Forum Settings
Forums

In general, are anime youtubers good critics?

New
In general, aree anime youtubers good critics?
Yes
27.9%
No
72.1%
315 votes
Jan 11, 2019 11:15 PM
Jul 2018
I'm talking about people like GR Arcada, Gigguk, Digibro, Under the Scope, people who either make full-length anime reviews, or give a detailed analysis on them. Do you believe they're legit, actually, good, critics?

I don't think so. I think a true critic goes into far more direct, complicated, detail. In highschool, I had to write analysis papers. Now, I'm not going to brag and say something like I was great at writing analysis papers, but I remember the analysis papers we were shown were far FAR more advanced than I've seen anything from anime Youtubers.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 11, 2019 11:34 PM

Dec 2016
there's probably some good advanced reviewers out there, but most of the ones i've seen are very basic/dull/cringe.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 11, 2019 11:41 PM

Sep 2009
Some are. Most of them are shit heads that can't distinguish different between insightful analysis and talking in circles.
Jan 11, 2019 11:44 PM
May 2018
Frroku said:
The worst Youtuber criticer, is undoubtedly Chibireviews. I just can't handle to that dude. He's so lame.
Usually, I don't follow reviewers, but few months ago, I saw him talking about some Dragon Ball Super episodes, and he was okay.
Jan 11, 2019 11:44 PM
Dec 2017
I don't watch a lot of anime reviews but some of the youtubers I watch have done a good overall analysis of a series. They don't critique everything but they talk about things like characters.

The Anime Man has done a few. I like how he describes an anime's animation and art style. A recent example of this is his video about Dororo. Sometimes, I don't agree with him though because of how he judges certain anime.

The BEST anime youtuber I've watched is NuxTaku. He makes in depth analysis videos on characters and their psychologies, character relationships, settings, story telling, and etc.

In general, I can't answer the question because there are many anime youtubers and I don't watch a lot of them.
Jan 11, 2019 11:49 PM

Apr 2016
The only good critics I know are I, me, and myself.

Everyone else is shit.
Jan 11, 2019 11:54 PM

Dec 2015
There are good critics on youtube, eg. Bob Samurai, Gigguk and Grex. Rest all are wannabes. Arkada is also good, but it feel like he ignores the negative aspects of a show he likes.
Jan 11, 2019 11:56 PM
Aug 2014
When it comes to youtube stuff, basically the aim of the creators is to monetize their own video.

I doubt they will give 'proper critiques' because the risk of hated buy its butthurted viewers.

I trust youtuber such as anime man as a person who know well Animanga but when it comes to reviewss he obviously try to pull back himself into the safezone.
Jan 11, 2019 11:59 PM

Jul 2017
gigguk makes great videos that usually shows the best and worst of shows, but mothersbasements or "geoff" just likes to piss people of and force his vies alot. plus he shits on some of my favorite shows
/url].
Jan 12, 2019 12:13 AM

Apr 2016
HopefulNihilist said:
I'm talking about people like GR Arcada, Gigguk, Digibro, Under the Scope, people who either make full-length anime reviews, or give a detailed analysis on them. Do you believe they're legit, actually, good, critics?

I don't think so. I think a true critic goes into far more direct, complicated, detail. In highschool, I had to write analysis papers. Now, I'm not going to brag and say something like I was great at writing analysis papers, but I remember the analysis papers we were shown were far FAR more advanced than I've seen anything from anime Youtubers.

Their main objective is to get money out of YouTube, thus going with what most people want to hear. If you want to hear criticism YouTube is one of the worst places to look out for. Don't waste your time with their worthless opinions. Rather watch whatever they are talking about and form your own opinion instead.
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Jan 12, 2019 1:08 AM

Apr 2018
Wow that's a pretty generic question.
Anitubers are quite the number, I think it's very likely that there are going to be the ones which critic u approciate and the ones u don't.
If I'm to name my favourite, it gotta be gikkuk.
Jan 12, 2019 1:10 AM

Feb 2018
I don’t mind Under the Scope tbh but I can’t stand the rest
Jan 12, 2019 1:17 AM

Apr 2018
Frroku said:
Psajdak said:
Usually, I don't follow reviewers, but few months ago, I saw him talking about some Dragon Ball Super episodes, and he was okay.

He speaks slowly, as if he had not even written a script. His reviews are simple. He always speaks well to every anime, which means that it is mostly but is afraid on getting dislikes lmfao. This is why I dislike most of them. They have to talk about what "really" they think about in those anime, not about what the audience wants to hear. It doesn't matter if they are wrong. They should express their profound opinions.

God, why humanity, just why. I really can't believe I'm reading this.
Has the thought that not everyone is a toxic cancer who needs to shit on other taste to go on living ever crossed your mind?
What if people actually like to talk about what they like and what they're passionate about? Is it really that crazy to think of?
Jan 12, 2019 1:18 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No, for the most part, they aren't capable of even the most superficial level of analysis, which can be sufficient depending on the anime, but it's still shallow. The bandwagon is the worst part about them, though. That's the why the anitubers worth watching are the ones that are capable of some kind of original thought.
Jan 12, 2019 1:25 AM

Nov 2011
No, they are just bunch of shills. Just give them a series merch to sponsor and they'll put some good words for the series. Pathetic.

Jan 12, 2019 1:26 AM

Mar 2017
It's simple mathematics really.

Generally, someone who consumes more anime (or more of anything really), which AniTubers do, will observe more patterns and develop better critique than someone who doesn't. In general.

In practice, different people learn at different paces and not all AniTubers are created equal.

Of course, everything from published books/journals expounding on some work or even just master's thesis papers from literature majors are another league entirely.

Titles like "History No Longer Fuzzy - Weaving the Kaingin into the Temporality of A Season of Grace", "Postcolonial Studies in the House of US Multiculturalism", or "Literature and Environment (On Ecocriticism)" can be pretty exhaustive. AniTubers on the other hand try to distill their analyses to fit the shorter (and to some extent, more casual) format of the medium they are doing criticism in.

I'll end this with AniTuber recommendations for anyone actually interested: UnderTheScope, ReplayValue, TheCanipaEffect
EankiJan 12, 2019 1:41 AM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jan 12, 2019 1:40 AM
May 2016
i'm fine with critics, but i just don't read or watch reviews often, i have plenty of time to watch what i want to watch, and i'm obviously going to value my opinion more. i like demo, but he's gone now, so i don't like any of them. i thought these two videos were good though
ShiroanonJan 12, 2019 8:34 AM
Jan 12, 2019 1:40 AM

May 2018
Well,I don't listen to critic. The only one I listen is Gigguk but mostly due to his comedy. I do enjoy his recent analysis on Slime and Index video.

Jan 12, 2019 1:52 AM

Jun 2014
vhagar8 said:
Frroku said:

He speaks slowly, as if he had not even written a script. His reviews are simple. He always speaks well to every anime, which means that it is mostly but is afraid on getting dislikes lmfao. This is why I dislike most of them. They have to talk about what "really" they think about in those anime, not about what the audience wants to hear. It doesn't matter if they are wrong. They should express their profound opinions.

God, why humanity, just why. I really can't believe I'm reading this.
Has the thought that not everyone is a toxic cancer who needs to shit on other taste to go on living ever crossed your mind?
What if people actually like to talk about what they like and what they're passionate about? Is it really that crazy to think of?

Because this fandom is terrible. From my experience, most anime fans are absolutely grotesque to be around and I don't blame the haters for trashing us. Anime fans are toxic and cringeworthy and just meme overused memes. My suggestion: Accept it and ignore 95% of Anime fans.

I also want to say, the hate anitubers get on here is absolutely hilarious. Face it. They are relevant and don't care what jealous nobodies think. They are getting payed and laughing while it feels like mal shits on them because I can only assume mal users believe they are top tier anime fans and above anituber opinions.
KagamiJan 12, 2019 1:56 AM
Jan 12, 2019 1:54 AM

Feb 2018
Yea most reviews by the big youtubers are pretty basic, but that might just be to appeal to a larger audience.
Take gigguk for example, when he talks about a show it's not very deep, but it's entertaining, and he gets his point across, for me that's all that matters.
Jan 12, 2019 2:02 AM

May 2017
Guys like Geoff try to make analysis videos but they end up always being too long-winded. This is mostly the case for anitubers like him but on the other hand, you have people like Gigguk who don't attempt to dive too deep into analysis for fear of confusing their target demographic.

A concise and underappreciated Youtuber who does good analysis on anime would be Kamimashita, check him out if you're interested.
Jan 12, 2019 2:07 AM

Apr 2017
No. Sometimes I watch their videos just for the entertainment.
saamariumJan 12, 2019 2:15 AM
Jan 12, 2019 2:13 AM
Nov 2018
Meanwhile this site produces some of the most amazing reviews. The irony is just too much, taking shots on anime YouTubers when these people themselt can't write up a review with no bias in it
Jan 12, 2019 2:44 AM

Sep 2018
Alexandxr and Arcada are actually good at critical reviews.
Also used to like Gigguk but nowadays his content is repetitive. TheAnimeMan, mother's basement, akidearest among others are totally shit tho.
Jan 12, 2019 2:50 AM

Apr 2017
someone is only a good critic if their opinion favours your own...that's how it goes
Jan 12, 2019 2:52 AM

Dec 2018
I think people take Anitubers too seriously. I view them as no different than how anime blogging used to be.
YouTube is the dominant format over blogging now in terms of longer content, although podcasts are common too though not as much as YouTube in terms of an audience. So Anitubers are no different than a random Aniblog to me. Some Anitubers are better at entertainment some are better at essays or analysis.
CheaniJan 12, 2019 2:59 AM
Jan 12, 2019 3:04 AM

Sep 2015
I general they are not. If we speak of anime youtubers as a whole, then the majority of the anime youtubers make top lists and maybe AMVs though I think the latter one is less popular these days.
Jan 12, 2019 6:35 AM

Jan 2014
only when they criticize fairy tail
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jan 12, 2019 6:58 AM

Oct 2015
It's always interesting to see someone's view of certain anime. Although that doesn't mean throwing your own opinion out of the window. If you wanna watch something but legit everyone says it's shit. just try it LOL

ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
ꜱᴇᴛ ʙʏ ᴍᴀᴢᴇ <3!

Jan 12, 2019 7:05 AM

Nov 2008
I don't trust Youtubers when it comes to anime reviews.

Jan 12, 2019 7:09 AM
Jul 2018
Gigguk, Arkada are good. Animeman and Chibi are garbage.
Jan 12, 2019 7:16 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
trying to maintain the status quo imo makes you uninteresting, which is a main reason why i don't fuck with reviewers

if you're just going to say what you think the crybabies want to hear, im not fucking with you, especially when you yourself are one of them

i know youtube now caters to snowflakes now but still... i feel like the ONLY WAY you can be a successful anime youtuber is if you try to protect your image
Jan 12, 2019 7:43 AM

Oct 2014
No, but also not for the reason you think. "True" (professional) critics don't go into super amazing detail, at least that's not how professional critics go about things nowadays. They're short to medium range articles that are condensed to get their point across, as they have to do this for everything under the sun.

Long-form YouTube reviews are far superior to long-form articles in both accessibility and practicality, YTers also need only do what they desire. There's a lot more that goes into YT reviews and Podcasts, so it's understandable that they don't try and do everything they possibly can.

YT also has very different motivations when you're successful in it's medium, very rarely are you able be candid with your audience, especially in an industry where professional critics don't exist. You have to play not to your audience but the safest position with little substance and walk the line of what keeps criticism away from them so they can grow, or add something else like comedy to fill the gap as they might be a lighthearted channel rather than a front for something they aren't.

The channels that are stark and take hard positions with deep analysis are few and far between, at least for anime, whether you agree or not a real critic system is supposed to be an aggregate one. Some people like this have found momentary success and have their channels degrade, but there will always be that pocket that gets bigger the more these other channels tread safely and don't care about substance.

Lunilah said:
Point is, i see a lot of people disagree with anitubers who take hard stances on things and praise the people who don't. Whether either group is wrong doesn't matter, what matters is taking it upon yourself to recognize how much thought goes into your hate for someone you disagree with, and acknowledge that breaking down why you disagreed with them is probably more analytical than anything your favorite anituber has ever said in recent videos.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jan 12, 2019 7:51 AM

Oct 2010
I don't think they are, but then again, most people on the internet aren't good critics. YouTube is not any better or worse, and I actually think that in that site in specific it's better for anime than for other media... speaking as a movie fan, I've barely found anything worth.
Jan 12, 2019 7:58 AM

Nov 2016
For the most part some of them on the list are hardly critics. We have great critics I believe but the community doesn't seem to care for criticism itself. Its all well and good until your favourite anime is being shat on. People need to be more open minded to these discussions. Some of the best critics I've seen are Digibro and Craftsword.
Jan 12, 2019 7:58 AM

Nov 2007
99.9% are just so bad that this should not even be made into a topic for discussions.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 12, 2019 8:03 AM

Sep 2016
I can't say cause its their opinions and everyone is titled to their own opinions and people can agree with what they say but they can have their own opinion ;p

(But to me anime shouldn't have critics ;p)
Jan 12, 2019 8:08 AM

Jan 2019
I've only seen a few YouTubers who legitimately have good reviews.

Mother's Basement for instance has some pretty good in-depth anime reviews, whereas some others that you named don't really have any.

I look at video reviews the same way I look at articles, with a grain of salt.
“What are you scared of? Nothing good has ever come from fear.” – Kawabuchi Sentarou
Jan 12, 2019 8:08 AM

Jan 2017
I dont watch anime youtubers, but a good critic is the one whose opinions and argumemts are unbiased. If u think they satisfy this criteria then they are good, otherwise not.
Jan 12, 2019 8:40 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I think quite a few of them are good but some of them have gone way down hill. Like of course subjectivitiy and taste come into fact and I can get behind someone I don't always agree with like Digi or Aleczandxr (who make great cases and aren't click baiting the seasonal shit) but some like Gigguk, PedanticRomantic, and especially MothersBasement have become so washed into the need of playing lip service to fans and I get to build an audience and make money you have to but some of them,,,,,sheesh, have some original ideas maybeeeee.
Jan 12, 2019 8:50 AM

Dec 2017
critics? i dunno, i would say that it's definitely interesting to hear digi's and the anime man opinions sometimes, due to how much shit they've seen. it's interesting to see things from a different perspective. i don't take the criticizing part seriously tho
gigguk makes good analysis video essays. geoff is garbage
Jan 12, 2019 8:57 AM
Jul 2018
I do like Gigguk cause he makes me laugh. Occasionally I'll watch a MB video but I don't take either to heart. Super Eyepatch Wolf does a really good job though, at least in my opinion.
Jan 12, 2019 9:08 AM

Nov 2016
Frroku said:

The worst Youtuber criticer, is undoubtedly Chibireviews. I just can't handle to that dude. He's so lame.

I think he isn't a Critic as much as he is a commentator. He just says his opinion about the Episode he just watched Without getting into it too much. Even though he Doesn't say anything significant, He is the Guy you go to To see An Average fan's Opinion about an Anime. Its nice to see someone like that in a Sea of Elitists.

OT: Anitube has its ups and Downs in every aspect. For Example we have a lot of very good Comedic Youtubers like Noble, Nux and Gigguk while we have others that are more Serious and "Elitist" like Digi, SuperEyepatchWolf and Others(Most of them are Still good though. The Point when I think an Anituber Fails is when they become more or less a news channel without giving their opinion about stuff but that is just my opinion.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2019 9:22 AM

May 2016
If your only accomplishment is making things on YouTube, that makes you a profiteer and an entertainer, and nothing more.
Jan 12, 2019 9:23 AM

Feb 2018
only if they agree with me.
they have shit taste otherwise
Jan 12, 2019 11:39 AM

Feb 2012
Criticism has been in a crisis for a long while now. People don't really need anyone to point them to the stuff they might be interested in with so many other options available, so they've turned into jesters themselves. The "goodness" is not measured by their insight, but by their ability to be funny. Personally I rather watch a funny series than a funny critic myself.
Jan 12, 2019 11:51 AM

Sep 2018
I haven't really gone searching for them because all and all I don't need some self important jerk telling me what I should and shouldn't like. Though I have gotten exposed to some of them, and I have never been impressed. They never really have anything new to say about a subject and they always talk in superlatives, this or that is the best or worst thing ever, and it always feels less like they are saying their own opinions but what they think fans want to hear in order to get those all mighty clicks and likes. Everything on youtube is more about playing the system and getting those all mighty youtube bux now than actually delivering quality content. Then when people complain about it they just point the finger at youtube, as if it isn't their own greed.
Jan 12, 2019 12:50 PM

Oct 2014
No, not really. Anime "critics" are far too opinionated and biased. True critics are nothing but objective. Most "anitubers" are quite young though, so expecting them to have this ability would be a bit naive.
Jan 12, 2019 1:16 PM

Jul 2014
@HopefulNihilist You should check out GoatJesus. A lot of his videos are more academic than most of his contemporaries. Barely uploads tho.

Take care of yourself

Jan 12, 2019 1:27 PM

Apr 2015
I think to be a movie/book/musical/opera critic you'd need education/work background regarding that to have any kind higher ground in your critics, so same would ably to anime/manga. Anitubers as far as I know have ended up as a "critic" through their hobby and what I have seen try to mainly entertain audience to create 'fanbase' for themselves, like every tuber and they are entertainers. For some odd reason anitubers' opinions are regarded as gospel truth, when it's really just a fan exchanging thoughts to other fans.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» When did anime become mainstream? Or do you think it's still not mainstream???

LenRea - May 13

35 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - May 10

116 by district_marvel »»
3 minutes ago

» Characters born on the same day/month as you ?

Yonahim_Zz - May 13

34 by MeguSae38 »»
3 minutes ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime?

The-Wombat - 4 hours ago

8 by Blackfire2340 »»
12 minutes ago

» Are anime getting worse and worse ?

Shomix - 5 hours ago

11 by alshu »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.