Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2019 9:01 AM
Mar 2015
Great job of opening the story and giving us the background to understand Thorfinn and his father. Good job of showing Leif Erickson who inspired Thorfin with his stories of Vinland
Jul 8, 2019 9:26 AM
Feb 2018
CrayonColorLife said:
Forgive me ,but can you elaborate more on the tone of the scene?I do not get what you mean by "(romanticized, 'superhero' warriors, standing above the rest)".I did not get any of that while watching the scene.I'll take back what I said about it being pointless though.I don't feel that way anymore.

Well, I super-summarized it. The tone is actually a bit more complicated than that I think.

On the one hand, it's classic Nordic heroism of legends. Thors and his ally were running around slaughtering dozens of enemies, several with single swings. Thors doesn't even blink when he takes an arrow in the chest. They're basically superhuman.

However, because we're watching the scene from Thors' perspective, that Valhalla-heroism culture is not portrayed as a good thing at all. It's gritty and awful.

So maybe I should have said that the setting was 'Romanticized Vikings', and the tone was critical and somber, with an anti-war message.
Jul 8, 2019 10:33 AM
Jul 2018
This show knows how to open a series. We got some good world building and nice and neat introductions to the characters. Nothing out of the ordinary, standard character development . I can already tell the writing is going to be very character centric. Going to be interested to see how this works out. Wanna see some plot in the next couple of episodes.
Jul 8, 2019 11:33 AM

Jul 2016
Finally, let's see if this lives up for my huge expectations after reading the masterpiece manga. So far so good. I don't mind the CG animation during fights since that's not the most important part of the story anyway. I didn't really like the song choice for the OP but that's not very impactful overall. Great first episode and I wonder if this will get an English DUB soon. This is one of those anime I'd prefer to watch dubbed.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Jul 8, 2019 11:53 AM

Mar 2013
So the Saga begins.

I see all these people posting on the internet about all the violence and bloodshed and how great it is, little do they know.....

I see they skipped the In media res opening of the manga (which I think is good idea) Originally Vinland was published in a shounen magazine but switched over to another magazine I think maybe 4 or 5 chapters in and its really obvious. Definitely a good decision.

OP is kinda meh but the ED is pretty good. I think it fits the series well.
Bring back down votes on reviews
Jul 8, 2019 11:58 AM

Jul 2014
THAT OPENING IS STRAIGHT FUCKING FIRE, LITERALLY WHAT BERSERK SHOULD'VE BEEN WIT WHAT TH EFUCK PLEASE ANIMATE BERSERK
Jul 8, 2019 1:03 PM

Oct 2017
WOW!
Characters are really nice ,animation also
Let's go with second ep ;)
Jul 8, 2019 1:46 PM
Apr 2016
Amazing setting, really unique vibes and atmosphere. I expected that slave to become one of the main characters, but damn, he died right away... Exciting so far.
Jul 8, 2019 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
WIT LITERALLY SAVED THE YEAR. God, what a first episode.
Jul 8, 2019 3:19 PM
Mar 2019
Having loved the aesthetics of AoT and the praise that Kabaneri constantly receives, I have high visual expectations from Wit Studio;

And right off the bat I am thoroughly pleased! Some great cuts in the opening 3rd with great utilization of 3D camera work and almost seamless cgi.

A banger of an OP! Wit knows how to pick them

This concept is refreshing and intriguing and seems to be paced pretty well. The landscapes are stunning, colour palette and composition are equally as breathtaking.
The character designs are extremely similar to that of AoT, but hey; why fix what isn't broken right?
Jul 8, 2019 3:29 PM

Jul 2014
wxjpjgsvne said:
WIT LITERALLY SAVED THE YEAR. God, what a first episode.

how can you do shingeki season 3 part 2 with literally episodes on top of best episodes of all time on imdb BACK TO BACK WITH THIS SHIT?

WIT IS BASED, BASED CARRYING THE DEGENERATE ANIME INDUSTRY ON THEIR BACK
Jul 8, 2019 5:01 PM

Aug 2017
Sooooo.....they skipped the first chapters......awkward
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2019 6:39 PM

Apr 2018
Mattinator95 said:
I looked at the first few pages of the manga and looks like they are rearranging scenes ???
yes they did, the anime skipped the first 2 chapter, and chose to adapt the flashback first (chapter 3 - 16)
Jul 8, 2019 6:49 PM
Oct 2016
Jfs_ said:
Mattinator95 said:
I looked at the first few pages of the manga and looks like they are rearranging scenes ???
yes they did, the anime skipped the first 2 chapter, and chose to adapt the flashback first (chapter 3 - 16)

The wording of your might make confusion. Anime did not skip the chapters those chapter will be adapted after this set up. I think the direction anime is going for is better.
Jul 8, 2019 8:33 PM

Jun 2014
Ohhh that was interesting!
I'm worried for the family though.
We all know Dad is good as dead...

But I'm pretty sure sister and mother have a pretty awful fate ahead of them.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jul 8, 2019 11:04 PM
Apr 2019
This is boring af, and where's the waifus?
Jul 9, 2019 12:25 AM
Aug 2011
^Most likely place for that trash is up your own ass.

I really enjoyed this. Best 1st episode of the season that i've seen.
Though expectations will be tempered because I know how quickly anime can take a bad turn.
Looks great now too but I also expect that to dip as well.

Excited for Askeladd and teen Thorfinn.
Jul 9, 2019 12:33 AM
Apr 2019
stand said:

Though expectations will be tempered because I know how quickly anime can take a bad turn.

No thanks, I am not into that Sarazanmai type of stuff. But if you are, hey you do you.
Jul 9, 2019 1:37 AM

Jan 2016
The animation is infinitely better than most of the shows this season... Wow, what a great start.
Jul 9, 2019 1:55 AM

Apr 2018
The CG at the start kinda scared me but after that everything else was great.

OP was pretty intense and had some really nice animation.
The ED was really nice, Aimer has such a nice voice.

Definitely pulled me in with the first episode, time to binge the rest.

    I'm not lazy...
      I'm just very unproductive.

Jul 9, 2019 2:02 AM

May 2015
elementex said:
stand said:

No thanks, I am not into that Sarazanmai type of stuff. But if you are, hey you do you.
waifus are for autistic people
nanashi796Jul 9, 2019 2:06 AM
Jul 9, 2019 3:13 AM

Dec 2016
To any of you manga readers out there, I know that this episode covered what was chapter 3/4 (I think) of the manga... was it a wise move? Or should they have adapted how it was in the manga, showing the present and not the past? I only skimmed through chap. 1 so I'm wondering how someone who's properly read it feels about how they went about adapting it.

I think throwing us into a first episode with Thorfinn grown up might've been a cool enterance to the series, with the backstory coming later. Basically did the anime fuck up here or is this new structure good?

Actually I should probably just shut up and watch episodes 2 and 3.
Jul 9, 2019 3:19 AM

Feb 2017
Mesacboy said:
To any of you manga readers out there, I know that this episode covered what was chapter 3/4 (I think) of the manga... was it a wise move? Or should they have adapted how it was in the manga, showing the present and not the past? I only skimmed through chap. 1 so I'm wondering how someone who's properly read it feels about how they went about adapting it.

I think throwing us into a first episode with Thorfinn grown up might've been a cool enterance to the series, with the backstory coming later. Basically did the anime fuck up here or is this new structure good?

Actually I should probably just shut up and watch episodes 2 and 3.

This episode covered chapters 3 and 4. As whether what's better, I can't really tell. I think both approaches are good.
Jul 9, 2019 4:36 AM

Jan 2016
great start. Loving the setting and the animation. Also why are people saying that the CGI was bad, it looks great.
Jul 9, 2019 5:21 AM

Dec 2009
Niello said:

If he did that he would've incited a fight with Halfdan, which will most likely result in deaths. That's stupid.

That runaway slave is still Halfdan's property. If they catch that Thor euthanised him that would've caused a huge problem.

And how would they prove it? You just have to say he died in his sleep due to hypothermia or do you think they'd perform an autopsy in the 9th century?
Jul 9, 2019 5:52 AM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
OP was not my cup tea but it fit what Vinland Saga is all about. I liked the fight scene in the beginning. Thors was emotionless and I loved it; he came to get a job done that is all. Outside of battle I liked that they showed he had a heart when he bought the dying slave. My only gripe i wish there was no cgi.
Jul 9, 2019 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
Good and watchable so far.
I'm loving Thors and little Thorfinn.

Not so fond of the cgi.
Opening and ending are easily skippable for me; especially the opening sequence 'cause of the song.
If there is a metal song I can't skip that is Virgin Soul's "Let It End".
Jul 9, 2019 8:09 AM

Jan 2019
youthful said:
Good and watchable so far.
I'm loving Thors and little Thorfinn.

Not so fond of the cgi.
Opening and ending are easily skippable for me; especially the opening sequence 'cause of the song.
If there is a metal song I can't skip that is Virgin Soul's "Let It End".

CGI was fine in my view, better than the majority of shows these days.
Jul 9, 2019 8:31 AM
Feb 2016
Grim1952 said:
Niello said:

If he did that he would've incited a fight with Halfdan, which will most likely result in deaths. That's stupid.

That runaway slave is still Halfdan's property. If they catch that Thor euthanised him that would've caused a huge problem.

And how would they prove it? You just have to say he died in his sleep due to hypothermia or do you think they'd perform an autopsy in the 9th century?

Autopsies have been around since 300 B.C.

That aside, do you really expect a man of Thors character to murder a slave in front of his family, then attempt to lie about it and cover it up?
Jul 9, 2019 9:47 AM

Mar 2019
Mucosa said:
Sooooo.....they skipped the first chapters......awkward

Don't think so. There is footage from the first few chapters in one (or many?) of the promotional videos they have released. They just rearranged stuff. We'll likely get that content in episode 5. It's not content that can be skipped.
Jul 9, 2019 9:52 AM
Aug 2018
MAAN!!!! This honestly blew me away. Way more contemplative than I though for an action show. I heard this is from the writer of Planetes, so we're in for a ride, because what got me worried was the director. Not anymore
Jul 9, 2019 10:09 AM
Oct 2017
Grim1952 said:
Niello said:

You don't need proof. His slave died in Thor's house. He can basically pull all sort of BS for his benefit. Also, Thor's thing is basically that he's done with any sort of killing. Do you think euthanising ever crossed his mind as an okay thing to do?
Jul 9, 2019 1:46 PM

Sep 2017
Awesome,the action kinda reminds me of aot and beserk but in its own unique way

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Jul 9, 2019 2:46 PM

Oct 2015
A solid start with good fights. Let's see where that goes

Thors should've either mercy killed the slave or gave him away. It was very easy to see that the guy hadn't had much time left. He would probably be dead by the time they brought him back to torture him anyway. Wasting livestock like that probably isn't a good idea in the harsh environment that is Iceland.
Jul 9, 2019 3:58 PM

Jun 2019
Orhunaa said:

Thors should've either mercy killed the slave or gave him away. It was very easy to see that the guy hadn't had much time left. He would probably be dead by the time they brought him back to torture him anyway. Wasting livestock like that probably isn't a good idea in the harsh environment that is Iceland.

It's certainly illogical, however, I think the purpose is to show and more clearly define Thors' character.

As for the episode, It was a strong showing. We'll just have to see if they can keep up the momentum.
Jul 9, 2019 4:09 PM

Oct 2015
Wicker_Senpai93 said:
Orhunaa said:

It's certainly illogical, however, I think the purpose is to show and more clearly define Thors' character.

As for the episode, It was a strong showing. We'll just have to see if they can keep up the momentum.

Yeah, yeah I agree. I think the point was to accentuate the change of heart of Thors and the abandonment of his old ways and I think it works as intended albeit a tad on the nose.
Jul 9, 2019 4:22 PM

Aug 2015
An interesting anime. The transition between the years wasn't bad. Curious if that blond haired character at the end was the son...it probably is. The OP was good but not my taste. Can't wait to see what happens in this anime.
Jul 9, 2019 4:26 PM

Jun 2019
Orhunaa said:
Wicker_Senpai93 said:

Yeah, yeah I agree. I think the point was to accentuate the change of heart of Thors and the abandonment of his old ways and I think it works as intended albeit a tad on the nose.

Agreed, it works well but I'd say it was a little more than a tad on the nose. I think they could've made it seem less stupid if Thors had bargained a little more. Mabye six 🐑 instead of eight 🐑? It's still an irresistible deal. That way it wouldn't seem like Thors was putting the life of a dying slave above the needs of his own family.
Jul 9, 2019 5:44 PM

Jul 2016
Grim1952 said:
Great animation and very good use CGI, i'd have euthanised the slave with a pillow while he was halucinating tbh, wasting 8 goats... there's a difference between kindness and foolishness.

That does not fit the narrative of a man who fought so hard to resuscitate him in the first place.

Unless of course you just think murdering guys is okay like you seem to think...
Jul 9, 2019 6:58 PM

Apr 2019
Jokuc said:
Great first episode. I liked the OST and the sounds. The visuals are also amazing. I don't think the CGI is perfect but it is way better than what you see in most other anime.

As a Swede this is a lot of fun to see, it's so cool to hear them mention parts of history. For those of you who don't know, Leif was a real person (though they spelled his name wrong, it's supposed to be with a K not C. And two S) and Vinland was a real thing (it's called Canada nowadays). I love how they went into such detail that the flowers they show on the ground are flowers that are very common in Scandinavia and the nordic countries.

I must say I don't really like the opening, neither the song (I don't like screaming) or the visuals (would have liked to see something more symbolic rather than battles), would have been cooler to get something that fit the viking theme more. ED is good though.

As a swede, what do you think about vikings with japanese manners?

fotos full hd

It doesnt make any sense to me.

What about the mind set of viking society? Do you think that´s the way vikings look at the slaves? What about the social scale? what are the mc and the bad guy? Jarls ? hersirs ?

I cant understand why there are some many people hyped with this and rating the show as a masterpiece when its clear that who created this story dont know anything about the vikings, and its a shame that someone could even think that this show had the same quality as the HBO series.
Jul 9, 2019 8:01 PM

May 2015
Gingko said:
Jokuc said:
Great first episode. I liked the OST and the sounds. The visuals are also amazing. I don't think the CGI is perfect but it is way better than what you see in most other anime.

As a Swede this is a lot of fun to see, it's so cool to hear them mention parts of history. For those of you who don't know, Leif was a real person (though they spelled his name wrong, it's supposed to be with a K not C. And two S) and Vinland was a real thing (it's called Canada nowadays). I love how they went into such detail that the flowers they show on the ground are flowers that are very common in Scandinavia and the nordic countries.

I must say I don't really like the opening, neither the song (I don't like screaming) or the visuals (would have liked to see something more symbolic rather than battles), would have been cooler to get something that fit the viking theme more. ED is good though.

fotos full hd

What about the mind set of viking society? Do you think that´s the way vikings look at the slaves? What about the social scale? what are the mc and the bad guy? Jarls ? hersirs ?

I cant understand why there are some many people hyped with this and rating the show as a masterpiece when its clear that who created this story dont know anything about the vikings, and its a shame that someone could even think that this show had the same quality as the HBO series.

You're talking out of your ass, completely.

Jul 9, 2019 8:05 PM

Apr 2019
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Gingko said:

fotos full hd

So could you explain to me why this show is a good adaptation of the viking society/culture? and why I am wrong? I guess you are an expert .

that´s why I´m fuckin asking, cause I want to know.

GingkoJul 9, 2019 8:11 PM
Jul 9, 2019 8:14 PM

May 2019
That opening scene was incredibly animated. Beautiful as hell.

I went in not knowing what to expect, came out pleasantly surprised. I like the parallelism with the real world, too, but I'm really interested to see where this goes.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jul 9, 2019 8:20 PM

May 2015
Gingko said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

So could you explain to me why this show is a good adaptation of the viking society/culture? and why I am wrong? I guess you are an expert .

that´s why I´m fuckin asking, cause I want to know.

It's not going for 100% historical accuracy. It's using the time period, groups of people, and different countries to tell a fictional story. Liberties are going to be taken in some areas. The example you gave was the epitome of a nitpick btw.

Jul 9, 2019 8:32 PM

Apr 2019
So that´s what you were talking about.

I´m fussy just when a show tries to take itself serious like this one does. Also if the show is the second in the airing rate list in MAL.

I´m not expecting 100% accurancy, but that kind of things I cant ignore.

But if we have to do it just cause the show has nice art, blood and fights I guess I should take off my adult eyes and put the teen eyes, so nobody will get pissed off.
Jul 9, 2019 8:37 PM

May 2015
Gingko said:

I´m fussy just when a show tries to take itself serious like this one does. Also if the show is the second in the airing rate list in MAL.

But if we have to do it just cause the show has nice art, blood and fights I guess I should take off my adult eyes and put the teen eyes, so nobody will get pissed off.

I don't even understand what exactly you're complaining about at this point.

Jul 9, 2019 8:48 PM

Apr 2019
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Gingko said:

I don't even understand what exactly you're complaining about at this point.

Yeah, you are right it was just personal stuff and I relived some things I use to discuss with my mates, mb, lmao.

whatever you got a point.
Jul 9, 2019 10:01 PM

Sep 2017
Between Dr. Stone, Fire Force, and now this, Summer 2019 is going to be a fantastic season for action. Good shit.

We get an amazing action scene literally 60 seconds in. What the fuck. I loved the choreography and camera work. The CG was really good in comparison to what I have seen, even this season (looking at you, Arifureta). If I remember correctly, isn't Vinland North America? Where is Leif keeping his tobacco for the pipe? As someone who absolutely despises the cold, that blizzard made me nervous. Was he polishing the boat? I'm not very knowledgeable about the daily chores of Vikings. How did Leif get out of that situation? You can't leave me hanging like that. That Halfdan guy ripped the NPC's off was fucking brutal. Thors is such a badass, sacrificing eight sheep to let a slave die in peace. I love him.
Jul 9, 2019 10:58 PM

Nov 2017
Holy sh*t this anime so fcking awesome. Yeah they using aimer in ending song.

Jul 10, 2019 12:45 AM

Aug 2016
Long live Leif Erikson, the first cultural appropriator!!

This adaptation is closing with a flourish this decade and can´t be more excited. 3 episodes in a row its the comfiest thing ever.
MichaelJacksonMar 13, 2020 11:29 PM
:v
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

392 by joelius__0 »»
Yesterday, 1:16 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.