Forum Settings
Forums

Does a person's taste in anime say a lot about their personality ?

New
Jun 17, 2021 7:16 AM

Apr 2020
I am wondering if you've ever met people that have the same taste as you and realized that you both see life with the same perspective.

anime list favourites | slipfunc - stay the night
‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎krytm - away

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 17, 2021 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
You can kind of guess what the person is like based on their taste in anime. But you can be completely wrong at times.
Jun 17, 2021 7:26 AM
May 2020
Not really, can be wrong, but at least when a person has full of lolis on their favorite character list, that says a lot.
Jun 17, 2021 7:29 AM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
People's taste in any form of entertainment does, to some degree, say something about their personality, but I wouldn't say it "says a lot"

I'm curious what kind of personality someone would think I had just from my anime list, lol. Would their guess be spot on or completely off? Who knows?
My greatest contribution to this website:
Jun 17, 2021 7:34 AM

Jun 2021
To an extent, it may, but it does not at all be 100% accurate
Jun 17, 2021 7:35 AM

Mar 2015
Eh maybe in some cases but I don't think you should even try to deduce a persons personality simply from their taste in anime. For example, I love tons a very violent shows like JoJo or Invincible but I hate any form of altercations in real life.
Jun 17, 2021 7:39 AM
Oct 2020
Personally their taste in anything has to tell you something about their personality, maybe it's just me tho
Jun 17, 2021 7:51 AM

Jul 2020
To a certain extent but a lot of people have pretty broad taste. Im a huge Fate and AOT fan but I say I dislike action, I say I like isekai but think Re:zero is mid.

If someone only watches gory, dark anime and rates them all really high then they might be a bit edgy.

But just to test, i'd like to see someone go through my list and try and guess my personality.
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Jun 17, 2021 7:52 AM

Dec 2018
Not really. People who share the same values as shown in a certain anime will most likely enjoy it more than someone who has dissimilar values. So you might be able to deduct some of their personal values or beliefs off what they like, but that’s really it. It’d be impossible to gauge all their values and to figure out how they act on a day to day basis.
Jun 17, 2021 7:53 AM

May 2019
For me it would be yes because I choose most of my faves based on how it connects to me personally and I find it fitting with me. So I also expect the same when I see other people favorites.

Jun 17, 2021 7:53 AM

May 2018
"Does a person's taste in anime say a lot about their personality ?"

I think so...but analysing tastes is not an easy task. You need way more information than "your top 10 anime of all time", not to mention people tend to be biased towards other people's taste - "Oh, he/she likes/dislikes X, he/she must be an idiot!".

It's way easier and faster just to talk to this person.

"you've ever met people that have the same taste as you and realized that you both see life with the same perspective"

Never.
alshuJun 17, 2021 8:04 AM
Jun 17, 2021 7:54 AM
Jul 2018
i'd say it definitely does a little but not completely
Jun 17, 2021 8:01 AM

Mar 2021
Yes, if we don't have a similar taste in anime then your personality sucks
Anime is overrated
Jun 17, 2021 8:04 AM
Jul 2018
Nah. I watch a lot of shounen anime, but that isn't suggestive of me being an extrovert like the MCs. I'm social to a certain extent. But I'm mostly introverted.
Jun 17, 2021 8:04 AM

Nov 2020
Some of them yes and some of them are not. For me my taste is based on mood and interesting, like I want watch Romance, so I search it until I found the anime that make me interesting.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Jun 17, 2021 8:10 AM

Dec 2018
Yes. For instance, the kind of taste with blatantly serious and 'elitist' stigmatized anime pervading all the high ratings means you're insecure. As a not-so-accurate generalization, you can take this however you want. It's not something too condemnable or even irrational for someone to be concerned about what everyone would appear to disregard, taste. But it happens, and it happens a lot, subconsciously or not.

I've seen dudes from this site that I can immediately tell even before looking which anime is highly rated on their list, and this is even more applicable for film list. Though this has nothing to do with the point.
. . .
Jun 17, 2021 8:47 AM

Feb 2020

some kinda yes, some absolutely not.

i don't think we can generalize like that.
Jun 17, 2021 9:10 AM

May 2021
Well, I think you can make assumptions about the person personality based on the shows they like and dislike. But it doesn't mean that this person is actually like that.
Jun 17, 2021 9:31 AM

Nov 2016
You can't really generalize, but I would lie if I said I don't have prejudices whenever I see a user with the standard pretentious weeb starter pack favorites. His forum posts can reinforce my impressions.

There's also the LN novel guy with waifu's in his favorites who loves to shit on battle shounen xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 17, 2021 9:51 AM

May 2016
It literally says fuck all. Some consumption can sometimes be stratified by class (haute cuisine) and thus you can maybe you can draw some vacuous conclusions about how certain classes have certain traits by proxy of their privilege, but really for anime there's nothing reliable you can draw upon.
Jun 17, 2021 11:07 AM

Oct 2019
It definitely says something. Not everything, but you can kind of guess what type of person they are
Jun 17, 2021 12:25 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I think it's possible for one's taste to say something about them. Not always, but it can be possible.
For example, @Crow_Black and I have similar taste in anime and video games and we both have a somewhat depressing view on life lol
Jun 17, 2021 8:26 PM

Jan 2020
Maybe yes, maybe not. It probably depends on the anime and the person themselves

Jun 17, 2021 9:49 PM

Nov 2020
Yeah, if a person has some old anime in their favorites you can instantly tell they’re an old head
Jun 17, 2021 9:52 PM

Jul 2020
I don't think so because I love battle shounen and rom coms but I'm heavily introverted.
But I love characters that I relate to so it's impossible to generalize.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 17, 2021 9:57 PM
Jul 2018
Nope. I don't think that a person's anime taste says anything about their personality.
Jun 21, 2021 5:41 AM
Jul 2018
Probably yes but not accurate sometimes. Tastes may not apply, it depends.
Jun 21, 2021 1:51 PM

Jul 2015
Yeah, maybe, I like anime that may not be too popular because I like to do my own thing instead of what other people do, or watch, so I guess that may reflect my personality.
Jun 21, 2021 1:57 PM

Jan 2009
its not always the case obviously but ye the saying birds of a feather flock together applies
Jun 21, 2021 2:09 PM

Oct 2020
I think you can tell a little about the person but not anything deep. People often forget that context always plays a huge part in ones rating of a show, thats why some animes hit deep to some people and not for others
DinoPapiroJun 21, 2021 5:51 PM
Jun 21, 2021 2:12 PM

Feb 2016
I've been wondering about that for a very long time.
その目だれの目?
Jun 21, 2021 2:15 PM

Sep 2020
i think it just depends on the person, sometimes i can tell a little bit about them as a person by looking at their favorite anime, but sometimes i can't tell anything about them.
Jun 21, 2021 2:20 PM

Jul 2017
In some cases, I believe so. What someone’s taste definitely tells you above all, is the person’s interests.
Jun 21, 2021 5:10 PM

May 2021
I belive it does to a degree, rather than the actual taste though it's why they like a certain anime, which characters do they like, dislike, can relate too, these are things that can say a lot about someones personality, specificly parts of their personality that might not be so obvious
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Jun 21, 2021 5:17 PM

Mar 2020
I don't think so, yeah you can judge a person on their anime favorites, but your own biases play into it a lot.

If someone likes SAO, and you don't, you'll be like "This guy has a shit taste, therefore a shit person." meanwhile that person can have a completely different reason for liking it such as visuals or the concept or whatever.

So no, I don't think you can judge anyone based on their favorites.
Jun 21, 2021 5:23 PM
May 2018
Well, if your favorite anime are Boku no Pico and Shoujo Ramune, and if your favorite mangas are Geiger Counter, Mii inside the box and Emergence you are a weirdo and a pedophile so I guess a person's taste can say a few things about their personality yeah (Emergence is not loli/shota ikr but I wanted to add it here)
And don't ask me why I know these things O.o
Jun 21, 2021 5:27 PM

May 2021
Judevin said:
I don't think so, yeah you can judge a person on their anime favorites, but your own biases play into it a lot.

If someone likes SAO, and you don't, you'll be like "This guy has a shit taste, therefore a shit person." meanwhile that person can have a completely different reason for liking it such as visuals or the concept or whatever.

So no, I don't think you can judge anyone based on their favorites.

Interesting take, though i do want to clarify i don't think shit taste=shit personality, regardless if you like a specific anime or not, what's interesting to me, and this is from my own observations, is that certain types of people are attracted to certain types of stories and characters, that does not in any way mean they'll like every anime with that similar plot or that 2 similar people will like the exact same anime, but i guarantee you the basic story and character arcs of the 2 anime will be very similar even if told in completely different styels
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Jun 21, 2021 5:28 PM

May 2021
Idk it would be an interesting thing to do some sort of research about it crossing both anime taste and personality tests to see if there is a relation. As a more for fun thing, it would be also interesting to see if MBTI dumbass test and anime favorites have some sort of relation, like a clustering or some shit, but that would be a chore to do

Jun 21, 2021 5:34 PM

May 2021
ANTONIADE said:
Well, if your favorite anime are Boku no Pico and Shoujo Ramune, and if your favorite mangas are Geiger Counter, Mii inside the box and Emergence you are a weirdo and a pedophile so I guess a person's taste can say a few things about their personality yeah (Emergence is not loli/shota ikr but I wanted to add it here)

Couldn't agree more, i swear every time i see these types of anime/manga on someone's list i nearly barf...
Jun 21, 2021 5:40 PM

May 2021
ANTONIADE said:

why would somebody not like emergence, such influential piece of art and have a ton of good pannels that make me boom

Jun 21, 2021 5:43 PM

Nov 2015
I think maybe slightly as a heuristic, but only a pretty weak one. In my own experience, even fans of one particular anime can run a pretty broad spectrum of personalities, and certainly when you see that someone likes a bunch of different ones I don't think that tells you a ton about them.

I'm always cautious of things that claim to be able to predict a person's personality from just a few things about them, and I really don't think it works like that. People are too complex for that to actually work.
Risk something, take back what's yours
Say something they know they might attack you for.
--Linkin Park, "Hands Held High"
Jun 21, 2021 5:45 PM

Apr 2020
If you ever watched some Anime YouTubers you would already know that no, your taste does not define your personality.
Jun 21, 2021 5:54 PM
May 2018
Gween_Gween said:
ANTONIADE said:
Well, if your favorite anime are Boku no Pico and Shoujo Ramune, and if your favorite mangas are Geiger Counter, Mii inside the box and Emergence you are a weirdo and/or a pedophile so I guess a person's taste can say a few things about their personality yeah (Emergence is not loli/shota ikr I added it here only to fulfill my post)
And don't ask me why I know about these things O.o

why would somebody not like emergence, such influential piece of art and have a ton of good pannels that make me boom

You can like and appreciate Emergence, everyone can like what they want -it's freedom of expression and choice- as long as it doesn't hurt physically or mentally other people
Henshin have indeed good panels sometimes and criticize a lot of things in Japanese society (well not only, also things happening outside of Japan too) but if it's your favorite manga ever sorry dude but that's kinda weird and sus
Jun 21, 2021 6:02 PM
Jan 2021
Kii_Ibarra said:
People's taste in any form of entertainment does, to some degree, say something about their personality, but I wouldn't say it "says a lot"

I'm curious what kind of personality someone would think I had just from my anime list, lol. Would their guess be spot on or completely off? Who knows?

What the heck are Wario, Nah and Nowi doing on this page? Did Nintendo make an OVA or something?
Jun 21, 2021 6:04 PM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
RoyAlfertia21 said:
What the heck are Wario, Nah and Nowi doing on this page? Did Nintendo make an OVA or something?

Wario was in an educational OVA along with Mario and Kirby. He was also in a few Mario manga (and bizarrely also a Sonic the Hedgehog manga)

Nowi was in both the Fire Emblem Awakening manga anthology and the Fire Emblem Heroes webcomic, whereas Nah was just in the webcomic
My greatest contribution to this website:
Jun 21, 2021 6:08 PM

Sep 2020
Yes, for example if someone likes No Game No Life then they are probably a pedophile.
Jun 21, 2021 7:29 PM
Jul 2018
For most parts I'd say no. What matters for most parts is what they have to say about an anime since you can like or dislike a series for different aspects.
If they are like "this whiny pussy should grow some balls!" or if they only know black and white morality, it tells a lot for example.

So no, I don't think you can judge anyone based on their favorites.[/quote]
I mean, SAO is a bad example since it's for most parts as inoffensive as it gets... besides the rapey stuff, but I don't automatically expect a person who likes SAO to be turned on by it or think that the female characters deserve it.
The series itself portrays it as a bad thing, even if it's handled quite immature.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeJul 8, 2021 3:47 AM
Jun 21, 2021 8:57 PM

Jul 2014
On a superficial level, sure. Like, if someone's really into ecchi I'm gonna assume they're a sexual person on some level just like I can expect romance fans to generally be sentimental.
Take care of yourself

Jun 21, 2021 9:04 PM
Jul 2018
Maybe yes, personality plays a huge role here but personal feelings are also important
Jun 21, 2021 9:14 PM

Mar 2021
Using a metric based on a personal taste when it comes to anime can't really be quantified... But if all a person is watching is "Hentai", then there is an extremely high probability they are a complete pervert. lol
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

64 by LostSpectre »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

32 by Dauphine »»
5 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

8 by mizukasa »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

3 by LostSpectre »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

63 by EpicO4 »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.