3It was OK
22.3%
2Disliked it
17.5%
1Hated it
20.4%
Average 3.0
103 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2020 6:52 AM

Nov 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Hasta La Vista, Baby"

I feel like this a good spot to take a break to digest.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 9, 2020 6:57 AM
Jan 2015
Seriously, I really dislike this cult arc. I mean, I feel this arc so out of context...
Jul 9, 2020 7:30 AM

Jan 2015
Honestly, I didn’t really like this arc, but damn this episode got me into tears from start to finish
Jul 9, 2020 10:30 AM

Aug 2015
Impressive soundtrack (the ending!). The old man's sacrifice is honorable, it's sad. But his development was introduced awkwardly.

This arc was overall a bit average. I found it difficult to feel compassion for all those believers because it is difficult for me to understand their decision to want to stay (and die with Mother), I suppose they are loyal but... I think that it lacks development.
Jul 9, 2020 11:24 AM

Aug 2009
Goddamn, Ushio Kensuke flexing his soundtrack skills. Absolutely marvelous.

A good end to the cult arc, even though multiple things happened between multiple uninteresting characters, but I think it can be forgiven.
Really wondering where they're gonna go now.
Jul 9, 2020 12:16 PM

Nov 2013
At least they left the town, finally - this pushes me to watch the next episode. This arc made no sense from start to finish. I regret wasting my time on this garbage; should've skipped to the final episode to see how it ends.
Jul 9, 2020 6:16 PM

Nov 2015
Honestly, this arc was a mess. How could a whole city have no damage (even with kintsugi) from a massive earthquake!? That was such a fever dream, I really thought the character would wake up from exhaustion or something but nope we were stuck with Daniel.

i laughed when the kid got crushed. The timing was so perfect.
Jul 9, 2020 9:28 PM

May 2015
lmao this episode was hilarious. The way the kid stood up, spoke and then abruptly died wow. Also, is it just me or the animation looked like it was missing several in-between frames? Never seen that inconsistency in Science Saru before.
Holy shit the ed song was fire.
I found it if anyone wants to listen to it again
https://youtu.be/cAp3xg1oyL4
anikevinJul 9, 2020 9:36 PM
Jul 9, 2020 10:46 PM

May 2016
This easily one of the worst shows this year holy Christ. The animation was comical this episode lol Kite running around...🤣🤣🤣🤣
TeamDalaiLanaJul 9, 2020 11:14 PM
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jul 10, 2020 2:59 AM

Oct 2017
Damn those last lines from her was powerful "Wherever we go, it won't be the afterlife". Their will to live is strong and they'll do anything to survive.

Well the poeple of Sun city really were nice and not fishy. This was surprising for me ngl. Maybe I suspect to much after watching many betrayals in different series haha.
Jul 10, 2020 3:07 AM
Jul 2018
TeamDalaiLana said:
This easily one of the worst shows this year holy Christ. The animation was comical this episode lol Kite running around...🤣🤣🤣🤣

agreed, it gets a 1/10 for me.
Jul 10, 2020 6:31 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yeah, that unspoken patient was Onodera. He told the prediction right at their nose about the sinks. Luckily, they still blessed by a good fortune. Finally Ayumu done something useful on this one, after so much annoyance she made on the entire previous episode. Its not a bad camp at all. Sorry for my disrespect on this touchable moment of their place. Old man be a guard, absurd foreigner clown still absurd, and the leader, sinks together with her retainer. How sweet. No, i am no crying ....

Best episode so far. A solid episode. Great direction. Attachable back sound and the closing. I was'nt lie at all. They need to survived ....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 11, 2020 12:29 AM
Discord Moderator
Feb 2014
Soundtrack for this episode was really good. Flexing his soundtrack skills. As for the cult arc, was surprised they were good tbh. episode was meh though.
Jul 11, 2020 1:41 AM
Jul 2013
I can't stop laughing at that rock hitting the kid in the head and the delayed scream afterwards - fucking stellar
Jul 11, 2020 4:36 AM

Dec 2016
I know this anime wants to be serious and all but it's just so comical to me, when they were crying I couldn't help but laugh especially when that debris fell onto that kid right after he said thank you...
Love that music, it's so grand.
Jul 11, 2020 4:39 AM

Jul 2015
Expected the cult to have some dark secret but I guess I was wrong, pretty okay place. Quite a lot of characters died here, didn't really care for the cook or Daniel but pretty sad that gramps was left behind...
Perhaps my fucked up sense of humor, but I found the scene where the rock hit the oracle kid pretty hilarious.

Jul 12, 2020 12:59 AM

Oct 2008
This show has good moments but the pacing is so quick, the individual character moments so thin that we never get enough time to properly understand these people before the show quickly pulls the rug out under them.

I get that life can end fast and suddenly and that that's a prevailing element but it doesn't matter if proper care hasn't been given to the characters the show focuses on. Sure it's a bit sad gramps is gone, he had a bit of time. But the cult, the quiet kid who talked suddenly, all the people shooting each other over money, all great opportunities for characters to have powerful moments. HAD we been given more time to develop these plot lines, instead they're just filler while we wait for our MC's to show up on screen.

Another thing is, Yuasa's style doesn't really go with this mor realistic setting. The wonky animation and visuals are great when it feels free and creative like in Ping Pong or Devilman. Where the world is being experienced by larger than life characters or to express emotions, moods and mindsets in a creative way. Here it's stripped down but keeps that jank which in turn hurts the entire show because there's none of that depth and creativity elsewhere to make up for it.

It's a shame really, a real wasted opportunity so far.
Jul 12, 2020 9:39 AM

Dec 2015
And that boy got killed (where the old guy thought it was his grandson) - and it was ... funny how they made this scene. Suddenly talking. Others happy. Then boy dead. :D

This arc was totally unnecessary. They could have omitted the old guy, clown guy (Daniel) and the cult arc - saving a few episodes or focusing on better stuff.
Jul 12, 2020 9:41 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Maybe I have a problem but man did I laugh my ass off when the kid got hit and killed by the falling rock.

Good riddance to this useless cult and Daniel.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 13, 2020 7:24 AM

May 2015
Rest in Pepperoni Daniel.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 13, 2020 7:26 AM

Sep 2015
This show is so messy fr
Jul 14, 2020 12:59 AM

Dec 2016
"he finally talked" insert Bonk
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jul 14, 2020 4:56 AM
Apr 2019
Alright, I'm wholly convinced the creators of this series went on hard drugs right about here; granted they're back on the run which is the way I'd thought this series would go but that whole subplot about the grandpa and the cult was just too convoluted
Jul 15, 2020 1:32 PM

Mar 2009
I can't believe this shit lasted three episodes. Terrible.
Jul 16, 2020 12:59 PM

Jun 2017
This show really is something, I wonder what'll happen next.

united1175 said:
Alright, I'm wholly convinced the creators of this series went on hard drugs right about here; granted they're back on the run which is the way I'd thought this series would go but that whole subplot about the grandpa and the cult was just too convoluted

lol I agree
Jul 18, 2020 3:10 PM

Oct 2019
Okay so the kid cried over some old dude he knew for 2 days but not over his father? Yeah makes sense...

I really wish that kid died tbh, I'm so sick of this random english.
Jul 19, 2020 4:31 AM

Jun 2013
To think that bed-ridden man was Onodera this entire time. I thought he was another foreigner who they were keeping hostage.

This episode was a chaotic mess. Wished that gramps could've shot people while riding his wheelchair nimbus.

I'm guessing Daniel wants to stay because he wants to hear from his dead daughter, the bear had the name Emily or Emma on it. Perhaps that's why he wants to stay in the cult.

RIP Gramps. He was one of my favorite characters. Honestly, I liked him for being able to shut up Go, he kind of saw him as his own grandchild and went Rambo on the cultists.
臭い-
Jul 19, 2020 5:09 PM

Oct 2013
About the whole arc, I think it was okay and added some more depth to the world after the cataclysm.

Oh, so bed-ridden patient was Onodera, not miraculously saved father of main characters? Great! I would do a facepalm gesture in from of my screen if that almost impossible scenario would've become reality. Y'know, technically - knowing how many ass pulls happened in the anime history - that was not impossible to happen, even in that kind of show, lol.

Its conclusion, however, was really touching and somehow poetic I must say.

What's gonna happen next, I wonder?
AdnashJul 19, 2020 5:13 PM
Jul 22, 2020 7:02 AM
Jul 2018
That was such a retarded episode lmao. Everything just felt so out of place and random, the subplot about the child and the old man, then the dudes who tried to stole gold and money from the safe, plus the janky ass animation, it's just so funny. I liked the first episode but after that it just went completely downhill, at least it's kinda entertaining while being bad.
Jul 22, 2020 8:07 AM

Feb 2019
The cult arc was stupid.

But this is the only episode so far that made me cry.

Epic music.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Jul 22, 2020 9:10 AM
Mar 2016
This entire episode was meh. Not much to really mock here other than obvious bits. Also funny how we finally get a decent death scene, and it's for two different extras, one of whom survives to die off-screen. Really liked the falling rock, the dumb fight over the gold, and oji-san's last stand.

At least Daniel is gone. Now we just need to kill off Go and the mom, now that her cringey side candy is dead.
Jul 23, 2020 9:09 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The soundtrack is absolutely stellar. Absolutely top notch.

I cannot say the same about this arc though. While I'm not as negative about it as some of the people here, it seems like too many things were happening that felt poorly connected to each other. Too many random happenings. The death of the kid felt unintentionally comedic and will probably become a meme sooner rather than later.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 2, 2020 6:59 PM
Aug 2020
i didn't really expect to be that attached to gramps lol. fucking awesome way to die though. i just wish there was more backstory on some of the 'cult' members, like the sumo wrestler guy and the kid.
Aug 3, 2020 10:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
DatRandomDude said:
Maybe I have a problem but man did I laugh my ass off when the kid got hit and killed by the falling rock.

I know right, I couldn't help but burst out too. God, I feel so bad.

Whatever the case, I'm just really glad this whole arc is over now. Gramps whole plan turned out to be highly questionable and it makes no sense whatsoever why he decided to kill two people in the process.

And then there's the Priestess, or whoever. What was the point of the sex scene from earlier xD?
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 4, 2020 5:19 PM

Sep 2017
So bizzare. Some parts felt weirdly powerful, but it just feels like a mess and I'm conflicted. This felt like more poetic story telling than trying to have a sound, logical plot. I mean that building collapsed right as everyone just finished saying how they wanted to die together. And the EQ happens right after Ayumu finishes ranting about it. The "oracle" is also very strange.

The old mans character is such a weird one. He was so many things I feel they needed more time to flesh it out. From a raving drug addict, to a sad man that wanted to find his grandkid, to a selfless hero. Idk, this show is whack and this arc was even more so.
Aug 4, 2020 5:21 PM

Sep 2017
_MushiRock11_ said:
DatRandomDude said:

I know right, I couldn't help but burst out too. God, I feel so bad.

Same tho. It was pretty hilarious ngl.
Aug 15, 2020 5:42 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So many events but they are all weird...xD and I still can't bear the kid when he's speaking English please shut up please
Aug 20, 2020 4:39 AM

Jan 2020
Why do you guys keep calling it a cult? Their leader seems based and underratedly powerful.
Aug 25, 2020 11:40 PM

Aug 2016
Ah, so this is a comedy, right? That kid’s death was hilarious. I wonder why everyone, including the gaijin, were so set on dying there. I’m glad that arc has ended.
Aug 27, 2020 8:15 PM

Aug 2016
Mykasan said:

i laughed when the kid got crushed. The timing was so perfect.

Same tho haha absolutely hilarious.
Aug 28, 2020 6:49 AM

Nov 2016
Another anime that proved that Netflix really don't know how to make good anime... It started as decent anime maybe for 5-6/10 but after 2nd episode it became terrible and unwatchable.
Plot and animation are terrible Netflix really should stop making anime if they won't improve quality of these 2...
I was hyped because I like natural disasters movies/serials but this one is too bad.
PS: this didn't influenced my rating but please stop putting english or any other language into anime it's pretty annoying to listen to.
Sep 6, 2020 2:52 AM
Oct 2019
God damn the Soundtrack was incredible....

Also good send off for Oji-san
Feb 3, 2021 8:54 PM

Sep 2018
I don't understand the cult.
Feb 3, 2021 9:18 PM

Jul 2016
And so, this underdeveloped and awfully absurd arc comes to its end. Overall, a complete mess from start to finish. Oldman's send off was pretty badass tho, not gonna lie.

Episode's ED track was also pretty epic, by the way.
Sep 1, 2022 10:15 PM
Oct 2020
It's a miracle!!!
Sep 11, 2023 3:41 AM
Aug 2018
I'm still waiting for someone to comment on the girls leg wound..
Mar 30, 10:25 PM

Dec 2019
Jesus, that kid died all of a sudden, it was fucking brutal. The thing did get a bit action-movie-like by the end, though, it sorta ruined the flow, but it was a great episode nonetheless.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gadottinho - Jul 9, 2020

60 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 30, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gadottinho - Jul 9, 2020

70 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 29, 11:55 PM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gadottinho - Jul 9, 2020

58 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 29, 11:32 PM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 9 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Jul 9, 2020

31 by DontBodyYaSelf »»
Sep 30, 2023 4:33 AM

» why is everyone hating on this series?

spycfaib - Mar 21, 2021

9 by DragonMirax »»
Sep 28, 2023 5:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.