Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any anime you have put "On Hold" or "Dropped", then resumed and completed? What caused you to pause/drop them in the first place and are you glad you completed them?

New
Dec 29, 2019 7:41 PM

Jun 2019
Just as it says in the title, basically. Whether you have them officially paused under "On Hold" on your personalized list on MAL's database, officially dropped under "Dropped", or if you never bothered even listing them at all (or removed them upon dropping).

What was the cause of the drop? Minor things or major things in the anime? Or personal life matters unrelated to the anime itself? And for those you picked back up, were they worth seeing through to completion? Why?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 29, 2019 7:48 PM
Oct 2018
I put Fate/Zero on hold a while back after attempting to watch it after Unlimited Blade Works and the first Heaven's feel movies. I think I only got through half of the first episode. I watch a lot of season anime, so that contributed to me pausing it along with the fact that I didn't think I would like a prequel on the series since it wouldn't have the characters I had come to love in the same form they were in before (if that makes sense). I picked it back up this week, after getting into FGO and I am so glad I got back to it. After finishing it, it is definitely one of my favorite animes of all time! The storytelling is top notch and I feel like it did a great job of getting me invested in this grail war and characters. Animation and fights are top notch too.
Dec 29, 2019 7:48 PM

May 2013
Yu gi oh arc-v.

After the first season I put it on hold for about 6 months.

Liked the show minus the ending.

β™‘ Harder Daddy β™‘
Dec 29, 2019 7:50 PM
Jul 2018
Sometimes I watch another episode of something I have on hold or that I've dropped but I usually put it right back in onhold or dropped after that episode.
Dec 29, 2019 7:53 PM
May 2018
Most of the one's I've watched. idk why but i always start a show, put it on hold, and then continue watching it. It's tradition for me lmfao
Dec 29, 2019 7:55 PM

Jul 2012
Usually I just use on-hold for stuff I wasn't able to find translated after already starting. So far that has only really applied to specials for a couple series 2 of which I did eventually find translated somewhere.
If I were to say power through two older series I started and get all caught up to date with subs I would consider adding them to the paused section until they finish.
Dec 29, 2019 8:01 PM

Jul 2015
ssss. gridman
am ceased viewings it @ ep 4, bc couldn't understand the appeal
later gave it another chance, and completed it.
was solid 7/10 imo
Dec 29, 2019 8:08 PM

Jan 2018
Well in my case despite how bad or awful I found an anime, I never drop, I finish it and rate it bad. Its different with the "on hold" animes cuz if I put one there, it means I want to watch it but I'm waiting for something to happen, whether it be waiting for the filler to end, or me being "ready" to watch it. For example, I left Rurouni Kenshin "on hold" when I was about to start the Kyoto arc because I feeled like I needed a break, since I was graduating. After a month or so, I carried on from where I left it and was happy with my decision cuz I really enjoyed. I think you know when its the right time to watch something, for me its kind of a feeling, I stare to the poster and something says "ok, its time to finish this".
alelegonDec 29, 2019 10:06 PM
Dec 29, 2019 8:12 PM

Jul 2017
Isn't the purpose of 'On Hold' to.....pick them back up later?

Anywho haven't dropped but put a few series' on hold. Mainly long running ones cause I cba to finish them yet and gonna wait till I run out of regular series'
Dec 29, 2019 9:20 PM

Jun 2019
Short_Circut said:
Isn't the purpose of 'On Hold' to.....pick them back up later?'

Theoretically and ideally, yes, but plans can change. And by "plans", I just mean a person's feelings and interests toward a particular series, the genre or style or franchise it's a part of, or the whole medium. Or perhaps their interest level toward it hasn't fluctuated at all, but their interest level in other series or other things entirely has shot up, causing it to be relegated to either be moved to the "Dropped" list or effectively remain "On Hold" in perpetuity.

Part of the reason for making this thread was a mood inspired by the fact that I just resumed watching one of only two shows I had paused "On Hold" since before I joined MAL in June of this year and actually even logged it, paused in effect since the summer of 2017, and I'm enjoying it greatly - 2 1/2 years later.
WatchTillTandavaDec 29, 2019 9:24 PM
Dec 29, 2019 9:38 PM

Sep 2014
No I dont think so. I used on hold as a graveyard, some day I actually committed and dropped shows.

Oh there is one, I put Monogatari S2 on hold. Solely because I didnt want the story to end so I waited for more seasons. Mfw a show is so good I cant continue watching it because Im afraid of the withdrawal.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 29, 2019 9:41 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Many many years ago I started Toaru Majutsu no Index.
I'm not sure what caused me to put it on hold. Perhaps I couldn't find any episodes at the time, or maybe other things caught my interest.

I'm content I finally got to complete the first season this year, I always wondered how the story would end and now I can finally make an effort to catch up with what's been released since then.
Dec 29, 2019 9:50 PM

Dec 2018
Obviously only the shows on "on hold". It's called "on hold" for a reason. Dropped shows can forever rest in peace.
Dec 29, 2019 9:57 PM
Feb 2017
I haven't picked up and on-hold or dropped shows. The ones on-hold are mostly because I've lost interest at the moment of watching them. I'll probably go back and finish them. The ones I've dropped are either too terrible to be completed or I really do not care to watch the rest of it.
Dec 29, 2019 10:09 PM
Jan 2012
I put Jojo on hold after a few episodes and didn't care much for it at the time. A few of my friends that actually watch anime were shocked that I didn't watch it because it seemed like something I'd love as I am a ridiculous human being in real life, and memes kept being shoved in my face so I finally decided to give it more of a chance and ended up loving it after adjusting to it's style.
Dec 29, 2019 10:29 PM

Oct 2019
Dropped Kengan ashura on episode 1, picked it back up 2 weeks later and binged both seasons nonstop. So glad I picked it back up
Dec 29, 2019 11:50 PM

Jul 2012
"On Hold"
> I don't have time for or not interested currently

"Dropped"
> I do NOT want to finish this ever in my life.
Dec 30, 2019 12:42 AM

Nov 2016
Haven't completed it yet but last year I dropped macross after watching the first 10 eps and found them to be just horrible but after talking with some fans and realising that I still had quite an interest for it even after my initial disappointment. So I decided to change my approach towards it and am planning to restart in the near future.
Dec 30, 2019 12:47 AM

Nov 2019
I put Violet Evergarden on hold for a while at ep 9. Right before it's best episode. I think it was because of the start of the winter 2019 season and it was busy.

Guess what when I resumed at ep 10 after 3 months, I wondered why didn't I watch it earlier. πŸ˜‚
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Dec 30, 2019 12:54 AM
Jul 2018
I find that it's better to watch the first few eps of a few anime rather than looking through recommendations and being really picky. I enjoyed a lot of anime I would never have watched based on it's premise. Dropped doesn't necessarily mean 'I hate this show' it's just that I'm not convinced if it will be worth my time.

Also, I have repurposed the On hold section to a 'I'll watch it when my Japanese is good enough to watch it.'
Dec 30, 2019 1:07 AM

Nov 2016
I put Gurren Lagann as "dropped" because I was really petty about Kamina and Yoko's relationship. I remember I didn't like Kamina a whole lot at first. I picked it back up and it became one of my favourites. I also understood Kamina a lot more in the next few episodes. Nia is without a doubt the best girl.
Dec 30, 2019 1:39 AM

Jul 2016
I had The Tatami Galaxy on hold for probably about a year but before I moved it to dropped, then immediately changed my mind and started it over again. It was probably the weird art-style plus whatever my mood was at the time that made me drop it, but when I picked it up again I finished the whole thing in two days and loved it.
Dec 30, 2019 2:19 AM

Jan 2019
Clannad After Story because I dislike most of the characters in the show. To me it only got good when it stopped the harem shenanigans and the focus on the terrible side characters. When it focused on Tomoya and Nagisa, it was ok. S1 is garbage though.

I dropped Toradora near the end because of the stupid melodrama mainly because of Ami and Minori but I picked it back up because I was close to finishing so might as well.

Probably more but those are what I first thought of.
Dec 30, 2019 2:35 AM

Apr 2019
Uhh.. I have too many so I'll just pick one of em'. I think there was this anime called.. Fuck. I forgot. Anyways. I putted that anime as on-hold for months and even considered dropping it because of how bland and boring it was. However, I still had a small urge left to give it another chance so I did. Turns out that the anime was really good and became one of my all time favorites for this year.

Yep. I'm really glad I completed it. I might've lost a hidden gem if I dropped it at the first place.
Dec 30, 2019 3:59 AM

May 2018
I remember dropping Monster several times till I found a proper mood for its frustrating pacing and constant switching of focus. Still 6/10 show to me.

Dropped Mushishi and Planetes on episode one, latter realised that I was expecting wrong things for them and completed them. Now one of my favourites (not in my MAL profile tho, 10 slots is too little).

Similar thing with Patlabor.

Similar thing with Gundam: G no Reconguista - it's only after I watched more Tomino shows when I started to understand them (they are quite weird). Now G-Reco is my favourite Tomino series.

Putted Natsume on hold after second season...not sure why because I liked it. Later continued it.

Recently completed some old dropped shows like Argento Soma and Sol Bianca.
Dec 30, 2019 4:19 AM

Jun 2016
I took a long 1 year break from your lie in april in episode 11 because I didn't feel like watching it for some reason. I'm glad I finished it. It was a good show. I've also put arslan senki on hold because it's shit but I'll finish it some day out of moral obligation.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 30, 2019 8:16 AM

Dec 2018
Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl

I started by fast clicking through the first episode . And the first thing I saw was Hazumu on top of Yasuna and mistaken her for a male ,When in fact she was a "hen" and NEVER a he!! So I dropped it!!

Males are not allowed to touch my females!! The girls are mine!!! And I only accept lesbian love!! I have dropped some anime only because the males have shown a little interest towards my females!! Im a extremist when it come to pureness in my Yuri!!

But sometimes I re-watch things I think Im going to dislike or have cast aside, just to test myself! Sometime I judge way to fast =P and know this side of me, So I might give things a second shot!!

So I did! And realised how intriguing and misunderstand Hazumu is!! She became my favourite waifu!! And even if that anime have a million problems it have Hazumu!! The girl I saw as trash become my greatest treasure!! And that anime is one of the best lesbian romance I have ever watched!! She and that anime is so much more then what first meets the eye. Im a old stubborn goat!! To ask her to win my heart was not a easy task! But she did it with flying colours!! And Im so glad I gave it a second chance!!

Dec 30, 2019 8:31 AM

Jan 2010
Hmmm, I guess Ga Rei Zero. First episode failed to hook me and so I forgot about it soon after with no motivation to continue.

But somehow I ended up watching episode two and actually liked it and it hooked me and I finished it in one sitting.

I'm glad I picked it up again because it's a quite memorable anime tbh. In both bad and good ways lol.
Dec 30, 2019 8:32 AM

Apr 2014
Yes, I put them on hold because they weren't finished and, or I didn't have a lot of time to watch them, or because they were boring, and I would marathon them when they were finished.
Dec 30, 2019 8:36 AM

Jun 2019
I've had a few Dropped shows that I've picked up and watched lately, Toradora being the most recent that I only finished today.

There were a few shows like Toradora & Gurren Lagann that I dropped after the first few eps as they just didn't grab my attention. I know these were well regarded shows so there must be something good about them so when they came up for re-watches on the r/anime reddit page I decided to join in and finish watching the shows.

It's much easier to consume just an episode a day, so I ended up finishing both TTGL & Toradora & really enjoyed both shows.

Others shows like Hunter x Hunter 2011 I put On Hold for a while but picked it up again & am still watching it now.
Dec 30, 2019 8:37 AM

Feb 2018
I haven't put anything as dropped, but I have a bunch of stuff on hold and have finished some of the shows on it. The shows I have finished that have been on there have ranged from 2 to 10 score-wise, so the reasons ranged from having watched a few episodes a year earlier and wanting to watch more since it's supposed to get better, and knowing it's not very good but wanting to just be done with it. The reasons were usually that I took a break from them out of just not being invested in it when I watched it or just taking a break if I have other shows I wanted to watch first. I am glad I finished them since I got to enjoy some amazing shows and better evaluate what doesn't work as well in other anime.
Dec 30, 2019 3:11 PM

Nov 2015
Yeah, there have been a few series that I dropped only to pick up later and enjoy. The earliest of which was the original Fate/stay night. I had originally dropped it because I disliked one of the characters (a really minor thing that I would never do now). I picked it back up again when I saw the awesome animation that Unlimited Blade Works had, and I'm happy I did. Getting into the Fate franchise was one of the best things I've done so far; it's been one of the most exciting, interesting, and creative series I've seen.

I also dropped the first season of Index about a third of the way through because the episodes were really slow and boring to me. I didn't really have much interest in the characters or the plot (I still don't, tbh), but I ended up picking it back up anyways for reasons I don't remember. The magic half - A Certain Magical Index - is an alright watch, but I really fell in love with the science/sci-fi half - A Certain Scientific Railgun (and the more recent A Certain Scientific Accelerator).

Like I'm sure a lot of people did, I dropped Black Clover during the earlier portion of its airing; Asta was just really annoying and unlikable to me, not to mention the early plot wasn't personally very interesting, as were most of the early characters introduced. I later picked it back up because I had noticed the community's opinion towards it had changed. While it's certainly not the best thing I've ever watched, the story is much better now, as are the characters. And I'm a sucker for good animation thanks to UBW, so the awesome fight scenes later on really helped change my opinion of it as well.

But by far the best decision I've made so far was deciding to pick up Soukyuu no Fafner (a 2004 Mecha anime). I had dropped it after just the first episode - which is surprising because I've always used the 3 episode rule for as long as I can remember. The beginning of the show is frankly extremely confusing and hard to follow; I had no idea what was going on or who any of the characters were. But just like with Fate, I ended up seeing a bit of what the later part of the series looked like and I thought it might be worth trying to get through the first season. It probably helped that I was already a bit of a Mecha fan, but damn it if I didn't absolutely fall in love with the entire thing. I'm so glad I decided to watch it because it is now one of my favorite series ever. It's also the reason I've been getting more interested in watching older titles because of how much I liked the early 2000's animation style.
ISOQuorraDec 30, 2019 3:15 PM
Dec 30, 2019 5:47 PM

Oct 2008
I plan on giving several of my dropped anime a second chance. Also I will finish all of my on hold anime at some point in time.

Reasons why I dropped a series is because it was boring or annoyed me. Also I watch the 1st season of an anime. And if a 2nd season comes out I naturally try to finish it as well. But if the 2nd season is boring or annoying I drop them.
Dec 31, 2019 10:31 PM

Mar 2017
For me, "On Hold" means I intend to finish it one day, just not sure when that'll be.

If I've "Dropped" a show, I don't intend to return to it unless something or someone convinces me to give it another shot. In one example that comes to mind, MC#1 is a horrible person to MC#2 and they try to make it out to be cute and funny. I might give it another chance if I find out that in a later season MC#1 has a redemption arc.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Dec 31, 2019 10:37 PM

May 2012
Almost everything on my hold list is from one specific season. I had a severe panic attack while watching a show that season (completely unrelated). I've tried going back and watching some of the shows but they literally trigger me. I still haven't fully recovered and anime to this day makes me anxious.
Dec 31, 2019 10:48 PM

Jul 2012
I dropped One Piece some time ago because I wasn't really feeling it and became disinterested in it, but a couple of months later I found myself missing it, especially the characters, so I picked it up again. I'm enjoying it a lot now.
Dec 31, 2019 10:53 PM

Nov 2007
The only anime I ever dropped (and multiple times at it) yet picked it up again has been Gintama. I don't need to say the rest. The answer is in my all time faves.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 31, 2019 11:12 PM

Sep 2018
Only one, GTO. It is one I should have liked but i think I rated it a 5.
Dec 31, 2019 11:13 PM

Oct 2017
I put code geass on-hold halfway through the first time I watched it. just wasn't a fan of many characters.

picked it back up recently and I'm glad I did. had a good time.
Dec 31, 2019 11:22 PM
Feb 2019
I put Suzumiya Haruhi on-hold for a while after like 9 episodes. It just couldn't keep me interested for some reason. But when I recently decided to pick it up again, for some reason, it just felt amazing, the SoL scenes were so relaxing to watch and I actually started to care for the characters. Funnily enough, it was Endless Eight where I picked it back up and it made a bit of an impact too for me to care more about the characters (not really watched all of them through, just the more important moments, I'm not daring enough to waste my time). Then I watched the movie and instantly written it down as one of my favorite SoL animes. I'm even considering to pick up the LN, knowing the odds for another season is poor.
Dec 31, 2019 11:29 PM

Jan 2019
I initially dropped Bakemonogatari because it was presented in such a strange way, but I picked it back up and is now one of my favorites. I also initially dropped Higurashi because the show kinda looked cheap and was shittily animated, but then picked it back up after learning it was beloved for its story and it was great.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Dec 31, 2019 11:37 PM

Feb 2017
I rarely put something in my On Hold or Dropped but when I do it usually is for one of 4 reasons.

1. Episodes aren't coming out but cant click completed, I'm looking at you Seitokai Yakuindomo not having the last episode for another 9 months...

2. Series are just too long and lost interest but might want to start again (Fairy Tail, Gintama)

3. Random series in my watching that I started but didn't have the motivation to complete as the On Hold space was made for.

4. Dropped is obvious as I know for a fact that I wasn't going to finish it and didn't want it in my On Going or On Hold.

Jan 1, 2020 2:53 AM

Jul 2019
I had to drop Yu Yu Hakusho because of my exams, and I completely forgot about it. I finished it one year later and I loved it so much. I still think to this day that this series is much better than Hunter x Hunter (they were done by the same mangaka).
Jan 1, 2020 5:14 AM
Jul 2018
yesss. Monster.

I put it on hold because I was falling asleep to an episode (I think 11 or 13 I don't remember), I'd try watching it but always fell asleep.. and there were other anime on my PTW that were tempting me, so I put it on hold and resumed a while later, and glad I did! I did enjoy Monster until that episode but maybe it was the pacing in that particular episode, that I couldn't get through. I was also a little stressed at that time so it didn't help.
Jan 1, 2020 9:09 AM

Nov 2017
Off the top of my head I can remember four series I completed after putting them on hold. The first was Sword Art Online, which I began watching just to see what all that fuzz was about. I watch the Aincrad arc and the first episode of Alfheim, found some parts good, others bad and the rest just kind of meh, then decided to leave it there because I reckoned I had a good idea of what the show was and didn't think it was my cup of tea. A year or so later I get a craving for seeing something that looks like SAO and since the best way to get that is by going to the source I watch the rest of the series. End result was... basically the same as the first time around: liked some parts, hated other parts, thought the rest was meh, didn't hate it overall but didn't like it either. I was left mostly indifferent by the experience.

The second one was Inferno Cop. I saw one episode way back when and was shocked by the style of it, so I just left it there. After some time, however, I figured I'm actually really in the mood for something stupid and insane, watched the rest of it and had a good time doing it. Happy I finished that one.

Third one was Myriad Colors Phantom World. I watched the first episode because I had a craving for some KyoAni eye candy at the time and the series happened to be the one fresh in my mind due to some YouTube videos I'd been watching. Seeing the first episode (or three?), however, made me realize it was actually kind of boring and not something I wanted to watch at the time, so on hold it went. After a while, I got another craving for some KyoAni eye candy, and since this one happened to already be clogging up my on-hold -list I decided to just get it over with. Unfortunately I found it be kind of boring this time as well, but I suppose I was more in the mood for it at the time since I managed to finish it. Not too happy about that one.

Then there's Eureka Seven. I began watching it because it is a popular, well liked show with a reasonably large fanbase and an interesting concept, so probably worth checking out. Somewhere between episodes 10 and 20, however, I grew incredibly frustrated with the series. The main character had to go through a ton of emotional torment and physical abuse resulting from interpersonal drama that could have been avoided if someone had told him what exactly was going on and why that meant he shouldn't act brash. Since this came hot off the heels of the annoying-but-obligatory "dump on the new guy" phase of the show it managed to burn off all the goodwill I had for the series, so I didn't feel like watching it anymore. A year or so pass, I see and like Darling in the Franxx and feel like watching more mecha action. Eureka Seven is still popular, well liked and staring at me whenever I open my on-hold list, so fuck it, let's see what people like so much about it! Turns out that despite the show getting better after episode 22 or so my goodwill towards it has not returned and I find myself unable to care about anything that happens. I end up burning through the episodes in a daze of disinterest, just wanting get it over with for no particular reason. This leads to some weird moments where I can intellectually recognize some scenes as beautiful and powerful, but can emotionally feel nothing but boredom watching them. Still, it did allow me to understand why the show is so loved and made me recognize the influence it had on Franxx, so I suppose I'm at least not disappointed I finished it.
Jan 1, 2020 9:15 AM
Jan 2018
The only reason why I continue a dropped show is because when I watch it I'm in a bad mood, and some days later I go "oh wait, it has a lot of aspects I like".

It has only happened with 3 shows. Planet With, Pop Team Epic and How heavy are the Dumbbells you lift.
Jan 1, 2020 9:41 AM

Dec 2012
Bleach (several times for boring filler, worth it)
Dai Guard (1st ep was aired on "Giant Robot week" but CN but not the rest, it took me years to locate the rest, it was ok)
Hanayamata (Boring, not really worth it)
Hunter X Hunter (2011) (Boring filler)
Kekkaishi (Kinda boring, it was okay)
La Arcana Famiglia (boring, definitely not worth it)
Martian Successor Nadesico (Another casualty of Giant Robot week, loved it)
Naruto Shippuden (Numerous times for boring filler, it was decent)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Giant Robot week here too, not really worth it)
Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They? (Generic, ended up liking it quite a bit)
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 1, 2020 11:13 AM

Sep 2019
I only dropped about 8 or 9 shows so far because of the fact that i stopped watching them due to being distracted with other shows. Mazinger Z was a show that i really wanted to finish, but i got distracted with DBZ when i got to the Buu saga and decided to drop it. A lack of interest is also a key factor for me to drop an anime.
Jan 1, 2020 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
sakurasou no pet no kanojo. I dropped it twice and then picked up again and god i loved it so much.
Jan 1, 2020 12:30 PM

Feb 2010
The only shows I dropped and then gave another try years later were shows that I dropped early on, as a teenager, and only could appreciate later on when my taste broadened. The biggest examples are probably SEL, Monster and Casshern Sins. But I haven't un-dropped a show in quite a long time since I know what I like now.
I probably regret this post by now.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 1 hour ago

5 by nishant0 »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

18 by Richard_Senpai »»
7 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

23 by Kurgo »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 6 hours ago

13 by 23feanor »»
21 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

14 by LoveYourEyes »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.