Mar 15, 2022 11:57 AM
Jun 2021
Was nice to see some more of Eris.

Who was the guy that Cliff saw on the bridge talking with Eris in a "vision"? probably Rudeus right?

I don't mind spoilers, just hide them if your answer has any.

Thanks in advance!
Mar 15, 2022 11:59 AM
Feb 2016
Kernal_ said:

Who was the guy that Cliff saw on the bridge talking with Eris in a "vision"? probably Rudeus right?

Thanks in advance!
Kernal_ said:

Thanks in advance!

Teen Rudeus of course.
Mar 15, 2022 12:06 PM
Feb 2021
Watched it on Hulu, really cool and I’m very interested in where Cliff goes in the story
Mar 15, 2022 12:07 PM
Feb 2021
mattnoce said:

I watched it on Hulu
Mar 15, 2022 12:29 PM
Mar 2018
Eris ultra cute as expected.
Mar 15, 2022 12:35 PM

May 2021
That fight scene was the most 🔥 one yet. Just shows the improvement in animation quality the studio can deliver if they have the time
Mar 15, 2022 12:50 PM
Oct 2016
This was a nice little return to the world of Mushoku Tensei for a brief side story. The chapter of Eris fighting goblins and meeting an interesting young boy while Rudy was having his disgruntled reunion with Paul. Eris wanting to do that goblin hunting quest she mentioned before setting off once they arrived in Millis. A nice little sort of recap or Cliff early life with those picture book visuals to start the episode. Cliff is a very important character later in the novels so its very good that he gets an animated debut, with hints to other things, here in this special episode. Instantly falling head over heels for Eris after seeing her demolish those goons attacking a little girl and her Knights in the forest. The animation having that incredible quality we used to see almost every episode during the main show. Eris turning the hell up to slaughter those guys completely. They barely stood a chance in the end. The last Knight standing Therese is another important character from the novels I'm glad to see animated here, some of her stuff got skipped over in the main anime which is why I'm glad she's in this special episode too like Cliff is. Overall a good step back into Mushoku Tensei through giving Eris shine.
Mar 15, 2022 12:54 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I wish they could have included this in the main series as well. But I suppose they wanted to keep things tight. Cliff is such an incredible brat at this point, lol.

Eris is as cute (except when she's pissed of course) and fun as always! And seeing Therese was awesome as well.
FarabeufMar 15, 2022 1:06 PM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 15, 2022 1:27 PM

Jun 2015
What was this. It was a great eps and Iris owning but it does not fit with the continuity of the main show as is released so far behind last season its a bit weird watching it. Still, any story is good story I guess.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Mar 15, 2022 2:07 PM
Dec 2021
Eris straight up cut that guy in half. That was awesome.
Mar 15, 2022 3:01 PM

Jul 2017
Roch2001 said:
What was this. It was a great eps and Iris owning but it does not fit with the continuity of the main show as is released so far behind last season its a bit weird watching it. Still, any story is good story I guess.

It's just a side story of Eris' adventure on her day off so that's why it feels different. Cliff and other elements that were new in this episode will be relevant in future seasons so this isn't filler either.
Mar 15, 2022 3:04 PM
Sep 2015
goddamnd, way to short....

finally see one of the later best boys in the anime, cliff will become a very nice char, cant wait for his first meetup with rudi in the next season^^

watching this ova let me think about rewatch the anime, or even read the ln for the third time

and eris kick ass as usual and cant stop fangirling about rudi, sry cliff but your future wife will let you forget her, so dont be sad (even if it takes 3 or 4 years or so from now).

hope they announce the next season soon, is my favorit isekai and one of my all time Favorit shows, or at least have the chance to become it if they keep doing such a good job with the adaption
Mar 15, 2022 3:47 PM
Apr 2021
mattnoce said:
you can watch legally on youtube. Search muse asia
Mar 15, 2022 3:50 PM

Jan 2020
I started off hating Cliff, but at the end I just started to feel sort of bad. He's just a sheltered child who doesn't know how the world works. He expects everything to work in his favour.

I'm hoping that if he shows up in the future, that he is able to redeem himself
Mar 15, 2022 4:18 PM

Aug 2020
I miss this show to much. So good

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Mar 15, 2022 4:25 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I was expecting the OVA to be more about Eris, but instead this was more about Cliff as we saw a glimpse of his backstory in the beginning of the episode. I'm curious to see what kind of role Cliff plays in this story when he meets Rudeus for the first time. Eris was being her usual self by punching Cliff after calling her ugly. It looks like Eris got caught up in the conflict between the Milis religion Pope and Cardinal factions without knowing what's going on. She also met Therese Latreia who was protecting a child from the Pope faction's assassins. Therese helped Cliff and Eris out of the forest and back into town where both of them went their separate ways.

Now we wait for Season 2.
Mar 15, 2022 4:33 PM

Nov 2011
This episode would have solidified my opinion that Eris was the best Girl in 2021 if this Aired in 2021. Because Eris was fucking awesome in it.

But for what? The fighting? Oh no when she said her name was Rujierd the Surperb I was like "Yes YES!!! THATS ACTUALLY FUCKING SMART AND AWESOME!!!" So good

I liked the beginning because it showed her as both A Child at heart and a swordswoman

This episode definitely has a HUGE impact on the story going forward especially with the Introduction of Cliff, the pope, and the treatment of Demons

if this episode aired without a season 2 notice I would have just laughed because They set up the next arc actually fucking perfectly
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Mar 15, 2022 7:10 PM

Jul 2017
Shengud said:
I started off hating Cliff, but at the end I just started to feel sort of bad. He's just a sheltered child who doesn't know how the world works. He expects everything to work in his favour.

I'm hoping that if he shows up in the future, that he is able to redeem himself

Ironically, that's the kind of feeling with a lot of characters from this series when it comes to first impressions and how the series loves to develop them at different paces for different characters from the ground up. Reminds me of how much of an spoiled ass brat Eris was when she first met Rudeus and over time she got to develop to who she is in the current stages of the anime, even this OVA in particular. Cliff's got that same feeling too in a way, although his circumstances are much, much different.
Mar 15, 2022 7:29 PM

Jul 2017
Insertnamesz said:
Can anyone clear up some things for me?

Did Cliff put on that helmet so that the Temple Knight wouldn't recognize him? And are the men Eris slew Cliff's tutors? Is Cliff associated with the current demon-accepting Pope? And that's why his maid tells him to expect conflict with the Archbishop, because they will blame it on Demons?

Thanks!

animejasMar 15, 2022 8:31 PM
Mar 15, 2022 8:04 PM
Jul 2021
holy crap SOO damn good! So crazy to see that moment when he saw Eris in that way and the future, God DAMNIT I want ALL those episodes for the rest of the series NOW! lol
Mar 15, 2022 8:07 PM
Jul 2021
KANLen09 said:

Eris going goblin slaying, who would've thought. This is Episode 16.5, where Eris and Ruijerd goes on their own journey while Rudeus and Paul had their reunion.

But this OVA basically has a new character: Cliff Grimoire, one of the best boys in the series. And given the entire prologue montage, this gives the first impression of who he is: a kid who's been sheltered most of his life, and a grown-up being cocky, confident, annoying and prideful one at that.

Of course, Cliff gets a beating from Eris calling her ugly, that's not good for a first impressions, even more so from his overzealous confidence. Eris has known Rudeus much before this, so Cliff isn't that remarkable to her. The duo's journey testing Cliff's endurance with Eris, takes them into the woods from goblin slaying to encountering the Milis Religion's Pope Faction
and Therese Latreia from the Order of the Temple

Hah, Cliff asking Eris to marry her out of seeing her plain fantastic performance (thanks to Studio Bind's amazing production), he must be hoodwinked for her to accept the offer, let alone face rejection. And seeing Eris's smiling face only further strengthens his concede that he can only swallow his pride down his throat.

All these events wll happen as the seasons pass...so definitely looking forward when it drops in the future!

Oh man, I was thinking about the fight That those Knights have with a particular someone like after 15? I can't remember exactly but oh man, soo damn badass. So awesome we got Ruijerd! Can NOT wait for Volume 14-15 soo damn bad. Id pay soo much money if I could watch it all now. If I had a time machine the first thing I'd do is get lottery numbers, second I'd go get all seasons/LNs of this(and Re:Zero).
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is It important to watch this ?

Armaan247 - Oct 15, 2022

22 by El-Melloi »»
Sep 10, 2023 12:18 PM

» Mushoku Tensei (English dub)

Fipen - Mar 17, 2022

14 by Levo »»
Aug 14, 2022 11:55 PM

» What do you guys think about the animation?

Neko_Bernkastel - Mar 16, 2022

18 by ChrisBlitz »»
Aug 12, 2022 12:52 PM

» Do I misremember or was Cliff's backstory described differently in the LN?

MavikBow - May 29, 2022

4 by ShounenOverrated »»
May 31, 2022 12:36 AM

» How is there still no studio added to this OVA

Spoopy69 - Apr 22, 2022

6 by gavin5o »»
Apr 23, 2022 9:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.