Forum Settings
Forums

How much ongoing manga you think are acceptable to be on your "Reading list" at once?

New
Feb 28, 2020 4:47 AM
Feb 2019
I have like 10-15 manga on my "Reading" list on Mangadex and I don't know sometimes whether I should just wait until some series become completed or add another to the list. How much do you generally have?
Feb 28, 2020 7:48 AM

Jan 2016
I have like 14 ongoing manga and I refuse to add more because it would be annoying to keep up with all of them
Feb 28, 2020 8:06 AM

Apr 2014
As many as you want. It's entirely up to you, but in my opinion, if you're currently reading a manga, then it belongs on your Reading list.

If you're asking whether you should start reading another manga before one you're already reading finishes, that's up to you too; how many can you keep up with? How many stories can you follow without getting them (too) mixed up? Also, consider the fact that most manga run for years--you could potentially be waiting for a very long time for a "slot" to open up.

lelemeta said:
In the interim i use the on hold partition to track the ones im also reading but dont care that much to follow, and pickup to read every so often.

Hmm...maybe I ought to do this. It wouldn't really affect much, but it'd clean up my list a bit. I only check up on slow-updating series like HxH and D.Grayman once in a while, so I'm not really actively reading them. Thanks for the idea! :D

~Sincerely, someone who let file folders pile up on her desk for a month for lack of a place to put them before finally realizing she could just stick them in crates.
Feb 28, 2020 11:45 AM

Jun 2012
Theoretically, the maximum input should be proportional to how many chapters you can read in a day multiply by at least seven.

In practicality, just the number of chapters you could read in a day.
Feb 28, 2020 11:49 AM

Sep 2019
One chapter wouldn't take too much time to read. Only 30 minutes at most. So if there is only like... one ongoing manga that i read i'd be bored to death. So if i have to say, there's no limit. Even 50 ongoing mangas wouldn't be too much for me. The problem is... i haven't found that many.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Feb 28, 2020 1:41 PM
Jul 2018
According to my current list, 18. It's not acceptable, but I also cannot stop myself from doing it.
Feb 29, 2020 9:23 AM
Jul 2018
Got 13 in my "Reading" list, 9 of them listed as "Publishing".
Generally I add whatever I am in the mood for, don't care about the number.
Mar 1, 2020 6:59 AM

Sep 2019
Well, let me check my reading bookmarks.

50 bookmarks
Yikes. I'm going to guess 18 ongoing ones in there, but that's just an estimation.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Mar 1, 2020 10:36 PM

Feb 2018
Well for me it says 176 which holy shit is a pretty huge number
Of course for a lot of these ongoing series I don't really know if many of them will be picked up again
Every day I'll have like 6 or 8 new chapters to read so that's nice(I mean on a slow day it'll be like 2 or 3)
Mar 1, 2020 10:53 PM

Mar 2016
I've got 41 listed but it should be around 50 with the manhwa and manhua titles that aren't on MAL. Some of them release daily, some weekly, some monthly, and some once in a blue moon. In the end, you can read as many as you want.

I'll admit that it's sometimes hard to keep up with the details in longer running manga like Shingeki no Kyojin, One Piece, or Kaguya-sama. But I guess that's where you'd want to either reread or limit the number of titles you're following.
May 28, 2020 10:45 AM
Aug 2019
I have currently 38 but many are ongoing on MangaPlus or are ongoing localizations. I dont think there is really an limit to it as long as it works for you. For some its easierto finish one and pick the next. and others cant concentrate very long on one series and need constant changes in their reading flow or decide on an day to day bases what they want to read. That really is just a decission on whats more suiting to your reading style
May 28, 2020 10:48 AM

Jan 2020
I keep my Reading list less than 15.
I try not to overstep that.
May 28, 2020 10:52 AM
Jan 2013
two hundred and fifty eight
gone bai bai
May 28, 2020 12:53 PM

May 2009
There are so many publishing manga that it's impossible to keep that low...

I got 43 in my reading list and a lot more in my on-hold and I know it's already too many. There are a lot I'd need to read from the beginning if I want to pick them up again. I try to just read finished manga now.

But hey, if you can keep up with multiple manga at the same time and you prefer to read publishing ones then go for it.
May 28, 2020 10:19 PM

Feb 2018
I have like 221 ongoing manga now

Fuck man
I keep on picking up series that are just starting on the first chapter
May 29, 2020 4:57 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
My currently reading is a mess. I just always assume they're not finished publishing yet so I don't even bother glancing at it and just keep on picking up new, also not finished publishing stuff to add to the growing list. A shame on me.
Acceptable would be something manageable. Something like... not 98 as it is for me now.;;

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
May 30, 2020 6:05 PM

Dec 2017
As many as you want. I always start new manga/manhwa/manhua/Webtoon whenever I can, and don't lose track of the ones I already started. There are mangas that each chapter takes too long to be released, so I just start new ones all the time while waiting for new releases. Or I get tired of reading the same thing in a day and just decide to read something else. I guess it depends on how well you can manage with at a time.
Jun 1, 2020 3:06 AM

Sep 2015
I can accept anything. The better question is, how much can one follow properly or is it really worth keeping on your 'currently reading' list something where you see a 20-25 pages long chapter every 1 or 2 months?

I for one read still publishing manga to the end of the last completed story arc then I put it on hold until the next one ends. Keeping something on my reading list I'm not actively reading is pointless and inconvenient. That's what the on-hold list is for.
Jun 1, 2020 3:44 AM

Oct 2019
I generally dont have a cork to keep a stop on the ones in my reading list..I generally have a lot of ongoing ones and a couple of completed ones in my reading list..

Though I keep adding new ones once i am caught up with the manga that is publishing..

"Not everyone who works hard is rewarded.
But, all those who succeed have worked hard"
Jun 1, 2020 6:32 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
There's no such thing as limit to me with many manga title still publishing and still have a long way until finished.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jun 1, 2020 8:01 AM

Aug 2016
when it comes to manga that´s being published, not more than 25. List can be a longer if you include beeweekly and monthly manga, or if the scanlation is irregular. If we are talking about completely scanlated manga, I don´t recommend more than 2. I once tried 4 and felt like a chaos.

These recommendations are, of course, referential and there could be exceptions since it depends on what are you reading.
MichaelJacksonJun 1, 2020 8:04 AM
:v
Jun 1, 2020 9:41 AM

Jul 2011
I have 99 manga on my reading list. Why shouldn't that be acceptable? I don't read them all but I don't want the number to increase on my on-hold list which is already high enough,

Jun 2, 2020 10:43 AM

Jun 2010
I have never thought of the idea if such a thing as "number of manga in reading list" is acceptable or not. When I feel like reading a particular manga, I just read and add to my list. Why should there be a restriction?

If you didn't mention this, I don't even remember how many I have in my list. Since your thread caught my attention, I checked and found that I have 68 on my list.
Jun 3, 2020 12:52 PM
Feb 2019
ProGoddess said:
I have never thought of the idea if such a thing as "number of manga in reading list" is acceptable or not. When I feel like reading a particular manga, I just read and add to my list. Why should there be a restriction?

If you didn't mention this, I don't even remember how many I have in my list. Since your thread caught my attention, I checked and found that I have 68 on my list.

I mainly just didn't know how many people have on their reading list in average. Honestly though, I have no idea why I even made this post in the end, maybe I felt I wouldn't be able to keep up with them and somehow thought that asking the current average would help for whatever reason, but I'm doing just fine with keeping up. I only really read those anyway that somehow took my interest in a way that I won't forget them.
Jun 3, 2020 2:38 PM

Aug 2017
White_Hollow said:
One chapter wouldn't take too much time to read. Only 30 minutes at most. So if there is only like... one ongoing manga that i read i'd be bored to death. So if i have to say, there's no limit. Even 50 ongoing mangas wouldn't be too much for me. The problem is... i haven't found that many.
I don't think it should take more than 10-15 minutes to read one chapter unless it's insanely long. I can usually finish a volume consisting of multiple chapters in half an hour - 45 minutes.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jun 3, 2020 7:44 PM

Jun 2010
HunLepto said:
ProGoddess said:

I mainly just didn't know how many people have on their reading list in average. Honestly though, I have no idea why I even made this post in the end, maybe I felt I wouldn't be able to keep up with them and somehow thought that asking the current average would help for whatever reason, but I'm doing just fine with keeping up. I only really read those anyway that somehow took my interest in a way that I won't forget them.

Ahhh... curiosity huh.. :) Actually you can make a poll with a listing like 0-20, 21-40, 41-60, etc to get a range of percentage and/or number of members' reading list which will show you the number of listing in a glance. Likewise if you are into anime, the same kind of poll can be done in the similar fashion.

Well, it is a suggestion you may like to adopt for the fun of it. Perhaps there are also curious people out there who are keen to know as much as you. Those who are interested will respond either clicking the poll or post or both.

On another note, I thought this thread was fine. I wondered why there was a need for you to "keep up" as you mentioned. Perhaps you are monitoring yourself of the number of manga (and volumes/chapters) to catch up with when your current reading list gets longer?

I have a long list and is constantly changing. I just read at my own pace as and when I feel like. As I mentioned before, I didn't take notice of the numbers till I saw your thread. lol So, take it easy. :)
Jun 5, 2020 7:39 AM

Oct 2019
I used to have lots of manga in my reading list (at around 50) but recently I've lowered it at around 20. I switched because I found keeping up with ongoing chapters quite a hassle as I usually forget what happened previously in the plot. Now I only read manga I take interest in and others I just put on-hold.
Jun 5, 2020 11:35 PM

Aug 2018
5 not including stuff that is publishing but if you are including publishing stuff anywhere from 5-15
_______I like rocks__
Jun 6, 2020 9:45 AM

Jun 2019
I had around 60 before I recently got burnt out and now I only have two completed manga in my reading list.

I don’t think there should be a limit as to how much is acceptable. The more stories the better after all if you’re not burnt out ;)

Jun 6, 2020 11:59 PM
Jul 2018
however many you can read i suppose. i tend to switch between them and read the new chapter every other week for different ones.

i have a problem of starting manga and then never picking at it again and then it all just piles up and then i feel anxious about it. so j start it up again and the list forever grows...
Jun 7, 2020 2:38 PM

Sep 2009
I hate reading ongoing series and then having to wait weeks/months between the next chapters once I catch up. It's really hard for me to sustain the interest when that happens. And yet I keep getting hooked by ongoing series...
Jun 13, 2020 6:37 PM

Sep 2017
I don't think I have any limit

Unlike anime, manga are often published for a really long time so in the end you can't just finish them quickly
I'm currently reading 33 different manga/manwha and it doesn't bother me at all since the chapters come out really slowly

I have a friend who's reading 90+ manga at once though, congrats to him
Apr 8, 2022 1:23 PM
Mar 2021
I have like 30+
But plan to read 100
Eventually The ongoing one will increase
Apr 8, 2022 2:15 PM

May 2021
Imo it doesn't really matter as long as you do read them once a while.
I want enough freedom in what to read so it always has been the one with the most entries.

92/216 in my reading list are still ongoing (lmao I actually counted them and then it hit me that I could simply CTRL + F and "publishing" to quickly see)

Pls don't write animeS or mangaS >.< // + <50 man(g/hw/hu)a not in MAL. // Join my >manga club< here!

Apr 8, 2022 4:11 PM

May 2021
I have no limit really as long as its weekly. If its too much, I can catch up later.

Apr 9, 2022 3:26 AM

Jan 2021
Around 500 or more of my reading list (with around 1000 entries at least on MAL) are still ongoing. So yeah there is no limit.
FZREMAKEApr 9, 2022 8:57 AM
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Apr 9, 2022 5:16 AM

Sep 2020
Why think about limits? It gets problematic when you want to keep up with everything immediately. I have currently 20+ ongoing manga in the list and would add more if I want. I leave many of them unread for months and catch up again once in a while.
Apr 9, 2022 6:38 AM

Jul 2021
I only try to read manga that are already completed. I hate waiting weekly for chapters. I prefer to binge. Having a short attention span doesn’t help me either. So, for me I would say 2, maybe 3 max

Apr 10, 2022 11:08 AM

Mar 2019
Lots of Manga are ongoing for several years. So these numbers can add up alot faster that with Anime, who mostly run for 3 or 6 month.
So any number is acceptable, really^^
Apr 10, 2022 12:00 PM
Jul 2018
Any number. I have lots of Manga/Manhwa but I do wait for them to complete now.
Apr 11, 2022 1:41 AM

Jul 2021
I don't think there is a limit, I've got 280 ongoing manga/manhua/manhwa on my reading list on A-P. I don't see the point in waiting or limiting yourself to only completed manga.
Apr 12, 2022 6:56 AM

Sep 2020
Infinite, as long as it is worth reading / waiting for itll stay in the current reading section. I only put things on hold if its in an indefinite hiatus.

More topics from this board

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

14 by Eziprez »»
8 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

380 by Kkulpanda »»
9 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
Yesterday, 6:55 PM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 3:20 PM

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Yesterday, 1:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.