Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 5 Discussion

Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 5, 2020 5:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That new girl has some attitude but all three getting thrown into some dungeon is more troubling.

I don't think they have much of a choice but to team up together to get out of that mess. A lot of funny moments as usual thanks to Maple and her goofy personality. Ha, they made this episode seem troubling at first but still lighthearted and humorous as usual.
Feb 5, 2020 6:06 AM

Apr 2010
Another funny episode especially the part where the girls became chained to Kasumi who also became one of the new friends.
The way the defeated the octopus was also funny.
And Sally showing of her pvp skills which did't leave her opponents much change to hit her.
Feb 5, 2020 6:24 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Now she can fly with her giant turtle in the sky xD it was worth the 20 medals
Feb 5, 2020 6:32 AM
Dec 2017
It's time for everyone else to transfer from this server.
Feb 5, 2020 6:37 AM

Aug 2013
Now everyone is talking about Sally.

An interesting way to use the hydra skill to kill that octopus, that was funny.

And the turtle is huge.

Feb 5, 2020 7:02 AM

Jun 2012
I'm a bit disappointed that the duel never happen but overall this episode was hella fun.

That Octupus HP drained out like from a pokemon battle.
The game devs completely unable to accept reality, lol
And that flying fortress at the end.....Wtf. I never imagined the squirtle will become a flying blastoise.
Feb 5, 2020 7:06 AM

Feb 2011
This episode was hilarious! I love to watch their growth as well. Sally is slowly growing on me. Would've loved to see maple PVP.

5/5

Feb 5, 2020 7:08 AM

Aug 2015
This episode was trash. They skipped a shit load of them planning, maple being lauched like a tennis ball, them getting swarmed and them taking ages to beat the boss. In the light novel it took an hour to get it down to 10% using max amount of hydras. Then at second phase the start getting swarmed and sally having to constantly dodge for hours. The fight with kasumi in Ln was great. They stayed in the dungeon at lot longer due to it being a massive maze. Im disappointed. Everything else was okay also skipped a lot of funny things like maple using hydra on the syrup to clear a path and accidently locking a group in a cave and killing a group that was in the path of hydra.
Feb 5, 2020 7:18 AM
Sep 2015
Feel like Sally is on the rush to fight because she want to be on an equal level with

And this episode almost has no male character.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
DeadlyRavenFeb 6, 2020 10:40 PM
Feb 5, 2020 7:31 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Gamera: the super kawaii anime version
Feb 5, 2020 7:58 AM

Oct 2017
Another boss fight and Maple soloed it lol. Thou gotta admit that was a brutal way to beat that boss. Sally was bad ass in the last part, looks like she's gonna get famous real soon. That new girl Kasumi is nice, I kinda like her already. Also F for the admins or whatever those things are.
Feb 5, 2020 8:35 AM

Dec 2015
I liked how the turtle was able to fly at the end and the look of Sally and Kasumi's faces when she killed those poor unexpected enemies with acid rain. I was hoping the dungeon where they got chained lasted long and I was hoping to see Sally and Kasumi have a duel for a little bit then eventually for interrupted by either a group of desert enemies or a giant one. I thought the flying fortress bit at the end was funny, but I was sad they didn't give Sally a nickname yet.

I want to know if Sally and Maple will eventually make a guild or something. Probably in the future.

phantomfandom said:
Feel like Sally is on the rush to fight because she want to be on an equal level with [spoiler]her brother? the no.1 player.[/spoiler[

And this episode almost has no male character.

Is that from the manga or did I not see the hints throughout the episodes?

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
DeadlyRavenFeb 6, 2020 10:41 PM
Feb 5, 2020 8:36 AM

Nov 2014
Those comments at the end of episode killed me. But that also summed up my reaction pretty nicely. Maple never disappoints, and her being so liberal with poison makes it ever funnier.
Feb 5, 2020 8:46 AM

Feb 2008

So Maple became a flying, acid-raining fortress. Developers have stopped caring altogether. As if poisoning the ocean with her Hydra were not enough...

Sally was not half-bad either. On the contrary, she was quite amazing. I wonder what kind of a nickname will other players bestow on Sally.

Mod edit: Please refrain from adding more than one screenshot in your post.
DeadlyRavenFeb 6, 2020 10:42 PM
Feb 5, 2020 8:55 AM

Nov 2016
Just realized that Maple's hydra = Magellan.

And lol, she's getting more and more horrifying.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 5, 2020 9:18 AM

Mar 2019
at this point I don't even know what's broken is it the game or is it Maple,

Just Wait for NWOII tbh, I don't think games patches can fix this anymore!
Feb 5, 2020 9:36 AM

Apr 2011
Lmao! Fun and hilarious episode.

It was funny how Maple killed the octopus boss. And even funnier that she used the medals to make the turtle fly and use acid from above. Talk about raining terror. lmao

She's becoming even more of a last episode and the devs can't handle her that they're escaping reality. lol

Also props to Sally killing a lot of players making a name for herself. She terrified a lot of players.

I am having so much fun watching this series
Feb 5, 2020 10:02 AM
Dec 2019
Did Maple learnt this skill with "Fortress" 1.5x VIT?

I just read only: Acid Rain, Psychokinese, Metamorph

But Psychokinese is broken skill... think on Pokemon xD
Feb 5, 2020 10:16 AM

Dec 2016
Oh look, they accidentally stumble into yet again a secret level.

* Will they come out totally unharmed? YEP

* Will they get more big items again? Right on that

* Will they beat effortlessly the giant squid? Undoubtedly

Kasumi's intentions to fight Maple & Sally other than it's because PvP was open because of the event feels quite shallow, I don't see the point of her presenting herself as the top 6th player from the previous event if she didn't have a bigger reason other than PVP for possible coin rewards.

Sally beating all those low level players for two measly coins was just plain boring. This is the big problem with broken overpowered characters that don't even have a good purpouse for all that. I didn't finish the first season of SAO, but I never felt bored despite Kirito becoming a monolith to be recognized everywhere in the anime community. In here, their progress it's incredibly dull and almost a chore to watch. And before people come to me with the typical "but hurr durr you don't understand SOLs or CGDCT shows hurr durr" those are two some of the most common type of shows I enjoy, and this despite having avobe average animation, it's just tedious with the same scheme over and over.
Feb 5, 2020 10:33 AM

Oct 2019
Lets turn this beautiful sea into a poisonous sea~

Wow, we need more of Sally assassinating and spreading fear lol

Its a wise choice for another player not to enter the cave, i mean one of them said "what kind of boss is in this cave huh?". I can say its the final boss haha

Maple now has the ability to send acid rain wherever she want XD

Feb 5, 2020 10:48 AM

Aug 2018
Oooh Boy oooh Boy! What A Super-Duper Great Episode & those girls are Just OP for this game my God my Dude & I really laugh so hard when that bunny said she is becoming more than the last boss than the last boss 8 out of 10 for this episode
<Complete>
SaiDxvLightFeb 5, 2020 11:32 AM
Feb 5, 2020 11:25 AM
May 2019
Another fun and light hearted episode, Sally and Maple make quite a team.
Kasumi reminds me on Kanao Tsuyuri from KnY.
Feb 5, 2020 11:37 AM

May 2015
SHE'S TOO CUTE!!! Maple getting dragged around by those two with super speed was hilarious.

Maple has no chill casually turning the ocean into a poisonous ocean XD. She was extra cute this episode. I would be hilarious if the developers asked Maple to be the final boss XD. They said she may as well be.

Seeing Maple cheering for the familiars fighting weak mods was adorable as hell. Makes me really want to get into a game like this that has a shielder class and familiars you can level up. (Sadly it probably doesnt exist and even if it does it wouldnt be anime themed.) Reminds me when I watched Overlord and really wanted a game like that.

Sally was the evil demon this episode lol. Im glad she's OP as well. Also glad that the series is focusing on just Maple and Sally and having other people occasionally join but not for too long. Its nice seeing these two adventure together its adorable AS FUCK!!1

Maple made her wish come true. FLYING FORTRESS!!! LMAO!! Im starting to think she's purposely choosing the acid abilities XD.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 5, 2020 11:42 AM

Jun 2017
Daaamn..Maple is a savage walking disaster lol. (and now flying as well!)
Feb 5, 2020 11:42 AM

Jul 2014
Very fan of the big titty samurai waifu voiced by Hayamin <3

It's great how cute and unintentionally terrifying Maple is. xD

I love this show, it's so much fun!
SkyLETVFeb 5, 2020 11:46 AM
Feb 5, 2020 11:58 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
A contest of speed between a Swordswoman and a ninja huh. Still Sally's ability to read ahead sure us proving most useful. Still the trap that they triggered sure was an interesting one. A life chain that literally demands teamwork then. The creatures within the dungeon though sure made for some interesting walls. Though Maple's luck in finding the medals was good Sally sure had to work hard to avoid traps that she triggered. Maple's use of Hydra sure gave them an easy victory over the squid. Still even without Maple's support Sally herself is a formidable combatant. Maple's arsenal of skills continue to increase it seems with her new skill giving her a potent AOE attack. Overall a rather chill ep that while managing to end the event well also did well in both introducing the character of Kasumi as well as showcase Sally's hidden skills. One character that im curious about though is Kanade as it seems there's more to her than she's showing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2020 12:10 PM

Jul 2008
I need to know the name of the insert song, it was soooo heartwarming.
---
edit: nvm found it, Sasaki Rico - Good Night (and the single it is from is not released yet)
NaruOotoriFeb 5, 2020 12:20 PM
Feb 5, 2020 12:23 PM

Dec 2019
This show is literally the comfort food of anime, its nothing special but the humour and action are just good enough to make it a very fun watch.
Feb 5, 2020 1:07 PM

Oct 2007
nice, Maple and Sally befriended Kasumi. ^^

giant sea monster cannot survive in poisoned water.

Sally totally trashed those people.

good idea to just hide in the cave. Other players thought there is a "boss" hiding there. :D

another enjoyable episode.. looking forward to next week.
Feb 5, 2020 1:58 PM

Jun 2016
Maple is too cute and funny! XD

Mod edit: Please refrain from adding more than one screenshot to your post.
DeadlyRavenFeb 6, 2020 10:43 PM
Feb 5, 2020 2:00 PM

Mar 2013
Hmm... I could an collaboration between SAO good imagine - I'd wonder what Kirito about Sally/Risa think would (an interesting PvP match between them would be epic...xD)... Though, like I Japan so know: I'd not be surprised that sooner or later an collaboration work give would...

Sally, the fast reapper - and Maple, the unbreakable wall. There is no way that this team beatable isl^_^!!!
Feb 5, 2020 2:20 PM

Jun 2016
Poor Sally she can't stand ghosts or undeads or similar creatures... XD

Feb 5, 2020 2:22 PM

Apr 2015
Kasumi is the new girl that got introduced last episode. She seems nice, forced to work together after falling into that sandpit dungeon. Those chains caused some really funny scenes. Their teamwork is pretty good too. They are friends now, how nice!!

So their next boss is a huge octopus! Poison the water... I mean it's very cheap to defeat it like that, but it's so like Maple and that's why I love it XD Even the developers don't give a fuck anymore..

Oh my lord, Sally is scary when she gets into PVP, now we know we have 2 monsters in this game XD She annihilated all those players without a sweat!!

Syrup becomes a Paratroopa... Also Maple is getting all kinds of nicknames now, Flying Fortress. Sally needs one too though!

Eventho a lot happened this episode, it was a blast!
Feb 5, 2020 2:48 PM

Sep 2017
Just realized that the official French translated title for Bofuri is literally a freaking meme, that's hilarious
Feb 5, 2020 2:52 PM
Mar 2017
This episode was full of fun, epic moments and new friendships, Maple is the sweetest shield user.

The samurai girl introduces herself as Kasumi and after a brief fight with Sally they end up falling into a trap thanks to Maple, she can transform a very serious combat into something extremely adorable with her clumsiness.
The girls end up chained and decide to cooperate to get out of the dungeon, then they find themselves in a complicated situation, but the teamwork of Sally and Kasumi manages to save their group and also find the room with the treasure, finally the girls separate, but a new friendship formed between the girls duo and Kasumi.
Then we see that the girls travel through several places in search of more medals, places with different difficulties, poor Sally again had to participate in an event with ghosts.
In the last place they visit, a tropical beach, Maple meets a new friend named Kanade, who looks like someone more intellectual, but still he gave a gift to the girls who would end up leading them to an epic battle with a boss.
Maple gives an interesting use to Hydra, needing more liquid to open the lock Hydra venom is quite useful, Sally's face is hilarious.
Again Sally and Maple face a boss with very difficult skills to overcome, but again Maple's ingenuity left me laughing non-stop, she decides to use Hydra to poison the ocean where the huge squid swam, this led to the squid died due to the toxicity, Sally's face was priceless, a victory is a victory wherever you see her.

The administrators no longer cared about the things Maple did, it seems that the squid was also a boss they put to make the players suffer.
The last part of the episode left me with my mouth open, Sally is a wild killer of players, she got carried away and eliminated every player who crossed her path, but at least they managed to reach the goal of medals they set and then they decide to hide, but to their surprise Kasumi find them and decide to hide together.
The best reward of this second event was to hear Maple say how she enjoyed this event and the final seal, that adorable smile, protect that smile forever.
The final surprise left me laughing for a long time, Maple got Syrup to learn metamorphosis and is now a giant turtle, in addition Maple used the medals to obtain the skill psycokinesis and now Syrup is a giant flying turtle and with the acid rain skill of Maple, She is now a flying fortress of death, the faces of Kasumi and Sally reflect how absurd everything is, but it is forgivable because Maple is too adorable and sweet.
Feb 5, 2020 3:08 PM

Jul 2017
So the new girl (Kasumi) that seemingly creeped onto them, got caught in the surprise fiasco that is a surprise quest in a dungeon, in unbreakable binded chains. Oh how Maple doesn't have anything other than defense...in any fact, seeing the trio with their teamwork is pretty good I'd say.

PvP isn't on either of Maple's mind, so it's easy to make a recourse and find like-minded friends, so as is with the party event goes on to collect more medals.

And another day comes another boss dungeon, this time, underwater with an octopus, AND WELL...killing one with ONLY Hydra seems too easy. And the administrators clearly have too much on their hands to care about Maple anymore with her broken, OP skills in an already broken game, heh xD

Watching Sally face off in PvP is just deadly scary, it's been awhile since she has let loose her own powers. When all is said and done, the ONLY power she needs is from Syrup...to be a "flying fortress". Whew talk about earning so much for a simple skill, not just to compensate for her lack of agility.

Such a packed episode filled with fun.
Feb 5, 2020 3:10 PM

Aug 2018
Rumors claim Maple said "gg ez" after she defeated the octopus boss and double-crouched to taunt him. Also she was playing Pokemon with a pet so that she could turn them into warships, her being the armament lul

In the meanwhile, Sally is reported to have unlocked a precision airstrike, a VTOL jet and a Juggernaut armor after the rampage she came.

Maple will receive nerf again I guess
Feb 5, 2020 4:01 PM

Jun 2015
That turtle at the end! Love this show
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Feb 5, 2020 4:40 PM

Sep 2017
Maple's constant and horrific use of poison is so damn hilarious yet sadistic, I love it
Feb 5, 2020 4:43 PM

Jan 2014
I love how Maple defeats things logically, or just knows the right way to beat a boss. She knew she couldn't swim, and has the bright idea to poison the sea. Brilliant and smart.
Feb 5, 2020 5:08 PM

Oct 2007
Themousen said:
Maple's constant and horrific use of poison is so damn hilarious yet sadistic, I love it

one of the brutally painful ways to die if this was not a game. Thankfully for her enemies, this is a game.

Feb 5, 2020 6:37 PM
Jan 2017
Yet another episode with no sense of urgency or emotional stakes. Maple poisons an entire sea just to kill a boss while Sally kills hundreds of low-level players to just to earn 2 medals. It's like the show doesn't want to put the main characters in any trouble and just keeps handing them victory after victory like there's no tomorrow. I was actually looking forward to the fight with Kasumi because it would mean that, for once, the main characters would have to earn something rather than just getting it but the show just contrived a way to get them to work together. It was a cop-out of the highest order. If the characters just get along and there's no sense of conflict, why am I supposed to care? Stories put their characters in difficult scenarios because that creates emotional investment and gets viewers hooked in, but so far, that hasn't happened in this story. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this show, but so far, it hasn't given me any reason to keep me hooked in. I just don't wanna feel like I'm wasting my time whenever I watch this show.
Feb 5, 2020 7:05 PM
Aug 2018
I was surprised when Sally just left Maple. I thought that was a really bad decision, but ig it turned out well lmao.
But that's just like... my opinion... man
Feb 5, 2020 8:39 PM

Mar 2008
Maple got her a giant flying turtle. Tama from Love Hina, Anyone?
Feb 5, 2020 8:59 PM

May 2012
I honestly never would've expected that I would enjoy this show as much as I am, given what it is lol
Feb 5, 2020 9:14 PM

Sep 2016
Beyond the manga. We are. Yea.

Can't wait for next week and see more overpowered skills :3

I honestly never would've expected that I would enjoy this show as much as I am, given what it is lol

But it's not an isekai, if that was the crappy excuse, lol
bruh
Feb 5, 2020 10:16 PM

Feb 2019
Ok time for additional facts that the anime skipped.

Maple got 2 skills, because she had that gold coin. So she did get Fortress which multiplies her vit by 1.5

Syrup's active skill multiplies it's HP and size at the same time. Essentially making it a tankier but a bigger target.

Psychokinesis is a skill thats supposed to be able to move a monster for a limited amount of time, normally to hold them in place. It has a failure rate that depends on how much the monster resists. Also, it's MP drain increases as the resistance increases. Now... Syrup is her pet, which means no resistance, so no MP cost. She's the only one that can use it like that.

I am extremely surprised with how popular this show has become. I did not expect it to blow up and consistently have so many people discussing it on reddit and MAL. I mean it's a decent VRMMORPG and a cute cast, but nothing really revolutionary or major where I'd expect to see this much discussion on it. But hats off to the studio for doing a good job with it.

One of the funniest things to me is how moe Maple and her friends are yet they are so intimidating to other players like in that shot at the end lol.
Feb 5, 2020 10:47 PM

Feb 2019
God this show sucks, this episode seems to abandon the original premise you'd think it wouldn't be hard to come up with ways to make chaining rivals together into a challenge that builds towards the inevitable "the real magic was the friendship we made along the way," but even that would have been too much conflict. Christ, the first thing that happens after they're chained together is they stumble over a coin and all go "No, no, we're all friends, and you found it, and whoever found it should keep it." I guess we forgot that the episode began with her trying to mug them. And then the chain thing is used for exactly one gag before it just up and vanishes, and the new character is summarily booted from the rest of the episode.

So here we are at the halfway point, having abandoned the original premise of the episode despite being trapped in the middle of what is supposedly a multiple episode arc. So how does the quest continue? Where do they go next? A montage. They skip over the part where they actually do anything to get to playing in the sand with some rando for about three minutes. Then I guess there was a squid nearby which they one-shot, and actually, the gameplay stuff is the fun part, so one of them goes off to rob and murder everybody in a ten mile radius, but not before taunting, mocking, and terrorizing them first. You know, like a good guy would do. Yay girl power and friendship! Who the hell is writing these scripts? I would pay good money to understand what the hell they're thinking. It'd be one thing if they seemed at all aware of what they were doing, but they most certainly do not.

I still don't understand what he did to receive such absurd popularity
Feb 5, 2020 11:09 PM

Oct 2017
Maple the cutest floating disaster.
Feb 6, 2020 1:24 AM

May 2019
Damn, Sally gets a little sadistic when she's in a PK'ing mood

I love that Maple just does whatever's the most fun, but destroys anything in her path with a cute smile lmaoo

*Slowly dissolves desert creatures screaming in pain while flying through the air, laughing on the back of a giant turtle

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2020

95 by Gvendoline »»
Mar 1, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2020

168 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 18, 3:02 PM

» Unacceptable Developer Response to Maple (spoilers through Ep. 3) - I'm cancelling my MMO subscription

Oiisu - Jan 14, 2023

12 by Foreall908 »»
Jan 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Jan 6, 2020

282 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 16, 5:50 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2020

139 by yourboy_asta »»
Dec 30, 2023 11:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.