Forum Settings
Forums

Are you afraid the cashier judges you in the supermarket?

New
May 30, 2020 9:13 AM

Oct 2012
We all do it - we buy too many sweets, some junk food, weird items nobody usually talks about...

Does it matter to you what the cashier thinks? Do you go out of your way to make sure the cashier doesn't judge you? Nobody likes being judged. But is judging a customer actually okay, for example, when a young teenage girl buys traditional razor blades? Should she be called out on it?

Bonus question:
Do you try to maintain your facade as an upstanding citizen or are you just shamelessly giving in to your delinquency, not caring anymore what other people think?

Personally, I always make sure to buy at least one (1) vegetable with my beer. To make sure they know I'm healthy.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

Then why am I dead?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 30, 2020 9:15 AM

Sep 2017
If a cashier stares at me, I just smirk back at them.
May 30, 2020 9:17 AM

Aug 2013
I do have some hedonistic tendencies, so sometimes I buy x-amount of 6-packs too many, or I buy a bunch of ice cream or 50 liters of diet coke. It happens, and it is my money, so who is to judge. Likewise, the cashiers themselves probably just want to go home after a long shift, and they couldn't care less what their generic customer bought; I pity them if they think that my doing my shopping would make their day (I mean hey, who wouldn't want Moog shopping at their place, amirite? ;) )
Point being, no, I don't care. Cashiers couldn't give a fuck, they just want to go home to their own lives, let alone judge other people's lives...
May 30, 2020 9:25 AM
Jul 2018
I always use U-scan (if those are available), and never buy more than 1-2 small bags of groceries anyway.

*And to tell you the secret, cashiers don't care what you buy, they only don't like when you buy a buttload of stuff, still shopping 10 min before closing time or act like a jerk to them.
May 30, 2020 9:36 AM

Nov 2017
Lol, what, no 'cause I don't care what strangers think of my shopping choices. &++ I'm pretty sure the cashier doesn't either. They're often very nice to me and we tend to have a pleasant conversation if there's no line
May 30, 2020 9:37 AM

Sep 2018
I can absolutely guarantee you the cashier does not give a fuck about you or what you buy. the only thing a cashier will judge you for is buying your shit a minute before the store closes.
May 30, 2020 9:46 AM

Jul 2016
As a cashier, most of the time the answer is no. I have so many customers to get through in a day and, while I might have an opinion in the moment, I'll have forgotten in five minutes because we're just too busy to care about whatever it was you bought. There are exceptions, sure, like if a customer is buying a questionable amount of one kind of item, but most of the time, we just can't be arsed.
May 30, 2020 9:57 AM

Jun 2019
No, because I never buy junk food or alcohol. But I do not like when the cashier makes remarks on what I buy.

Bonus question: I am an upstanding citizen, it is not just a façade.
May 30, 2020 10:00 AM

Oct 2012
Meusnier said:
No, because I never buy junk food or alcohol. But I do not like when the cashier makes remarks on what I buy.

Has a cashier ever commented on what you bought?

Then why am I dead?
May 30, 2020 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
No. I do not see cashiers as living, breathing people. They're usually just blobs of meat who'll swipe my card.
May 30, 2020 10:08 AM

Jun 2019
Illuminatli said:
Meusnier said:

Yes, multiple times. I had more than once people saying stuff like: "Oh! You buy a lot of rice!" Then I would ignore them but still get pissed because I could not care less about their opinion. I do not mind talking to them though.

@operationvalkyri Hum, that sounds a bit cold; do you say at least "Good evening" to those creatures?
May 30, 2020 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
Meusnier said:
Illuminatli said:

Yes, multiple times. I had more than once people saying stuff like: "Oh! You buy a lot of rice!" Then I would ignore them but still get pissed because I could not care less about their opinion. I do not mind talking to them though.

@operationvalkyri Hum, that sounds a bit cold; do you say at least "Good evening" to those creatures?

Yes I greet them. I smile and even say thank you. But I tend to forget that they are sentient. In contrast, I will always befriend my cab drivers and chat with them the whole way.
May 30, 2020 10:15 AM

Jun 2015
Ramy_Stereo said:
I can absolutely guarantee you the cashier does not give a fuck about you or what you buy. the only thing a cashier will judge you for is buying your shit a minute before the store closes.
as a former cashier, i can confirm this is not true

May 30, 2020 10:20 AM

Sep 2018
samskeyti said:
Ramy_Stereo said:
almost all my friends are/were cashiers I thougt I was an expert now >.< they always complain about customers making their job harder but never about what they buy(unless what they buy makes their job harder)
CHIMPKINGPINMay 30, 2020 10:23 AM
May 30, 2020 10:21 AM

Oct 2012
samskeyti said:

What did you jugde customers on, having been a former cashier?

Then why am I dead?
May 30, 2020 10:26 AM

Jun 2019
operationvalkyri said:
Meusnier said:

Yes I greet them. I smile and even say thank you. But I tend to forget that they are sentient. In contrast, I will always befriend my cab drivers and chat with them the whole way.

I apologize for what I have said, you are actually much nicer than I am. Smiling at strangers? Huh, not likely. Smiling hurts the facial muscles.

With the cab drivers, you are more or less obliged to do so, since it would be rude to start reading a book while they are driving. Better do a small talk and learn about the ideas of the populace.
May 30, 2020 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
Meusnier said:
operationvalkyri said:

I apologize for what I have said, you are actually much nicer than I am. Smiling at strangers? Huh, not likely. Smiling hurts the facial muscles.

With the cab drivers, you are more or less obliged to do so, since it would be rude to start reading a book while they are driving. Better do a small talk and learn about the ideas of the populace.

Smiling is a reflex when greeting and saying thank you.

We're not obliged to do so here. I just like to practice talking to people I know nothing about since we're stuck in a confined space together anyway.

You should let loose and try some junk food btw.
May 30, 2020 10:57 AM
Jul 2018
Illuminatli said:
Meusnier said:

That reminds me...I almost invited a cashier to a house party of a friend once. 😅
We bought a shitload of alcohol and he said: looks like is going to a big party. I'm jealous.
And my answer was something like: Then come.

Meusnier said:

I don't even try to conceal that I'm not sometimes.
May 30, 2020 10:57 AM

Jun 2019
operationvalkyri said:
Meusnier said:

We're not obliged to do so here. I just like to practice talking to people I know nothing about since we're stuck in a confined space together anyway.

I will not, it does not taste like food and provokes depression and various diseases. It is an awful product of the perfected civilization. Tea tastes better unsweetened.

Imagine buying something in prediction for your defeat against yourself.
May 30, 2020 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
Meusnier said:
operationvalkyri said:

I will not, it does not taste like food and provokes depression and various diseases. It is an awful product of the perfected civilization. Tea tastes better unsweetened.

Instant gratification > long -term effects

Caffeine is bad for you.
May 30, 2020 11:48 AM

Jun 2019
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

I don't even try to conceal that I'm not sometimes. [/quote]
Really? I see however a lot of righteous people in your favorite characters list, and no shows such as Perfect Blue, Texhnolyze or Aku no Hana in your anime favorite, so you are hiding well your evil nature.

operationvalkyri said:
Meusnier said:

Caffeine is bad for you.

Not at all, only excessive consumption of caffeine is dangerous for health. But reasonable consumption of tee is actually beneficial for various reasons. At least, it keeps me awake. And as Erdős said it: "A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."

Other coffee jokes:
"Coffee is a drink that makes you sleep when you do not drink it."
"A comathematician is a device for turning theorems into fee."
May 30, 2020 11:53 AM

Dec 2015
When I worked as a cashier I silently judged everyone and now I assume every cashier is doing the same to me but I honestly just don't care what they think.
May 30, 2020 12:08 PM
Jul 2018
Ramy_Stereo said:

As a former cashier, this was my stance on customers.
I didn't care about you or what you bought, I cared about what you did while in my line... "Oh I forgot something, one moment" and then walk away with a line full of people to get gosh knows what at the back of the freaking store. Or stand there chatting to customers not moving the line along, or coming into the express lane with more than the allowed amount, or letting your kids go wild in check out trying to scan their own stuff and then accidentally scan it a 100 fucking times.
Feeling a bit riled now, guess I hate these people as a customer too.
May 30, 2020 12:22 PM

Apr 2019
Yeah it sure is embarrassing when i'm checking out with my 20 pack of XXL Pleasure me Ribbed Durex for the eighth time that day.
May 30, 2020 1:22 PM
Jul 2018
Meusnier said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

I don't even try to conceal that I'm not sometimes.

Really? I see however a lot of righteous people in your favorite characters list, and no shows such as Perfect Blue, Texhnolyze or Aku no Hana in your anime favorite, so you are hiding well your evil nature.

operationvalkyri said:
Meusnier said:

Caffeine is bad for you.

Not at all, only excessive consumption of caffeine is dangerous for health. But reasonable consumption of tee is actually beneficial for various reasons. At least, it keeps me awake. And as Erdős said it: "A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."

Other coffee jokes:
"Coffee is a drink that makes you sleep when you do not drink it."
"A comathematician is a device for turning theorems into fee."[/quote]
True, thanks. Just a bit deviant or deviant enough to give Perfect Blue a 9. But it's not in my favs, that's true.
May 30, 2020 1:28 PM

Jun 2019
@_Maneki-Neko_ I did not watch the movie yet, but I gave 10 to Aku no Hana, that seems pretty deviant to me. But of course, taste have not much to do with "deviancy", and I would not be chocked to see a monk reading Sade.

Otherwise, I have the impression that the last [/quote] is missing in your message.
May 30, 2020 1:30 PM

Sep 2014
yeah but for different reasons. i fear they judge me for being a smelly slob creepy loser, who doesn't have a girlfriend. which I am but I don't liek to be judged for it.
May 30, 2020 1:33 PM

Feb 2015
They're just there to do their job. Judging customers should be at the bottom of their priorities. Regardless, I don't care. I buy whatever I need/want.
May 30, 2020 1:42 PM

Oct 2012
AnimeFreak-San said:
yeah but for different reasons. i fear they judge me for being a smelly slob creepy loser, who doesn't have a girlfriend. which I am but I don't liek to be judged for it.

Maybe use some deodorant? I don't think you're a loser, but simple things like that can help.

Then why am I dead?
May 30, 2020 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
That's a very specific thing to be afraid of.

The store I usually go to has a very sweet cashier/consultant. Just as myself, she also has orthorexia so it's always nice to chat with her. And thanks to her I know about all the new stuff they have. Neat!
May 30, 2020 1:46 PM

Sep 2014
Illuminatli said:
AnimeFreak-San said:

Maybe use some deodorant? I don't think you're a loser, but simple things like that can help.

yeah hygiene and self care is something I sometimes slack on. thanks. sometimes I need people to tell me I'm a winner.
May 30, 2020 1:53 PM

Oct 2017
not in the slightest, but then again I don't really care about other people judging me so

May 30, 2020 1:55 PM

Dec 2013
I don't care whether they judge me or not. It doesn't affect me.
May 30, 2020 3:01 PM
Jul 2018
Even though I am aware that it is human-nature to judge, I still don't let it get to me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and most people just agree to disagree anyway, so as long as it doesn't affect me in a negative way, I don't care what they think.

Also I keep a facade, as long as I am at work, because my job sort of demands it. Otherwise, I don't put up a facade in in society.
May 30, 2020 3:56 PM

Jul 2011
I don't buy junk of any sort, I only get what I need and I can't care less about what others think. I don't go there to impress anyone lol.

May 30, 2020 4:18 PM

Feb 2019
Considering how adept of Fordism the check-out process is here, I doubt employers have time to think about what people are buying.

That said, I'd much rather be warned that I'm not buying normal cow milk because I got the label wrong.
May 30, 2020 4:28 PM

Mar 2011
I think it depends on the store: At a grocery store, yeah but not so much or hardly intense.
At a sex shop, I know they're judging me--cause I'm judging me too by the purchase
Think I proved my point.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
May 30, 2020 5:27 PM

Mar 2008
When I walk into the gas station to get a few things I sometimes feel like they think I'm going to rob them because some almost immediately ask if I need anything. This happens when I go out with a hoodie and shades. It's been more easy going with the pandemic though because some people have masks on so I appear less suspicious. I often to go to self checkouts so I can avoid awkward small talk with the cashiers in stores and fumbling with the change passoff. I only go to a cashier if absolutely necessary to get out of there. However I have ran into issues at self checkout too. There is one woman who actually watches me to make sure I scan everything which I hate. I also find it embarassing to go through checkout more than once for having to go back so when that happens I try to go out another spot so no one questions me or makes a comment.
May 30, 2020 5:33 PM

Jan 2009
Ramy_Stereo said:

i do not think so granted i never work as a cashier but even working in a lot of factory and some customer oriented ones like the library and manpower agency people gossips or talk about other people all the time in the workplace especially when there is a weird customer or worker *cries lol*
May 30, 2020 5:50 PM

Oct 2014
not really, no. i wager that no matter what i buy, i'm positive they've seen far weirder things and people.
May 30, 2020 6:04 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I know they judge me and they're free to do so. Ain't gonna turn my whole life around for some rando.
May 30, 2020 6:13 PM

Nov 2011
Not really. I've been cashier before, I don't give a shit what you buy.

May 30, 2020 6:29 PM
Nov 2019
Illuminatli said:
We all do it - we buy too many sweets, some junk food, weird items nobody usually talks about...

Does it matter to you what the cashier thinks? Do you go out of your way to make sure the cashier doesn't judge you? Nobody likes being judged. But is judging a customer actually okay, for example, when a young teenage girl buys traditional razor blades? Should she be called out on it?

Bonus question:
Do you try to maintain your facade as an upstanding citizen or are you just shamelessly giving in to your delinquency, not caring anymore what other people think?

Personally, I always make sure to buy at least one (1) vegetable with my beer. To make sure they know I'm healthy.

LOL bruh thats just idk man to much complex of a way u are looking at it just do what u want dont care abut what he thinks, cashiers barely even thing about the person they are dealing with ...
May 30, 2020 6:40 PM

Dec 2015
feelingofgaze said:
Yeah it sure is embarrassing when i'm checking out with my 20 pack of XXL Pleasure me Ribbed Durex for the eighth time that day.

I know right?
Susan (the girl at the cash register) can't believe how many Trojan Magnum XL condoms I go through in a week.
And I have to tell her, "Hey Susan, I need a big condom because I'm a big man with a big plan, and I like to tuck an over sized condom over my under sized balls so it doesn't slip off when I hump my waifu pillow.
(Susan doesn't like me very much)
May 30, 2020 6:48 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Yes and I don't even know why, this is why I only use automatic cash now.
May 30, 2020 7:17 PM

Dec 2019
like 90% of cashiers in my city are extremely nice and make conversation with you. So it's not hard to ignore the 'what if's and stuff. > >
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
-Kino's Journey
May 30, 2020 7:30 PM

Oct 2019
When I was a cashier I could not give a damn. Of course I'd notice it but like hey, who cares?

I only got annoyed when they bought like, a million fruit. Fruit has to be put on a scale and determined on a computer what it is, and one type of fruit used to take a minute to scan through. Buying a lot is super annoying.
May 30, 2020 8:49 PM

May 2020
nah, they don't care about you. I'll shamelessly go into a shop and purchase just snacks and nobody looks twice my way.
May 30, 2020 9:56 PM

Aug 2018
I honestly really really don’t care.
May 30, 2020 10:00 PM

Aug 2009
I'd probably be disappointed if no one reacted to me buying a collection of items that would imply that I'm a serial killer.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

24 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

21 by _Nette_ »»
6 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
45 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

31 by Kushna »»
52 minutes ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

28 by hypergoob »»
59 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.