Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2019 2:14 PM

Aug 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Harou leaves Koharu an old school challenge letter.
Enter a new Goth sensei, who takes Koharu to meet a bunch of pro odd balls in a night arcade, I guess there are gaming places even Harou knows nothing of.
Harou vs Koharu and damn so close, but Harou wins marking the return of his God Gaming status.
Koharu is pissed, as are her new odd ball friends.
I feel bad for her, but Oono is clearly the one Harou has eyes for.
Final scene shows Harou meeting Oono's sister playing strip mahjong, final episode should be a good one.

“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Mar 20, 2019 5:55 PM

Mar 2016
I wasn't feeling this episode at all. This match was being built up and then these nobodies narrate over it like some shitty battle show, which turned it into a spectacle rather than something supposedly so important to Hidaka. Was hard to connect to until the last few minutes of the episode.
Mar 20, 2019 10:16 PM

Mar 2014
This hidden elite gamer group just feels like they came out of the woodwork huh? And the ringleader is a lolita. Mixed feelings on that.

But it was nice to see that Haruo practiced hard so he could beat her fair and square. Too bad they beat him up out of jealousy lol

Cool that he finally met Ono's sister. Seeing a talking version of her is weird lol
Mar 20, 2019 10:44 PM

Oct 2018
Loved this episode, sadly I disagreed with the ending of the arcade duel and think this episode should have been the 13th and included both girls resolving things once and for all face to face. Sadly they gave Koharu the short end of the stick, was really disappointed that it went with the predictable innocent & sacchrine shojo ending, instead of doing something original like having Koharu actually defeat Harou the obnoxious and oblivious dimwit.
Mar 21, 2019 12:10 AM

May 2015
Well this isn't fair. Hidaka has a sparring partner!

Free battles after hours? That's not fair!!!

Well that's unexpected. No Demitri or Morrigan mains?

Three different games, best out of three. KOF '95, Samsho, and Darkstalkers...those are some hard games...

Fun fact: In arcades, some players tend to favor the second player position because since most people play on the first player position, the joystick and buttons of the second player position are not as worn out, thus leading to better inputs.

Hmm..I think what Felicia means by Hidaka missing something is that Hidaka is playing to win while Haruo is playing his best. In other words, it isn't fun for Hidaka to play this way...And she picks Mr. Genocide Cutter...

"While she is determined to win, he is enjoying himself while fighting." CALLED IT!

Darkstalkers is the last game. Bishamon vs. Huitzil (aka Phobos)...Here we go!

Guard-cancel conditioning!

"You're so damn loved! Let's beat the crap out of him!" LOL!

Aww, Hidaka hates herself so much. Such is the feeling when losing after training so hard.

Haruo encounters Makoto! Let's see how fun this gets!
Mar 21, 2019 4:06 AM

Aug 2009
Best girl Hidaka loses... Not completely unexpected but I'm still sad.
Mar 21, 2019 5:06 AM

Aug 2014
She just picked Rugal, she deserve to lose.
Mar 21, 2019 5:35 AM

Jan 2017
Gothic-redhair-big titis-gamer girl.... What more could you ask for?

I didn't think that Hidaka would lose, this might end the love-triangle but I still want for her to be happy after all.
Mar 21, 2019 9:52 AM

Jun 2015
JokerVentura said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Enter a new Goth sensei, who takes Koharu to meet a bunch of pro odd balls in a night arcade, I guess there are gaming places even Harou knows nothing of.
Harou vs Koharu and damn so close, but Harou wins marking the return of his God Gaming status.
Final scene shows Harou meeting Oono's sister playing strip mahjong, final episode should be a good one.

His name is Haruo.
Mar 21, 2019 10:04 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Crap, I accidentally clicked the 4 out of 5 option. Any idea how to change it to a 5 out of 5?

Great episode, again!

Hidaka-focused episode this time and it was quite the intriguing episode too! A lot of focus and game play commentary on the games this episode, even by this show’s standards.

Hidaka attending ‘night games’ and having a mentor, followed by those fans, was a sort of advantage or to say but that’s nothing when it comes to ten times as much experience. Bloody hell though, she put up a really good fight nevertheless! It was only through a glimpse of Oono that Harou barely managed to fend her away. I, for one, am completely oblivious to games in general but that super move looked pretty darn cool and must’ve been difficult to implement at that very moment too. Great stuff! I didn’t like how he responded after the fight though, but hey that’s our main character lol. I really hope to see an apology from him next episode. Guess there’s absolutely no chance for Hidaka after all, even though it’s quite obvious already, he’s totally all over Oono but the question is when will he realise it.

Meanwhile, Hidaka is not giving up just yet! She’s more determined and will probably only get better exponentially from here onwards, good luck with that Harou!

And then that cliffhanger! Harou meets Mikoto while she’s immersed into Mahjong, can’t wait to see what happens next!

I feel like I should at least save up the last episode for tomorrow(rather later this morning), but I can’t help but binge to see more so saving up for tomorrow totally not happening.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 21, 2019 10:11 AM

Aug 2016
Switch_Z said:
JokerVentura said:

His name is Haruo.

Well damn, I apologise for mixing up the o & u, one moment....

“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Mar 21, 2019 11:44 AM

Dec 2017
Saw the reverse sweep coming a mile away but still feelsbadman. Curious to see what role Ono's sister plays in the next episode.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Mar 21, 2019 2:44 PM
Oct 2017
This episode was intense, I feel bad for Hidaka, but at the same time, I'm in the YaguoXOno ship ._.
Mar 21, 2019 8:31 PM
Mar 2015
Game over,Hidaka. He never did understand your feelings
Mar 21, 2019 10:39 PM
Jan 2019
Wow! For a moment I hoped that Hidaka would win the duel, he tried hard, but hey, the victory was Haruo's. It saddens me a little, but it does not make me angry. Either one deserved to win.
It's not what I expected, but I'm satisfied. What a good chapter, tension and emotion felt in the environment.
PS: I was surprised to see that another girl existed, apart from Ono and Hidaka, who played video games and even the best ones. I would like to see a confrontation between her and Haruo or Ono.
Mar 21, 2019 11:54 PM

May 2015
Poor Koharu, she deserves better. She can't compete against the main girl of this show. I just want everyone in this anime to be happy.
Mar 22, 2019 7:08 AM

Sep 2009
I'm so happy that Haruo won!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!
Mar 22, 2019 6:19 PM

May 2016
This feels so rushed compared to the manga, the best is yet to come so I hope this improves.

Damn I hate Haruo is like "nothing happened" after he won.
Mar 23, 2019 2:15 AM

May 2016
The Hidaka vs Haruo battle was not nearly as epic as the manga showed it, but it was still cool.

"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Mar 25, 2019 7:31 PM

Jan 2013
Koharu was another victim of not being the main girl...at least she got Phobos to cheer her on lol
Apr 4, 2019 11:47 AM

Mar 2010
I really feel for her.. i dont get why he prefers ono rlly who never talks. But well he likes challenging games so challenging girls might be his preference?

He really is clueless..
May 16, 2019 2:27 AM

Feb 2018
Hidaka vs Haruo. Haruo win xD.
Jul 5, 2019 4:12 AM

Sep 2012
Chloe-tsundere said:
I really feel for her.. i dont get why he prefers ono rlly who never talks. But well he likes challenging games so challenging girls might be his preference?

He really is clueless..

i see future where she is dating that harus friend who was with him there 😊

Aug 12, 2019 6:43 AM

Jan 2008
This was a very intense episode - perhaps the most intense in the whole show so far.

The duel between Haruo and Hidaka was really nerve-wrecking and I really did not know who was going to win, although I guess when Hidaka's new mentor remarked that "Hidaka fights to win, while Haruo enjoys fighting" that was the moment that foreshadowed the outcome. This was probably also the best comment regarding their duel - apart from Miyao coming in out of nowhere and instantly grasping the situation and pledging his support to Haruo - he's really best bro.

I felt bad for Haruo since he was alone and Hidaka had all the support from her new gaming buddies, so it was nice that he appeared. Also regarding Hidaka's new "friends", apart from the goth loli, all the others seemed like a bunch of idiots. For supposed "pro" gamers they commented like amateurs when watching the duel and acted more like Hidaka's groupies instead of her mentors/superiors as they should have been.

Which makes me wonder why are there no competent male gamers in this show? For a supposedly male-dominated field (especially in the 90s) there's a severe shortage of them. I guess there is Haruo but his performance has been vastly inconsistent and most of his victories have been against nobodies.

Back to the duel, I guess it was a foregone conclusion that Haruo would win since he really enjoys gaming, as opposed to Hidaka who just does it in order for him to acknowledge her. Which made it all the more tragic when she did not manage to do even that at the end and seeing her lash out at Haruo helplessly was pretty heartbreaking. What wasn't so, though, was her so-called friends all ganging up on Haruo at the end - I mean WTF. This completely ruined the otherwise emotional moment and made Haruo - and those who beat him up - look like idiots again.

In the end, I feel a bit bad for Hidaka, but the ending suggested that she's going to be all right. She has a bright future as a gamer, if she decides to pursue it, and the way she applies herself to everything she does tells me she will do all right in life. For Haruo, even though he won the duel, he still looked like a loser at the end with him acting like a showoff and getting his ass kicked again. It's kind of frustrating since this has been the tendency with him since the very beginning of the show - just when he does something cool - he either does something stupid right afterwards, or somebody else (usually Ono) beats him up for it.
Aug 15, 2019 2:40 AM

Jan 2011
MKSTEEL said:
Loved this episode, sadly I disagreed with the ending of the arcade duel and think this episode should have been the 13th and included both girls resolving things once and for all face to face. Sadly they gave Koharu the short end of the stick, was really disappointed that it went with the predictable innocent & sacchrine shojo ending, instead of doing something original like having Koharu actually defeat Harou the obnoxious and oblivious dimwit.
We're still a way off before Ono and Hidaka confront each other.
Aug 15, 2019 3:56 AM

Oct 2018
ReaperCreeper said:
MKSTEEL said:
We're still a way off before Ono and Hidaka confront each other.
Yep recently rewatched the series, Extra Stage, and watched the new trailer, it all comes to a head in Hi-Score Girl II, which sounds like it will close out the story HOORAY!
Sep 28, 2019 10:57 PM

Oct 2008
So sad to see Hidaka lost against Haruo and she ended-up with so many tears!
LOLZ every time i hear the voice of the older sister of Ono Akira, i always remember Baka from Joshikousei Mudazukai! haha
5/5.

one more episode and i can get ready for the S2!!!

Sep 30, 2019 4:12 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Samu-tan said:
Best girl Hidaka loses... Not completely unexpected but I'm still sad.

Way, Tarou managed to avoid Hidak's trap, that a close one.
From starters it is BS someone in love would force someone that doesnt love him/her to go out together and be a couple over something like a competition.

It is love, you either love or you dont, noneless it was Hidaka, so I will chill in respect to the love she deserves (Ono best girl).

Hopefully we will have lots of Ono in the next episode?
Oct 13, 2019 8:56 PM
Jan 2016
Hidaka and Haruo battle was really awesome, Hidaka lost, i felt bad for her!

The pos ending wa sinteresting, haruo found Ono's sister!
Nov 4, 2019 8:17 PM

Nov 2013
This is fucking harem.
Main guy is a totall asshat and Hidaka is just pathetic.
I agree the battle is cool and all those retro games are totally awesome. But the story is just horrible!
Nov 20, 2019 9:15 PM

Sep 2017
Of course Hidaka was going to lose. How could anyone want her to win and awkwardly "force" her way into a relationship that Haruo doesn't really want to be in? She'll just hurt herself more. The battle definitely had a weird air to it, but I think that's fitting. I couldn't see myself getting hyped up for a match that's a lose-lose situation all around.
Nov 28, 2019 11:44 PM
Aug 2017
Finally, so Hidaka hasnt given up on Haru yet but its looking hopeless for her tbh , im 70% on Ono Akira now.
Dec 13, 2019 1:53 PM

Aug 2017
Well, Hidaka loses. So sad!

Finally a game I care lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 2, 2020 11:05 AM

Sep 2019
Ohh no I'm feeling terrible for hidaka (best girl). It's not like I didn't know waht the outcome would be but still :( I'm sorry hidaka, I don't care what the developers think about this but for me she is the one and only.
Feb 12, 2020 1:55 PM

Mar 2019
Was not a fan of this Triangle as it felt quite forced. TBH...was hoping Koharu would have gone with Miyao after this episode. Would have worked so much better both for the anime and audience in my opinion but alas, thats not how things go in Anime.
Vanilla
Mar 21, 2020 11:47 AM

Sep 2019
Every time, the 2nd option always have to lose to make the main one good. And he doesn't even consider her efforts and making fun of her after winning. Really disappointed on him. Idk why this even gets a 8.14 such a good rating? :/
Mar 25, 2020 11:49 PM

Aug 2017
Haruo is a real gaming dweeb. Really unrealistic that any girls would like him. Hidaka deserves better.
Apr 15, 2020 9:55 AM

Jul 2015
Kind of predictable end of the battle between pupil and master

I really hoped they would had a talk afterwards about the reason for the condition

May 26, 2020 1:30 PM

Jun 2017
I was expecting the result we ended up with but hoping it wouldn't happen. It would have been truly great to have Hidaka win after she gathered her will to confess and trained day and night for her love to bear fruit. unfortunately we ended up with the unfortunate and predictable ending of her losing, followed by Harou being a huge a**hole to boot. I am glad he got beaten up. He certainly deserves it after the way he acted. I am very sad for Hidaka tbh.

PS: This anime having a beautiful young woman go to an arcade to play strip mahjong of all things is both weird and hilarious lol.
Jun 7, 2020 12:42 PM

Feb 2017
It's really annoying how Haruo, and by extension the show, doesn't treat Koharu seriously.
𝘼 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙡 𝙙𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙗𝙤𝙙𝙮
Dec 31, 2020 1:34 AM
Feb 2014
Vysarine said:
This hidden elite gamer group just feels like they came out of the woodwork huh? And the ringleader is a lolita. Mixed feelings on that.

But it was nice to see that Haruo practiced hard so he could beat her fair and square. Too bad they beat him up out of jealousy lol

Cool that he finally met Ono's sister. Seeing a talking version of her is weird lol

Haruo and Koharu no longer go to the same school so we don't know what she has been up to (besides going to arcades regularly). She has leveled up of screen and it'd make sense for people to notice her skills. I think its obvious step for any of the main three characters to get pulled into a competitive scene.
Jan 18, 2022 9:49 PM

Feb 2019
Sad that Hidaka lost... but somehow that entire match didn't go as exciting as I expected. It felt a bit hollow. Maybe because of those new weirdos narrating it?

And Haruo is such a jerk for reacting to his victory that way. It may be true, but he clearly doesn't understand people's feelings. She's completely lost all her hope and Haruo is just trampling all over her feelings. For a supposedly good guy, Haruo often disrespects the feelings of other people, and this is one of the worst things he's done.
May 23, 2022 6:30 PM

Aug 2017
Dang rip to Hidaka

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jun 14, 2023 6:43 AM

Dec 2022
Another great episode

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Score Girl: Extra Stage Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mxxxstation - Mar 20, 2019

83 by dspr »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:33 AM

Poll: » High Score Girl: Extra Stage Episode 1 Discussion

JokerVentura - Mar 20, 2019

35 by dspr »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:46 AM

» What are you thoughts on how they ended hi score girl extra

Jp124 - Mar 23, 2019

2 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 23, 2019 4:48 AM

» Will this adapt the reamining chapters?

LuteFlute - Dec 30, 2018

26 by vellabrown »»
Mar 21, 2019 1:54 AM

» Promotional Video(PV)

_MushiRock11_ - Dec 26, 2018

5 by LastLuminescence »»
Dec 30, 2018 11:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.