Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 29, 2018 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ash is in a weird position imo. He needs to gain more allies but it's not always easy to trust them. Not to mention, he's got Lao hunting his ass now.

As expected, there's still violence brewing out between the various factions. I wonder how long this will go on before everything is settled tbh. Ash is still far from safe tbh and really needs to watch himself.

Stark700Nov 29, 2018 9:40 AM
Nov 29, 2018 9:29 AM

Aug 2018
...They cut out Ash's conversation with Nadia. It was a really heartfelt conversation that I considered to be rather important. But I guess MAPPA didn't think so.

On another note, we've reached the end of volume 16. Three volumes left. And with this, I personally think there's a high possibility the epilogue is getting adapted as part of the final episode.
Nov 29, 2018 11:09 AM
Feb 2009
The show is so damn good it makes me really sad that it's being hammered by the episode count so bad at the end now. Feels like they've been trying to cram the last half of the manga into only the last third of the show. Wonder what it could've been like if they had 30 episodes instead of 24.
Nov 29, 2018 11:18 AM
Nov 2018
This episode....was good...I want to know what is going to happen next!!! Only 3 more episodes, my heart races every time from Banana fish
Nov 29, 2018 11:20 AM

Jun 2014
Things did feel like they moved pretty fast in this episode, but it was still very intense. I'm scared of what's to come, given the way this episode ended.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 29, 2018 11:34 AM
Sep 2018
Max burning Ash's pictures highkey made me emotional.
Nov 29, 2018 12:00 PM

Apr 2017
"i'm never getting married"
joke's on you, sweeties. you've been married this whole damn time
Nov 29, 2018 12:33 PM

Dec 2015
how many times have the bad guys™ used ash's loved ones as lynx baits??? the guilt the boy must feel from simply loving them breaks my heart episode by episode aaa thank god i'm a masochist=)!
Nov 29, 2018 12:36 PM

Jun 2009
wow it doesnt let loose another great action packt ep
only sad thing aboutit is that just 3 eps left :/ will miss it for sure
10/10
Nov 29, 2018 12:46 PM

Nov 2016
Ash always gets captured, lmao.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 29, 2018 12:49 PM
Nov 2015
absolutely It's the better anime of this year. Great episode,anyway
Nov 29, 2018 1:06 PM

Jul 2017
Good episode! Very intense and the scene at the gay club was kinda funny.
Nov 29, 2018 1:16 PM

Sep 2011
My poor Yut-Lung, now that he finally exacted his revenge he is getting lost, going as far as using blood ties, the very source of all of his misery and suffering, to try and get to Ash, if only Blanca could do something for him.

So Eiji's little sister gave him a luck charm for love before he left Japan, huh. It worked, he got a hot, handsome, smart, and skilled boyfriend, but since the universe has to keep the balance they are pretty much in peril all the time. Was it worth it? Ash's last talk with Blanca has the answer. Also poor Ash, he had to revisit yet another traumatic experience to help Max expose those scum, but god I wish that were me, the one with Max's arm around my waist I mean. lol

No wonder he was harassed, still the best daddy by far. Not that this is funny, gay men can truly be... As "predatory" as straight men are. But at least those photos with Ash are forever gone; he said that they could use them, but I was really glad when I saw Max burning them. To be honest I'm just really glad to see Max back at all, he is one of my favorite characters by far.

Jessica is still the best girl to ever grace this story, and she still loves Max, here's hoping for a happy ending to them, even if all the odds are against it. I also really liked how Eiji was the one who made Ash see through the plan of their enemy with his innocent question. I mean, I don't think he was actively trying to help, maybe he was, but what matters is that he really helped!

But this cliffhanger is going to kill me, I can only hope that Jessica, Eiji, and Sing are going to make the difference now that they are going back there. It seems they can never win! Though this is another great aspect here.
Nov 29, 2018 1:25 PM

Sep 2017
That felt super jam packed and some scene transitions felt pretty jarring. Guessing a lot of that was rushed/cut. I mean we get a new villain outta blue like that and by the end of the episode they are having a big confrontation.
Nov 29, 2018 2:03 PM

Jan 2014
FMmatron said:

Yeah I was gonna say this happens a lot lol

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 29, 2018 2:10 PM

Mar 2012
Still trying to figure out how I feel about this episode. So much jam packed in and so much cut out. Ash was the one to make the comment about understanding how women feel but they gave it to Max. Froggy's demise was quick and left off screen and the conversation Ash had with Nadia, Shorter's sister was cut. That's a real shame because it made it clear that Shorter's family understand Ash and have no ill will against him.

I wonder at the fast pace this is going at if the epilogue is gonna be part of episode 24. Not sure how I feel about it because it's gonna be a lot to take in for such a short time.

Welcome back Jessica.
Lunallae said:
...They cut out Ash's conversation with Nadia. It was a really heartfelt conversation that I considered to be rather important. But I guess MAPPA didn't think so.

On another note, we've reached the end of volume 16. Three volumes left. And with this, I personally think there's a high possibility the epilogue is getting adapted as part of the final episode.
Looks that way. It's a real shame about the scene with Nadia. This sort of thing is the problem with such a short episode count. Nadia is not a character in this anime at all. Now I wonder if a heart felt conversation Ash has with Jessica will be cut like I believe.

I now wish there were director's cuts of the blu-rays that included things that just could not fit in the TV broadcasts.
FMmatron said:
Ash is a distressed dude. The price he pays for actually having a heart in that world.
MetaKiteNov 29, 2018 4:19 PM
Nov 29, 2018 4:32 PM

Feb 2016
Well, how the turns have tabled, this episode felt quite rushed tbh.

Zelev said:
FMmatron said:

I'm starting to feel a pattern now lol
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 29, 2018 5:04 PM

Aug 2017
Oh no, Ash is in trouble again.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 29, 2018 5:55 PM

Dec 2016
Eiji rubbing his eyes was very cute to watch X3 He makes the best sleepy faces <3

Ash always ends up getting surrounded in a most critical moment :( He cares a lot about his gang, especially Eiji!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Nov 29, 2018 5:57 PM
Nov 2018
The pacing is too fast this time wtf. I hope they don't ruin this.

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Nov 29, 2018 6:17 PM

Aug 2018
MetaKite said:
Still trying to figure out how I feel about this episode. So much jam packed in and so much cut out. Ash was the one to make the comment about understanding how women feel but they gave it to Max. Froggy's demise was quick and left off screen and the conversation Ash had with Nadia, Shorter's sister was cut. That's a real shame because it made it clear that Shorter's family understand Ash and have no ill will against him.

I wonder at the fast pace this is going at if the epilogue is gonna be part of episode 24. Not sure how I feel about it because it's gonna be a lot to take in for such a short time.

Welcome back Jessica.
Lunallae said:

Looks that way. It's a real shame about the scene with Nadia. This sort of thing is the problem with such a short episode count. Nadia is not a character in this anime at all. Now I wonder if a heart felt conversation Ash has with Jessica will be cut like I believe.

I now wish there were director's cuts of the blu-rays that included things that just could not fit in the TV broadcasts.

Yeah... that scene with Nadia was really good and I'm rather confused at some of MAPPA's choices for which scenes to keep. Like they could have condensed Sing begging for Ash's help and cut Sing asking Ash about killing Shorter and then Sing sitting next to Lao because I personally think those scenes aren't very important. I don't know why they didn't use a cellphone shortcut to save Max instead of having Ash rush there and engage in combat either (it could have shortened the scene as well). Granted, Nadia's conversation is not that most important scene either but I would have much preferred it over some of the scenes we got.

I think we're getting the epilogue.
Nov 29, 2018 6:47 PM
Jul 2017
Lunarhawk said:
The show is so damn good it makes me really sad that it's being hammered by the episode count so bad at the end now. Feels like they've been trying to cram the last half of the manga into only the last third of the show. Wonder what it could've been like if they had 30 episodes instead of 24.
I actually thought the BF anime was only going to be 1 cour at first because I was under the impression that all noitamina anime were 1 cour only. Having 3 cours to adapt the entirety of the manga would definitely have been much better, but I think MAPPA has been doing okay given what they had to work with. I liked that they took more time to adapt the first half of the manga because that meant more Shorter screentime because that gives more time to develop the main cast before the action ramps up. I personally don't mind them cutting more content from the Foxx arc because when I read the manga I felt that the plot was getting too draggy by that point. To be honest I would have been okay with them cutting the entire arc in order to fit the story into 24 episodes better but I understand that MAPPA wants to stay true to the source material and that going anime-original would be taking a lot of risks.

MetaKite said:
It's a real shame about the scene with Nadia. This sort of thing is the problem with such a short episode count. Nadia is not a character in this anime at all. Now I wonder if a heart felt conversation Ash has with Jessica will be cut like I believe.
It's sad how MAPPA chose to cut a lot of the side characters' screentime in order to fit the series into the episode limit (RIP Nadia and Charlie). Given that though, I don't think the Ash and Jessica conversation will be cut because it provides some really important characterisation for Ash. Plus, if they cut that conversation they might as well have cut Jessica's appearance entirely like they cut Nadia.

Lunallae said:

tenshirousNov 29, 2018 6:51 PM
Nov 29, 2018 6:52 PM
Nov 2018
At the pace we're going here, I'm not too hopeful for the ending. I haven't read the manga/I don't know how it plays out yet, but hearing that it's supposed to be highly emotional/distressing alongside people saying that we're going to get three volumes worth of plot/character development/relationship development in three episodes leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm pretty concerned about how it's gonna deliver lol. Good episode, but it felt highly rushed and cut, and I worry for the emotional impact that I've heard so much about if the following eps are fleshed out as little as this was. Who knows... I'm always excited for where this show will take me though..!!

((Also Yut Lung's hair is more gorgeous every ep thanks Mappa))
Nov 29, 2018 7:01 PM

Mar 2012
Lunallae said:

Yeah... that scene with Nadia was really good and I'm rather confused at some of MAPPA's choices for which scenes to keep. Like they could have condensed Sing begging for Ash's help and cut Sing asking Ash about killing Shorter and then Sing sitting next to Lao because I personally think those scenes aren't very important. I don't know why they didn't use a cellphone shortcut to save Max instead of having Ash rush there and engage in combat either (it could have shortened the scene as well). Granted, Nadia's conversation is not that most important scene either but I would have much preferred it over some of the scenes we got.

Gosh, I regret that this scene was left out. Ash giving Nadia some closure.

MetaKiteNov 29, 2018 7:34 PM
Nov 29, 2018 7:24 PM

Jan 2011
ash sure has been getting captured a lot , felt like these final episodes while intense have been dragging on now were're fighting mercs so even more people ash has to kill
Nov 29, 2018 7:33 PM

Aug 2018
tenshirous said:

Lunallae said:

MetaKite said:
Lunallae said:

MetaKite said:

Gosh, I regret that this scene was left out. Ash giving Nadia some closure.

Yeah, that was a great scene.
Nov 29, 2018 7:45 PM

Mar 2012
Lunallae said:
tenshirous said:

MetaKite said:

MAPPA shot themselves in the foot when they decided to make the series so short. There was no winning. They were gonna limp across the finish line from the get-go. I don't know if it was just a general lack of funding but 24 episodes was just to short and a bad decision IMO. Even just making it 26 episodes would have helped a bit with the pacing. The way some episodes were adapted and edited really hurt it. Episode 12 was too short to include everything so in episode 13 they created a flashback scenario in the middle of a firefight where there was no interruption in the action originally that messed up the tension. They also did that with end of episode 18 by mish-mashing a bunch of things almost like flashbacks inter-cut with present actions just to fit in everything Ash did after facing off with Blanca. These types of work-arounds are really going to hurt these last few episodes. MAPPA will be shooting themselves in the foot if episode 24 is as you say. It would be best as an OVA I say. Or at least if this series was 25 episodes then it could work but nope!

I also do miss the scene when Ash trained the gangs to fight back, scared them with his combat prowess and then needed Eiji to reassure him once again that Eiji wasn't afraid of him. I figured the training would be cut short but didn't think Ash asking Eiji would be cut. It sort of fleshes out their relationship a bit more of how much Ash depends on Eiji when others doubt him. Plus Lao got smacked around pretty good by Ash so it was satisfying.

tenshirous said:
Pretty much.
Nov 29, 2018 8:17 PM

Aug 2018
MetaKite said:
MAPPA shot themselves in the foot when they decided to make the series so short. There was no winning. They were gonna limp across the finish line from the get-go. I don't know if it was just a general lack of funding but 24 episodes was just to short and a bad decision IMO. Even just making it 26 episodes would have helped a bit with the pacing. The way some episodes were adapted and edited really hurt it. Episode 12 was too short to include everything so in episode 13 they created a flashback scenario in the middle of a firefight where there was no interruption in the action originally that messed up the tension. They also did that with end of episode 18 by mish-mashing a bunch of things almost like flashbacks inter-cut with present actions just to fit in everything Ash did after facing off with Blanca. These types of work-arounds are really going to hurt these last few episodes. MAPPA will be shooting themselves in the foot if episode 24 is as you say. It would be best as an OVA I say. Or at least if this series was 25 episodes then it could work but nope!

So I'm no expert on the process it takes to create anime. But I believe Banana Fish was greenlit for 24 episodes and that's pretty much a take it or leave it deal. At that point, the scriptwriters just have to do their best to with the episode count they got.

To be fair, I think the ending spot of almost every episode is on point. There are very few of them I would change. I personally think the problems stem from the fact that MAPPA did not make large cuts towards entire arcs. The mental hospital and/or the Foxx arc could have been cut, but they're both adapted. Of course, MAPPA might not have the rights to remove entire arcs, we wouldn't know. I don't fault them for not cutting, but they really just can't win.

MetaKite said:

I also do miss the scene when Ash trained the gangs to fight back, scared them with his combat prowess and then needed Eiji to reassure him once again that Eiji wasn't afraid of him. I figured the training would be cut short but didn't think Ash asking Eiji would be cut. It sort of fleshes out their relationship a bit more of how much Ash depends on Eiji when others doubt him. Plus Lao got smacked around pretty good by Ash so it was satisfying.

Personally, I found that scene unnecessary. I do like Eiji and Ash's banter after it, but besides for that, there was little reason the scene even took place. I just don't like volume 16 and I'm glad they sped through it. But the best case scenario would have been MAPPA cutting it entirely and re-writing events so we still reach the ending logically.
Nov 29, 2018 9:25 PM

Oct 2008
so this time they're fighting mercenaries huh!? what next govt military? what's next after that Black Ops surgical strike??? lolz
anyways another intense episode!
looks like Max and others got captured! and i wonder what's Ash's plan?
I think and others would be the reinforcements in the nick of time...i hope so cuz the wife of Max & others(Eiji) will be coming back to help!
5/5.

Nov 29, 2018 10:47 PM

Dec 2014
well it gets more and more serial...I kinda want to know who will survive in the end tough.... this is really something tragic
Nov 30, 2018 3:18 AM

Apr 2018
Jessica is such a badass.
Nov 30, 2018 4:36 AM

Oct 2013
they skipped so much....... if only this anime was three cour...
Nov 30, 2018 8:08 AM
Jul 2017
Apparently episode 24 will be 40 minutes long! That means the epilogue will definitely get adapted.
Nov 30, 2018 3:47 PM

Mar 2012
tenshirous said:
Apparently episode 24 will be 40 minutes long! That means the epilogue will definitely get adapted.
Well, that changes things. That's good to hear though but I guess it will be most of volume 18, the last chapter and the epilogue? Or just the last chapter and epilogue?
Nov 30, 2018 6:11 PM

Feb 2011
HereticHunter said:
Well, how the turns have tabled, this episode felt quite rushed tbh.

Zelev said:

I'm starting to feel a pattern now lol

My point exactly, for how simplistic the plot is it could have easily been wrapped out in 13 episodes. Now it's just getting repetitive.
Nov 30, 2018 10:10 PM

Apr 2012
here we go again...
Dec 1, 2018 7:11 AM

Dec 2016
Damnnnnnnn next episode is gonna be crazy
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 1, 2018 7:51 AM
Dec 2015
Lunallae said:

Ikr! That part was so sweet. I hope they add it in somewhere or something but seeing as they cut almost everything about her out they probably won’t.
I wonder what they’re going to do about garden of light, private opinion, and the other side story I forgot the name of. It seems like too much to put in the last few episodes along with the rest of the story, but maybe an ova or something?
anyway next ep will be rough. I don’t really want to watch it tbh
Dec 1, 2018 11:15 AM

Aug 2018
HIATUS_X_HIATUS said:
Lunallae said:

Ikr! That part was so sweet. I hope they add it in somewhere or something but seeing as they cut almost everything about her out they probably won’t.
I wonder what they’re going to do about garden of light, private opinion, and the other side story I forgot the name of. It seems like too much to put in the last few episodes along with the rest of the story, but maybe an ova or something?
anyway next ep will be rough. I don’t really want to watch it tbh

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any other logical place to move it to. I'm just annoyed that they kept the parts that emphasize Sing not telling Lao the truth behind Shorter's death in place of that. Like yeah, there is some misunderstanding between Lao and Ash, but that's not all there is so I hate it when they keep going back to it.

Garden of Light will almost 100% be in the last episode since it's going to be a double length episode. I don't think we're getting anything from Private Opinion or Fly Boy in these 24 episodes. But there might be an OVA or a Drama CD like what they did for Angel Eyes.
Dec 1, 2018 2:11 PM
Dec 2015
Lunallae said:

Garden of Light will almost 100% be in the last episode since it's going to be a double length episode. I don't think we're getting anything from Private Opinion or Fly Boy in these 24 episodes. But there might be an OVA or a Drama CD like what they did for Angel Eyes.

oh, its gonna be a double length episode? wow! then i agree, they probably will put garden of light in there. while the anime adaptation isn't bad or anything, i do find myself frustrated at what they choose to cut and emphasize with each new episode, but i probably sound like a broken record by now, haha.
Dec 1, 2018 4:13 PM

Jun 2009
I really hope Jessica and Max survive!
Dec 1, 2018 6:09 PM

Oct 2015
Jessica really loves Max, I hope they get through this together.

That mercenary is something else, maybe Ash has met his match in this one. I wonder how will he get through this huddle this time around?

Good episode,
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 1, 2018 8:51 PM

Jun 2013
I'm not that far into the manga but I remember when Jessica was raped by the Lee's men and Max and Ash came to save her, she smacked him but also kissed him. I wonder why they never showed that in the last cour. Anyway, not surprised, most Anime adaptations cut scenes, even essential ones, from the original source material all the time. It is rare for an Anime adaptation to be true to the source material.

The part when Max burnt Ash's child pornography photos from the past was very emotional. Ash is always willing to sacrifice himself his body, life, etc. but rarely has people who willing to do the same for him but now he has Eiji, Max, etc.
臭い-
Dec 2, 2018 6:08 AM

Jul 2016
Max is awesome. Hope he survives.
Dec 4, 2018 10:56 PM

May 2017
Good episode as always, but I feel like the animation has gone downhill. Guess they are runnin outta money or sumthin 😔
Dec 6, 2018 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
MetaKite said:
The price he pays for actually having a heart in that world.

This anime destroys me.
Now, I'm even more torn. :( That's a beautiful statement.
And I'm so afraid to watch the last episodes.
Dec 6, 2018 9:49 PM

Feb 2015
Eiji and Ash are at their den when Sung appeared in a bad state. Sung obviously want to help his people so they planned something. Yut-Lung is torturing his chinese hostages to get something. They save the chinese people that they could, while Golzine hired someone called Coronel Fox to hunt him. Ash visits his old apartment to look for information and Max was around there, so Ash helped him and to get some photos from a guy called Frog, that sells people clandestinely. They finally obtain the photos and after taking what they needed, Max burned them (Frog was found dead the next day). Caín people are being attacked in their dens, so Ash started investigating, just to discover that the person behind the attacks is a guy named Edward Fox; at the same time Max discovers that Robert was attacked too. Ash got in time with Max and Robert to help them. Max’s ex-wife came cause he sent someone to look for them while the things calm down, but as Fox is hunting them, that night he starts a plan where caught Max, so Ash gave himself.

Pretty entertaing episode, the action was cool and fluid, the story now evolved from Blanca’s hunt to Fox’s hunt, but the point is to caught Ash. Somehow, I don’t get why Max’s ex-wife is in this situation, a call or something could work, or a flash visit, but she’s there in the middle of the chaos. Ash’s hunting repeated by 2 people, little weird.
Atlas77Jan 1, 2019 9:28 PM
Dec 7, 2018 11:23 AM

Mar 2012
Lunallae said:

MetaKite said:

Personally, I found that scene unnecessary. I do like Eiji and Ash's banter after it, but besides for that, there was little reason the scene even took place. I just don't like volume 16 and I'm glad they sped through it. But the best case scenario would have been MAPPA cutting it entirely and re-writing events so we still reach the ending logically.
I like it if only because we got to see Ash drop kick Lao. Which is even more satisfying in retrospect.
Dec 7, 2018 4:39 PM

May 2018
Dec 15, 2018 3:18 PM

Jul 2016
And once again Ash's love ones are used as bait to capture him... and here I was thinking that Max wouldn't die at all but now, I'm a bit scared.

Not to mention that he's now dealing with ex-mercenaries... so I wonder how they will manage to get rid of them. I guess Jessica -Welcome Back!- and Eiji will be of importance regarding this. Looking forward to it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Any differences?

Mangahater - Apr 27

10 by MickeyMinaj »»
Apr 29, 2:09 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2018

346 by carladepalabras »»
Apr 25, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2018

121 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:55 PM

» how gay is this shit?

KuroudoAkabane - May 14, 2023

37 by Merve2Love »»
Apr 13, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

66 by unclearjustice »»
Dec 26, 2023 8:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.