Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 1, 2019 12:17 AM

Jul 2013
I've seen some people on Twitter, Facebook, etc. say that it's time to gatekeep anime because the "normies" and "SJWs" are getting hold of it. Do you want anime to stay niche? This isn't the first time it happened though. Even gamers had this moment when the Gamergate controversy happened. Growing popularity obviously comes with its own consequences. The good thing about anime though is that Japan barely gives a shit about what foreigners think so the changes brought by becoming mainstream might not be that drastic. What is your opinion on gatekeeping anime?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 1, 2019 12:19 AM

Jul 2012
The only acceptable form of gatekeeping is showing them something so recognizably bad that they'll never come back, and not like memey bad like it has to be legit terrible. Don't want to deal with any so bad it's good scenarios.
Oct 1, 2019 12:30 AM

Jun 2016
I don't care as long as japan doesn't cave in to the demands of normalfags which they probably won't since their domestic audience is their main focus.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 1, 2019 1:02 AM

Jan 2013
I feel myself transitioning away from a devoted stance in the medium more and more every year - so I don't really care enough anymore to invest that kind of energy. Idk, my perspective of anime wholly as a storytelling medium has stagnated pretty hard for a while now..

Ask yourself, is there anything anime can do that some other stage couldn't? Largely, no. If that's the case, why "gatekeep" to begin with?
Oct 1, 2019 1:05 AM

Dec 2015
Stupid thing only elitists or hardcore fans would do. We can get more money for the anime producers if more people start to like anime. Overall a good amount of greater showas - because the overall amount of shows will increase.

Yes there is a lot of crap produced. But we had that already years ago. Only that years ago the harem/moe stuff was the main thing and nowadays fanbase seems more critical in regards to plot and the focus is mainly on animation ... which is good unless you mainly like harem and stuff with weak plot. :D

(In fact I still like mediocre plot as long as it is okay and I like the characters. Noticed the scores to be more like 6 instead of 7 but you can just ignore the score cause that does not influence the production. There is also a fanbase in Japan and still the thing of anime being made to advertise source material.)
Oct 1, 2019 1:13 AM
Jul 2018
I used to when I was younger, I would always call Naruto kids posers and "fake fans" or whatever but now I don't give a shit. Honestly, the more the merrier. I'm honestly a little bit guilty of trying to get other people into anime, lmao.

I don't understand the fear of the entire medium of Japanese animation ~being ruined by teh normies~ because it's getting more mainstream in the west. Anime is a diverse medium and there are many different types of shows that can appeal to many different types of people. No change would even be necessary because a multitude of anime already appeal to just about everyone. Not to mention anime was already close to mainstream before during the early 2000's anime bubble. and nothing really came out of it aside from a lot of animesque American cartoons and a few co-productions.

I may as well gatekeep the people in this thread then... Did you all not remember the anime bubble period? How is now any different?

I'm sorry but like "bring back gatekeeping" is the most moronic reactionary thing I've heard, and most of the people that say shit like that are new to anime to begin with and are in no position to talk. If they weren't, they'd know ~teh normies~ watching anime was a thing during the bubble period and nothing happened. And if you go to any anime convention, you'll know that the anime fandom has been one of the most diverse and accepting communities there is for a while now, and it saddens me that so many reactionary assholes claiming to be "fans" are trying to ruin that, though thankfully it's only an internet phenomenon and they don't go to cons. The only people anime needs to be gatekept from are these assholes trying to worm their way into our spaces and make the fandom toxic and unwelcoming.
removed-userOct 1, 2019 2:36 AM
Oct 1, 2019 1:15 AM

Mar 2015
Gatekeeping anything is stupid. Anime becoming more mainstream is a good thing for the industry as a whole. And as other's have said, Japan doesn't seem to give a fuck about what the west thinks so dw weebs your half naked high school girls aren't being taken away.
Oct 1, 2019 1:30 AM

May 2018
Gatekeeping is wrong even as thought - telling people what to do without them asking you in the first place...

But yeah, there are some extreme cases when you should step in and say "No Avatar and Castlevania are not anime.", "No, a taiwanese puppet show written by Gen Urobuchi and dubed in japanese doesn't count as anime.", "No matter how good is Mo Dao Zu Shi, it's not the quality that makes it anime or not but it's cultural identity. This show is totally chinese thus really interesting.".

People refuse to accept such a simple concept.

Sometimes the rest of the terminology also needs protection.
alshuOct 1, 2019 1:48 AM
Oct 1, 2019 5:45 AM

Feb 2019
There are anime that are gonna stay niche no matter what. Stuff like BnHA, AOT, SAO is already too popular and mainstream.
There are normies in YouTube comments section who scream about how they relate to hachiman all the time. Majority of people in my country who are familiar with term 'anime' think that DB series is greatest in existance.
I don't think there is anything one can do about it. In fact it is a good thing financially. Also stuff like yuri will stay niche anyway.
Oct 1, 2019 5:57 AM

Oct 2010
Gatekeeping or not, anime is going threw censoring. Didn't you find it weird that they love to show panties, tits, sex acts, blood, gore, incest (with teens) and other stuff but they would die if they showed a anime teen smoking or drinking alcohol.
I don't know where are going with anime, I can't envision what will happen 10 years from now, lack of imagination.
Oct 1, 2019 6:06 AM

Feb 2017
If gatekeeping means for people who willing to change its culture and community since it's wrong by their standard or considered wrong according to "western culture" despite Japan never have problem whatsoever with it and it's already that way since day one, yeah we should. And yeah I don't mind if people just want to join the hype-train and have fun
Oct 1, 2019 6:07 AM
Jul 2018
New non-niche and non-fetish anime are very careful so as not to be offensive and be as inclusive as possible for Japanese standards.

That does not represent anime as a whole of course but this is a better gateway than introducing them to some ultraviolent stuff like Gantz,that would turn many newcomers off. Even Jojo s1 suffered because it stuck to 80s tropes that don't sit favourably with newer generations.

Oct 1, 2019 6:11 AM

Jan 2018
I think they can try to make something better if more people would watch anime so they get more money. I think it's safe for anime to go big, unless they start to censor things worst than sony did then gatekeep all you can.

I mean, even if they stop creating anime I still have at least 500 good anime left to watch right. Oh yea, visual novel is waiting too.
Oct 1, 2019 11:15 AM

Apr 2015
hazecloud said:
I think it's safe for anime to go big, unless they start to censor things worst than sony did then gatekeep all you can.

Sony got more anime rights lately, so expect a lot of anime censorship. (sadly)
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Oct 1, 2019 11:43 AM

Aug 2010
I understand the frustrations about being looked at negatively for your interest just for everyone to 180 and now think its cool, but people should just be happy that they can share their interest with more people than before. Maybe even introduce them to some classics.
Plus you get to be a hipster about it, and what's better than talking down to others!?
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Oct 1, 2019 11:57 AM

Oct 2017
I follow a lot of accounts on Twitter that spread the #BringBackGatekeeping hashtag. And I spread it myself.

Iyashikei did an article on it related to this issue which covers some of the mindset and the concerns that many anime fans have:
https://iyashikei.moe/blog/2019/9/6/anime-isnt-for-everyone

The thing is, a lot of people are going to misinterpret the mindset going on here. The hashtag is NOT meant to be about elitism like stopping casual or new fans or anything like that.

The BringBackGatekeeping hashtag is about sending a message related to what it means to be an anime fan and to be part of the culture. The mindset is one that is pro-community. It's quite simple. People who want to change anime, who villify fans for what they like, who spread hatred and judgmental attitudes for elements of the community, are not welcome. This includes those elitists who gatekeep by saying casuals who only watch the big popular stuff aren't "real" anime fans, which is a bad form of gatekeeping. The mindset I'm talking about and most people using the hashtag are talking about is fundamentally inclusive. It's about preserving a varied, accepting, open-minded community culture. It is a response to hateful people, negative, anti-community attitudes.

If someone joins a club of people who are really in to pizza, but then spends time in that community space shouting obnoxiously about how half the people in the club are bad people for liking pepperoni, and how all pepperoni should be banned from pizza, well... are they really a fan of pizza? That club has every right, and good reason, you exclude that person.

I see some people in this thread and on MAL in general all the time, who quite clearly are exactly these harmful elements. It's one thing to prefer certain things in anime over other things. But the amount of people who spread hate, who angrily, viciously rail against the things they percieve as lesser, should not be welcomed.
YossaRedMageOct 1, 2019 1:23 PM
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Oct 1, 2019 11:59 AM

Sep 2019
literally who cares most people know what anime is anyways
Oct 1, 2019 12:25 PM

Mar 2019
Stoopid idea, anime becoming more known is great for everyone. People who used to be outsiders in schools that watch anime can talk to many other people bout anime and makes their day even better, imo
Oct 1, 2019 1:05 PM

Jul 2016
I fully agree that becoming more popular comes with the territory of idiots criticizing the medium. I feel its a trade-off that's worth it. Anime getting more attention is definitely going to be better for distributors and people who want legit and physical stuff outside of Japan. And Japan really really doesn't care about what the West thinks about anime. I mean, they just flipped the bird on the UN and it was awesome. Only fans in the West will have to deal with the ensuing sh*tstorm if anime reaches those levels of popularity.

tl;dr gatekeeping for those reasons is a stupid idea
Oct 1, 2019 1:14 PM
May 2019
It's a dumb idea you can't really prevent people from watching anime or talking about it. The more mainstream anime becomes the better that would mean that more anime fans can experience it and enjoy it.
To me this sounds like fear mongering, anime is made by the Japanese for the Japanese and I don't think they are going to change it just to appeal small minority in the west any time soon.
Oct 1, 2019 1:18 PM

Oct 2017
wangon said:
Stoopid idea, anime becoming more known is great for everyone. People who used to be outsiders in schools that watch anime can talk to many other people bout anime and makes their day even better, imo

The internet has made it possible for the outsiders to talk to each other for a long time.

The new wave of anime fans are the exact people that excluded those outsiders in school. Except for now, instead of bullying anyone who likes anime, they are bullying fans of moe, CGDCT, fan service etc. We don't want those people in the community space.

raisin-kun said:
I fully agree that becoming more popular comes with the territory of idiots criticizing the medium. I feel its a trade-off that's worth it. Anime getting more attention is definitely going to be better for distributors and people who want legit and physical stuff outside of Japan. And Japan really really doesn't care about what the West thinks about anime. I mean, they just flipped the bird on the UN and it was awesome. Only fans in the West will have to deal with the ensuing sh*tstorm if anime reaches those levels of popularity.

tl;dr gatekeeping for those reasons is a stupid idea

Why is more money for distributors a good thing? We want more money for the animators, the directors, the sound designers and all the other actually creative people. There is plenty of variety and amount of anime being made, so there is no good argument that there needs to be more money for the companies, the CEOs, and all the other people that make money from the creativity of others. That is where the increased money in the industry will go. In fact, as companies get bigger and more and more big money group start converging on anime like vultures, the little guy is only going to be squeezed more. Conditions for animators have no improved as anime has grown in popularity, if anything they've got worse. There needs to be a change in how the money get distributed in the industry, sure, but more money in the industry in general will only line the pockets of CEOs, shareholdrs etc.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that Japan doesn't care what the west thinks about anime. The VN market has been and continues to be influenced by restrictive, paranoid censorship standards on Steam. The Japanese may be unwilling to change their laws, but as the amount of money to be made from the western market increases, there will definitely be changes in the content due to censorious attitudes.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 1, 2019 1:19 PM

May 2009
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
I've seen some people on Twitter, Facebook, etc. say that it's time to gatekeep anime because the "normies" and "SJWs" are getting hold of it. Do you want anime to stay niche? This isn't the first time it happened though. Even gamers had this moment when the Gamergate controversy happened. Growing popularity obviously comes with its own consequences. The good thing about anime though is that Japan barely gives a shit about what foreigners think so the changes brought by becoming mainstream might not be that drastic. What is your opinion on gatekeeping anime?
Frankly speaking, anime already isn't "niche" in the sense that the fandom is far bigger than any social grouping where we can really get to know each other on a personal level simply from sharing anime as an interesting. It's still niche in the sense that it's not considered something that everyone knows about (unlike, say, local professional sports teams), but it's a recognizable thing (mainly due to its aesthetic style) to most people even if they're not into it.

"Anime" as a medium is so varied and broad and encompasses so many tastes that, even among people who are very well-versed in the medium (and thus would pass any gatekeeping attempt), we have people with vastly different tastes, who watch almost entirely different sets of shows, and enjoy them for very different reasons.

If one wants a tight-knit community and is looking to keep anime "niche" in order to form that, that's not going to work. It makes more sense to find a subgroup of anime fans who share one's tastes in anime and/or one's way/style of enjoying anime. Then one can actually have more meaningful conversations. Entire-fandom communities like this tend to get a lot of meaningless sniping, snapping, memes, hype and hype-ignoring (with or without bashing), and so on -- not much sense of community.

Also, with regards to "Japan barely gives a shit about what foreigners think", this "gatekeeping" stuff is really basically about about westerners' social experience with the hobby. The argument that somehow anime becoming more "mainstream" will somehow ruin the works that get produced doesn't hold water since as long as there's a niche to be served there will be someone trying to serve it.
GlennMagusHarveyOct 1, 2019 1:25 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 1, 2019 1:19 PM

Dec 2012
I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 1, 2019 1:22 PM

Oct 2017
Xstasy said:
It's a dumb idea you can't really prevent people from watching anime or talking about it. The more mainstream anime becomes the better that would mean that more anime fans can experience it and enjoy it.
To me this sounds like fear mongering, anime is made by the Japanese for the Japanese and I don't think they are going to change it just to appeal small minority in the west any time soon.

While I disagree on the notion that Anime won't be changing anytime soon, because I feel like it already has started in that direction, that's not really the point of the growing calls for gatekeeping. I'll refer you to my post above by quoting the most relevant bit:

The BringBackGatekeeping hashtag is about sending a message related to what it means to be an anime fan and to be part of the culture. The mindset is one that is pro-community. It's quite simple. People who want to change anime, who villify fans for what they like, who spread hatred and judgmental attitudes for elements of the community, are not welcome. This includes those elitists who gatekeep by saying casuals who only watch the big popular stuff aren't "real" anime fans, which is a bad form of gatekeeping. The mindset I'm talking about and most people using the hashtag are talking about is fundamentally inclusive. It's about preserving a varied, accepting, open-minded community culture. It is a response to hateful people, negative, anti-community attitudes.

So it isn't really about preventing people from talking about anime. But taking a stand against certian types of people who have invaded the community space, but don't care for culture.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 1, 2019 1:26 PM

Oct 2010
"Japan barely gives a shit about what foreigners think" - never before a phrase so repeated over the years had so little evidence to back it up. This dumb fantasy about the cultural purity of Japan needs to stop, it's not true, it's not desirable and the phrase is not at all innocent.

Promoting gatekeeping is stupid, disrespectful and at best irrelevant for the industry, at worst detrimental to its growth. Just because you believe that anime belongs to you doesn't mean it does.
Oct 1, 2019 1:30 PM

May 2009
jal90 said:
Just because you believe that anime belongs to you doesn't mean it does.
This.

The industry will do what it does; the fandom will do what it does. Can you influence it? Perhaps, in some small ways, maybe some larger ways if you're famous. Can you force it to do everything you want? No.

In the end I still think it's best to appreciate anime first on a personal level. If one is just in it for the socializing, then it's more like the anime is the excuse to socialize over, rather than the focus of one's attention. That's not a bad thing per se, but I just think one can get more appreciation from this hobby when one engages with it on a personal level.
Oct 1, 2019 1:52 PM

Feb 2010
Since we already got 'infiltrated' by people who would unironically use terms like 'normie' and 'SJW' to classify and generalize people, who use 'weeb' as an equivalent of 'nerd' to label themselves 'ironically' despite it meaning something quite different, and who think self-deprecation is the only normal way to talk about anime, I think it's too late already. At this point there is no point in gatekeeping. Let all the rest of them come too, it won't really have any impact on how much I enjoy anime or how I interact with the community.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 1, 2019 2:29 PM

Jul 2016
Anime already is mainstream, and who people like to think of as "sjw's" (the meaning of which changes every week, especially on here) have been making amazing anime since the 70's. The only people who'd really want to gatekeep something like anime from their perceived "normies" (another term I really hate) are those that think it means their porn is being taken away, and I don't want to associate with people who think like that.
Oct 1, 2019 2:44 PM
Jul 2018
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
Anime already is mainstream, and who people like to think of as "sjw's" (the meaning of which changes every week, especially on here) have been making amazing anime since the 70's.

If we're gonna include manga, since the 40's. It may seem quaint by today's standards but the creator of Sazae-san was a feminist and the strip was highly controversial when it first ran for being "too leftist".

But yeah all these people saying they want "teh SJWS" out of anime are going to have to say that to Miyazaki, Shinichiro Watanabe, Sayo Yamomoto, Mari Okada, and countless others, many who have been in the industry before they were even born.
Oct 1, 2019 2:52 PM

Aug 2014
I for one can only hope that anime increases in popularity, for this would in turn increase its diversity.
Oct 1, 2019 2:59 PM

Jul 2019
I'm not sure I understand but if you're talking about some westerners wanting to change anime in general, well like you said Japan doesn't give a damn so nothing will ever happen... Just enjoy your anime and stop worrying!
Life is a despicable endurance race
Oct 1, 2019 3:27 PM

Jan 2013
It's fucking dumb, at least when it comes to recommending the so called "classics"...

HeruruMeruru said:
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
Anime already is mainstream, and who people like to think of as "sjw's" (the meaning of which changes every week, especially on here) have been making amazing anime since the 70's.

If we're gonna include manga, since the 40's. It may seem quaint by today's standards but the creator of Sazae-san was a feminist and the strip was highly controversial when it first ran for being "too leftist".

But yeah all these people saying they want "teh SJWS" out of anime are going to have to say that to Miyazaki, Shinichiro Watanabe, Sayo Yamomoto, Mari Okada, and countless others, many who have been in the industry before they were even born.
That's when you know/realize that they don't know anything about the industry or the culture.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 1, 2019 3:32 PM

Jul 2019
Kruszer said:
I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

Nice, I will now proceed to save this image and thank you.
Oct 1, 2019 4:00 PM

May 2009
BiDiGiN said:
Nice, I will now proceed to save this image and thank you.
FWIW that particular combination of picture and caption are a known meme. Not that they're a bad meme, either -- it's a nice, cute, wholesome meme, to boot.
Oct 1, 2019 4:05 PM

Dec 2018
There are plenty of stupid and bullshit trends here in the 'west' that I don't want making their way into anime. I like anime because it's something completely different from the stuff you find here. And while Japan may say 'idgaf' at the moment; who will tell how long that's going to last? Even if their main focus are the Japanese, the attention from the outside still rises and therefore its influence.

I don't think gatekeeping will work. It's probably better to ignore those people that are just there to trash on something solely because it doesn't match their views.
Oregairu is life
Oct 1, 2019 4:07 PM

Jan 2009
the only thing the anime industry cares about is following where the profit is (capitalism 101) so if the future customers are majority normies or SJWs then sorry thats how its gonna be
Oct 1, 2019 4:15 PM

Mar 2015
I don't care for it rising in popularity, but yes, I will gatekeep SJW's and other toxic fans.

Normies just make me sad. I can't find anyone irl who can talk about anime in depth. When they say the love anime, they really mean those same 10 shows they watch, or the occasional seasonal. It really makes me sad as someone who continues to watch and appreciate anime as a whole. Not saying they can't love anime, but I'm saying that they don't actually 'love' anime. It's more of a 'like' if anything.
woah there
Oct 1, 2019 5:01 PM
Jul 2018
Kruszer said:

Um actually, that's a dorayaki, not a pancake you filthy normie casual. /joke

Cabron said:
It's fucking dumb, at least when it comes to recommending the so called "classics"...

HeruruMeruru said:

That's when you know/realize that they don't know anything about the industry or the culture.

And yet they're the ones that insist on gatekeeping, lmao.
Oct 1, 2019 5:04 PM

Oct 2017
Yes, I definitely think we should prevent people from experiencing something they could possibly enjoy. Why should we let other people have good things? It ruins my precious belief that I'm a part of a niche community.
Oct 1, 2019 5:46 PM

May 2009
Ehta said:
I don't care for it rising in popularity, but yes, I will gatekeep SJW's and other toxic fans.

Normies just make me sad. I can't find anyone irl who can talk about anime in depth. When they say the love anime, they really mean those same 10 shows they watch, or the occasional seasonal. It really makes me sad as someone who continues to watch and appreciate anime as a whole. Not saying they can't love anime, but I'm saying that they don't actually 'love' anime. It's more of a 'like' if anything.
I don't think it's either a "love" or a "like" for all of "anime", but rather the focus -- for those "normies" you speak of, as well as for quite a few of us more longtime fans -- is a specific subset of shows/genres we like.

And, what you say about that "those same 10 shows" actually makes me think of my own experience with...basically the rest of the anime fandom, considering that I (1) don't watch seasonals and (2) haven't watched most of the super-famous shows in the fandom (not just DBZ and Naruto and Bleach and One Piece and Sailor Moon etc., but also everything from FMAB to Bebop to Death Note to LOGTH to SAO to CCS to Fate/whatever to Jojo to Your Name to Made in Abyss to Franxx to Gintama to Gundam to HxH to HSDxD to OPM to Free to foomonogatari to TTGL to Toradora to School Days to Fruits Basket etc. etc. etc.). (And some of these are even in my backlog somewhere.)

The result of this is that not only do I not have much to talk with people about (ask me my favorite anime as a social icebreaker, and you will probably find others simply nodding their heads and moving on), but in addition, a darned lot of anime convention stuff (from merch to cosplay to panels) isn't in my wheelhouse. (I guess the silver lining is that I spend less $$$ at cons, lol.)
Oct 1, 2019 6:01 PM

May 2011
For gatekeeping to be, the concept in question needs to be backed up by a powerful niche of individuals, actively resisting any attempt to repurpose it...

There's no gatekeeping in manga/anime. If there is any attempt, it is utterly inefficient effort from fringe groups, anyway. I think watching anime and reading manga has become a waaay more widespread hobby than ever, just like playing video games: they used to be a nerd thing, but not anymore. Nowadays, you see Nintendo editing a Fitness Adventure game for the sporty yuppies and the public alike. Just like you see "normies" cosplaying as schoolgirls in conventions. It has become fashionable.

The proof of it is the existence of gateway animes like "Naruto" or "Attack on Titans", released every once in a while, which appeal to a massive influx of newcomers. Globalization is an unstoppable force.

tldr; gatekeeping is doing jackshit. True fans stick through thick and lows, for years and decades. Independently of trends or culture crisis. Give it time, and insincere people will hop off the bandwagon, in the end.
sorceryOct 1, 2019 6:13 PM
Oct 1, 2019 6:37 PM

Oct 2017
Dolabella said:
Yes, I definitely think we should prevent people from experiencing something they could possibly enjoy. Why should we let other people have good things? It ruins my precious belief that I'm a part of a niche community.

You - like half the people in this thread - misunderstand the recent trend towards wanting to "gatekeep" anime.

It's about resisting intrusion in to community by people that clearly don't enjoy anime, because they do very little but complain and call for more censorship and for long-established elements of the culture to change because they judge them as bad.

These people tend to just be hopping on the bandwagon because it's becoming more mainstream. So it seems like we want any new or casual fan to be "gatekept", but that's not true for the majority of us. More people actually enjoying anime is great. People using anime as a way to gain clout on Twitter or to virtue signal and spread toxic sex-negative, anti-community attitudes are not welcome and should be more strongly resisted. That is the kind of gatekeeping we are talking about.

These people want to be considered fans of pizza, and share a space with people that love pizza, but they hate pepperoni and they talk down to, mock, and generally are assholes to people that like pepperoni. It's ok to not like pepperoni, but if you want to be part of the pizza lover club, you need to accept that there will a lot of pepperoni, and you should be more open-minded and tolerant of the people who like pepperoni.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 1, 2019 6:56 PM

Oct 2017
Sai-B said:
I swear one has to be retarded to think gatekeeping is good for anybody. PLOT TWIST FOR YOU: MORE PEOPLE WATCHING = MORE MONEY IN ANIME = MORE ANIME = MORE ANIME FOR YOU TO ENJOY = BETTER FOR YOU.

Holy fuck.

That's not how it works, pal.

More money in the industry doesn't mean more anime. The gaming industry is much bigger than it was 20 years ago but the PS2/Gamesube era had much more variety and quantity of at least decent games coming out than nowadays where is it dominated by the AAA gaming industry.

When something gets big globally, it attracts big money groups who latch on the what should be an art form like vampires and spend all that money refining the most mass-appeal, mainstream crap to get the most eyes on the fewest works with the least effort to make the most money.

More money in the anime industry means more money for CEOs and distributors, and all the other people that leech off the actual artists. Animators will still be treated like crap, only there might be a few more of them. More slave labour! Yay! Keep spending money on big fashion chain clothes guys, it's good for the people that make the clothes! Lmao (but also weeping)...

All that ignores the impact that globalization will have on a medium which until now has been gloriously distinct from western media.

But hey I wouldn't expect someone who uses all caps and calls people retards to actually see things in a nuanced way. I'm not really talking to you but the lurkers who need to hear the other side of your simple-minded bullshit. Hey lurkers btw.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 1, 2019 7:07 PM

Jul 2014
YossaRedMage said:
Sai-B said:
I swear one has to be retarded to think gatekeeping is good for anybody. PLOT TWIST FOR YOU: MORE PEOPLE WATCHING = MORE MONEY IN ANIME = MORE ANIME = MORE ANIME FOR YOU TO ENJOY = BETTER FOR YOU.

Holy fuck.

That's not how it works, pal.

More money in the industry doesn't mean more anime. The gaming industry is much bigger than it was 20 years ago but the PS2/Gamesube era had much more variety and quantity of at least decent games coming out than nowadays where is it dominated by the AAA gaming industry.

When something gets big globally, it attracts big money groups who latch on the what should be an art form like vampires and spend all that money refining the most mass-appeal, mainstream crap to get the most eyes on the fewest works with the least effort to make the most money.

More money in the anime industry means more money for CEOs and distributors, and all the other people that leech off the actual artists. Animators will still be treated like crap, only there might be a few more of them. More slave labour! Yay! Keep spending money on big fashion chain clothes guys, it's good for the people that make the clothes! Lmao (but also weeping)...

All that ignores the impact that globalization will have on a medium which until now has been gloriously distinct from western media.

But hey I wouldn't expect someone who uses all caps and calls people retards to actually see things in a nuanced way. I'm not really talking to you but the lurkers who need to hear the other side of your simple-minded bullshit. Hey lurkers btw.

Dude stop quoting shit I deleted, I posted it too fast, I don't want to get banned xd Also, I disagree with everything you wrote.
Oct 1, 2019 7:08 PM

Oct 2017
YossaRedMage said:
Dolabella said:

You - like half the people in this thread - misunderstand the recent trend towards wanting to "gatekeep" anime.

It's about resisting intrusion in to community by people that clearly don't enjoy anime, because they do very little but complain and call for more censorship and for long-established elements of the culture to change because they judge them as bad.

These people tend to just be hopping on the bandwagon because it's becoming more mainstream. So it seems like we want any new or casual fan to be "gatekept", but that's not true for the majority of us. More people actually enjoying anime is great. People using anime as a way to gain clout on Twitter or to virtue signal and spread toxic sex-negative, anti-community attitudes are not welcome and should be more strongly resisted. That is the kind of gatekeeping we are talking about.

These people want to be considered fans of pizza, and share a space with people that love pizza, but they hate pepperoni and they talk down to, mock, and generally are assholes to people that like pepperoni. It's ok to not like pepperoni, but if you want to be part of the pizza lover club, you need to accept that there will a lot of pepperoni, and you should be more open-minded and tolerant of the people who like pepperoni.

Okay! I admit that I don't fully understand the nuances of the issue. My bad, I kinda just wanted to have a go because I get pissed off about leaving people out of things in general.

However, from my personal experience I don't see a lot of people using anime for "clout" who don't seem to at least enjoy it. Maybe just not looking in the right places? I'm honestly not sure - what I do know is that while anime is kinda mainstream there's a crazy number of things on the internet much easier to exploit for that kind of thing. Like, there are several video game communities that dwarf the entire anime fandom.

And nobody can say what the right way to enjoy something is. I don't mind sharing community space with anyone so long as we have mutual respect of each other's preferences. And admittedly I'm new to the community, so there are plenty of details I don't know. But I figure acceptance is probably the way to go - we really don't have any control over what everyone else thinks, might as well just see where the trends take us.
Oct 1, 2019 7:12 PM

Sep 2016
Gatekeeping bad. Inclusion good. Sharing something you enjoy with other people is great.

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
Oct 1, 2019 7:29 PM
Jul 2018
AHEM gatekeep?, but its the moderately unappealing personalities of the "oppressed" emo teens that never grew up causing the shit fit of social justice. You know, the bulk of the preexisting anime fan base. The c+ average, sketchbook, pierced eyebrow, cat ears kiddo that is so original but can be found in multiples of a hundred every convention? You can't keep out what is the majority of the in, right?

Now while I won't support any propaganda driven piece of media produced by these groups, (OR PRODUCED BY THEIR OPPOSITION FOR THAT MATTER) I have no right to try and tell anyone what to do with their free time. If they want to watch the same anime I am watching(even if they bitch about it), cool, I just won't listen to da bitchen.

These groups complain about shows we like and WE say ,"if you don't like it go make your own", then they do... and people bitch about that. Excessive whining back and forth, its murder on ones sanity.

Now circling back around to your original premise, is there a measure that needs to be taken to preserve the sanctity<? of Anime. Not really, Japan don't give a care. However it would be nice to have the "gates" open to the max to flood the fan base with the entirety of the worlds youth to ensure a profitable future for the anime universe. Douche dollars spend like regular dollars, so show Dingbat Donnie the first few episodes of One Punch Man and get that $$$ flowing back to the land of the rising sun. I wouldn't worry to hard about these things, you know?
Oct 1, 2019 7:32 PM
Jul 2018
Catalano said:
Gatekeeping or not, anime is going threw censoring. Didn't you find it weird that they love to show panties, tits, sex acts, blood, gore, incest (with teens) and other stuff but they would die if they showed a anime teen smoking or drinking alcohol.
I don't know where are going with anime, I can't envision what will happen 10 years from now, lack of imagination.

Where the hell were you summer 2019? Smoking and drinking were in baby! Heavenly delights even.
Oct 1, 2019 7:42 PM

Sep 2019
Kruszer said:

It's great. Now eat the pancake in the thoughts.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Oct 1, 2019 7:49 PM
Jan 2012
Branding people normalfags/normies is dumb and makes me throw up in my mouth a little, it's literally the Chad of anime terms yet people use it unironically.

Not only is convincing more people OUT of your favorite hobby dumb and damaging to the industry, but literally no effort these people put into this would work anyway. The only way this would work is if it really spread to Japan, but even then I doubt it. They ain't exactly fond of people with strong contrary opinions over there, going against the grain is pretty frowned upon in Japan unless you really dance around the issue instead of standing your ground.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Today

25 by EpicO4 »»
7 minutes ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

40 by MeltyGutz »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 45 minutes ago

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
15 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

54 by Luchipher-Zen »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.