Forum Settings
Forums

Should japanese words that everyone already knows (honorifics senpai baka etc) be translated or should the subtitles use the original japanese words?

New
Aug 13, 2020 7:22 PM
Jul 2018
also what about animal sounds like nya and wan wan!

anyone who doesn't watch enough anime to know the basic words like that will probably just watch the english dub anyway so I think it makes more sense when they leave in words like that especially if it's something that doesn't really translate to english, like when they translate baka to idiot or senpai to upperclassman
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 13, 2020 7:26 PM

Aug 2012
This reminds of old fansubs that put subs on everything like laughing, sneezing, etc.
Aug 13, 2020 7:35 PM

Aug 2010
They should just leave honorifics like -senpai, -kun, -chan that aren't translated to English. But words like baka, and animal words still should be translated because the words makes sense when translated.

Personally there's only one thing that bothers me: it's when the characters says "onii-chan" or "onee-chan" and translated as just their name, I'd prefer it translated as "brother"/"sister". But maybe because I come from a country that has those honorifics too.
Aug 13, 2020 7:36 PM

Oct 2017
I mean, what about those who just started watching anime? They wouldn't know
It also sometimes feel weird when they just throw japanese words.
But yeah, I guess some words have no meaning in english? I think honorifics should be in the subtitles and stuff.

Also, the japanese words in the subtitles would mean lots of translator's notes like this
Aug 13, 2020 7:41 PM
Jul 2018
javitaxy said:
I mean, what about those who just started watching anime? They wouldn't know
It also sometimes feel weird when they just throw japanese words.
But yeah, I guess some words have no meaning in english? I think honorifics should be in the subtitles and stuff.

Also, the japanese words in the subtitles would mean lots of translator's notes like this
awww I like when fansubs do silly things like that
Aug 13, 2020 7:48 PM

Jan 2010
Personally, I'm not a fan of mixed sub. If english, better use english and not mix it with japanese.

Unless it's relevant to the scene/word or is hard to translate, for example ->

- Ahomine instead of stupid-mine is better. And then put note that aho means stupid.
- Same with Bakagami instead of stupid-gami.
- Aomine-cchi also the -cchi shouldn't be omitted.

As for -senpai, I prefer if it's omitted.
Same with -sama, I prefer if they use Lord Shinya instead of Shinya-sama.
Aug 13, 2020 8:25 PM

Aug 2020
it depends on how it translate. Baka just means idiot, which is pretty translatable, so it would be weird if it was translated.

I prefer to keep senpai and kouhai bc we dont really call each other junior and senior in the west, so it just feels awkward. Honorifics should also stay.
And then things like tsundere, which i've seen translated to hot/cold personaility, should just stay as tsundere.
I swear, I don't have a thing for blondes.

Aug 13, 2020 8:31 PM

Nov 2019
Depends on the type of anime. If it's set in Japan and/or Japanese culture figures prominently, then I want to see the honorifics because they help denote things like status, relationships, respect etc. When a character switches from using -san to -chan as they get closer to someone for example, you miss out on that added texture. If it's some generic fantasy or sci-fi world that could be anywhere and isn't particularly Japanese, then it's not so important to me.

As for other words like baka, I don't mind what the translator does as long as it's fitting for the characters/scene. A good translator will convey the most germane meaning possible in those cases, and that's fine because the underlying emotional or other content being expressed usually crosses cultures even if the words themselves don't.

Aug 13, 2020 8:37 PM
May 2015
"Baka" isn't even a honorific so that should 100% be translated. As for honorifics, they should leave it as is.

For example:
-san != Miss

No one here calls their classmates "Miss whatever". It's awkward when you translate it that way. "Whatever-san" is more preferrable.

Shirayukin said:
Personally there's only one thing that bothers me: it's when the characters says "onii-chan" or "onee-chan" and translated as just their name, I'd prefer it translated as "brother"/"sister". But maybe because I come from a country that has those honorifics too.
Here in Canada (or the Western Culture in general), that'd sound way too awkward. No one here calls their siblings as "brother" or "sister". That's way too formal, especially if you and your siblings have known each other since birth. As far as I'm aware, siblings call each other by their first names, nicknames or "bro" and "sis".

Now, when you're telling another person that that person is your sibling then we obviously say "That's my brother/sister".
jc9622Aug 13, 2020 8:58 PM

Aug 13, 2020 9:08 PM
Aug 2018
This has always been a hot debate but personally I prefer honorifics to be left as it is. Honorifics like -sama, -chan, -senpai feel more natural than stuff like Brother, Sister, Senior etc. It may be hard for newer viewers but if you've seen a handful of anime you can grasp them pretty quickly.
Aug 13, 2020 9:22 PM

Aug 2010
jc9622 said:

Shirayukin said:
Here in Canada (or the Western Culture in general), that'd sound way too awkward. No one here calls their siblings as "brother" or "sister". That's way too formal, especially if you and your siblings have known each other since birth. As far as I'm aware, siblings call each other by their first names, nicknames or "bro" and "sis".

Now, when you're telling another person that that person is your sibling then we obviously say "That's my brother/sister".

Ah yes, I thought "brother" or "sister" might be too formal. I was actually thinking just "bro" or "sis", but I guess that's still too unusual?
Aug 13, 2020 11:29 PM

May 2015
Everything translated in English except the honorifics which should stay Japanese for consistency.

I'm always up for "Translator's Notes" for uncommon phrases and words though.
Aug 13, 2020 11:30 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Translate the words that have proper translations without sounding ridiculous in English

Leave the rest

Not that complicated
Aug 13, 2020 11:39 PM

Apr 2010
No, honorifics should be translated or omitted if it comes down to it. No need to confuse new comers with a bunch of Japanese words.
Aug 13, 2020 11:42 PM

Oct 2010
With honorífics, left with the proper translator's note. They are a very relevant and unique part of the language that is better explained than adapted, at least in subs, because there's not a clear equivalence in other languages.

Other words like senpai (when it's not used as an honorífic) or baka, which have a clear translation and do have an equivalence, by no means should be left like that in a minimally serious translation.

That is what I think at least. Leaving parts of the text untouched is not bad by default, it can help understand the context to the viewer. But you need to know how, and you also need to sub for people who are not into the subculture, don't know or just arrived. Anybody can read your subs, not just hardcore otakus.
Aug 13, 2020 11:57 PM
Jul 2018
I'd prefer if the French subs of 3 Musketeers used the "votre éminence" translation When addressing the Queen, Louis XIII or Richelieu, instead of using the word sama
Aug 14, 2020 12:00 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
nah

I personally don't mind it being the original Japanese, but it definitely makes sense to make it English. There are so, so many ways Japanese can be translated as you can never directly translate Japanese and there are many interpretations, but for honorifics it should be quite simple, although it is up to the subber(s). Personally, I respect making it the English way, as there are many things you can think of when translating something, and that's just the best way to do such a thing without the least conflict. But when translating Japanese, there will probably always be conflicts.

So, it's up to the sub group. I don't really mind it that much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2020 12:01 AM

Apr 2013
It's the job of a good translator to translate everything in his language. For the case of Japanese I can understand leaving the honorifics when two japaneses peoples speak to each other, but technically even that should be avoided. And if the characters speaking are not japanese then there's really no reason to keep them.
Aug 14, 2020 12:26 AM

Jul 2020
In my opinion san,chan senpai etc should be kept in sub but words like baka must have english.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 14, 2020 12:30 AM

Jun 2016
I believe all words should be translated apart from specific cultural things like names of foods. As for honorifics, they should be left untranslated if the show takes place in japan and translated in other cases. Having words like baka and nakama left it the subs makes them weird and unnatural even if I understand what those words mean.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 14, 2020 2:44 AM

Jul 2019
Everything you can't translate literally (honorifics) and words we don't normaly use (senior or junior = senpai and kohai) should be left as they are. But why would anyone leave 'baka' untranslated when we have a word for that one?
Aug 14, 2020 5:08 AM

Jul 2019
I don't really know. Honestly a random japanese word in middle of an english sentence makes it sound pretty cringy
Aug 14, 2020 5:12 AM

Feb 2010
printsmyon said:

anyone who doesn't watch enough anime to know the basic words like that will probably just watch the english dub anyway so I think it makes more sense when they leave in words like that especially if it's something that doesn't really translate to english, like when they translate baka to idiot or senpai to upperclassman

That logic makes no sense. How did most of us learn about their meanings? By watching subbed anime. We didn't magically wake up with that knowledge one day, we extrapolated it from watching subs. There's always gonna be people watching anime for whom japanese is new and who don't already know what these things mean. That's what translations are for. If you don't like japanese words being translated in your subs, watch raws for all I care but it's stupid to suggest not translating perfectly translatable words like baka or senpai just to cater to your personal weebness.

The only alternative as a translator are translation notes and while I don't mind them people seem to hate them nowadays so they mostly disappeared. But just completely ignoring half your text and not translate it at all? I'd fire the fuck out of you if you tried to hand in some half-assed translation like that. Weeb agendas have nothing to do in the translation sciences.
AlcoholicideAug 14, 2020 5:24 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 14, 2020 5:20 AM

Aug 2018
It would be great if they leave the honorific the way it is.I would prefer onee-sama over SISSY any day.
Aug 14, 2020 5:25 AM

Nov 2018
printsmyon said:

ignore this is for character count.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Aug 14, 2020 5:36 AM

Sep 2017
goldenskinmaster said:
it depends on how it translate. Baka just means idiot, which is pretty translatable, so it would be weird if it was translated.

Actually it would be weird if they didn't translate that.Like why...?
It's just a normal word that is in literally every language unlike chan or san.Alright words like sensei, senpai and others are more common so it wouldn't be weird if they aren't translated but still that doesn't mean they can't for example not translate shishou
javitaxy said:

Let's just leave the notes for references or cultural things
خ
Aug 14, 2020 5:42 AM

Jan 2008
Japanese honourifics don't necessarily translate well into English. So it's down to how they are used if it's worth keeping in translation.
Aug 14, 2020 5:57 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know how would they translate honorifics but the common words should on being used the first time be translated like on the top of the screen there can be a note that says "_ word means _" and then they can use original japanese words for the rest of the show
removed-userAug 14, 2020 6:25 AM
Aug 14, 2020 6:05 AM

Feb 2010
Dragonland04 said:
I don't know how would they translate honorifics but the common words should on being used the first time be translated like on the top of the screen there can be a note that says "_ word means _" and then they can use original japanese words

that used to be common with terms that have tricky or impossible single-word translations but whiny anime fans complained about translation notes too when they were a thing so they eventually died out for the most part and were replaced by what we have now - eitther no translation at all or some awkward translation that doesn't quite feel right.

The lesson here is that anime fans are entitled pricks who will always, always rant and whine about the status quo, no matter what. Trying to cater to them is like a dog chasing its own tail. They'll find, or rather generate 'issues' to complain about out of thin air. If things were differently than they are now in terms of translations, the same people would probably complain why they aren't like they are now. Being unhappy is what makes the average anime fan happy, is my theory. It's all about complaint equity.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 14, 2020 6:06 AM

Aug 2020
Fatephile said:

Actually it would be weird if they didn't translate that.Like why...?
It's just a normal word that is in literally every language unlike chan or san

yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry, I just suck at writing
I swear, I don't have a thing for blondes.

Aug 14, 2020 6:09 AM

Dec 2019
Im not really sure since people that get new into anime wouldnt understand it (but overall i dont really care as long as they dont translate onii-chan and onee-chan xD)
Aug 14, 2020 6:19 AM
Sep 2018
words that you shouldn't translate (and keep in the subtitles): moe, tsundere, tsukkomi, boke, and honorifics. Translating baka is fine
Aug 14, 2020 6:44 AM
Jul 2018
_cjessop19_ said:
printsmyon said:

ignore this is for character count.

I feel so enlightened.

You shouldn't translate honorfics. It never sounds right, since they are something japanese- or chinese-exclusive and have cultural backgrounds.
Aug 14, 2020 6:45 AM
Oct 2018
I prefer it not being translated. 30
--
Aug 14, 2020 7:06 AM
Jul 2020
Depending on the scenario, I must say. Words like "senpai", "chan", "kun", and "san" that are honorifics should not be translated. While the others may be.
Aug 14, 2020 7:31 AM
Jul 2018
Whenever I see the word "baka" being used in a sentence that isn't japanese I feel like someone just poured molten lead into my eyes
Though honorifics should never be translated/removed because they're important to understand the relationships between characters.
removed-userSep 6, 2020 2:24 PM
Aug 14, 2020 7:48 AM

Aug 2018
When I do translations I always keep the honorifics. There's just no way to translate it accurately in English because it tells so much about the relationships between the characters. If the people watching/reading are unfamiliar with these untranslated honorifics, they'll probably slowly catch the gist over time anyway as they watch and read more.

For other "common" Japanese words, I think they should still be translated since there are appropriate words for them. But so far I think I've kept senpai as it is once or twice, because it completely slipped my mind that there are English words for that LOL. But these still aren't as eye-burning as "-san" becoming "Mr" etc so I'm alright with either case.
Aug 14, 2020 8:01 AM

May 2015
Leave honorifics out unless they can be translated but translate other spoken words, sometimes non-spoken words needs to be translated too only IF they're necessary but not all over the screen trying to match the actual fonts, that shit is fucking annoying.
Animal sounds? I'm not sure, are they part of the dialogue? are they necessary? do they matter? if yes, then yes, if no, then no.
TheBerserkerAug 14, 2020 8:56 AM
Aug 14, 2020 8:21 AM

Mar 2020
Honorifics, suffixes, and words that don't have natural translations into English should be left as-is, but saying "words that everyone already knows" is a bit vague, and not a good way to measure or group together anything. Yeah, sure, you may know what "baka" means now, but I bet you didn't when you watched your first show; saying that everyone who doesn't know what these words mean already watch/should watch the English dub is amazingly elitist and dumb. We know what those words mean precisely BECAUSE we've seen them translated into subtitles multiple times; it should be the same for newcomers to anime.

On the other hand, there are words that don't really translate well into English, like uniquely Japanese constructions such as "tsundere"; brother/sister titles like "onii-chan" and "onee-san" also come to mind. And of course, honorifics and suffixes like "senpai", "-san", "-chan", etc. cannot be translated without sounding amazingly awkward (who the hell calls a classmate "Mister X"??) and losing the meaning of the original. If possible, these should be kept in, as they do no harm, and only add to the viewer's understanding and enjoyment of the show.
Sep 5, 2020 7:16 PM

Mar 2017
Yes, the point of translation is to translate, that is literally the translator's job. There might be some veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery far in between edge cases (that most likely you, dumb weeb who is reading this, do not know about, you just think you do and you're wrong) where it's appropriate to conserve honorifics, but other than that, pretty much never.

Sep 6, 2020 7:16 AM

Feb 2016
I think subtitles with Japanese honorifics do not preserve their original meanings, because we do not have the same understanding of these words as a Japanese person does. I have seen subtitles that replace the original Japanese honorific with a different Japanese honorific, presumably to better appeal to weebs. E.G. han—>san
その目だれの目?
Sep 6, 2020 8:46 AM

Aug 2020
Squilon said:
Honorifics, suffixes, and words that don't have natural translations into English should be left as-is, but saying "words that everyone already knows" is a bit vague, and not a good way to measure or group together anything. Yeah, sure, you may know what "baka" means now, but I bet you didn't when you watched your first show; saying that everyone who doesn't know what these words mean already watch/should watch the English dub is amazingly elitist and dumb. We know what those words mean precisely BECAUSE we've seen them translated into subtitles multiple times; it should be the same for newcomers to anime.

On the other hand, there are words that don't really translate well into English, like uniquely Japanese constructions such as "tsundere"; brother/sister titles like "onii-chan" and "onee-san" also come to mind. And of course, honorifics and suffixes like "senpai", "-san", "-chan", etc. cannot be translated without sounding amazingly awkward (who the hell calls a classmate "Mister X"??) and losing the meaning of the original. If possible, these should be kept in, as they do no harm, and only add to the viewer's understanding and enjoyment of the show.

I know this is about subbed anime, but do they still have those lists of honorifics and their meanings in translated manga...? That's how I figured out what -san/-chan/-kun/etc. meant.

I don't necessarily mind if subs preserve honorifics or not, but honestly? I prefer it when they retain them. They don't need to put a translator's note about what they mean and what it reveals about relationships between characters, because I think that's something you naturally pick up on as you watch more anime. (Besides, like, we have the internet now.)

Words like baka? Of course that should get translated to dummy/stupid/whatever. If something has a natural English translation, it should get translated. Words like otaku and tsundere? That... gets a bit more difficult. Sure, those could get translated to "geek" and "two-faced beeyatch", but it really depends on the context. Again, it's not hard to pause the video and google some term you don't know.

But yessss, hearing -san get translated to "Miss/Mister" (when used between peers) and onee/onii-san translated to "Big Sis/Big Brother" in dubs is like nails on a chalkboard to me. NO ONE. TALKS. LIKE THAT. If you're trying to localize the dialogue and make it sound more natural, then that's a terrible job. :/

Honestly? I think dubs that take place in, say, a Japanese high school should retain honorifics. Dubbed anime that takes place in a fantasy/sci-fi world or whatever should do their best to translate them into something that sounds normal to English-speaking viewers.

Subs in general, I think, should offer more of a literal (even if awkward) translation. I like dubs, and I don't mind if they need to take some liberties to make dialogue sound more natural, or for jokes/wordplay to make sense. But when I watch something subbed, imo it needs to be more of a direct translation or else I feel like I'm missing out on what the characters are really saying in Japanese.
Sep 6, 2020 9:37 AM

Sep 2018
They should be kept in original Japanese words imo
Watching those subs give me more weeb vibes lol like kaizoku fansubs did for earlier one piece episodes
Sep 6, 2020 9:59 AM
Dec 2014
Shirayukin said:
They should just leave honorifics like -senpai, -kun, -chan that aren't translated to English. But words like baka, and animal words still should be translated because the words makes sense when translated.

One of the issue with animal words, is that there are a number of commonly known Japanese ones but that aren't really used in English.. if they even exist. As an example こんこん (konkon) is the onomatopoeia for foxes in Japanese (it isn't obscure knowledge, as a kid or an adult and they will know it) but in English, I will draw a blank.

Shirayukin said:

I am not keen on translating to just the character name, but there is the issue of differentiating "Onii-chan", "Onii-san", "Onii-sama". Generically I might be tempted to use "Big bro", "Big brother", "Dearest/esteemed big brother?" respectively but that is still context dependent.

For one if they aren't actually siblings, then it gets complicated. I have no idea how Onee-sama got translated to "Sissy" in Railgun, but as much as I dislike it, I think it is pretty hard to translate that.

My answer to the OP @printsmyon:

Translations are lossy, especially when we are dealing with very different languages. The less you translate the less gets lost in the translation, but the least comprehensible it becomes for the person who do not know the non-translated words.

So I think that it comes down to who the translation is for. If it is an official translation, and it is expected that there are people who are watching knowing any of the commonly used words, then I think the only option is to translate everything or put notes explaining the words (though I think that is more acceptable for manga than anime).

And if it is fans for fans, then don't think it really matter. I don't think that fans really get to complain about what someone release as a hobby, and I do not think it is that unreasonable to assume that existing fans have already got a bunch of not-easily translated words memorised. But then you get to the issue of knowing where to draw the line.

In the end, I think that even if the translation isn't really want we want to be, we can just substitute it in our head based on what we know. I don't really need English subs for most shows (and when I am in Japan I will either watch unsubbed or Japanese subbed), but if I am watching with friends in English sub, then I can just ignore the subs and it won't matter if they use senpai or upperclassman.
Sep 6, 2020 10:06 AM

Oct 2017
they should be translated and properly localized as otherwise it wouldn't read and flow naturally in English. You can see this in a lot of old subs with stuff like Death Note's infamous "According to Keikaku" and the old One Piece subs using "Nakama"
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Sep 6, 2020 2:16 PM

Jan 2017
Honorifics should never be translated. Onee-sama should never be darling.
Sep 6, 2020 2:21 PM

Jun 2019
Nowadays some dub anime has some Japanese word like ''SEMPAI SAN KUN CHAN " etc... So you see they literally use subtitles as a script....
Sep 6, 2020 2:30 PM

Jul 2019
Imo honorifics that have no exact equivalent in English (like chan, kun, tan, etc) should be left untranslated, as translating them could result in ambiguity (like I’ve seen kun be translated as Mr, which is just not fitting since kun has a completely different meaning), but words that do have English counterparts (such as senpai, kouhai, onii-chan, onee-chan, san) can be translated. As one poster pointed out before, it also bugs me how translators replace onii-chan/onee-chan with the person’s name.

Other Japanese words should always be translated imo, unless there’s a specific context reason (for example I’m fine with nakama being left untranslated in One Piece, as friend/comrade will have a different meaning or connotation). Simple words like Baka should always be translated imo, unless as I just said there’s a context reason
Sep 6, 2020 2:42 PM

Dec 2014
Honorifics, no. You can have some leeway, but I prefer them not translated. I've done some translation jobs and I never change them. If it's X-san, I leave it X-san. Same with Senpai, Kouhai, Onii, Onee.

Certain words like "baka, hentai, kawaii" I change that cause that's cringe asf leaving it like that.

Words like Nyaa. It at least has to be consistent throughout the work, I don't mind if it is Nyaa or Meow, but it can't keep changing.

There's a pretty good (albeit controversial) article about this called "Confessions of a Manga translator" by Zack Davisson. Pretty good read, and it shows you how the process goes.
Sep 6, 2020 2:57 PM

Feb 2019
makes it a bit weird if you end up watching with someone who doesn't watch or hasn't seen much anime. both options are needed sometimes, the translations that they go with are usually not that great tho tbh
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime you think was carried by a single character?

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

33 by CurrentlyReading »»
42 seconds ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Jun 8

96 by Mucharetsu »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 3 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

103 by ColourWheel »»
7 minutes ago

» I can't believe an anime did this....

LenRea - Yesterday

25 by LenRea »»
13 minutes ago

» Favorite anime spring 2024

ani2016 - Yesterday

20 by hich4n_ »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.