Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 25, 2021 3:15 PM

Nov 2019
Im going to take a guess and say that this has been asked multiple times but help a fellow weeb out.
I have one question.

How do I watch Fate?

No honestly, the best I've come up with after hours of research was

1. Fate Zero
2. Fate UBW ufotable
3. Fate Heavens Feel Trilogy ufotable
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 25, 2021 3:17 PM
Apr 2013
Yes. This has been asked hundreds of times.

In my opinion it is still best to first read the original VN, and play all three routes, before watching Fate/Zero. After those two you should have a good understanding of the story and are free to continue in the way you please.
Jan 25, 2021 3:17 PM

Jun 2020
Is Fate Stay/Night a good introduction to the Fate franchise? I've heard that Zero would spoil the UBW and HF, and UBW isn't a good introduction. So is S/N a good introduction or is it the unenjoyable adaptation?
Jan 25, 2021 3:18 PM
Sep 2018
Watch Zero, Then UBW, then Extra, then Grand Order: Babylonia

If you really like the UBW characters, then watch Emiya-san and maybe Prisma Illya

Then, if you watch Tsukihime, you can watch Carnival Phantasm
Jan 25, 2021 3:19 PM

Apr 2020
Fate/Stay Night VN ---> Hollow Ataraxia

beep boop bop pow
Jan 25, 2021 3:21 PM

Jan 2017

GoZha said:
Is Fate Stay/Night a good introduction to the Fate franchise? I've heard that Zero would spoil the UBW and HF, and UBW isn't a good introduction. So is S/N a good introduction or is it the unenjoyable adaptation?

Fate/Stay Night 2006 is the best introduction to the Serie, but a lot of person don't like it.
You can try to start with Zero, but it's not how it was meant to be watched, as it expect you to already know the lore.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Jan 25, 2021 3:21 PM

Dec 2018
lajz said:
Im going to take a guess and say that this has been asked multiple times but help a fellow weeb out.
I have one question.

How do I watch Fate?

1. Fate Zero
2. Fate UBW ufotable

I checked your profile so just watch stuff you mention, Carnival Phantasm or Prisma Illya etc can dystroy enjoyment for you.
Jan 25, 2021 3:23 PM

Nov 2019
ReegrezSNK said:
lajz said:
I have one question.

How do I watch Fate?

1. Fate Zero
2. Fate UBW ufotable

I checked your profile so just watch stuff you mention, Carnival Phantasm or Prisma Illya etc can dystroy enjoyment for you.

I take it my way was right? Thank you for confirming
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Jan 25, 2021 3:23 PM
Sep 2020
dont watch it, fate is garbage, please dont
Attack on titan final arc makes game of throne season 8 look like a MASTERPIECE.

isayama is fucking incompetent clown
Jan 25, 2021 3:27 PM

Dec 2020
Pro tip: don't start with Fate/Zero
It's a good introduction to the world,however if you care about spoilers you probably shouldn't watch it first since it spoils a lot of backstory and mystery for the rest of the series.

and just play the VN if you have a little 100 hours to spare.
CLADDANJan 25, 2021 3:32 PM
Jan 25, 2021 3:27 PM

Jun 2020
Alexioos95 said:

GoZha said:

Fate/Stay Night 2006 is the best introduction to the Serie, but a lot of person don't like it.
You can try to start with Zero, but it's not how it was meant to be watched, as it expect you to already know the lore.
Appreciated. Thank you for the answer
Jan 25, 2021 4:22 PM

Jun 2020
Most people shit on 2006 Fate Stay Night, but i believe it's the best way to start.

-By the way, after you're familiar with the universe, i reccomend you check out Apocrypha and Lord El Melloi II too. Especially the latter, since it's a sequel to Fate/Zero.

-Unless you really like fanservice, i don't reccomend the Prisma Illya series.

-Lastly, i strongly reccomend you see the Prisma Illya movie at some point, because unlike the series it doesn't have fanservice and has a way more serious plot. Also it's a prequel to the series, so the only thing you really need to watch to understand this movie is Fate/Zero.
Jan 25, 2021 4:30 PM

Sep 2020
lajz said:
I have one question.

How do I watch Fate?

1. Fate Zero
2. Fate UBW ufotable

It's the ideal watch order imo. Though Fate/Zero might spoil a few things, fate/stay night 2006 is such a horrible adaptation that after finishing it, you'll probably give up on fate. People die when they are killed, y'know?

the ost is great though ill give em that
swag
Jan 25, 2021 4:32 PM

Oct 2018
Fate 2006
Fate Zero
Fate UBW
Fate Heaven's Feel

simple as that
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 25, 2021 4:52 PM

Jul 2017
Just watch Prisma Illya. The rest is fanservice.

Jan 25, 2021 4:55 PM

Jan 2018
lajz said:
I have one question.

How do I watch Fate?

1. Fate Zero
2. Fate UBW ufotable

Jupp.
That is correct

Tho put in the regular fate stay night as well

The spins offs are pretty much irrelevant and drop in quality quite hard

You only need the OG fate routes and the urobuchi prequel.
Jan 25, 2021 4:55 PM

Nov 2018
I'd recommend you check out the Fate guide I made (with all entries available): https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1866055

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jan 25, 2021 5:09 PM
Nov 2020
in my opinion, its better to watch Fate Zero then Fate UBW, after that you can just watch whatever you want in Fate.
for the VN, i dont really reccomend it that much. The Sprites are not that good (its quite old for a VN), but feel free to play or watch it nonetheless
Jan 25, 2021 5:13 PM

Jan 2017
Just go with whatever order you want. There's no right order to watch anything, and unlike stuff like Monogatari, Fate doesn't really have a universally agreed upon watch order. If you're really dedicated to getting into the franchise, then I guess you can follow the advice of the diehards who have already and undoubtedly will continue to just tell you to play the visual novel, but in my personal opinion, I think your order is your best bet to getting the most out of Fate. Fate/Zero is without a doubt in my mind the best part of the series, and if you like Zero, you'll likely have some appreciation for UBW and even more so Heaven's Feel, whereas if you start with anything else, you might well be turned away from the series and miss Zero which is a damn shame.
Jan 25, 2021 5:17 PM

Mar 2018
If you want to get into Fate and care about the lore, then yep! Zero --> UBW --> HF is the way to go. If you want to get deeper into the Fate series after that, then you can go for it. But this is the basic way to start, and I'd personally suggest it :>
Jan 25, 2021 5:33 PM

Jan 2015
Go to this thread for detail
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1286059

In summary, there are 3 route you can take:

Where do I start?
Choose one of these options to get into the series:

Anime-only: UBW anime -> HF movies -> Fate/Zero. Go with this order if you want to only experience the Fate series in anime form. However, you won't be getting the complete Fate/Stay Night experience because there is no good anime adaption of the Fate route. The Fate route is mainly Saber's story while also serving as an introduction and worldbuilding route. Although, it's not entirely necessary to read the Fate route first, so if you don't want to take the plunge into VNs, the UBW anime is your next best way to start the series.

Intended: Fate route of the VN -> UBW anime -> HF movies -> Fate/Zero. Go with this order if you prefer to experience the series as it was intended with the first route of the VN, and experiencing the rest in anime form. The Fate route is roughly 12 hours long and is the ideal introduction to the series. It also seems like ufotable intends for people to play the Fate route before watching their UBW adaption by advertising that the route is free for smartphones (japan only) at the bottom of their website. It's widely agreed that the VN has a very slow start, but I assure you once it picks up you'll have trouble trying to put it down.

Brave: Entire F/SN visual novel -> Fate/Zero -> UBW anime -> HF movies. I recommend this order if you just can't wait at all for the adaptions or prefer to experience F/SN in it's original, uncut form. With the full story being available to you but having to wait until the end of Spring 2015 for UBW to finish, and who knows how long for all the HF movies to be completed, and then finally getting to watch Fate/Zero, I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up going with this order when you originally were following one of the other options. You also get to see how well ufotable adapts the story and don't get to miss out on all the things that were cut. Just be prepared to spend 50+ hours as it is a very long VN, but it's definitely worth every second.

Jan 25, 2021 5:40 PM

Sep 2020
fate zero---> fate stay night or fate ubw or fate hf, watch what ever fate u want to watch after that

[Violet X Amy]

[VioletteloiV X squished_lemon]

Jan 25, 2021 6:38 PM

Sep 2014
I've been asking this question for over a decade now and the more time passes, the less I understand this.

I'm searching to only watch Grand/Order yet I don't even know where to start with this one.
Jan 25, 2021 6:42 PM

Nov 2019
Hrybami said:
I've been asking this question for over a decade now and the more time passes, the less I understand this.

I'm searching to only watch Grand/Order yet I don't even know where to start with this one.

I feel you. Forgot the spin offs. Just watch it how i listed then watch any other fate series after in no particular order
Jan 25, 2021 6:43 PM

Oct 2018
Hrybami said:

Fate 2006 then Fate Zero then Unlimited Blade Works then Heaven's Feel. After you watch those you can literally watch the spin offs like Grand Order, Last Encore, etc in any order you want hopefully this help.
Jan 25, 2021 6:47 PM

Sep 2014
Adimus_prime said:
Hrybami said:

Fate 2006 then Fate Zero then Unlimited Blade Works then Heaven's Feel. After you watch those you can literally watch the spin offs like Grand Order, Last Encore, etc in any order you want hopefully this help.

I've only seen Zero and didn't like it. I was thinking about only watching the spin-offs since they strangely look better than the main series. Maybe I should try UBW then.

Thanks big fat voluptuous round anime tiddies boy.
Jan 25, 2021 6:59 PM

Sep 2016
The only right answer is: watch everything in broadcast order, you pleb.

Curiously works with all franchises.
There are just plebs around the internet trying to be alternative by advicing wrong watch orders D:
bruh
Jan 25, 2021 7:05 PM
Oct 2019
Nefelupitou said:
Fate 2006
Fate Zero
Fate UBW
Fate Heaven's Feel

simple as that

That's, like, the worst watch order IMO. Start with the mediocre one and then go with the prequel that will spoil the other two? Could you elaborate?
Jan 25, 2021 7:08 PM

Oct 2018
a2falcone said:
Nefelupitou said:
Fate 2006
Fate Zero
Fate UBW
Fate Heaven's Feel

simple as that

That's, like, the worst watch order IMO. Start with the mediocre one and then go with the prequel that will spoil the other two? Could you elaborate?

That's the release order and it won't spoiler anything.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 25, 2021 7:23 PM

Oct 2018
Hrybami said:
Adimus_prime said:

I've only seen Zero and didn't like it. I was thinking about only watching the spin-offs since they strangely look better than the main series. Maybe I should try UBW then.

Thanks big fat voluptuous round anime tiddies boy.
Your Welcome. Also I am 18 years old. I am Big Fat Voluptuous Round Anime Tiddies Man XD.
Jan 25, 2021 7:24 PM

Apr 2020
can someone please tell me why ANYONE would watch fate zero after UBW
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2021 7:33 PM

Jan 2016
S/N > UBW > HF is the intended order from the vn. Zero can be watched literally anytime after S/N. Everything else is basically standalone. Mind as well just go with production order since that's how the majority of people have experienced it at this point.
Jan 25, 2021 7:36 PM

Apr 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:

I need to know, too. Never understood why some people recommend this.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Jan 25, 2021 7:39 PM

Feb 2019
Which one do I play first? and how are these different from the 2004 version? The only fate I have ever really watched was prisma, so I'm a beginner.
Jan 25, 2021 7:48 PM

Sep 2020
yaruka said:
Which one do I play first? and how are these different from the 2004 version? The only fate I have ever really watched was prisma, so I'm a beginner.

Fate>UBW>HF

The 2004 version has hentai scenes while Realta Nua has slightly updated graphics and more OSTs, but doesn't have hentai scenes (though anyone who reads F/SN for the hentai is clearly reading it for the wrong reason)

AcD4c said:
Kenzolo-folk said:

I need to know, too. Never understood why some people recommend this.

Because Fate/Stay Night came out before Fate/Zero did and thus Fate/Zero spoils major parts of Fate/Stay Night (especially Heaven's Feel).

Kiwii_121 said:

Then, if you watch Tsukihime, you can watch Carnival Phantasm

What are you talking about? There is no Tsukihime anime
Now the Tsukihime manga on the other hand is excellent. I highly recommend it if you want to get the jokes from Carnival Phantasm.
NekoArc666Jan 25, 2021 7:55 PM
Jan 25, 2021 7:54 PM

Feb 2019
ArcueidBestGirl said:
yaruka said:

Fate>UBW>HF

The 2004 version has hentai scenes while Realta Nua has slightly updated graphics and more OSTs, but doesn't have hentai scenes (though anyone who reads F/SN for the hentai is clearly reading it for the wrong reason)

I see, so Realta Nua changes shit then. but you recommend starting with Realta Nua?
Jan 25, 2021 7:59 PM

Sep 2020
yaruka said:
ArcueidBestGirl said:

Fate>UBW>HF

I see, so Realta Nua changes shit then. but you recommend starting with Realta Nua?

In terms of story I imagine they are both the same(maybe some translation differences here and there, but nothing too out of place). I don't think it matters too much which one you start with. Since it looks like you already downloaded Realta Nua, you should probably stick with it.
Jan 25, 2021 8:13 PM

Aug 2018
just watch loli yuri things in fate ilya prisma and thats it.
still having great time with my stuff
Jan 25, 2021 8:17 PM

Aug 2009
What's wrong with just watching in release order and figuring out the timeline as you go along?

Jan 25, 2021 8:20 PM

Dec 2018
Watch Zero since it’s the only good one and then skip the rest.
Jan 25, 2021 8:26 PM

Apr 2019
Zero is the only good one, UBW is meh. 2006 ubw is DEF no. Haven't watched Ilya so idk about that.

Jan 25, 2021 8:27 PM
Jan 2012
This is how I recommend people watch the Fate series

1. Start with one of the Fate/Stay Night series that isn't Heaven's Feel, either the 2006 Fate/Stay Night, or UBW if you don't plan on watching the 2006 version
2. Watch Fate/Zero afterwards
3. Watch the rest of the Fate/Stay Nights that you haven't seen but plan to
4. Then watch Kara no Kyoukai and realize it's better
Jan 25, 2021 10:59 PM

Jul 2019
Follow the release order but skip Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blades Works movie (2010) by Studio Deen
Jan 25, 2021 11:01 PM

Aug 2019
@BerZzzerk would probably know, he's super knowledgable.
Jan 25, 2021 11:16 PM

Feb 2019
hizaqw_1 said:
just watch loli yuri things in fate ilya prisma and thats it.

This is a decent course of action. You can watch the rest if you liked it I guess.
Jan 26, 2021 12:02 AM

Oct 2010
watch Carnival Phantasm, it's 10 times better than Fate
Jan 26, 2021 12:16 AM

Jan 2021
i watched fate/stay night (2006)
then fate zero
then fate/stay night UBW
then fate/stay night Heaven's Feel
then fate/Grand order (optional)
then Carnival Phantasm (optional but it's a good laugh)
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Jan 26, 2021 12:21 AM

Apr 2015
Elyts said:
Go to this thread for detail
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1286059

In summary, there are 3 route you can take:

Where do I start?
Choose one of these options to get into the series:

Anime-only: UBW anime -> HF movies -> Fate/Zero. Go with this order if you want to only experience the Fate series in anime form. However, you won't be getting the complete Fate/Stay Night experience because there is no good anime adaption of the Fate route. The Fate route is mainly Saber's story while also serving as an introduction and worldbuilding route. Although, it's not entirely necessary to read the Fate route first, so if you don't want to take the plunge into VNs, the UBW anime is your next best way to start the series.

Intended: Fate route of the VN -> UBW anime -> HF movies -> Fate/Zero. Go with this order if you prefer to experience the series as it was intended with the first route of the VN, and experiencing the rest in anime form. The Fate route is roughly 12 hours long and is the ideal introduction to the series. It also seems like ufotable intends for people to play the Fate route before watching their UBW adaption by advertising that the route is free for smartphones (japan only) at the bottom of their website. It's widely agreed that the VN has a very slow start, but I assure you once it picks up you'll have trouble trying to put it down.

Brave: Entire F/SN visual novel -> Fate/Zero -> UBW anime -> HF movies. I recommend this order if you just can't wait at all for the adaptions or prefer to experience F/SN in it's original, uncut form. With the full story being available to you but having to wait until the end of Spring 2015 for UBW to finish, and who knows how long for all the HF movies to be completed, and then finally getting to watch Fate/Zero, I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up going with this order when you originally were following one of the other options. You also get to see how well ufotable adapts the story and don't get to miss out on all the things that were cut. Just be prepared to spend 50+ hours as it is a very long VN, but it's definitely worth every second.

Just like the Visual Novel, it also has three routes.
Jan 26, 2021 12:31 AM

Jun 2020
As I have always said - Watch EVERYTHING in RELEASE ORDER.

The real question is whether to watch the 2006 adaptation or not. Many people will say don't. I saw it and personally I liked it. Maybe coz back then I was new to anime but still I thought it was good. And tbh the only thing UBW was good at was the animation and a few ost. The characters in UBW are annoying af. The only thing absolutely outstanding in the franchise is Fate Zero. That is in a whole other league. Haven't yet seen the Heavens feel movies.
Jan 26, 2021 9:15 AM

Feb 2019
I like how most of this thread is folk proving they know nothing about Fate.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 3 hours ago

18 by logopolis »»
11 seconds ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 2 hours ago

12 by Nirinbo »»
2 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

31 by SgtBateMan »»
3 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

5 by Vaturna »»
3 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 47 minutes ago

4 by SgtBateMan »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.