Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 5, 2019 1:41 PM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Hello there!

So I was looking at some of the anime that is simulcasting at the moment, with single episodes being released once a week, and decided I would wait until the series is completely released to watch it all at once. I don't think I could handle getting hooked on an anime that only has a few episodes available!

What are your thoughts on watching the whole series at once VS one episode at a time as they are released? Is one method inherently superior to the other?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 5, 2019 1:44 PM

Oct 2017
I'm still pretty new to anime, but I definitely think binge-watching beats week-to-week. I don't want to wait if I'm invested.
Nov 5, 2019 1:48 PM
Sep 2017
I mean it really depends on the show imo. There are shows that are really fit for binge-watching, like FMA or something, which I watched like 20 episodes a day. Then there are slower shows like K-on where I feel like a weekly viewing. Overall, I try not to watch too much at one time.
Nov 5, 2019 1:48 PM

Aug 2009
I'm in an odd position where I prefer to binge a series or a season of a series, but I either don't have the time to do so, or I just don't want to sit in one place for five hours. So I would just go an episode or two at a time, but I have the fear of possibly forgetting what I've watched beforehand when going for another episode after taking a break.

Nov 5, 2019 1:56 PM

Mar 2019
I enjoy shows less when I watch week to week because I loose some of my investment while waiting for new episodes, so I always wait until the show is finished
Nov 5, 2019 2:00 PM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
FacelessVixen said:
I'm in an odd position where I prefer to binge a series or a season of a series, but I either don't have the time to do so, or I just don't want to sit in one place for five hours. So I would just go an episode or two at a time, but I have the fear of possibly forgetting what I've watched beforehand when going for another episode after taking a break.

I'm the same at the moment, I just wait for days off to watch a series, then on work days I'll watch an episode or two of longer series before bed.
Nov 5, 2019 3:14 PM

Jun 2015
_underscore_830 said:
I enjoy shows less when I watch week to week because I loose some of my investment while waiting for new episodes, so I always wait until the show is finished
I wish I could wait, I cant so I watch 1 ep a week like a pleb
Nov 5, 2019 3:17 PM

Jun 2017
i can never binge, my mind just deteriorates and my eyesballs start falling out of my sockets :\
Nov 5, 2019 3:24 PM
Dec 2017
binge watching is the best option for long anime like One Piece for example (and that's what most people do)
i also like to binge my favourite anime ( konosuba , shokugeki no souma , fist of the north start ..)
1 episode each time is only good for me when i don't like the show that much (example : zombieland saga )
Nov 5, 2019 3:27 PM
Aug 2018
I used to watch a lot of anime seasonally, but I'd feel like I'm forcing my way through a show I don't particularly enjoy. Now I just wait for most stuff to release in full.

For other stuff I'm watching, I binge most of the time when I can. I've taken entire days for binging (though that doesn't come by very often).
Nov 5, 2019 3:38 PM

Oct 2008
I have binged my anime in the past, right now and will continue to in the future.
Nov 5, 2019 3:41 PM

Sep 2018
for seasonal shows I like to watch them per week since thats how I keep interest for the show but for series that have already finished airing then i like to watch 3 or 6 episodes at a time since that basically 3 eps is a hour of watchtime
Nov 5, 2019 3:48 PM

Jan 2016
I tend to prefer one episode at a time. For starters, I have no attention span, so I can usually barely get through 2 episodes before needing a break. But also it lets me sort through emotional beats better instead of it turning into a soup in my head. And I'm better at finishing stuff when I'm keeping to a schedule of watching as opposed to trying to watch all at once. But that's me
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Nov 5, 2019 4:04 PM

Jan 2019
Binge watching is better. I seriously cant wait an entire week for an episode .
Nov 5, 2019 4:07 PM

Feb 2010
In general I would say binging is the preferable method since it keeps you engaged and maintains the mood you need to enjoy the show once you're watching it.

But I would also say that a lot of genres that work more or less episodically, with no real plot, can be easier or more enjoyable to watch weekly since that is how they are structured, how they were made to be watched.

I do think that the best episodic or slice of life shows are also gonna be bingeable most of the time, but a lot of the mid-tier ones I found harder to binge but very easy and enjoyable to watch weekly.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 5, 2019 4:09 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
In my personal opinion anime is not meant to be binge watched because there is so much to take in from each episode that you easily miss what's going on unless you are rewatching a series. From my personal watching experience, whenever I try to binge watch a series I get tired of watching and go to something else because my limit is 4 episodes a day. So I try to watch a series on a week by week basis so that it will ensure me that I will one day complete a series.
Nov 5, 2019 4:09 PM
Jul 2018
I only easily do binge watching for truly addicting series which is usually Jailbreak or Mind Battle anime like Death Note, The Promised Neverland, or Kaiji. Otherwise, perhaps 2-3 episode in one sitting is just enough.
Nov 5, 2019 4:17 PM

Oct 2019
I mean binge is good if for like anime that have already come out but I could not hold off on current shows and then wait to binge them. I would rather keep up with them and be able to converse with my friends about the episodes per week. But if it is a long show like Black clover, I would understand if you took a few weeks off from watching and went to binge it.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Nov 5, 2019 4:20 PM

Jun 2014
These days, I prefer ability to watch several episodes per day.

Having to wait a week to see a new episode is a real pain.

Nov 5, 2019 4:22 PM
Sep 2016
_underscore_830 said:

My thoughts exactly when it comes to anime
Nov 5, 2019 4:37 PM

Nov 2011
Depend on the anime, binge is not good with episodic series for example. But no anime is better to be watched in weekly format, one at the time mean one episode every one or two days for me, or two episodes everyday.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 5, 2019 11:26 PM

Feb 2019
Some anime are better binge watched like hunter x hunter while anime like houkago saikoro club are better watched weekly. It depends on what kind of anime it is.
Nov 5, 2019 11:39 PM

Feb 2017
I prefer to bingewatch. I'd rather wait for a season to end and watch all the episodes when I want so that everything is fresh in my mind with minimum gaps. If a series gets a sequel announced shortly after it finishes airing and before I watch the first part, I usually wait for the sequel to end too.

I do still watch shows as they come out if I'm really invested in the series, but that's only reserved to shows I know I'll watch multiple times anyway (basically my favorites)

Just some guy who likes anime

Nov 5, 2019 11:44 PM

Aug 2017
Avoid binge watching SOL unless you want to finish it fast.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 6, 2019 12:00 AM

Feb 2019
Binge-watching all the way. I prefer to have control over how many episodes I want to watch at a time, so I avoid watching weekly.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Nov 6, 2019 12:17 AM

Jul 2019
Due to many great anime coming this season I can't wait for them to finish so I watch one episode at a time. If I decided to wait I would get spoiled pretty hard. I usually binge watch shows that are already out.
Nov 6, 2019 12:21 AM

Jan 2018
Definitely binge-watching for me. Other than Mushishi, which I took very slow, everything I've ever given an 8 or higher (signifying it being a favorite of mine in some capacity) is something that I've completed in a very short period of time. It's almost always under a week, with the exclusion of some longer series (over two cours).

Nurguburu said:
Avoid binge watching SOL unless you want to finish it fast.

This really depends on the SOL for me. Aria is my personal favorite series of all-time, and I actually watched the entire thing (57 episodes) in a little over a week during my first viewing. I'm currently doing the same thing with K-On! and loving it, haha. To each their own, though. I've been called weird for this plenty of times. xD

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Nov 6, 2019 3:46 AM

Jun 2016
I'd normally go for a binge-watch, but I actually watched my all time favorite anime on a weekly basis sooo... depends on the anime really
Nov 6, 2019 5:28 AM

Oct 2019
Ryzor said:
Hello there!

So I was looking at some of the anime that is simulcasting at the moment, with single episodes being released once a week, and decided I would wait until the series is completely released to watch it all at once. I don't think I could handle getting hooked on an anime that only has a few episodes available!

What are your thoughts on watching the whole series at once VS one episode at a time as they are released? Is one method inherently superior to the other?

I think I enjoy binge watching the most because I can focus better on the anime, waiting a week to see a 20' episode is really hard...
Nov 6, 2019 5:54 AM

Sep 2018
I like to watch week-to-week, because it's easier to keep up. Binge-watching takes a lot more time and my attention span isn't really suited to watch for long periods at a time;
Nov 6, 2019 6:01 AM

Feb 2013
I guess I KIND OF binge.

First of all, the entire weekly episode crap just doesn't sit well with me. No matter how much I adore the series/manga, I will forget checking it when the new bit is out. For example, I'm an absolute SnK manga trash, but I think I'm about 7 chapters behind because I genuinely keep forgetting to read. My life is pretty busy, and there are many things for me to keep in mind.

For the same reason re being busy, I don't sit around and watch anime for hours. I used to when I was a teen, but now? Hell no, I've got many leisure-related things I want to do in my down-time. HOWEVER, my commute to work is a lengthy one, so I usually get to watch 1.5 episode on a journey there and the same amount back. Aka 3 episodes a day.

Simultaneously, I distract myself from dying on cardio machines at the gym through watching anime. Doesn't work on treadmill, but perfect for the steps machine, where I get to knock out extra episode. I go to the gym 3 times a week.

In total, I get to watch around 18 episodes a week. Sometimes, when I'm particularly drawn into series, I will watch them while lying in a bath, too.

Welp, I don't know if that's binge-watching or not, but yeah.
Nov 6, 2019 6:05 AM

Oct 2014
Personally watch Gintama an episode a week, another anime an episode a day (an anime which I respect), and another anime that I watch 3-12 episodes of a day. I think they're all fine ways of watching, but watching weekly I definitely don't want to do for many anime at a time because I end up forgetting about them.
Nov 6, 2019 6:17 AM

Oct 2018
Waiting until all of these series airing finish to watch them will be hard for you at the end. If you watch weekly, then you will know if you like the anime or not and can drop it. I have only waited for one anime to air completely before watching it, Jojo Part 5.
Nov 6, 2019 6:29 AM

May 2019
Watching seasonals as it airs is good. Seasonals end too quickly when binge-watched, so I don't get the full experience and tend to forget them more quickly and easily. But if a seasonal anime has many seasons, then it's good to binge-watch because there are more episodes, just like a long anime.

Long animes are better when binge-watched. Waiting weekly for One Piece is a huge pain because the pacing sucks.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Nov 6, 2019 7:31 AM
Nov 2019
I binge watched one piece,it took me 6 months from ep 1 to 800. something.

Now i wait all episodes to come for Mha,Shokugeki no souma,SAO,and 7 deadly sins,so i can binge them all.

Also watching vinland saga and dr stone,every week.

Nov 6, 2019 9:47 AM

Nov 2015
Ryzor said:
Hello there!

It's not that I'm incapable of waiting until a series is completely finished airing, it's that I don't have enough time to binge-watch series like that. Unless I'm on Winter or Summer break, I usually have a lot of assignments and studying to do. It's all I can manage to just watch even 1 episode a day. I would love to just sit down and have hours to myself to binge entire series, but I haven't been able to do that since I graduated high school.

If its seasonal, I'm usually watching it while it airs. It's not that big a deal to wait a week in between episodes, especially if you're watching multiple anime (or multiple seasonal) at once. Some people like to wait until it's finished airing to watch it, and there's nothing wrong with that. I know that I would take longer to finish a series if I did that, though.
Nov 6, 2019 10:12 AM
Jul 2018
If I binge something that means I really like it. I never intend to binge a show (anime or not) it just happens.
Nov 6, 2019 11:18 AM

Feb 2017
Ah yes, the age old question whose answer always depends on the series type, atleast for me!

I watch 2-3 episodes per session for anime with stories with intricate plot. Binge watching ruins the awesomeness of what I had seen so far. On weekdays I have 1 session to watch anime while on weekends I have like 3-4.

For me binge watching works fine when faced with an anime whose entire plot is easy to understand, or probably no plot at all. I just want to see what happens next and is more about curiosity of what will change the next episode.
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Nov 6, 2019 11:48 AM

Jun 2019
Both approaches to watching anime are equally valid, it just depends upon your watching preferences and will power at the time.

I used to have the capacity for patience that allowed me to wait until the end of a season and then watch the entire thing in one go (Danmachi S1 & Overlord S1 are a couple I remember waiting to watch).

Currently I'm enjoying watching each episode as it airs. That's mainly due to the fact that I'm able to chat about the ep each week on mal though. Watching a short 12 ep series in one sitting is definitely fulfilling, you get to immerse yourself in a way that you can't when watching a show every week.
Nov 6, 2019 12:01 PM

Feb 2018
If its a show that has finished airing, I'll binge it.If its still airing, I will follow with it because that way I'll know what happens next much faster than in 3 or so months.

Nov 6, 2019 12:06 PM

Sep 2018
I tried to watch weekly airing seasonal anime, but one 24 or so minute episode is just not good enough for me. It takes some of the fun away with longer shows as well, like One Piece for instance.
Nov 6, 2019 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
Binge watch all the way for me. To me, it's just easier to watch anime when it's finished. Also, it is easier to watch if you want to remember stuff a bit easier.

However, one episode per week can also have its merits. Specifically, for spoilers. For example, I watched KnY on a weekly basis and because of that, I knew what was up with all the hype that surrounds the show.
Nov 6, 2019 12:47 PM

Dec 2012
It depends. I have a hard time binging episodic anime that are monster/villain/case/joke of the week type stuff (slice of life and comedy are hard too), but something with a progressive linear storyline is more addictive than crack and extremely binge-able.
KruszerNov 6, 2019 12:52 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 6, 2019 2:42 PM

Oct 2016
Usually, if an anime has under 20 episodes, then I watched one per day constantly till I finish it, above that, I watched 2 episodes on average unless a show that I adore such as Nanatsu no Taizai where I sometimes watch up to 3 episodes per day. Also just like Nanatsu no Taizai, I binged whenever I gain to invest in it, I've binged 5 episodes one time and watched the movie the next day. Under 10 episodes I just binged the whole thing in 1 or 3 days cause why finish it later than soon as possible.
Nov 6, 2019 4:00 PM

Jul 2017
I always choose binging over week-to-week viewing. You get a LOT more invested, at least for me. I'll always wait until a season is finished before watching.
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Nov 6, 2019 4:49 PM
Mar 2018
I prefer binging. I don't watch seasonally, nor do I like waiting for a long time to see what happens next. Though some shows are definitely easier to binge than others.
Nov 6, 2019 5:12 PM

Oct 2019
I generally hate waiting a week for the next episode. I usually watch it in one go if I can.
Nov 6, 2019 5:25 PM
Jun 2015
I have always binge watched, I still do.. And I will probably always do that.

1) I have the time to do so, a lot of people prefer week to week because they don't have the time, or because they can't sit still for a lot of hours - I don't have that problem

2) I watch a lot of different stuff and read a lot at the same time so if the show is going to have a lot of episodes I kind of forget a few bits from the beginning when the show reaches 30-40 episodes.

3) If it's a show like Diamond no Ace and there's going to be 50 episodes, you don't get the same feels when you have to wait a week for a new episodes. I binge watched the first two seasons of Diamond no Ace and I was left in TEARS. It definitely wouldn't have been the same if I had to wait.

4) I don't want to wait years to watch the ending of a long on-going anime.

5) I can't stand cliffhangers.. Seriously I feel like I get anxiety for the rest of the week when i have to wait and see what happens. Often I just read the manga because I can read that a lot faster than waiting.
Nov 6, 2019 5:32 PM
Feb 2009
I'm kind of in between the two. I'll usually watch an anime in three episode chunks.
Which means a twelve episode anime will be done in four days.
Nov 6, 2019 8:13 PM

May 2009
Ryzor said:
Hello there!

I don't enjoy watching more than a few episodes at a time, and find that stories are often better enjoyed when their events have time to "stew" in my mind become brought into my life. So my watching of non-"seasonals" is pretty spaced out too. Not as much as a seasonal would be, but I often still take more than a week to finish a one-cour series.

I haven't ever watched stuff seasonally, though, except as a kid and finally once again this current season (per a friend's request). And, actually, not sure if it's because of the choice of show or my reaction to it (particularly since I do find myself really liking one of the characters), but I'm finding that it literally stays with me for a much longer period of time. My guess is that this will mean the show will be more memorable to me in the long run. Dunno how this will affect my experience of it while it airs, but I think this is probably a good thing.

TL;DR I rarely watch seasonals, but trying it this season has made me think that it's not a bad idea (at least for one show at a time) because it gives me lots of time to relate to it.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

60 by mizukasa »»
3 seconds ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

2 by Lhundrup »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

53 by epidemia78 »»
5 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 7 hours ago

5 by Rhaelynne »»
5 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

18 by billybub »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.