Forum Settings
Forums

New 'Higurashi no Naku Koro ni' TV Anime Unveils Supporting Cast, Staff

New
Aug 20, 2020 11:32 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The official website of the new Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Higurashi: When They Cry - New) television anime unveiled supporting cast, staff, the first key visual (pictured), and a second promotional video on Friday. The four additional cast members are also returning from the original anime series.

The first 13 episodes will air on Thursdays at 11:30 p.m. on Tokyo MX and BS11 beginning October 1, followed by Sun TV. The latter episodes will air on Fridays at 12:30 a.m. on the same channels beginning January 8. Hikari TV and d Anime Store will also stream the new anime. The anime was originally scheduled for Summer 2020, but was delayed due to the effects of COVID-19.

Cast
Kuraudo Ooishi: Chafurin (Baki)
Jirou Tomitake: Tooru Ookawa (ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka)
Miyo Takano: Miki Itou (Fate/stay night)
Kyousuke Irie: Toshihiko Seki (Mousou Dairinin)

Staff
Assistant Director: Takashi Ikehata (Tsuki ga Kirei)
Art Director: Kazuhiro Inoue (Fate/Apocrypha)
Art Supervision: Saho Yamane (Shinsekai yori art director)
Color Design: Arisa Komatsu (Hitori no Shita: The Outcast)
Director of Photography: Yuuichirou Tozawa (Golden Kamuy)
Editing: Ayako Tan (Bem)
Sound Director: Hiroto Morishita (Fukigen na Mononokean)
Sound Effects: Shouta Yaso (Yakusoku no Neverland)
Music Production: Frontier Works

Keiichirou Kawaguchi (SKET Dance) is directing the new anime at Passione, featuring character designs by Akio Watanabe (Bakemonogatari). Naoki Hayashi (Black Fox, Flip Flappers script) is handling the series composition, and Kenji Kawai (Subete ga F ni Naru) is composing the music. The lead voice cast are reprising their roles from the original 2006 anime.

Studio Deen produced the first television anime in Spring 2006, which was followed by a 24-episode sequel in Summer 2007. The five-episode Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei (When They Cry: Rei) original video anime ran between February and August 2009.

07th Expansion released the first chapter of the psychological horror visual novel, Onikakushi-hen (Demoned Away Chapter), in August 2002. The eighth and final chapter in the original series, Matsuribayashi-hen (Festival Accompanying Chapter), was published in August 2006. Three extra chapters were released in a fandisc in December that year. The latest installment in the franchise, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou (When They Cry: Gift), was published in August 2014.

PV 2

Source: Comic Natalie
VindstotAug 20, 2020 3:35 PM

Aug 20, 2020 11:55 AM
Sep 2017
More Higurashi is always nice, but I feel Akio Watanabe's character art style just doesn't seem fitting for Higurashi. It just feels like I'm watching Grisaia all over again. I really like the character designs for the Higurashi console games (kizuna, matsuri) and had hoped something more akin to that for the new anime. I don't know if I'm just so used to the Visual Novels that I'm hesitant about new art style for Higurashi but I really hope it grows on me.

Also, I really hope the early arcs will have more than 4 episodes/arc. (I'm looking at you, Himatsubushi.)
Aug 20, 2020 11:58 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
There will be 26 or so episodes thank god. So it's an adaptation of the first two or so story arcs?

@ereman I know right. Don't know how long it will take me to get used to the Monogatari/World God Only Knows/etc. art style. I love Watanabe's work but for Higurashi? Come on now. I guess it's not that bad though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2020 12:05 PM
May 2015
If this is a reboot/remake then I'd rather watch this version. The old one has an ugly art style and dogshit character designs. This looks more modern and is actually pleasing to look at.

Aug 20, 2020 12:21 PM

May 2012
SO this is remake ???

I only watched few episodes of the original and then dropped cause it is boring. But if this is remake, I might give it another try and watching it weekly will easier for me
Aug 20, 2020 12:33 PM

Jul 2019
I loved the old anime but I can't wait to watch this one. I like the visuals. I don't even care if it's a remake or not I will watch it anyway. lol It's going to be interesting to watch it while knowing the story this time.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Aug 20, 2020 12:38 PM

May 2011
I am way too worried because the production is done by the same studio that brought you masterpieces like The Island of Giant Insects and Interspecies Reviewers.
Aug 20, 2020 12:58 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Sleepless October incoming, lol.

Great trailer, definitely got the mood and atmosphere right to the click, and it's great to see that many of the Cast are reprising their roles here! I suppose it's okay to have a little faith in this.

Hopefully, my fears of cramming Deen's S1 and S2 into these measly 2-cours will be proven wrong as well.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 20, 2020 1:04 PM
Apr 2016
Made by Passione; Studio who made Highschool DxD Hero with that ugly artstyle... Ew

Why does Passione feel the need to entirely remake the artstyle and make everything so bright and colorful? Does anybody seriously like that? The old artstyle was good enough.
Aug 20, 2020 1:34 PM

May 2008
So they're maintaining the OG voice cast? EPIC!! I'm SO excited for this!

Aug 20, 2020 1:34 PM
May 2020
New art style might change the experience by a bit but it would still nail that "super-dark cutesy" vibe. Super hyped for this!
Aug 20, 2020 3:02 PM

Sep 2014
Still doubt I will be pleased by the art, but who knows.

This airing for halloween is certainly nice, last year for halloween I thought I would start Higurashi again, then I learned of the remake and abandoned the plan, than it was delayed.. Now we are here

I just hope it will be good
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Aug 20, 2020 3:13 PM
Jul 2017
lkevsan said:
I am way too worried because the production is done by the same studio that brought you masterpieces like The Island of Giant Insects and Interspecies Reviewers.

Interspecies Reviewers was genuinely good while Big Bug Island was SO BAD it was good.
Aug 20, 2020 4:46 PM

May 2012
Long WTC fan... lets gooo!
Aug 20, 2020 7:23 PM

Aug 2018
I'm a fan of this series and I can't waaaiitttt!!!
Btw, what's with the glowing effects on hair etc? Ah screw that I'm still waiting for it <3
Aug 20, 2020 7:58 PM

Aug 2013
I loved the original, and so do many others, so I'm not really sure why they're remaking this series. I also like the older animation in the original. It adds to the feel for me. I'll still watch this at some point, but I'm setting my expectations low. I did love Rokka no Yuusha, which Passione made, so that's a good sign.
Aug 20, 2020 8:10 PM

Jun 2020
visuals look cool, but the remake better be faithful :| dont want no shitty remake with good visuals
Aug 20, 2020 9:40 PM

Oct 2017
Hoping for this to be decent atleast.
Aug 20, 2020 11:06 PM

May 2008
Early 2000s vs Late 2010s (what shorthand is being used for this - the 10s?) animation. I don't think it necessarily looks better, just shinier.

New!K1 doesn't sound quite like his old voice, but other than that, the others sound like they used to. Either way, very happy to see the old cast back for all the important characters.

Now the real question is will we get the creepy cat eyes again?
Aug 21, 2020 12:07 AM

Jan 2015
I was a bit skeptical about the new artstyle but it’s kinda growing on me. Animation looks good.
Can’t want to rewatch this one
Aug 21, 2020 12:41 AM

May 2015
As long as the remake retains the strong staging, pacing, and composition that the Deen series had, I'm good.

The new style just grown to me the more scenes I see from it. I just hope that it'll be just as unhinged as the prior adaptations.

Those with dirty minds will find my Steam pic offensive
Aug 21, 2020 12:49 AM
Jan 2018
From the looks of it all the staff mentiond haven't or don't work for the studio normally. Apart from Hayashi, Naoki who worked on Citrus

Just remembered that the stuido only has like 25 employees apprently so it makes sense that the staff are freelancers or outside contractors
Mattinator95Aug 21, 2020 1:47 AM
Aug 21, 2020 2:27 AM

May 2015
I don't care what anyone says, the designs look great and are way better than the old ones.

Aug 21, 2020 2:58 AM

Feb 2012
Good that they split the cours so you already know it is about to get bloody in 2nd part.

Yoooooo Ryukishi zero nana.
Aug 21, 2020 3:15 AM
Aug 2020
JanPri said:
Made by Passione; Studio who made Highschool DxD Hero with that ugly artstyle... Ew

Why does Passione feel the need to entirely remake the artstyle and make everything so bright and colorful? Does anybody seriously like that? The old artstyle was good enough.

Because the old style was ugly both the backgrounds and the character models

Also they changed it to look closer to the manga/LN
Aug 21, 2020 3:34 AM

Feb 2018
JanPri said:

But Passione only adapted to that art style because it reflected the original High School DxD's LN art style. I didn't mind it, but I'm gonna miss TNK studio's sharply detailed style though.

I'm pretty sure this is more quite of an upgrade rather than solely "making it so bright and colorful" in an awful way. The old Higurashi art was okay as well, hopefully you don't get it wrong. Not to mention it was adapted from a VN.

Anyways, will always be hyped for a Higurashi series!
RedDesireAug 21, 2020 3:41 AM
Aug 21, 2020 3:38 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Animefan8543477 said:
JanPri said:

Because the old style was ugly both the backgrounds and the character models

Also they changed it to look closer to the manga/LN

The higurashi Manga are done by different artists. And its nota manga adaptation, but rather a VN adaptation, which has had 2 different artstyles. none look like this.
If you are talking about Highschool DxD, then no, The character designs weren't ugly.

Aug 21, 2020 3:42 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
RedDesire said:
JanPri said:

But Passione only adapted to that art style because it reflected the original High School DxD's LN art style. I didn't mind it, but I'm gonna miss TNK studio's sharply detailed style though.

I'm pretty sure this is more quite of an upgrade rather than solely "making it so bright and colorful" in an awful way. The old Higurashi art was okay as well, hopefully you don't get it wrong.

Anyways, will always be hyped for a Higurashi series!

If they are able to execute the horror well, then i think i'd prefer this artstyle. Idk, i like monogatari and grisaia.
But at the same time, i think that washed off- sharp artstyle worked perfectly for higurashi. I'm uncertain about this one.
Also, I want them to use the old ost(s), maybe after re-making them

Aug 21, 2020 7:26 AM

Jun 2014
The new art looks really unfitting of Higurashi. Well I don't really care for that I can always read the VN... I'm more interested to see if the opening is going to be as iconic as the first anime opening.
Aug 21, 2020 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
ereman said:
More Higurashi is always nice, but I feel Akio Watanabe's character art style just doesn't seem fitting for Higurashi. It just feels like I'm watching Grisaia all over again. I really like the character designs for the Higurashi console games (kizuna, matsuri) and had hoped something more akin to that for the new anime. I don't know if I'm just so used to the Visual Novels that I'm hesitant about new art style for Higurashi but I really hope it grows on me.

Also, I really hope the early arcs will have more than 4 episodes/arc. (I'm looking at you, Himatsubushi.)

Personally, I prefer this new artstyle over the old anime one: it looks much more polished, and cutesey. And well, Higurashi is about cute characters, so I think it makes sense.

Thai777 said:
The new art looks really unfitting of Higurashi. Well I don't really care for that I can always read the VN... I'm more interested to see if the opening is going to be as iconic as the first anime opening.

If I had to wager, probably not.
Aug 21, 2020 12:52 PM
Feb 2019
I'm honestly interested how it will turn out, first trailer made me doubt, but this second trailer made me hyped up and kinda made me see how this artstyle could also fit. Though Deen's artstyle will always hold a special place in my heart and I will probably always rate it higher, I will stay neutral to this artstyle until I see how it's gonna turn out. Also, to anyone who says this is not staying "true" to the original artstyle, the very original artstyle basically mostly contained blob characters and washed out backgrounds, would you prefer that to be honest over the other ones?
Aug 21, 2020 2:02 PM
Sep 2018
hell yea, Rena in 1080p <3
Aug 21, 2020 2:10 PM
Sep 2017
HunLepto said:
Also, to anyone who says this is not staying "true" to the original artstyle, the very original artstyle basically mostly contained blob characters and washed out backgrounds, would you prefer that to be honest over the other ones?

To be honest, I would be interested in watching a Higurashi anime with the o.g. art style with potato hand Rena and all. Could be interesting.
Aug 21, 2020 2:14 PM
Oct 2006
Not sure how I feel about this yet. The new art style is *VERY* different...
Aug 21, 2020 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
Satoko-chan! Just wait for me, my love!
Aug 21, 2020 9:57 PM
Feb 2019
GoodnightMadao said:
is it worth finishing the original now that this is coming out? the original wasn't bad but didn't really catch my attention, i've had it on hold for a while now.

You can, but I really, REALLY recommend reading through the Question Arcs of the VN if you can. While the anime holds a special place in my heart, because I started with that, the VN is better in many aspects aside from being animated. It has a pretty slow start, but after that, it will pick up pretty well and will be more worth it in the long run. If you want, I can link give you some links as to how to download it and how to upgrade it (remaster patches really help the VN if you look at how it was originally).
Aug 21, 2020 10:01 PM
Feb 2019
ereman said:
HunLepto said:
Also, to anyone who says this is not staying "true" to the original artstyle, the very original artstyle basically mostly contained blob characters and washed out backgrounds, would you prefer that to be honest over the other ones?

To be honest, I would be interested in watching a Higurashi anime with the o.g. art style with potato hand Rena and all. Could be interesting.

I'd want it more as an april fool's joke kind of OVA or something. Or an end episode skit. But who knows, maybe Passione will somehow, somewhere animate the masterpiece that is Ryuukishi's potato character designing.
Aug 24, 2020 11:38 AM

Dec 2018
You probably can’t see it, but I can’t stop smiling

Aug 24, 2020 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
its cool that theyre getting the original voice actors and the pvs look promising but the art style just looks strange to me and im not sure if i like it or not.
Aug 24, 2020 8:45 PM

May 2013
I actually prefer this art style. Looks fresh.

Moreover, the main selling point along with the story would be the voice actors who have been that one constant in the VN and the anime. I am not surprised that there are a number of shared voice actors with Umineko too!
KreatorXAug 24, 2020 8:49 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 27, 2020 11:23 PM

Jun 2015
The only gripe I had with the Deen version was the visuals and animations, it was one of the main reasons I disliked Deen around that time.

So as long as they don't mess up any big plot things this looks like its going to be better. I get what others are saying about the art style not really fitting in, but honestly compared to Deen's, I'll take the new design and probably better animations.

Now to make it perfect, I just need to find a way to erase my memories so I can have that first time experience lol
Aug 27, 2020 11:36 PM

Apr 2013
Well time for me to finally watch the old Higurashi seasons then.
Sep 2, 2020 9:34 PM
Feb 2019
If this is a reboot/remake then I'd rather watch this version. The old one has an ugly art style and dogshit character designs. This looks more modern and is actually pleasing to look at.
Sep 10, 2020 11:59 PM

Jun 2012
I binge-watched Higurashi at the time when Rei came out and it immediately became a favourite of mine. The story, plot, character designs, and music are all perfectly creepy and amazing! To say I'm excited for this reboot is an understatement, however, I'm wondering if this new art style will take away from the charm that the original had. Even if you just compare the PVs, the old version is far creepier than the reboot. Either way, I super happy to be able to watch this series again, especially with all the same voice actors! Let me hear that USODA!!

"... If fate is a milestone, then we are the grist. There is nothing we can do. So I wish for strength. If I cannot protect them from the wheel, then give me a strong blade, and enough strength... to shatter fate."
Sep 23, 2020 1:27 AM

May 2015
Let's see if this reboot improves from where Studio Deen started and left off.

In all honesty, while Deen's version looks visually wonky, it has strong direction, sound design, and setting. Not to mention that the ugliness of the visuals just added further to the disturbing factor of the material. My only gripe is that the post-Chiaki Kon Higurashi OVAs didn't seem that effective as the earlier series.

Since Passione's take on this really looks polished and bright, I really doubt that it'll be just as effective as the first but I do hope that it's not the case. Hopefully they won't be afraid to make things disturbingly ugly when the moment needs it (since Deen managed to but went overkill).

Those with dirty minds will find my Steam pic offensive
Sep 23, 2020 1:19 PM

Nov 2009
I’m so happy about this I can’t wait for this reboot!! 😍 Cant wait to see all those crazy eyes in HD. 😂

(Ok but 2009 weeb me is still kinda sad I never got a season 2 of Umineko but I’ll take what I can get, I know a lot of people hated umineko lol).

More topics from this board

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
16 minutes ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
2 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

17 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
4 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.