Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 9, 2019 12:02 PM
Apr 2019
I agree this anime is overated in the sense that review bombing it for CGI that isn't perfect is ridiculous, I'm not stating that the anime should be 10/10 but compared to other ratings of other shows that are just GOD awful(animation, CGI, music being worse etc)... this is just too much. People genuinely come in here, hear an anime has hype around it, watch (maybe not even) episode 1 find any flaw they can and use that as a focus to justify giving an episode 1 a 1/10.

This has gotten absurd and there is no way to fix it unless MaL hires people with unbias or an understanding of reviewing like critics (who aren't bought off by anime studios) which they wont because this isn't designed for that and why should they... the amount of anime I've seen fall in score 5 years after for no reason other than review bombs is ridiculous.

It also works the other way around... MaL has become a ground for opinion wars and not legit focused reviews. At this point they need to disable 1/10 and 10/10 reviews as they're only being used to combat in this shitty little war people have got going on.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 9, 2019 12:22 PM

Nov 2010
Yes,I agree. This is becoming so ridiculous at this point but like you said there is nothing much that can be done apart from not allowing any rating below 3 and above 9. At this point if people are looking for reliable ratings they need to look for other sites.
CheezaApr 9, 2019 12:50 PM
Apr 9, 2019 1:14 PM
Jul 2009
An_Addict said:
You seem to think that this doesnt happen with all other anime? Its just that a lot of other anime has other redeeming features

Claiming the show doesn't have any redeeming feature after only one episode makes absolutely no sense. That's the kind of retarded mentality OP is complaining about and it's easy to see where he's coming from.

That said, the problem is not that people give shows 1/10 or 2/10. The problem is they're rating the show after only one episode. I think MAL should allow rating a show only after at least 3 episodes have been broadcast.
Apr 9, 2019 1:29 PM
Apr 2019
An_Addict said:
1. 6.7 is an extremely generous score for an anime of this quality 6.7 is considered above average. animeplus has most common score set at 7 neglecting the lower part of the scale. The 1-10 scale exists for a reason
2. Hiring people isnt gonna fix any bias just like if you check the scores of any mainstream movies on sites like rotten tomatoes you will realize critics often completely disagree with the audience.
3. Disabling 1/10 and 10/10 is dumb, it will inevitably just end up with people using 2/10 and 9/10 as replacements. and If you continue along that line of reasoning you will soon be stuck with communist reviews where all anime has the same score making the entire score system superfluous
4. You seem to think that this doesnt happen with all other anime? Its just that a lot of other anime has other redeeming features. There is no objectively correct score to give an anime, people rate based on their enjoyment and they clearly didnt enjoy this anime as much as other anime

Anything below a 7 has been known to be labeled as complete shit by the majority of people I've seen using the site, while the 1-10 scale does exist it hasn't been seen on the terms of 1 is bad and 10 is great for the longest time here (it's more accurate to say people look at 5/10 to be trash 7/10 to be average and 9/10 to be great.) I agree that critics on certain sites have shown to be flip floppy in what they like, but they also have their fair share of problems with the user reviews purposely review bombing in the same way (Review bombing to spite critics). At least with critics we can understand their opinions without it being "this shit sucked 1/10" without giving a proper explanation or having a legit reason for that score. While critics won't solve everything it just gives another option that hopefully wouldn't be heavily influenced by opinions or money.

While disabling 1/10 or 10/10 would be seen that way, the fact is it's only being used in shitty temper tantrums to change the score against the majority and it is a huge problem, while maybe not a perfect change and in extreme circumstances it might lead to the users using different ends, it will only really hurt the people who aren't giving a fair review and ease the average. It might not be the best or effective it was more of a suggestion.

Also I didn't exclusively say it was this anime, it was happenstance that this anime was the one that made me want to write my thoughts. It's fine people don't enjoy an anime, what's annoying is that when they don't like it or really like it they default to 1/10 or 10/10 (more so in review bombs) and deters from people actually analyzing the anime objectively and giving their opinion.

What might be best is if MaL took a page out of Steam reviews book, that honestly might be the best solution.
RethromonoApr 9, 2019 1:37 PM
Apr 9, 2019 2:09 PM

Jul 2008
Putting this anime aside, I have taken a few years off of anime. I really think when I left the mean score for anime was often 7.4 or so. Now every season TONS of shows are below 7s, and even in the 5 range. I feel like the whole system is skewing lower over time.
Apr 9, 2019 2:41 PM
Jul 2018
The synopsis looks cool as hell and the only criticism I've seen is CGI and from what I've seen, it doesn't look too bad. I'll probably watch this along with Death Parade.
Apr 9, 2019 3:50 PM

Oct 2013
Yep, the synopsis is cool, and the first episode was fine. It definitely made me want to see more. The characters seem likeable and the VAs are doing a good job. The music is fine, though the op/end songs are rather generic - but, to be fair, most anime openings and endings are generic. CGI aside, it's well animated, and I love this art style. And the CGI itself is serviceable, I guess. It's not noticeably worse than in many other newer series.

I'm also shocked by the score. I was expecting something around 7.0~7.2 at the very least. I agree that the ratings on MAL seem to be less and less reliable. I remember watching Double Decker and being similarly shocked by the unusually low rating - I mean, fine, it wasn't Tiger & Bunny, to this day we don't even know where was that advertised connection to the world of T&B, and the plot twist at the end was weird and rushed, but otherwise it was a charming series with great music (and with an AMAZING outro) and colourful characters of the type that you can't help but miss a bit after a given series ends.
AirsaberApr 9, 2019 3:58 PM
Apr 9, 2019 4:11 PM

Apr 2014
I haven't started watching yet (plan to) so I don't know how the 1st episode is so far but how is it that it is already a 6.7 rating when there is only 1 episode out?? I never post in the forums so maybe this is just something I'm not familiar with but it seems weird to me. You would think people would wait for a few more eps. to come out before judging it hardcore but I digress.
Apr 9, 2019 4:15 PM
Jul 2009
An_Addict said:
As an example take "In another world with my smartphone" or "The rising of the Shield Hero".

I honestly think those two shows are wish fulfillment harem trash regardless of their first episodes.

An_Addict said:
It is only very rarely I have encountered an anime with a bad first episode ending up being good.

Except you think a first episode is good when it gives you a lot of information about the characters and the story. I think that's just spoon-feeding. All I need from a first episode is some preliminary introduction of characters and plot. I don't need the first episode to get in-depth. I want the plot to unfold along the way. Same with character development.

An_Addict said:
In the case of Fairy Gone I personally thought they not only overdid the amount of CGI they also had an extremely confusing story which is what I believe is causing the dislike of the anime so far.

I've no idea what you think was confusing about Fairy gone's first episode. It was extremity straight forward and easy to understand. It gave a introduction of the characters and the backdrop, and even a bit of the main premise. For a first episode, it did more than enough.

An_Addict said:
I dont see any realistic way to combat people leaving bad reviews on day of release and I dont see any reason to do so. Remember it can also go the other way with bad adaptations that people rate highly due to their enjoyment of the source material.

Again, I don't think you can always tell how a show is gonna be just from the first episode. Sometimes you can, but not always. Case in point, no one really knew how dark Madoka was gonna get until
in episode 3. It's really at that point, in episode 3, when the story begins.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
LoveLikeBloodMay 1, 2019 10:51 AM
Apr 9, 2019 9:43 PM
Aug 2015
The average person on this website has no idea how to objectively rate anything. They go off the school metric of '70%' is average and rate everything 7's if it's just OK. It's not surprising also that they shitbomb review things and give little no no critical thought of what they're actually watching beside whatever the hive-mind on /a/ or reddit decides is kosher. The fact I see constant 10's on reviews for shows is a joke, that should be given out so incredibly sparingly yet people throw it around and demean it's worth.

also using meme arrows on MAL, sure hope you don't do that anymore!!!!

Apr 9, 2019 11:33 PM
Jun 2012
MAL has always been trash, and most of the users are equally so. Just come here for information and don't ever expect any sort of community or real ratings. It's just so you can compare scores with friends for fun. Most here are idiots who over analyse everything to try and sound intelligent.
Apr 9, 2019 11:57 PM

Sep 2015
@Rethromono

I've started to enjoy anime much more after disabling scores and reviews via uBlock Origin (right click → block element; repeat until you're satisfied with the result; if something breaks - check "My Filters" tab in the options and remove the faulty ones).

There's nothing wrong with relying on other people's opinions, but honestly seeing them involuntarily all the time is much more harmful than it's useful. Many shows with the scores lower than 7 are very enjoyable, yet the people think they're utter trash without even trying to watch them.

Apr 10, 2019 12:13 AM

Dec 2013
This show is quite bad tho.
Basically Sirius 2.0, but worse.
Apr 10, 2019 12:47 AM
Jul 2018
Way too long of a thread so just going to summarize my opinion:
1. MAL deletes, or atleast stops showing reviews of shows that were written while the show was still airing (it's tagged as Preliminary)

2. Most users on MAL aren't the brightest of minds when it comes to reviewing(including me), we just give it the score we think it deserves.

3. The reason negative reviews are alot more prominent is because of the people that didn't like the show, it's like that psychological thing where you feel like absolute shit when losing something, but feel barely any emotions when winning something.

4. People don't think shows with 7> scores are bad, they just think it's very mediocre and not worth their time. People only really call something a "trash show" when it's below 6/6.5
Apr 10, 2019 1:24 AM

Oct 2015
It's bad though, and the score reflects it. If it isn't as bad as new episodes come out then it will eventually hit the 7 mark.
Apr 10, 2019 8:10 AM

Mar 2012
My mean = 4,48
It's not like I don't like animes.
For me 5/10 is a decent anime that I like to watch but who doesn't struck me.

People have their own scale, stop considering everybody with your point of view..
Apr 10, 2019 8:19 AM

Oct 2017
I've had to stop caring about ratings at this point, and I've only been on MAL for like... a couple years. I first joined to not only keep track of the shows I watch but also to filter out what's good and what isn't. Except, when you have quality shows and people giving bad ratings (I can't remember what show it was, but the other day I checked the reviews and the people that gave it 3-6 need to have their heads checked), you literally cannot trust other people's judgement.

For real, we literally don't know anything about this particular show, other what we've seen in the first episode. For now the jury's still out on it -- I need to see more episodes before I can assess whether it's good quality or not. So far I have no complaints about it.
Apr 10, 2019 12:03 PM
Apr 2019
Aelyn said:

I've started to enjoy anime much more after disabling scores and reviews via uBlock Origin (right click → block element; repeat until you're satisfied with the result; if something breaks - check "My Filters" tab in the options and remove the faulty ones).

@Aelyn I honestly will consider that, thank you!

EGOIST said:
It's bad though, and the score reflects it. If it isn't as bad as new episodes come out then it will eventually hit the 7 mark.

@EGOIST While it might as well end up being bad, I have personally seen anime with way terrible productions at this score range and in my opinion I don't think this compares to most of them. But it could be a 6.5 or an 8.5 my point was more it's been skewed (and many other anime) by these ridiculous ratings that aren't truthful and it's kinda getting even more out of hand.

Psytrance said:
Obviously this requires creating an alt account. Are you afraid of using your main one, OP?

@Psytrance This is my main one, I normally just use MaL as a way to find anime and not share what I've seen etc. So I haven't created an account besides now.
RethromonoApr 10, 2019 1:48 PM
Apr 10, 2019 1:52 PM

Jun 2012
MAL has always been unreliable and unusable. Wait til the show is finished at the very least before even looking at the score, and even then take it with a boatload of salt.
Shoot first, think never.
Apr 10, 2019 3:10 PM

Oct 2013
Why? The first episode was dogshit, from the plot to the characters to the QUALITY animation to the bad CG.
Apr 10, 2019 4:38 PM

Mar 2014
HellsMalice said:
MAL has always been trash, and most of the users are equally so. Just come here for information and don't ever expect any sort of community or real ratings. It's just so you can compare scores with friends for fun. Most here are idiots who over analyse everything to try and sound intelligent.

+1
FACTS right here.
This could not be anymore truer then it is.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Apr 10, 2019 11:49 PM

Apr 2016
if an anime is actually good eventually it's rating will increase no matter what the rating was at the start but in all honesty first episode of fairy gone was just meh..
will w8 till 3 4 episodes to give it a rating.....
PhantomAssasinApr 10, 2019 11:56 PM
Apr 10, 2019 11:54 PM

Nov 2009
If MAL is unusable then why are we using it

Seems like an overreaction to me
Apr 11, 2019 1:09 PM
Sep 2017
Why do you assume that it's because some peoples have put 1/10? maybe it's because a majority of the people who watched the first episode thought it was just average, not very good or very bad and put a 6 or a 5. Also that's only the score now, it will probably change with the new episodes.
Apr 11, 2019 1:14 PM
Feb 2019
going to have to agree. MAL was the first site I started using and the great part of it is the depth of entries for both anime and manga. However, more often than not i find high 8 - 9 avg. shows here to be overrated and low 6 - 7 shows to be underrated. as always reviews are subjective but I have found other sites to be more accurate of my preferences (Baka updates for manga in particular). This is a good reminder not to judge a series off of its MAL score
Apr 11, 2019 3:56 PM

Aug 2013
When will people realise that aggregate MAL scores do NOT have a perfectly symmetrical Normal Distribution, with 5/10 being "average" and anything above that should be reserved for "good" anime.

People will rate it however they like. Since anime is for entertainment of course there is a skew towards the higher end of the rating system. This is most likely due to people not watching shows they're not likely to enjoy, or dropping them before they finish the episode if it's boring (I do this a lot). So the people who end up scoring would give mostly what you guys think is always a "good" score of 7 and above. If I'm giving my time to something for 12 x 24 minutes at least, then I want tha time to be worth at least a 7/10 or 8/10. Why would I sit through something I deem to be worth only half of the available points it can get on a rating system?
ittou_shuraApr 11, 2019 4:00 PM
Apr 12, 2019 2:41 AM

Nov 2014
I hope MAL is just the MAL Anime fan base subjective reviews/responses forever.

While I check out lots of Anime in a normal season and make my own mind up anything that I watch that is already completed is normally an 8+.
Apr 12, 2019 3:22 AM

May 2012
6.7 is too low

it should be at least 7
Apr 12, 2019 4:46 AM

Oct 2017
This isn't new. And yes, the MAL review system requires improvement.
Apr 12, 2019 4:56 AM

Feb 2013
You should try actually looking at the stats before screaming about people sabotaging scores by giving it a 1/10.

Apr 12, 2019 6:45 AM

Apr 2011
/welp
Looks like there is yet another show that I'm gonna have to watch and love just to spite the instant rating people. ;b
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Apr 12, 2019 7:34 AM

Dec 2015
Slendermang said:
the school metric of '70%' is average

I still don't understand this concept. I thought percentages for school marks (I'm in a country where the common way is using a 20 points scale) were meaning that people had succeeded in this % of the test. Like, for example, someone who only did well on 50% of an exam (based on the score value of each exercice, not the "length" or whatever) got the average score (in other words, 50%).
I myself wouldn't consider having the mean/pass mark good but in no way is it terrible. If 70% is average in North AMerica, are students only considered doing good if they reach 90-100% ?

@EGOIST Apart from the clunky 3D figures integration, what was actively bad ? It was simply run-of-the-mill as far as this episode could tell us.
Rei_IIIApr 12, 2019 7:38 AM
Apr 12, 2019 7:43 AM

Jun 2013
My rating for the first episode was 5. Average. I might raise the score by the end of the series if it improves.
臭い-
Apr 12, 2019 7:57 AM

Sep 2017
But if everything is treated or reviewed the same way, then, does it even matter? All anime is the victim here, hence, it doesn't make any other anime any more of a victim than the others, for they all have encountered shitty biases too...

Everything is grounded on shaping people's minds and biases, and I think an anime that could combat that is the greatest of the caste! HAHA!

"The universe was made, just to be seen by my eyes."
Apr 12, 2019 12:18 PM
Jul 2016
The issue is MAL is used as a reference site for many of those who are causal and hardcore in the anime scene. There’s plenty of people who watch everything and will see Fairy Gone. The problem is a show like Fairy Gone is something that is the exception and not the rule in anime. There’s few original concepts targeted at a more seinen audience that get the green light from production studios.

MAL is a reference point for many causal viewers and when they see scores many of them sit in the 7-8 range and the stuff below 7 are seen as outliers and things to probably avoid. You can usually draw correlations between a score and viewing audience, very few shows with low scores have a high viewer count on MAL, there are exceptions but it’s not the rule. You had to go all the way down to 12th on the list of last season in terms of viewer count to encounter a show as low scored as Fairy Gone.
It’s no wonder why the top 2 shows of last season had over 5x times the amount of viewers as the 12th ranked show (with a score of 6.70).

Most causal viewers will see that score and pass on it. While Fairy Gone may just be an average run of the mill anime in the end, if it doesn’t get a viewership it can turn studios away from investing in any new, original concepts and just churn out adapatiaons of subpar LN’s, isekai clones, etc. which is the real tragedy here. If anything, the well spread lipnus test for anime is 3 episodes like everyone has stated. Maybe the best thing for MAL to do is to close all ratings on shows until the first 3 episodes air. This way people can judge it on more than one episode and can avoid knee jerk reactions like what we’ve kinda witnessed here.

While shows like Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress shit the bed in the third act, at least it tried some new things re animation, presentation, even if it was an AoT clone. At the very least Kabaneri was given a chance to get off the ground and unfortunately some shows like Fairy Gone don’t get that chance unless they’re “perfect” in episode 1. I think a lot of us would be happier if we had fun, original I.P.’s coming out each season like Zombie Land Saga, Madoka Magica, Psycho-Pass, Kabaneri (the first half anyway), and even something like Fairy Gone then having studios putting money into half ass adaptation of shitty source material like Isekai no smartphone and Conception.
Apr 12, 2019 2:08 PM
Aug 2018
Rethromono said:
I agree this anime is overated in the sense that review bombing it for CGI that isn't perfect is ridiculous, I'm not stating that the anime should be 10/10 but compared to other ratings of other shows that are just GOD awful(animation, CGI, music being worse etc)... this is just too much. People genuinely come in here, hear an anime has hype around it, watch (maybe not even) episode 1 find any flaw they can and use that as a focus to justify giving an episode 1 a 1/10.

This has gotten absurd and there is no way to fix it unless MaL hires people with unbias or an understanding of reviewing like critics (who aren't bought off by anime studios) which they wont because this isn't designed for that and why should they... the amount of anime I've seen fall in score 5 years after for no reason other than review bombs is ridiculous.

It also works the other way around... MaL has become a ground for opinion wars and not legit focused reviews. At this point they need to disable 1/10 and 10/10 reviews as they're only being used to combat in this shitty little war people have got going on.
Rethromono said:

100% AGREE 😤!! PREACH MY GUY
Apr 12, 2019 6:33 PM
Oct 2015
I mean... 6.7 from the first episode seems a bit over-the-top, I can't argue that. I haven't watched it yet, but I plan on giving it a chance (though the ratings have thus far swayed my interest in the show considerably).

Still, a 6.7 isn't terrible. It's generally accepted on this site that anything below a 7/10 is below average (despite how 5 is considered average on MAL's grading system), but 6.7 is close enough to the 7 mark that it could bounce back in time. We'll have to wait for a few more episodes to see where the anime truly belongs.

In my opinion, the ratings of shows are typically appropriate for that show. Very rarely do I disagree with MAL's scoring. The scoring system will never be perfect, just as humans are unable to be unbiased/view something "objectively", but the idea stands true. So yeah... I'd pretty much agree with user "An_Addict" on this one.
AndrewappsApr 13, 2019 3:33 AM
Apr 12, 2019 8:46 PM

Aug 2017
MAL scores a joke. They mean nothing.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 12, 2019 9:34 PM

Feb 2019
Don't take MAL ratings seriously.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Apr 13, 2019 1:34 AM
Sep 2016
This is legitimately my favorite anime this season so far. The CG is actually pretty decent, and I'm guessing a lot of the poor ratings are because it looks like Jojo but isn't Jojo. Polarizing anime will always have scores of 5-6. MAL scores are a joke.
Apr 13, 2019 3:05 AM

Oct 2017
Let's see...
Gonna vent out everything wrong about this anime
I do not oppose CG, I do not agree many of the Mal rating, and I really want to like PA Work's porject, but this first episode is just ... bad.
And it's hard to defend it.

The opening is the only good part about this anime.
CGI is breaking immersion, yet the CGI part is the only part which combat is actually good...
The 2D combat camera, position is questionable and kinda awful to say the least.

Characters are all unlikable from the get go, especially Maria.
She's the type of mc I despise the most... Like geez, your friend already killed dozen of people as terrorist, and all you do is telling people not to chase/hurt her while she kill everyone? Why not try stopping her yourself to avoid more bloodshed? Wtf?

Also why is this government guy recruiting this terrorist's friend who not only know and want to help the terrorist, but she outright interfere the mission and cause the fugitive to escape?

Also the direction and pacing is not good either. We watch the same flashback 3 times in just 1 episode, and the shifting of scene is just awkward.

The production quality and animation is not good either (just because the color frame is good =/= good animation/ production). This anime quality is like 1/10 the quality of Nagi no Asukara.

Please PA, if you can't handle combat , don't make a combat oriented show.
I really want to like your work, but this first episode is just bad.
Modified by Ventus_S, 26 minutes ago
Apr 13, 2019 3:32 PM
May 2017
Kamiyan3991 said:
This show is quite bad tho.
Basically Sirius 2.0, but worse.

why though? and somebody explain why Sirius is "bad".
Apr 13, 2019 5:42 PM

Aug 2018
I see what you're saying and i agree, that does happen, but i don't think there's enough people doing that to change the score more than half a point.
I didn't even know there was any hype behind it, but a 6 feels right to me...
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Apr 13, 2019 6:04 PM

Sep 2014
All the people saying this anime is bad have absolutely no idea what a bad anime truly is. Either this or either their brain cannot process too much exposition for them. They need to be spoonfed everything otherwise they'll get lost.
Apr 13, 2019 8:51 PM

May 2018
This is a good show actually. People are overreacting.
Apr 13, 2019 11:44 PM

Oct 2007
Apr 14, 2019 1:23 AM

Dec 2014
I don't watch something based on its scoring on MAL anymore as many anime on MAL that are rated below a 7 are actually not even bad and some I have actually really enjoyed if I like the PV and the synopsis sounds interesting enough I will give the anime a try and I will make my own judgement on it.
Apr 14, 2019 12:12 PM

Aug 2012
Your problem is Americans, they are the only ones in the anime community who overhype junk and down rate good stuff because its "too hard" for them to comprehend.
I seen anime that were rated 5/10 and wondered what in Gods name made people rate this 5?
Then I realised because it contains something that offends Americans too easily.
Its like when Americans started to review bomb LOGH back in the day, yeah...
Does not mean everything rated 5 or 6 is a masterpiece, of course not people have different opinions outside America in the real world, but generally you should take scores with a grain of salt, a good example of American kids rating anime 10 out of 10 because it contains the most cliche love story in the universe
Kuzu no Honkai and Domestic Girlfriend where super hyped and almost had scores of 8 when they came out, why? Because they contain goodie scenes that Americans like, frankly I never seen such bad anime with characters so dumb you have to question whether these were originally hentai stories that TV Tokyo tried to make child friendly or something.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
- Plato
Apr 14, 2019 1:23 PM
Apr 2019
SMGJohn said:
Your problem is Americans, they are the only ones in the anime community who overhype junk and down rate good stuff because its "too hard" for them to comprehend.
I seen anime that were rated 5/10 and wondered what in Gods name made people rate this 5?
Then I realised because it contains something that offends Americans too easily.
Does not mean everything rated 5 or 6 is a masterpiece, of course not people have different opinions outside America in the real world, but generally you should take scores with a grain of salt, a good example of American kids rating anime 10 out of 10 because it contains the most cliche love story in the universe
Kuzu no Honkai and Domestic Girlfriend where super hyped and almost had scores of 8 when they came out, why? Because they contain goodie scenes that Americans like, frankly I never seen such bad anime with characters so dumb you have to question whether these were originally hentai stories that TV Tokyo tried to make child friendly or something.

I won't disagree. I just finished the first arc of Boogiepop and all the comments were filled with people screaming how it made no sense, how bad the writing is and that they need a couple of brains to understand it.
I doubt that most of the toxic anime community read books, because Boogiepop's narration till now has been superb. Goes back and forth, and the viewer has to sit back after the episode to piece together what exactly happened. Seems as if most of the MAL community don't like to use their brains and want a liner narration. I'll be checking out Fairy Gone especially because it has a bad rating.
Apr 14, 2019 1:51 PM

Oct 2017
SChazal said:
SMGJohn said:

I won't disagree. I just finished the first arc of Boogiepop and all the comments were filled with people screaming how it made no sense, how bad the writing is and that they need a couple of brains to understand it.
I doubt that most of the toxic anime community read books, because Boogiepop's narration till now has been superb. Goes back and forth, and the viewer has to sit back after the episode to piece together what exactly happened. Seems as if most of the MAL community don't like to use their brains and want a liner narration. I'll be checking out Fairy Gone especially because it has a bad rating.

Lmao, people who said this is good storytelling and writing really need to go expand their knowledge and pool of anime/ novel/ story as a whole..

There're much better execution out there. The backstory of Fairy Gone is good, but the execution, characters ,pacing are handled horribly, thus the low rating.
We got the same 3 flashback in the same episode cuz the director thought the audience is too stupid to understand mcs' relationship, so gotta replay it again and again to try to force on their chemistry on us. Instead of use it as a hook, instead of using more subtle way to reveal their relationship, they choose to fed up right in our face and expect us to sympathize both mcs, which they failed miserably doing so. All I get from this whole thing is Mariya is whiny, annoying, obsessive, and irresponsible.

Seriously it's not just American, I read other comments from China and most of them agree this first episode is bad, with questionable direction and characters. The animation and quality is not even good in first episode standard. Especially in PA Work standard this first episode production value is trash.
Ventus_SApr 14, 2019 1:57 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Gone Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2019

51 by Thewatcher_22 »»
Feb 18, 2022 9:11 AM

Poll: » Fairy Gone Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2019

72 by JaniSIr »»
Jan 23, 2022 7:58 AM

Poll: » Fairy Gone Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2019

65 by JaniSIr »»
Jan 23, 2022 7:18 AM

» Is this worth watching?

removed-user - Oct 7, 2021

6 by Pangolin44 »»
Nov 3, 2021 8:26 AM

Poll: » Fairy Gone Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2019

51 by Kap92 »»
Aug 15, 2021 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.