Forum Settings
Forums

Do You Even Watch Anime For Entertainment Anymore?

New
Do You Even Watch Anime For Entertainment Anymore?
Oct 26, 2020 3:37 PM

Jan 2019
The longer i've been in this community, the more i see hardcore fans and what you'll call "completionists" where they never ever drop an anime. As time goes on, I wonder, do people even watch anime for entertainment anymore? What i mean by that is how some might not even watch anime for entertainment or to past the time, but rather as an obligation or "job", if that's a good example. I've seen so many people on Mal torturing themselves and forcing themselves to watch shit shows they don't even enjoy, complaining about it, yet never drop it for whatever reason, which is just so bizarre to me.

It's not like i'm trying to ridicule these types of people nor am i that annoyed of them but i'm just trying to understand what's the point of wasting your time? Not only that but i've seen these types of people actually brag about never dropping an anime as if it's cool or something which could either mean they're extremely lucky or the more likely "completionist".
PetrichoJan 27, 2021 4:27 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 26, 2020 3:39 PM
Jun 2020
My entertainment is shitting on them, so in a sense, yes.
Oct 26, 2020 3:42 PM

Mar 2020
Nope, i believe that the only anime that is for entertainment is comedy genre, every other anime (if it’s good) has qualities that make it interesting and rewarding to watch.
Oct 26, 2020 3:43 PM

Jan 2009
thats just the vocal minority if you check the poll results on episode discussion threads that are full of haters you will see the polls have more people enjoying the episode anyway
Oct 26, 2020 3:44 PM

Aug 2016
I always drop anything that fails at being at least mildly entertaining or making me curious to see what happens next.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Oct 26, 2020 3:50 PM
Jul 2020
Absolutely. Entertainment is, in fact, the only reason why I watch anime.
Oct 26, 2020 3:51 PM

Aug 2010
Eventhough I still hardly ever drop a show, I still take it as entertainment. For me, even shitty show are experience and they make me appreciate good shows even more. Do I suffer? Yes. But sometimes it can be rewarding, I've been finding lately that mana shows get better in the second half so it's worth a wait. And if not... well, no loss. It just helps me be more careful when picking what to watch next.
Oct 26, 2020 3:52 PM

Aug 2013
I am one of the people that watches shows I hate and I've stopped dropping. I watch shows I think I'd like for entertainment and always a couple of seasonals I know will be bad (isekai/horror etc.) because they let me turn of my brain and relax. I really love to hate those kinds of shows
Oct 26, 2020 3:58 PM

Oct 2020
I watch anime for entertainment, always trying to have zero expectation going into an anime. Unless you're a critic, there's no point watching anime just to point flaws and force yourself to finish it just to talk bad about it.
Oct 26, 2020 3:58 PM
Jul 2018
Why drop when you can just fast forward or do something else while the series plays?

Streaming sites have devalued anime so much you can glimpse at dozens of them in few days
Oct 26, 2020 4:02 PM
May 2015
I'm sorry to say this but there's something wrong with you if you only watch anime just to fill up your completed list. It's a hobby at the end of the day, not a job so people shouldn't treat it like they're filling a quota or some shit.

Oct 26, 2020 4:04 PM

Nov 2019
Yes and no

I watch anime for entertainment and for the lessons I learn within them.

I also watch anime because I no longer seek anything in this world, my only purpose now is to update my anime list

Oct 26, 2020 4:05 PM

Sep 2020
while i definitely hate leaving things unfinished im very much okay with leaving a show if i dont vibe with it. if it's not entertaining its not worth my time unless im watching it with or for someone i care about.
Oct 26, 2020 8:03 PM

Oct 2019
I watch for entertainment but also for analyzing atmosphere, worldbuilding, and aesthetic which I value in creative works in general.
Oct 26, 2020 8:07 PM

Oct 2017
Contrary to what people like to parroting like escapism or politics or crap like that, entertaiment is the only reason I watch anime

Oct 26, 2020 8:11 PM
Sep 2020
WELL, anime is the only source of entertainment *for* me
sickbladesOct 26, 2020 8:27 PM
Oct 26, 2020 8:30 PM

Sep 2014
It's usually the opposite tho. Some people love anime so much they don't want to drop anything and are willing to watch everything.

Yeah those people definitely are the one who are enjoying the most the anime they watch.
Oct 26, 2020 8:41 PM

Oct 2019
If I'm not entertained by or enjoying an anime, I won't watch it. Simple as that. To me, that's the only reason to watch anything in the first place.
Oct 26, 2020 8:41 PM

Jun 2016
If you can't understand it without an explanation, you can't understand it with an explanation.
Oct 26, 2020 8:43 PM

Mar 2020
Sometimes I do question if I watch anime for entertainment but at the end of the day, yes, I do watch anime for entertainment.
made by Nate
Oct 26, 2020 9:38 PM

Jan 2020
Yes, I do. I even enjoy watching the shows that I don't enjoy, if it makes any sense.
Oct 26, 2020 9:51 PM
Jul 2018
If you see the amount of anime I dropped, then yes I watch anime for entertainment purposes.

I don't see the point of forcing myself to finish something that I don't like. I rather do other stuff with my time.
Oct 26, 2020 9:53 PM

Nov 2018
Sorry,I don't have any clear evidence for now.
But yeah,it helps me to overcome my solitude.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Oct 26, 2020 11:01 PM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
Even though I never drop anime I still watch it for entertainment, what else for would I be watching it?
Oct 26, 2020 11:26 PM

Dec 2012
Yes, unless you're a masochist or have an OCD, then completionism is something you just grow out eventually. Dropping what you don't like saves you from a lot of headaches and frustration and is generally a more efficient and logical way of doing things. Entertainment should be fun, not some type chore you have to do.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Oct 26, 2020 11:28 PM
Jul 2018
Of course I watch anime for entertainment if I don't like something I drop it
Oct 26, 2020 11:32 PM

Nov 2019
Just because I rate something low it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. Not everyone rates based on enjoyment, OP.

And to answer your question: Yes, I do watch anime for entertainment.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Oct 26, 2020 11:32 PM
Aug 2020
If I didnt find an alluring aspect about the anime, why would i even watch it in the first place. I literally have 20 seasons of 15+ different anime i plan to watch and I can barely decide what to watch hahha. Ofc i will choose the one that i feel like i will enjoy watching.

I say that even though i don't even watch alot. Only trash slice of life rom com isekais for me >.<
Didn't even watch AOT, MHA, Demon slayer and stuff caz fk it i like my rom coms more like renting girlfriend and hensuki lol.

I have only dropped 1 anime out of pure no enjoyment, some i just drop cause i got busy and forget i was in the middle of a season lol.
Oct 26, 2020 11:53 PM

Jul 2012
I mostly watch anime for entertainment, but I also watch anime to understand what's been happening, & I give my thoughts to it. I would even possibly write a review as an essay if I'm interested enough to write one, & I had to take an English class in college to basically enhance my viewing experience.
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://dawnhibiki.carrd.co/

Mirishita ID: L3N93SKX
Discord: DawnHibiki #6454
Oct 27, 2020 12:04 AM

Aug 2016
I much rather watch animated shows than non-animated. Also any excuse for me to mess with my spreadsheet with more data gets me off.
Oct 27, 2020 1:54 PM

Feb 2020
Bust a nut to an anime girl getting pounded by 3 slugs is entertainment? If it is, then im in.
Oct 27, 2020 1:56 PM

Oct 2020
If it ain't fun then what's the point lol
Oct 27, 2020 1:57 PM

Oct 2019
Nope I just like fucking with people on Twitter
I see dead people
Oct 27, 2020 1:59 PM

Sep 2015
Of course, sometimes you find an anime that is shit, moist shit or toxic shit, but watching it to an end is not always for completionism, maybe you have a sheer hope it will turn good (spoiler alert: it won't).
Oct 27, 2020 2:08 PM

Mar 2014
Rarely do I find a series that I don't like so much that I drop it so I can say that I don't really torture myself.
Oct 27, 2020 2:13 PM

Nov 2016
Just be grateful that you aren't like that.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 27, 2020 3:26 PM
Nov 2018
Lustrius said:
The longer i've been in this community, the more i see hardcore fans and what you'll call "completionists" where they never ever drop an anime. As time goes on, I wonder, do people even watch anime for entertainment anymore? What i mean by that is how some might not even watch anime for entertainment or to past the time, but rather as an obligation or "job", if that's a good example. I've seen so many people on Mal torturing themselves and forcing themselves to watch shit shows they don't even enjoy, complaining about it, yet never drop it for whatever reason, which is just so bizarre to me.

It's not like i'm trying to ridicule these types of people nor am i that annoyed of them but i'm just trying to understand what's the point of wasting your time? You could be doing anything else with your life but instead, decide to watch shit shows you don't even enjoy like it's your job or something. Why? Is it fun? Because i highly doubt that as i've seen so many of these people complaining about the show after watching it, then proceed to brag about it as if it's cool or something.

Very good point, I know exactly what you mean.

A forum like this one is both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, it helps people find anime they like, and you can find explanations, and just feel the community.

On the other hand, it is clear many feel forced to keep watching. They started, they have to finish - and I believe this is to a large degree because of the forum.

And then you have people watching a show they despise, so they can comment on it. I think there are many cases where an anime would have been dropped otherwise.

I am probably guilty of some of this myself.

Gigguk had a video about the development of an anime watcher. First you start and have an endless energy to watch things, a blessed state you will never come back to. Eventually you start to feel like you're grinding. But in the end, you reach a state where you can just watch casually, for fun. Without thinking of how many anime you watch, if you have watched the Must Watch of the season, and so on.

I'd like to say that I'm there completely, but not yet.
Oct 27, 2020 3:34 PM

Aug 2013
Hegar said:

Gigguk had a video about the development of an anime watcher. First you start and have an endless energy to watch things, a blessed state you will never come back to. Eventually you start to feel like you're grinding. But in the end, you reach a state where you can just watch casually, for fun. Without thinking of how many anime you watch, if you have watched the Must Watch of the season, and so on.

I'd like to say that I'm there completely, but not yet.

Ah yes that was a great video back then when Gigguk had a godlike gigabrain, now it got infected with a trashtaste virus.

I finally reached the final state and it's... subarashi :D
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ELDEN RING SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE wOOt!! F YEAH LET'S F GOOOOOO!!!
Oct 27, 2020 4:13 PM
Nov 2018
Sugoi desu!

We don't talk enough Japanese in the forum. It's odd, really.
Oct 27, 2020 4:48 PM
Apr 2013
Analyzing a show is a form of entertainment as well, you know? And every anime (except Shitcom and Skelterheaven) have at least SOMETHING worthwhile in it.
Oct 27, 2020 5:19 PM

Nov 2015
good for them, for expanding their horizons.
and entertaining hatred can be very entertaining.
and i guess

that i just don't know
Oct 27, 2020 5:51 PM

Oct 2017
I can't imagine forcing myself to watch anime. The closest I got to doing that was during my UC watch thorough where I forced myself to finish ZZ even though I hated it. That was more just a desire to not miss anything in the canon or for later stuff.

I think if you get to that point where you realize that you should simply immediately quit the hobby and find something else. It's going to be eventually really draining on you and there are better ways you can spend your free time.

Once I get tired of anime and manga I just take a break and come back when I feel a desire for it again. I will also agree that Gigguk is right on how there are different states like that true for any hobby. The wide eyed fan, someone trying to grind to learn more about it or become better and the eventual point where you either drop it entirely or learn to just simply enjoy it.

Though personally I don't drop often but if something really is bothering me and I find little to no enjoyment I will drop it. I don't see the point of continuing on long after you are tired and bored. Most under 5s I complete it was the ending, retroactive view of something I didn't hate at the time I completed the entire thing or maybe a much slower realization of the quality after I had already sunk a lot of time in. If I hate something within the first few epiosodes it's getting dropped.
BilboBaggins365Oct 27, 2020 5:57 PM
Oct 27, 2020 8:02 PM

Feb 2018
Yes, If an anime bores me il drop it in a hearbeat.
Oct 27, 2020 8:38 PM

May 2014
I'm not as keen on jumping into new series coming out just because they look cool... I used to go to those websites that break down everything by season and year and just watch any that looked interesting. Found a lot of good ones by doing that, but found far more terrible ones haha.

Now I tend to rewatch things I know I already like or stick to genres/tropes I know I like and I'm trying to catch up on a lot of older ones. Since 2016 I've only watched a handful of brand new anime as they came out.
Oct 28, 2020 5:42 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Why of course. It's something to look forward to at the end of a work day to wind down to and just ease your mind- most of the time, as long as it's good. But I guess another big reason for me is just to add more to my relatively meager anime list lol

NYANPASU
5700XT

Oct 28, 2020 7:57 PM
Aug 2018
But I do watch anime for entertainment. I'd drop the ones I don't enjoy.
Oct 28, 2020 10:46 PM
Jul 2018
I don't force myself to watch something I don't like but more or less watching anime has become more like a chore rather than a way of entertainment , I don't really feel the same way about anime as I used to , it is as if something I have to do rather than a laid back experience as it once used to be , that's whhy I am taking a bit of a break from anime
Oct 29, 2020 12:54 AM
Jun 2008
Definitely for entertainment. Watching Anime just to complete it is like, buying bad video games just for Trophies/achievements.
Oct 29, 2020 4:39 AM
Jul 2018
Unless you're a masochist, I don't see any other reason to watch it except for entertainment lol
Oct 29, 2020 5:35 AM

Apr 2017
Absolutely yes. I have no problem not watching anime for months if I need to give my mind a break. I love anime but it's not a race or a job so I don't want to force or oversaturate myself with it, and I'm not going to. Because of that I still love anime and am excited about it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9137 by appledude1221 »»
36 minutes ago

» Should I read manga?

-Auria- - Dec 30, 2023

16 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
45 minutes ago

» Is it just me or is the Shoujo anime category pathetically small?

AngelicSuccubus - 12 hours ago

18 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
49 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

140 by AngelicSuccubus »»
1 hour ago

» Create Your Perfect Staff: ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Today

53 by Guilmon1 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.