Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 20, 2020 10:50 PM

Oct 2010
Live stream ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA4aK5yUMG4) just confirmed it. I'll post a link to the trailer once it's uploaded

edit: https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1241240731659857920

will edit proper trailer in when it's up

Sorry for misspelling"premieres", can't edit title

edit 3: Official Trailer

KougeruMar 20, 2020 11:06 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 20, 2020 10:54 PM

Oct 2010
I thought we knew it was a remake? Or maybe that was just what I expected since I can't imagine it being anything else, given the story was already finished. And yes, HYPE for the original voice cast!!
Mar 20, 2020 11:02 PM

Nov 2011
Mar 20, 2020 11:06 PM

Jun 2015
I take these Watanabe Akio desings all day compared to the derpy faces by DEEN in the original.
Mar 20, 2020 11:11 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Much faster than I expected it to be, honestly.

New Anime Staff and Character Designs:

https://twitter.com/higu_anime/status/1241243642641055745?s=20
https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1241243010420994048?s=20
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 20, 2020 11:26 PM

Dec 2015
i'm so hyped for this ! <3
Mar 20, 2020 11:37 PM

Nov 2016
So is this a remake, sequel or side-story?
Don't question my antics.
Mar 20, 2020 11:40 PM

Oct 2010
As long as they get the twisted, demented faces right I'll be happy
Mar 20, 2020 11:42 PM
Feb 2017
Agent_of_Maine said:

A remake. They will probably not rush it as much or so I’ve heard.

Also WOW 14 years and it finally gets a remake. Those new designs are so weird, although I’m only thinking that as the characters have transitioned from Deen’s 2006 designs to 2020 Passione. I’m super excited though.

Please do Toradora next please do Toradora next.
Mar 20, 2020 11:47 PM

Oct 2010
BlakexEkalb said:

It's slightly off topic, but I have to ask. What could remaking Toradora do? Was it not done well vs the novel? I didn't read the LN so I don't know. But the anime was extremely well-received globally. I didn't think there was much room for improvement. I loved it.
Mar 20, 2020 11:49 PM

Nov 2016
BlakexEkalb said:
Agent_of_Maine said:

A remake. They will probably not rush it as much or so I’ve heard.

Also WOW 14 years and it finally gets a remake. Those new designs are so weird, although I’m only thinking that as the characters have transitioned from Deen’s 2006 designs to 2020 Passione. I’m super excited though.

Hope it's a good remake then. I wonder how far they'll go with this remake - as far as Kai? I'm a massive fan of Studio Deen's Higurashi so I hope Passione can bring justice to the series. Well, even if Passione screws up, at least I've got the original anime to return to.

I'm glad that the original cast are returning, plus the original OST is as well. So far, things are looking good. The change in design is a bit jarring, but I can get used to it if they don't butcher the story.
Agent_of_MaineMar 20, 2020 11:54 PM
Don't question my antics.
Mar 21, 2020 12:24 AM

Oct 2010
All I need now is Eiko Shimamiya to confirm her return for the OP and I'll be in heaven.
Mar 21, 2020 1:24 AM

May 2016
more rika makes me really happy~
Mar 21, 2020 1:30 AM
Feb 2017
Kougeru said:
BlakexEkalb said:

It's slightly off topic, but I have to ask. What could remaking Toradora do? Was it not done well vs the novel? I didn't read the LN so I don't know. But the anime was extremely well-received globally. I didn't think there was much room for improvement. I loved it.

Ah my bad, perhaps “remaster” is a better word for it, not remake. I’m fine with how it was executed, but it looking and sounding even better sounds good to me.
Mar 21, 2020 1:31 AM

Nov 2019
BlakexEkalb said:
Kougeru said:

Ah my bad, perhaps “remaster” is a better word for it, not remake. I’m fine with how it was executed, but it looking and sounding even better sounds good to me.

But it looks good even until this day (at least for me)
Mar 21, 2020 1:39 AM

Apr 2012
I still think Kai designs are one of the best things that happened to anime but Watanabe's designs look pretty decent too.
inuvivoMar 21, 2020 1:51 AM
@inuvivo on twitter!
Mar 21, 2020 3:39 AM
Aug 2018
Really hoping they tell this story in a way that'll make it a little easier for the audience to understand. I remember being super confused when I first watched it.
Mar 21, 2020 5:01 AM

Jul 2015
Wow. That's unexpectedly fast. I was expecting it in 2021 and judging by the PV, it will be readaptation.
Anyway, both Spring and Summer are going to be the best seasons in anime history. Mark my words.

Mar 21, 2020 5:07 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
I'm looking forward to it as I was a huge Higurashi fan back then. It's a bit weird to see it in this art style, but I'll probably get used to it very quickly. More Rena is always appreciated <3

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Mar 21, 2020 5:34 AM
Jan 2018
I'll watch anything with Akio Watanabe involved
Mar 21, 2020 5:40 AM

Sep 2009
I've only seen the original 1st season... Always meant to pick it up and keep watching one day, but just never gotten around to it lol xD So I'm happy to hear about this, will give me a chance to refresh my memory on the series and hopefully finally get to finish it ^,^

We're all golden
Sunflwers
on the inside :>
Mar 21, 2020 5:44 AM

Sep 2009
Haptism93 said:
I'm looking forward to it as I was a huge Higurashi fan back then. It's a bit weird to see it in this art style, but I'll probably get used to it very quickly. More Rena is always appreciated <3

Yeah the art style is way too bright for my liking, and the characters look even more... moe which is good I guess, cuz it makes their second nature even more unpredictable for new viewers I suppose, but I'm kinda scared of how will they pull off their psycho looks... I mean in the old animation style they gave me chills xD I do hope they won't screw it up XD

We're all golden
Sunflwers
on the inside :>
Mar 21, 2020 7:06 AM
Jan 2018
I've got high hopes for this remake.

I loved Deen's adaption from the OPs to the iconic scenes (the 1st Arc, the twins, Shion's laugh, the Fingernail scene, 'Nipah', etc.) - even if it had some rough animation, it was always a joy to watch.
So, hopefully, this remake will do justice on the OG Visual Novels and those iconic scenes, whilst also expand on the areas missed out in the Deen adaption.

On a side note - if this does well, I hope we can get a faithful remake of Elfen Lied in the near future.
Aside from the iconic OP, that show is in desperate need of a redo.
Z-NitroMar 21, 2020 7:11 AM
Mar 21, 2020 7:49 AM
Aug 2017
Should we be concerned about this director though? His only other notable works are Galko-chan and the Kaiji spin off. The prior of which was a deconstruction of another genre; the latter of which was considered decent by many. He was also the director behind Island, which was not the best.

I haven't read any of the manga that his directed series was based on so I'm not sure if he puts any major influence on his works.

Galko-chan was great but it could have been executed better, which is my main concern about this guy.

Also, the Series Composition is by Naoko Hayashi who did the key animation on Promare. That's really exciting.

I'm happy that the original voice actors and Kenji Kawai are back tho.

The script might stay the same but the execution might be bad.
Ronan_Maharaj123Mar 21, 2020 7:54 AM
Mar 21, 2020 9:45 AM
Jul 2018
I’m no longer excited after watching the atrocious PV. The character designs besides being awful, don’t fit the story. The director doesn’t seem to be that trustworthy too, but I won’t judge this early. I’m still watching some episodes as I loved Deen’s Higurashi
Mar 21, 2020 10:44 AM

Nov 2013
Ronan_Maharaj123 said:
Should we be concerned about this director though? His only other notable works are Galko-chan and the Kaiji spin off. The prior of which was a deconstruction of another genre; the latter of which was considered decent by many. He was also the director behind Island, which was not the best.

The script might stay the same but the execution might be bad.

This. I totally agree, my hopes are not all that high because of the director alone sadly.

I have something else to back this up, I wrote a program that crunches numbers and usually comes up with a fairly decent predicted score based off the cast working on it. While writing this I've found that the director usually is what makes or breaks a series, though a few other things factor in.

It spits out a predicted score of 7.04 ± 0.32, or using the MAL scoring norm, "it wasn't terrible but it wasn't good" to "it was alright but nothing special".
Mar 21, 2020 11:37 AM

Sep 2014
Ugh the design makes me lose all interest in this remake. Probably going to stick with the original. And here I was excited before.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 21, 2020 12:11 PM
Sep 2014
Not a fan of the art, but whatever I'm still hyped! More Higurashi is more Higurashi!
Mar 21, 2020 2:33 PM

Apr 2015
Looking forward to it, and unlike other's here, I like new designs.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 21, 2020 2:35 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Again, would've made much more sense to reboot Umineko than Higurashi but I'll take it

I'm curious what they'll actually do differently though other than the art style. Because I mean story-wise the original adaptation didn't really do a whole lot wrong
Mar 21, 2020 4:19 PM
Jan 2018
Wow. Even as someone that's not a fan of the original, this looks terrible. The designs are completely unfitting and the studio and staff suck. Literally the only good part of this is the composer who's wasting his time on this. I never thought there'd be a time where I missed Deen.
Mar 21, 2020 4:28 PM

May 2015
Really don't know what people are on about with the designs. They're way better than the original ones imo. Akio Watanabe is the GOAT. Also, there's been plenty of shows that had seemingly weak staff but turned out to be great. Being all doom and gloom before it even airs is just weird. Yeah, it could be bad, but it could also be good. We'll just have to wait and see.

Mar 21, 2020 4:53 PM

Dec 2017
I'm really looking forward to this although I have my doubts. From watching the trailer, this does look to be a remake with, most likely, some quality of life improvements. I don't have faith in the director of the series though but I could be wrong and the story maintains the mystery element with subtlety and nervousness.

I don't find the aniamtion and character designs jarring because, let's be honest, the bar is set pretty low when compared to the 2006 adaptation and they do look servicable from a first glance. My question with the animation though is how they are going to do the signature Higurashi faces? Even though the animation is the weakest part of the 2006 version, those faces in that series are pretty terrifying due to their slopiness. Hopefully, they don't fanservice this series up as well.

Thankfully, Kenji Kawai is back to do the music in this series. I love his work in Higurashi 2006, Gundam 00 and No Guns Life. I have full trust he can deliver the same errie ost for this adaptation as well.

Higurashi 2006 was the anime that made me the hardcore anime fan I am today. So while I probably won't get scared or unsettled by it (probably because I know what's coming), I'm hoping that I still enjoy this adaptation of a franchise I love so much.
Snapshot426Mar 21, 2020 4:58 PM

Mar 23, 2020 2:38 PM

Dec 2008
Seems this'll be a remake.

The animation looks weird, but I'll get used to it. The cast sounds the same, yay. Looks like it'll be different, but I've already watched/read the story several times in the original anime, manga, live action, and of course the original sound novels -- I'm up for another version. Even if it's not great I'll still have all the other versions.
Mar 24, 2020 8:31 AM

Apr 2012
prepare4trouble said:

The animation looks weird, but I'll get used to it. The cast sounds the same, yay. Looks like it'll be different, but I've already watched/read the story several times in the original anime, manga, live action, and of course the original sound novels -- I'm up for another version. Even if it's not great I'll still have all the other versions.

You mean the art/designs are weird. The animations are pretty well done in the PV.
@inuvivo on twitter!
Mar 24, 2020 3:32 PM

Dec 2008
inuvivo said:
prepare4trouble said:

You mean the art/designs are weird. The animations are pretty well done in the PV.

No, I meant what I said. It's not a value judgement but some of the movement does look strange to me. Though how shiny the characters are, even in most of the dark scenes might have influenced that. The designs look mostly the same except in a different art style.
Mar 25, 2020 9:10 AM
Feb 2016
I have good hopes for it, still wonder what they’re adapting truly this time around. I hope they incorporate more of the visual novel elements because I feel the og anime really skipped out on those parts, unfortunately. Also I hope the soundtrack and opening and endings songs are just as good.
clown president general plue
Mar 25, 2020 1:03 PM
Jun 2019
I prefer the old designs by far but I don’t hate the new ones, or at least I don’t hate all of them. The new Rika design is ugly af and I don’t want to have the uchiage hanabi guy as Keiichi. The other ones are all too bright without proper shading but still tolerable.
Mar 25, 2020 1:06 PM

Nov 2018
Love the Original Adaptation, but looking forward to this regardless, although the Original OP by Eiko Shimamiya will never be beaten :p
Mar 25, 2020 6:51 PM

Mar 2019
The animations looks good!

Apr 3, 2020 9:07 AM

Jul 2012
Ronan_Maharaj123 said:

What are you talking about, for his directing job in Sket Dance alone I'm having high hopes for this adaptation, and that one was by far his most notable work together with Zettai Karen Children. Galko-chan and the Kaiji spin-off were nowhere near as big of a deal as those.

Ronan_Maharaj123 said:

Also, the Series Composition is by Naoko Hayashi who did the key animation on Promare. That's really exciting.

Series Composition is mostly regarding how all of the script stuff and storyboards will go and what things they will include. Considering the guy adapted Citrus' content close to perfection (whether you like the material or not), I think it's safe to say that we likely won't be getting a butchered job from him.
Apr 4, 2020 7:34 AM

Apr 2020
Danpmss said:
Ronan_Maharaj123 said:

What are you talking about, for his directing job in Sket Dance alone I'm having high hopes for this adaptation, and that one was by far his most notable work together with Zettai Karen Children. Galko-chan and the Kaiji spin-off were nowhere near as big of a deal as those.

Ronan_Maharaj123 said:

Series Composition is mostly regarding how all of the script stuff and storyboards will go and what things they will include. Considering the guy adapted Citrus' content close to perfection (whether you like the material or not), I think it's safe to say that we likely won't be getting a butchered job from him.

Hayashi is pretty loyal to the original source. He worked on key like a decade ago if I recall correctly. Or two decades. He was a vn writer himself before but oh well, too bad we're not seeing a full adaptation this time. It's like a sidestory/spinoff that probably acts as an add on like how extra arcs work in the PS2/3/V/NDS games. At least he will respect the source material's settings though.
Apr 4, 2020 9:51 PM

Jul 2012
nipur said:
Danpmss said:

Hayashi is pretty loyal to the original source. He worked on key like a decade ago if I recall correctly. Or two decades. He was a vn writer himself before but oh well, too bad we're not seeing a full adaptation this time. It's like a sidestory/spinoff that probably acts as an add on like how extra arcs work in the PS2/3/V/NDS games. At least he will respect the source material's settings though.

All of the scenes displayed thus far come directly from Onikakushi-hen's visual novel, even some club activities omitted in the previous adaptation.

Definitely sounds more like a increasedly faithful reboot that will take more of its time with stuff, than a random adaptation for the extra arcs tbh.
Apr 5, 2020 5:46 AM

Apr 2020
Danpmss said:
nipur said:

All of the scenes displayed thus far come directly from Onikakushi-hen's visual novel, even some club activities omitted in the previous adaptation.

Definitely sounds more like a increasedly faithful reboot that will take more of its time with stuff, than a random adaptation for the extra arcs tbh.

Don't keep your hopes up is what I'm saying. I know ppl who works on it so I'll tell you right now it's not an adaptation of the original arcs.
I would have loved it too seeing how the original butchered the story but like yea. Things don't work the way we want.
I guess you can... well, dream about it for now. Just don't be sad when those expectations pulverize after a few eps. There was even a world where Rika just ends up dying one ep in lol so... yea.
Still I think they might be adapting some of the SoL moments from the vn. Which is nice.
nipurApr 5, 2020 5:55 AM
Apr 5, 2020 6:24 AM

Aug 2019
ill just binge the higurashi series before this comes. ive got time.
Apr 5, 2020 7:34 AM

Dec 2015
fuckgendo said:
ill just binge the higurashi series before this comes. ive got time.

or you could read/play the visual novel, this's a remake so you don't need the old anime to watch this and hopefully it'll be a better adaptation than the old anime.
Tsukumo_YuumaApr 5, 2020 8:07 AM
Apr 5, 2020 7:45 AM

Dec 2015
nipur said:
Danpmss said:

Don't keep your hopes up is what I'm saying. I know ppl who works on it so I'll tell you right now it's not an adaptation of the original arcs.
I would have loved it too seeing how the original butchered the story but like yea. Things don't work the way we want.
I guess you can... well, dream about it for now. Just don't be sad when those expectations pulverize after a few eps. There was even a world where Rika just ends up dying one ep in lol so... yea.
Still I think they might be adapting some of the SoL moments from the vn. Which is nice.

so it's not a new adaptation of the original VN even so the trailer shows scenes from Onikakushi, and the source is....?
dude trust me?
Apr 5, 2020 8:18 AM

Apr 2020
Tsukumo_Yuuma said:
nipur said:

so it's not a new adaptation of the original VN even so the trailer shows scenes from Onikakushi, and the source is....?
dude trust me?

Yes the pv shows onikakushi-hen stuff so what
I already said they might be adapting bits of the original visual novel but they're doing additional original stories instead of adapting original material
If you wanna verify when the show is out on whether what i'm saying is true and not just a wild guess from me
the arcs will be named "-damashi hen"
And yes source is me
You can choose to not trust me you will just get hurt at the end for hoping for a full adaptation of original arcs /shrug
How am I supposed to credit a leak from myself lol im making an alt for this so I don't doxx whoever told me this

But yea thinking about it I do think it is weird that they are naming it Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni without any suffix
I do not know the whole story structure obviously cuz my insider friend only worked on a small part of it but like
I wonder if they are trying to retell the story
From materials I have though they're exposing the world view and Rika's perspective pretty early on
even talking about the fragment system really early on so... welp.
Still from the part of story I know it's a pretty interesting take so I won't say this take of the story is doomed from the start.
They're mixing up bits and pieces from the already adapted arcs and I'd say it feels a bit like Miotsukushi-hen.
It's like partially adapting routes and then deviating them.
Some animators other than my friend actually thought it was a remake too until they told me something that didn't happen in the original and I was like huh.
nipurApr 5, 2020 8:32 AM
Apr 5, 2020 8:58 AM

Dec 2015
nipur said:
Tsukumo_Yuuma said:

dude trust me?

I already said they might be adapting bits of the original visual novel but they're doing additional original stories instead of adapting original material
If you wanna verify when the show is out on whether what i'm saying is true and not just a wild guess from me
And yes source is me
You can choose to not trust me you will just get hurt at the end for hoping for a full adaptation of original arcs /shrug
How am I supposed to credit a leak from myself lol im making an alt for this so I don't doxx whoever told me this

But yea thinking about it I do think it is weird that they are naming it Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni without any suffix
I do not know the whole story structure obviously cuz my insider friend only worked on a small part of it but like
From materials I have though they're exposing the world view and Rika's perspective pretty early on
Still from the part of story I know it's a pretty interesting take so I won't say this take of the story is doomed from the start.
They're mixing up bits and pieces from the already adapted arcs and I'd say it feels a bit like Miotsukushi-hen.
Some animators other than my friend actually thought it was a remake too until they told me something that didn't happen in the original and I was like huh.

well, idk but that really doesn't make sense to me, but maybe you're right we'll see.
but ryukishi07 is working on the scenario of the anime with studio passione so i hope if they really will change the original story a little it won't be bad, unless ryukishi-sensei will destroy his own story lol ( if what you're saying is true may be he want to make it like a new experience(?) different from the old anime or the visual novels )
Apr 5, 2020 9:29 AM

Apr 2020
Tsukumo_Yuuma said:
nipur said:

And yes source is me

well, idk but that really doesn't make sense to me, but maybe you're right we'll see.
but ryukishi07 is working on the scenario of the anime with studio passione so i hope if they really will change the original story a little it won't be bad, unless ryukishi-sensei will destroy his own story lol ( if what you're saying is true may be he want to make it like a new experience(?) different from the old anime or the visual novels )

From the storyboard I read it's likely to be stories within her 100 years of struggle. Either that or she fell into loops again after matsuribayashi but that doesn't make sense to me context wise so.

But yea I hope Ryukishi gets more say on the story. The scenario writer is hayashi-san too so he will at least respect the writer. The original writer being "involved in monitoring the story" doesn't really translate to a faithful adaptation actually (looks at rewrite, tensho the director probably only went to a café with Romeo once and call that "monitored").

According to what I have read at least the characters don't act differently from they usually do. But yea. Story wise, I'd say it is a big change from the original. Or rather than change, they're telling something that "wasn't told" in the original (instead of changing things).

Like for example say, in Miotsukushi-hen,

I think they're changing things up similar to this format. I'm not sure what the purpose is for this new season though. They're at least doing two cour so.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2021

395 by Stinkyanimebrap »»
Mar 19, 9:57 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2021

314 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2021

323 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 14, 2021

317 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jan 7, 2021

166 by Drinzen »»
Feb 17, 3:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.