Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Smile Down the Runway
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 28, 2020 11:55 AM

Nov 2010
The world of fashion is absolutely retarded, and this show did nothing to convince me otherwise or to make me appreciate it even slightly. I would compare it to Hinomaruzumou in that regard.
Mar 28, 2020 2:22 PM

Feb 2008
I was mildly surprised that Ikuto did not make the top ten, this being a shounen series and all. But it was a fine conclusion in line with Toh's withdrawal. Now both Ikuto and Toh can reach new heights.

Good for Kokoro, though. She managed to prove her worth to her manager. Despite the circumstances of Kokoro's triumph.

Chiyuki also did well to finally land an exclusive contract.

Mar 28, 2020 2:59 PM
Mar 2015
Did not like Chiyuki and Kokoro getting everything handed to them I understand why Toh quit
Mar 28, 2020 3:17 PM
Jul 2019
It hit all of my expectations, I could nit pick about some areas, but overall I’m super happy with how it turned out, hopefully there’ll be a season 2. 10/10 :)
Mar 28, 2020 3:22 PM

Mar 2019
Anyone got a link to that sweet Insert Song during Toh's show?
Mar 28, 2020 4:29 PM

Apr 2012
Pretty satisfying ending, new horizons for everyone.

One that note even without having read the manga, I felt the show was too rushed. It showed some bits of craft, but how much more interesting the details must have been. It was still well made, but with another cour, it could have attained greatness.

I don't know, let's just hope for another season someday.
Mar 28, 2020 6:58 PM

Aug 2018
My favorite show this Winter 2020 season. It succeeded in giving me some real emotions or feelings (mostly stress in the last episode, before the main characters starting their shows) and made me appreciate most characters who I found very interesting to follow.

Honestly, the fashion never attracted me and I basically missed the first 2 episodes until an Instagram post mentioned the beautiful visuals Runway de Waratte had : I'm glad it leaded me to watch the whole show.

This last episode made me happy considering the mostly happy ending (Chiyuki being hired as an exclusive model, Kokoro winning the 1st place, Ikuto entering a famous company). I didn't expect Ikuto to win but I'm glad this show created some opportunities for him.

Hoping to see more of this show anyday !
Mar 28, 2020 8:13 PM

Aug 2007
I really enjoy every episode of this anime. I am not a person that is interested in fashion, but the theme got me. It ends in a perfect point, showing us the results of the contest, and everyone still looking forward.

I want to continue reading the manga. I am interested specially in Kokoro and her career. I mean... Does she will continue modeling or only focuses on her design career?
Mar 28, 2020 10:57 PM

Nov 2012
What started as a filler anime for me quickly turned into one of my favorites. I really enjoyed it.
Mar 29, 2020 1:58 AM
Apr 2018
Wait, so the main character... lost? Or did the main character win? I'm always confused when there's two equally main characters as to who the *actual* main character is. But with how nice a character Ikuto was I assumed he'd be the main main character and win, so this episode left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I was expecting Either Ikuto or some random to win, for Hasegawa to rank top 3 and convince her manager somehow that it counts as a win, and for Ayano to rank low but get the 53 buyers. I certainly wasn't expecting it to be that no-one won except Chiyuki and Hasegawa.
Mar 29, 2020 2:17 AM

Sep 2010
Kokoro deserved to win

Toh's show was also lovely
Mar 29, 2020 9:51 PM

Jul 2016
So Kokoro won just because Toh dropped out at the end, uh? Dramatic until the last episode but well, at least I'm glad all the main characters got a happy ending in one way or another. All in all, it was a satisfying conclusion for the series.

Now regarding the anime as a whole, it was indeed an interesting experience. Liked both story progression and main characters (Chiyuki can be quite intense sometimes but considering the shit she has to put up with, I can't really blame her) but I wasn't totally convinced with how the drama was handled. Especially during the "Kokoro's manager" sub-plot where I didn't like how ambiguous things were regarding Kokoro's contract as well as her circumstances with her agency.

6,5/10 -> 7/10 - Not sure if I want a second season, being honest. Characters like Kokoro's manager and Yanagida really test my patience so I don't know if I want to feel that stressed again xD
Mar 29, 2020 11:54 PM

Jan 2013
This anime was obviously rushed, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. Easily one of my favorites this season, I hope there'll be a 2nd season.
Mar 30, 2020 4:20 PM
Dec 2018
Chikyuki is the best anime midget since Captain Levi.
Mar 31, 2020 8:46 AM

Nov 2011
AOTS.

Where to begin, i'm usually a sucker for these occupation anime, but when i saw fashion design i thought this would've been too much for me. However, the plot was good, the characters were great, the MC is one of the few likeable timid main leads, really felt Chiyuki's pain and her never say die attitude to achieve her goal, overall, it was more multi layered and went to different places that i wasn't expecting it to. 8.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 2, 2020 2:37 AM

Apr 2019
Win-win-win for Chiyuki (exclusive model contract as a reward for not giving up), Kokoro (acknowledgement & maybe confidence boost) and Ikuto (experience, growth & 1st step to becoming what he's dreaming of)!

I wanted more/ better visuals & fashion outfits as the ones shown are quite forgettable, but story, wanting to know how their futures will look like, kept me in front of the screen each week :)
Apr 2, 2020 12:53 PM

May 2010
I am actually glad Ikuto didn't win.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 6, 2020 10:13 AM

Jun 2009
with that twist and some bullshittery writing, apparently this anime turn into shonen story in the end... lol
Apr 7, 2020 9:00 PM

Oct 2016
Just like with Shougeki no Souma, I somewhat enjoy these non battle shounen which imitates battle shounen.

As for My Fashion Academia, it did have some interesting things in it but I don't feel that positive about it with how fast and convenient some events played out, would watch a second season but not a big fan of it either.
Apr 8, 2020 11:27 PM

Aug 2017
It was an all right show. Good resolution for Chiyuki modeling for the teen mag. Kokoro should do modeling, it's a waste having her design.

Ikuto is a wimpy male character, I don't really like guys like him. Toh is better.
Apr 10, 2020 12:36 AM
Aug 2019
Season 2 where you at??

Does anyone know what chapter of the manga I should start reading after this episode?
Apr 10, 2020 9:56 PM
Sep 2018
This anime is underrated af, it should be more popular!! 9/10
Apr 13, 2020 7:42 AM
Apr 2019
Well, like the other say Kokoro carried this show.. well deserved win.. although seems like big brain from sara lmao and that toh guy withdrawing..

I enjoy this anime a lots..

9/10
Apr 15, 2020 12:57 PM

Feb 2019
Kinda unexpected to be honest but it was definitely a fresh end compared to other 'competition' anime out there.
Apr 15, 2020 1:36 PM

Apr 2016
My boy Ikuto is already getting inquiries for his designs. He's moving up in the world.

Kokoro took first. Good for her. I'm surprised that Ikuto didn't even place in the top 10 though.

This cour wrapped up very nicely! Ikuto is moving forward with designing and Chiyuki is getting featured in an exclusive magazine -- things are looking good for the both of them! The result of their hard work is showing! As for everything else, definitely way above average. The animation and art are stellar, the story carries a great and highly relatable message, the soundtrack is brilliant; I have no complaints other than the small pacing issues.

7/10
Apr 20, 2020 6:51 PM
Jun 2016
I want to read the manga now but what chapter does the anime end off of?
Apr 26, 2020 7:12 PM

Mar 2013
I regret watching this. I could feel it in the last few episodes, it just wasn't worth the time. Constant ridiculous melodrama that often became comical, plus poor animation... and nothing much else to speak of. No more than a 4 or 5/10.
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
May 8, 2020 7:58 PM
Apr 2020
I don't understand what is the focus of this show. I can't say I'm impressed with the designs at the end and Kokoro basically cheated because the other girl was feeding her ideas. She would have lost with her own ability.
Jun 13, 2020 5:25 PM

May 2013
This anime was surprisingly v good! I would've picked Kokoro as a winner as well. All her pieces stuck to the theme concept. She gave the illusion that Chiyuki was a tall model and that wasn't busted until Kokoro herself walked the runway to reveal the height gap. Chiyuki was AMAZEBALLS at working different roles utilizing her walk, expressions, and form to show off the wardrobes. Kokoro kept the audience's attention throughout her entire line and every transformation was creative, well-blended, and innovative.

THAT'S why she won. Well deserved, girlies <3

8/10

Loved the character growth in this anime as well, from the mains to the background/side charas.
Jun 28, 2020 8:57 AM

Jul 2015
Ayano's lineup wasn't that good in my opinion, glad that Kokoro won but too bad for Ikuto even though it's pretty impressive that he ranked relatively high against college students while still being a highschool student.

Even though a bit overdramatic at times, this was pretty enjoyable to watch I hope they continue this with a second season, would love to see Chiyuki and Ikuto reach their endgoal.

Jul 20, 2020 1:31 AM

May 2012
It wasn't bad, but I do got to say the MC from start directly shifted focus and while we knew it was about two MC's it seems the latter one got most of the focus.

It was fine, nothing too special to be honest but still fun too watch.
Aug 15, 2020 6:48 PM

Jun 2014
I'm quite surprised that Ikuto didn't make the top 10. He was quite devastated, but like usual, he's still managed to press forward. Kokoro did incredibly well, and now Chiyuki has gotten hired, so things are looking good for everyone in a way.

I sure hope that there ends up being a second season.

Aug 20, 2020 5:59 PM
Oct 2019
This series was really nice. I had no clue how good it would be. It was pretty emotional throughout. And I enjoyed everyone wanting to prove and better themselves. 8/10

Are Ikuto and Chiyuki going to be a thing? I kind of feel like they will be. Friends and rivals that turn into lovers. But Kokoro is also a possible love interest. Guess I have to wait for season 2. I hope there's a season 2...
Sep 11, 2020 10:26 AM
Oct 2018
Gave some results i was not expecting but i see why it makes sense. I thought ayano had it in the bag but nope, i like how this show does a great job of giving characters actual progression even though they have talent its balanced with problems they have to come to terms with. I liked chiyuki and ikuto and everyone is likable too, the characters have opened possibilities by hard work and seeing them get there at the end was worth it.8/10 i was really looking forward to watching every episode it is worth watching and you will have a great time watching.
Sep 15, 2020 4:15 PM

Feb 2012
interesting anime, i would have never thought i would have liked something about fashion in anime. Seems like that model Seira only voted for Kokoro to get rid of her as a rival because she was afraid of her potential.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Sep 21, 2020 11:02 AM

Sep 2009
I hope there's going to be a Sequel for this show. I want to see more episodes T_T
Oct 25, 2020 8:48 PM

Jun 2017
I really enjoyed this series, I didn't expect to shed some tears while watching it though :'). I hope there's going to be a season 2.
Dec 10, 2020 12:32 AM
Apr 2016
Pretty decent show, can't say I derived zero enjoyment out of it. I also learned a thing or two from it, so that's always nice when watching anime.
Dec 24, 2020 7:33 PM

Jan 2012
So Toh got first, dropped out because Ikuto wasn't by his side to finish his last outfit, got 52 instead of only 53 needed to beat granny's test, and cleared the way for Kokoro to win. I get all that right? That's an awfully big set of coincidences required by the plot lol. Normally I'd say lousy writing, but with this series it's...well still lousy writing. But it probably works better as just the end of a single manga arc considering you'd still be reading next week. In anime format though that's it. The End. At least until a season 2 gets announced. To my knowledge that hasn't happened yet. Guess we'll see.

Going into this series blind, just reading the synopsis, I thought surely this would be Chiyuki's story. With Ikuto perhaps as the deuteragonist of sorts. Instead their roles flipped. Ikuto by far and away received the most screentime. He was the obvious main protagonist. Hell the ending theme revolved around him and his family. And arguably Chiyuki wasn't even second in importance as Kokoro got just as much attention. It certainly felt as if she did anyway. Chiyuki only got to be a model in the end by hamfisting her into Kokoro's story as absurd as that sounds. Still, the story the series chose to tell was told well I suppose. The question then is if it's fair for me to dock points because it wasn't entirely the story I wanted or expected? Well if I were a professional reviewer/critic getting paid I'd be inclined to say no. But I'm not. So I have the luxury of letting my biases effect my judgement. And I can't give this more than a 7/10. But who knows, maybe Chiyuki in the manga from here gets more attention and better chances to shine. It seems doubtful given how this ended, but I'll probably never know. This anime failed in the key job of most anime adaptations: to get the audience to want to read the source material. But as I said above I suppose I might check out a second anime season if one ever came.
Mar 13, 2021 9:08 AM
May 2019
This was the worst episode.

The only reason for Kokoro to win was Ayano to fold. And that was done for no reason. Just so that Kokoro would be free of the obligation to be a model.
In addition, half of Kokoro's parade was the way Chiyuki paraded well.

Congratulations to Chiyuki, she trained a lot to get to this job offer. But throughout the season we realize that she is not a good friend; sustained vision in this final episode.

No, I wasn't expecting Ikuto to win the contest, his ending was reasonable, since he is a high school student contesting against college ones. And that's why I don't find Kokoro's win reasonable. She is a freshman.

This was the worst episode, but it was a bad anime overall. I know it is not focused on animation, so I am not putting it on my judgement. But the colors were all pale, not beautiful. The clothes design weren't wonderful (the studio/mangaka could have taken ideias on real fashion clothes and give the credit to designers). The script is weak, after the first episodes the drama is insufficient. The secondary characters have no charm at all.
Apr 16, 2021 3:02 AM

May 2020
So this ending was win for Chiyuki and lose to Ikuto. Not bad story and knowledge about modelling.
Mar 20, 2023 5:03 PM
Oct 2009
Didn't like the Ending. 
Actually i dunno why a fitter is so good, her works are great, but in that aspect 7-th place is redicolous. Dunno why she bailed in first episodes, not making any sense.
Koroko coming 1-st is rediculous, it is made only as a step but she made mistakes and wasn't as great as make others. MC losing in the end was also lame, he was sold in the end and he sold a design for 2 million yen, so he should be place higher. Didn't really like his fashion sense exept for his 1-st outfit it was amazing, while his pajamas were a disaster ... MC has common sense so he should know that he needed to make smth extravagant, too but i don't see a problem with casual clothes why couldn't one win with those and them being a problem. I think most people buy casual clothes doesn't mean they can't be fashionable. Also i feel liked he was robbed, he first thought of an idea with a wind and i can imagine him making smth good, but the way things turned ... I am furious with many things in the end.
Jun 7, 2023 11:32 AM
May 2020
Satisfying conclusion!

But will there be a season 2 though??!?
Sep 16, 2023 2:48 PM

Feb 2022
this series was a huuge positive surprise for me. so many twists in the story, i was never bored watching it. Chiyuki clearly best girl btw. outfits on the festival looked 🔥 as well. 8/10 by me, it's kind of a shame so few people know about this little gem.
                                                    slice of life anime, my beloved.

2D>>>>>>
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

65 by phantom346 »»
Feb 13, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2020

56 by phantom346 »»
Jan 17, 7:48 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

46 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 8:06 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2020

45 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 6:38 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2020

42 by 1Konochi »»
May 30, 2023 3:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.