Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 28, 2019 8:12 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

The 26th and final episode of Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba) ended with an announcement on Saturday that a sequel anime film is in production. The film will cover the Mugen Ressha-hen (Infinity Train arc, also known as the Demon Train arc).

Haruo Sotozaki (Tales of Zestiria the Cross) is returning to direct the film at animation studio ufotable. Akira Matsushima (Maria-sama ga Miteru) is also reprising as the character designer. The lead cast members from the television anime will also reprise their roles.

Synopsis
Ever since the death of his father, the burden of supporting the family has fallen upon Tanjirou Kamado's shoulders. Though living impoverished on a remote mountain, the Kamado family are able to enjoy a relatively peaceful and happy life. One day, Tanjirou decides to go down to the local village to make a little money selling charcoal. On his way back, night falls, forcing Tanjirou to take shelter in the house of a strange man, who warns him of the existence of flesh-eating demons that lurk in the woods at night.

When he finally arrives back home the next day, he is met with a horrifying sight—his whole family has been slaughtered. Worse still, the sole survivor is his sister Nezuko, who has been turned into a bloodthirsty demon. Consumed by rage and hatred, Tanjirou swears to avenge his family and stay by his only remaining sibling. Alongside the mysterious group calling themselves the Demon Slayer Corps, Tanjirou will do whatever it takes to slay the demons and protect the remnants of his beloved sister's humanity. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Kimetsu no Yaiba adapts Koyoharu Gotouge's supernatural action manga of the same title, which began airing on April 6. Aniplex of America licensed the anime series and streamed it on Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Hulu. Adult Swim's Toonami programming block will run the show with English dub beginning October 12.

Prior to serialization, Gotouge received an honorable mention at the 70th Jump Treasure Newcomer Manga Awards in 2013 for their Kagarigari one-shot, which became the prototype for Kimetsu no Yaiba. The latter began serializing in Weekly Shounen Jump in February 2016. Shueisha published the 16th volume on July 4, with the 17th volume planned for an October 4 release. Kimetsu no Yaiba has a cumulative 10 million copies of its compiled volumes in circulation.

VIZ Media licensed the manga in English in July 2017 and publishes it simultaneously with the Japanese release in their Shounen Jump service. The eighth volume went on sale on September 3, and the ninth volume will be published on November 5. Shueisha's Manga Plus platform also began simulpublishing the manga in English this January.

Kimetsu no Yaiba ranked among the top 20 manga in the male readers category in the 2018 Kono Manga ga Sugoi rankings.

Announcement

Note: The video is region-locked; click here for an alternative link.

Official site: https://kimetsu.com/anime/movie/mugenressyahen/

Source: Comic Natalie

Kimetsu no Yaiba Movie: Mugen Ressha-hen on MAL
VindstotSep 28, 2019 7:47 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 28, 2019 8:14 AM

Jan 2009
excited for this but i need a lot of patience since movies takes longer to be release in fansubs lol
Sep 28, 2019 8:14 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
We might have to wait a bit for this but I'm really happy this is happening!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 28, 2019 8:15 AM

Jan 2015
Rengoku is here and my ass is still not ready
Sep 28, 2019 8:16 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
Ffs, I know I should be glad for whatever continuation we're getting but this trend of movie sequels is so annoying, just take your time to make a second season.
Sep 28, 2019 8:17 AM

Jan 2009
ye despite the long wait the best boy and ultimate bro of this show is about to get his spotlight in freaking movie quality

betaweeb said:
Ffs, I know I should be glad for whatever continuation we're getting but this trend of movie sequels is so annoying, just take your time to make a second season.

anime movies have more polish/quality though since its usually only equal to 4-6 TV episodes so they have plenty of time to animate things good
Sep 28, 2019 8:17 AM
Dec 2013
betaweeb said:
but the movies looks always soooo much better than their tv-shows. The buget for a movie is always higher.
Sep 28, 2019 8:18 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Movie announcements always make fans feel a mixture of hype and disappointment lol
Sep 28, 2019 8:19 AM

Nov 2011
The only bad thing about it is that people outside Japan would have to wait a long time to be able to watch it.

Sep 28, 2019 8:19 AM
May 2019
The train arc is super epic and is suitable to be made in a movie format imo so no complains. Also, infinite budget works can't be topped but hopefully with a movie and their focus maximized we can get that godly fights and animations once more? Or maybe even to greater heights? HYPE!
Sep 28, 2019 8:21 AM

Jan 2009
MindOfOsaka said:
betaweeb said:
but the movies looks always soooo much better than their tv-shows. The buget for a movie is always higher.

nah anime movies usually have the same budget as a 1-cour TV show so $2 million, its actually rare for anime movies to have those $30 million budgets like Ghibli movies have

the higher quality is because anime movies tend to animate an equal of 4-6 TV episodes in general so they have plenty of time for animators to animate thing with great quality
Sep 28, 2019 8:25 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Absolutely thrilled over this news and can NOT wait, oh yeah! Ufotable have been giving it their all for 26 episodes in a trot, I can't even begin to imagine the quality a movie and that too of such a hyped arc is in store for us! My day is blessed, thank you Ufotable!

#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 28, 2019 8:27 AM

Jul 2013
Fuck, this means we're not getting a proper sequel. Anytime series get a movie sequel, that's the end of the series and they don't get another season
Sep 28, 2019 8:28 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
MindOfOsaka said:
betaweeb said:

sounds right but i guess i'm more of a series person rather than a movie guy, there wasn't really a point where i felt that kimetsu needed more budget while watching the show but i'm glad that you're happier about these news, have a nice day.
Sep 28, 2019 8:33 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
deg said:
ye despite the long wait the best boy and ultimate bro of this show is about to get his spotlight in freaking movie quality

betaweeb said:

anime movies have more polish/quality though since its usually only equal to 4-6 TV episodes so they have plenty of time to animate things good

there wasn't really a point while watching this season that i felt the show wasn't animated well so i hoped for another season that maintains this level of quality(which was more than enough for me) and it feels a bit disappointing getting less content in the form of a movie, which is less my cup of tea, but if it pleases you and others i'm happy for you, have a nice day.
Sep 28, 2019 8:38 AM

Jul 2013
Dat feeling when the manga may be already finished by the time I got to watch this movie...
Sep 28, 2019 8:39 AM

Jan 2009
Illyricus said:
Dat feeling when the manga may be already finished by the time I got to watch this movie...

lol same but just gonna have more patience
Sep 28, 2019 8:44 AM
Jul 2009
bledsoe60 said:
Fuck, this means we're not getting a proper sequel. Anytime series get a movie sequel, that's the end of the series and they don't get another season

Not really. Danmachi got an anime movie before second season, same with youjo senki. Theres also fafner. There are still awesome arcs in kimetsu after the one in the movie, not too mention the arc that appear in the movie ends with a gigantic cliffhanger. It would be super weird if they end it there.
Sep 28, 2019 8:49 AM

Jan 2018
Koshi_Inaba said:
bledsoe60 said:

Not really. Danmachi got an anime movie before second season, same with youjo senki. Theres also fafner. There are still awesome arcs in kimetsu after the one in the movie, not too mention the arc that appear in the movie ends with a gigantic cliffhanger. It would be super weird if they end it there.

The Danmachi movie wasn't a sequel though, it was just a side story. And as far as I know Youjo Senki season 2 hasn't been announced either. If they are dropping a movie in the middle of the story that covers a part of the main story, that is more than a little concerning for the hope of a season 2. This is definitely not the news I wanted to hear.
whats a signature
Sep 28, 2019 8:51 AM

Mar 2012
Good luck waiting for 8+ month.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 28, 2019 8:54 AM
Apr 2014
Hmm why a movie though. Still happy that train arc is getting adapted nonetheless.
Sep 28, 2019 8:57 AM
Jul 2009
skipped said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

The Danmachi movie wasn't a sequel though, it was just a side story. And as far as I know Youjo Senki season 2 hasn't been announced either. If they are dropping a movie in the middle of the story that covers a part of the main story, that is more than a little concerning for the hope of a season 2. This is definitely not the news I wanted to hear.

Huh, i guess i was mistaken about youjo senki. In this case, i'm not really worried though. Its a good decision imo, as the train arc is pretty short in the manga and thus fit for a movie. With that out of the way, they can animate the red light district arc and swordsmiths village arc freely. Both are long, intense arcs while train arc is more of a transition arc and honestly adapting all the three arcs in the same season will cause some rushed pacing. Considering the success of the bd sales of the 1st season, it would pretty dumb business-wise to not animate those two arcs, especially since the rld arc is the first arc where the series start increasing in popularity. Looks like we'll just have to wait and see i'm not really worried though
Koshi_InabaSep 28, 2019 9:02 AM
Sep 28, 2019 8:57 AM
Jul 2017
Damn. It’ll be a long time before anyone outside of Japan can watch this one. I’m both hyped and disappointed at the same time.
Sep 28, 2019 9:02 AM
Jul 2019
Why Movie sequel ???
Sep 28, 2019 9:08 AM

Oct 2018
Not gonna lie, I kinda new it was coming. I knew this arc can be adapted in a movie

But unfortunately, if the movie comes out in Sumner 2020, we will see it into winter 2021
Sep 28, 2019 9:10 AM

Jun 2015
Koshi_Inaba said:
ot really. Danmachi got an anime movie before second season, same with youjo senki. Theres also fafner. There are still awesome arcs in kimetsu after the one in the movie, not too mention the arc that appear in the movie ends with a gigantic cliffhanger. It would be super weird if they end it there.

What? Did they announce a second season for Youjo Senki???
Sep 28, 2019 9:15 AM
Aug 2016
betaweeb said:

The Train arc is short, it can't fit in a single cour unless Ufotable destroys the pacing.

Hhguf said:
Why Movie sequel ???

read below
Sep 28, 2019 9:16 AM

Jul 2017
bledsoe60 said:

That's not always true. Grisaia series had a movie sequel in between and still got a proper sequel afterward. Same thing with SAO and Major. It's probably more of the case that this supposed train arc's length is going to be better to do in a movie-length rather than include it as part of a 2nd season
Sep 28, 2019 9:20 AM

Oct 2013
Knew it was going to get a sequel and was totally willing to wait to a second season. But now I guess I'll have to wait for a movie instead...
Sep 28, 2019 9:22 AM

Jul 2013
Movie format makes sense because Demon Train is relatively shorter than the succeeding arcs. It's better this way so they can fit Red Light District and Swordsmith Village in one season.
Sep 28, 2019 9:39 AM
Jan 2019
Huh,not really surprised but I think this is actually a good decision since the Demon Train arc is pretty short in length hence perfect for a movie. Then they can take their time to adapt the longer arcs (like Red Light District arc) into a series. It would be plain nonsense (heck,just bad business and money opportunity) not to animate the rest after the Demon Train arc.
Sep 28, 2019 9:42 AM

Jan 2018
Uhm it's great, great news. Can I ask for a proper 2nd season instead, I mean the movie shouldn't be the last of kimetsu no yaiba.
Sep 28, 2019 9:45 AM
Jan 2018
skipped said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

Yea youjo senki movie is a sequal to the series . Just like how KonoSuba movie is sequal to the 2nd season
Sep 28, 2019 9:47 AM
Jan 2018
AnotherGuy said:
Koshi_Inaba said:
ot really. Danmachi got an anime movie before second season, same with youjo senki. Theres also fafner. There are still awesome arcs in kimetsu after the one in the movie, not too mention the arc that appear in the movie ends with a gigantic cliffhanger. It would be super weird if they end it there.

AnotherGuy said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

No the only sequal the series has is the movie
Sep 28, 2019 9:53 AM

Jun 2016
Vindstot said:
Announcement

Note: The video is region-locked; click here for an alternative link.

Official website: https://kimetsu.com/anime/movie/mugenressyahen/

Source: Comic Natalie

Ups!... I can't watch the video...
Thanks to the genius who uploaded the trailer of this ad to YouTube and block the possibility of watching in my country... Here in Argentina we are all Neanderthals who have not yet the anime discovered, and we only draw manga on the walls of our caves... Thanks... Only when we are conquered will we be able to freely access all the contents of youtube... Meanwhile, greetings from the southern hemisphere to the evolved sapiens who discriminate by region the anime they share.

Sep 28, 2019 9:55 AM

Dec 2016
I'm very excited to see what Ufotable can do for this movie just like Heaven Feels Trilogy!
Sep 28, 2019 10:18 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
Hebi_op said:
betaweeb said:

The Train arc is short, it can't fit in a single cour unless Ufotable destroys the pacing.

Hhguf said:
Why Movie sequel ???

read below

fair enough, bit it's not like it isn't possible to adapt more than one arc per season.
Sep 28, 2019 10:32 AM

Oct 2018
This might be an even better news as it is.

They know the next arc can be adapted in a movie perfectly, and then the next 2 ones would be perfect for a 2 cour 2nd season. Maybe they are planning far ahead already.
Sep 28, 2019 10:32 AM
Apr 2019
eu não to triste por ser lançado um filme, to feliz demais por ter mais kimetsu, porem eu queria uma segunda temporada.... mas se pensar por um lado, é quase certo que após o filme eles confirmem uma segunda temporada
Sep 28, 2019 10:33 AM
Aug 2016
betaweeb said:
Hebi_op said:

read below

fair enough, bit it's not like it isn't possible to adapt more than one arc per season.

I don't think Ufotable want to ruin his new gem honestly, so no.
Sep 28, 2019 10:37 AM

Feb 2018
bledsoe60 said:
hazecloud said:
Uhm it's great, great news. Can I ask for a proper 2nd season instead, I mean the movie shouldn't be the last of kimetsu no yaiba.

This movie will be a direct sequel to season 1 that adapt Infinite Train Arc, This arc is really short (Ch 54-66) so movie format is more fit, also movie is usually have better quality than TV series (you can see Heaven's Feel movie for example, that Lancer vs Assassin and Saber Alter vs Berserker fights)
Sep 28, 2019 10:39 AM

Feb 2018
betaweeb said:
Hebi_op said:

read below

2 arcs after Infinite Train Arc is long arc, so they decide to make Infinite Train Arc as movie then 2 arcs after that as season 2.
Sep 28, 2019 10:39 AM

Jun 2014
I would have liked a second season announcement right off the bat, but more of this story in any format won't draw any complaints from me. Plus, think about how fucking gorgeous this movie will look given the amount of time they'll have to work on it. Episode 19 looked as good as it did and that was with a TV anime production schedule, so this movie will definitely look nothing short of amazing.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Sep 28, 2019 10:54 AM
Mar 2019
I cant unsee Hairo in this giuy
Sep 28, 2019 10:56 AM
Jul 2019
gadboyz said:
betaweeb said:

2 arcs after Infinite Train Arc is long arc, so they decide to make Infinite Train Arc as movie then 2 arcs after that as season 2.

Ok but that mean season 2 will be late
Sep 28, 2019 11:03 AM
May 2019
Okay, I'm very happy for this, because movie productions often look good, and the art was already nuts, so I'm preparing myself for eyegasms. On the other hand, I hope it's a TV movie, even though I'm pretty sure it won't, which means, for me in Brazil, that there will be painful months after the release until I can watch it.
Sep 28, 2019 11:08 AM

Oct 2018
I'm sure the movie will come out summer 2020

Winter is absolutely out of question, and in Spring already comes Heaven's Feel final movie, so only Summer left

And this way, we will see this movie early 2021, probably in January
Sep 28, 2019 11:25 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I'm glad they are doing a movie adaptation for the Demon Train arc, but I'm not going to wait until the movie comes out in the west. So I'm going to binge read the manga.
Sep 28, 2019 11:49 AM

Jul 2013
Short_Circut said:
bledsoe60 said:

That's not always true. Grisaia series had a movie sequel in between and still got a proper sequel afterward. Same thing with SAO and Major. It's probably more of the case that this supposed train arc's length is going to be better to do in a movie-length rather than include it as part of a 2nd season
I genuinely hope you're right, this is a great show I don't want it to end incomplete
Sep 28, 2019 11:54 AM

Aug 2018
HYPE FOR THE MOVIE
HYPE FOR SEASON TWO
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Webtoon 'The Beginning After The End' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - Oct 19

36 by Thanatos1 »»
16 minutes ago

» In Pursuit of Egoism: The Essence of 'Blue Lock'

Kineta - 4 hours ago

3 by Gear707 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Lazarus' Unveils Main Staff, Cast, 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Oct 18

30 by hikarukare »»
Yesterday, 9:20 AM

» Light Novel 'Blade & Bastard' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Oct 20

10 by LyLord »»
Yesterday, 8:05 AM

» 'S-Rank Monster no "Behemoth" dakedo, Neko to Machigawarete Elf Musume no Pet toshite Kurashitemasu' Unveils More Cast, Staff, First Promo, Winter 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Oct 23

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
Yesterday, 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.