Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
In/Spectre
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 21, 2020 8:53 PM
Aug 2018
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
Why are people so surprised at the "detective" stuffs this episode have? The anime literally named "KYOKOU SUIRI" (Invented Inference) for a reason. Have you guys even check the genres first before watching the show?

As for episode itself, I still don't know why are they changed the timeline placement of this episode but at least the contents was adapted properly from the manga.

IKR, I been telling people the same thing. The material is loaded with dialogue and it’s also a mystery about solving cases by making up convincing stories. If you don’t like it, go watch some shounen isekai because if you came for action, this is not the place.
Jan 21, 2020 11:40 PM

Feb 2011
this episode was nowhere in the manga.. what the fudge

Jan 22, 2020 3:37 AM

Apr 2010
Scootboi said:

It's Chapter 15, with some changes.
Jan 22, 2020 3:38 AM

Feb 2018
ahmad_jaelani said:
Very very bad, in the episode 2
no no no episode 2 is a good mystery xD, especially why she's killed some people?
Jan 22, 2020 11:31 AM

Feb 2019
What a stupid episode. was episode that was entirely talking, just rambling nonsense.

ahmad_jaelani said:
no no no episode 2 is a good mystery xD, especially why she's killed some people?

She visits a snake to theorycraft about some woman who dumped a body. Not investigate the murder. Not solve the mystery. Not even try to do anything of the sort. To come up with an explanation that the goofy halfwit of a snake will decide is good enough. It could have been over 10 seconds into the conversation. It might be a three episode arc. Who knows! It's up to whenever the snake stops arguing.

But even that's not the worst part. Maybe it could've wrapped things up with at least some kind of weak denouement about the nature of… I don't even know, the truth, or what we believe in, or how much we care about people dumping bodies in our swamps. But it doesn't. The episode just ends mid conversation, no point ever reached, no conclusion sought, nothing built to, nothing anythinged. How the hell is this a multi-episode arc? they should stop overanimating pouring out soup and invest a couple more yens to hire writers paid by something other than the word.
Jan 22, 2020 12:05 PM

Feb 2011
antonn said:
Scootboi said:

why did they reorrder it like that?

Jan 22, 2020 1:46 PM

Mar 2018
Really liked the 1st ep but this one was kinda boring.
Jan 22, 2020 4:45 PM

Nov 2013
i kinda want to like this anime since the main duo is pretty decent...but since i'm not a fan of detective stuff...this episode was boring as hell to me lol

guess i'll watch one more but i already lost almost all my hope of enjoying this
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 22, 2020 8:50 PM

Jul 2008
I actually enjoyed this more than the first episode. There are so many anime that vie for your attention by using action, but a show that can keep you interested through what’s almost a monologue? That’s more unusual, and while it might not be spectacular, it gives me higher hopes for the rest of the writing and storytelling of the series. Also, if it it progressed into action immediately like the first episode, we’d be left with the impression that this is a monster of the week show following a format of Kotoko trying to speak with a youkai, being out of her league when it comes to violence, and Kuro showing up to save her when she’s in a pinch. That would get extremely old very fast, and I doubt many people would want to watch a season of that.
Jan 22, 2020 9:53 PM
May 2016
vndb said:
ahmad_jaelani said:

discussion, discussion, and discussion, I'm bored xD
Jan 22, 2020 10:51 PM

Jul 2016
Damn that cliffhanger. Was it really that necessary? I mean, the mystery was almost solved after all.

Anyways, though unnecessarily extensive/redundant for moments, I found the talk with the huge serpent to be quite interesting.
Kotoko and Kurou's interactions were also quite enjoyable and man, I absolutely love how bold Kotoko can be sometimes.

Overall, it was a good second episode.

P.S.: Honestly, I don't get how some people thought this series would be an action-focused one. I mean, I never had that impression while watching the PVs or reading the synopsis.
Jan 23, 2020 4:45 AM

Jul 2016
SouthRzVa said:
P.S.: Honestly, I don't get how some people thought this series would be an action-focused one.

I guess it's mainly because of near the end of EP1 and the faceless girl (Main antagonist) appeared in the key visual.

Although it's true that this series is never about action except of first episode and against the main antagonist.
Jan 23, 2020 5:05 AM
Aug 2018
Scootboi said:
antonn said:

why did they reorrder it like that?

I think it was to add be a filler episode right before the start of the steel nanase arc which is the current main arc for this season.
Jan 23, 2020 5:26 AM
Aug 2018
RayReynolds said:
What a stupid episode. was episode that was entirely talking, just rambling nonsense.

She visits a snake to theorycraft about some woman who dumped a body. Not investigate the murder. Not solve the mystery. Not even try to do anything of the sort. To come up with an explanation that the goofy halfwit of a snake will decide is good enough. It could have been over 10 seconds into the conversation. It might be a three episode arc. Who knows! It's up to whenever the snake stops arguing.

But even that's not the worst part. Maybe it could've wrapped things up with at least some kind of weak denouement about the nature of… I don't even know, the truth, or what we believe in, or how much we care about people dumping bodies in our swamps. But it doesn't. The episode just ends mid conversation, no point ever reached, no conclusion sought, nothing built to, nothing anythinged. How the hell is this a multi-episode arc? they should stop overanimating pouring out soup and invest a couple more yens to hire writers paid by something other than the word.

Umm.. it’s a mystery if you don’t know. I have read the manga and it is lifted with dialogue. If you thought that there would be action here you are wrong. I suggest you avoid this if you are not the biggest fan of long dialogue because I can guarantee that this anime will consist of 90% dialogue and nothing more. Only a few scene of action tho and that is only in the main arc which will be coming next episode.
Jan 23, 2020 5:26 AM
Aug 2018
RayReynolds said:

Umm.. it’s a mystery if you don’t know. I have read the manga and it is lifted with dialogue. If you thought that there would be action here you are wrong. I suggest you avoid this if you are not the biggest fan of long dialogue because I can guarantee that this anime will consist of 90% dialogue and nothing more. Only a few scene of action tho and that is only in the main arc which will be coming next episode.
Jan 23, 2020 5:34 AM
Dec 2019
ZKisara said:
RayReynolds said:

Reading stuff like this is great. I was afraid that the show will turn into some battle series after a while. I think the angle with supernatural, investigations, good dialogue and rather grounded characters is nice.
Jan 23, 2020 1:33 PM

Oct 2014
I loved how charming this episode was. The interactions between Kotoko and Kurou are adorable but also very clever.

The serpent was hilarious too. I expected him to be the monster of the week, but instead he was the sassy murder witness of the week. Aoi's murder is quite interesting, I was ready to call her a murdering hoe right away, then Kotoko and the serpent started debating her true motives.
Jan 23, 2020 2:00 PM

Nov 2019
Pretty good episode. That cliffhanger tho, I just hope that they deal real quick the issue in the next episode and they don't take the entirety of the episode (again).
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Jan 24, 2020 7:59 AM

Apr 2010
Swagernator said:
They spent the whole episode talking .. and we don't even saw the resolution, like come on.

At least next week the ex-girlfriend gonna show up.

You are totally right.

Jan 24, 2020 8:43 PM

Sep 2016
I lol'd

Can't help but remember this from Zombieland Saga xD
bruh
Jan 25, 2020 5:28 AM
Apr 2019
It was fine, but I didn't like as much as the first episode. It felt kinda repetitive, exposing different theories why the body was thrown into the swamp. Nor do I liked the episode ended in a cliffhanger, I'd have preferred the episode to conclude with the resolution of the case. I even wonder if it wil be solved in the next episode, since the preview seems to show a completely differente case.

So it seems this series will be about dealing with different cases around youkai. If well driven it can be very entertaining.
Jan 25, 2020 5:34 AM
Sep 2019
I wonder what the ED meant, or is it just for display. And darn, the snake actually got upset and said it would rather have girls... (to eat) ehhh. But the guy finally came to the snake!
Jan 25, 2020 5:37 AM
Sep 2019
Also previously they ended on the Kurou saying he ate as much as he could, but next episode they started somewhere else. I hope they continue the scene at the library later, even just a short scene is okay for me!
Jan 25, 2020 5:40 AM

Sep 2019
Kentuckenity said:
I wonder what the ED meant, or is it just for display. And darn, the snake actually got upset and said it would rather have girls... (to eat) ehhh. But the guy finally came to the snake!

What a hypocrite snake, he couldn't hold his boner... sigh.
White_HollowJan 25, 2020 6:58 AM

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Jan 25, 2020 6:53 AM

Dec 2010
Just by reading the comments, I can see people hate dialogue-heavy shows.

I agree that the serpent was really weird since it keeps adding what-ifs and hypothetical situations. Still, It's not as bad as people think. People just get disappointed since it's not what they want.

I enjoyed this episode more so due to the interactions between the MCs. Also, Miyano Mamoru's voice <3
Jan 25, 2020 9:00 AM

Sep 2014
booyah10 said:
Just by reading the comments, I can see people hate dialogue-heavy shows.

I agree that the serpent was really weird since it keeps adding what-ifs and hypothetical situations. Still, It's not as bad as people think. People just get disappointed since it's not what they want.

I don't think it's that simple. At all.

Some viewers find the lack of action baffling. Several people who read the source seem to find joy in that reaction and even blame people for expecting "mindless action". Except these anime viewers are actually right to expect some action!

Why? Authors make promises to their audience. The author clearly promised a certain degree of action in the very first episode, then broke it by delivering something else entirely.

But you see, not everybody who disliked this episode happens to hate dialogue. I absolutely loved Katanagatari and the chemistry between the main characters. The fact this series has potential in the character banter department is the most interesting aspect so far.

And yet, what made me dislike this episode was the talk itself. Nobody is trying to solve a proper mystery. They're just forever rambling about a mystery without ever presenting clues to the viewer. Hell, the first half of Zetsuen No Tempest - by the same author - had a pretty long argument with tons of rambling, but I absolutely loved it. The topic was far more interesting. There was an actual conflict with a lot more at stake. Here in this episode, that charm is gone.

I really hope this series will get better, but this second episode isn't a particularly good sign.
FlamepriesTJan 25, 2020 9:03 AM
Jan 26, 2020 7:30 AM

Jul 2010
I keep seeing people complain about the show.
I get it, it's not for everyone. The same way Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul is not for everyone. It's not about action. it's all about charisma. It's not about "caring about cases", it's about dialogues and reasoning. Let's be honest, who ever CARES about cases in cop shows? No one. It's all about detectives who make the show interesting.
Oh, and also this particular story works this bad because it's almost 180 pages of manga compressed in a single episode. It's all about mood and atmosphere and animators did really good job in ruining it. The snake keeps asking questions and it looks like interrogation, NOT conversation.
If you are already bored- drop it. The next arc is going to be 6-8 episodes long, and it's the same way it was here- no clues, no real investigation- just line of reasoning. Well, THERE'S going to be action, but not so much, no, few fights.
TheMangaManiacJan 26, 2020 7:38 AM
Jan 28, 2020 11:15 AM

Nov 2014
From PV's I expected it to be more action-y. But damn, I loved this episode. I'm aware that most probably it won't stay this nice and slow. Still, I hope at least in some way this episode was a tempo setter for whole series.

Tbh I'm quite surprised with so many people finding it boring.
Jan 30, 2020 7:56 AM
Jan 2020

I really liked the facial expression of kotoko , when kuro refused to go with her to the meet the giant snake.
Feb 1, 2020 12:34 AM

Nov 2017
Hard to follow along. Surprising conclusion though. My waifu loli will lead us to victory, with her majestic cane and fake eye. Bless you my princess magic demon loli.

*Turns self into a pillow for her to walk on*

Subs are a bit messy probably too.
Feb 1, 2020 3:38 AM

Mar 2009
Err. This episode was completely different from the 1st episode. What happened?
Feb 1, 2020 5:31 AM

Oct 2018
Holy mother that was boring and painful to watch.

I thought something was weird with the pacing then I checked the manga and I was right...

The problem isn't really about the order of the events but the plot itself and how they unravel the 'mystery' through such a dull narration. It might've worked a bit better if this episode were to be somewhere in the middle of the series but it would still be the worst case of the entire show.

Really really bad move on the director's part for putting this on the second episode.
Feb 1, 2020 7:11 AM

Mar 2010
her forcing him to become her boyfriend is bothering me
Feb 1, 2020 11:04 AM

Jul 2008
Boy the snake really gets hung up on little things. And does it really need to know these little details?
Feb 4, 2020 8:53 PM

Sep 2018
That's a very very long discussion! lol
Feb 9, 2020 9:00 PM

Aug 2017
Ahhh they left me wanting to see what the resolution is. I know that an episode is good when they spend it talking all the time and I didn't get bored lol.

Also, I'm quite surprised with so many people finding dialogue boring, action episodes can be boring too.
NurguburuFeb 9, 2020 9:23 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 12, 2020 3:59 AM

Oct 2010
The whole episode was dedicated to a mystery/detective case. Also that snake with the follow up questions, got super annoying
Feb 20, 2020 5:38 PM

Oct 2018
this is the first anime from Brains base I am watching
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Feb 25, 2020 2:03 AM

Jul 2009
Call me a crusty ol' bore, but I really enjoyed this episode. The exposition didn't bore me one bit, and I kept wanting to know where the mystery was going. Even if I didn't understand everything, I was hooked on the dialogue the entire time.
Feb 27, 2020 3:28 PM

Jul 2013
Dude ate a mermaid. Some crazy things went down on that fishing trip.

All this crazy body-in-swamp stuff is reminding me of "When They Cry"

Mr. Serpent wants to be very thorough with the investigation.
Apr 8, 2020 12:38 PM

Apr 2016
Lol I like how Kotoko referred to Kuro as her boyfriend

This anime definitely has a strong mystery vibe to it. I wonder if this essentially sums up what's to come in future episodes? Kotoko taking on odd jobs to appease spirits in addition to hunting down dangerous spirits. Guess I'll see where this leads.
May 4, 2020 6:26 AM

Jul 2015
Quite the murder case we got here, also quite the unique water god serpent thing who is pretty persistent in wanting to know the reasoning

Serpent: "GIVE ME A YOUNG GIRL AS SACRIFICE"

Kotoko: "( ゚‿ ゚) this is fine"

May 9, 2020 11:50 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
So far was okay. Kinda remember to Gosick lolis, Victorika, when seeing how Kotoko explain everything to the mystery of the murder cases for the white giant snake souls. And how they met in the first episode (classic, romance, eh? Dunno), im laugh with the same scene happened. Unfortunately, kotoko had so much weaknesses, feel sad for her tho. Glad she clever and deserved more attention from me, haha! And im not gonna talk more about the male lead first. Because i dont get much impression from him. Lets see another episodes for clearing my thought....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 23, 2021 8:27 PM
Oct 2019
This episode was nothing at all like the first. At all.

I don't mind shows that have a big mystery reveal episode, but...it's the SECOND EPISODE of the entire series! NOTHING HAS HAPPENED YET! Having a big reveal now doesn't make any sense. It completely stalled the series. And I started losing interest with all the multiple possibilities. It's not like we were actually invested in the snake, or this body-dumping lady. We hardly knew them at all. It's not like we were introduced to them PRIOR to the murder mystery. There was no build up whatsoever, nothing to get us excited about to find the true answer.

Major downgrade from the first episode. 5/10, I guess.
Feb 28, 2021 7:58 PM
Jul 2018
xadon said:
I watched it in November at Anime NYC!

But given all the actions-tensions in the first episode, this episode was kind of meh! Only talk and talk!

Yeah. There was so much information that was dumped that I had to rewind some parts to understand what was being said.
Jun 3, 2021 10:45 AM
May 2020
goddess of wisdom really living up to her name
Nov 29, 2021 12:29 AM

Aug 2018
I had that one friend who made simple problems become huge, just like the serpent -_-
Aug 11, 2022 9:35 AM

Aug 2018
Just a tea party talk with the snake.. ;P Sharing their hardships, how day went, and whatnot.. Just girls tea party.. ;P
Big snake is a fan of detective stories or something?.. Wanting detective from Kotoko.. ;D
Majority of the episode felt as if one of those classic scenes when detective gathers everyone, and tells about how the crime went, who did what, and so on.. Except we more are guessing about how might things have gone.. As well as not sure, if it seriously tries to do this.. Rather play around this trope, I think.. Well, overall it was somewhat entertaining, I guess.. Wonder, if poor Kotoko has to entertain spirits and others like that with guesses all the time.. ;D
Sep 5, 2022 7:22 AM
Jul 2020
good

Oct 10, 2022 12:46 PM
Feb 2022
Bagi yang suka mystery berbau yokai namun ada detective-an nya boleh jadi saran~
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

155 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 29, 2020

70 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2020

66 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2020

88 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2020

110 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 6, 5:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.