Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 4, 2020 3:12 PM

Jan 2013
This whole arc could be 1 OVA or completely skip it - bleh
Sep 4, 2020 5:34 PM

Jul 2013
Ever since my friend told me that this season felt like a full season recap, I can't unsee it.

The way they rush through every single scene, skip so many matches, lack of cooking process/dish explanation, plot points that's glossed over via a few lines of dialogue, and a tournament arc that we didn't even get to see half of its participants. Everything about it just felt like a big recap lol
Sep 4, 2020 6:35 PM

Jun 2014
I don't remember exactly how the backstory with Souma's mom played out in the manga but I think it's safe to assume that it was rushed af lol. I'm not even going to bother going back to these chapters to check.

I'm glad they kept that protagonist parody moment with Asahi. It was pretty funny and probably the only thing I liked about this episode lol.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 4, 2020 8:04 PM

Feb 2020
Ok, the backstories peaked my interest for... a few seconds. And then back to Saiba and Souma obliterating everyone in 2 seconds lol. Honestly, if they delved into any of the backstories for a few episodes this season could've been so much better.

I'll say it again, the main thing that's making this season horrible is the bullshit pacing. It had potential to be so much more...
"You... are truly slothful!"

Sep 4, 2020 10:22 PM

Oct 2017
The flashback was lit. Soma's mom was quite unique in many ways but she was a lovely young lady. Too bad Tamako Yukihira died so young.

Welp here it is folks, Soma vs Asahi Saiba. The theme of their shokugeki is quite intriguing. Making the five great cuisines into one now that's one heck of a challange.
Sep 4, 2020 11:19 PM

Jan 2016
The flashback was definitely the highlight of the episode, Soma's mom was as spirited as he is now :P

The rest... Well, let's just see how this rollercoaster ends.
THANKS SENPIEX
Sep 5, 2020 1:54 AM

Nov 2016
Illyricus said:
Souma's mom was nice, too bad she died, would have like to see more of her :(

Highly recommend reading the epilogue chapters then.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 5, 2020 2:29 AM

May 2018
This episode wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be so here are my thoughts (WARNING: this is gonna be long. Sorry. )

Regarding "the line", I was glad they cut it down and kept it short, especially the part where Erina (in the manga) says "to be honest, its a miracle you've made it this far" which makes me feel a little better cuz now I can feel like Nakiri doesn't doubt Soma's competence (at least not as much as in the manga) and is just feeling hopeless.

Tamako was by far one of the best parts of the episode. I loved seeing a young Soma, how he got his scar, and the influence of his mom had on him. Unfortunate that Soma lost her so young and she wasn't given more attention in the manga.

Something I noticed was that in Joichiro's flashback before he leaves Asahi to go home to Soma after Tamako's death is that he offers Asahi a chance to go with him but he declines. I don't believe that bit was in the manga but it's still stupid Asahi holds something against Soma for "stealing" Joichioro from him.

Another good part in the episode was seeing the Polar Star gang show up to cheer on Soma which made me smile. Also the fact that Tsukasa helped Soma prepare for his match with cooking battles is a nice touch.

In regards to the beginning of Soma vs Asahi, Cross Knives still looks stupid and silly. And the fact that I had to watch like 2 minutes of Asahi "crossing" made it worse.

For the rest of the anime, I think the next episode will be the rest of Soma vs Asahi and then the buildup to the Soma vs Erina. Then episode 12 will be their match and the rest of BLUE. Finally episode 13 will be Le Dessert adapted and any changes the studio made which hopefully results in a better ending. I think we'll get a better ending than what the manga gave us but I'm not expecting anything amazing (hoping I'm wrong though). I'm pretty hyped for the next episode especially after hearing Soma's words and confidence at the end of the episode. Can't wait for him to take Asahi down!

Last thing (Spoiler! kinda): I can't wait to see how the anime handles the others and HIM showing up next episode (I won't say who it is but those who read the manga know :)

Sep 5, 2020 4:42 AM
Sep 2018
omg this episode was just unbelievable... there were only masterclass... LOVE IT
Sep 5, 2020 4:54 AM

Jul 2013
FMmatron said:
Illyricus said:
Souma's mom was nice, too bad she died, would have like to see more of her :(

Highly recommend reading the epilogue chapters then.
Oh, nice then, will have that in mind. Thank you for the suggestion ;)
Sep 5, 2020 6:24 AM

Feb 2014
This was one of the better episodes of this series so far, and that was mostly thanks to the flashback, showing Yuikihira's lovable mother, Tamako.

You can see how much Yukihira takes from her, from the spiky hair, goofy personality and the love of making grotesque dishes. No wonder Joichiro fell in love with her. =)

Sadly, she did die while Yukihira was still young, and it showed how much it hurt him and Joichiro. So it was good that the pair of them were able to get through those hard times with their passion of cooking and love for each other.

With that being said, it does make Asahi's reason for hating Yukihira look very immature. Even though Joichiro told him the whole truth and even offered Asahi to come back with him to Japan, Asashi refused. =/

If there's one thing that Asahi did which made me laugh, it was the way he played the "power of friendship" trope with the appearance of the chefs that, in his vision, gave him the words of inspiration, but in reality, he beat them for their cooking tools like everyone else before. XD

Bring on the next episode, where I do hope Asashi gets the ass whooping he deserves...
Sep 5, 2020 6:31 AM
Jun 2017
next week is going to be an exciting epsiode... asahi vs soma... yeah
Sep 5, 2020 8:26 AM
Jul 2018
Lmaooo when Asahi started to act like a protagonist as he 'thanked' his inspirations. xD

Wow Souma is just like his mother after all. Heartwarming flashback.
Sep 5, 2020 9:41 AM

Jan 2020
Accurate summary of this season and his forced antagonist:

- Dad Yukihira: My wife died, I have to be with my son. WOULD YOU LIKE TO COME WITH ME?
- Asahi: NO
- Also Asahi: He took him away from me! (proceeds to become evil)

Idk what the author was thinking when he started this last arc, but god, what a bad ending.
Sep 5, 2020 10:00 AM
Mar 2015
Ashai is nothing but a a cheat who steals from those he beats Erina has turned into a wimp
Sep 5, 2020 10:01 AM

Jan 2014
Reinheit_Hezen said:
- Dad Yukihira: My wife died, I have to be with my son. WOULD YOU LIKE TO COME WITH ME?

this was so stupid i thought i misunderstood something lmao

asahi's nonsensical backstory, his stupid crossed knives superpower, and the terrible pacing have tanked this season imo
Sep 5, 2020 10:31 AM

Apr 2015
The one thing I have wanted to know about for like 4 seasons now, Souma's mum... and oh dear that was pretty tragic. RIP.

Still, now I understand what Asahi has against Souma, but wtf... "You took him away from me?" After rejecting his offer, My bar was set already pretty low for this "antagonist", but jeez, I didn't expect the bar to drop this low after this episode.

Souma, kick his ass next week!
Sep 5, 2020 12:00 PM

Dec 2016
I really hope Souma can put a stop to Asahi and win this match. When next week begins, I'll just cross my fingers rooting for Souma to win and teach that jerk a lesson he won't forget! This episode was ok. Felt bad seeing a flashback of Souma's mom when she was still alive, even though I couldn't remember how she died :(
Sep 5, 2020 2:09 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
What a fast episode. even more so the pacing. Pretty much skipped most of the round and went straight to the semi finals like "ah, you are not important, so off-screen defeat for you". On one hand, yeah, gloss over them since we all already know what will happen...but on the other hand, to be so transparent with the laziness and fast pacing...sigh, wasn't a huge fan of that. Next episode should be fun though.

The standout moment for this episode would definitely Soma's mother, Tamako. I liked her character in just a few scenes more than pretty much every other character in the show (not saying that the rest are bad, just that I really liked her character that much).

I cracked up at this moment with the Crunchyroll subs:

Tamako: "Listen up Soma. Your left hand is key. Here, give it a try".
Soma: "Okay"..."Mom, it's gonna burn".
Tamako: "Oh, who cares? Keep it up my boy".

It probably shouldn't be that funny, but randomly and surprising, it was for me,

Another great comedic moment was the Asahi "flashbacks" and then the backlash that they were not completely accurate and that he wasn't a protagonist.

Not sure what will happen next episode. I feel like Erina should be the one to beat Asahi this arc, but I feel that the show will give the victory to Soma, since he is the main character. Main character powers trump over story telling powers most of the time.

Even if Soma wins though, I guess that they can still give Erina the character arc she is being set for, but I would rather it be against the main antagonist than with a character she has already had development with.

Either way, really looking forward to the next episodes to see how they plan on finishing this arc.
Sep 5, 2020 3:25 PM

Jul 2017
Souma's past with his mom was nice. can we just have more of that instead of what's going on rn??

lol at this point they're just rushing to finish everything, that tournament arc went by super fast. I guess Soma through beating Asahi will "beat his dad" but that logic is beyond retarded
Sep 5, 2020 8:01 PM

Aug 2014
it is nice to see Souma mother, but it seems she was a bad chef
and I don't like her VA, Souma mother was young and the voice sounds like an old lady... she is 40 years old so yeah... but why she is not on MAL? she had many roles as VA, guess all were last grade characters showing only in 1 episode ;o
Also last episode of this season will be a very rushed one, Souma vs Erina, he will win her heart and destroy her mothers taste buds ?
(恄ļæ£ ³ļæ£)恄 ć”ć‚…ć£ ć”ć‚…ć£ ć‚­ć‚¹ (´ļ½”āœŖωāœŖļ½”ļ½€)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Sep 5, 2020 11:03 PM

Nov 2012
I have never liked Erina. I'm tired of Souma saving her. And where's her loyalty?
Sep 6, 2020 12:03 AM

Mar 2013
So far the episode is kinda meh tbh, still feel a bit rushed eventhough they already added few scenes here and there compared to manga. The flashback part is nice and heartwarming though tbh It might be more impactful if they showed it in the next episode where the battle is at its climax.

The part where they keep mentioning Asahi's cooking for straight 2-3 minutes is kinda 'wtf' for me. But that 'protag' part is indeed one of the good part in there.

Reinheit_Hezen said:

I feel like the manga delivers it in a more sense way than in the anime. Because iirc in the manga Jouichiro only mentions about his wife's passing and then say goodbye to Asahi. Just that... not asking if Asahi wants to come or not. That makes more sense making Asahi felt that he got left out and hate Soma because of that.
Sep 6, 2020 1:22 AM

Aug 2019
I'm late to the party but just wanted to chime in and show my love for Souma's mom.

Such a lovely person and honestly one of the best parts of this arc. Would totally pay to just watch a Tamako + Joichiro + Baby Soma slice of life spin off, that would be fantastic.

Other than that the theme of the season has been to just keep moving, and once again we move at a blindingly fast pace.

Still waiting out for the end though.
Sep 6, 2020 8:35 AM

Sep 2009
So, you think the pacing is rushed? I'm a manga reader here, and the same happened with the manga in the last episodes, so much bullshittery, and no effort put into the making of the dishes.
Asahi acting like the protagonist? Just wait for

Haha, it's funny to read these kind of reactiones "again", because you were warned ahead of time.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeSep 6, 2020 10:39 AM
Sep 6, 2020 10:19 AM

Jun 2015
Squeeee, I really hope Soma adds squid to his dish. Its unlikely seeing as all his squid dishes kill people but there was some great flash backs this eps to him as a kid and I liked the fact his mom always seem to be sucking on a squid tentacle. This episode finished too soon, roll on next week!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Sep 6, 2020 12:49 PM
Jul 2019
Finally we get to see Souma's okasan.
Sep 6, 2020 12:50 PM

Apr 2018
Good episode, know more about Erina's history with her ability the Gods Tounge. Come on Souma you are the only one that will make Erina happy.
Sep 6, 2020 1:24 PM

Aug 2017
Nice Asahi protagonist moment... Lol the characters said exactly what I was thinking.

All right when is Soma gonna lay the pipe on Erina already? He could instead get with hot, tan Nikumi and avoid all the drama. And enjoy discounted beef
Sep 6, 2020 2:41 PM

Jan 2018
Compared to the rest of the season this was actually a pretty good episode, the backstory of Souma's mother was good and i'm exited to see Souma vs Asahi.

I hope that at last this match won't be rushed.
Sep 7, 2020 11:50 AM
May 2019
That was the most extra "oh no, I'm looking my strength, but wait! I have all these people here in spirit to support me" side note that I have ever seen LMAO Asahi sure was acting like a protagonist there
Sep 7, 2020 5:12 PM

Jul 2017
The only good thing about this episode was Tamako Yukihira, even though they didn't even show how or why she died. As expected, the rest was bullshit.

Everything about Asahi is either cringe or nonsense. "He stole Joichiro from me", wtf? Are you serious? Not only that doesn't give him a good reason to be such a pain in the ass, that just makes his character even worse. They also never explain how the hell he dominates each and every cooking instrument ever so fast, which makes no sense.

And Erina. God, Erina. Why can't you just support your own teammates? Aren't you the director of Totsuki academy? Not to say all the bullshit about the divine tongue and how they just didn't foreshadow it in the previous arc (referring to all the "suffering" and "mental trauma" the divine tongue causes to Erina and Mana here). Does the divine tongue actually make everything to taste like shit, or is it just a quality that allows them to analyze and overanalyze food? If it's the second case, isn't all this bullshit psychological and completely easy to avoid? I mean, when did this show become a super-power series? I have too many questions now.

Not to mention how rushed and quick everything was, and the crappy animation during the whole episode.

1/5 for me.
Sep 7, 2020 7:36 PM
Jun 2017
haha just like in the manga asahi is the major issues of the final arc . even if the anime did put the part joe ask asahi to come with him he refused while in the manga he didn't do it that either a way asahi is just petty in both situation. the man is not going to live his real son alone specially after tamako die. soma is not at fault if anything why didn't just go and blame joe (which his not actually at fault cause of certain event's)
Sep 7, 2020 8:13 PM
Nov 2014
Touching bakstory about Soma and Erina's families. Makes sense that Asahi's just being petty because he was jealous and never managed to rein in or deal with those feelings.

Soma throwing down the gauntlet was pretty hot if Nakiri's into that sort of thing, "YOU wouldn't be able to make Erina happy" - Shots. Fired

P.S. I'm sorry, did anyone see the chef who MOTORBIKE-COOKED HER DISH?! Can it get any more ridiculous hahahahahaha

P.P.S. It could. I did get more ridiculous. The ghosts of knives past came out for a quick cooking montage, it looks like. Dead.
Sep 8, 2020 3:53 PM

Mar 2019
Cooking and shokugekis once again awfully presented, it was funny how they kinda made fun of how shitty Asahi is as a character when he starts seeing the chefs he has beaten and "inspired" him.

It was sweet seeing Soma's mom at least.
Sep 8, 2020 7:00 PM

Jul 2013
The best episode yet. Nothing special about it, it's just not bad unlike the others. And that bit with the gag backstory of cooking tools of chefs, that was funny lol
Sep 10, 2020 1:48 AM
Jul 2020
I am so happy to see Soma's mom, Tamako. Erina becoming depressed now but don't she worry, Soma will beat Asahi for sure!
Sep 10, 2020 8:37 PM

Oct 2008
awesome intense episode!
but feels very rushed, they just introduced the mother of Erina on the previous episode and this time they introduced the mother of Souma but for a very short time until her unexpected death...
i wonder how Souma isn't shattered by the overwhelming strength of Saiba Asahi, you cannot just show a trump card if your enemy has all the specialities...damn! i wonder how they'll conclude this...but y'know about Erina's complicated family situation, who cares about them? haha lolz
5/5.

Sep 11, 2020 1:44 PM

Jun 2017
The little snippet of Soma and his father's past was shown well. I can't believe Asahi is so pathetic. THAT'S the reason he hates Soma? Now I see why he is considered a trash tier villain by manga readers.
Why doesn't Nakiri put some faith in Soma? I guess it is for creating some drama.
It was the best episode in this season for me so far.
Sep 12, 2020 4:22 PM

Aug 2017
People were angry that Asahi defeated Joichiro 5-0 but they forget that Souma can 'defeat' his dad since Asashi is using Joichiro's knife lmao.

Asahi acting like the protagonist was hilarious LOL.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 13, 2020 4:50 AM

Jun 2019
I like Souma's mother and her personality. Seems like Souma has a lot of influence from his mother. Good episode.
Sep 14, 2020 9:25 PM

Jan 2013
I know a lot of bs happened in this season, but this is getting me so damn hyped! Even after all that "fantasy" that some of the cooks use. It's just like Souma said, he's just using cheats.

The battle of the century! oh boy!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Sep 17, 2020 3:19 PM

May 2016
If he actually loses again to him it will ruin the show for me.
Sep 17, 2020 6:20 PM

Jul 2014
Jesus Christ, the cross knives is so fucking stupid that it hurts to see it. And seriously, the grudge he holds against Joichiro is because he left to take care of his son when his wife died? Like wtf dude, he even offered to take you with him smh. I've never wanted Soma to kick someone's ass so badly... That power of friendship moment was hilarious though.

Soma's mother flashback was great and it was also nice to see the Polar Star cheering for Soma.
Sep 24, 2020 12:32 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Oh man, I loved Soma's mom. She proves that spunky, tomblyish girls with spikey hair really are the best kind. It really is too bad they rushed through her story. I wished they had at least explained how she passed.

So now Soma faces his ultimate challenge, combining 5 different cuisines into one. Really interested to see exactly what he pulls off.
Oct 1, 2020 8:53 AM
Jul 2018
The voice of child Souma sounds like Anpu.
Oct 1, 2020 11:45 AM
Jul 2016
lol everytime i hear Cross knives i see it as a meme

it's like something you'll say in tokusatsu which kinda funny imo.
todd2580Oct 1, 2020 2:07 PM
Oct 8, 2020 5:53 AM

Jun 2017
Damn! They already showed the backstory of Souma's mother and yet we don't even know the cause of death. That would have made a poignant scene if they included it!šŸ˜£

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Oct 31, 2020 4:10 PM
Oct 2019
Even if Soma could beat his dad, I don't see him beating Asahi. Asahi already beat Joichiro 5-0 and after that he gained Joichiro's, Eishi's and other people's experiences on top of it with Cross knife.
Nov 13, 2020 12:04 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Real curious to see what bs they’re gonna pull out of their ass to make soma beat such an overpowered ability

NYANPASU
5700XT

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2020

233 by penguin_sama »»
Jan 30, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2020

168 by emptycamz »»
Nov 21, 2023 4:26 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2020

82 by aod-kun »»
Nov 9, 2023 3:26 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2020

72 by aod-kun »»
Nov 9, 2023 2:55 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2020

71 by aod-kun »»
Nov 8, 2023 3:44 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.