Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2019 9:49 AM

May 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was a good episode, but is it me or this show is kind of episodic so far?
Oct 23, 2019 10:07 AM

Nov 2014
Best episode so far imo. It's always nice when antagonist has some character instead of being just a bad guy.
Oct 23, 2019 10:16 AM

Feb 2011
Pretty good episode, I must say the story is still pretty confusing at times and I can't quite put my finger on why it feels this way. The super quick cuts during action scenes make a return this week as well *sigh*
Oct 23, 2019 10:36 AM

Feb 2016
Hatsuyuki said:
Pretty good episode, I must say the story is still pretty confusing at times and I can't quite put my finger on why it feels this way. The super quick cuts during action scenes make a return this week as well *sigh*

The pace itself isn't good everything is rushed af so I'd recommend reading the manga to understand it better cuz lots of dialogues and action scenes had been deleted and if they're adapting the whole manga in one season they'll most likely skip an arc to cram the most important chapters/scenes which will lose its reason for being important but so far I'm just enjoying myself with its unique atmosphere and direction...
Oct 23, 2019 10:51 AM
Jun 2015
Pnbn said:
Hatsuyuki said:

The pace itself isn't good everything is rushed af so I'd recommend reading the manga to understand it better cuz lots of dialogues and action scenes had been deleted and if they're adapting the whole manga in one season they'll most likely skip an arc to cram the most important chapters/scenes which will lose its reason for being important but so far I'm just enjoying myself with its unique atmosphere and direction...
This episode adapt only 2 chapters, was the best so far knowing how to balance pace.
Oct 23, 2019 1:15 PM

May 2018
Not much of an episode..........................
Oct 23, 2019 3:05 PM

Jul 2013
I liked the episode, they showed the reason why Anotsu respects Makie and they adapted his confrontation with Rin quite well (though I slightly prefer the version of the first anime, all things said). Only weird thing I have to say is that they adapted this before the confrontation with
but I hope they will adapt it next episode.
I also find strange that they adapted Abayama's flashback at this point, since it happens way later in the story. I guess they tried to show how Anotsu ascended to be the head of the Itto-Ryu, but doing so from the point of view of a character that hasn't appeared yet was a bit jarring. Well, nothing too important.

I chuckled a bit when I heard Yuuki Kaji voicing young Anotsu, not gonna lie. Anotsu's voice (as an adult) is of my liking, but I don't like Abayama's voice too much, it sounds too generic.
Oct 23, 2019 4:15 PM

Nov 2013
to me this was quite boring tbh
only served to show the main girl how weak she is (again and again), and to slightly introduce the guy she wants to kill , did that really need a full episode?
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Oct 23, 2019 7:52 PM
Mar 2015
Interesting that she is trying to take revenge against someone who took revenge for his grandfather his attitude was interesting He did not hate her father but wanted peace for his grandfather's soul He saw no reason to kill her Does he really qualify as an evil man for our protagonist 's body count?
Oct 23, 2019 7:53 PM
Jun 2017
Why did this anime jump from ~6,05 to 7.55 in just two weeks?
Oct 23, 2019 9:27 PM

Mar 2019
That was my favorite episode yet even though it didn't have much in terms of battles. I liked the conversation between Rin and Kagehisa. And, the ending scenes were pretty good too.
Oct 24, 2019 3:01 AM

Dec 2018
It was the most boring episode so far .Back story's and stuff are important but they could have a better pace ..But still overall I enjoy this anime
Oct 24, 2019 4:09 AM

Jul 2017
The arc of Rin's Bane is adapted spanning only 2 chapters. Other than all that other stuff being filler and such, welp that is the power struggle within the Itto-Ryu.

Despite the good pacing, this was meant as a means to show that Rin has still aways to go in being alongside Manji in his conquest.

And meeting Anotsu Kagehisa, the successor to the Itto-Ryu, knowing that he slain her grandfather over trivial issues, Rin is hell bent on revenge, but forgetting the way of the Samurai at the same time. Like "why try so hard to pursue her killer"?

Definitely an intriguing episode towards the Edo Period that is the way of the Samurai and family conflicts burn hard.
Oct 24, 2019 5:28 AM

May 2018
not bad, I can actually follow the action now xD
Oct 24, 2019 6:43 AM
Oct 24, 2019 7:45 AM
May 2016
Hatsuyuki said:
Pretty good episode, I must say the story is still pretty confusing at times...

At times? I was confused the whole episode, didn't realize those were flashbacks, just how old is Makie?
Oct 24, 2019 7:46 AM

May 2018

Look's good, lets hope that the series will be better and better each episode.
Oct 24, 2019 7:57 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Paulotronator said:

Because people are coming around to the fact that this is a show with many extremely positive qualities? If your average pantsu or moeblob anime get a 7,5, why cant this?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 24, 2019 1:51 PM

May 2016
This show is so FUCKING stunning

Honestly could be my AOTY if it keeps on like this. Each episode is getting me so entirely captivated and lost. How they're each exploring their themes so well, and with so much well-paced and thoughtful commentary and imagery... And the general direction, visuals, and soundtrack... I really want to rewatch all of them already.
Man this is a project and a half.

It's such a shame to me that it doesn't look like many manga readers will be able to look past what they're cutting out. Cutting material really shouldn't be seen as a bad thing by default. Different adaptations each have different ambitions and limitations (the second being a perhaps sad truth). And cutting stuff out DOESN'T AT ALL mean they can't still do the material (characters, themes and everything) justice.
And being transformative wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either.

ZaugrOct 24, 2019 2:10 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2019 2:28 PM

Mar 2016
Excellent character development relative to the time period.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Oct 24, 2019 6:00 PM
Jan 2019
BLADE
A revealing episode about Muten Ichi-ryu and Itto-ryu. I was really surprised by Rin's sudden encounter with Kagehisa and the connection their families have. He is a very complicated man, I somehow understood why he killed Rin's father and his search for a different style of handling the "sword" without losing sight of his path as a warrior, those are the foundations of Itto-ryu, or At least I understood that ... although that does not justify the heinous acts he has committed in order to fulfill his objective.
Rin will be confused after hearing all this, what decision she will make now.

Ps: So, Kagehisa fell in love with Makie because she saved her life when she was young. His grandfather went crazy.
Oct 24, 2019 6:01 PM
Jan 2019
A revealing episode about Muten Ichi-ryu and Itto-ryu. I was really surprised by Rin's sudden encounter with Kagehisa and the connection their families have. He is a very complicated man, I somehow understood why he killed Rin's father and his search for a different style of handling the "sword" without losing sight of his path as a warrior, those are the foundations of Itto-ryu, or At least I understood that ... although that does not justify the heinous acts he has committed in order to fulfill his objective.
Rin will be confused after hearing all this, what decision she will make now.

Ps: So, Kagehisa fell in love with Makie because she saved her life when she was young. His grandfather went crazy.
Oct 24, 2019 9:33 PM

Oct 2008
The history of Anotsu gets more complicated and as well as some revelation as to why he killed Rin's father...
4/5.

Oct 24, 2019 10:28 PM

Jul 2016
So... let's say I "understand" Kagehisa's reasons to kill Rin's father. But why letting his subordinates gang rape Rin's mother in front of her tho?...

Overall, it was better than the messy previous episode but unfortunately, the story still doesn't make me feel anything for the characters nor their motivations. That said, at least I'm glad the leader of the "Itto-ryu" has some depth as a character instead of just being your average super evil type of antagonist.

P.S.: Ohhh, so that was Makie at the beginning of the episode... yeah, they should have included that scene in the previous episode, not here.
Oct 25, 2019 6:59 AM
Feb 2017
Hatsuyuki said:

i doubt the super quick cuts will ever go away. it is clearly not a lack of funding or animation time that they are there it is on perpus and is the stile they are going for. so i would HIGHLY suspect that it will not change...
Oct 25, 2019 7:04 AM
Feb 2017
Gabisu said:
Pnbn said:

This episode adapt only 2 chapters, was the best so far knowing how to balance pace.

Yah the pacing isn't bad. the reason the story is hard to fallow somtimes is becouse it is vary deep and leave a lot of inturpitation to the. audience it is meant to be somting you watch and then think about yourself it is not a casual watch were you should expect to get all the ancers like most shonin. if you want to understand whats going on you need to pay close attention and think about even the small things that people say in passing as almost all lines of diolong are infering to somthing even if it dose not say so or is never explained. i feel like this is the type of show you could watch a few itmes and still get more out of even after the second or therd watch.
Oct 26, 2019 3:06 AM

Jul 2016
matias067 said:
The history of Anotsu gets more complicated and as well as some revelation as to why he killed Rin's father...
4/5.

I likid his back story. Was the girl from the start the girl from last episode?
Oct 27, 2019 5:38 PM
Jul 2019
What an awful animation.
Oct 28, 2019 2:56 PM

Apr 2016
To be honest, this episode was boring. However I think this series need time to start for real, so I don’t want to be negative about it.
Oct 29, 2019 3:05 PM

Jan 2013
It started off really boring with that whole Rin and Kagehisa fight, but it picked up in the latter parts. The backstory of Kagehisa was quite intriguing, and it showed that he has other motives than just avenging his grandfather.

The animation is kinda bad though
Oct 29, 2019 4:11 PM

Jul 2017
Well, no oddly directed fight scenes this time. Have to say though, main villain looks pretty kewl
Oct 31, 2019 7:37 PM

Dec 2016
Farabeuf said:
Paulotronator said:

Because people are coming around to the fact that this is a show with many extremely positive qualities? If your average pantsu or moeblob anime get a 7,5, why cant this?

Ah, the typical fanboy butthurt retort, using some other kind of shows as a metric rather than being straight and point out the alleged "extremely positive qualities" (read this on a sarcastic and condescendant way) on to wich you didn't point out exactly what is it, just barfed a generic praise that can be dropped anywhere without any real evidence.

Lets get real, the only reason the score has jumped is because edge fanboys are more aware this show is viceral and it's the shit they love, not because it has "extremely positive qualities" in it's narrative and/or muddy cinematography (lets not even get into it's ridiculously cheap animation with tons of quick jumps)

Just to finish off your dumb retort, please post any CGDCT show this season that goes avobe the 7.0 score threshhold this season.
Nov 1, 2019 2:27 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Kimurah said:
Farabeuf said:

Ah, the typical fanboy butthurt retort, using some other kind of shows as a metric rather than being straight and point out the alleged "extremely positive qualities" (read this on a sarcastic and condescendant way) on to wich you didn't point out exactly what is it, just barfed a generic praise that can be dropped anywhere without any real evidence.

Lets get real, the only reason the score has jumped is because edge fanboys are more aware this show is viceral and it's the shit they love, not because it has "extremely positive qualities" in it's narrative and/or muddy cinematography (lets not even get into it's ridiculously cheap animation with tons of quick jumps)

Just to finish off your dumb retort, please post any CGDCT show this season that goes avobe the 7.0 score threshhold this season.
[quote=Kimurah]
Farabeuf said:
Paulotronator said:

Triggered,lol.

I don’t do discussions with people who use the expression “edgelord” They generally have nothing of value to add to any discussion so knock yourself out and write another little diatribe down here. I won’t be reading it anyway.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 16, 2019 3:22 PM

Oct 2010
I really hope Anotsu will get killed. Revenge for Rin, that's what I'm after, I don't care about his backstory, Rin's father wasn't guilty, I hope he dies like a rat. I like this anime a lot.
Mar 10, 2020 6:01 AM
Apr 2016
Certainly an interesting man he is. Seeing Rin like that was slightly painful, though.
Mar 28, 2020 6:20 AM

Jun 2016
It’s a real shame but even when this anime ends up being paced in a way I can keep up with like this one, I find myself getting bored. I liked the meeting with Anotsu, the early look into who he is, and his interactions with Rin, discussing his motivations, seeing his past, understanding the duty he was following, having discussions on revenge and why Rin is left standing. I liked the narrative structure here, but geez I just can’t tap into caring about it. The characters haven't gripped me, thematic ideas go by too quick for my brain to soak in, and the story isn't all that interesting for me either. As much as I waited gleefully to start this series assuming it’d be something for me, it doesn’t seem like it. It was worth a shot and now I know the artist from the opening which I adore so I got that from it!

As someone here said, this is the kind of anime where things aren’t exactly clear and due to that I’d much rather read it as a novel or a manga, something I could ruminate on each line, think about, and paint a more holistic picture. As it is now, I can't help but feel like I’m wasting my time, not necessarily because the anime is bad but rather it’s not the kind of thing I enjoy seeing in motion.

I do recall Digibro once saying that sticking with difficult media can have a big pay off but I'm not in the mood despite this anime being one that seems perfect for the job.
Apr 16, 2020 2:16 AM

Jul 2015
Was a bit confused who the kid was at the start but seeing the rest of the episode cleared that up. Also nice to see how he encountered makie from last episode, damn she is a beast for killing those animals
Damn Kagehisa went from being the whelp to becoming the master, kind of interesting to hear his view and goals but still doesn't really justify what he did

Feb 6, 2021 9:00 PM

Jun 2020
for me, I think that the pace of the story line is adequate enough to get the main idea of what's going on. of course it's not going to line up with the manga completely. besides, there's only so much that can be covered within a season or two.

I really enjoyed this episode a lot. I find myself becoming more attracted to Manji as the show progresses. I fall too easily for the antihero. But honesty, who can resist a guy that gets dismembered and puts himself back together? I can't wait to move on to the next episode
Apr 21, 10:36 AM
Jul 2023
Best one so far.
- I am realising how fucked the pacing of the original anime was. This makes so much more sense being episode 4
- Anotsu is so much more likeable in this version, I’m glad they took the time to properly explain him.
- I wonder what’s next?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 5 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Oct 30, 2019

23 by Apreggi »»
Yesterday, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JustAnotherShiro - Oct 16, 2019

80 by Apreggi »»
Apr 21, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Joseahfer - Oct 9, 2019

61 by Apreggi »»
Apr 19, 11:28 PM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Joseahfer - Oct 9, 2019

81 by Apreggi »»
Apr 19, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 9 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Nov 27, 2019

27 by BrianaBird »»
Apr 8, 8:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.