Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 9, 2019 9:43 AM
Sep 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm not quite convinced by some parts of the animation, but I'll keep watching to see how it goes.
Oct 9, 2019 9:54 AM
Sep 2015
Is this even watchable? The problem about distributor like Netflix or Amazon is that they give 100% right to director's vision, but the vision is just self-focus, mostly unpolished, and just screaming 'Hey I'm so artful! Loot at me westerners! Look at my artful traditional Japanese animation with all those uncensored violence, I'm not your usual fanservice otaku culture director! I'm a real deal!'.
Oct 9, 2019 10:08 AM
Sep 2013
phantomfandom said:
Is this even watchable? The problem about distributor like Netflix or Amazon is that they give 100% right to director's vision, but the vision is just self-focus, mostly unpolished, and just screaming 'Hey I'm so artful! Loot at me westerners! Look at my artful traditional Japanese animation with all those uncensored violence, I'm not your usual fanservice otaku culture director! I'm a real deal!'.

Well, it's a good animation compared to Netflix ones, which only few I can watch, but there are certain parts that I feel somewhat weird.
Oct 9, 2019 10:18 AM

Nov 2017
This is weird but good so far. But if there's a drop in animation in the next episodes the show might just get boring for me.
Oct 9, 2019 10:20 AM
Sep 2019
Guys can u tell me where I can watch this anime?
Oct 9, 2019 10:21 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Animation wasn't the best but that was expected from Liden Films i guess.
However... man that was a good first episode.
Feels good to see Hamasaki back.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 9, 2019 10:42 AM
Apr 2018
As someone who read the manga, the pacing was kinda fast. But not in a bad way. They delivered everything well. Hamasaki is really back!

It is now streaming on Amazon Prime Video. Please support it.
Oct 9, 2019 10:42 AM

Jul 2015
Are they rushing and skipping stuff?

Oct 9, 2019 10:52 AM

Aug 2017
Arjuna777 said:

probably since the anime will be adapting 30 volumes into 24 episodes
Oct 9, 2019 10:53 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
abk_ said:
Arjuna777 said:

They didnt confirm that they'd adapt all the manga in these 24 episodes.
We just know that we have at least 24 episodes so far.
They could announce more in the future to finish the adaptation
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 9, 2019 10:54 AM

Nov 2016
Kinda reminds me of Shiguri, just not quite as atmospheric.

Was an okaish start, not really intriguing yet, but it has potential.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 9, 2019 10:59 AM
Sep 2019

thanks buddy, I think now I'm gonna have to pay amazon stream to have a nice anime catalog
Oct 9, 2019 11:17 AM

Dec 2013
What an piece of art is this. Bloody hell.
Oct 9, 2019 11:28 AM

Aug 2017
DatRandomDude said:
abk_ said:

They didnt confirm that they'd adapt all the manga in these 24 episodes.
We just know that we have at least 24 episodes so far.
They could announce more in the future to finish the adaptation

they themselves said on the official site of the anime that it’ll adapt the entire manga and recently in the magazine this manga was published it was revealed it would have 24 episodes total.
Oct 9, 2019 12:11 PM

Apr 2019
all very vague, very average action scenes because there is barely choreography, only blood and nothing else.

I won't watch this anime anymore, dropped.
Oct 9, 2019 12:18 PM

Jul 2013
Okay, they managed to cram the first chapter (where Manji decides to kill 1000 criminals to atone for murdering 100 men), Anotsu attack on Rin's father dojo, Manji meeting Rin, and the fight against Sabato Kuroi in a single episode. This is not a good sign at all. I will wait till I watch the second episode to judge, but if they have rushed this much in just one episode, I can see them adapting the whole manga in 24 episodes, and that would be disastrous.

Other than that, my thoughts are:

-Kenjirou Tsuda and Ayane Sakura have done a very good job. Tsuda makes Manji sound older tbh (and his character design here also makes him look older than in the manga) but it is fine for me. Sakura was great, however, I'm glad she used a deeper range of what we usually hear of her, while not sounding too forced; she even sounded older than Rina Satou's performance in the 2008 anime. Her screams were on point too.
-From the brief scene where he talked, I like Anotsu's voice too.
-The visuals look solid. Action scenes were short, but I will wait for the longer battles to come before judging.
-The character designs still look a bit off to me compared to the manga/old anime, but I loved Rin's face of anguish when it was revealed that Kuroi has the head of her mother in one of his shoulders, my favorite part of the episode.
-I didn't like how they portrayed Kuroi's poem, I liked more how the old anime did them, with Kuroi (and Rin when she showed him her poem) singing the lyrics, instead of just reciting them like it happened here.
-Manji's swastika censoring was kinda dumb, but it's no big deal.

Well, still having some hopes for this being adapted in four cours, hopefully they are just going to rush the first arc to adapt the other three arcs properly, but I don't have high expectations, sadly.
Oct 9, 2019 12:52 PM
Sep 2016
FMmatron said:

This has the same director as Shigurui.
Oct 9, 2019 12:57 PM

Nov 2016
TrevRockOne said:
FMmatron said:

This has the same director as Shigurui.

No wonder the sound effects and the whole atmosphere that was tried to created felt so similar.

And fuck my auto correct.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 9, 2019 1:20 PM

Feb 2016
phantomfandom said:

It's a violent samurai manga, why shouldn't the director make it look violent lol
Oct 9, 2019 1:21 PM
Sep 2016
Well after some thought I can say that that was a let down
1.1.Six
Oct 9, 2019 3:21 PM

Jul 2017
Not really a big fan of the animation especially during the fight scenes. Some still frames looked like they were from Lain lol

But I like the story idea, almost reminds me of Dororo in a sense (at least the whole adventure aspect of it)
Oct 9, 2019 4:30 PM

May 2015
FMmatron said:

Definitely has some major Shigurui vibes, oh just saw it has the same director...that would explain that
billybubOct 9, 2019 4:37 PM
Oct 9, 2019 4:41 PM

May 2015
phantomfandom said:

Gonna assume you've never seen anything Hamasaki has directed
Oct 9, 2019 7:18 PM

Dec 2018
Damnnn this looks cool. The art is pretty good as well. Also, did anyone else notice that the MC has the same voice actor as Joker, from Fire Force?
Oct 9, 2019 10:04 PM
Jul 2017
Yeah. It’s definitely got that Texhnolyze/Shigurui feel to it with it being the same director and all.
Oct 10, 2019 2:17 AM
Jan 2019
From an anime-only (for now) watcher,it has good vibes and the atmosphere but I dunno...some of the cuts were a bit too artsy,almost epilepsy inducing. I'll keep watching cuz I'm a sucker for samurai and feudal Japan stuff but something,I can't yet put my finger on,doesn't sit well with me.

Also,as someone above said,if they even try to cram 30 volumes into 24 eps and it goes well,that would be a miracle. Banana fish had 24 eps and 19 volumes of content and even that felt a bit rushed. So this in danger of being a speed-run slideshow after some time.
Nutella71Oct 10, 2019 2:20 AM
Oct 10, 2019 2:21 AM
Sep 2019
Seems interesting so far. I don’t know how to feel about the animation but the voice acting is good.
Oct 10, 2019 2:41 AM

Jul 2017
WELL...for one proclaiming that this will be a full adaptation, it's hard to judge at this point but we'll see.

With the last TV series being 10 years ago (and only a loosely adapted one), this was a surprise, and with it being on Amazon Prime, it's hardly anyone will notice this series.

Incredibly gory is what I see, adapted Chapter 1 in it's entirely. A 2nd try I'll see.
Oct 10, 2019 6:47 AM

Nov 2014
Okay, it's been a minute since I've been legit shocked by an anime. That was hard af. And good. What differentiates the righteous from evil? It asked then promptly answered that question. The source manga is finished. With 24 episodes listed, we may get a full adaptation. Or at least an adaptation with an ending.

5/5
Oct 10, 2019 9:48 AM

May 2018
This is Maou-sama's true form xD
Oct 10, 2019 9:51 AM

May 2018
COOKIECAT360 said:
Damnnn this looks cool. The art is pretty good as well. Also, did anyone else notice that the MC has the same voice actor as Joker, from Fire Force?

He voice acts many good characters, even characters not from anime.

For example Sam from Death Stranding
Oct 10, 2019 11:21 AM

Oct 2013
The art and direction are pretty good, but the lack of animation is distracting.
Oct 10, 2019 3:00 PM

Nov 2014
I got 3 minutes in and the flickering and reluctance to show a whole scene was really bothering me, does it continue with that same style all the way through?
Oct 10, 2019 3:18 PM

May 2015
Choostopher said:
I got 3 minutes in and the flickering and reluctance to show a whole scene was really bothering me, does it continue with that same style all the way through?

Its directed by the the same person who did Shigurui and Texhnolyze so more than likely yes. I personally love his style but can definitely see where some people find it off putting.
Oct 10, 2019 3:22 PM

Dec 2018
Byniavo said:
COOKIECAT360 said:

He voice acts many good characters, even characters not from anime.

For example Sam from Death Stranding

Wow, I didn't know that...
Oct 10, 2019 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
Is this a remake of Blade of the Immortal from 2008 or is there going to be something different in this adaptation?
Oct 10, 2019 8:42 PM

Nov 2011
JustAnAnimeList said:
Is this a remake of Blade of the Immortal from 2008 or is there going to be something different in this adaptation?

it's the same story of the manga, but being told by other people so there's different choice of what scenes to use and how they're portrayed. The biggest difference seems to be going till the end with the story instead of ending halfway through like the older anime
Oct 10, 2019 8:59 PM

Jul 2016
Well, not much to say if I'm honest. It was as fucked up (and almost absurd) as I expected it to be.

A bit rushed start overall. The animation was... OK I guess. Since there was barely any choreography during the fights, I can't give a proper observation. I wonder whether the other confrontations will have this same approach or not.
Oct 10, 2019 9:55 PM
Oct 2019
Okay, very bad idea to watch this on a tv screen and lights off lmao jesus my eyes, all the colorful flashes bouta give me epilepsy.

Did any of you watch this with lights off?
Oct 10, 2019 10:14 PM
Feb 2018
This show just feels, Mehhhhhh. It just seems like an anime with questionable animation and rushed story telling. Considering a lot of shows have some of their best animation in the first and last few episodes, its got me a bit worried for the upcoming episodes in the middle.
Oct 11, 2019 12:59 AM
Jun 2009
I am an anime-only here and have to say I haven´t watched the older version too. So I base my opinion only on what I saw. I like the art style it is looking good. But my God, the fight scenes are shit. Choreography is non-existent and camera movements are frustrating. As I said before I do not know what is the pace in the manga, but here it felt rushed. It is not bad and definitely has the potential to be a good gory samurai story. For now it is OK.
Oct 11, 2019 2:34 AM

Aug 2016
I'm a huge Shigurui (anime and manga) + Steins;Gate fanboy and the PV was already screaming Shigurui in many plans.
Will start it today, hope i won't be disappointed.
Oct 11, 2019 7:07 AM

Dec 2009
This manga will never be properly adapted. This is better than the other adaptation, but the pacing is awful, it's way too dark, the cg sticks out a lot, the manji is censored as expected and most important, the executions are way too flat, they don't translate at all the beauty of the originals.

Oct 11, 2019 9:56 AM
Jul 2019
interesting episode, I expected the battles to be a little more elaborated, I hope that change in the next episodes.
Oct 11, 2019 11:47 AM

Feb 2017
I enjoyed it. I love Hamasaki's direction. Let's see how it goes.
Oct 11, 2019 3:00 PM

Nov 2014
billybub said:
Choostopher said:

Its directed by the the same person who did Shigurui and Texhnolyze so more than likely yes. I personally love his style but can definitely see where some people find it off putting.

My thanks for the reply, doesn’t look like my sort of Anime then (even if it’s loved by others.)
Oct 11, 2019 7:18 PM

Feb 2013
phantomfandom said:

They don't give "100% to the director" or anything. Both just buy the exclusive streaming rights from the committee.
Oct 11, 2019 10:15 PM
Mar 2016
Ok this was a lot better than what some people here are making it out to be.

Animation was good but I fear it will get worse later, if it does I'll pick up the manga but for now , I really like it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 5 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Oct 30, 2019

23 by Apreggi »»
Apr 24, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 4 Discussion

Rider9530 - Oct 23, 2019

38 by Apreggi »»
Apr 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JustAnotherShiro - Oct 16, 2019

80 by Apreggi »»
Apr 21, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Joseahfer - Oct 9, 2019

61 by Apreggi »»
Apr 19, 11:28 PM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 9 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Nov 27, 2019

27 by BrianaBird »»
Apr 8, 8:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.