Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Rent-A-Girlfriend
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2020 9:46 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I've read the manga for this show before and Kazuya still has a very punchable face especially with that little smirk of his. Not to mention, he has daydreams about girls like Mami all the time.

Of course, they have Mizuhara's ladylike personality until she showed a different side of her. Looks like we got a 'date' already from the first episode. Mizuhara is way out of his league.
Jul 10, 2020 9:54 AM

Apr 2020
Ahh. What a nice change of pace.

Lol they really add the horny thoughts of Kazuya. That bed scene the heck. So Grandma Sayuri and Grandama Kinoshita was bestfriend. What a twist. Horie and Amamiya did a good job for voicing the main characters. Man. Chizuru is way too gorgeous. Anyway, I like the animation and characters designs. Soundtracks was not too good. Overall, it was a decent episode. Fun and awkwardly enjoyable. Next episode we'll have more twist to come.

Character Introduced: Chizuru, Kazuya, Sayuri, Nagomi, Kuribayashi, Mami, Kibe

P.S.: Man. Stark really beat me
P.P.S.: Fact: Ichinose is better than Mizuhura
RegulusXJul 10, 2020 6:43 PM
Jul 10, 2020 9:56 AM

Jan 2016
Everything about this anime is top tier! Except for the source they decided to adapt...........

Oh well, at least it'll be somewhat worth watching solely for the animation and seeiyus

Jul 10, 2020 9:57 AM

Jul 2014
I both hate and love how good and appealing the art in this anime turned out to be, Mizuhara looked hot af in each and every scene, especially that bed scene.
Now that aside... I actually would have really liked this despite the whole renting a gf for that much amount of money. I just hate the idea of building a relationship via money... if only Kazuya was at least a decent MC that actually develops after this whole ordeal but nope.. he actually gets worst with each passing ep.... the girls arent much of a problem, plus their seiyuu really help a lot, Amamiya Sora nailed this! Her rant almost sounded close to her Aqua roles hahaha.
I wonder how long I can stomach watching this, but for now heh, I can go for more. Art and voice acting is keeping me from dropping.
Jul 10, 2020 9:58 AM

Feb 2018
A good start, I like themes like this, at least romance comedy like this is a new style, maybe. Rent a girlfriend is not a bad idea, but if you lie it's bad. How does it feel like the girl you like is close to other men? Eehh ... are they one campus?

Jul 10, 2020 9:58 AM

May 2009
Warning for all future watchers of this anime - Kazuya is ultimate SIMP. Simpy McCuck should be his 4kids name. Why would anyone waste so much money for prostitute that doesn't even let you fuck her?
Jul 10, 2020 10:00 AM

Apr 2020
When Chizuru and Kazuya hid in a blanket, their position was perfect lol.
Jul 10, 2020 10:04 AM

Jul 2014
bastek66 said:
Why would anyone waste so much money for prostitute that doesn't even let you fuck her?

True! But... who tf would want to fck a prostitue in this day and age? Even if condoms are a thing it is still risky to fck em... there are better ways to waste money!!
Jul 10, 2020 10:19 AM

Oct 2017
Rent a girlfriend anime begins and this was a interesting premise.

Mizuhara is really cute and adorable. Kazuya seems like a wimp but lets see how he acts later. Their date was quite funny and lol Kazuya's grandma is a legend. Do it as many times as u want anytime of day u want she says XD.

The op song was great. I also like the visuals in it.

Tbh just remembering all the things that happened in begining chapters kinda frustrates me but oh well they are adapting this quite well so this will be a fun ride nonetheless. Thou I hope they don't rush this.
MegamiRemJul 20, 2020 10:49 PM
Jul 10, 2020 10:33 AM

May 2009
-Stray said:
bastek66 said:
Why would anyone waste so much money for prostitute that doesn't even let you fuck her?

True! But... who tf would want to fck a prostitue in this day and age? Even if condoms are a thing it is still risky to fck em... there are better ways to waste money!!

He is slightly less pathetic than that guy who recently lost his apartment because he send few thousand dolans to popular twitch thot.
Jul 10, 2020 10:38 AM
May 2015
so do i understand that right: he is mad at her because he says shes playing with the hearts of men........
When she is literally a rental gf, so basically a getting paid to give a guy a relationship feeling. Sounds like hes a damn hypocrite.
Next thing is complaining about prostitutes not actually having sex with you because they love you but for money ?
Jul 10, 2020 10:59 AM
Jul 2019
bastek66 said:
Warning for all future watchers of this anime - Kazuya is ultimate SIMP. Simpy McCuck should be his 4kids name. Why would anyone waste so much money for prostitute that doesn't even let you fuck her?

-Stray said:
bastek66 said:

Ask that to the millionaires who spend thousands on host bars

https://youtube.com/watch?v=u1xwLUjk1uI

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tV8OhAc3Zyc

tbh, Kazuya is pathetic but not on the level that I understand the hate towards him. Is not Yuuki Rito nor Makoto Itou he is just like a protagonist of those americans b-tier romcom movies for young adults...without the sex of course.
Jul 10, 2020 11:44 AM

Jul 2014
PasserBy_PB said:
bastek66 said:

-Stray said:

Ask that to the millionaires who spend thousands on host bars

https://youtube.com/watch?v=u1xwLUjk1uI

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tV8OhAc3Zyc

tbh, Kazuya is pathetic but not on the level that I understand the hate towards him. Is not Yuuki Rito nor Makoto Itou he is just like a protagonist of those americans b-tier romcom movies for young adults...without the sex of course.

I would if I could, because they do exist. Like I said, there are better ways to waste money on considering the amount they pay for such service. Also fun fact, you can screw SOME gals on host bars, illegal yes but most of the time possible. We hate him not just because he is pathetic, but because he doesnt develop as a character, he just literally simps for Mizuhara, nothing more, nothing less, its like a feminists wet dream.
Jul 10, 2020 12:01 PM

Feb 2019
Pain https://imgur.com/a/X9XUokv

This is gonna be a rough watch, I hate Chizuru already tbh.
Jul 10, 2020 12:03 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that was... alright I guess?

I still find the whole idea of compensated dating to be quite deplorable and non-sensical. I mean at least hookups are easy to understand why people do but this is such a bizarre practice to me. Bit hard to get behind it

But hey at least it leads to a fairly novel premise for a romcom so hopefully it'll be worth it
Jul 10, 2020 12:04 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Was really looking forward to this one, this was a fun first episode.

The art is super attractive, it has bright and bold colors and the animation isnt too bad either. Mizuhara was gorgeous in practically every scene.

I wonder if this will address or have some kind of commentary on Japan's issues with relationships in some way? It's really hard to believe they actually offer services like this over there.

But I enjoyed this one. Can't wait to see more.
takkun_Jul 10, 2020 2:01 PM
Jul 10, 2020 12:07 PM

Dec 2019
I wasn't expecting to like this so much, really enjoyable so far and the animation is beautiful. I hope it says fun and doesn't become annoying later on.

»»Delievers Here««
★・・・・・・★

"Today might be the chance to grasp
the chance to let your talent bloom" -Tooru Oikawa

-Signature from Annie_Law

Jul 10, 2020 12:07 PM

Apr 2018
The quality of animation is top notch, also the seiyuus are perfect. My only complain is the MC being an idiot. Also I don’t even have to see the other girls to say that Chizuru is best girl by far.
Jul 10, 2020 12:08 PM

Nov 2010
Surprisingly good. Pretty spot on with the seiyuus.

The animation is top tier. Looking forward to the upcoming episodes.
Rinji-Jul 10, 2020 12:17 PM
Jul 10, 2020 12:26 PM
Aug 2015
Having read the manga, I already know what to expect - and I enjoyed the first episode quite a lot. I felt the pacing was good, nothing major was skipped over, which is always a good sign.

The art style looks good as well, and besides Chizuru who I think needs a bit of work, I really like the designs of the characters. Can't wait for Mami next episode!
Jul 10, 2020 12:28 PM

Nov 2016
Talk about an awkward situation Kazuya brought upon himself. Was a good start. The premise is refreshing and the fact that Kazuya is such a low-life is quite amusing. And as expected from TMS, the production is 👌🏻

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 10, 2020 12:31 PM

Nov 2014
That was rather fun, I guess? Chizuru is great (and looked so hot in glasses at the end!), but fuck Kazuya. Seriously, just 1 episode and I already hate him. Hopefully he won't destroy this anime for me.

I really liked art style and faces they (mostly Chizuru) made.
Jul 10, 2020 12:36 PM

Oct 2017
This is just pathetic. Is this what passes for Rom-Com anime these days?

Jul 10, 2020 12:36 PM

Feb 2019
Chizuru is damn cute. The MC seems to be okay but yeah he has a punchable face as many were claiming him to be.

The granny tho, she comes straight to the point lol.

Chizuru's face was damn hot when hiding in blanket.

HOTTT!!!
Jul 10, 2020 12:38 PM

Jan 2014
MIxed feelings on this one so far, while I can see how the end of it can be super enjoyable, and the concept is different. Just was up and down on the opening portion of the show.
Jul 10, 2020 12:40 PM
Oct 2016
Beginning the romcom of this season with a great start! I like our two leads Kazuya and Chizuru very much already. Kazuya can I'm sure be seen as a weak like if guy calling her out on the rental date but I empathize with Kazuya a good bit. Having just been dumped hard by his first girlfriend, and seeing that whole one month relationship as fake, lashing out on the rental date makes sense. Maybe not the most logical or right thing to do but I get it. He's pissed and is taking it out on Chizuru. Kinda shitty but I'll keep saying it's understandable. Kazuya does seem like a genuinely good guy who is just really hurt.

Really got into the comedy during that hospital visit. Crazy coincidence both Kazuya and Chizuru grandmas are right down the hall from each other. Even though Chizuru said it using her rental act she might be right that it's written in the stars. Have to commend her acting ability to come up with explanations on the spot. Them getting trapped under the bed sheet together is a classic troupe that I liked here. Kazuya tried to go for it but got the foot, ouch. Making that joke about him getting hard but with Chizuru all wrapped around ya who wouldn't, it would be a very normal twenty years old reaction. Things ended on good terms between them agreeing to both make amends with their family. Going to the same college definitely isn't gonna help them move on.
Jul 10, 2020 12:44 PM

Mar 2016
I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. wtf. Maybe because I don't really care much about 'romance' that I'm not bothered by the setting. It's just that so far they both have strong personalities and interact in interesting ways.

Just a solidly structured, entertaining first ep. Art is nice too.
syncrogazerJul 10, 2020 12:55 PM
Jul 10, 2020 12:45 PM

Aug 2013
I've read some chapters on this and I've never liked Kazuya and his outburst was annoying.

That bed scene tho...

Chizuru is definitely best girl.

Jul 10, 2020 12:54 PM

Mar 2019
Oh boi. Already love it. Everything is great. Story, setting, characters. Everything!

Those parents and grandmas are simply the best...laughed so hard when they spoke. #sotrue

5000 yen = 46,75 USD. It is cheap or expensive??? Hard to say.... For a college student 50 is a lot of money...... But still cheaper than some other stuffs...
Jul 10, 2020 12:56 PM

Dec 2014
Even with the cringefest that was Kazuya being mad of his fake gf being well... fake, it was legitimately fun seeing both grandmas talking about marriage and stuff.

Mizuhara has a nice cute design, and I actually enjoy more her "true" side than the perfect fake one. If I was the MC, I think I would ask her for just be just the normal tsundere herself. Don't know if this is kinda weird or not.
Jul 10, 2020 12:56 PM

Jan 2016
I guess I am one of the few that like Kazuya (relatable guy).
Nice first episode, he got seduced by the charm of Chizuru already, guessing by the end of the episode maybe he won't have to pay anymore to see her.
Overall, pretty good animation and music, love the opening by the peggies!
Looking forward to next week's episode~!

Jul 10, 2020 12:58 PM

Aug 2013
Absolutely loved it. I didn't even expect I'll like it so much. Definitely in my top of this season.
Also, Amamiya Sora ❤️
Edit, just checked rest of the cast and wow. All my favorite seiyuu are there.
rsc-plJul 10, 2020 1:06 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 10, 2020 1:01 PM
Feb 2020
Might sound lame to others but 10/10 first episode. I just hope it dosent end up like nisekoi dragging on and on. From what i can tell it will at least have more advanced relationships than school animes ( i really hope so ).

Forgot to add that i really like the style. Backgrounds just seem like colored manga panels which is nice cause its not all depressing colors like Yesterday wo Uttate had.

Pls domt turn into a harem with an mc who never gets in a relationship/cant decide/ is also a whiteknight/never grows as a person
NotificationsJul 10, 2020 1:04 PM
Jul 10, 2020 1:04 PM

Apr 2016
It’s a good first episode. I enjoyed it a lot, it was unexpected, honestly.
I think Kazuya isn’t that bad, by the way.
HectorBlazeJul 10, 2020 1:09 PM
Jul 10, 2020 1:14 PM
May 2015
I'm not planning on watching this one right now but I went ahead and watched the first episode anyways...God, the whole premise is absolutely cringey and I feel bad for the men in Japan (and anywhere else on this planet where these types of services exist) who unironically uses this service..

On the other hand though, I.....strangely slightly enjoyed this episode and I think it has potential but like I said, I ain't watching it right now. I'll watch it once it finishes airing.

3/5

Jul 10, 2020 1:15 PM

Aug 2016
I've also read the manga...
As an adaptation, this is spot on

FireFistYK said:
Everything about this anime is top tier! Except for the source they decided to adapt...........

Oh well, at least it'll be somewhat worth watching solely for the animation and seeiyus

But I sadly have to agree with this
Jul 10, 2020 1:21 PM
Jul 2018
I’m not expecting much from this anime. Building a relationship through money is a bit annoying for me but it will be interesting to see how this goes. Feel like the plot is gonna be really predictable.
Jul 10, 2020 1:29 PM

May 2015
It's ok, pretty relaxing with nice comedy. I'd like to see where this is going. More awkward situations, apparently.
Jul 10, 2020 1:30 PM
Jul 2019
Stupid guy he basically squandered his money by asking that Ho for a second date.
Jul 10, 2020 1:41 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The rental app though sure produced quite the diamond for Kazuya though in the form of Chizuru. Still its amusing seeing the mc get angry over the quality of the service that she provided though only to see him get overwhelmed again the next day. Chizuru's explosion though sure was fun. The grandmother sure loved to drop bombshells though. The close range encounter between the two within the hospital sure was a fun but tense moment between the two. The meeting of grandmothers sure served to make their situation much more difficult to extract out off. The little heart to heart between the two that showed Kazuya's family situation as well as how alike it was to Chizuru sure was nice. While the relations between the two came close to fracturing the spark that was ignited here sure was pretty. Overall a solid opening ep that did well to introduce the characters of Kazuya and Chizuru as well as setting the tone for their adventures together in their relationship. The last scene sure was quite the surprise.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2020 1:44 PM
Jan 2015
Rent A Girlfriend? More like Rent An Aqua
Jul 10, 2020 1:58 PM
Anime Emperor

Jan 2019
So many guys over here mad at the MC for no reason lol Get real, folks, this is Japan. Stuff like renting a girlfriend actually happens there. I like how the characters aren't afraid to talk about sex and jerking off and I like the comedy. Also I am tired of high school romantic comedies so a college setting is wayyy more appealing to me. Might actually be a hidden gem this one.
Jul 10, 2020 1:59 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Compensated dating, huh? Life in Japan must be tough for soft men like Kazuya. I don't know if I'll keep watching this since the premise is a bit cringey but I suppose they'll turn it around at some point.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 10, 2020 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
Interesting.. Nothing out of this world but its enjoyable.
Jul 10, 2020 2:07 PM

Jan 2020
Big bruh moment for Kazuya
Jul 10, 2020 2:08 PM
Feb 2019
Was recently thinking of reading this but seen that it's getting an anime. Will most likely read the manga afterwards. Mc isn't great.
Jul 10, 2020 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
Lionel13927 said:
So many guys over here mad at the MC for no reason lol Get real, folks, this is Japan. Stuff like renting a girlfriend actually happens there. I like how the characters aren't afraid to talk about sex and jerking off and I like the comedy. Also I am tired of high school romantic comedies so a college setting is wayyy more appealing to me. Might actually be a hidden gem this one.

Nice words.
And i couldnt agree more on being a bit tired of highschool stuff ahah
As a college student, feels good to watch shows like this one. Nowadays, more have been commin out because it was rare to find shows like this..about adults.
Jul 10, 2020 2:19 PM

Dec 2016
Haven't watchet the ep yet, but I'm actually a fan of the manga.

Well, at least when I started reading it last year. It had this "heavy" atmosphere around the protagonist, about what he feels like, what he thinks about his actions, etc.

The manga itself had more of these "drama" moments than cute ones. It kinda changed from what it used to be, but it is still great
Jul 10, 2020 2:31 PM

Oct 2012
Well, I guess it was okay.

The animation could have been better at times but then again the manga has those quirks too. The story-wise, we'll see. This was almost 1:1 copy of original chapters and while I imagined bit different voice for Mizuhara, there are many twists coming for this story later on.

So the only real question is if they make it enjoyable and memorable in animated form.

Oh, and the OP looked really nice.
Jul 10, 2020 2:36 PM

Sep 2016
Why would anyone be serious towards the plot of this show. I thought it's a consensus that we should focus solely on how good-looking the girls are and might be.

Ah yes nice OP +1
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RegulusX - Jul 17, 2020

294 by afromarco005 »»
Apr 9, 9:32 AM

Poll: » overhated, overlooked, and genuinely a real depiction of romance. ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Nov 1, 2023

79 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 26, 9:05 AM

» What if Rent a girlfriend had Good story, Good romance and Good character development ( 1 2 )

Reckless_weeb - Mar 6

54 by kurayamiberkay »»
Mar 22, 10:06 AM

» Do Japanese men are really like this?

mufarari - Mar 8

13 by KayKimii »»
Mar 19, 4:21 PM

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2020

215 by iikpp4 »»
Mar 10, 5:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.