Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 14, 2019 1:21 PM

Nov 2016
I want to make a 2010's retrospective video either at the end of this year or at the start of 2020. I am asking for some Anime you think defined this decade in advance so I have time to watch most of them before making the video.

What Anime do you think defined the 2010's?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 14, 2019 1:37 PM

Jun 2017
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

Aug 14, 2019 1:40 PM

Jun 2019
Sword Art Online. Not that it necessarily has a bunch of novel ideas, but the series showed how profitable isekai light novels with a self insert protag can be.
Aug 14, 2019 1:44 PM

Jun 2019
Definitely Usagi Drop (2011) as the most popular Josei title.

Aug 14, 2019 1:44 PM

Feb 2013
Attack on Titan is a given; breaks into mainstream and not afraid of anything
Aug 14, 2019 1:49 PM
Aug 14, 2019 1:51 PM

Sep 2018
Attack on Titan, SAO, OPM, Jojo, every popular isekai, MHA, Kimi no Nawa, Monogatari series.
Here, pick your poison.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Aug 14, 2019 1:56 PM

Sep 2018
Sword art edgeboi,Shingeki no screaming...*sight*
That one music club 2nd Season,Madoka magica,Steins;Gate,One fist man

Reflecting on some of them i must say that the 2010s compared to the 2000s, 1990s etc. where pretty trash.
Aug 14, 2019 1:59 PM

Jan 2015
chair-sama said:
Attack on Titan, SAO, OPM, Jojo, every popular isekai, MHA, Kimi no Nawa, Monogatari series.
Here, pick your poison.

mha is trash and probly like 10 people know about monogatari so those are out

aot and sao easily.
Aug 14, 2019 2:01 PM

Jun 2015
3-gatsu no Lion, Durarara!!, Kill la Kill, Boku no Hero Academia
Aug 14, 2019 2:12 PM

Apr 2017
Def aot and sao.
But a few shows came out in 2009 that influenced both, sao more so, and many others to this day.. for better or worse you'd have to agree K-On! and Suzumiya Haruhi made an impact on art styles and helped cement moe into anime.

Aug 14, 2019 2:19 PM

Jan 2015
Thanjh said:
BestBoiEren said:

mha is trash and probly like 10 people know about monogatari so those are out

aot and sao easily.
Did you read what the OP was even asking for? If you want decade defining anime then those two are definitely options regardless of if you think they're good.

I did and I answered the ops question. Those 2 are definitely not defining anything. How can a trash shounen which copies everything from previous shounen and even do worse on the execution part define anything? OP didn't ask for most popular shows of the decade, so maybe you didn't read the title. And while popularity doesn't matter a show can't define anything if like 10 people watch it -monogatari- which again, didn't do anything new, just your usual harem but its boring conversations instead of some isekai shit
Aug 14, 2019 2:36 PM

Nov 2017
So far, Madoka Magica or Shingeki no Kyojin. This is all I can think about. Or the idol genre in general.
Stay gold!
魔法よ魔法よ生まれておいで!
Sasuga Kasuga! Osaka fan club on MAL. Join us if you like Osaka-san!
Aug 14, 2019 2:36 PM

Oct 2013
oh I forgot since I dislike the show but Space Dandy at least important in terms of dubs for the industry for those that care about that

https://myanimelist.net/anime/20057/Space_Dandy
Aug 14, 2019 2:52 PM

Nov 2014
Shingeki no Kyojin
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
AnoHana
Steins;Gate
Boku no Hero Academia
One Punch Man
Kill la Kill
Sword Art Online
Aug 14, 2019 3:10 PM

Jan 2017
Sword Art Online has definitely shaped anime in the 2010s - spawning a thousand imitators and popularising that specific collection of fantasy ideas that make up the isekai 'genre'. Whether it's good or not is debatable - whether it's influential or not isn't.

I wouldn't say Madoka Magica has really defined the 2010s. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the show, but when I think back across the decade about what the anime scene and community was like in general, I don't really think 'darker interpretations of formerly fluffy genres' was the prevalent thing. Like, what came out of Madoka Magica's popularity? There was that Il Sole Penetre la Illusioni show, which was terrible, and this season's Granbelm, which I'll certainly get round to watching, but what else was defined by it? It was a much harder act to follow than SAO, because most writers aren't Urobuchi and most composers aren't Kajiura. Its success was a much less repeatable thing, so I think it had less of a defining impact.

Speaking of Urobuchi and Kajiura, though, you know my pick? Fate/Zero. We've had, erm, quite a few Nasuverse shows this decade, and it was Fate/Zero that paved the way. Unlike Madoka Magica, which was an original property, Fate/Zero already had the work it was a prequel of ripe for another adaptation - and all the myriad spinoffs to tide us over until then. After DEEN's flop on the Fate route, they could very well have just not bothered with Nasu's weird-ass idea and complicated worlds - but Fate/Zero showed it was possible. And, well, we're still getting Fate right up to this season, so the rest is history.
Aug 14, 2019 3:12 PM

Apr 2019
K-On!! - created 1001 Moe blob clones, but still is the definition of the genre and made KyoAni a powerhouse
Monogatari Series - Took writing and visuals to another level
Steins;Gate - Most popular (not rated) series on MAL, redefined Sci-Fi
Sword Art Online - Who said "defined" has to be a good thing? But certainly Isekai became a thing with it.
Attack on Titan - In a stroke of genius invented the meat Meccha genre, replacing the metal versions

They were released early (2010/2011), thus "defined the decade".
inimAug 14, 2019 3:20 PM

Aug 14, 2019 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
Gundam Unicorn took quality to a new level
Hellsing Ultimate continued into mid-2010 too with complete dvd and bd releases. It raised the bar for action series
Aug 14, 2019 3:18 PM

Sep 2017
Even if they're not my favourite ones, I would say :

- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
- My hero academia
- One Punch Man
- Shingeki no Kyojin
- Steins;Gate
- Sword Art Online
Aug 14, 2019 3:39 PM

Aug 2018
Sorry for the long list, but I believe any of these would be a great addition to your video (not including movies):

• Attack on Titan
  • Sword Art Online
  • Hunter x Hunter (2011)
  • My Hero Academia
  • One Punch Man
  • Steins;Gate
  • Your Lie in April
  • Kill la Kill
  • Future Diary
  • Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works
  • Made in Abyss
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • Tokyo Ghoul
  • Death Parade
  • Violet Evergarden
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Aug 14, 2019 3:50 PM

Aug 2019
Your name
DBZ Super
besides the rest already mentioned
Aug 14, 2019 4:11 PM

Nov 2017
inim said:
Monogatari Series - Took writing and visuals to another level

Only visuals. Deep down it's just another vampire-harem-light novel adaptation-ecchi shit with few simple word games and puns.
EdgyEcchiSenpaiAug 14, 2019 4:16 PM
Stay gold!
魔法よ魔法よ生まれておいで!
Aug 14, 2019 4:16 PM

May 2018
Aot, Your Name, One Punch Man, Steins Gate
Aug 14, 2019 4:18 PM

May 2015
K-on would probably be the most influential anime of the 2010's. As well as creating the whole MOE genre it pretty much changed the artstlye if the industry as a whole, brought CGDCT anime to the place it is now and made a powerhouse out of KyoAni. I cant think of a show that's had a bigger impact.
Aug 14, 2019 4:21 PM
Jan 2017
Your Lie in April, Hunter x Hunter (2011), and Attack on Titan are some prominent ones that come to mind. Erased, Noragami, and Mob Psycho 100 could also be included.
Aug 14, 2019 4:24 PM

Nov 2017
billybub said:
K-on would probably be the most influential anime of the 2010's. As well as creating the whole MOE genre it pretty much changed the artstlye if the industry as a whole, brought CGDCT anime to the place it is now and made a powerhouse out of KyoAni. I cant think of a show that's had a bigger impact.

Maybe PreCure series or idol genre, in general (can't think of anything particular besides PriPara)? I'm not sure if they all are inspired by K-On!
Stay gold!
魔法よ魔法よ生まれておいで!
Aug 14, 2019 4:24 PM

Jan 2016
Nichijou, basically an Azumanga Daioh on steroid. Honestly considering that is a 26 episodes show I can't think of an another anime that is not a movie or ova with the same quality when it comes to animation.
Aug 14, 2019 5:08 PM

Oct 2010
billybub said:

K-On! deserves a spot because no other show in its genre has become that big but it didn't really start any trend. Like everything it does has been done before and not by obscure franchises.

I would actually mention that show along with Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online and Madoka Magica. I think they define perfectly some of the major trends in this decade. But K-On! is a more successful version of an already successful formula at the time. It's not like it invented moe, CGDCT, and its associated tropes.
Aug 14, 2019 5:14 PM

Mar 2015
Afloo said:
I want to make a 2010's retrospective video either at the end of this year or at the start of 2020. I am asking for some Anime you think defined this decade in advance so I have time to watch most of them before making the video.

What Anime do you think defined the 2010's?

Stein;Gate (one of the best scifi ever imo)
Sword Art Online (started popularize isekai)
Kill la Kill (Trigger)
HunterxHunter 2011 (shounen that makes other try to fill its shoes)
Fate/Zero (How story and great animation can make a great show)
Tokyo Ghoul/ Attack on titan (How dark edgy shows with bad story raised)
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Aug 14, 2019 5:17 PM

Mar 2015
EdgyEcchiSenpai said:
billybub said:

Maybe PreCure series or idol genre, in general (can't think of anything particular besides PriPara)? I'm not sure if they all are inspired by K-On!

First K-on is like from 2007.

Second, K-on have nothing to do with idol gerne.
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Aug 14, 2019 5:23 PM

Jul 2013
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Idolm@ster and Love Live. They are both huge in Japan.

Also, I believe Free! popularized the "reverse CGDCT" trend.
Aug 14, 2019 5:26 PM

Dec 2016
In terms of influence in the industry no better example than SAO
Aug 14, 2019 5:31 PM

Jan 2018

Why you don't put in a jar of spoiler, that's too much sugar.

On topic it's Sword Art Online but hey I might be a bit bias here.
Aug 14, 2019 5:42 PM

Jun 2016
Sword Art Online. It's also the best anime of the decade
Aug 14, 2019 5:45 PM

Nov 2011
SAO obviously, this isekai shits started with that trash.
Popular doesn't mean defining, but SAO really shaped anime and light novel industry. AoT and OPM although are equally popular, didn't bring something new in this decade.

Madoka Magica and Monogatari are also good candidates, but hey no one is close enough with SAO.
K-On was basically only a "climax" of CGDCT animes, and Fate/zero was only a starter of Fate franchise booming.
And we should not forget the popularity of idol animes like Love Live and Idolmaster in early 2010s too.
Jim_HeartAug 14, 2019 5:48 PM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 14, 2019 6:06 PM
Jul 2018
Steins;Gate.
Attack on Titan.
Psycho-Pass.
Sword Art Online.
Nisekoi.
My Hero Academia.
Maid Sama.
Madoka Magica.
Tokyo Ghoul.
Chunibyo & Other Delusions.
One Punch Man.
Noragami.
No Game No Life.
Your Lie in April.

And, of course, Your Name.

All for different reasons.
Not necessarily based on popularity alone, but also sheer impact on their genres, overall quality, word of mouth and trend-setting.
You don't have to like all those shows, I certainly don't like most of them, but that would be my list. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some...
Aug 14, 2019 6:31 PM

Feb 2019
The first one that comes to mind is definitely K-ON!! I mean, it may have not invented moe SoL, but it sure as hell started a trend this decade.

Others would be Kimi no Na wa, Madoka Magica, Love Live, SAO, SnK... Basically what they all have in common is that they are genre-(re)defining anime that impacted their little niche and became a staple of their genres.
Aug 14, 2019 6:34 PM

Aug 2018
Id have to say sword art online for leading the genres of isekai and power fantasies and introducing the RPG like setting that is in so many animes now

Also the hate train sao got sure helped keeping it relevant for years now
Aug 14, 2019 8:31 PM

Nov 2016
JustMonaka said:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Idolm@ster and Love Live. They are both huge in Japan.

Also, I believe Free! popularized the "reverse CGDCT" trend.
I don't mind that since I was already gonna include Love Live since that is what helped me get back into Anime in 2016. Also because, even though the idol genre already existed, Love Live was the first one to really blow up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2019 8:37 PM

Aug 2017
Jojo's bizzarre adventure
Eromanga sensei
Evry isekai
MHA
AOT
Your name
Aug 14, 2019 8:49 PM
Jul 2011
Not in any particular order:
- Steins;Gate
- Madoka
- BNHA
- Attack on Titan (hype of first season mostly)
- OPM
- SAO
- Mob Psycho
- Fate/Zero
- Nichijou
- Shokugeki no Souma
- JoJos in general
- Monogataris in general
- Pingu in the City (GOAT)
Aug 14, 2019 8:52 PM

Sep 2018
Holy crap, reading through these threads and seeing people discuss all of the amazing anime we've had over the past decade makes me so happy :').

Anime is such a wonderful gift to the world :)
Blanks.
Aug 14, 2019 8:58 PM
Dec 2018
Attack on Titan
Boku no Hero Academia
OPM
Steins Gate
Hunter X Hunter (2011)
Aug 15, 2019 12:28 AM

Oct 2008
Mirai Nikki
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Steins;Gate
Fate/Zero

Sword Art Online
Hyouka
Shinsekai yori
Highschool DxD or Chuunibyou demo Koi ga
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo or Btoom

Shingeki no Kyoujin
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love
Kill la kill
Nagi no Asu kara
Outbreak company

Tokyo Ghoul
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu
No game no life
Noragami or Nanatsu no Taizai

Ansatsu kyoushitsu
Death Parade
Shokugeki no Souma
DanMachi or Kekkai Sensen
Overlord or Rokka no Yuusha
One punch man or Young Black jack
Heavy Object

Re:Zero
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
Boku no hero academia
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Nejimaki Seirei Senki
3-gatsu no Lion

Made in abyss
Fate Apocrypha
Youjo senki
Re:Creators or Mahou Tsukai no Yome
Seikaisuru Kado
Isekai shokudou or Kakegurui
Demi-chan wa kataritai or kino no Tabi
Youkoso jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no

Violet EverGarden
Darling in the Franxx
Sora yori mo tooi basho
Hakumei to Mikochi or Hataraku Saibou
Hinamatsuri or Banana Fish
Golden Kamuy or Tensei shitara Slime
Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai

Don't have a fucking clue.
Aug 15, 2019 12:50 AM

Oct 2017
if I had to pick one for each year:

2011: Madoka Magica (HM: Steins;Gate)
2012: SAO (HM: High School DxD)
2013: AOT (HM: Kill la Kill)
2014: NGNL (HM: Tokyo Ghoul or Your Lie in April)
2015: OPM (HM: Overlord)
2016: BNHA (HM: Re:Zero or KonoSuba)

To be perfectly honest, 2017, 2018 and 2019 have seriously lacked new shows (non-sequels) that really took hold of the whole community. So with that perspective in mind, I don't think we've recently had any shows that defined or redefined the scope of anime in any profound way.
Aug 15, 2019 12:51 AM

Nov 2017
johnbradshaw said:
Second, K-on have nothing to do with idol gerne.

A group of girls managed by some adult, making music, becoming popular, being moe. Yes, K-On! did never ever influence any other genre than keionism. Jesus Christ, you even know what "incluence" means?
Stay gold!
魔法よ魔法よ生まれておいで!
Aug 15, 2019 1:27 AM
Jul 2018
Warning, there are a lot of contenders:
Aug 15, 2019 1:34 AM

Jun 2016
SAO, because it's all been fucking garbage.
Aug 15, 2019 3:37 AM

Jan 2018
Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online, One Punch Man, My Hero Academia and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure probably. They'll probably be the 5 remembered for many years to come.
Aug 15, 2019 4:11 AM

May 2017
Sword Art Online anime series,Angel Beats,Second season of K-On,High School DxD,Monogatari Series,Overlord,Re:Zero,Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works,KonoSuba,Madoka Magica,Kimetsu No Yaiba,Steins Gate,Steins Gate 0,Tokyo Ghoul series,Love Live series,IdolMaster,Carnival Phantasm,Guilty Crown,GochiUsa,Bunny Girl Senpai,The Pet Girl of Sakurasou,Hyouka,Durarara!,Charlotte,Girls Und Panzer,Akame Ga Kill,Koe no Katachi,Kimi no Na Wa and Violet Evergarden are only animes that i can think of that defined the 2010's. They are good enough to be somewhat memorable to almost anyone who liked them and enjoyed them.
There is no bad waifu,only bad anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» New anime fans have an extreme inferiority complex and huge beef with older fans

EastIndiaCompany - 15 minutes ago

3 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 14 minutes ago

4 by Ishitateso »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

43 by APolygons2 »»
3 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

28 by DigiCat »»
6 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

13 by Lucifrost »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.