Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 25, 2019 9:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, that OP song has some dramatic moments. (along with the usual video game gimmicks)

Really happy to see this anime on TV again with Akira at school and some of the other familiar characters. Street Fighter at the arcade is also back! This series always gave me an old school feeling with that game. The show still makes me laugh a lot especially when Haruo got slapped lol
Oct 25, 2019 5:45 PM

Nov 2010
Where am I? Too much time has passed since the prequel, and mingled with reading manga, I totally lost the current status.
---
Although the score of the show is 8.22 and not so bad, the population is astonishing: only 49 users. Timing is critical.
Oct 26, 2019 7:03 AM

Apr 2017
Please do not ask where to watch the episode in here. MAL is not the right place to do that.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Oct 26, 2019 9:00 AM

Dec 2017
half of the episode was basically just a recap of the previous season in form of Oono's memories, the other half tho.. Koharu turned tsundere and seems like something is stirring up

also, really enjoy the new op. visually as aesthetically pleasing as the first one and vocals are spot-on

Oct 26, 2019 10:53 AM

Sep 2017
Kind of a recap but instead of replaying the scenes from the last season, it retells the story from the girls' perspectives and also gave us something new. It's pretty good. Totally a nostalgic show for me even though I was never quite a gamer.

The only thing I feel bad about it is that this season is gonna have only 9 episodes.
Oct 26, 2019 11:44 AM
Feb 2019
CHC said:
Kind of a recap but instead of replaying the scenes from the last season, it retells the story from the girls' perspectives and also gave us something new. It's pretty good. Totally a nostalgic show for me even though I was never quite a gamer.

The only thing I feel bad about it is that this season is gonna have only 9 episodes.
Yep, I guess the 3 ep ova is part of season 2.
Oct 26, 2019 4:47 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
What? Why is this starting up at 7.61? I was hoping that HSG could be head-to-head with Chihaya, F/GO or BnHA, what a disappointment.

Yes, half the chapter was some kind of recap; but that's how a good recap is done.

Well, I loved the episode, anyway.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Oct 26, 2019 6:44 PM

Jun 2015
TitanOfPlasma said:
What? Why is this starting up at 7.61? I was hoping that HSG could be head-to-head with Chihaya, F/GO or BnHA, what a disappointment.

Yes, half the chapter was some kind of recap; but that's how a good recap is done.

Well, I loved the episode, anyway.
You answered your own question. It just started.
Oct 26, 2019 7:34 PM

Oct 2015
I still don't understand why they're dragging this for too long, Hidaka has been losing and highly doubt she can win against Ōno.

This should've just taken a single season to conquer. Also the animation is still terrible.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 26, 2019 7:51 PM
Nov 2018
lihle808 said:
I still don't understand why they're dragging this for too long, Hidaka has been losing and highly doubt she can win against Ōno.

This should've just taken a single season to conquer. Also the animation is still terrible.

Naruto profile pic by the way, ironic isn't it.
Oct 26, 2019 9:34 PM

Oct 2017
The flashback scenes from Akira's perspective in the first half was really nostalgic.

The later half was quite funny. Hidaka is still mad at haruo but she looks so cute when sulking and that slap lol must have hurt.

Anyway both the Oono sisters and Hidaka are in Haruo's room, a storm's coming lol.
MegamiRemOct 26, 2019 9:39 PM
Oct 26, 2019 10:42 PM

Mar 2019
Nice startooooo , oh yes...

Also good OP & ED....

But only 9eps? wtf....

PS: DAT SLAP!!! was Critical Dmg, lol..
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Oct 26, 2019 11:47 PM

Jan 2017
I didn't remember older Oono at all. Lol at the heavy atmosphere in his room with both his girls thinking they were gonna get to monopolize him.

Enjoyable start, I'm glad it's back.
Mendokusai
Oct 27, 2019 1:33 AM

Feb 2014
This is one of my favorite moments from the series. Really enjoyable being in Oono's perspective and seeing her fall in love with video games.
AlenciaOct 27, 2019 3:15 AM
Oct 27, 2019 1:49 AM

Nov 2010
Naewanz said:
CHC said:

Yep, I guess the 3 ep ova is part of season 2.

Episode 13 to 15 were aired every Friday of this month and episode 16, this is the first episode of season 2, was aired the next Friday. So 12 episodes are going to be aired every Friday in a row. Actually, I didn't know episode 13 to 15 were OVA.
Oct 27, 2019 3:02 AM

May 2010
Superb episode.
Based on the ending I'm expecting something "extra".
Oct 27, 2019 3:38 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Awesome start! I'm so glad we're getting a 2nd Season of this!

Cool Op with really nice visual aesthetics and the song itself is quite nice! I like how they're keeping up the same theme as the first Op. Whereas the ED is a super song and the visuals are seriously curious-striking too! Is that an older version of Oono?

Man, Oono's sister is just fabulous and great props to the VA too! We finally got to see how she abandoned the responsibilities too, I figured it'd be something of this sort lol. Sweet little recap from Oono's perspective while connecting a few dots from the past, great stuff!

Second half was just as good really! Hidaka's shifted to Tsundere-y xD and those awkward moments were crazy hilarious, especially those silence moments xD. Haruo getting slapped twice too, lol he's definitely stacking up those slaps early up this season. Lol @ him casually eating snacks though *face palm*, gah I can't wait to see what'll happen next!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 27, 2019 5:58 AM
Feb 2018
So wait does that mean that this season only being 9 episodes + the first episode mostly being a eacap episode mean that the manga won't be finished this season and we'll have to wait for the eternal season 3 last season ending that we will never get.

Hopefully that doesn't happen....
Oct 27, 2019 6:17 AM

Dec 2015
Good episode. Not sure yet if the recap really was necessary - but seeing it from Oonos point of view was nice. (I think that's why they made this - to prepar for char development on her side.) A bit weird though that she was immediately that strong at arcade games. I think they want us to understand that the piano and koto stuff gave her skills in using the fingers. Then again some of those special moves need the correct combo. (Maybe she saw that from just watching.)

End was interesting with all the girls there and the older sister helping. I hope we get to hear Oonos voice and maybe some more of her point of view. Otherwise Haruo will have to "attack" or his mother will have to push him. :D

I doubt Hidaka will get relevant again as romance interest. Might help to encourage Oono though - if she notices her as rival and gets conscious of her own feelings.

Edit: I hope they'lll do a full adaption. Would be super weird to bait the fans with a 2nd season when the manga is finished ... just to stop having the need for another 1-cour 3rd season to complete it ... and then never doing that. Hopefully directly a "to be continued" at the end of this season if not everything is adapted by then.
Oct 27, 2019 7:17 AM
Sep 2013
9 episodes and the first is a recap - not a good look.
Oct 27, 2019 8:00 AM

May 2014
Great first episode. Reminded me how much i love this anime. Only 9 episodes is a shame, but i assume they're going to just adapt the rest of the manga to its end.
Oct 27, 2019 12:00 PM
Oct 2015
Great to see High Score Girl back in the fray; this season is just spectacular overall.

At 5:30, one of my favorite video games of all time (that is actually worth a decent amount despite its age and is hard to find) - Bubble Bobble. What an underrated gem...
Oct 27, 2019 12:27 PM
Feb 2009
Awesome high score girl is finally back the tension between Ono and Hidaka lol
Oct 27, 2019 1:06 PM

Mar 2014
very good that high score girl is back! almost half of the episode is akira flashback. and finally we come into shuraba!
but im a bit worried that all street scenes are pulled down to flash anime level, is it out of budget now?
Oct 27, 2019 2:45 PM

Dec 2016
Great first episode! ^^ I already missed this show <3

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Oct 27, 2019 3:28 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I was hyped so much for high score girl S2 but it was a so boring first episode, seriously a recap for a 9 eps season...
Oct 27, 2019 4:07 PM

Mar 2019
So its a 9 episodes season and the first one is hakf a recap, I feel disappointed
Hope we will have a real ep next time
Still very nice to watch tho
Oct 27, 2019 5:24 PM

May 2018
I can relate to Oono who choose heroes that less people playing it. There is an excitement there when you can prove that those heroes are worth to play.

I don't know why the 2nd season only got 9 episode, but since the war is technically over from the OVA, the only left is to make Oono and Yaguchi a couple.
Oct 27, 2019 5:56 PM

Nov 2013
what a BORING episode... not even the repetition of Oono punch made me laugh this time, yawn lol

also, 9 episodes? really?
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Oct 27, 2019 7:37 PM
Sep 2018
just can't wait for the next ep
Oct 27, 2019 7:54 PM

Sep 2013
That was a cute way to recap everything. And a tense way to conclude the ep lol.
Oct 27, 2019 8:53 PM

Jan 2019
really2 good episode tho, the way they recap this episode was actually clever, and boy 9 episode only is too short :(
Oct 27, 2019 10:47 PM
Mar 2015
It felt we were in a time warp viewing events from different perspectives almost at random
Oct 27, 2019 11:56 PM

Oct 2008
EPIC EPISODE!
so much awkwardness! it's suffocating even for me! it it was very exciting to watch! hahah!
5/5.
Thank God /anon/ has subbed this!!

Oct 28, 2019 5:09 PM

Jul 2017
Great to have this show back. Seems like a recap of sorts, even though this is after the Extra Stage OVAs which were supposedly to continue the story from where Season 1 left off. Even as I see fit as a Season 2 Episode 4 of sorts, this was a choice to see fit of rememberance.

Looks like the Oono household is too strained by THE SAME Mori-sensei "dictatorship" that the daughters are confined to. The older sister, too lazy to give up. But for Akira the younger sister, it's a heavy burden, and the arcade is her getaway.

AND REMEMBER, THAT'S ALL BEFORE she met Haruo.

After that, we all know how all that went. The love for arcades, forebearing the love-hate relationship between both of them. Plus not forgetting about rival Hidaka too.

Pretty wanting to expect more involvement in these 8 episodes!
Oct 28, 2019 7:07 PM

Sep 2017
felt like a recap episode with a dash of new season!
Oct 29, 2019 6:53 AM

Dec 2012
Was kinda confused in the flashback. She might be in elementary school but doesn't really seem that smaller compared to her higher school self lol.

Also she learned how to play in 1 sitting? Anyone that plays fighting games knows that is impossible.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Oct 29, 2019 1:15 PM
Jan 2019
Haruo's room is a time bomb, hahaha.
Oct 29, 2019 8:49 PM

Mar 2019
CHC said:

It was good to know how it all started for Ono, although nothing was a surprise -- except the part where we know the reason why she chose Zangief and all the big guys.

This is where something previously unseen happens: we get to know Akira Ono's thoughts, even if in a somewhat allegoric way through Zangief.

I totally dig Guile and Zangief in this series, btw
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Oct 30, 2019 11:02 PM
Nov 2010
Not a talky person on this site really, but this is the best 'next season' ep1 closing moment I can remember.
I know that's a little niche, but it got me in one instant.
Oct 30, 2019 11:27 PM

Sep 2016
I fell in love with Makoto from the beginning of the episode.

Da yo ne~~~ *trollface*
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Oct 31, 2019 11:14 AM

Nov 2017
I didn't think they could ever match up S1's op but damn i love the new op too.

I just hate the fact that i have to watch this on dumbass pirate sites where even the 1080p version looks like it was compressed by 2006 unregistered hypercam 3.
fuck you Netflix
Nov 1, 2019 11:58 PM

Feb 2014
Now this is the kind of recap episode/scenes I can get behind. Play around with the storytelling instead slapping scenes together like a bunch of lazy hacks.
Too bad this season has only 9 episodes, but I guess it's better than nothing.
TheSmilingShoujo said:
I fell in love with Makoto from the beginning of the episode.

Da yo ne~~~ *trollface*

The way she said all those "da yo ne" was funny as hell. It's like her VA was channeling some of her Oribe from Kill Me Baby.
Nov 3, 2019 9:03 PM
Jan 2016
Finally, High Score Girl is back!

It started with Onoo's past flashback, i kind afelt bad for how strick it was, and she managed to discouver arcades to get some enjoyment!

Also with flashback about Oono and Haruo relationship, it was really touching!

Hidaka appeared in second half, with a notable attitude towards Haruo!

Haruo's friend invited Hidaka to come with them to Haruo's house, who have guessed that Oono was there aswell! That tension in Haruo's bedroom was really intense, looking forward to see what Hidaka is planing to speak!

Btw, Also glad that oono have a litle more freedom!

Opening was nice, with same style a last season, Ending was also good!
Nov 5, 2019 12:05 AM

Oct 2010
Great episode and hidaka is still fighting for yaguchi. The ending cut destroyed me, can't wait for 2nd episode.
Nov 19, 2019 7:28 PM

Aug 2016
This is so fucking cute. Im so glad this show exists. I love that time goes by and they age.
Nov 27, 2019 7:45 PM

Sep 2017
Nice little flashback/back story to start. I thought it was so sweet how Haruo thought to get a snack for his mom when the plan was to get snacks for him and his friends to eat. Pretty weird spot to end the ep on tho.
Dec 8, 2019 10:00 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
That recap in the form of Ono's PoV was genius and darn adorable to see, a great reintroduction to what had previously happened.
I have only seen S1 in September, but it is good to see the show make and in full glory.
Laughed a lot with that ending.
Dec 23, 2019 8:22 PM
Aug 2017
I waited too long for this! Season 2 , firstly the opening has the same vibez and they added Hidaka into it this time!

Good start for 2nd season, though more things are going to happen now haha. Hidaka looks so much mature than Akira but damn im still conflicted about this cuz like they both good heroine but unfortunately for side girl she aint got no chance.

Akira’s sister is so cute too! Her personality is so wacky lmao
Jan 20, 2020 1:40 PM

Aug 2017
Wow, Koharu changed after some years. And we have a brief recap of s1 from Oono's point of view.

I hope that this season keep the quality from s1.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2019

128 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Jan 26, 10:02 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2019

41 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2019

41 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:02 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 15, 2019

36 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 4:26 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2019

78 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 3:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.