Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 30, 2018 1:12 AM

Sep 2018
I mean I get it that more popular = more people that hates the show

But if the score is good like more than 8 then there are bound to be more people that love the show than the ones that hate it, right? Even the stats say so.

So why is it that always the top review is negative?

I get that people can make alt accounts but people from both sides do that.

Is it that people who live the show don't give a shit about reviews? Or do they all just die while the show is going on (I'm serious)

I know I am making wayy to many threads about this topic but there are a bunch of questions coming to my mind on this topic. (sorry to bother)
We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 30, 2018 1:15 AM

Feb 2018
Everyone that dislikes a show is more likely to vote for that one negative review among the top contenders, unlike the fans of the show which often spread out their votes among multiple different ones.
Also they aren't always negative top reviews, you just need to accept that there are lots of people with different tastes, and there also being a negative top review just reflects that.
Dec 30, 2018 1:17 AM
Dec 2018
People naturally love negative stuff about how things are.
Dec 30, 2018 1:23 AM
May 2016
always? i'm gonna need some sources on that claim, realistically what's happening is anime with a negative review at the top sticks out to you much more because it is more uncommon than a positive review at the top
Dec 30, 2018 1:31 AM

Jun 2017
Haters, people are more likely to click agree with a negative review and everything said above. That's why a show with a rating higher of 8 that people who watch like a lot can have a 1/10 as its top review. This is also why you always need to take every score with a grain of salt.
Signature.
Dec 30, 2018 1:31 AM

Sep 2018
Shiroanon said:
always? i'm gonna need some sources on that claim, realistically what's happening is anime with a negative review at the top sticks out to you much more because it is more uncommon than a positive review at the top

I meant by the top seasonal shows.

Just look at this season..
We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Dec 30, 2018 1:36 AM

Dec 2016
Because since men crawled out of the slime, negativity has always been more attractive than positivity.

And because haters are always more vocal than fanboys.
Dec 30, 2018 1:38 AM

Aug 2013
Perhaps, and this is just a wild guess, fans of a popular anime don't feel as incentivize as non-fans to upvote reviews that are favorable because the score for the anime they like is sufficiently high, whereas someone that dislikes a popular show with a high score may be more encouraged to find and upvote unfavorable reviews? Again, it's just a guess. I suggest not caring too much about it though, OP.
Dec 30, 2018 1:44 AM

Oct 2017
Unlike the fans of a series, haters/trolls/whatever you can think of vote reviews blindly. Also, majority of the users use MAL only for tracking anime/manga and nothing else, they couldn't care less about anything else on here. Even I don't care about reviews, and if I remember correctly I've used "helpful" only twice or may be thrice on this site and that's it. And those reviews too weren't actually the top ones.

Also, there's nothing wrong with having negative reviews unless they comprise of baseless crap, which is mostly the case on MAL especially after 2015. And the show you're the most concerned about, that is Bunny Girl Senpai, has negative reviews which make no sense (I've only read the first and third review), and they basically are troll reviews. But nothing can be done regarding this, since the site's owner itself doesn't give a crap about anything. You need to move on, that's it.
Dec 30, 2018 1:51 AM
May 2016
Bloe said:
Shiroanon said:

when a show gets a lot of acclaim, it's gonna draw a lot more people. and with a lot more people comes a higher amount of people who dislike it. but when overall, support for the show is monumentally larger than distaste for the show, it seems natural that people who dislike it are going to seek out and support the negative opinions inbetween the vast sea of positive opinions, so people can understand their point of view
Dec 30, 2018 1:52 AM

Sep 2017
I was confused by this because of VE the score didn't match the reviews. It's like people like the show but when it comes to up voting the reviews they think are correct, the don't.

ボールルームダンサー
Dec 30, 2018 1:53 AM

Jun 2017
Not "always" top reviews are negative. Slice of Life, CGDCT and iyashikei shows rarely have negative reviews and for other genres you have many example like Kimi no na wa that many people don't like it that much but none of the top reviews are negative. Also obscure seasonal shows always have just positive reviews so more people gonna watch it because of review.

But even if we don't consider above things those people with 8+ mean score rarely do other thing than just updating their anime and manga list and because of this shows have high mean score. But the haters are just "waiting" for one negative review and then upvoting it without reading it but since "most" reviews are positive anyways the people who like the show don't know upvote which review and upvoting all of those reviews are tiring and meaningless.
Dec 30, 2018 1:54 AM

Sep 2017
Shiroanon said:
Bloe said:

when a show gets a lot of acclaim, it's gonna draw a lot more people. and with a lot more people comes a higher amount of people who dislike it. but when overall, support for the show is monumentally larger than distaste for the show, it seems natural that people who dislike it are going to seek out and support the negative opinions inbetween the vast sea of positive opinions, so people can understand their point of view

I'm still not cleared. The people who like the show are also having up vote option.
So why is it that only the people who hate the sow does that?

ボールルームダンサー
Dec 30, 2018 1:56 AM

Mar 2017
Shows like 3 Gatsu no Lion S2, Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal and The Tatami Galaxy have all 10 top reviews while others have all 9s or 10s. Controversial ones like Steins;Gate 0, NGNL, Psycho Pass will have one yes because people who disagree with the majority will collectively find that review helpful.
Dec 30, 2018 2:01 AM
May 2016
Ballroomdancer said:
Shiroanon said:

I'm still not cleared. The people who like the show are also having up vote option.
So why is it that only the people who hate the sow does that?

because the positive voice is already out there. the show he's referring to is bunny girl senpai, and that has a 8.67 mean score. they've already voiced their opinion, i don't think they need positive reviews
Dec 30, 2018 2:06 AM

Oct 2018
Aleph199X said:
Haters, people are more likely to click agree with a negative review and everything said above. That's why a show with a rating higher of 8 that people who watch like a lot can have a 1/10 as its top review. This is also why you always need to take every score with a grain of salt.

I’d say take the reviews with a barrel of salt
Dec 30, 2018 2:13 AM

May 2018
Every damn title has tons of pointless 10s reviews from fanboys and they're mostly incompetent and boring to read. It annoys when they are in top.
Negative reviews happen to be a bit more interesting and adequate
Nemo_NiemandDec 30, 2018 2:20 AM

Dec 30, 2018 2:29 AM

Apr 2018
Air-117 said:
Shows like 3 Gatsu no Lion S2, Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal and The Tatami Galaxy have all 10 top reviews while others have all 9s or 10s. Controversial ones like Steins;Gate 0, NGNL, Psycho Pass will have one yes because people who disagree with the majority will collectively find that review helpful.

"Controversial" it's definitely not the right word, "popular" would fit way better there.
Let's be honest, the only reason why those shows have no negative reviews at the top is because no one but their fandom gives enough of a fuck about those shows to go upvote the reviews.
Not to say those shows are bad, actually I haven't watched none of them, just saying negative reviews are a matter of popularity rather than quality.
Dec 30, 2018 2:30 AM

Dec 2017
"Top" reviews is always going to be biased with people voting helpful when they either see a familiar reviewer or a score that they agree with. With that being said, I don't think that adding in a "not helpful" button would help either since vote manipulation via bots or other methods can easily happen.

And no, not all top reviews are negative.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Dec 30, 2018 2:42 AM

Jan 2016
Oh, it's you again. How many thread will you make about this shit OP?
Dec 30, 2018 2:48 AM

Oct 2015
It's not. You're letting your selection bias and saltiness show, OP. Again.

Dec 30, 2018 2:54 AM

Jan 2017
They aren't. @Bloe please stop plaguing AD with these pointless threads
Dec 30, 2018 2:54 AM

May 2013
Firstly, I don't know why that is a problem for you.

Second, top reviews are not ALWAYS negative, don't know how you came to such a conclusion for all the anime out there. Did you run some experiments?

Third, people like to join the hype-train to bash/fan-boi the shit out of anything popular. Just an example of group-think . It's a normal thing every season.

As a random example, the top review of Re:Zero calls it a shounen-fare. That's all you need to read to understand what MAL reviews are really all about. lmao

there's nothing to discuss about who reviews what tbh, so I'm not sure why that is a problem for you.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Dec 30, 2018 3:06 AM

Nov 2016
For me, people opinions doesn't bother me and affect my life. If an anime has a low score, i don't mind watching it as long as i enjoy it. Even tho people said it's a garbage or i have a shit taste, i don't give a shit. I Watch what i wanna watch, this is entertainment, just like music or american movies. Not all people like sweets food, but there's also some people who like bitter food. People have different taste. It's subjective, not objective. ^.^
Dec 30, 2018 3:08 AM

Jun 2012
Outrage gets people moving more than anything else.

SAO debacle was ridiculous, FranXX whiners were hilarious and Goblin Slayer complainers are just pathetic. They are entertainment. Sure, you can ridicule them and maybe jab their fans here and there, but absolutely nothing should make you lose your mind when a piece of entertainment is involved.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Dec 30, 2018 3:25 AM

Jan 2018
OP you're becoming more of an attention-seeking waste of time than those users with negative takes on shows you constantly complain about. Just stop now while you can.
Dec 30, 2018 3:38 AM

Jul 2017
Reii09 said:
For me, people opinions doesn't bother me and affect my life. If an anime has a low score, i don't mind watching it as long as i enjoy it. Even tho people said it's a garbage or i have a shit taste, i don't give a shit. I Watch what i wanna watch, this is entertainment, just like music or american movies. Not all people like sweets food, but there's also some people who like bitter food. People have different taste. It's subjective, not objective. ^.^
This. OP (@Bloe), just read this, think, and don't let that kind of thing get to you. In the end, when you watch an anime, your OWN OPINION is what matters the most, not what the others say because they aren't gods, you DON'T HAVE TO AGREE with what they say, and what they say is just based on their personal experiences, simple as that really. They're just sharing their opinions too, and they are free to do so, may they be trolling, talking seriously, talking absolute nonsense, anything, we can't control other people.

Reviews are just a piece of text that do not reflect what the anime is/what the anime should be. They are just opinions. And i have great news for you: What the anime is, is what YOU THINK OF IT. If you think like this and don't waste your precious energy on these kinds of things, you'll feel much better yourself. It's no use crying over this anymore, only you can take care of your personal issues.
WaterLordDec 30, 2018 3:42 AM
Dec 30, 2018 4:03 AM

Apr 2017
Ok kid, lets break this down. The claim that more popular = more hate is preposterous. 4 of the top 5 most popular anime on this site have received numerous positive reviews, not one in each of their top 4 reviews having a score below 5. Even this season's most popular show, Goblin Slayer, from the time of this comment currently has its top 4 reviews made up of 3 overwhelmingly positive (and possibly trolling) reviews and one review from one of the most popular reviewers on the site giving it a 5/10. The top reviews for them are in praise of the show.

But lets say this claim may only work for series that are both popular AND highly praised by the consencus of MAL users. Well even ignoring the fact that 4 of the top 5 most popular shows here have mean scores above 8.00 and 3 of them are in the top 100 rated anime on MAL (*quick breath*), let's use the example from last season, Attack on Titan S3. Currently a 8.52 score and has 3 of the top reviews for it with scores 8 and above with the other being written by the guy who's lately been seen as a troll of the community (that actually fits more in line with your fallacious method of getting popular). Even if we decide to remove sequels from the equation, then the most popular new series of the year, Violet Evergarden, also amounts to having positive reviews accumulating all 4 top spots.

Your point is basically rendered mute when you even bother to look at just how often this happens. Negative reviews, more often than not, do not receive the most amount of helpfuls, and when you look at how rarely any popular series in recently memory has a mean score below 7, it's clear to grasp why this is: most people like these shows and this fact is more often than not reflected in the reviews given to them. I have to wonder how far you looked into this idea of yours to see how factual it is, but all it seems to amount to is a pathetic salty argument from someone probably hiding behind an alt account to voice his personal displeasure as something more valuable than orthless complaining. Now for all that is good and holy...

Get over it.
Dec 30, 2018 4:28 AM

Dec 2016
Arkab said:
Because since men crawled out of the slime, negativity has always been more attractive than positivity.

And because haters are always more vocal than fanboys.

Lol... I'm not that sure anymore of my own belief seeing now that the majority of the top 4 reviews of GS have surprisingly turned positive xD.
Dec 30, 2018 4:31 AM

Jul 2015
well i dont read or write reviews so ill be clean with u
people are either attention seekers or they have diffrent taste , and thats all just accept it

Well...
Dec 30, 2018 5:13 AM

Dec 2016
i haven't found that negative reviews are always at the top but, if they are, that's probably just cause they tend to be funnier.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Dec 30, 2018 5:16 AM

Oct 2010
They are factually not, and I think this answers the thread. Any further reasoning is feeding a false premise.
Dec 30, 2018 5:44 AM

Sep 2018
Detective1412 said:
Oh, it's you again. How many thread will you make about this shit OP?
Orhunaa said:
It's not. You're letting your selection bias and saltiness show, OP. Again.

EurekaLuke said:
They aren't. @Bloe please stop plaguing AD with these pointless threads

Just two more on this. Please bare with me..

I'm sorry if it's irritating but I just don't want to keep them to myself and ask them.
BTW I am talking about top seasonal shows and they ARE ALWAYS negative.

We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Dec 30, 2018 5:53 AM

Jun 2016
CSKaori said:
OP you're becoming more of an attention-seeking waste of time than those users with negative takes on shows you constantly complain about. Just stop now while you can.

Lol even my arch nemesis calling you out xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2018 5:56 AM

Jan 2017
Bloe said:

Factually incorrect and everyone here knows it.

CasualViewer2001 said:
Ok kid, lets break this down. The claim that more popular = more hate is preposterous. 4 of the top 5 most popular anime on this site have received numerous positive reviews, not one in each of their top 4 reviews having a score below 5. Even this season's most popular show, Goblin Slayer, from the time of this comment currently has its top 4 reviews made up of 3 overwhelmingly positive (and possibly trolling) reviews and one review from one of the most popular reviewers on the site giving it a 5/10. The top reviews for them are in praise of the show.

But lets say this claim may only work for series that are both popular AND highly praised by the consencus of MAL users. Well even ignoring the fact that 4 of the top 5 most popular shows here have mean scores above 8.00 and 3 of them are in the top 100 rated anime on MAL (*quick breath*), let's use the example from last season, Attack on Titan S3. Currently a 8.52 score and has 3 of the top reviews for it with scores 8 and above with the other being written by the guy who's lately been seen as a troll of the community (that actually fits more in line with your fallacious method of getting popular). Even if we decide to remove sequels from the equation, then the most popular new series of the year, Violet Evergarden, also amounts to having positive reviews accumulating all 4 top spots.

Your point is basically rendered mute when you even bother to look at just how often this happens. Negative reviews, more often than not, do not receive the most amount of helpfuls, and when you look at how rarely any popular series in recently memory has a mean score below 7, it's clear to grasp why this is: most people like these shows and this fact is more often than not reflected in the reviews given to them. I have to wonder how far you looked into this idea of yours to see how factual it is, but all it seems to amount to is a pathetic salty argument from someone probably hiding behind an alt account to voice his personal displeasure as something more valuable than orthless complaining. Now for all that is good and holy...

Get over it.

Ok, this was epic.
Dec 30, 2018 5:57 AM
Aug 2016
Why are you so reluctant to use your main? C'mon big guy I don't bite
Dec 30, 2018 5:59 AM

Aug 2017
Maybe because a negative review is more interesting,as it gives a point of view that reveals the series flaws that the fans may not have found out . Because a review that just says "yeah this is great because {...} " Is not that usefull
Sorry for my english tho
Dec 30, 2018 6:02 AM

Dec 2015
Bloe said:

But if the score is good like more than 8 then there are bound to be more people that love the show than the ones that hate it, right? Even the stats say so.

Stop with this bullshit. Go look at the top 4 reviews of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Monster,Shinsekai Yori, Mushishi. Hunter x Hunter (2011), Berserk, Space Brothers etc. Just cause your favourite show has negative reviews doesn't mean it's the same for all.
Dec 30, 2018 6:35 AM
Jul 2018
Aslt said:
Why are you so reluctant to use your main?

Could be because he doesn't want to get hacked and lose all his bank.
Dec 30, 2018 6:57 AM
May 2016
Bloe said:

not agreeing with the opinions of others is fine, but you are factually wrong here, just look at the top reviews of these examples provided
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37430/Tensei_shitara_Slime_Datta_Ken
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37976/Zombieland_Saga
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37991/JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken__Ougon_no_Kaze
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35847/SSSSGridman
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37475/Kishuku_Gakkou_no_Juliet
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37786/Yagate_Kimi_ni_Naru
i could post some more if you'd like, not like it's particularly hard to find them yourself
Dec 30, 2018 7:57 AM

Dec 2017
because criticizing the work by analyzing and describing the flaws is better than sugarcoating the shit it has

btw
"I meant by the top seasonal shows.
Just look at this season.."

yeah, this season was rather meh and even bad at some parts, so it's reasonable
Dec 30, 2018 8:01 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
If you don't like negative reviews, then don't read them.

Feb 2010
How come when people talk about 'all anime' or 'always' they generally just mean 'the most recent season' which is less than 1% of anime? And usually not even that is true...
I probably regret this post by now.

Aug 2017
How are the top reviews ALWAYS positive?

Love-Shonen said:
Top reviews are negative for the same reason why "dark and mature" shows are always popular. Most people on this community have it good in life and sadly, majority of folks always wants to see that dark human nature when they have it good, they would think they have it bad. Majority's thinking is rather sad.

Well, that's how it is. People love cheap effortless drama. They'd drop a legendary anime without giving it a proper chance just to read those negative reviews and say "phew, now I can be lazy and not watch those 100+ episodes with peace in my mind! Let's go watch memes".

By the way, TC, your signature is disgusting. I am not a fan of Sword Art Online and I think it's not good for anime as a whole, but you are in no position to say "fans of SAO know their anime is garbage". It's rather easy to figure out where the real garbage is here. Your signature was reported, hopefully MAL staff will finally do something and block you.

I don't think so. The community of MAL are biased against dark shows...just compare Mahou Shoujo Site, Goblin Slayer, Happy Sugar Life, Satsuriku no Tenshi and Devilman Crybaby with Yuru Camp, Violet Evergarden and Sora Yori for example. There's a positivity bias for SOL, drama and cute girls.. In any case, that's what I think.
NurguburuDec 30, 2018 8:28 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 30, 2018 8:03 AM

Sep 2018
Johan_Liebert_ said:
Bloe said:

Stop with this bullshit. Go look at the top 4 reviews of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Monster,Shinsekai Yori, Mushishi. Hunter x Hunter (2011), Berserk, Space Brothers etc. Just cause your favourite show has negative reviews doesn't mean it's the same for all.

I am talking about seasonal shows you fucking idiot.
and Just cause your favourite show has positive reviews doesn't mean it's the same for all.
BloeDec 30, 2018 8:07 AM
We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Dec 30, 2018 8:04 AM

Sep 2018
Nurguburu said:
How are the top reviews ALWAYS positive?

Wow, and I thought I ask dumb questions..

I AM TALKING ABOUT THE TOP SEASONAL SHOWS
We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Dec 30, 2018 8:06 AM

Sep 2018
Shiroanon said:
Bloe said:

not agreeing with the opinions of others is fine, but you are factually wrong here, just look at the top reviews of these examples provided
i could post some more if you'd like, not like it's particularly hard to find them yourself

Ok let me rephrase it a little bit more TOP seasonal completed shows that are not considered underrated when the finish.
We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Dec 30, 2018 8:15 AM
May 2016
Bloe said:
Shiroanon said:

Ok let me rephrase it a little bit more TOP seasonal completed shows that are not considered underrated when the finish.

none of those are considered underrated? and they're also all top shows? are you just going to keep on changing the parameters until it just literally only fits bunny girl senpai?
Dec 30, 2018 8:19 AM

Sep 2018
Shiroanon said:
Bloe said:

none of those are considered underrated? and they're also all top shows? are you just going to keep on changing the parameters until it just literally only fits bunny girl senpai?

1. I don't like Bunny girl senpai so thanks for guessing that I do.

2. Are u kidding me? Except Slime which is not finished each show here is not even at the 100 thousand mark. They didn't even qualify in the first place.

We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Dec 30, 2018 8:21 AM

Dec 2015
Bloe said:

I am talking about seasonal shows you fucking idiot.

Hahaha. Is it my fault that you like shit shows? And most of the seasonal shows this season aren't even that good, so no wonder they have negative reviews.

Only Jojo Part 5 and Golden Kamuy 2 are worth watching this season and they both have positive reviews on top.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Your favorite anime of each year from 2010 - 2020 ( 1 2 3 4 )

xAki1ra_ - May 21, 2021

161 by Spunkert »»
47 seconds ago

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - 4 hours ago

13 by Shirayukin »»
1 minute ago

» Hentai Tags ( 1 2 )

HentaixxHunter - May 16, 2022

89 by Hikinekomori »»
12 minutes ago

» Would you support AI generated Anime?

Dragevard - 12 hours ago

35 by Piromysl »»
12 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

66 by Zimmu »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.