Forum Settings
Forums

'Mawaru Penguindrum' Receives Compilation Film

New
Mar 31, 2021 9:29 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

The official Twitter account of Kunihiko Ikuhara's Mawaru Penguindrum (Penguindrum) anime series announced a compilation film on Wednesday, commemorating its 10th anniversary. The film, titled Re:cycle of the Penguindrum, will reconstruct all 24 episodes and feature new scenes. Original character designer Lily Hoshino drew an illustration to celebrate the announcement (pictured above).

Ikuhara (Shoujo Kakumei Utena, Sarazanmai) is directing the film at animation studio Lapin Track (Uchi Tama?! Uchi no Tama Shirimasen ka?). Lily Hoshino (Tsukumogami Kashimasu) is returning as the original character designer. Brain's Base is credited for the television anime's production.

The 10th anniversary project is also launching a crowdfunding campaign on April 8 at 7:00 p.m. JST (6:00 a.m. EST), aiming to raise 10 million yen (approximately US$90,500). The fund will be spent to improve the quality of the new scenes, sound, and music. The supporters will receive merchandise, bonus items, and be featured in the ending credit of the film.

Ikuhara helmed and co-wrote the original psychological mystery drama anime with Takayo Ikami (Yuri Kuma Arashi, Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru) in Summer 2011. Terumi Nishii (JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai) designed the characters, and Yukari Hashimoto (Sankarea) composed the music.

Sentai Filmworks licensed the anime series in North America and released it on two home video installments in December 2012 and March 2013.

Synopsis
For the Takakura family, destiny is an ever-spinning wheel, pointing passionately in their direction with equal tides of joy and sorrow before ticking on to the next wishmaker. With their parents gone, twin brothers Kanba and Shouma live alone with their beloved little sister Himari, whose poor health cannot decline any further.

On the day Himari is given permission to temporarily leave the hospital, her brothers take her out to the aquarium to celebrate, where the family's supposed fate is brought forth with her sudden collapse. However, when Himari is inexplicably revived by a penguin hat from the aquarium's souvenir shop, the hand of fate continues to tick faithfully forward.

With her miraculous recovery, though, comes a cost: there is a new entity within her body, whose condition for keeping her fate at bay sends the boys on a wild goose chase for the mysterious "Penguin Drum." In their search, the boys will have to follow the threads of fate leading from their own shocking past and into the lives of other wishmakers vying for the Penguin Drum, all hoping to land upon their chosen destiny. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Official site: https://penguindrum10th.jp/
Official Twitter: @penguindrum
Crowdfunding campaign site: https://ubgoe.com/projects/20/

Source: Anime! Anime!

Re:cycle of the Penguindrum on MAL
VindstotApr 9, 2021 12:21 PM

Mar 31, 2021 9:35 AM

Jul 2019
Haven't even watched the first one still. Dunno if this is hype or not but I will get to watching this soon.
Mar 31, 2021 9:35 AM

Aug 2019
interesting, haven’t checked the original anime out but I wonder if this’ll be good alternative to the series; probably not now that I think about how there is no way they can condense 8 hours worth of content into a movie slot
Mar 31, 2021 9:57 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Haven't watched the series yet myself as well but this is a nice surprise. Definitely the push I'll be needing to finally give this a shot!

Congratulations to fans of the series!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 31, 2021 10:18 AM

Apr 2012
So they will just re-sell the original show as a big recap with new episodes? Who knows better than me if Utena did the same or not?
Mar 31, 2021 10:19 AM

Jun 2020
How the hell do they plan on compiling an anime like that into a movie?
Mar 31, 2021 10:21 AM

Apr 2012
VanishingKira said:
Pretty much what I expected when I saw the countdown posted on Penguindrum's official twitter. I guess this will motivate me to rewatch Penguindrum soon since the movie will likely be loosely based/a different interpretation on the series like what Ikuhara did with Adolescence of Utena.

I have wanted to watch this anime for a long time, but when I found out that the LN sequel dramatically changes some accents (or supposedly changes it), it noticeably lowered my motivation.
Mar 31, 2021 10:47 AM

Dec 2018
This was really unexpected but I’m hyped as fuck!
Mar 31, 2021 11:35 AM

Dec 2009
I mostly just remember hating the ending/ship at this point.
Mar 31, 2021 12:06 PM

Jan 2013
Might be worth watching for the new scenes. Other than that I don't see much point.
Original series was great though, you should all watch it.
Mar 31, 2021 12:43 PM

May 2015
Hmm... not really interested in this Re:cycle movie. I will just watch the original if I feel like watching it again.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Mar 31, 2021 1:19 PM

Jan 2015
Meh, didn’t really like Mawaru Penguindrum but I will still watch the movies. I wish Ikuhara would write new stuff and leave the old ones to the past
Mar 31, 2021 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
I own this show's Blu-ray. One of my favorites. Even compilation, I'm very glad this news. Seizon Senryaku! :D
Mar 31, 2021 2:33 PM

Sep 2011
Weird choice. I can't imagine that this story will condense well into a single movie. It's already packed as it is.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Mar 31, 2021 2:45 PM

Apr 2013
series was really fun to watch, but I'm not sure about a movie recap tbh... I like the crowdfunding initiative to make scenes better btw. I wish some ln adaptation that didn't have enough funds to animate scenes fluidly would have tried the same. If it didn't work then nothing would have been lost.
Mar 31, 2021 2:49 PM

Oct 2010
I will watch it but I hope it won't confuse me more, the series was already incomprehensible but fun to watch
Mar 31, 2021 3:02 PM
Sep 2018
To those who haven’t watched it yet,watch it! It is a mindf but a really good one. It’s amazing how it’s ten years since it was aired!
Mar 31, 2021 4:00 PM

Feb 2019
Maybe this movie will get the Adolescence Mokushiroku treatment to put a fresh spin on the story, that would be nice.
Mar 31, 2021 5:56 PM

Dec 2010
Mr_Srijan said:
How the hell do they plan on compiling an anime like that into a movie?
knowing ikuhara itll be completely different from the series
Mar 31, 2021 7:40 PM

Jun 2015
Having serious doubts to expect anything widely different like with Adolescence of Utena.

That Utena movie never has been considered a compilation, and if everything was different you wouldn't mention "new scenes will be added". It seems more of a case of needing to cut, rearrenge and ultimately modify things to make it fit a movie format.
Mar 31, 2021 8:00 PM

Aug 2010
I miss this show so much, this is such a pleasant surprise!
Mar 31, 2021 8:59 PM

Apr 2020
good
because i finished watching it when i was sleepy

Apr 1, 2021 12:51 AM

Aug 2015
I'm so excited for this!!!
I love Mawaru Penguindrum so much >o<
Apr 1, 2021 10:35 PM
Nov 2014
Aw that's too bad you need to be a Japanese resident to donate. This is one of the few crowdfundings I would be willing to put my money towards! I'll definitely be looking forward to the movie regardless!!
Apr 2, 2021 2:16 AM

Nov 2013
Something you don't need but you watch it anyway.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 1 hour ago

4 by nec0_0 »»
1 hour ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

7 by malvarez1 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Kushna »»
4 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.