Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
In/Spectre
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 9, 2020 11:07 AM

Jun 2013
This series makes me excited more and more. Like Kuro and Saki =))
Feb 9, 2020 12:55 PM

Jul 2014
Two wildly different but equally interesting halves to this week's episode. Kuro's backstory of how he got his powers was pretty messed up, though I'm a little surprised that he was tricked into it essentially: from the way the yokai reacted to his presence in earlier episodes, it seemed like he had willingly gone out of his way to kill and consume the yokai he did.

As for the other half of the episode, using the Internet as a catalyst for the development of a malevolent spirit is a really clever way to bring such fantastical, monstrous beings into the modern age; it makes the connection between the past and present feel entirely seamless, which is a pretty impressive accomplishment.
Feb 9, 2020 1:09 PM
May 2013
I’m just gonna say it. Kotoko’s obsession with Kuro is really creepy. I seem to be in the minority with this opinion but jfc I cannot stomach their “relationship”. I love everything else about this anime but the way it tries to portray all that stalking, harassment and possessiveness as “cute” is pretty gross.
Feb 9, 2020 2:12 PM

Mar 2017
Damn, the beginning of this episode was really dark. I really didn't expect Kuro's background to be that awful and bleak.

I find it sad that Kotoko seems really care for Kuro but he doesn't seem to reciprocate it all. I hope they become closer because she completely accepts him and understands him on a level like no other person in the world could.

I love the idea that the human imagination gives power to these entities and creates the things we're most scared of, especially since I believe that to be quite true.
Feb 9, 2020 2:43 PM
Mar 2019
kingaron3 said:
J891319 said:
had no idea Kuro-san was so old. would be interesting to see what he got up to before now in the present day.

More then a few people seem to be confused about this so this to be explained. Kuro is not that all, he's 24, his ancestor is the one that started the experiment and it was just continuously passed the generations until we get to Kuro and his grandma. Kuro was 11 I think when he ate the meat so it has only bee 12 years since he ate the meat. I guess people saw the more traditional cloths his family wore and thought he was alive before WWII or something.

White_Hollow said:
Kurou could have been more badass in the fight if he learned a martial art or something. But, i guess i was asking for too much.

Anyway, i guess the pieces have started to come together and this case is going to be over soon. I hope we get to see nanase's face or smth. It's poor of her to not have a face :(

We've already seen Nanase's face in fact she got a whole opening in the anime, she was the busty idol that they were talking about. We will see it a lot next episode.

well that just doesn't make sense.
how is it "immortality" if his ancestors have died before him to pass it down. or are they all still alive somewhere. What's your source?
Also, he's referred to as "Kuro" in the flashback and looks exactly like him.
J891319Feb 9, 2020 4:09 PM
Feb 9, 2020 4:18 PM

Jan 2016
J891319 said:
how is it "immortality" if his ancestors have died before him to pass it down. or are they all still alive somewhere. What's your source?

I'm sorry, but what? They never said that his immortality was passed down to him by his ancestors, but it was by luckily surviving the two meat he ate. I don't understand how you got into that conclusion? Also not sure if it was said in the anime, but in the manga, if you eat mermaid meat, you're supposed to stay in the form of whatever age you ate it, so Kuro was supposed to stay as an 11-year old boy. But since he ate the other meat, it cancelled out, so he continued aging. With that, with how old his appearance now, he can't be really old at all, just around a young adult.

J891319 said:

That's because it is him?
jd2001zFeb 9, 2020 4:21 PM
Feb 9, 2020 4:37 PM
Mar 2019
jd2001z said:
J891319 said:

I'm sorry, but what? They never said that his immortality was passed down to him by his ancestors, but it was by luckily surviving the two meat he ate. I don't understand how you got into that conclusion? Also not sure if it was said in the anime, but in the manga, if you eat mermaid meat, you're supposed to stay in the form of whatever age you ate it, so Kuro was supposed to stay as an 11-year old boy. But since he ate the other meat, it cancelled out, so he continued aging. With that, with how old his appearance now, he can't be really old at all, just around a young adult.

J891319 said:

That's because it is him?

yeah, exactly, I agree with you. look at the post I'm replying to. he says it wasn't him.
Feb 9, 2020 4:40 PM

Jan 2016
J891319 said:
yeah, exactly, I agree with you. look at the post I'm replying to. he says it wasn't him.

Ohhh. I think he was talking about how his ancestor "passed down" the experiments, not the immortality. It didn't really succeed until Kuro, after all.
Feb 9, 2020 4:42 PM
Mar 2019
jd2001z said:
J891319 said:

Ohhh. I think he was talking about how his ancestor "passed down" the experiments, not the immortality. It didn't really succeed until Kuro, after all.

yeah that's what I thought. guess this is just a misunderstanding. so is Kuro only in his 20s or is he older? not so clear on that.
Feb 9, 2020 4:50 PM

Jan 2016
J891319 said:
yeah that's what I thought. guess this is just a misunderstanding. so is Kuro only in his 20s or is he older? not so clear on that.

Like @kingaron3 said, he's 24. Kotoko first met Kuro when he was 20, then they finally actually talked two years later. After that, they got into a "relationship", which went on for 2 years, so now he's 24 years old.
Feb 9, 2020 4:56 PM
Mar 2019
jd2001z said:
J891319 said:

Like @kingaron3 said, he's 24. Kotoko first met Kuro when he was 20, then they finally actually talked two years later. After that, they got into a "relationship", which went on for 2 years, so now he's 24 years old.

okay, that makes sense. I guess I was thrown off by his traditional household in the flashback and the black and white style. made me think it was longer ago.
Feb 9, 2020 4:57 PM
Aug 2014
J891319 said:
kingaron3 said:

More then a few people seem to be confused about this so this to be explained. Kuro is not that all, he's 24, his ancestor is the one that started the experiment and it was just continuously passed the generations until we get to Kuro and his grandma. Kuro was 11 I think when he ate the meat so it has only bee 12 years since he ate the meat. I guess people saw the more traditional cloths his family wore and thought he was alive before WWII or something.

We've already seen Nanase's face in fact she got a whole opening in the anime, she was the busty idol that they were talking about. We will see it a lot next episode.

The ancestor is the old man, not the kid who put the stick through his hand. That kid is Kuro who was 11( I think) at the time.

It makes sense because the person who stared the experiments was his ancestor, this ancestor did not become immortal. How it went down is that his ancestor wanted the predict the future so he could gain money and power. So he decided to get Kudan meat in order to feed it to his servants because the Kudan is able to predict the future and then die. After feeding the meet to his servants he got varying levels of failure from the experiment. Some people would die the instants they ate the meat, others would get sick and then die, and finally, some would predict the future and then die. The problem was that once people would predict the future they would die and couldn't predict any more futures. So the ancestor got frustrated and came up with the idea of combining the powers of Kudan and Mermaid meat because legend has it that if you eat the meat of a mermaid you will gain immortality. Once he started making people eat both types of meat the mortality rate dropped drastically. The ancestor who performed these experiments died, presumably of old age. Then the experiment was passed down the generations until we get to Kuro's grandma, who feeds him and his other young relatives both the Kudan and mermaid meat. As far as the anime has shown you there was only one survivor and this was Kuro who was 11, I think. Kuro is not over 50 years old he is only 24, his family just wore very traditional clothes.

My evidence was this episode and chapter 4 of the manga. I have read the manga I know this stuff.
Feb 9, 2020 4:59 PM
Mar 2019
kingaron3 said:
J891319 said:

The ancestor is the old man, not the kid who put the stick through his hand. That kid is Kuro who was 11( I think) at the time.

It makes sense because the person who stared the experiments was his ancestor, this ancestor did not become immortal. How it went down is that his ancestor wanted the predict the future so he could gain money and power. So he decided to get Kudan meat in order to feed it to his servants because the Kudan is able to predict the future and then die. After feeding the meet to his servants he got varying levels of failure from the experiment. Some people would die the instants they ate the meat, others would get sick and then die, and finally, some would predict the future and then die. The problem was that once people would predict the future they would die and couldn't predict any more futures. So the ancestor got frustrated and came up with the idea of combining the powers of Kudan and Mermaid meat because legend has it that if you eat the meat of a mermaid you will gain immortality. Once he started making people eat both types of meat the mortality rate dropped drastically. The ancestor who performed these experiments died, presumably of old age. Then the experiment was passed down the generations until we get to Kuro's grandma, who feeds him and his other young relatives both the Kudan and mermaid meat. As far as the anime has shown you there was only one survivor and this was Kuro who was 11, I think. Kuro is not over 50 years old he is only 24, his family just wore very traditional clothes.

My evidence was this episode and chapter 4 of the manga. I have read the manga I know this stuff.

yeah that makes sense. I thought you were saying that Kuro in the flashback wasn't him. I see you meant the old man.
Feb 9, 2020 6:12 PM
Jun 2019
Anybody make a connection to the show Supernatural and the episode with the ghostfacers and the tulpa? If you have it actually makes a decent line up of how they might kill the steel lady. In there they made the rumor contain a way to get rid of her "though it didn't quite work due to the ghostfacers being idiots". No idea if that's what their going to do here but it lines up quite well.
Feb 10, 2020 2:13 AM

Jun 2012
Kuro's background was a tragic. Although I already understood that most immortal character always have a few screw loose, but this time, it's not really his fault he became a defect human being.
Feb 10, 2020 5:53 AM

Jul 2016
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
So is that girl from the flashback , Saki?????

Nope, that's his older cousin aka

JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Next ep will be solving Nanase's murder....

Nope, the next episode will mostly just about talking.
Feb 10, 2020 7:12 AM

Feb 2014
The internet, the solution to the many problems in life, but also the cause of many problems to begin with...

Either way, this episode was very good. The fight between Kuro and Nanase was bloody, but it also showed just how brutal Kuro can be with the way he fights. However, this fight was a stalemate, of Kotoko did the right thing to call out to Kuro, which ended the fight for now.

This scene also finally confirmed that Kotoko and Kuro ARE dating. Despite that, Kuro doesn't look too pleased at all, but Kotoko's jealousy makes her look so damn cute! X3

The backstory of Kuro and how he acquired his powers was pretty sad, though. His ancestors were so hell bent on making their dreams come true that so many lives around them were sacrificed so often. =(

Either way, this plan of taking down Nanase is the best one they have, but it won't be easy. The dialogue for this episode has been informative, but also amusing, so I hope that continues into the next episode, too. It's one of the charms that I like about this series. =D
Feb 10, 2020 2:40 PM
May 2015
Aside from episode 2, this show has been REALLY GOOD...holy moly! It's a breath of fresh air to not have high school students as main characters. Kuro, so far is such a cool MC to watch and that's because I'm tired of watching beta male MCs

I'm also enjoying the banter going on between Saki and Kotoko and Kuro and Kotoko. Also, a female MC who doesn't have a hard time expressing her feelings? Wah? What travesty is this?

Rating for this episode: 5/5
Original Overall Rating before this episode: 8/10
New Overall Rating after this episode: 8.6/10

Feb 10, 2020 2:53 PM

Jul 2014
This boi has still not moved on from Saki hasn't he? the sexual tension those 2 were emitting especially when Saki just gave him a can of coffee. Kotoko's interesting with her witty interactions with characters like Saki and Kuro but damn... I just cant see her and Kuro getting it on unlike Saki X Kuro.
That aside that was a pretty savage like fight but the animation wasnt any good at all. For a moment I thought Steel Lady Nanase was just a figment of imagination, turns out it really was like that in a way, caused by the internet people who spread rumors got her to exist at a faster rate due to already having an image portrayed on her existance. Pretty exciting shit, can't wait how this all wraps up. I kinda feel bad for Kuro, dude looks like he's being forced to get into a relationship with Kotoko, I don't know if that's just his way of poking fun at her but if what he says has no deeper meaning than damn.. I can't really blame Saki for this, Kuro ain't normal and not a lot of people can come into terms with someone whom you were planning to make a family with turns out he can regenerate parts of his body and show no signs of pain or anything, thats pretty scary. I did like how she's able to casually joke about the Kappa yokai thing with Kuro tho. Girl is probably slowly getting used to yokai's.
-StrayFeb 10, 2020 2:57 PM
Feb 10, 2020 8:19 PM

Oct 2008
it's so fun seeing Iwanaga getting worked-up because the two met! exbf/exgf! lolz!
4/5.

Feb 10, 2020 8:55 PM

Sep 2018
How Kuru's ancestors get kudan and mermaid flesh??!

Ex vs current gf. AWKWARD.
Feb 11, 2020 2:01 AM

Oct 2017
Damn the story of steel lady Nanase got way more interesting after this episode. Also lol Kotoko was smug as usual.
Feb 11, 2020 10:01 PM

Jul 2016
Well, guess fighting sequences aren't this series' forte. If that wacky choreography can even be considered as a fight, that is...

That aside, it was another quite interesting episode. Kurou's past was finally revealed and damn, it was quite fucked up.
We also learnt more about Nanase's spirit and her origin. So as expected, her powers come from that site dedicated to her as well as from the rumors that run from mouth to mouth in the city. Honestly, I found this way of creating spirits quite clever and intriguing so now, I'm even more interested in knowing how Kotoko and co. will use this same method to counter her.

And on a side note, I honestly was expecting something more from the trio in terms of interactions but they jumped straight to the detective stuff. Maybe next episode.
Feb 12, 2020 2:22 AM

Jul 2012
This is quite interesting, especially Kuro's backstory!

SouthRzVa said:
Well, guess fighting sequences aren't this series' forte. If that wacky choreography can even be considered as a fight, that is...
Maybe that's why I enjoy this anime so much. I hate fight scenes and action so lol, I ended up enjoying this a lot more than I expected!
Feb 12, 2020 5:05 PM
Aug 2014
SouthRzVa said:

That aside, it was another quite interesting episode. Kurou's past was finally revealed and damn, it was quite fucked up.
We also learnt more about Nanase's spirit and her origin. So as expected, her powers come from that site dedicated to her as well as from the rumors that run from mouth to mouth in the city. Honestly, I found this way of creating spirits quite clever and intriguing so now, I'm even more interested in knowing how Kotoko and co. will use this same method to counter her.

And on a side note, I honestly was expecting something more from the trio in terms of interactions but they jumped straight to the detective stuff. Maybe next episode.

I really wouldn't call it a spirit since it's not a ghost.
Feb 12, 2020 6:12 PM

Jul 2016
kingaron3 said:
SouthRzVa said:

I really wouldn't call it a spirit since it's not a ghost.

Ghost, spirit, spectre, entity, monster, projection, youkai, ayakashi, etc. I wasn't really thinking in an specific label.
Feb 13, 2020 2:30 AM

May 2019
Kurou's backstory was sick, I loved it.

Things are getting interesting

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Feb 13, 2020 12:29 PM

May 2018
I really enjoyed this episode, its probably my favourite of the series so far. Each episode gets better, I hope this keeps up but this anime could be really fucking great.

Is it also just me who really wants Kuro and Saki to get back together? I doubt it would happen but if it did at the ending or something this series would be so much of a better ride
Feb 14, 2020 6:07 AM

Aug 2017
Wow, Kuro's background is creepy. So, the internet is the main villain of this arc!!!
NurguburuFeb 14, 2020 6:24 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 15, 2020 7:23 AM
Jul 2016
Seijatachiiii said:
Is it also just me who really wants Kuro and Saki to get back together? I doubt it would happen but if it did at the ending or something this series would be so much of a better ride

You are not alone. Unfortunately it won't happen.
Feb 16, 2020 1:29 PM

Jul 2008
The internet is a dangerous place...and damn I didn't think Kurou would actually be that old. I thought he was a kid in modern times and became what he is. Boy he has quite the fucked up family.
Feb 17, 2020 8:33 AM

Jul 2016
Meigetsu said:
Saki is best girl for me, I wish her and Kuro never broked up

Totally agree. I hope they'll be together sometime.
Feb 17, 2020 3:50 PM

May 2016
ok so steel lady nanase is just a creepypasta come to life
“May those who accept their fate be granted Happiness, may those who defy their fate be granted Glory.”
Feb 20, 2020 9:03 AM

Nov 2019
Pretty dope 5/5 episode
I heard Kuro admit that Kotoko is his current gf sadly so? :)))
I hope they make it Kotoko deserves the world
Learning about Kuro's backstory was interesting it gives me Kaneki vibes but how does Kotoko know? I hope we find out in the next episode
Feb 20, 2020 6:45 PM

Oct 2018
sad part is kuro's destruction power only works on monster
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Feb 21, 2020 2:35 PM

May 2009
miyo__ said:
Meigetsu said:
Saki is best girl for me, I wish her and Kuro never broked up

Totally agree. I hope they'll be together sometime.

They won't. She doesn't appear after this arc.
Feb 21, 2020 3:15 PM

Feb 2020
An entity, spawned from an idea and given power through the collective human imagination, which is reached though mass dissemination via the internet. This episode just explained egregores and meme magic in one go.
Feb 21, 2020 4:36 PM

Feb 2018
Another good episode.
Feb 24, 2020 5:42 PM
Mar 2017
The reunion that Kotoko did not want to happen finally happened, but fortunately for her it was not the one that would have been expected, no doubt Saki instead of being happy to see Kuro again, I think she was more traumatized.

Well, the fight that Kuro had with the steel lady Nanase was pretty decent, especially when she destroys Kuro's head, the sound of how the head burst gave such a real effect in addition to when the regeneration process of Kuro begins and we see how the flesh, bones and blood are reorganized to take the form of his face again, the good thing about this fight was that Kotoko's theory was true, the lady of steel is not a yokai or ghost, since She doesn't fear Kuro.

I can realize that Kuro's family was the worst, experimenting with their descendants until the perfect hybrid finally appeared was terrifying, but the worst was all the "experiments" that his grandmother did with him, I was sad to see how the little kuro stabbed himself with a branch through his hand without any hint of pain.

You don't know how much I laughed when Kuro tells Saki that it's true that Kotoko is his girlfriend, the defeated voice and that posture of being totally submitted to Kotoko left me laughing for a while, but the worst thing is that the situation got more fun when the three went to the department of Saki, what a most uncomfortable and sad situation, especially for poor Kotoko who had to see her boyfriend looking at the attractive body of his ex-girlfriend.

The true identity of the lady of steel turned out to be an imaginary monster that was born from the internet from the horrific death that Karin Nanase suffered, but the best was the explanation that Kotoko gave Saki about what these imaginary monsters are, but it seems that the steel lady Nanase is different from other imaginary monsters, since the source from which the appearance of the steel lady Nanase came from was from the wiki of herself that someone created.

Now we just have to wait for Kotoko to find a way to get rid of this imaginary being.
Feb 25, 2020 2:05 AM

Jul 2009
Kuro family is crazy, no wonder he is emotionless now.
Feb 25, 2020 4:00 AM
Jul 2018
he is very calm too
Feb 25, 2020 6:36 AM

Jul 2009
Kuro's backstory is pretty effed up. I wonder if we'll be seeing more of her sister, though. She seems like a potentially important character.

The fight scene is super meh, though it's clear from the beginning that this show isn't action-oriented. Still, it's rather funny seeing Kuro taking a beating with how slow Nanase is.

I have a hunch that beating Nanake involves tampering the information in her wiki.
Feb 27, 2020 4:52 PM

Nov 2016
Definitely gave off Mermaid forest vibes, dunno why this didn't come to mind earlier. Backstory was pretty compelling and Kotoko expressions are high tier xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 18, 2020 10:40 PM

Feb 2015
I have to accept that I don’t love the artstyle, but the story is interesting. Well, so, Kurou is now here, fighting with Nanase, who he couldn’t defeat. The theory of Nanase coming from the painting wasn’t that bad, basically she’s from the conception of the specter portrayed by a bunch of people.
Apr 8, 2020 8:15 PM

Apr 2016
Man those experiments were messed up, sacrificing hundreds all for the sake of a twisted ambition.

What a morbid display. Ears were ripped off and Kuro lost his head; big wow. On a side note, Kotoko's possessiveness is so cute.
Apr 11, 2020 1:08 PM

Jul 2017
Kroko23 said:
Anybody make a connection to the show Supernatural and the episode with the ghostfacers and the tulpa? If you have it actually makes a decent line up of how they might kill the steel lady. In there they made the rumor contain a way to get rid of her "though it didn't quite work due to the ghostfacers being idiots". No idea if that's what their going to do here but it lines up quite well.

Came looking for someone mentioning supernatural. That is exactly what this episode reminded me of haha
Apr 14, 2020 7:46 PM
Dec 2014
Is it weird that I actually like Kotoko more than Saki? Maybe not looks wise but Kotoko seems so much kinder than Saki and she can understand him way better even if she is a bit childish. Sure Kotoko is pushy but for some reason I don't dislike it? And if Kurou is going out with Kotoko by this point he should be nicer to her :(
May 4, 2020 9:38 AM

Jul 2015
Kuro got one fucked up family there, kind of sad that he involuntarily became inhuman

To think sites like wikipedia had such powers

May 10, 2020 2:00 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
So, i get kurou past here, and ofc the stories comes by Kotoko narrations with no explanations how... What a shit family you had there, lol, being too obsessed with something really bad for your soul. Now i know what is the moral lesson on this show. Surprising to me they both tell they are together, even Saki dont believe that fact, so am i. Kotoko, her actions, behaviour, and power really weird and full of mystery. And her linking to the soul worlds and its fill, really dont make me an easy going to understand.

Then, to the topic of the arc, idk but the storyline was just too bored. For the sake of the back story and character development, they decide to make the arc got too long to even get a nice conclusion. Not a good idea for the pacing issued, tbh... sighed.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 11, 2020 8:48 PM

Feb 2009
I'm not entirely sure why Kuro is NOT falling to Kotoko already, compared to Saki with a weak stomach, lack of empathy for his true self, and being unable to express how she feels clearly to avoid misunderstandings, why isn't Kotoko who is the completely opposite of all these things not appealing to him? Usually the MC falls in love with the one who understands him most, not the one who ran away from him in the middle of a crisis...

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

155 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 29, 2020

70 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2020

66 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2020

88 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2020

106 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 5:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.