Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Somari and the Guardian of the Forest
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 12, 2020 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Somali in those chains...

I find this episode quite fascinating being that it feels like a character study of the two main leads. Somali and Golem both show human behavior towards each other although the latter shows more withdrawn emotions. Golem's guardianship with Somali feels like a parent and child and it's further explored in this episode. Their relationship is something that has been a core part of this franchise.
Stark700Mar 12, 2020 9:08 AM
Mar 12, 2020 9:34 AM

Feb 2019
Man I'm not ready to be crushed at the end of this like I inevitably know I will. I just want to protect Somali's smile forever

So it seems Auntie Rosa isn't as innocent as she appears.. As my mother always says, you have to be careful of quiet people with glasses.
Marinate1016Mar 12, 2020 10:01 AM
Mar 12, 2020 9:40 AM
Oct 2016
Story from the past to illuminate the present, ah we meet again. Will continue to sing the praises of writers who use that narrative device in such an amazing fashion. Here of course being no exception. Bawled my eyes out during the first half of the episode when it showed Somali first meeting Golem. I've been curious how that came to be since the show started with them already traveling. Very sad origins for Somali being the only survivor in that carriage transporting humans. Maybe lucky she did since if they'd gotten to their destination she'd be dead too, but still it's a bad wrap for such a small child.

Instinctively calling Golem her father even upon first seeing him, maybe it was just survival since he seemed like help in her little mind but it pretty much a miracle. Somali being so relentless and protective even back then. Breaks my heart their time together is almost done. Rest of the episode was more chill with Somali and Shizuno staying home while the big guys went and did the bodyguard job. I swear if any of those grotesque touch a hair on Somali I will flip out. Next episode will be anxiety inducing.
Mar 12, 2020 9:42 AM

Aug 2012
Golem is about to kill some monsters next episode.
Mar 12, 2020 10:26 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Somali's backstory with Golem is really heartwarming, but Rosa is creepy...
Mar 12, 2020 10:29 AM
Dec 2017
Guess who is going to die soon (after watching a preview).
Mar 12, 2020 10:49 AM
Sep 2015
Oh no! Look like something bad is gonna happen to my most favorite character from this anime, the maid orc Yabashira. Because in the preview of the next episode I see only Golem holding Somali and the little orc Shizuno running away from something. I'd rather have Somali died instead.
Mar 12, 2020 11:00 AM

May 2019
Dammit, was the last scene really necessary?

Granny why you doin this
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Mar 12, 2020 11:34 AM

Nov 2013
Golem will not be pleased with such development.
Not
Pleased
At
ALL!
Mar 12, 2020 11:46 AM

Jan 2014
It was real nice to see more of an origin story to how they were traveling. How the golem accepted taking her in. Though today's ep felt like the calm before the storm. In terms of what is seemingly coming up.
Mar 12, 2020 11:58 AM

Aug 2018
Man this anime is going to made cry
Great Episode
8/10
SaiDxvLightMar 18, 2020 12:37 AM
Mar 12, 2020 12:06 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Damm a transport of humans that weren't just captured but killed during the crash as well. Still this expansion into how Golem met Somali and their first days together sure was enlightening. Even back then Somali showed well how stubborn she was. In the present the damage to Golem is far more extensive than expected. Still it was amusing seeing Golem list out all the particulars that Somali had though. The amount of supplies that the inn keeper provided though sure was mighty generous of them. Though the betrayal of Rosa though sure did well in reducing that goodwill. Overall a warm and sweet ep that managed to expand upon Somali and Golem's first days together while also showing just how far their bond has improved since then. Looks like next ep though will be a dramatic one given Rosa's leak to those rogues.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2020 1:02 PM

Oct 2017
A wholesome episode and the flashback was heartwarming. Thou damn the inn keepers wife turned out to be a bitch.
Mar 12, 2020 1:10 PM

Oct 2018
Oh no, why did I watch the preview. I'm 99% sure of what will happen..
Mar 12, 2020 1:22 PM

Dec 2014
nice.... back story...hmmm seems like trouble is brewing
Mar 12, 2020 1:25 PM

Mar 2019
I don't like the "12 Years a Slave" Somali!! Broke my heart!
Mar 12, 2020 1:56 PM

Mar 2017
No no no no no... I won't be able to sleep at night if anything bad happens to Somali; she deserves a long and happy life where she can be free.

That flashback at the start of the episode broke my heart. I already basically knew, but it confirmed that Somali was going to be sold as a slave. God bless Golem for saving her and giving her a family.
Mar 12, 2020 2:59 PM

Apr 2015
This episodes shows us again, how damn gorgeous the scenery backgrounds are, OMG!! Was absolutely beautifull!!

The backstory of how they met and sticked together was really sweet, seeing Somali in chains was a bit hard to watch but I am glad he didn't make her walk too long with it!

Such a wholesome episode again!

That Inn keeper's wife is a bit shady, also didn't expect to see an Axolotl here!
Mar 12, 2020 3:13 PM
Mar 2015
Nice 1st meeting story The bastards are human hunting
Mar 12, 2020 4:31 PM
May 2019
This episode was a blast! Awesome backstory and they didn't make it too long or too short, and they have managed to put some more story continuation.
In addition, I really really hope that nothing will happen to Somali or to anyone else in there! If something would happen I'd be crushed...
AmazingMattMar 12, 2020 4:34 PM
Mar 12, 2020 6:49 PM
Nov 2015
Marinate1016 said:
Man I'm not ready to be crushed at the end of this like I inevitably know I will. I just want to protect Somali's smile forever

So it seems Auntie Rosa isn't as innocent as she appears.. As my mother always says, you have to be careful of quiet people with glasses.

More like never trust the old ladies. They always want to cook the children in a big pot.
Mar 12, 2020 8:51 PM

Feb 2015
Love this episode where somali got her first milk tooth drop. It was so cute to see her hide her being traumatized by the dentisst mouse. Also the whole baking of the cake was cute. I wonder if the robotic personality is what gets more japanese girls understanding of the boys who are also sentimentally frozen and get this robotic personality. LOL jk.
It's basically a clone of Goblin Slayer giving his 'souka' replies under almost any circumstance.
"Miharu denki desu"
Mar 12, 2020 9:48 PM
May 2019
Somali: Dad!
Golem: No.
This show is a hoot.
Mar 12, 2020 10:42 PM

Jul 2016
Golem-san about to go full rampage if those bastards try to touch Somali. Wait... WHY YABASHIRA DOESN'T APPEAR IN THE PREVIEW!? AND DID I SEE SHIZUNO... CRYING!? WHAT!?

Eh... nice episode overall. I'm glad we finally saw what happened before and immediately after Golem found Somali. It was indeed an interesting flashback but seeing Somali acting so "normal" despite being in chains and having her parents most likely dead kinda bothers me a little.
Anyways, other than that, I still liked the whole sequence as well as the wholesome second half with Somali making that amulet thing for his "dad".

Looking and not really looking forward to next week...
Mar 13, 2020 3:21 AM

Jul 2017
Somali and Golem Dad's first meeting, the backstory.

As much as Golem Dad sensed the humans in the forest he's supposed to protect, much akin to unknown creatures, Somali in her ragtag chained state is just too cute to ignore UwU...in spite of that, she continued to pace her footsteps behind him, wherever he goes, there she goes along too.

And I'd guess this is where Somali captured his emotionless heart to do things for her. But this is where she also learns of Golem Dad's chipping (lifespan) body (which I'm definitely not ready for the heartbreak), and giving Somali her name. Being aware to Shizuno of his deteriorating lifespan, Golem Dad risks all to see and watch over her, and makes a promise to the very end.

And the bodyguard job that starts for Golem Dad and Yabashira, Golem Dad is overly concerned, which is a good thing (and makes me chuckle). With that, Shizuno babysits Somali for the 7 days while the adults are away. That portrait of Golem from Somali's kid-style drawing is gold.

With outside help a.k.a innkeeper's wife Auntie Rosa, the children get more enjoyment. Tying something of a friendship band sure captures Somali's attention easily. But with her external personality...now I'm very scared of her...she's basically the same as the residents of the crime-filled town, unlike the husband who may be for or against the whole matter.

Anticipating the next episode...on whether it will break my heart more or mend it even lesser.
KANLen09Mar 13, 2020 3:35 AM
Mar 13, 2020 5:08 AM

Feb 2014
The calm before the storm. Those five words sums up this episode rather perfectly.

Golem tells Shizuno the entire backstory of how he first met Somali. She was the only survivor of a carriage that ended up crashing in the forest that Golem was protecting at the time. Upon first sight, she called him "Dad!", but he flatly rejected it.

Despite that, Somali followed him everywhere, so not only did he give her some food and shelter to sleep, but he named her after the multi-tailed cat that guided him to where Somali was in the first place. The whole flashback was heartwarming. =D

The innkeeper's wife, Rosa, was responsible for taking the supplies to the house that Somali and Shizuno were looking after while Golem and Yabashira were working as bodyguards. Sadly, her reaction completely changed when she hugged Somali when she taught her how to braid the knit balls.

The end of the episode showed Rosa's true colours as she talked to a trio of dirtbags about Somali being a human. Her grinning face does make me worry for Somali and everyone else's safety.

The small preview at the end of the episode only made my worry worse. If the next episode goes the way that I think it'll go, will my heart be able to handle it? I'm not so sure now...
Mar 13, 2020 5:48 AM

Aug 2013
Somali's and Golem's backstory and how they met each other was sad but heartwarming. Seeing Somali in chains broke my heart.

I'm not surprised that Rosa ended up betraying Somali and the rest.

Mar 13, 2020 7:20 AM

Aug 2018
Aaaaah, I heard the sound of betrayal...

Well this episode was definitely too bright & peaceful, something more dramatic was expected. I guess next episode will have some blood & tears.
Mar 13, 2020 7:44 AM
Apr 2018
Protective dad Golem is so cute.

I'm ready to be hurt next episode.
Mar 13, 2020 7:46 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Yup, I knew it! Timing for the backstory was pretty much a giveaway in all fairness but then Aunt Rosa's fidgety behaviour confirmed it for me. I'm so not ready to be crushed by this show. I hope she'll be able to give the Golem the present before the climax though.

I don't know if it's just me but the backstory really did feel alike to the Teresa-Clare relationship from Claymore in the sense of the Golem and Teresa slowly warming up to their respective juniors. In case it isn't clear just yet, it was fantastic! Sweet to see how the name of "Somali" came to be, as well, and overprotective Golem is best DAD!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 13, 2020 11:14 AM

Apr 2012
I like the cinematography of this anime; the way golem contemplating on whether to help Somali or not, that scene of golem weighing the odds of probably on her survival on her own was translated beautifully. "She will die of hunger or probably..." shows golem watching a butterfly getting caught then devoured by a lizard. No words were said after that then you see golem stand up, turn around and then proceed to help Somali starting with breaking her chains.

That aunt Rosa was really kind and helpful but the smell of human flesh and probably a deep seeded hatred towards them is too much to resist. I like the subtlety of how she transitioned from gentle and motherly through her tone, smiles and gestures (open armed) to scheming and conniving (revealing sharp menacing teeth). Raised the tension level to max.

Sadly next week, we're in for something we knew would eventually happen. Let's just hope our hearts could endure it.
Janethan23Mar 13, 2020 11:20 AM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Mar 13, 2020 11:18 AM

Jun 2012
It's been a while since there's a scene picturing out that beautiful forest. And adding the flashback was worth it.

And that aunt was seriously creepy, hope this won't turn into something so dark.
Mar 13, 2020 8:47 PM

Oct 2008
oh no! Rosa-oba is a villain!?!?!?! OH NO!!!
5/5.

Mar 13, 2020 9:43 PM

Sep 2016
On the next episode's menu...axolotl soup!
bruh
Mar 13, 2020 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
Golem boutta clap some cheeks
Mar 14, 2020 4:49 AM

Aug 2012
The episode is extremely devious trying to convince the viewer there is no difference between a chicken and a human. Filial imprinting is only present in certain animals lower on the foodchain . Humans have no such instinct and neither predatory animals that are higher on the foodchain and intelligent. Also the naming part was extremely wrong. A human child that can talk that fluently will have a name and will not accept any name just as an animal. Also the way the golem feeds her is how a human would feed an animal. Humans do not work like that. The ending wanted to be a surprise but was totally expected.
Mar 14, 2020 6:07 AM

Feb 2007
Rule number one when staying in a city of crime: Trust no one.
Mar 14, 2020 8:38 AM

Oct 2019
Nice backstory.
Somali being cute.

CUTE EPISODE.
dunno me baka aho

Mar 14, 2020 9:31 AM

Dec 2013
I was feeling like crying when Golem showed how bad he got since the last time they were together and man that preview with how he mention he wouldn't have been able to do it alone, Not like this... Not like this.
Mar 14, 2020 12:47 PM

Apr 2012
nightcrawlercyp said:
The episode is extremely devious trying to convince the viewer there is no difference between a chicken and a human. Filial imprinting is only present in certain animals lower on the foodchain . Humans have no such instinct and neither predatory animals that are higher on the foodchain and intelligent. Also the naming part was extremely wrong. A human child that can talk that fluently will have a name and will not accept any name just as an animal. Also the way the golem feeds her is how a human would feed an animal. Humans do not work like that. The ending wanted to be a surprise but was totally expected.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on a lot of things here so don't take it personal. First off, it may look like filial imprinting but it isn't. Most imprinting happens almost immediately after birth. Whenever an offspring uses their senses for the first time (sight, smell, hearing and touch) their brains passively "register" the sensations as information to associate with the birth parent. In Somali's case, it probably has to do with trauma. The anime so far hasn't shown how Somali inspite of her circumstances acts with a gentle unassuming outlook devoid of any despair or negativity towards others. I suspect she was treated more of a pet than livestock. She probably learned to speak from her owner and other grotesque or mingling with the captive humans through the years. Her decision to call golem "dad" and follow him could've been an affinity towards the bipedal humanoid form that help raise her. There's also a scene in this episode suggest that Somali is withholding and hiding her inner thoughts to why she acts the way she is. My guess is she's choosing to block something really tragic and traumatizing. You mentioned that it isn't consistent to a human to react that way while being fed? This assumption from you doesn't make any sense when it's perfectly normal for someone who is destitute and pretty much desperate to accept handouts of a stranger's generosity
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.

To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Mar 14, 2020 9:33 PM

May 2019
I love the dichotomous nature of these characters when viewing the narrative from a human perspective. To everyone, Rosa might be gentle and sweet. But to a human...

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Mar 15, 2020 3:10 AM

May 2015
Auntie went full killlermode.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 15, 2020 11:09 AM

Aug 2012
Janethan23 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
I'm going to have to disagree with you on a lot of things here so don't take it personal. First off, it may look like filial imprinting but it isn't. Most imprinting happens almost immediately after birth. Whenever an offspring uses their senses for the first time (sight, smell, hearing and touch) their brains passively "register" the sensations as information to associate with the birth parent. In Somali's case, it probably has to do with trauma. The anime so far hasn't shown how Somali inspite of her circumstances acts with a gentle unassuming outlook devoid of any despair or negativity towards others. I suspect she was treated more of a pet than livestock. She probably learned to speak from her owner and other grotesque or mingling with the captive humans through the years. Her decision to call golem "dad" and follow him could've been an affinity towards the bipedal humanoid form that help raise her. There's also a scene in this episode suggest that Somali is withholding and hiding her inner thoughts to why she acts the way she is. My guess is she's choosing to block something really tragic and traumatizing. You mentioned that it isn't consistent to a human to react that way while being fed? This assumption from you doesn't make any sense when it's perfectly normal for someone who is destitute and pretty much desperate to accept handouts of a stranger's generosity
Have you met lots of destitute people?
Mar 15, 2020 12:42 PM

Apr 2012
nightcrawlercyp said:
Janethan23 said:
I lived among them when I was a kid in a third world country so it annoys the hell out of me to hear people who are completely out of touch to make claims they are "experts" on the matter. As a child back then, my family's concern if there's going to be food the next day when we go to bed or whatever or not the town well will still have water. I find it also amusing that those who whine about 1st world problems have no idea how much they take their situation for granted.
Janethan23Mar 15, 2020 1:16 PM

Mar 16, 2020 1:25 PM

Aug 2012
Janethan23 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
I lived among them when I was a kid in a third world country so it annoys the hell out of me to hear people who are completely out of touch to make claims they are "experts" on the matter. As a child back then, my family's concern if there's going to be food the next day when we go to bed or whatever or not the town well will still have water. I find it also amusing that those who whine about 1st world problems have no idea how much they take their situation for granted.
I have met many poor people but none complained as much as you so it makes me curious where you come from miss California, Africa, India , some islamic country? And well, it would be a first world country if we had a strong army to defend us from all the thieves around: France, Germany, Hungary, Russia,UK, Turkey. About water... didn't you have wells?
Mar 16, 2020 4:46 PM

Nov 2013
nightcrawlercyp said:
Janethan23 said:
I have met many poor people but none complained as much as you so it makes me curious where you come from miss California, Africa, India , some islamic country? And well, it would be a first world country if we had a strong army to defend us from all the thieves around: France, Germany, Hungary, Russia,UK, Turkey. About water... didn't you have wells?

they literally said "or whatever or not the town WELL will still have water" ...
and yes,it's normal for poor people to not know if they will have food the next day... i know stories of people who were rich and in a moment they lost everything and started to live on the roads, surviving with stuff that people give them
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Mar 16, 2020 6:22 PM

Apr 2012
nightcrawlercyp said:
Janethan23 said:
Me complain? Don't misconstrude my answer to your inquiry on whether or not I've met any destitute people. I simply gave you a tiny info of how I lived in the past so I don't know what's your motivation pointing out "Ms.California" when I'm part of a majority of people that came to America for a better opportunity. A lot of self loathing Americans have no Idea how much this country is greatest in the world. It's a shame so many are so out of touch that grew up spoiled and entitled they want to bring down this great nation that gives opportunity to all. I'm too grateful to America to even complain about something that could be solved with effort and patience.
Janethan23Mar 16, 2020 6:28 PM

Mar 16, 2020 9:59 PM

Sep 2018
Baby Somali T-------T I want to adopt her huhuhuh I wish Golem live for a hundred more years!

The Aunt betray them!
Mar 17, 2020 12:12 AM

Aug 2012
winddevil1 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

they literally said "or whatever or not the town WELL will still have water" ...
and yes,it's normal for poor people to not know if they will have food the next day... i know stories of people who were rich and in a moment they lost everything and started to live on the roads, surviving with stuff that people give them
Not my point. Whole is harder in the winter in other you will manage to get food. And people at least in christian countries do help each other In the time after the war in the 70's I think there was famine but people still got by and raised 5-7 kids. I know people on wellfare raising 10-15. So it seems to me things are manageable
Janethan23 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
Me complain? Don't misconstrude my answer to your inquiry on whether or not I've met any destitute people. I simply gave you a tiny info of how I lived in the past so I don't know what's your motivation pointing out "Ms.California" when I'm part of a majority of people that came to America for a better opportunity. A lot of self loathing Americans have no Idea how much this country is greatest in the world. It's a shame so many are so out of touch that grew up spoiled and entitled they want to bring down this great nation that gives opportunity to all. I'm too grateful to America to even complain about something that could be solved with effort and patience.

I see you still did not tell me were you come from yet make assumptions of me being american
Mar 17, 2020 12:57 PM
May 2019
Yo wtf baa-chan, why you do dis?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

67 by Anarcxh »»
Mar 2, 8:00 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

145 by ShitList »»
Jan 26, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2020

115 by Muow »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:38 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

kuuderes_shadow - Oct 25, 2019

205 by Muow »»
Dec 26, 2023 6:36 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2020

77 by GingZ »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.