Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 9, 2020 12:39 AM

Sep 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I dont know if I created the post right, but anyway.
I realy liked this first episode it gave a good context and showed the characters, and great soundtrack by ushio kensuke, I realy loved it.
Jul 9, 2020 12:47 AM
Jan 2015
Really nice episode, though it escalates way too quickly imo. I was at first worried about the animation quality, but seems to be quite well
Jul 9, 2020 1:31 AM
Feb 2016
Holy crap what a first episode. It felt so intense and terrifying. I'm already invested. Yuasa keeps making quality shows.

EDIT: a minor thing that I thought was odd was the whole tsunami plane scene. Like how did the mother out swim that incoming tsunami?
EmperorKaidoJul 9, 2020 6:28 AM
Jul 9, 2020 4:24 AM

Feb 2020
I has been waiting for new Masaaki Yuasa´s work and ...

It has been brutal, what a first episode!!!!
If the rest of the series is just like this one, a serious contender for anime of the year for sure!
Jul 9, 2020 4:25 AM

Nov 2016
Holy, what a grippinlgly intense start as you would expect from a catastrophe drama such as this one. Obviously trying to appeal primarily to our emotions and it worked for me. The animation during the quake, the voice acting and the directing, they all fit well with what this anime is going for.

Great so far and I hope this stays as engaging.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 9, 2020 4:57 AM

Sep 2018
Great first episode but disaster shows often are great showing the disaster and drop off dramatically.

I like that they didn't do 3 boring episodes showing the characters before anything happens like Hollywood films where it goes 45-60 mins before anything happens, they just jumped straight into it and turned it up to 11.
Jul 9, 2020 5:14 AM

Sep 2017
That episode ending was brutal
Jul 9, 2020 8:26 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
the tsunami scene was pretty fucking weird but outside of that, it was a pretty good first episode.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 9, 2020 8:50 AM

Nov 2013
There's quite a number of WTF-s in this episode.
The animation is terrible, though towards the end i realized it's still watchable.
Extremely low budget?
Jul 9, 2020 10:01 AM

Apr 2009
This was extremely hard to watch because of the content.
Jul 9, 2020 10:19 AM
Apr 2016
yeah the animation is not very good. The realization is weird too and it s hard to follow. The plot seems really chaotic. If it was supposed to hook my interest it has failed. I want to know what i am watching before considering watching the next episodes...
Franck_NicolasJul 9, 2020 10:23 AM
Jul 9, 2020 10:49 AM

Oct 2013
It had good animation, as usual acting as pleb-filter.
Also a lot happened in the first episode, I wonder where it will go from here.
Jul 9, 2020 12:50 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A strong start. let's see if they can build from this. As someone said above, disaster stories start strong and then whimper away.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 9, 2020 4:43 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Finished watching the first episode by now. Actually, its quite interesting theme using an earthquake and the situations after the calamity. I might think of realistic feeling over that scenery. Alas, the sounds over the sinks were good, really served the actual condition. Still, i don't quite attached to the art style and the animation quite awful on this show. So, yeah, let me finished the storyline first before i make some justification. So far, its quite detached some imaginery when shit happened there. Very well, then....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 9, 2020 7:19 PM

May 2015
First episode is just like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0's
It got pretty gory towards the end
Jul 9, 2020 10:11 PM

Jun 2012
This is scarier than Covid.
Jul 9, 2020 10:47 PM
Jul 2019
This anime is terrifying and very sad. A lot of people are pointing out bad animation, but I guess I just looked over it bcz of the plot. I’m going to continue watching this :0
Jul 9, 2020 10:51 PM

Oct 2018
It's like 2 am rn where I am, I was gonna just casually watch the first ep but within the first couple of seconds, I already knew I was gonna love it
1738 crack that remix dbz amv (18+)
Jul 9, 2020 11:25 PM

Jan 2017
As everyone else said, that escalated quickly! I was hella thrown off; I did not expect that kind of drama from what I thought was going to be a happy olympic show, going from the main promo art cover
Jul 9, 2020 11:26 PM
Feb 2020
Animation was pretty stellar for what I had expected, no complaints there. Story seems to be just beginning it’s build up, giving us the premise and some character introduction as a good first episode should.

Hope it keeps the drama and fast pace. 5/5
Jul 9, 2020 11:29 PM

Oct 2017
I really love the vibe this anime gives off, damn they went full throttle with the disaster. That totally scared me, the soundtracks adds to the scary vibe. I'm really intrigued with just one episode.
Jul 10, 2020 2:02 AM

Jun 2019
Shit, that was scary.
Jul 10, 2020 6:07 AM
Feb 2015
A lot has happened in this first episode, no, in the first 5 minutes of the episode.

Jul 10, 2020 7:07 AM

Mar 2016
Does anyone know what exactly happened with the Tsunami that was approaching the plane?

It looked like it would hit them real quick but then there was no mention of it.
Jul 10, 2020 9:08 AM

Dec 2015
Nice start. And pretty violent. The random English lines though were weird.
Jul 10, 2020 1:36 PM

Nov 2019
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
The animation is terrible, though towards the end i realized it's still watchable.
Extremely low budget?

Another person who knows nothing about animation. The animation is great
Jul 10, 2020 2:34 PM

Nov 2013
Supercuecaaa said:
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Extremely low budget?

Another person who knows nothing about animation. The animation is great

hahahaha whatever you say bud. Enjoy it!
Jul 10, 2020 10:33 PM
Discord Moderator
Feb 2014
QPR said:
Great first episode but disaster shows often are great showing the disaster and drop off dramatically.

I like that they didn't do 3 boring episodes showing the characters before anything happens like Hollywood films where it goes 45-60 mins before anything happens, they just jumped straight into it and turned it up to 11.

Have you watched Tokyo Magnitude 8.0? Has the same feel as this so if you enjoy it, you should watch that as well.

As for the first episode, I really enjoyed it, the only problem I have with it is I felt the disaster came about too quickly, but that's just a minor thing. I really like the music playing.
Jul 10, 2020 10:48 PM
Jul 2018
this looks promising, the first episode was intense but still enjoyable
Jul 11, 2020 1:52 AM

Jul 2015
Pretty brutal first episode, kinda reminded me of Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Love the animation also love how they don't hold back with the people dying and showing how some people are cruel in a situation like that. Looking forward to the rest of this.

Jul 11, 2020 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
I didn't expect the end. That was a good form of intrigue
Jul 11, 2020 4:27 PM
Nov 2018
omg that was epic in a despairing way. the mood was done so right. seeing all of the track team dead was crazy. the entire family living was pretty sus, but i guess plot armor. soundtrack is awesome
Jul 11, 2020 6:53 PM
Jun 2020
Well, that was intense. Had to pause while the second earthquake is occurring because it reminded me of my past experience with the phenomenon.
Jul 12, 2020 4:59 AM

May 2015
Ah yes. Our city or even entire nation may be doomed, but You know what? WE ARE GONNA TAKE FREAKING FAMILY PHOTO xDDD
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 16, 2020 12:11 PM
Jan 2017
Another version of tokyo magnitude 8.0
but more mess that i though.. wtf people die, blood and gore.. uhhh.. this good..
Jul 18, 2020 11:27 AM

Jun 2013
Definitely reminds me of Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. The art style is very reminiscent of Devliman Crybaby and a bit of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

I'm loving it so far. I wish we had more of these types of series instead of the generic isekai, shounen, regurgitated shit that we get every single season.

The last part of dead bodies falling from the sky was pretty confusing though. At first, I thought it was from a plane but I'm thinking how many people were on helicopters? It's chaotic and some things don't make sense but I don't care. It's the first fucking episode, it's not supposed to make sense.
臭い-
Jul 18, 2020 1:00 PM

Feb 2019
Quite rushed and cheesy for a first episode, in my opinion, but maybe it will get better as soon as they will show us what those earthquakes left behind .
I found the mother funny, though. Out of nowhere, in the middle of chaos, she wants to take a picture. Hey guys, remember when there were falling corpses from the sky? Hold on, I have a picture. Good times, innit?
Oh, God - the lives people try to lead. Oh, God - what a world they try to lead them in!

Jul 19, 2020 2:38 AM

Dec 2018
That have to be the most ugly character animations I have ever seen in a anime

The rest looks fine but the characters look like a five year old have doodle them in kindergarden

Jul 19, 2020 5:05 AM

Oct 2013
I really liked the atmosphere of cataclysm in this episode and how realistically it was depicted. It's cool to see something fresh with characters that are drawn more realistic as well. It makes everything more serious.
Jul 21, 2020 5:30 PM
Mar 2016
So, I saw this and was immediately reminded of Magnitude 8.0, another good survival anime I wished was darker.

My thoughts in this episode were mostly WTF. I don't really mind the minimalist character design, but it made it extra difficult to figure out who the characters were. Especially the mom. It was a while before I figured out that she was the mother in the family; hers is the worst so far.

They really sped through each character"s predicament. I was thinking, "wow, how are they gonna get out of this,". But nope, it just happens. The dad goes from dangling in the middle of a construction site by himself after sending his crew home, to losing his motorcycle and almost being crushed by a skyscraper, to somehow miraculously recovering their yard lights intact, and being the first to the waypoint. How did he get down? Did he cut the harness? How did he not break his legs? How did he manage to get out of the street rubble? How did he get back first? And the tsunami just came and went like a wave at the beach.

Every character was injured, but they're all somehow okay. And who is Haruo? They kept awkwardly saying Nanami and Haruo, but only Nanami was on screen.

And lastly, I get that running is a normal response, but the daughter didn't even try to help anyone. Like the crushed girl is obviously dead, but the girl next to you looks relatively unharmed. Maybe try waking her up?

And again, I cannot get over the yard lights and how they were introduced. I howled with laughter. Here's hoping it either gets better or stays this level of trash. Either way would be entertaining. Bodies falling from the sky (why would you not look up or check your face when blood is raining down on you?) support the latter.
Jul 21, 2020 5:32 PM
Mar 2016
Jewsefin said:
Quite rushed and cheesy for a first episode, in my opinion, but maybe it will get better as soon as they will show us what those earthquakes left behind .
I found the mother funny, though. Out of nowhere, in the middle of chaos, she wants to take a picture. Hey guys, remember when there were falling corpses from the sky? Hold on, I have a picture. Good times, innit?

Reminds me of how my relatives took family photos at funerals because we got together so rarely. Like... This is not the time for this.
Jul 22, 2020 5:33 AM

Feb 2019
Could definitely do with a slightly higher budget. Also, some things (like the tsunami and helicopter scene) were a bit random and over the top.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Jul 23, 2020 10:05 PM

Jul 2020
Masaaki Yuasa´s work is always gruesome and I expected nothing less. But, none of the character I have the beginning connection with. I can't even remember their names.

The characters so far seem so flat besides the main runner girl because she seemed to have a real reaction to the situation she was put into.
[c]

[/c]
Jul 28, 2020 2:52 PM
Jul 2013
Nice touch with Ayumu breaking down, but corpses raining down WTF?
Jul 30, 2020 9:05 AM
Mar 2019
That sudden earthquake made my heart drop. I didn't expect it to hit that hard. Made me feel sad and panicked. But the pacing seemed to fast. Like how did the city suddenly go in flames? And how did the mother outswim the tsunami
Aug 3, 2020 7:39 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Yikes, that was one insane finish right there!

Didn't expect that hard an earthquake though, to be honest. I haven't been in one severe one myself and I'm grateful for that once again.

Hopefully, this'll be just as good for the remaining episodes.

Not a fan of the Op by the way, kind of felt lame in comparison to the Openings of Devilman Crybaby and It's Okay to Not be Okay.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 14, 2020 2:02 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The world is destroyed, first thing to do... take a family picture.
Aug 16, 2020 10:23 AM
Sep 2015
Okay, I'm kinda glad they showed the earthquakes in the first episode (and not just in the very end)

I was shocked that Ayumu left that injured girl but I'm glad she actually cried about it in the end? It makes her seem more human.

Who is that detective guy wearing glasses?
He suspicious.
Aug 16, 2020 10:25 AM
Sep 2015
Yuri-Crusader said:
That have to be the most ugly character animations I have ever seen in a anime

The rest looks fine but the characters look like a five year old have doodle them in kindergarden

Hmm i agree with you... But again there are anime shows like Aku no Hana that look worse.
Aug 22, 2020 5:09 AM

Mar 2020
it started raining humans in this bitch
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 6 Discussion

FMmatron - Jul 9, 2020

46 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 30, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gadottinho - Jul 9, 2020

60 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 30, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gadottinho - Jul 9, 2020

70 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 29, 11:55 PM

Poll: » Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 Episode 9 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Jul 9, 2020

31 by DontBodyYaSelf »»
Sep 30, 2023 4:33 AM

» why is everyone hating on this series?

spycfaib - Mar 21, 2021

9 by DragonMirax »»
Sep 28, 2023 5:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.