Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 21, 2013 9:19 PM

Aug 2007
I'm really interested to learn about the angels...
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a whole different side of the story and conspiracy.

Jan 3, 2014 12:59 PM

Jul 2013
Zerachroma said:
-- " But that's like the commander and the sub-commander, they aren't bothered by this much heat"

Sub commander -- "It's lukewarm"

Commander -- "Yeah"

OMFGROFLLMAO :D

Yeah,it is my favorite part of the episode.
Feb 18, 2014 12:27 AM

Oct 2013
quite a team
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 18, 2014 6:52 AM

Aug 2013
It was nice seeing the 3 EVAs working together. Rei definitely needs more screen time.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 7, 2014 1:09 PM

Dec 2013
animalia said:
Two things in this episode I want to make note of.

First Asuka briefly puts her pride on the back seat to pay back the debt she owed Shinji..and

Two: Rei's Statement that she isn't treated better then anyone, and that she knows that better then anyone. Given what we have seen of her relationship with Gendo that does not makes sense. But, given her, for lack of a better term, personality, there is probably a great deal of truth behind those words. So you have to wonder what that statement means.

I think its important to not that Rei didn't say 'she isn't treated better than anyone' she said that she's "not the favorite". Being the "favorite" doesn't necessarily mean you're treated better. Think about that...

Also I believe it was partially due to Asuka's pride (not inspite of it) that she took the defensive possition. But that scene also shows that despite being annoying, mean, arrogant, and prideful Asuka has genuine leadership qualities.

Lycan said:
I'm really interested to learn about the angels...
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a whole different side of the story and conspiracy.

I agree with all of this. Why do they even call them angels? They're not able to communicate with them so clearly they don't refer to themselves as angels, so why use the term angel when an angel originally refers to a force for good?
DaydreamHeroMar 7, 2014 1:12 PM
Love and Peace!!!
May 4, 2014 8:42 PM

Jun 2013
Good episode. It was pretty cool seeing Rei, Shinji, and Asuka working together, I think they make a great team.
Jun 23, 2014 10:29 PM

Aug 2013
Ok, really liked seeing Rei in her EVA and piloting with the other 3. I was waiting for the chance to see Rei in action. Rei's quickly becoming my favorite.

Oh how selfless of Asuka to block the acid from the other two. She's got good intentions.
Sep 7, 2014 11:21 AM

Jan 2012
Asuka is so annoying. I'm beginning to hate her... She opens her mouth and I'm already "argh stfu annoying tsundere bitch"
Dec 8, 2014 4:35 PM

Nov 2013
"It's lukewarm" LOL.

Yay for teamwork, I hope there's more of this!
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 1, 2015 1:43 PM

Jan 2013
Fantasitc episode where mankind once again defeated the enemy, but this time without the help of technology. This genuinely tells how the humans can think of endless possibilities to live. One of the most original episodes I've seen in any anime thus far.
Jan 31, 2015 9:01 PM

Nov 2012
It's nice to see the three cooperating for once. Hopefully some Rei development will come by soon.
Feb 13, 2015 3:42 PM
Dec 2013
I don't get how this anime is supposed to be so special (so far)

seems all pretty standard to me (the first three episodes or so were actually pretty dark and interesting) but especially since Asuka (such an annoying brat ugh) has arrived its all lighthearted and immature

well I will keep watching
the conspiracy angle and the mystery of the angels keeps me going
I'm expecting a lot more though having to tolerate this kind of animation is not that easy
FuckMAl4132Feb 13, 2015 4:02 PM
Feb 16, 2015 9:48 AM

Oct 2013
Something is very off...

There is a massive power outage at NERV headquarters just as the next Angel appears? And why do the Angels consistently target NERV exclusively? I don't exactly remember the Angels' targets so far, but I'm certain at the very least all of the last ones show up on earth, ignore the rest of the planet and head straight for NERV.

If it seems too suspicious to be a coincidence, then surely it is could not be a coincidence.

In other news, I love the interactions between the three pilots. Very cool episode.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 24, 2015 10:49 AM

Feb 2015
It was nice to see the minor chracters from the NERV crew and their views of the workings of the government. Both commander and subcommander are awesome. Other than that someone needs to bitch slap Asuka.
Mar 28, 2015 12:10 AM

Apr 2014
this episode is so funny lmfao I never realized.
Apr 29, 2015 1:25 AM
Nov 2014
Asuka is gr8 but she is so annoying in this episode. ( Rei is better than her )

One of the better episodes tbh, hopefully it keeps getting better and better.
May 7, 2015 7:28 PM

Aug 2014
Hoping that later they actually explain what Angels are.
May 25, 2015 11:12 PM

Sep 2014
Collaboration! Ep 11.

Pros:
Plot: Blackout hits Nerv and an Angel strikes. There are allusions to other movies such as the Day Earth stood still and the Angel is a giant Walking Eye-Spider. The first half was a bit slow and made for a decent day-in the life moment with the Nerv crew getting other things done and talking about the world they inhabit. It's also a good commentary of Sci-fi and RL where when the supercomputer that people put in charge of everything goes out, people are screwed.

Character: Everyone got to shine. Asuka once more gets a bit of a buttmonkey status with her constant whines and general brashness over things like who is leader and such but man does Shinji have it worse. However its forgiven in the final act where Asuka took charge and led the group to victory, getting the most damage in the process.

Rei also gets a special mention with her level-headed stoicism leading the group to Nerv and her so called status as favorite. She works as a good foil for Asuka just as Asuka does for Shinji.

Seeing all 3 pilots playing off each other was a good spot of fun. And Shinji continues to suffer.

Gendo also makes a big surprise when he gets up and gets things in order to fight the Angel after a showing of aloof and blunt dismissal of Shinji earlier. He is a jerk but he will get things done. Might even seemed a bit inspiring.

The bridge bunnies of Makoto, Aoba, and Maya showed a bit of their hidden themes such as Aoba's guitar, Maya's liking of tech, and Aoba being meek and probably a nerd. Heck even those generals from Ep 1 made a comeback to show either the lackadaisical nature of the military at the time or general apathy.

5/5. Once more its a fun ep with worldbuilding and good characterization.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
May 30, 2015 4:00 AM

Jan 2013
Another Angel trying to get to the core of NERV, this time faster than a drill.
I laughed at the scene where they were supposed to launch: - ultimately crawling in their Eva's.

Gendo showing a bit more character helping out with booting up the Eva's and having faith in the pilots (his son) to arrive in time.
PrOxAntoMay 30, 2015 5:10 AM
Jun 16, 2015 5:10 PM

Dec 2009
Waiting for answers to questions posed in this episode.
Such junk...
Jul 10, 2015 5:23 AM

Jan 2014
Yeah Shinji, I wonder why they're attacking Angels...
Hmm... Maybe Nerv's trying to make humans.
And that's like not okay, so the Angels want to stop them :)
Aug 8, 2015 7:08 PM

Aug 2015
Geez! Shinji's dad is such a jerk! At least he got in there and helped manually get the Eva's ready for the pilots...

I still like Asuka a lot, but she can be kind of b**** sometimes lol. Good teamwork from the pilots though. ★4/5
Oct 19, 2015 9:57 PM

Apr 2014
Quoting some other people who have already expressed my thoughts:

Zadion said:
Something is very off...

There is a massive power outage at NERV headquarters just as the next Angel appears? And why do the Angels consistently target NERV exclusively? I don't exactly remember the Angels' targets so far, but I'm certain at the very least all of the last ones show up on earth, ignore the rest of the planet and head straight for NERV.

If it seems too suspicious to be a coincidence, then surely it is could not be a coincidence.

In other news, I love the interactions between the three pilots. Very cool episode.

existentialist-j said:
It was nice to see the minor chracters from the NERV crew and their views of the workings of the government. Both commander and subcommander are awesome. Other than that someone needs to bitch slap Asuka.

I'm also starting to question if Gendo is really as cold as he appears. Perhaps he just doesn't want to become too attached to anyone because he doesn't want to experience the pain of loss again? I'm starting to say that for every character lol.
Nov 21, 2015 11:57 AM

Feb 2013
So I wonder who it was that cut the power, and why they did it? Why would anyone side with these Angels? Hmm...

But yeah, good episode. Asuka is actually really good at tactics and what not, I'm personally really enjoying her character so far. It was also nice to see Rei actually do something this episode lol.

Oh, and Kanji or w/e the hell his name is, is still a dick. Is the show trying to make us like this guy or something? Because its not working lol...
Shape430Nov 21, 2015 12:00 PM
Dec 29, 2015 7:49 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

I've always liked this episode for the teamwork. It also shows that Nerv has enemies other than the Angels, and that they were able to completely kill the power, something that should be extremely difficult to do. It's interesting what they kept running. ;)

5/5
Feb 5, 2016 5:37 AM

Aug 2014
Asuka leader was funny lol . Good teamwork in this episode .
And I ship Rei x Asuka xD .

Great Episode .
Jun 28, 2016 1:15 PM

Jun 2011
I want to kick ASUKA's butt for looking at the stars! She doesn't deserve it for acting like that! And Asuka is never fucking carefree! She's too damn practical! I want her to get out and have some fun!!!!
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jul 16, 2016 7:40 PM

Feb 2016
Seeing all three EVAs working as a team was really nice. The fight scenes seem pretty short most of the time but I enjoy every minute of it. The comedy scenes were also very enjoyable. What I also really like is that Rei has the same VA like Ai Haibara from Detective Conan.
Aug 10, 2016 7:58 AM

Aug 2016
"One of mankind's greatest enemies is man himself"
I liked that quote.

Also the philosophical ending was pretty neat.
Oct 30, 2016 2:47 PM

Aug 2014
LMAO, Asuka should be the last person to talk :

Asuka was extra annoying in this episode but I guess she made up for it with that plan of hers.

It seems more likely to me that Gendo had faith in Rei leading the rest of the pilot rather than Shinji himself...but hey, I guess Ritsuko wanted to make the kid feel proud about this father right? Lol.
And speaking of Gendo, this was probably the first episode I didn't feel like strangling the guy.
KashKetchumOct 30, 2016 2:52 PM
Nov 15, 2016 1:46 PM

Nov 2016
Very good episode. Got to finally see some more Rei again and all 3 of them working together was fun to see. The Angel in this episode is one of the freakiest looking ones IMO.

That said, Asuka has definitely taken a step back. I was growing on her last episode but now it's gone back to how I don't know what to think of her.
Jan 2, 2017 3:35 PM

Feb 2013
I'm glad that the three are getting along more. Also glad is getting more screen time. They made a good team. Asuka is growing on me as well as Rei too.

Funny how Misato was stuck in the elevator for pretty much the whole episode.

Good episode. Rei got all philosophical there at the end. Where do Angels come from? Space? Who knows.
Jan 11, 2017 9:17 PM

Sep 2015
Lol thought Misato and Kaji would be kissing and etc.
Jan 25, 2017 7:27 PM
Mar 2016
Characters are developing and the show is going in a nice direction. I thought this show was going to be a solid 10/10 but maybe it is because the show hasn't finished growing on me
Jan 29, 2017 7:03 PM

Jan 2014
Lol so they conveniently don't tell us how the light came back on? It just did..? No worries? OK, Evangelion... ok...

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Mar 8, 2017 9:49 PM

Dec 2012
what an interesting angel this time. the orange solvent excreting from it's eye was cool
Aug 14, 2017 7:13 PM

Jul 2009
Ugh every time Asuka opens her mouth its either to say something rude or stupid. She's so annoying. Shinji's a saint for putting up with her. I wish Rei would just slap her.
Aug 14, 2017 9:26 PM
Oct 2011
Inugirlz said:
Ugh every time Asuka opens her mouth its either to say something rude or stupid. She's so annoying. Shinji's a saint for putting up with her. I wish Rei would just slap her.
At least Asuka HAS a personality. Rei is boring as shit.
Aug 15, 2017 7:00 PM

Jul 2009
animalia said:
Inugirlz said:

Not gonna deny she is.

But are you kidding me? Asuka's personality is shit. I don't get how people can like a character so needlessly rude. It's to the point that its just over done.
Aug 16, 2017 4:35 AM
Oct 2011
Inugirlz said:
animalia said:

Not gonna deny she is.

But are you kidding me? Asuka's personality is shit. I don't get how people can like a character so needlessly rude. It's to the point that its just over done.
I didn't say I like her so much as I prefer her to Rei. (again at least with rude there is something there to see) If we are talking favorite characters of the series then my favorite character is Kaji
Aug 16, 2017 3:58 PM

Jul 2009
animalia said:
Inugirlz said:

Not gonna deny she is.

I didn't say I like her so much as I prefer her to Rei. (again at least with rude there is something there to see) If we are talking favorite characters of the series then my favorite character is Kaji

I didn't really get the impression you were saying you actually liked her or found her to be your favourite (otherwise you would have defended her more strongly rather than just comparing her to the doll--I mean Rei) I was referring to people in general since these forums seemed to be filled of Asuka-lovers.

None of these characters really stand out to be a favourite but oddly enough (maybe because I pity him and he's actually a sweet heart--minus his perv moments) Shinji would be the character I like most.
Sep 11, 2017 10:37 AM

Nov 2016
Definitely my favorite episode, comedy, character development and display of teamwork were very good.

Felt also like there was a bit of foreshadowing.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 17, 2017 12:55 PM

Jan 2016
the show is finally starting to get better
Oct 31, 2017 3:45 PM

Jan 2010
Mixxu said:

So EVA's also uses rifles for their weapon I see now. And that plan worked. I guess that Angel wasn't so powerful either if it went down for rifle shot.

This is not totally correct. If you notice the Angel only got killed by the riffle because he had the AT field disabled and got a direct hit. Why? Because he was attacking nerv with the acid at the same time, so AT field did not activate. That's the only reason why he got "so easily" defeated. :)
Nov 4, 2017 8:51 AM

Jul 2013
Teamwork makes the dreamwork!
Jan 22, 2018 5:52 PM

Apr 2015
This episode showed the danger of depending too much on technology...the power going out and everyone running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Asuka was particularly bitchy this episode, especially towards Rei. And the show seems to send mixed signals of "Shinji's dad is an asshole" and "Hey look he's not that bad a guy".
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 17, 2018 9:42 AM

Mar 2016
They're lucky that the angel today was not that floating cube angel that needed a sniper-weapon-thing and all of Japan's electricity.
Gendou might be a good guy but he's certainly now a good father...
Mar 2, 2018 3:34 AM

Sep 2017
I never thought Asuka could be any more of a bitch. She is controlling, manipulative and I hate her egoism. Rei is the kuudere and she is the coolest one. If anything, the fact that Asuka plain right harasses Rei is the one reason why I hate her. But Rei's plan worked. That's why I love her.

Asuka reminds me of Aqua from KonoSuba. Bitchy, needy and thinks of herself as a princess. I hate her. But the fact that Shinji's father was believing(Shinji in Japanese means trust) was cool. Not to mention the fact that they acted cool in that heated conditions by having their feet in water.

Need more Rei x Shinji.

IRONY

LOOK WHO'S TALKING

Take a good look in the mirror Asuka.

JeremiahOrangeMar 2, 2018 3:46 AM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 15, 2018 2:50 PM

Feb 2018
Loved this ep, one of my favorites.

Lots of Asuka hate here, with which I disagree, but I do agree with her that Rei is a smug, self-righteous bitch, well said.

Lukewarm part was hilarious, and it's so sad how Gendo acts toward Shinji.
Although he was pretty cool with preparing the EVAs for the kids.

CatSoul said:
This episode showed the danger of depending too much on technology...the power going out and everyone running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

I wouldn't agree, everyone in Nerv stayed calm, made the best out of a bad situation and defeated the threat, so I wouldn't say that they were running around like headless chicken.
But I do agree that it shows how humans are pretty much still cavemen or even worse without electricity.
Apr 30, 2018 7:23 PM

Nov 2016
Love the teamwork of the three!!!

Love ASUKA! I understand she can be irritating but I love how she is smart and knows what to do. Rei is cool af as always. And Shinji is amazing too.

I'm really glad Shinji brought up why the Angels were attacking cause i was wondering the same! And the fact the title has Genesis on it.. there are alot of Christian symbolisms here and i wonder if it's foreshadowing.. i'm really looking forward to see what will be the twists here
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Yesterday, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.