Forum Settings
Forums

Was the 2010's was the worst time to be an Anime fan?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 29, 2020 7:50 PM

Dec 2008
I personally share Zeroflamez the same thing. I felt something was off about 2012 and beyond. I just couldn't put it in words, so I ignored the whole issue all together. I could be wrong. Zeroflamez could be wrong. It's just that's how we view things in our own perspective. Except that I don't judge an anime that I never watched. I'm not a good critic/reviewer.

I stopped watching JoJo after
More like dropped the series if you say so. My Hero Academia? This series is beyond my time. I belong to One Piece, Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin, GTO, Gundam.

Attack on Titans? I rather ignore it. I dunno. I don't think I'll ever want to watch it.

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler
NoLiferSoulApr 1, 2020 7:15 PM
Mar 29, 2020 7:52 PM

Jul 2015
HeruruMeruru said:
terminador_2397 said:

Don't forget the endless "waifu wars" too, those got crazy too.

You're acting like the Rei vs Asuka and Kikyo Vs Kagome (though the latter wasn't really a waifu thing, more a shipping thing among fangirls) wars never happened. The latter especially was just as toxic as the stuff you'd see today. The Naruto ship wars were also pretty insufferable as well. The salt still lingers in the air to this very day.

Cant't say much about the first two aside from people saying bad how it was and seeing the ocasional debate, wasn't active when those wars happened. Most knew how things went with Naruto pairings and all the backlash they gave Kishimoto. One could even add Bleach seeing people reacted to the pairings at the end.
Mar 29, 2020 8:04 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I think a lot of it is just the change and growth of technology and communication. We definitely had some interesting characters before the 2010s, but with the increase in anime's popularity, we now have MORE of those interesting characters. And now they can use different mediums to be seen more so than before other than just like forums. But I know for sure that anime fans used to push their political ideology, there are just more fans so there are more people to do that.

I feel like the anime fandom has actually equaled out a bit more. A lot of anime fans back in the day were a bit eccentric-- I'm not excluding myself either. Now we have a lot more people who are relatively normal. I do see some people who are so normal that they try to come off as eccentric as possible despite how normal they are. I try not to say anything. If they want to be special that bad then hey. I let them believe.

I do feel like a lot of people of the newer part of the fandom don't appreciate a lot of what they have access to nowadays though. They can come off as a little spoiled.
On the other hand, I do see older fans kinda aggressively gatekeeping anime due to the rush of new fans coming in. This often results in some elitist behavior and is probably why you might see those elitist Youtubers out there. Some might not even be long time anime fans, but they'll try to compensate for their lack of years spent by acting elitist.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Mar 29, 2020 8:09 PM

Apr 2010
ArabianLuffy said:
I personally share Zeroflamez the same thing. I felt something was off about 2012 and beyond. I just couldn't put it in words, so I ignored the whole issue all together. I could be wrong. Zeroflamez could be wrong. It's just that's how we view things in our own perspective. Except that I don't judge an anime that I never watched. I'm not a good critic/reviewer.

I stopped watching JoJo after Jotaro defeated/killed Dio. More like dropped the series if you say so. My Hero Academia? This series is beyond my time. I belong to One Piece, Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin, GTO, Gundam.

Attack on Titans? I rather ignore it. I dunno. I don't think I'll ever want to watch it.

I think it's because too many people take Anime way too seriously now. Fans are so critical about everything they watch now and don't take too kindly to opinions that are different from theirs. Just look at how many debates are had on this website alone just from someone saying they don't like something about an Anime. It's no longer about watching shows and just having fun. It's all about trying to convert as many people as possible on to their favorite show.. and trying to tell the world how special they are for liking something.

ZeroflamezMar 29, 2020 8:17 PM
Mar 29, 2020 8:15 PM
Jul 2018
terminador_2397 said:
HeruruMeruru said:

You're acting like the Rei vs Asuka and Kikyo Vs Kagome (though the latter wasn't really a waifu thing, more a shipping thing among fangirls) wars never happened. The latter especially was just as toxic as the stuff you'd see today. The Naruto ship wars were also pretty insufferable as well. The salt still lingers in the air to this very day.

Cant't say much about the first two aside from people saying bad how it was and seeing the ocasional debate, wasn't active when those wars happened. Most knew how things went with Naruto pairings and all the backlash they gave Kishimoto. One could even add Bleach seeing people reacted to the pairings at the end.

My point being that ship/waifu/husbando (or"bishie" as we called them then) wars were not only still a thing back in the 2000s but just as bad as they are now and it's not just a recent phenomenon. The 2000's weren't some magical time when people didn't try to rip each other's throats out over cartoon characters.
removed-userMar 29, 2020 8:36 PM
Mar 29, 2020 8:22 PM

Oct 2013
First off...not everyone in those fandoms act like that..just the ones who are the most vocal about their fandom..Second, it's not that hard avoiding that kind of behavior. I've literally been doing that for years just from staying away from most social media outlets and avoiding most ani-tubers. Or option 2, you can just ignore them...Again..not that hard to do.
Mar 29, 2020 8:27 PM

Apr 2010
Swiggy said:
I think a lot of it is just the change and growth of technology and communication. We definitely had some interesting characters before the 2010s, but with the increase in anime's popularity, we now have MORE of those interesting characters. And now they can use different mediums to be seen more so than before other than just like forums. But I know for sure that anime fans used to push their political ideology, there are just more fans so there are more people to do that.

I feel like the anime fandom has actually equaled out a bit more. A lot of anime fans back in the day were a bit eccentric-- I'm not excluding myself either. Now we have a lot more people who are relatively normal. I do see some people who are so normal that they try to come off as eccentric as possible despite how normal they are. I try not to say anything. If they want to be special that bad then hey. I let them believe.

I do feel like a lot of people of the newer part of the fandom don't appreciate a lot of what they have access to nowadays though. They can come off as a little spoiled.
On the other hand, I do see older fans kinda aggressively gatekeeping anime due to the rush of new fans coming in. This often results in some elitist behavior and is probably why you might see those elitist Youtubers out there. Some might not even be long time anime fans, but they'll try to compensate for their lack of years spent by acting elitist.

Yeah the demographic of people watching sure has gotten broader since then. But with that as you said brings more questionable people into the fray and makes them more common and less avoidable than before. I overall just believe the Anime community takes the medium WAYYYY too seriously now. It's no longer just watch what you want, have fun, respect others and keep it moving. Everything has to be debated or looked at far too critically.I don't think Ani-Tubers are healthy for the community. They influence too many new fans on whats good and what isn't which makes them begin to gate keep themselves..

Setsuei said:
First off...not everyone in those fandoms act like that..just the ones who are the most vocal about their fandom..Second, it's not that hard avoiding that kind of behavior. I've literally been doing that for years just from staying away from most social media outlets and avoiding most ani-tubers. Or option 2, you can just ignore them...Again..not that hard to do.

I get what you're saying but a person really shouldn't have to go to those extends just because a vocal majority can't control themselves.
Mar 29, 2020 8:31 PM

Aug 2018
Zeroflamez said:

I think it's because too many people take Anime way too seriously now. Fans are so critical about everything they watch now and don't take too kindly to opinions that are different from theirs. Just look at how many debates are had on this website alone just from someone saying they don't like something about an Anime. It's no longer about watching shows and just having fun. It's all about trying to convert as many people as possible on to their favorite show.. and trying to tell the world how special they are for liking something.

I haven't seen much of that sort of behavior here. The closest to it was when some guy said everyone who likes Clannad are weak beta males with zero life experience or something.

He was probably a battle shounen fan.

Maybe that's the reason you keep running into these obnoxious characters, you're engaging with a community comprised mostly of teenage boys who only like shows about musclemen punching one another.
Mar 29, 2020 8:33 PM
Jan 2012
Zeroflamez said:
OnionKnightRises said:
Worst decade to be an anime fan? No, but it was the worst decade if you were an anime fan involved with the community. It's not like it was absolutely terrible, but the anime community in previous decades wasn't nearly as bad. It's just hard remembering all the highs from this decade when the lows were really low, decades before the 2010s were really mellow in comparison.

I perhaps should have labeled my thread worst time to be apart of the community not so much being a fan. I can't think of any highs from last decade when it came to the community. Yes we got simulcasting and a lot more Anime is available but that's about it..

Simulcasting is a pretty big deal though, and the internet becoming more available is great. Yeah a lot of conversations are just boring and sometimes shitty, but then there are times where you're able to have a complete civil conversation with someone about your shared hobby. Anime is a hard topic to talk about in real life when none of your friends really watch anime, so to me the ability to actually share opinions is huge. Before I got involved in any anime community I felt like I was gonna bubble over with all my anime opinions just being unable to come out.
Mar 29, 2020 8:46 PM

Apr 2018
Sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree. It maybe because I'm a gen Z-er and I became a true anime fan in the 2010s (I used to know what anime was when I was a kid, but the only anime I watched as a kid was Yu Gi Oh), but I can assure you the 2010s were an AMAZING time for anime! First of all, it became bigger. And yeah, I'll be the first to admit, anime becoming too mainstream for it's own good is a problem, but you don't want it to be too obscure and too niche either. It's thanks to anime's continued growth in popularity that it's now easier than ever to watch anime, read manga, and buy merchandise!

Back when anime was still this obscure thing in the western world, discovering anime felt like exploring the unknown. Sure, there were a few well known ones, like Evangelion, Dragonball, Naruto, SD Gundam, Bleach, ect. but there was still this like, giant mist, covering all of anime, and finding stuff was a lot more difficult. That changed drastically in the 2010s! It's now so much easier to be informed on what the latest anime will come out, thanks to websites like anichart! And because of this, the supply of great anime is now BIGGER than ever!

And not to mention, the anime that came out on the 2010s is some of the BEST of the medium! There's already so many great anime that are considered modern classics! I know you said you didn't like Attack On Titan (which, I honestly don't know how someone can not like it, but whatever), AOT is definitely a modern classic, alongside others like Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, Log Horizon, Re:Zero, Konosuba, Boku no Hero Academia, Hunter x Hunter 2011, One Punch Man, Made In Abyss, and yes, even the Jojo that you so much despise, love it or hate it, there is a reason why it's so popular, and that's cause people LOVE it! (and don't pretend like it's a new thing. Jojo has been around for almost 3 DECADES).

The anitubers thing? Yeah, I can see how that can be annoying. I only watch like 3 of them, but I don't parrot their opinions around as facts. I watch their videos because they talk about anime and I like anime, not because my opinions need to be validated. But yeah, I'll admit, there's some really shitty anitubers, like Mother's Basement.

Pretty much the only thing I don't like about this decade is, something that's less to do with anime itself and more to do with culture, and that's the culture war that started around 2014, I am of course talking about the social justice movement, how everything needs to be political, how everything needs to be "progressive" and contain no edgy jokes that could offend someone, ect. Thankfully, anime being made in Japan means that it was able to avoid the grasp of these evil individuals, but that doesn't mean it was completely safe. I am of course talking about companies like funimation changing the script (something which is NOT A PART OF THEIR JOB), to basically "westernize" it and "clean it up". Japan is a pretty conservative country so it's not really aware of all this leftist nonsense going on in the west, which is why sometimes a few "unwanted" jokes slip through, and obviously, the "brave" and "strong" people over at funimation think it's their job to "fix" these anime. It pisses me off! It really does! But, with the existence of fansubs, I guess this isn't really that big of an issue.
Mar 29, 2020 8:51 PM
Apr 2017
Of course not, all the decades before the 2000s are a thing and they were full of low quality horrid garbage.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Mar 29, 2020 8:54 PM

Apr 2010
epidemia78 said:
Zeroflamez said:

I haven't seen much of that sort of behavior here. The closest to it was when some guy said everyone who likes Clannad are weak beta males with zero life experience or something.

He was probably a battle shounen fan.

Maybe that's the reason you keep running into these obnoxious characters, you're engaging with a community comprised mostly of teenage boys who only like shows about musclemen punching one another.

Just because you haven't seen it here doesn't mean it doesn't exist on here.

OnionKnightRises said:
Zeroflamez said:

I perhaps should have labeled my thread worst time to be apart of the community not so much being a fan. I can't think of any highs from last decade when it came to the community. Yes we got simulcasting and a lot more Anime is available but that's about it..

Simulcasting is a pretty big deal though, and the internet becoming more available is great. Yeah a lot of conversations are just boring and sometimes shitty, but then there are times where you're able to have a complete civil conversation with someone about your shared hobby. Anime is a hard topic to talk about in real life when none of your friends really watch anime, so to me the ability to actually share opinions is huge. Before I got involved in any anime community I felt like I was gonna bubble over with all my anime opinions just being unable to come out.

Forums have existed for a long time though and the internet has been widely available for a long time as well. So other than Simulcasts nothing really changed in the community other than people taking the community and opinions far too seriously.
Mar 29, 2020 9:11 PM
Jul 2009
As somebody who's been following Tokusatsu, Anime, japanese music and films since the early 2000's, I understand how you feel, OP. The 2000's fandom has its problem, of course, but the fandom of 2010's are million times worse. I honestly no longer feel its that fun to talk about anime compare to the early days. Then again, as the fandom grow, of course there's also going to be more assholes coming in as well. Just the law of nature, I guess
Mar 29, 2020 9:33 PM

Dec 2008
Zeroflamez said:
I think it's because too many people take Anime way too seriously now.

Probably you could say that about newbies. Give them few years until they cool off.
Zeroflamez said:
Fans are so critical about everything they watch now and don't take too kindly to opinions that are different from theirs.

To some extent, yeah.
Zeroflamez said:
Just look at how many debates are had on this website alone just from someone saying they don't like something about an Anime.

When someone makes his argument sounds, yeah. The debate would be successful. It’s OK to dislike a series, but don’t judge it as bad. Have you watched enough to come to such conclusion? It’s quite a hard task to watch for hours upon hours such series, analyze the story, the arc, the characters.
Zeroflamez said:
It's no longer about watching shows and just having fun.

Fun depends on age and mentality, mood, way of thinking, taste. It’s a complicated thing. Some young watchers enjoy Hero Academia, some don’t. Some adult watchers enjoy Ergo Proxy, some don’t. These are examples. I personally want an anime that pays attention to subtexts rather than focusing on main canon story arc.
Zeroflamez said:
It's all about trying to convert as many people as possible on to their favorite show.. and trying to tell the world how special they are for liking something.

I guess I had my share on this with K-Drama fans. Not my cup of tea. Not with anime yet. I hope it stays that way.
Mar 29, 2020 10:10 PM

Nov 2019
"Was the 2010's the worst time to be an Anime fan?"

Maybe, But who cares?
Yes, people may be toxic when it comes down with several things, but i think that judging an entire community and not watching something just because a few vocal assholes is as equally toxic.

I won't deny that there are some annoying people around there, but is not like that in everywhere? I seriously can't understand why people care so much about "toxic fandoms" and "shitty memes", you don't need a community to enjoy an anime.

And it's not like these "toxic communities" affect your everyday life to ever care about it. If they're annoying then just ignore it and don't waste more time with them. If people stopped complaining so much about the state of the community it would be much better since most of the time these "toxic people" are just there to grab some attention, not for an actual discussion.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Mar 29, 2020 10:25 PM

May 2014
Fuck reading the thread I'm just gonna give you my take.

Yes and no.

Yes anime is:
More easily available
in vogue
something you can make a career off of

But personally I've lost all my love for the community. There used to be this level of joy and connection the community would bring that's been divided up and churned around. I wouldn't really call anime a community anymore. The influx of new people just creates this divided identity.

Is it the worst time to be an anime fan?
No
Is it the worst time to be a classic anime fan?
Yeah.

tl;dr change bad nostalgia good
Mar 29, 2020 10:37 PM

Apr 2010
WitchJacqueline said:

Yes and no.

Yes anime is:
More easily available
in vogue

But personally I've lost all my love for the community. There used to be this level of joy and connection the community would bring that's been divided up and churned around. I wouldn't really call anime a community anymore. The influx of new people just creates this divided identity.

No
Yeah.

Worst time to be a classic Anime fan? Care to explain a bit more? I've never heard this before. Do you mean like an old fan or a fan of classic anime?

PraiseTheSun123 said:
"Was the 2010's the worst time to be an Anime fan?"

Maybe, But who cares?
Yes, people may be toxic when it comes down with several things, but i think that judging an entire community and not watching something just because a few vocal assholes is as equally toxic.

I won't deny that there are some annoying people around there, but is not like that in everywhere? I seriously can't understand why people care so much about "toxic fandoms" and "shitty memes", you don't need a community to enjoy an anime.

And it's not like these "toxic communities" affect your everyday life to ever care about it. If they're annoying then just ignore it and don't waste more time with them. If people stopped complaining so much about the state of the community it would be much better since most of the time these "toxic people" are just there to grab some attention, not for an actual discussion.

It's not really as easy as ignoring it anymore. More and more of these kinds of fans are just migrating to other sites that aren't even Anime related and making it about that. It's not like before where I could just stay off of Anime sites and avoid people like these. You don't seem to understand that these kinds of fans have spread all throughout the internet now. So unless you're apart of a community where Anime fans don't have interest in you are kind of fucked.
ZeroflamezMar 29, 2020 10:43 PM
Mar 29, 2020 10:59 PM
May 2018
DeitySmoke said:
I think you need to make some friends.
seconded

just cause you like anime doesn't mean you need to participate in the anime community just do something else. all it means to be an anime fan is that you like and watch anime and in that case now is a better time than ever to be a fan there's a ton of quality shows coming out every season and eve if youre picky there's at least a few shows for everybody.
Mar 29, 2020 11:08 PM
Jul 2018
It was a time when fast Internet connections and hd anime became the norm so you could download and watch any anime you wanted instead of being limited to a few fansubs with bad picture quality.

This kinda fractured the community who relied back then on exchanging dvds that were impossible to download with those Internet speeds.

Also if you look at the fansub scene prior to 2010, things were not as good. Hardly any coverage of older series in English. Every group self-promored themselves with the most popular series to gain more followers and funds. At least now with streaming of new series, the few good groups remaining can focus on covering old and forgotten series.
Mar 29, 2020 11:15 PM
Jul 2018
I still remember the good old days in the 2000's where you could like and watch any anime you want and everyone was okay. Now if you don't like certain stuff the other likes you're considered to have shit taste
Mar 29, 2020 11:20 PM

Oct 2013
Zeroflamez said:
Swiggy said:

Yeah the demographic of people watching sure has gotten broader since then. But with that as you said brings more questionable people into the fray and makes them more common and less avoidable than before. I overall just believe the Anime community takes the medium WAYYYY too seriously now. It's no longer just watch what you want, have fun, respect others and keep it moving. Everything has to be debated or looked at far too critically.I don't think Ani-Tubers are healthy for the community. They influence too many new fans on whats good and what isn't which makes them begin to gate keep themselves..

Setsuei said:

I get what you're saying but a person really shouldn't have to go to those extends just because a vocal majority can't control themselves.

Not much of an "extent" to be honest. It takes literally zero effort to ignore this kind of stuff. I mean..if I hadn't checked my notifications, I would have completely forgotten I even responded to this thread in the first place..that's how little effort it takes to avoid this kinda stuff.
Mar 29, 2020 11:22 PM
Jul 2018
If what you're concerned about is stupid people then rest assured, stupid people have been around since forever. When the total number of fans increase, the total number of stupid fans will increase proportionately. Should one rate the quality of their interactions with the community based on the number of stupid fans? Assuredly not, for that will lead to endless headaches. One should pity those fans, instead.
Mar 29, 2020 11:53 PM

Aug 2018
I see your point, 2010s are not best times being anime fan. I think biggest reason for this is some of the bigger fanbases around who are behaving childish and representing their favorite anime series pretty negatively.

2010s gave us some of the best anime series ever but some fanbases just didn't want to remain neutral
Mar 30, 2020 12:00 AM

Apr 2010

"Small incident" Are you forgetting about all the other incidents including a REALLY big Have you been absent or not paying much attention to what's been going on the past 5 years with Anime and politics in the West? There's a lot more incidents happening other than that Kobayashi Dragon Maid dub dude. Not to mention the big one that happened last year around this time. Yes, Ani-Tubers exist to share thoughts and opinions however a lot of their fans are influenced and take on the same opinions as these creators do about Anime. To think they don't have influence over them is just being silly, I've seen a lot of content creators militarizing their fans to go after people. Not just in the Anime community either. Just look at the asshole that got his fans to troll this site a couple of months ago.
Mar 30, 2020 12:08 AM

Oct 2017
Zeroflamez said:
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
Never noticed that really. I know the stuff with shit art online and jojo fans who post this shittiest memes ever which always annoys me. But nothing with attack on titan or Tokyo ghoul but I don't watch TG either. I don't watch anime youtubers as well.

Attack on Titan was the worst for me. I was so harassed by shitty memes and people peddling the show so hard all over the internet that I still haven't watched that show cause I don't want to be apart of that shitty fan base. I associate AoT fans with being a degenerate by default unless proven otherwise.

Unironically calling someone a degenerate lol. Also nope this is actually the best time to be a fan purely due to ease of access and knowledge. The industry is more widely known and profitable than ever (animators are struggling but they were back then as well). All your criticisms are directed at social communities the absolute least important aspect of a hobby.
BilboBaggins365Mar 30, 2020 12:49 AM
Mar 30, 2020 12:08 AM

Jan 2010
Never noticed. It's always been the same. The differrence is, now I'm matured enough to not be part of the toxicity. I used to be a cringy Sakura hater, I'm so ashamed.

The advancement of technology and easy access doesn't help either. It's easier to spread toxicity than before.

But other than that, I think it's the same. It's just we grown up and see things differrently now.
Mar 30, 2020 12:15 AM
Jan 2017
Zeroflamez said:
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
Never noticed that really. I know the stuff with shit art online and jojo fans who post this shittiest memes ever which always annoys me. But nothing with attack on titan or Tokyo ghoul but I don't watch TG either. I don't watch anime youtubers as well.

Attack on Titan was the worst for me. I was so harassed by shitty memes and people peddling the show so hard all over the internet that I still haven't watched that show cause I don't want to be apart of that shitty fan base. I associate AoT fans with being a degenerate by default unless proven otherwise.

Talking about toxicity...you just showed it yourself. You're no better. You should just watch anime and don't scroll through fucking communities. That's what I did until a year ago or so and man, was that good. If I liked something, I watched it, if I didn't, I didn't watch it. No MTFKs telling me whether a show is good or not. I think I'll get back to that and will use MAL for the sole purpose of seeing what comes next in terms of shows. Can't wait for the 3rd season of Kingdom.
Mar 30, 2020 12:30 AM

Oct 2017
KarimEdward said:
Zeroflamez said:

Talking about toxicity...you just showed it yourself. You're no better. You should just watch anime and don't scroll through fucking communities. That's what I did until a year ago or so and man, was that good. If I liked something, I watched it, if I didn't, I didn't watch it. No MTFKs telling me whether a show is good or not. I think I'll get back to that and will use MAL for the sole purpose of seeing what comes next in terms of shows. Can't wait for the 3rd season of Kingdom.

Yeah it's humorous that he complains about toxicity while labeling shows and fans of shows as degenerates (again if you use this unironically maybe look up where the term degenerative art comes from). I would argue said OP is also as toxic as many of the things he is complaining about here.

Honestly it's just down to the fact we are more engaged than ever with the internet and social media even say back in the 2000's. Forum users couldn't even come close to commanding the wide spread influence that a YTuber has or twitter being able to interact with creatives. Anime/manga also is just way more popular as well. It was the change around anime that changed the community not the community itself. You can find this in every fandom.

That said I mean I am not that old myself but when I first got into anime/manga late 2000's it was hardly some amazing secure place of people just welcoming you in open arms. I would argue it's worse today but that's less because of attitude and more what said toxic people are arguing on/promoting. I wish the worst stuff you see in this community were just fanboys today.
BilboBaggins365Mar 30, 2020 12:50 AM
Mar 30, 2020 12:46 AM

May 2018
Oh the joys of your niche passion becoming more mainstream...
If I only knew how better is to be a bit lonely than crowded with people that are pushing their childhood or first random encounter with anime as the ultimate thing.
Mar 30, 2020 1:25 AM

Jul 2019
I think you're too harsh. There are horrible fandoms out there and I mean it. I think the anime fandom is okay.

Zeroflamez said:
On top of that you had a bunch of radical left and rightists invade the fandom and try to push their political agenda on everyone.
This is the only thing I can somewhat agree with. I still don't understand what modern american politics have to to with japanese cartoons. rofl
Life is a despicable endurance race
Mar 30, 2020 1:25 AM

Oct 2010
so basically op hates popular anime because his friends watched it before him and he's salty. I don't care if you don't wanna watch Shingeki no Kyojin.

And, the 10s were awesome because we had BD releases for old anime like macross, megazone 23 and all that stuff. Watching Urusei Yatsura at a 360p quality hurts my eyes. You're over exaggerate because you spent time on shit quality forums when you could've just ignored them
Mar 30, 2020 1:26 AM

Aug 2018
Nop. you are just someone that cares too much about someone's else opinion because you have no personality.

If you are truly an anime fan then your only concern should be that your favorites shows get fully adapted with the quality that you can enjoy, everything besides that is totally pointless and useless.
Mar 30, 2020 1:27 AM

Dec 2018
The fan base is another question but it’s much easier to watch anime now than ever before.
Mar 30, 2020 1:33 AM
May 2018
I don't know, even though anime is nowadays more available than ever (although there are still some shows I would like to be subbed in entirety, like old Pokemon series, or Tezuka's anime), ever since 2006 when I got into anime for real, I was always able to find something interesting to watch.
Mar 30, 2020 5:22 AM

Mar 2020
Zeroflamez said:
On top of that you had a bunch of radical left and rightists invade the fandom and try to push their political agenda on everyone. I personally think the community today is fucking terrible. What's your opinion?

Really the political and SJW side of anime are coming from companies who create the dubs and fake fans of anime like MHA who complain about things like not gay ships like Bakugo x Kirishima not being canon or complaining that a female character is wearing really "revealing" clothing or has a big bust.
Mar 30, 2020 5:42 AM
Jul 2018
Kurgo said:
Of course not, all the decades before the 2000s are a thing and they were full of low quality horrid garbage.

To be fair, there is a lot more garbage now since the volume of production is much higher. We just elect to ignore it.

PS: Ok Zoomer
Mar 30, 2020 6:16 AM

Sep 2009
I've been an anime fan for about 13 yrs (on MAL since 2009) and I definitely did notice the change you're talking about. Although I don't see it as pure evil as you do, there are indeed a few things that annoy me or don't make the community quite as special to me anymore as back in the days. Personally, I feel like MAL and the MAL community have changed the most, I was a very active member in years 2009-2012 and then I took a 5 yr break, when I came back it was completely different. There are way more of us, anime fans but everyone to be for themselves, closed off, cold and not as friendly. There are way more of what I call "gourmet" fans, which I believe are influenced by anitubers and such, who break down the series and judge on millions of criteria being as strict and judgemental as possible. The idea of liking the popular stuff is being a part of bandwagon so we all gotta like the unpopular crap that no one ever heard of or you're not "experienced" enough and your taste for anime is poor... That just kills me. Ppl should be allowed to like what they want, and popular shows are popular for a reason, they're successful bcuz guess what? PPl like them. Lol those pretentious jerks piss me off the most. Anitubers and toxic memers dont annoy me, it's ppl without the balls to have their own opinion and to stick by it that piss me off the most. They listen to what popular ppl on the internet tell them and spread the word, being easily manipulated. The time for anime could not be better than now. Everything airs almost immediately after it gets released in Japan and in beautiful HD quality ( I remember watching some shows I rly cared about in 480p, with Spanish dub and eng subtitles and consider myself lucky for being able to find them at all lol), but its the fandom that sucks. I wouldn't blame it on the anime fan base in particular though, but rather the whole internet in general.

We're all golden
Sunflwers
on the inside :>
Mar 30, 2020 6:19 AM

Apr 2016
I believe the worst thing has affected anime community in the last decade is the "hating phenomenon". It's probably due to the increase of people on the communities on the net, but I believe this is the biggest problem we've now. I think it's such a stupid thing and for personal experience, it makes people leave the communities, I know users who left the online communities cause of that. So, this thing can make harder to be an anime fans because some people don't want to be related with this stuff.
Mar 30, 2020 6:26 AM

Apr 2014
Fans have always been toxic and the 2010s saw a large amount of growth for anime as a medium, so it was an amazing time to be a fan.
Mar 30, 2020 7:26 AM

Aug 2010
sounds like youre angry that anime got more popular. You should be happy though.
Sure there are a ton more degenerates and a ton more bad shows, but there is also a ton more good shit.

The most vocal fans are always the cringiest minority. Try and ignore them.
Anitubers aren't worth anyone's time.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Mar 30, 2020 7:33 AM

Aug 2017
Zeroflamez said:
@pokestarfan I'm talking about the fans that are radical leftists/rightists. That are causing controversy in the Anime community and trying to get shows and people cancelled. I'm not talking about the content of the Anime itself when I say political.

Manaban said:

Your entire post is ranting about degeneracy.

What other context does literally anybody use this in on an anime forum?

Sexual Aspects of the Anime community contribute to its toxicity, what? I don't care what these people like sexually. When I talk about degeneracy I'm talking about Anime fans that don't have social skills and are pushing their shitty Anime memes and trying to convert me and others through many of the social media outlets available on to their favorite Anime. I can't even get away from it anymore cause so many Anime fans overlap into other Fandoms that I'm guaranteed to see some dude preaching his Anime Gospel. I've personally seen how these degenerate fans act in real life and it's 1000 times worse than online. I cringed so hard the first time I heard a guy say "Is that Jo Jo reference!?!?" or seeing some guy run around saying shitty memes in a context where it doesn't even make sense to say said meme IRL.

I don't know what kind of people you discuss anime with but I've been in reddit anime subreddits and absolutely nobody gives a shit about politics. The only people that try to get shows canceled are the "hur dur another isekai" type, not the "muh politics" type

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Mar 30, 2020 7:37 AM

Sep 2008
>caring about the fandom
>caring about youtubers
>caring about memes
>caring about the community as a whole.
what you forgot to mention is anime itself. nothing else matters, these things are not related to the media at all.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 30, 2020 7:37 AM

Apr 2015
Zeroflamez said:
Kayle_x_Morgana said:

Y'know you don't become part of any fandom simply by association with the show.
Mar 30, 2020 7:59 AM

Jul 2017
Being a fan myself since 2012, the year you pointed out as when things went bad, I obviously can't speak as to what the community was like prior. However, I have had a rather pleasant run in my time within the community. Naturally, there are those who will force their opinion down your throat like it's the word of god but it isn't really any different than you calling out an entire wave of new fans that found the medium this decade just because you don't like the vocal minority of them. It is for sure annoying to have people shove anime you don't care for down your throat, but quite frankly, it gets equally old to constantly be told it's your generation of fans that has ruined the medium and how we're all so terrible. So no, despite the bad the 2010's brought in terms of toxic fans, the industry saw colossal growth leading to more production, an increase in accessibility with services such as Crunchyroll and Funimation, or even pirating sites like Kissanime which didn't have half the fansubs they do now. Maybe try not to focus on the negative aspects that came out of the generation and focus on the positives, I know I had a pretty good decade thanks to anime.
Mar 30, 2020 7:59 AM

Apr 2011
You kids didn't experience the 90s where you had to rent/buy VHS to watch anime.
Mar 30, 2020 9:38 AM
Jul 2018
IKKIsama said:
You kids didn't experience the 90s where you had to rent/buy VHS to watch anime.

Ah yes, crossing the border to buy Escaflowne VHS and watching them in Castilian, because they're not sold in your country.

For some reason, people as a whole were nasty as fuck to anime watchers, but the "community" itself? I guess it was kinda like the early online gaming days, with Ultima Online.

I don't know if it was because "everyone knew each other," but the level of respect was... pretty damn high.
Even the "enemies" you made along the way... you still respected them, and you also knew you'd be interacting with them almost daily. These days? Fuck that, I'll drop a reply somewhere and never see that person again in my life.

Mar 30, 2020 9:56 AM

Apr 2010
@PokestarFan Why do you constantly insist that just because you haven't seen what I'm talking about that it doesn't exist?

DaCraziGuy said:
Nop. you are just someone that cares too much about someone's else opinion because you have no personality.

If you are truly an anime fan then your only concern should be that your favorites shows get fully adapted with the quality that you can enjoy, everything besides that is totally pointless and useless.

Nice false assumptions . I don't give a shit about what people's opinion are of what I watch

TolkienFan365 said:
KarimEdward said:

Yeah it's humorous that he complains about toxicity while labeling shows and fans of shows as degenerates (again if you use this unironically maybe look up where the term degenerative art comes from). I would argue said OP is also as toxic as many of the things he is complaining about here.

Honestly it's just down to the fact we are more engaged than ever with the internet and social media even say back in the 2000's. Forum users couldn't even come close to commanding the wide spread influence that a YTuber has or twitter being able to interact with creatives. Anime/manga also is just way more popular as well. It was the change around anime that changed the community not the community itself. You can find this in every fandom.

That said I mean I am not that old myself but when I first got into anime/manga late 2000's it was hardly some amazing secure place of people just welcoming you in open arms. I would argue it's worse today but that's less because of attitude and more what said toxic people are arguing on/promoting. I wish the worst stuff you see in this community were just fanboys today.

How exactly am I beng toxic? I'm talking about the people who act the way I've described. Not the entire fan base as a whole. I also don't hate the AoT fandom. Nor do I think they are all degenerates. Nor do I actively go out of my way to insult a fan every time I see them. However my experience with them hasn't been a good one so of course I am not going to be very receptive to them.
Mar 30, 2020 9:57 AM

Aug 2017
Zeroflamez said:
@PokestarFan Why do you constantly insist that just because you haven't seen what I'm talking about that it doesn't exist?

DaCraziGuy said:

Nice false assumptions . I don't give a shit about what people's opinion are of what I watch

TolkienFan365 said:

How exactly am I beng toxic? I'm talking about the people who act the way I've described. Not the entire fan base as a whole. I also don't hate the AoT fandom. Nor do I think they are all degenerates. Nor do I actively go out of my way to insult a fan every time I see them. However my experience with them hasn't been a good one so of course I am not going to be very receptive to them.
I'm just saying that most places aren't like that, so if you avoid those few places, that should solve your problem.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Mar 30, 2020 12:04 PM

May 2014
Zeroflamez said:
WitchJacqueline said:

Yes and no.

Yes anime is:
More easily available
in vogue

No
Yeah.

Worst time to be a classic Anime fan? Care to explain a bit more? I've never heard this before. Do you mean like an old fan or a fan of classic anime?

Both honestly? Classics culture is dying in the anime community (something which I absolutely abhor) and thus taking those of us who rode somewhere between old classics and hidden gems with it. Sure anime is easier now than ever to get, but I also feel like the community at large is not making use of that at all. But yeah the fandom also changed in a way that entirely eradicates the older cultures I feel. If you, like me, are more on board with the older ways of binging old ass anime instead of watching seasonal stuff week by week to forget it the month after, now's a terrible time to be an anime fan.
Mar 30, 2020 12:13 PM

May 2013
Haha, I like the community degeneracy and all. It's fun to me.

The anime community in the 2000s was so boring in comparison.

And I mean, I feel more at home with the fellow degenerates than not. Makes me feel not alone in being a deviant weirdo.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

120 by TransferUser »»
2 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 5 hours ago

14 by ProGoddess »»
6 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Apr 26

72 by TransferUser »»
9 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 6 hours ago

21 by Subarctic-Forest »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

81 by Spunkert »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.