Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 15, 2022 11:39 AM

Oct 2010
After so many mecha anime, I think it's safe to say that mecha fans can easily pilot giant robots. So, what model do you have now and what do you want to try in the next future?

I am not that good of a pilot but I know the basics, I can't possibly pilot a Zeta Gundam or Grendizer, the controls are too old and I can't compare with Newtype pilots, that's why I opted for a safe RahXephon, the controls are very easy and it come attached with an Ixtli and man, my Ixtli is so cute I could die for. Look at this baby.

I would love to try a Valvrave Hikaminari, I love the power and the design is awesome, it sucks that you can only pilot it so long but the thrill must be worth a lot. The controls look easy, hell, even a hikikomori loser could pilot that machine.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 15, 2022 11:45 AM

Jan 2009
i pilot with mind control like seen on Macross Plus (in case of Real Robot)
i pilot with willpower like seen on Gurren Lagann (in case of Super Robot)
Feb 15, 2022 11:57 AM
Jul 2018
Probably anything from Patlabor or Macross.
Feb 15, 2022 12:13 PM

Dec 2020
Probably just gonna go with the homies on this one

7/10 thread

Feb 15, 2022 12:18 PM

Feb 2016
My current profile picture comes from Mazin Saga. I'm told it functions like a suit of armor.
その目だれの目?
Feb 15, 2022 12:21 PM

Apr 2014
Not a mecha fan, but I would say Geno Breaker.

何それ?意味分かんない
Feb 15, 2022 12:23 PM

Oct 2018
I'd pilot the Japanese Spider-Man's mecha Leopardon
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Feb 15, 2022 12:26 PM
Jul 2017
Either the Gundam Unicorn, Strike Freedom, Turn A Gundam, or a fighter from Macross
Feb 15, 2022 12:35 PM

Apr 2013
I haven't watched darlin in the Franxx but from my understanding, piloting one of them kind of come with some err... "perks", so that's that ;p
Feb 15, 2022 12:42 PM

May 2018
VF-1 from Macross.
This thing has three modes:

Feb 15, 2022 12:46 PM

Dec 2018
the one and only mf infinite stratos
If you rated Jujutsu Kaisen a 10/10, then your opinion is not valid.

AOT>FMAB
Feb 15, 2022 12:54 PM

Sep 2008
01 is suffering,
zearth is certain death,
need surgery for barbatos,
don't know anything about gothicmade ones,
tsugumoris are cool but mazinkaiser SKL is metal incarnate.
MAZINKAISER SKL it is.

iIf God gets in our way, he'll get cut down! If the Devil does the same, then he'll be shot! We fight because we want to! We crush because we want to! The words "just cause" mean nothing to us!
There's no point in waiting for us in Hell... We ARE Hell!

馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Feb 15, 2022 1:04 PM

May 2013
Ball.

I would pilot Ball from the Gundam series for the memes lol.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Feb 15, 2022 1:27 PM

Jan 2022
Umm... UFO ROBO GRENDIZER of course.

And while that's iconic and forever for me, my all time fave mecha is the VOTOMS "Armored Trooper" units that are within the VOTOMS (One Man Tank for Offense & Maneuvers) designation of various types, but the one I love the most is the ATM-09-RSC [Red Shoulder Custom] Chirico builds in the first story arc of the original 1983 series [Uoodoo City Arc], that was his attempt to build the ATM-09-STTC Scopedog Turbo Custom... but minus the Turbo Boosters in the legs, the RSC is interchangeable with the Scopedog Turbo Custom as seen here:

and for jet fighter / space fighter stuff, even with as much as I loved the VF-1S Strike Valkyrie from SDF MACROSS, I honestly really liked the Su-27/37 inspired SV-51 and more specifically the Nora Polansky type from MACROSS ZERO.

Grendizer_Feb 15, 2022 1:33 PM
Feb 15, 2022 1:36 PM

Sep 2020
The Crescens Gear from the videogame Xenogears of course.
Feb 15, 2022 1:40 PM

Jan 2021
Honestly piloting any robot would be good enough for me.

Feb 15, 2022 1:41 PM

Nov 2018
The ultimate space weapon of Planet Fleed; the almighty Grendizer.

Feb 15, 2022 2:07 PM

Oct 2021
I'll pilot any "mecha" from Date A Live
Feb 15, 2022 2:17 PM

Sep 2016
Jokes on you, my brain pilots a bone and flesh mecha rn.
bruh
Feb 15, 2022 2:18 PM

Jan 2022
Mirabem said:

{Gives The Nod} A Fellow Connoisseur
Feb 15, 2022 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
I'd pilot Exaxxion because this is the only realistic mecha that causes civilian casualties whenever it walks.
Feb 15, 2022 2:54 PM
Jul 2018
GN-005 Gundam Virtue Celestial Being
Feb 15, 2022 3:09 PM

Nov 2018
Grendizer_ said:
Mirabem said:

{Gives The Nod} A Fellow Connoisseur

I didn't know Grendizer himself was on this website. Respect.
Feb 15, 2022 3:37 PM

Jun 2014
A red Rick Dias, because they're just really cool to me for some reason.

Feb 15, 2022 3:54 PM

Jun 2017
Anything, as long as it has a drill arm.

Feb 15, 2022 5:16 PM

Dec 2020
Since I have only watched UC Gundam, I'll pick my Robots from it.

My pick would be the RX-77-2 Guncannon from the OYW

It's a mid-range support mobile suit that has heavy armor. I don't really like going into short-range fight so this MS suits me perfectly. As for the difficulty of using the Guncannon, I mean Kai Shiden who's not a trained pilot and not a Newtype (I think) can pilot it so why can't I?
Feb 15, 2022 7:13 PM

Aug 2020
...is it weird that despite loving mecha anime, I never once even thought about piloting one? I mean, they are ultimately war machines and I don't wanna be in a war and fighting on the frontlines D:

If I absolutely had to, hm. I have a soft spot for EEVA-LEENA because Candidate for Goddess was my first and I still consider them beautiful, and I liked the long-range capabilities of this particular Ingrid.

Feb 16, 2022 2:41 AM
Jul 2019
Turn X, so much flexibility its insane

Feb 16, 2022 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
alshu said:
VF-1 from Macross.

You better not scratch her, hotshot.
Feb 16, 2022 7:36 AM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
I would love to pilot RahXephon, but ima have to go with on of my favorite animes

Unit 01
Feb 16, 2022 7:40 AM

May 2018
Small = KG-6 Sleipnir
Big = Macross SDF-1

Feb 16, 2022 8:18 AM

Jun 2008
Probably anything from Turn A Gundam, Dunbine or G Reco because those shows have some of the coolest mechanical designs in history.
Feb 16, 2022 8:18 AM

Dec 2020
God Gundam or maybe Rayearth.

I'm probably not a good pilot myself either, so I'll go with something that could follow my movements instead of the one that requires me to pilot them like a normal mecha.

Gotta put my 1 week worth of martial arts learning experience I've got in highschool somehow lol.
Feb 16, 2022 11:38 AM

Jul 2017
Haven't seen further than Zeta, so I'd have to go with the Zeta Gundam itself.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 16, 2022 11:44 AM

Nov 2021
For me it's the Asshimar.
Amphibious Zeon suits are also pretty groovy.
Feb 16, 2022 11:53 AM

Jun 2015
Considering how much I relate to Max and the fact that he's my favorite fictional character of all time, it's got to be VF-1J Valkyrie Maximilian Jenius Custom from SDF Macross

Feb 16, 2022 1:44 PM

Jan 2022
Gundam_Sage said:
Probably anything from Turn A Gundam, Dunbine or G Reco because those shows have some of the coolest mechanical designs in history.

Mad respect for being able to like Turn A.

FUCK YEAH on the DUNBINE thing. Few people I see on MAL ever bring it up. Strangely my favorite from that show is the most basic Aura Battler, the one that Marvel Frozen piloted that is the Dana O' Shee [improperly EngRish subbed as "Thanatos" ??? in my DVD set from 20 years ago]

but was also fond of the Kingdom of Ku's Vierres

Of course everyone loves the Billbine and Dunbine itself.
Feb 16, 2022 2:45 PM

Mar 2021
Catalano said:
Mecha fans, what robot do you pilot?

I would probably choose the mecha that "Ligier Leroy" uses from "Space Battleship Tiramisu".

Mainly because it's likely to be very clean and probably smells good inside the cockpit as oppose to a male mecha that would likely be dirty inside and smell like total ass.
Feb 16, 2022 3:14 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Big O or Justice Gundam from Gundam Seed
Feb 16, 2022 4:08 PM

Feb 2016
Grendizer_ said:
Gundam_Sage said:

I never see anybody disliking ∀. I think most who have watched it agree that it is good. It's just that not many have watched it. 😐

FUCK YEAH on the DUNBINE thing. Few people I see on MAL ever bring it up.

I would like to give Dunbine a chance, but I don't know how to set my expectations for such an obscure show. Tomino is hit and miss.
その目だれの目?
Feb 16, 2022 4:42 PM

Jan 2022
Lucifrost said:
Grendizer_ said:

I never see anybody disliking ∀. I think most who have watched it agree that it is good. It's just that not many have watched it. 😐

FUCK YEAH on the DUNBINE thing. Few people I see on MAL ever bring it up.

I would like to give Dunbine a chance, but I don't know how to set my expectations for such an obscure show. Tomino is hit and miss.

I have admittedly only seen 2 eps of TURN A. I don't think it's a bad show from what I had seen, and the TURN A itself is an interesting concept. I just didn't DIG the mecha design overall. I think I just got "too used to" the more blocky GUNDAMS is all. ---for a Non U.C. show though, it was interesting and will at some point watch the whole thing. As for not speaking on GUNDAM, I meant overall, not just with TURN A. Up until the last 8 years or so, you couldn't bring up a convo or be somewhere and not hear GUNDAM or MACROSS brought up. I made my peace with the fact my favorite (VOTOMS) has always been niche... but now a days it's like only die hards and old heads ever really discuss GUNDAM or MACROSS. When I try to recommend either show, everyone I have met up to and including my 13 year old son just scoffs at them. Like "They don't do mecha" at all, or anything to do with space. I just can't wrap my head around that for some reason.

As for DUNBINE. It's the first Iseakai (from what I understand). The animation is 1983 old just like VOTOMS or MACROSS being from 1982... so it's rough by today's standards. But it's a good show IMO. It's a bit longer than it needs to be however. I remember when I went through it all in 2021 towards the final 12 eps even though I liked it, it was grating a bit, because stuff just got dragged out. So there is that. But the mecha desgins, the story with Byston Wells and different realms that cross ban frequencies with Earth... mecha powered by aura/spirit, and the whole bio/insect looking mecha is just nuts. I say it still holds up. If you don't want to sludge through all that, there is always the much shorter show of Wings of Ream that is the original books that became Aura Battler DUNBINE that was made into a anime more recently.

this guy does an alright overview on DUNBINE
Feb 16, 2022 5:22 PM

Feb 2016
Grendizer_ said:
but now a days it's like only die hards and old heads ever really discuss GUNDAM or MACROSS. When I try to recommend either show, everyone I have met up to and including my 13 year old son just scoffs at them. Like "They don't do mecha" at all, or anything to do with space.

I just want to let you know that this has been going on for far longer than you think. I generally "don't do mecha," nor does anyone else I know who's my own age. I'm far older than your children, but I'm not old enough to remember the 80s. The only mainstream mecha made since then are Evangelion and Michael Bay's movies.
その目だれの目?
Feb 16, 2022 5:45 PM

Jan 2022
Lucifrost said:

I just want to let you know that this has been going on for far longer than you think. I generally "don't do mecha," nor does anyone else I know who's my own age. I'm far older than your children, but I'm not old enough to remember the 80s. The only mainstream mecha made since then are Evangelion and Michael Bay's movies.

ROGER THAT

Seems to be the consensus. Mecha anime just kinda' fell out of flavor with most I guess. I'm the same way with "Slice of Life" stuff. Like I can do that genre, but don't really get it either. Anyhow, if you ever do get into DUNBINE I hope you like it.
Feb 16, 2022 6:01 PM

Mar 2021
Grendizer_ said:
Seems to be the consensus. Mecha anime just kinda' fell out of flavor with most I guess.

I can make a argument of the contrary here my friend.

There is the recent success of "86 Eighty-Six" that has gain much fanfare as of late. As well as recent seasonal titles such as "Rumble Garanndoll", "Sakugan", and "SSSS.Dynazenon".

This is on top of a recent success of mixing of Mecha with Isekai such as "Knight's & Magic". Even before this there was recently "Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar" back in the late 2000s.

Even "Darling in the FranXX" being almost a complete copy rip-off of "Neon Genesis Evangelion" has gained it's cult following.

Mecha has even reached the point of having great parodies such as "Space Battleship Tiramisu".

Mecha is still one of the top themed genres in the industry and is why it's still strong but it's just people in this community don't talk about it as much as Fanservice, Isekai, AoT, etc....
ColourWheelFeb 16, 2022 6:09 PM
Feb 16, 2022 6:03 PM

Jan 2022
ColourWheel said:

I can make a argument of the contrary here my friend.

There is the recent success of "86 Eighty-Six" that has gain much fanfare as of late. As well as recent seasonal titles such as "Rumble Garanndoll", "Sakugan", and "SSSS.Dynazenon".

This is on top of a recent success of mixing of Mecha with Isekai such as "Knight's & Magic"

Even "Darling in the FranXX" being almost a complete copy rip-off of "Neon Genesis Evangelion" has gained it's cult following.

Mecha has even reached the point of having great parodies such as "Space Battleship Tiramisu".

Mecha is still one of the top themed genres in the industry and is why it's still strong but it's just people in this community don't talk about it as much as 'Fanservice, Isekai, AoT, etc....

I'll have to look those up. (This is one of the reasons I joined MAL, to learn about stuff I don't know about). I'm behind on what's current. Current for me is often 2010 to present, and I'm still doing my backlog of stuff too. Thanks for clearing that up.
Feb 16, 2022 6:15 PM

Feb 2016
ColourWheel said:
people in this community don't talk about it as much as Fanservice, Isekai, AoT, etc....

I think that proves my point, if it's so much harder to find people talking about those mecha. I'm not arguing against their existence, I'm arguing against their popularity. I haven't even heard of all the titles you listed.
その目だれの目?
Feb 16, 2022 6:22 PM

Mar 2021
Lucifrost said:
ColourWheel said:
people in this community don't talk about it as much as Fanservice, Isekai, AoT, etc....

I think that proves my point, if it's so much harder to find people talking about those mecha. I'm not arguing against their existence, I'm arguing against their popularity. I haven't even heard of all the titles you listed.

The MAL community alone is not even a half of a fraction that exist of people who watch Anime. The active users on here don't even make up even a full percentage point that could theoretically represent anything meaningful. Just because you haven't heard of something before doesn't automatically make it some obscure Anime.
Feb 16, 2022 6:24 PM

Oct 2017
The Big O for super robots and Doms/MSN-04 Sazabi from Gundam. The ones In Votoms also look cool. I think I prefer more grounded stuff compared to super robots.

Honestly if we are just talking about giant robots in general despite the massive amount of mecha designs from anime nothing will beat out the designs of the Titan legions in 40k. Would trade them all to pilot an Imperator Class Titan. GW should contract Sunrise to adapt Titanicus.

Grendizer_ said:

Seems to be the consensus. Mecha anime just kinda' fell out of flavor with most I guess. I'm the same way with "Slice of Life" stuff. Like I can do that genre, but don't really get it either. Anyhow, if you ever do get into DUNBINE I hope you like it.

It has but as said 86 was decently popular last year and Frankxx was probably one of the biggest seasonals of 2018. Honestly there is an argument to be made that AOT has a lot of writing tropes common within a ton of mecha anime and that is incredibly popular.

It's never probably going to return to the Golden Years but I do see fans around my age some younger who are watching stuff like Gundam early mid 20s and that franchise is still going strong. I had a long aversion to the genre myself outside of a few select titles like FMP. Wasn't until I got back into anime again that I decided to give every genre a go that I found I enjoyed it as a whole. If you had more quality/well animated titles that came out that weren't tied to big franchises (Gundam) I think you could attract plenty of new and casual fans to the genre again.
BilboBaggins365Feb 16, 2022 6:38 PM
Feb 16, 2022 6:34 PM

Feb 2016
ColourWheel said:
Just because you haven't heard of something before doesn't automatically make it some obscure Anime.

But it does at least mean it falls short of Gundam at its peak. We can debate whether something like Sakugan is popular, but something like Demon Slayer or Star Wars leaves no room for doubt.
その目だれの目?
Feb 16, 2022 6:41 PM

Oct 2017
Lucifrost said:
Grendizer_ said:
but now a days it's like only die hards and old heads ever really discuss GUNDAM or MACROSS. When I try to recommend either show, everyone I have met up to and including my 13 year old son just scoffs at them. Like "They don't do mecha" at all, or anything to do with space.

Code Geass and Darling in the Frankxx were/still are incredibly mainstream in the community. Eureka Seven was pretty popular when I first got into anime in the late 2000s too though it's been mostly forgotten about (only a handful of popular seasonals do survive in the end though). Sure in large it's a niche genre these days but saying the only popular mecha anime made since the 80s was EVA is off. Again The Big O is forgotten about but that was a fairly popular title. Cartoon Network is the reason it got continued. Gundam Wing was popular with the Toonami generation.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - 4 hours ago

13 by Shirayukin »»
12 seconds ago

» Hentai Tags ( 1 2 )

HentaixxHunter - May 16, 2022

89 by Hikinekomori »»
11 minutes ago

» Would you support AI generated Anime?

Dragevard - 12 hours ago

35 by Piromysl »»
11 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

66 by Zimmu »»
14 minutes ago

» Endless eight and mental health concerns

trinitroglycerin - 9 hours ago

9 by BitChilly »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.