Forum Settings
Forums

What makes shipping toxic? Where do you draw the line?

New
Apr 13, 2020 7:45 PM

Oct 2019
Does shipping ruin your enjoyment of an anime?

Recently, since the first episode of Balance:Unlimited, I've seen a huge surge of fangirls who are going crazy over the main characters and going wild with hate. Normally, I couldn't care less, but honestly, I might drop this series because of all the nonsense I've seen.

I've also seen those who trash others for shipping same sex characters when they're not gay, but will ship characters who are different ages or rivals. What makes a ship 'okay', and what makes a ship 'too far'?

I've seen a few threads that talk about the worst fandoms and ships, but I'm curious as to why some people are genuinely so averse to shipping.
sashimisoApr 13, 2020 8:30 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 13, 2020 7:49 PM

Jul 2017
I only don't like shipping when people end up taking it too far, like either sending death threats (Darling in the Franxx, 02 vs. Ichigo ships) or ending up completely hating a character entirely because of ships (Hibike! Euphonium, Shuuichi vs. "Reina" ships; Re:Zero, Emilia vs. Rem ships) cause at that point it becomes less of fun and games and more like some weird commitment
Apr 13, 2020 7:50 PM

Jan 2009
as long as you do not send death threats to the anime creators like what happen with Darling in the FranXX
Apr 13, 2020 7:50 PM

Sep 2018
Shipping is mostly toxic because of the people behind it; As we all know, a lot of people within the anime community can become just about as degenerate as it gets when their opinions aren't held by others.

I don't mind if you ship characters within a show that have some sort of legitimacy FROM THE SOURCE MATERIAL to be shipped together. For example, in OreGairu, if you wanted to ship any of the 3 main girls with Hachiman then that's fine, but if you start shipping Haruno (Yukino's sister) then I just don't know what the hell you think you're doing. However, I also hate when people get absolutely toxic when their ship is different from someone else's (e.g. Hachiman X Yui vs. Hachiman X Yukino)

I also can't stand it when people start making Yuri and Yaoi ships of two clearly straight characters.

To reiterate, in my opinion, your ship has to be supported by the source material, but nobody will ever follow that.
Blanks.
Apr 13, 2020 7:51 PM
Feb 2017
When the ships make no sense, gay ship because why not, etc.
Apr 13, 2020 7:52 PM

May 2019
i think its ok ? maybe ?

i mean in the end its just a 2d characters i really dont care who ships who

i myself do ship characters

like rin and shirou

soo yeah but thats just my opinion maybe other people dont like that

as for when i draw the line
umm maybe the sister/brother shit
or the illegal lolis

legal loli is fine
more like legal loli is justice

EDIT: anyway this is just 2d characters soo people need to take it little easy
”A fight isn't won once a victor is decided, it's won when someone loses.” – Izayoi Sakamaki

I don’t even know the real names of the two… no, three that I killed back then. I just closed my eyes, put my hands over my ears and tried to forget it all.” – Kirito

MY ANIME LIST
Apr 13, 2020 7:53 PM

Jul 2012
There's no such thing as a ship going too far, it's literally fanfiction with no rules or limits because it doesn't effect the show at all.
The people who take it too seriously want some level of established canon material to justify the ship or they make themselves personally invested in a ship, often to the detriment of others or the creators. That's where the toxicity comes in.
I don't follow discussions of series so it has no impact on my enjoyment of a series, it's incredibly easy to avoid them actually.
Apr 13, 2020 7:53 PM
Jul 2018
Shipping real-life people is toxic, aside from that, I don't have a line that I draw. Shipping fanart is cute most of the time, I don't mind seeing it or people gushing over two character's chemistry.
removed-userApr 13, 2020 9:08 PM
Apr 13, 2020 7:54 PM

Apr 2018
Couldn't care less about ships. Doesn't feel right to throw temper tantrums over them.

However it does become an issue when death threats become a thing - shit is fucked up, yo

Apr 13, 2020 7:54 PM
Mar 2019
Well..... there are some ships that I can stand, such as Lelouch and C.C. in Code Geass. Then there's outrageous ones such as Tanjiro and Nezuko, blood-related siblings. I draw the line at Yaoi/Yuri type stuff like Bakugo and Todoroki. Some people may diasgree but they're degenerates in that matter. People who are socially awkward and are mentally challenged, like those who ship Adult Naruto and Kid Konohamaru.

Point is, really weird ships are where I draw the line.
Apr 13, 2020 7:55 PM

Jul 2012
I'm not really bothered by the ship itself.

The only thing that has bothered me a bit is seeing stuff like:

"omg I hope Fugou Keiji doesn't have a heterosexual ship, thats disgusting"

"FUCK daisuke's fiance. I hope she gets run over by a car"

"ONLY GAYS ALLOWED IN THIS ANIME! FUCK THE STRAIGHTS"
Apr 13, 2020 7:56 PM

May 2019
Never understood it, like that thing with haikyuu, wtf?!?! The amount of fan arts i've seen of those 2 characters flirting, just, wtf...

EdgeoftheLords said:
like those who ship Adult Naruto and Kid Konohamaru.

Ok, what the actual fuck?!?!? That exist?

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenApr 16, 2020 5:52 AM

Apr 13, 2020 8:02 PM
Mar 2019
RazorWireSodomy said:
EdgeoftheLords said:
like those who ship Adult Naruto and Kid Konohamaru.

Ok, what the actual fuck?!?!? That exist?

I saw that type of stuff somewhere in the dark web a couple years back..... shipping knows no bounds.
Apr 13, 2020 8:03 PM

Oct 2010
No problem if it's fanart but don't come on forums yelling that your imaginary ship doesn't sail. I'm more of a best girl dude, I mean if it's a love triangle or pentagon or whatever, I root for a girl to be with our mc, but if it doesn't happen what I do is complain a little, then move on (true tears and just because were painfull though).
Apr 13, 2020 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
I don't care as long as they don't shove it in my face, same sex ships or not
Apr 13, 2020 8:15 PM

Oct 2019
GamerDLM said:
There's no such thing as a ship going too far, it's literally fanfiction with no rules or limits because it doesn't effect the show at all.
The people who take it too seriously want some level of established canon material to justify the ship or they make themselves personally invested in a ship, often to the detriment of others or the creators. That's where the toxicity comes in.
I don't follow discussions of series so it has no impact on my enjoyment of a series, it's incredibly easy to avoid them actually.

i totally resonate with this sentiment, and i honestly feel like it's a rather unpopular opinion. glad to know there are others who share this train of thought!
Apr 13, 2020 8:18 PM
Dec 2018
Yaoi ships, when the characters aren't remotely attracted to each other
Apr 13, 2020 8:30 PM

Oct 2019
Mayuka said:
I'm not really bothered by the ship itself.

The only thing that has bothered me a bit is seeing stuff like:

"omg I hope Fugou Keiji doesn't have a heterosexual ship, thats disgusting"

"FUCK daisuke's fiance. I hope she gets run over by a car"

"ONLY GAYS ALLOWED IN THIS ANIME! FUCK THE STRAIGHTS"

omg that's exactly what i'm talking about!! i was totally bombarded with that and it was only the first episode. best part is that it's not even confirmed that he has a fiance, they just made that up...
Apr 13, 2020 8:37 PM

Apr 2015
I think it goes too far when people start taking it too seriously. Like when they start hating a character only because they get in the way of their ship. Or when people fight with others because they don't like their ship.
Apr 13, 2020 8:43 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
"Does shipping ruin your enjoyment of an anime?"

No. Crazy fans don't dictate whether I enjoy my anime-
Actually, that's not true. I've been hesitant to start Hibike Euphonium.

On one hand, you could say "That would mean I give others leverage of my level of enjoyment; others have nothing to do with my level of enjoyment for a series". On another hand, you could say "if the same people who try and get me interested into a series are either too harmful or obsessive in nature, it tells me a lot about the show and I'm staying away." Those are the people that usually give you interest in a series, and if most of the fanbase is compromised of shipping and memes, it tells me that there is no substance in the series outside of potential for shipping and memes.

I love plenty of anime where I stay away from the fanbase quite far. Now, I don't mind shipping at all in any form, except for those so obsessed that they need to prove their ship true, or if it's unavoidable in topics not related. I've, so far, stayed away from Euphonium, Gotoubun, and Hetalia, which I will eventually watch regardless, but I think both decision are fair game in the end. At the end of the day, it's up for whoever feels whatever to decide.

Once again, toxic shippers exist. If you're in a fanbase known for aggressive shippers, you're keeping a LOT of people AWAY from an anime.
Meh, I'm annoyed pretty easily regardless, so that's when the Great Power of Ignore steps on in.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2020 8:52 PM
Dec 2015
I am a huge shipper. It’s fun for me. The only time I find shipping to be toxic is when people attack the creators or each other over their preferences. Then I just want to tell them to chill out and remember it’s fiction. Write your fanfic and be nice to one another!
Apr 13, 2020 8:54 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
It's just another way of being transformative with fiction, and people who engage with it in a way that's curative won't really understand it.

Probably why shipping always gets whittled down to its most toxic elements in a discussion and we're expected to discuss it along those lines, whereas people who are ostensibly engaging with anime "normally" but saying absurd and toxic shit like "Let's drive ecchi fans out of the community" don't get the same level of backlash.

They're just not as different. People who don't follow the boundaries of what happens in canon in how they interact with and engage with a series. They're weirder and easier to make fun of. Even communities that are pretty much hugboxes like fanfiction get mocked because they're weird on this basis.

Apr 13, 2020 9:03 PM

May 2016
I can get really pissed over shitty ships.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1826484&show=0
Apr 13, 2020 9:05 PM
Jul 2018
Shipping is fun, het BL and GL, and I don't care what anyone ships as long as it doesn't involve real people or are hurting other people for disagreeing with them.
Apr 13, 2020 9:15 PM

Aug 2018
I think it goes like this:

Subject 1: ''I would like to see x and y together''

Subject 2: ''me too because, reasons''

Subject 3 wouldn't like that, but he ain't gonna say anything directly to subject 1 or 2 tho, because he is not an asshole, instead he will say nothing or make his own post and say he would like to see x and z tongue-wrestle instead.

Subject 4, dislikes 1 and 2's opinion too, but unlike 3, he is a generous person and will therefore explain to them how their taste\preference\opinion is OBJECTIVELY wrong... subject 4 just became toxic

Now subject 1 and 2 feeling attacked start talking shit about subject 4 and everyone that shares that opinion. subject 1 and 2 just became toxic

Subject 3 who was a pretty cool person up to this point, being offended by 1 and 2, now has a choice to make: let it go or become toxic as well

I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Apr 13, 2020 9:29 PM

Oct 2019
guizo- said:
I think it goes like this:

Subject 1: ''I would like to see x and y together''

Subject 2: ''me too because, reasons''

Subject 3 wouldn't like that, but he ain't gonna say anything directly to subject 1 or 2 tho, because he is not an asshole, instead he will say nothing or make his own post and say he would like to see x and z tongue-wrestle instead.

Subject 4, dislikes 1 and 2's opinion too, but unlike 3, he is a generous person and will therefore explain to them how their taste\preference\opinion is OBJECTIVELY wrong... subject 4 just became toxic

Now subject 1 and 2 feeling attacked start talking shit about subject 4 and everyone that shares that opinion. subject 1 and 2 just became toxic

Subject 3 who was a pretty cool person up to this point, being offended by 1 and 2, now has a choice to make: let it go or become toxic as well

i really like the way you put this, especially subject 3 and 4!
while 4's explanation may be looking at things from an objective standpoint, it's unnecessary and cultivates the cycle of toxicity.
i think the takeaway from this is that we should be like subject 3 and let people have their personal preferences.
Apr 13, 2020 11:23 PM

Jul 2019
I don't really have a problem with that. Fans will not ruin the anime watching experience for me. Also, shippers are not the cancer of the anime community, lolicons are (at least in my opinion).
Apr 13, 2020 11:27 PM

Oct 2019
NamikazeHime said:
I don't really have a problem with that. Fans will not ruin the anime watching experience for me. Also, shippers are not the cancer of the anime community, lolicons are (at least in my opinion).

just out of curiosity, why do you think so? i've not been exposed to lolicons, so i don't know what they're like.
Apr 13, 2020 11:49 PM
Jul 2018
i'm at the point where i try to ignore shipping, especially when i hate most couples, and find yaoi and yuri fans to be fucking irritating
Apr 13, 2020 11:59 PM

Jul 2019
aisakafuyumi said:
NamikazeHime said:

just out of curiosity, why do you think so? i've not been exposed to lolicons, so i don't know what they're like.

I have seen a couple of threads on Reddit that follow this trope and they all start with comments about how lolicons are attracted to the cuteness of the underaged girls, then someone mentions that they're waifu is 10 years old', bunch of others admit the same, they start fighting about which loli is the 'filthiest for her age' (quote). The conclusion always ends up with 'fujoshis are sick teenage girls, we just prefer cuteness'.
NikiforovaApr 14, 2020 12:03 AM
Apr 14, 2020 12:16 AM

Oct 2017
Don't attack other fans, don't harass fan artists. I mean it should be that simple. Shipping should just be a harmless fun thing for fantasy and fan artists to enjoy. It's ridiculous that it can be toxic. Fanbases will never ruin anything for me. I may never be able to actually talk about the stuff I like (SW not even recently but always) but I don't care about others to let them influence me in any way.
Apr 14, 2020 1:02 AM

Nov 2016
It doesn't ruin my fun because outside of when it's the point of a show like in romcoms and harems I generally don't partake in them especially in shounens
Apr 14, 2020 1:05 AM

Oct 2010
Shipping is not toxic. People disrespecting others for their ships, hating on an author for not feeding their ships, or many other attitudes are, but they would be toxic given the element of shipping or not.
Apr 14, 2020 1:12 AM

Oct 2019
i dont mind ships as long as they dont force their opinions on others and it makes genuine sense on why you would ship them.
★* 𝓡𝓲𝓼𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓚𝓹𝓸𝓹 𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓻 *★
. . . . * * . . . . . .

Apr 14, 2020 1:40 AM
Jul 2018
aisakafuyumi said:
Does shipping ruin your enjoyment of an anime?

No, it doesn't. I am not at all bothered by it. Thoughts are free, if people have fun imagining whatever, they should go for it. Anime is entertainment, get as much from it as you can.
Also, if your ships inspire you to be creative in rl like writing fanfiction or drawing beautiful fanart, that is a good thing in my book. I can enjoy good art even if I am not into the depicted relationship.

I am not a person who is easily annoyed anyways <.< if you try to push your ideas I don't agree with down my throat, I might tell you to stop that shit once, and if you don't, I might end up not talking to you anymore about this specific topic. That is really the worst that could happen.
Apr 14, 2020 1:55 AM

Aug 2018
I don't understand how shipping will affect your personal enjoyment of an anime. If you liked the story and the characters isn't that enough? You could just not interact with the crazier side of the fandom (because they will always exist). Missing out on something good just because you don't agree with the opinions of others watching the show is just doing yourself a disservice. It's kind of sad.

I'd just let people have their own fun. Some ships are more disturbing than others e.g. the blood-related ones, but I wouldn't care enough to confront those people or harp on it to piss myself off.
Apr 14, 2020 2:00 AM

Oct 2017
I draw the line at Incest. I get really grossed out and disgusted when I see fans shipping siblings together (e.g. Tanjiro and Nezuko).
Apr 14, 2020 2:07 AM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Oh. Wow. Another thread that's an excuse to bash gay ships. How Original.

Shipping real-life people is toxic as fuck. As for 2D characters, well - they don't exist. Let shippers enjoy themselves. You don't have participate.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Apr 14, 2020 2:09 AM

Apr 2019
shipping two characters of the same gender even though they are obviously not gay or bi is taking it too far and when people send threats to the creator of the series like darling in the franxx and re-zero and even MHA
Apr 14, 2020 2:21 AM

May 2015
Why should someone else's shipping ruin my own impression of the show? With mentioned show Balance Unlimited I've seen mostly complaints about the fangirls so far, not the actual fangirling. Even if they go wild, why not? The show can have different layers of what makes it popular. As long as it's not canon, you can ignore everything fans say.

There are a lot of shows where guys lewd characters for no other reason than to just have their own fun, it doesn't mean the show itself became degraded somehow and I don't see people complaining about it while gay ships are usually imidietly set into category of toxic or unreasonable. But shipping is just another form of entertainment. Maybe if people forget this and start seriously attacking those who don't agree with them, then it becomes toxic, but shipping on its own is usually fine.
Apr 14, 2020 2:50 AM

Dec 2018
Imo shipping is mostly just harmless fun. Even if some people goes fucking insane if yours interpretation of the fictional media differentiate from theirs. Especially if you do gay ships . Because they understand the cartoons feeling better then you and they are NOT gay goddammit,,,Lol

Then some people even if i never seem it happen take it to far at the other side. Attacking other people even the creators because their ship didn't happened or if someone disagrees. And that is not ok

In my book its just art and noting i take so fucking serious .I like to do lesbian ship because its fun and anime girls are cute together =P

And I think the toxic people are the one who policing how others should think and enjoy their art. Do we really need to fight over the cartoons. I think we should respect each other and let people have their own interpretation of the fictional media

Yuri-CrusaderApr 14, 2020 4:41 AM
Apr 14, 2020 3:57 AM

Oct 2019
As far as my personal views on what makes shipping toxic, I draw the line when fans start targeting any type of hate towards the creator for the pairings they make in a series. Also, though I wouldn't exactly call it toxic, I think that when people take to forums and public platforms to do nothing but complain about ships it's really annoying and completely unnecessary.
Something that bothers other people which I'm not affected by is when people make gay or lesbian pairings for canonically straight characters. As long as you don't bitch about it where I can see it, I honestly couldn't care less.

As for particular ships that I consider toxic, I don't think there is a limit to what's 'allowed' since, in the end, everything is fictional and doesn't really matter.

For my own personal values, I pretty much draw the line for toxicity at rape, abuse, and one-sided or forced relationships. There's a certain limit to the kind of age gap I'm comfortable with as well but that's a different story. All the lines are pretty blurry though.
I'd be lying if I said I've never shipped an abusive relationship or one that stems from rape, I literally just read Down and Dirty (and had a goddamn good time doing it too).

I get that Daisuke from Balance Unlimited is sexy but I agree, people are taking it way too far. It's unfortunate because, judging from that first episode, it looks like it could turn out to be an amazing show
Apr 14, 2020 4:07 AM

Jul 2016
Shipping fictional characters, fair enough, not a problem, don't care. Shipping people in real life, or taking it out on real-life people when your ship doesn't pan out, that's when it becomes toxic and harmful.

Basically, anything that directly affects the creators or the actors. Like, remember a while back when Adam Driver and his wife got doxxed and harrassed because some idiots shipped him (not Kylo Ren, him) with Daisy Ridley and didn't like the fact that he was already married.
Apr 14, 2020 4:15 AM
Jan 2012
Once it starts interfering with other people. Shipping two characters who obviously would never EVER be romantically involved? Sure, you do you. Shipping two unlikely characters but then annoying people by saying everyone who disagrees is wrong? That's just obnoxious, don't do that. You can get away with almost anything as long as you're civil, do what you want without involving others in a negative way, should be pretty obvious
Apr 14, 2020 4:19 AM

Jul 2013
Anything goes.

Unless of course you don't agree with my ship..

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 14, 2020 4:26 AM
Jul 2018
Shipping real people and harassing authors ofc.

But personally I draw the as well by pedophile (I mean actual shota and lolis, not just an age gap people don't like) and incest shippings etc.

Also abusive shippings or such with psychopathic characters are awful in my eyes.

That's the thing why I was so irritated lately. Someone posted "I've seen so much lesbophobia lately! But here you got a cute picture of them again!" *posts crazy villain girl x Uraraka*
Okaaay then, I guess? It's not like she's crazy af!?

horridhendy said:

Shipping real-life people is toxic as fuck. As for 2D characters, well - they don't exist. Let shippers enjoy themselves. You don't have participate.

Shipping characters in straight ships, who got no chemistry and hints with.... yeeah always great!
removed-userApr 14, 2020 4:31 AM
Apr 14, 2020 4:33 AM

Mar 2017
The same as religion and politics: the belief that "I'm right and you're wrong"
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Apr 14, 2020 4:35 AM

Nov 2010
When people claim something is canon that clearly is not.

Anti-shippers that pretend like fanon is not allowed to exist and that characters must be straight unless show is tagged with yaoi or yuri. The homophobia is sometimes so blatant..

People shipping teenagers or children with adults and also incestious ships.
Apr 14, 2020 4:37 AM

Oct 2019
horridhendy said:

ahh...that was not my intention. if anything, i'm curious to know the reasoning behind those who do bash ships! i've only recently been exposed to a lot of these 'toxic' shippers, and i want to see where people stand on this topic and why.
Apr 14, 2020 5:26 AM

Mar 2012
Yes it does ruin the enjoyment because shipping wars end up in quite nasty arguments. Sometimes the discussions are no longer about the characters being shipped but about guessing the personal life of the person you are arguing with. That is one thing that I really hate. Lets just keep the scope of the discussion to the series and characters, shall we? One way out of this is to not to bother with the comment section and discussions but that in turn means that you cannot talk about things you liked (or disliked) with other fans. Another thing is fanart, nothing really wrong with fans making fanart of what they ship but I'm not very pleased to find mpreg or rapey fanart of characters I like showing up everytime I simply google for their names. I wish people would share such things more privately within groups that are meant for their ships.

KomaDoll said:
Anti-shippers that pretend like fanon is not allowed to exist and that characters must be straight unless show is tagged with yaoi or yuri. The homophobia is sometimes so blatant..
So according to the anime community not liking ships involving two straight characters belonging to the same sex is called "homophobia". Western fans seem to be a bit too obsessed with "sexuality" of the characters and easily jump to "did you just assume their sexuality?" meanwhile the authors most probably did assume it to be straight unless they make it obvious otherwise, are trying to bait or the series is BL/GL.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do so many people still shove anime through interpolaiton AI?

Akuya - 9 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - May 16

104 by DigiCat »»
7 minutes ago

» Best bald guy?

Serafos - 4 hours ago

8 by Zettaiken »»
12 minutes ago

» Best Black Haired guy?

RedTea33 - 6 hours ago

9 by Zettaiken »»
12 minutes ago

» Out of all SAO knockoffs out there which one is actually worth watching?

Eternal-Destiny - 9 hours ago

11 by Zettaiken »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.